Presidents' Day, Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 5: Always A Marine - "Oorah!"


 

One week after the announcement, the Senate had started preparations to hold confirmation hearings for President Walsh's nominee for Vice President, and by Wednesday of the following week, the first of these hearings were held.

The nominee herself had also been preparing. She had moved all of her appointments back, and made sure her entire workload was taken care of by her staff.

With the help of Kat and Max, Effie was able to go through the pile of data that her people had gathered for her. By the end of the week, she was completely conversant about all of the country's senators, including their histories, and their strengths and weaknesses.

She was now also fully conversant with all of the major issues that the country was interested in, even in the area of popular culture and other... less political spheres of interest.

Of course, this was only possible because of Kat's and Max's help in culling the material that they got, as well as selecting those particular topics and issues and interests that were likely to come up, most of all her status as a transgender person of high importance.

Her preparation was interrupted when she was asked by Secretary Tomlin to visit.

Effie, of course, immediately flew to Virginia, to the home of the legendary General Tomlin.

In the history of the Marines, Tomlin was known for being a brave and honorable warrior, and was famous for believing in the marine credo of not leaving anyone behind.

He once put his life in danger to rescue a platoon of marines stuck in a landing hovercraft, or LCAC, beached on a deserted island-atoll about to be bombed out of existence.

He was an inch from being court-martialled, but by the intervention of the armed forces' Chief of Staff, however, that didn't push through, and was awarded, instead, the Medal of Honor by the president.

A couple of years after that, however, Tomlin was, in a word, benched, due to a career's worth of war wounds and other injuries (in fact, his present cancer was suspected to be caused by exposure to chemicals used in the battlefield).

He therefore asked to be transferred to the US Marine Corps Training and Education Command, or TECOM, eventually becoming TECOM's commanding officer.

He had been in that position for years, and during that time, his legend in the Marine Corps and in the US Army had just grown, and has been credited for churning out the best crop of Marines in the history of the corps, refering to them as "Tomlin's Kids," one of his kids being Effie, or rather, Marty at the time.

Arriving at the general's home, Effie was greeted by Rose, the general's wife.

"Good morning, ma'am," Effie said, and held out her hand for a handshake, but the older woman ignored it and gave her a hug.

Effie was surprised, to say the least, but didn't spurn the hug.

"Thank you for coming," Rose said, "he's been hanging on for you." She let Effie go, and led her into the house.

"Hanging on, ma'am?" Effie asked.

"I'm afraid that the reported state of my husband's condition isn't completely correct. He only has weeks to live. Maybe not even that. And it's only through painkillers that he can even..."

Effie reached out for her hand.

"Well..." Rose said, grateful for Effie's sympathy, and cleared her throat. "Let's get you to the General, and maybe we can talk after."

Effie nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

- - - - -

Effie walked into the General's room while Rose remained outside - she said the general would prefer to talk to her alone.

The room was only half-illuminated but there was enough light to see things: She saw the general in his bed. Apparently, he was awakened by her arrival.

"Who's there?" an old man's voice said.

"Major Xander, sir. Fifteenth Marine Expeditionary Forces, Air Combat Wing. I was part of the tenth graduating batch during your tenure as Commander, TECOM."

"I hardly need you to tell me, Major," he laughed weakly. " Do you still go by Marty?"

"My friends call me Effie now, sir. It's from my new name. My new name is Freja. Freja Martina Xander. It's...

"I always found it interesting that when you had a chance to pick a new name, you just picked the closest female version."

Effie shrugged. "My name was given to me by my parents, sir. So I had no right to change..."

Yes. I read about that. I read 'Xander, Road to Salvation,' and 'Freja: The New Face of the Nation.'"

Effie laughed. "I suggest you skip that first one. The author is an... obsessed fan. Fifty percent of that book is based on wishful thinking on his part, and his... sexual fantasies involving me."

"That's fine. I only believed fifty percent of it, anyway."

Effie remained in the shadows.

"Oh, for god's sake, Marine. Come closer!"

"Sir!" A little shyly, she stepped up to Tomlin's bedside.

Tomlin reached out and held on to her hand. The general's skin felt dry but, oddly, very soft. An effect, she knew, of the steroids that were part of his medication. She returned the grip.

"It's good to see you, Marine."

"It's good to see you, sir. I'm surprised you've taken such an interest in me."

"I've been watching over you and your career for a while, as I've done with many of my kids."

"I'm... pleased to hear that I warranted such attention."

Tomlin chuckled. "Well, of all my kids, I was the most proud of you."

"I'm honored, sir."

"About the transgender thing..."

Effie closed her eyes. Even the man that she looked up to... Did she come just to be shamed by her hero? Tears she couldn't stop leaked from under her lashes.

"I am so sorry, Freja," Tomlin said, deliberately using her new name - a sign of acceptance - "that you had to go through what you did. I didn't know, and when I found out, you had resigned your commission. I know you didn't ask for this. Your struggles... I can't even imagine. But you did well, and gave credit to yourself, to the corps, and to all LGBTQ citizens. I'm proud to know you, and am proud to have played a part in the accomplished young woman that you are now. I only wish there were more Marines like you."

Effie listened to his words, with a kind of shock. She continued to cry, but not in sorrow anymore.

"Now stop crying," Tomlin said, smiling. "It's okay for pretty girls to cry, but you're a Marine, girl. Shape up!"

Effie laughed. "Yes, sir!"

- - - - -

"I asked you here, Effie," Tomlin said as they had lunch by his bedside, "because I wanted to say that I agreed with what the President did."

Rose was overjoyed that her husband had asked if he could have lunch today. She had her house's staff set up a table by his bedside so he needn't leave his bed.

She, Effie and her husband had a pleasant lunch, and she didn't care that he wanted to talk business with the tall, pretty redhead that had come to visit them. (She couldn't believe that the young woman used to be a man.)

But now, she turned to her husband. She only half listened to the conversation, and only gloried in his animated and excited aura, talking and smiling and laughing as he used to. And enjoying her deep-fried country chicken, home made gravy, green beans and his favorite iced tea. Who cares what they're talking about, she thought. All that she cared about was that she had her beloved husband back, even for just a day.

"What do you mean, General," Effie asked.

"Your... condition... makes it difficult, politically," General Tomlin answered. "And though we may protest how unfair it may all seem, the country has yet to catch up to its ideals, and I am too old... too old, too sick, and too near to dying to wait for that, and you can't afford to lose this opportunity to be our VP."

"Sir, I..."

"These lowbrows in the Senate, kid - you have to find a way to accomplish this despite their prejudice and their shortsightedness."

"Well, sir, not all of them are like that."

"Oh, don't get me wrong. I know we've made some progress in the forty or so years since the Millenium, but we're still far from where we want to be."

"Yes, sir."

"So, for now, you do what is necessary. Prepare."

"I am, sir. In fact, I was just doing that when I got your call..."

Tomlin laughed heartily and long.

"And here I am, a senile old man taking you away from your important work." He laughed again. "Is that it, Major?"

Effie shrugged, smiling sheepishly, her palms facing upward.

"Do you know that old nineteenth century proverb, Major - 'there is more than one way to skin a cat?'"

"Yes, sir, but, if I may? Ewww!"

Tomlin laughed. "I know it's not too used anymore, but the proverb applies to this situation."

"What situation is that, sir?"

"Of finding an appropriate successor - of finding a new Secretary for Veterans Affairs."

Effie paused. "Sir," she said hesitantly, "if you're worried about your legacy..."

"Legacy be damned!" he said. "It's about the veterans. It's about the armed forces, Effie. The priorites of the nation has changed, and I do not begrudge that. But the armed forces, and our veterans are losing their advocates. They are not being properly represented in society anymore."

"Sir, the constitution..."

Tomlin waved her argument away, seemingly anticipating her objection.

"Oh, I know about the pre-eminence of civilian authority over the military! I agree with that. It's necessary. The military is here to protect the civilians. But it's not that! It's more basic than that!

"We are here to protect the people. That is our reason for living. And it is a dangerous thing if the military oversteps this concept. Dictatorships can start, civil war... So we have things like honor, courage, code, rules and regulations to keep that from happening.

"But by the same token, when, and after we have done our duty, we must just not be thrown away. It's unfortunate that civilians don't have their own code...

"If a veteran finds trouble getting medical attention, or a soldier finds it difficult to re-integrate into society after a long deployment, or difficulty in finding a job after being furloughed, or is trying to manage PTSD - there is no one to be their advocate. There is no one to represent them. There is no one to fight for them!"

He looked her in the eye. "Legacy be damned, Effie. It's about looking for someone to help them - to help us!

"It falls to you, Effie. I'm sorry, but there's no other. I thought I'd be the one, but as you see..." he gestured to himself.

"What can I do?"

"We went about it wrong," he said. "We don't need a cabinet member to effect change. We just need to have someone to articulate things - to show the people. To explain! I believe in my heart, Effie, that the people will do the right thing, but they have to shown. As VP, you can be that. So I asked you here to be that. Please..."

"I'm a marine, sir. I have been called to service. A marine answers the call. It is my honor."

Tomlin reached for her hand.

"Ain't she a peach, Rosie," he said.

"That she is, and more," Rose replied.

"Do you know Secretary Helena Russell, Effie? She and I have cooked up something which we are going to be calling the National Council for Veterans Welfare - policy-making body that will be in charge of crafting the government's policy when it comes to Veterans' welfare, and will be an adjunct to the VA. Together, the VA and the VW will be able to create meaningful laws for the benefit of veterans, and I want you to chair this new council."

"Sir, I doubt if I..."

He waved her objections away. "I have put the wheels in motion, and my friends in the cabinet and, in the government and the military will make it happen, and they will pave the way for you."

"Sir..."

"Hush, Effie. It's all set already."

- - - - -

After a few hours, they adjourned. Their little tete-a-tete had tired Tomlin out, and his doctor gave him a sedative.

And after he was sleeping, Rose and Effie went downstairs and sat in Rose's cozy sitting room, and they exchanged stories about the general. Though much of Effie's stories were mostly about military training, Rose's was different - it was rich in history, and in love.

Effie's stories were paltry when compared to Rose's stories. Rose talked about her life with the General, when they was just starting out and struggling, and Rose learned to cope with the age-old burden of all military families. But she, trying to be a credit to her husband, bore it and waited for the times when he would return home to her.

She told stories of the general the way the general told them to her, warning Effie that his part in them was undoubtedly exaggerated.

But Effie didn't care, and listened avidly to Rose's stories.

Eventually, the sun set, and though she had more to tell, Rose said it's probably time for Effie to go home, and, reluctantly, Effie agreed, and Rose got their driver to bring their car to the front.

"You have lots of things to do," Rose agreed.

"I'd like to stay..."

"But duty calls," Rose said, completing her sentence for her, and chuckled. "So like a Marine." They both got up from the couch and started walking to the front door.

Effie shrugged. "I am what I am."

"Yes, you are. Effie - whatever happens, just do that you think is right. The country needs someone like you - someone that truly wants what's best for the people, not some glad-handing opportunist. Fight for that. Fight for all of us."

"I'm just just one person, Mrs. Tomlin-"

"Call me Rose, please."

Effie nodded. "- but, having said that, Rose, I will do my best. You have my word."

"I know. And a Marine's word is her bond." Rose reached up and pulled Effie's head down to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Rose. Tell the General goodbye for me."

Rose nodded. "Oh, before you leave. I got this from the General's desk." She went to a side table and got a thick binder.

"He said that I should give this to you. I think this will interest you," she said, and handed Effie the binder.

Effie accepted the binder and walked to the car.

The chauffeur saluted.

"Your bag is already in the car, Major."

Effie saw the ribbon bar on his jacket. She answered him with with a crisp salute of her own.

"Thank you, Marine."

"Not at all, ma'am. The General and the missus gave us all instructions to take of you."

Effie smiled at that.

"Thank you."

It was a short drive to the airport where a plane was waiting for her. It was a special chartered private plane, and on the door was the logo of one of the larger conglomerates.

Her driver walked her to the plane, and the ramp was lowered by the uniformed pilot of the plane.

"Here you go, ma'am," her driver handed her bag to her.

"Thank you."

"Major," the driver said as she climbed up the ramp.

"Yes?"

"Give 'em hell, ma'am." He said, smiling. "Oorah!"

Effie grinned. "That, I will, brother. That, I will."

to be continued...

 

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Oorah!"

"Give 'em hell, ma'am." Thanks for this start of a great story.

Thanks for putting that out there

While I'm enjoying your story, Bobbie, I applaud your spotlighting the lack of support that many veterans have received. There are budget cuts at a time when many Vietnam veterans are just entering the part of their lives where they need support. Many were drafted, so they had no choice but to do their duty. And when I separated from service, the mood of the country was such that you kept quiet about your service. I'm constantly surprised now to be thanked for my service when I have my vets cap on. So any support for the vets is appreciated. Thanks!

Suzij

The coming tornado?

Jamie Lee's picture

It's possible those on the committee have it in their minds they will tear Effie apart. If that's the case, they're in for a real surprise as to who rips who.

They are going to find out why Effie is a popular AG, and may wish they'd brought salve with them for their butts when Effie is finished with them.

Wonder what the General had Rose give Effie? The working plans discussed for VW?

Others have feelings too.