CMC 13: Winning Awards

Printer-friendly version
kids-group-trans.gif
Cindy at Music Camp

By Teek
© 2019

Chapter 13
Winning Awards

Summary:The first trophy of Music camp is given out, and then we see two more presented. Trophies are good, but sometimes, a less tangible award has more meaning.

~o~O~o~
Friday

Cindy was glad that the bed was dry in the morning, but disappointed that the Goodnite was not. After cleaning herself up with a baby wipe, she looked at the panties and Goodnites in the drawer. She considered putting on a Goodnite but chose panties instead.

“No Molly, wearing a Goodnite during the day will not make me a baby, but I am a big girl. I made it through the day yesterday without an accident. I will try to do it again today. If I can stay dry in the day the rest of camp, maybe Mommy will not make me wear them during the day when I get home. Yeah, I know Panda Bear, no matter what she will put me in “Baby Pull-Up Training Pants” during the day, and diapers at night. Don’t worry. I will not make either of you wear diapers or training pants.”

Cindy put a dress on and finished getting ready for the day. Before heading out of the room, she gave her Panda Bear a big hug.

“Cindy,” Barbara said as Cindy entered the living room. “The top five Best Performers will be here during the time you have been watching shows on Disney Junior. If you are not in the top five, you can not be here at that time in the afternoon.”

“Okay,” Cindy said as she headed straight for the front door without stopping or looking at anyone. “Ready to go Mr. Elks?”

As they walked out the front door, Mr. Elks looked down at Cindy holding the Molly doll in one hand and the backpack over her shoulder. “Are you okay Cindy?”

“Yeah, No, I don’t know.”

“What’s the matter?”

“I . . . I’m scared.”

Mr. Elks stopped and knelt down to Cindy’s level. He took her two hands and looked her right in the eyes. “What are you scared of Cindy?”

“Saturday.”

“Are you worried about the concert?”

“No, that would be silly. When I play, I can block out everything and just enjoy playing. Audiences don’t worry me when I play my flute, especially when I am Cindy. The woodwind group has it’s piece down perfectly, and Jessica’s small orchestra piece is really fun to perform.”

“Sounds like the concert will be the easy part of the day for you, so what has you worried about Saturday?”

Cindy looked down at her Frozen sneakers. In a voice barely above a whisper she says, “Mommy.”

“Oh,” Mr. Elks smiled at Cindy. “You don’t think she is going to be happy that you have been Cindy at camp?”

“Not happy? She will be mad. Then the bed and pant wetting, she will be furious. After what she did last time, I am scared of what she will do when she finds out about camp.”

“Those are some really scary things to be worried about,” Mr. Elks said squeezing Cindy’s hands. “As I told you on Monday, you can be Cindy at the concert, but if you want to be Frank, I will understand. Your friends will understand too.”

“I don’t want to be Frank. I never want to be Frank. No matter what I do, I will be in trouble, so I might as well be Cindy for as long as possible.”

“That makes a lot of sense.”

“It doesn’t matter anyways. Mommy will see me before the concert, and she will not let me play in the concert. I just haven’t figured out how to tell Jessica and the others in the group that. My Mom will wreck everything. Jessica was really excited about getting her piece picked for the last performance of the concert. The others in the group also view it as a great honor to play in that position. I will wreck everything, causing them not to be able to do dat.”

“Cindy, they all know that your Mom is not going to be happy about seeing you as Cindy. Remember that we all worked together to make sure Marcus understood this before he joined Jessica’s orchestra. They all helped convince Marcus that your Mom might stop the performance and pull you off the stage. They know it can happen, and they will not be mad at you if it does. I will do whatever I can to make sure you get to perform Saturday. I want your little orchestra to perform their song just as much as you do. I have never had such a talented group of performers up on stage working together. Now, the first thing I can do is to make sure your parents don’t see you before the concert. Parents are told to come for the concert and then they can take the kids home. A lot of parents never see their kids before the concert, and this year I will make sure your parents don’t see you.”

“Really? They won’t see me until I am on stage?”

“Yup,” Mr. Elks said smiling at Cindy. “Does that make you feel a little better?”

“A little.”

“That is great,” Mr. Elks said standing back up. “I hear they have pancakes for breakfast with warm maple syrup. Will that help a little too?”

With a smile Cindy replied, “Yeah, a little.”

The two of them walked to the cafeteria, talking about Open Mic last night.

~o~O~o~

“Quiet everyone,” Mr. Elks said trying to quiet the cafeteria down for announcements. “We have our top ten in the Best Performer Competition. The Judges will hear them play individually this morning, and at lunch we will post the top five. Those individuals will have dinner tonight at my house with the judges and my wife’s amazing cooking. The Top Performer will be announced at the end of the concert tomorrow. They get a trophy to go home with, their name on this decade’s Performer’s Cup, free tuition for camp next year, and a special gift.”

The room erupted into chatter as most looked over at the Performer’s Cup at the entrance to the Cafeteria.

Once everyone was quieted down again, “I have posted the order of tomorrow’s concert. Some of you have already noticed that the location of the Orchestra and Singing performance of, Let It Go, is listed as TBA. For those that do not know, TBA stands for ‘To Be Announced.’ Until the singing is picked, we could not determine when to do the performance. Mr. Lamar has looked over the audition list for the singing of the song and will pull people this morning to audition. Any questions about the singing or rehearsals once the singer is picked, should be directed to Mr. Lamar.”

Mr. Elks stood and smiled at everyone as he waited for everyone to calm down again, “The winner of the coveted Final Performance Position goes to Jessica. She has created an original piece of music and put together a group to perform it. Let’s give her a round of applause for winning the competition.”

The room erupted into clapping and whistling. Jessica’s face was a bright red.

When the room was quiet again, Mr. Elks continued, “Jessica please come up here. We are going to be doing something different this year. In the past, the few trophies awarded were given between performances at the concert. To allow for more groups to perform, we are changing things this year. Jessica is only the first to receive a trophy today. Others will be awarded to individuals in the various specialty classes. It is not easy to get a trophy at camp, and you need to congratulate everyone who does earn one. Only the best has an opportunity to attend this camp, so only the best of the best get trophies. If you have earned one in the past, it is even harder to get one again. As I have stated before, age is not important at this camp, it is all on skill. From our youngest camper Elizabeth, to our oldest Jacob, you are all amazing artists. You come here to improve your music skills. Not to earn trophies. Everyone here can now play better than when they arrived. Congratulations. That means you worked hard to improve your skills. Jessica, with this trophy, I award you for amazing growth as a composition writer. And with that, I say, Let’s Eat!”

As someone from each table went in to get the food, the conversation level in the room flared up. Jessica returned to the table holding a trophy with a music note on top.

Everyone was admiring Jessica’s trophy when Marcus caught the attention of the table, “I earned that trophy my first year hear. I have tried to earn it every year since but have failed. I think it is one of the hardest trophies to earn at camp. Congratulations Jessica. Good Job.”

“Thanks Marcus,” Jessica said blushing. “That means a lot coming from you.”

As Eleanor returned with the food, Mr. Elks approached the table. “Since most of the people in the top ten Best Performer Competition are sitting at this table, here is the order that the judges will be calling people to do their solo performances. We will be in the Concert Hall. George, you are first, so right after breakfast report to the Concert Hall.”

Erin stopped Mr. Elks as he was starting to walk away, “Sir, why are there only nine names on this list? Aren’t all of the top ten getting to perform solo performances for the judges?”

“The tenth person has already performed for the judges,” and with that Mr. Elks turned and walked away.

Erin turned to the table with a questioning look. She examined the list again, “Cindy! Cindy, your name is not on the list. Did you make it into the top 10?”

“Yeah.”

“When did you do a solo performance for the judges?”

Eleanor responded, “Oh she did one alright. It was amazing. You should have heard her play the piece. It was a long one too, at least ten minutes long. The judges came in just as she started playing the composition. The room was silent the whole time, and then she got a standing ovation. Just amazing for such a little girl to do. Us older kids in the woodwind class didn’t really believe someone so young could be as good as Marcus and Mr. Elks had said Cindy was, but no one questioned it after her performance. Then, the most amazing thing happened. Mr. Frances, you know the silent judge, actually went up and complimented Cindy. He never says anything during judging. The only time I have ever heard him talk is at the top five dinner Mr. Elks gives. From what some of the instructors say, he rarely talks to them and they are in the Tri-City Orchestra he conducts. Not only did he talk to Cindy, but he said that she played the piece better than anyone he had ever heard play the piece. Cindy is an amazing flute player. I knew my chances of winning the Best Performer competition were gone as soon as I heard Cindy play. But to be honest, if she can play that good, she deserves to win.”

“Mr. Frances complimented Cindy?” Erin gasped. “Oh boy! You must really be good Cindy.”

“She is good, and Samantha is also outstanding,” Marcus added. “For the first time in the camp’s history, there could be two Littles in the top three and possibly in the top two. A little hasn’t won the Best Performer competition since I did years ago, but I bet either Cindy or Samantha win this year.”

“You guys are all crazy,” Cindy responded. “Some of you have been playing twice as long as I have. There is no way I can beat you teenagers.”

“Cindy!” Jessica, Marcus, George, and Samantha said together.

Jessica glared at Cindy, “We have talked about this Cindy. No cutting yourself down. You are a good flute player Cindy and accept the fact that you can be better than people older than you.”

“And Cindy, don’t worry about winning,” Samantha stated. “As I said before, I am going to win this year.”

“That would be funny,” George commented, “If it wasn’t coming from you Samantha.”

Samantha smiled before putting a syrup drenched piece of pancake into her mouth.

“Amazing,” Axel said to Marcus. “As rock stars we get all the screaming fans, yet we never manage to win the Best Performer Competition. Now you are telling me that two Littles, barely out of diapers, are going to blow away everyone at camp. They are what, six-year-olds?”

Marcus shrugged his shoulders, “Sorry Dude.”

Axel then turned to Samantha and Cindy, “I have worked very hard to be as good as I am on the electric guitar. You two, however, have real talent. A gift that you were born with. Amazing. We have been protecting the two of you for the last week, but I never knew how talented you really were. Yeah, Marcus told me, but it just seemed so unbelievable. I thought I was just making sure two cute little girls didn’t get hurt. Now I know. I know that I was a body guard for a famous musician. Thanks for giving me that honor.”

“We’re not famous,” Samantha declared.

“No little Princess, you’re not famous yet, but you will be known all over the world someday. You may even go down in history like Beethoven or Elvis,” Axel stated. “And to think, I knew you when you put Sophia the First stickers on your violin.”

“Well, she is a Disney Princess,” Samantha stated.

“Yes, a Princess just like you,” Axel said smiling at Samantha.

Samantha blushed.

~o~O~o~

At camp, few knew about Frank’s life, but that is all that Cindy could think of as she headed off to the Woodwind Class. She would soon be home and have to be Frank again. Probably never getting to be Cindy again ever in her life. She enjoyed this week as Cindy. She was just one of the girls. She could not recall any time in Franks life that he had as much fun as she was having with Samantha and Jessica. Even playing with his best friend at home, he was always a boy in a girl’s world. Here she was just a girl out in the world. The flute playing was even more fun. She didn’t understand it, but she really did play better as Cindy. Would she be able to go back to being Frank? Could she ever enjoy playing the flute as Frank after experiencing the exhilaration of flute playing as Cindy? With only one day left as Cindy, one day left to exist, she took a deep breath and walked into class.

Cindy walked over to her chair and started to unpack her flute. With the Molly doll on her lap, she prepared for class.

“Class,” Mrs. Johnson said with a raised voice. “Can I please have everyone’s attention.”

The room quieted down as everyone looked up at Mrs. Johnson.

“I give two awards every year,” Mrs. Johnson continued. “One for the best Woodwind player and one for the most improved.”

“That is not fair,” Timmy said. “Cindy earns both of those.”

“Well, she deserves them both,” Wes said.

“Think about it Timmy,” Sally added. “Cindy played that flute solo better than adults could. Mr. Frances said so after hearing her. I bet none of us could have impressed Mr. Frances the way she did. Eleanor may be in the top ten with her, but we all know that Cindy is even better than Eleanor. Sorry to say that Eleanor, you are very good, but Cindy is better.”

“Don’t worry about it Sally,” Eleanor responded. “I agree with you. Cindy is special. We all know she is the best Woodwind player here.”

Cindy grabbed the Molly doll and held tight.

JoAnne was the next to add her view, “There is no question that Cindy is the best here, and there really is no question that she is also the most improved. Frank was good last week, but never played like Cindy does. He was technically perfect, but no emotions. He was no where near the best Woodwind player in the room. Now, however, Cindy is. That means, she is the best and the most improved.”

There was agreement throughout the room.

“Well,” Mrs. Johnson interjected. “Cindy it appears that the class feels that you deserve both awards.”

“Uh,” Cindy looked around at the other students. “I can’t get both awards. One or the other, but not both. Timmy is right, it isn’t fair.”

“That is very mature of you Cindy,” Mrs. Johnson stated. “I have never given one student both awards, and I really had not planned on starting this year.”

“Good,” Cindy responded.

“I will agree with the kids though,” Mrs. Johnson continued. “You do deserve both awards. I struggled with which one to give you and which to give someone else. I decided to give you the Best Woodwind Player trophy. Please come up here and get it.”

Cindy, with Molly in her hands, went up to get the trophy. It had a Flute on top. The kids all clapped as she got it.

“For the Most Improved,” Mrs. Johnson said. “I had a lot to choose from. You all have improved. Frank is not the same person as Cindy, so I couldn’t give Cindy the Most Improved. This year I decided to give it to our youngest player.”

“So, Cindy gets it,” John said.

“No,” Cindy declared. “I am definitely not the youngest here. Believe it or not, I am nine years old.”

“Nine?” several of the kids asked at once.

“Yes, nine years old. I am just small for my age,” Cindy said with a smile.

“Potty, Potty, Potty,” Suzy said as she jumped up and ran for the bathroom.

“She is the youngest here,” Cindy announced as Suzy ran out the door. “She is six, going into 1st grade when school begins.”

“That is quite correct Cindy,” Mrs. Johnson said. “She is also the one that has earned the most improved. She could play when she arrived at camp, but she didn’t know how to play her instrument with others. Now she is part of the group, and no one would know that last week was the first time she played as part of a group. That makes her the most improved.”

When Suzy came back into the room everyone started clapping.

“It’s not that big of a deal that I made it to the potty in time,” Suzy said. “I almost always do.”

“No Suzy,” Cindy said through her giggles. “You are the winner of the Most Improved Award.”

“Oh, that makes more sense. Wow, I won a trophy?”

Suzy went up to Mrs. Johnson and got her trophy. Like mine, it had her instrument on top, a bassoon.

After practicing their piece for the concert, Mrs. Johnson had a special treat. She had a collection of various Woodwind Instruments that were actually made of wood. No one had ever seen a Saxophone made out of wood before. Among the other campers we did have a wide variety of unique instruments. Suzy played a Mini-Bassoon. Before seeing her Bassoon, most of the kids in the class had never seen a mini-bassoon. Wes had a purple Clarinet and Eleanor’s Oboe was pink. Timmy’s Piccolo was florescent orange. Sally played something called a Cor Anglais, which somehow was see-through. Mrs. Johnson also brought a stone flute, a ney, a double bassoon, a pan flute, a Native American Drone Flute, and bag pipes. There was even a saxophone played by a former United States President named Bill Clinton.

No one was paying that much attention to the adults who were sporadically entering the room. That is, no one until Cindy loudly blurted out, “Oh my God, it is Candie Cramer!”

The room fell silent as everyone looked over towards the collection of adults.

“What?” Eleanor declared. “That’s Matthew Dine, principal oboist at the American Ballet Theater orchestra.”

“Jess Gillam!” Abigail shrieked.

“No way!” proclaimed Jacob. “That’s Milan Turkovic.”

“Isn’t that Richard Stoltzman from Sesame Street,” asked Suzy?

“Richard Stoltzman! He isn’t on Sesame Street,” Wes corrected. “He is a world famous clarinet player, and yes, that is him.”

“Actually,” Mr. Stoltzman interjected. “I have played on Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. That was a long time ago though, I am surprised someone so young knows about it. Did you guys know, Mr. Rogers played the clarinet?

“See, I told you so,” Suzy rebutted.

“World famous clarinet player and the first kid to recognize me, knows me from Sesame Street. I wonder what that says about my career,” Mr. Stoltzman stated.

“Probably that the rest of us should get on Sesame Street,” Miss Gillam replied.

“That’s Gareth Davies,” Larry Stated. “I’ve watched some of his Master Classes on YouTube.”

“And that’s Martin Frost,” Oscar said in aww. “The Martin Frost.”

“Well,” Mrs. Johnson said in a fashion to quiet the room down and get everyone’s attention. “It is nice to know that my students know their celebrities. I see the group of you are good at searching YouTube, and apparently watching Sesame Street. This year, I wanted to give you all a special treat. Celebrity woodwind players all in one place doesn’t happen very often. They all have offered to be on a panel to answer any questions you have. As a special reward, our two trophy winners, can ask one of our guests to play a song for us.”

“All of these individuals are known throughout the world as experts with their instruments. Our youngest guest is only in her early 20’s, Jess Gillam. She is from the United Kingdom and known for her classical Saxophone playing.” Link to Jess Gillam's web page

“Candie Cramer is a flutist from Baltimore, Maryland. Like Cindy, she is transgender.”

“Which one is Cindy,” Miss Cramer asked?

Cindy raised her hand, and Miss Cramer smiled back.

“Next to her we have Gareth Davies, from England. He plays the flute and the piccolo, is Principal Flutist with the London Symphony Orchestra, and teaches woodwind classes around the world,” Mrs. Johnson gestures towards Mr. Davies. “Yes, he can also be found on YouTube, like most of our guests. Mr. Davies was also part of the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony.” Link to Gareth Davies web page

“Then we have Matthew Dine, Principal Oboist at the American Ballet Theater orchestra, Co-Principal Oboist of the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. After some nerve damage, he started a second career as a Freelance Culture Photographer for the New York Times. He takes impressive pictures of musicians. As an Oboist, he has played on Broadway, as well as various Symphony and Ballet Orchestras around the United States. Now, during performances, he will play the Oboe and take pictures. Yes, take pictures in-between his times playing the Oboe during a concert. On a strange note, he decided to play the oboe after seeing a picture of it in the dictionary at age 15, before this he had never heard an oboe played.” Link to Matt Dine's web page

“Richard Stoltzman is a Clarinet player and Cordon Blue trained pastry chef. He was born in Nebraska, but grew up in San Francisco, California and Cincinnati, Ohio. He currently lives in Massachusetts. He is a two-time Grammy Award winner and known for playing across many different genres. He plays classical, jazz, and contemporary music. I especially like his Jazz playing. I didn’t know this, but Suzy apparently did, he has been a world-famous actor on Sesame Street.”

The room burst into laughter.

“No, I am serious,” Mrs. Johnson said. “Sesame Street is seen around the world. They invite professionals on the show all the time and have since they started in 1969. All types of professional musicians have been on the show. It is a great way to expose the younger generation to music and different instruments. They not only hear the music, but they get to see the instruments. Never look down on someone for appearing on Sesame Street. In fact, I would view it as a great honor. You have to be pretty good to be asked to appear on the show.”

Both Suzy and Mr. Stoltzman smiled at Mrs. Johnson. Link to Richard Stoltzman's web page

“We have Milan Turkovic,” Mrs. Johnson continued. “Migrated from Croatia, in the former Yugoslavia to Austria. He currently resides in Vienna, Austria. He is a world renown Bassoon Soloist and Conductor in Orchestras around the world. He was one of the first, if not the first, to take the bassoon from just a Symphony Orchestra instrument, to one that a musician could also be a soloist on.” Link to Milan Turkovic's web page

“Last, but not least, we have word renowned Swedish Clarinetist and Conductor Martin Frost,” Mrs. Johnson introduced the final adult standing on the side of the room. “He is known for his worldwide collaborations. In 2014, he received the Léonie Sonning Music Prize, one of the world’s highest musical honors. He was the first clarinetist to get the award. He also has a long-term association with Buffet Crampon. For those of you who do not know the company Buffet Crampon, they make high end woodwind instruments. He has been playing the clarinet since age eight. He started on the violin at age five. Link to Martin Frost's web site

“Now I turn to our two award winners. Who would you like to hear play? Cindy I will give you the first choice,” Mrs. Johnson smiled in anticipation of her answer.

Holding onto the Molly doll tightly, Cindy smiles and examines the Woodwind celebrities in the room. “I would love some of Mr. Stoltzman’s pastries and hear Mr. Davies on the Flute. I don’t know however how I can turn down a chance to hear Candie Cramer play in person. After hearing her play that Star Wars song for Oprah on YouTube, I have wanted to meet her.”

“Oh sweetie,” Miss Cramer responded. “Since I heard about you earlier this week, I have wanted to meet you. Mrs. Johnson has promised me some time with just the two of us. Let’s hear Mr. Davies play, and I will play a personal song for you later.”

“For such a cute little girl, I am sorry I don’t have some pastries to share,” Mr. Stoltzman said.

“Now, I haven’t heard this Star Wars performance,” Mr. Davies said. “What did you play?”

“I did the Carina band from first Star Wars in the 1970’s.”

“Now that I have to hear,” Mr. Davies said. “The first orchestra I heard was in that movie when I was about eight years old, and I actually got to perform for some of the more recent Star Wars movies. Sorry Mrs. Johnson, I think two of us will have to play for this little darling. First, let’s hear Miss Cramer play this Star Wars song.”

Candie Cramer played the piece, followed by a standing ovation from the students. Link to Miss Cramer playing Star Wars Carina band song

Mr. Davies then turned to Cindy, “So little darling, what instrument do you play?”

“I play the flute sir,” Cindy responded.

“She just won the Best Woodwind Performer at camp this summer,” Eleanor said. “And she has a excellent chance of winning the Best Performer competition for the whole camp this summer. She is really good at the flute.”

“My, oh, my,” Mr. Davies got down on his knees in front of Cindy.

Mrs. Johnson added, “Yesterday she played the best performance of Friedrich Kuhlau’s Fantasy for Flute Solo that I have ever heard, and that our Tri-City Orchestra conductor Mr. Frances had ever heard. To top it all off, she did it all from memory with no sheet music. She really is quite a gifted flutist.”

“I would love to hear that, but first, let’s do something a little more fun. There are a few Disney songs that are good for a Flute Duet. Hmmmmm,” Mr. Davies looked at Cindy from head with Frozen hair clip, to toe, or better put, Frozen sneakers. “I see you like Frozen. How would you like to do a Let It Go duet with me?”

“Sure,” Cindy said with a big smile. “You mean I get to play a song with you?”

“Yes Cindy,” Mr. Davies chuckled. “I would be honored to play a song with you.”

Mr. Davies went over to his bag. He pulled out a tablet, where he tapped on a few things and then handed it to Cindy where she saw the sheet music for Let It Go for Duo. While she looked it over, Mr. Davies put together his flute and started to warm up. Cindy went and got her flute. She put the Molly doll sitting down on her chair and joined Mr. Davies up front to play for the class.

The two of them played, Let It Go, together. Link to Let It Go flute duet

“You play very nicely Cindy,” Mr. Davies said. “I would love to hear you play Friedrich Kuhlau’s Fantasy for Flute Solo, but while we were playing, I noticed that you play an Eastar Beginner’s Flute. It is a rather cheap flute and one that children often learn on. How would you like to play the piece with my flute?”

“What?” Cindy looked at Mr. Davies in shock.

“Why don’t we go out in the hall and give you some time to get used to the flute before you play. The other award winner can have her choice to hear someone play.”

“My turn,” Suzy announced. “I play the Bassoon so I want to hear Mr. Turvic.”

Mr. Turkovic laughed, “That would be Turk-o-vic. I would love to play for you. Did I hear correctly that you earned the most improved award this summer.”

“Yeah! See,” Suzy said holding up the trophy.

At this point, Cindy and Mr. Davies left the room and entered the hallway.

“Cindy,” Mr. Davies started. “You have been playing on a flute that costs less than a hundred dollars.”

“I’ve asked for a better one from Santa, but I didn’t get it.”

“That is okay. His elves don’t always make the best flutes anyways. Sometimes we need to go to professional flute makers.”

“I hear the professional flutes are made of gold or silver.”

“That is right. I don’t like the all gold flutes, but some people do. The all silver flutes in my opinion are not always the best when playing in an orchestra. Currently I use one that is a combination of Gold and Silver. It has ‘Stealth Gold’ inside the tube, but is Silver on the outside. It also has a gold lip. It is something that works for me. In time, you will find what works for you. Now, this is going to be a bit heavier than the flute you have been playing.”

Cindy holds out her hands palms up and Mr. Davies puts it in her hands. She examines the flute and gets a feel for the added weight. She fingers a few of the keys, trying to get used to it. Her flute has closed holes, but this one didn’t. Slowly she brings it up to her mouth and plays a few notes.

“Have you ever played on an Open Hole flute before Cindy?”

“A few times,” Cindy said trying to reposition her fingers on the holes. “My music teacher back home says they will become easier as I grow up and get bigger hands.”

“That is why most student flutes are Closed Hole. For such a little girl, you have pretty good fingering. Here, bend your wrist a little this way,” Mr. Davies says guiding Cindy’s wrist. “It will make it easier to reach that key.”

Cindy practiced a little with her wrist in the new position. Then she closed her eyes and played a lullaby she enjoyed.

“That was lovely Cindy,” Mr. Davies admired. “You have that fingering almost perfect. I agree with your teacher, once your hands grow a little, it will be a lot easier to get the fingering just right. If you ever do get a professional flute, they come with a cork on the six open hole keys. You can leave in the cork on the ones you struggle with due to your smaller hands.”

“Oh no Mr. Davies,” Cindy declared. “I would not do that. With effort I can properly cover up all the keys, so I would want to play that way.”

“For a seven-year-old, you certainly have a determined view on this.”

“Actually, I’m nine,” Cindy proudly stated. “I am just small for my age.”

“I am corrected,” Mr. Davies bowed his head. “Sorry for the mistake.”

Just then Mrs. Johnson stuck her head out the door, “We’re ready for you whenever you’re ready.”

Cindy headed for the door, followed by Mr. Davies.

“Okay class,” Mrs. Johnson said. “You have all heard Cindy play this on her flute, a flute that probably costs about one hundred dollars. This is a professional flute she will be playing on now that probably costs over $25,000.”

Cindy looked up at Mr. Davies who was nodding to confirm that statement.

“This flute also has holes on six of the keys, requiring fingering to be perfect. Cindy is used to playing on a flute with closed holes. She is about to attempt a very difficult piece of music on an instrument she has never played on before. No one expects her to do it perfectly but let’s be quiet for her.”

Cindy stood in front of the group. She looked over to the Molly doll sitting on her chair, smiling at her. Cindy smiled back. She took some deep breaths and closed her eyes. Slowly, with her eyes still closed, she brought the flute up to her mouth and started to play. Other than a few squeaks due to her fingers not always being perfectly placed over those holes, it was beautifully played. The students noticed the richer and smoother music that came out on the professional flute over the student one she had played yesterday. When she finished, she was given a standing ovation.

“Impressive indeed,” Mr. Davies said.

“I agree,” the two conductors Martin Frost and Milan Turkovic said in unison. They then looked at each other with a knowing look.

“I know that look,” Mr. Davies said. “They each want you to play for them in a concert. They are figuring out how they can get you before the other one snatches you up. Conductors can be very possessive. When they want you this bad, make sure you get something good out of it, like maybe that professional flute that Santa didn’t bring you.”

Just then the door opened, and Marcus entered the room, “Mrs. Johnson, the judges want to see Eleanor.”

“Eleanor, go see the judges in the Concert Hall for your solo performance,” Mrs. Johnson stated. “And please tell Mrs. Dulles that Cindy will need a professional agent and ask her to come here when she is done judging the top ten competition.”

“And you two,” Mr. Davies said looking at the two conductors. “She will need time on that flute before she plays it for you in a concert, so she will need it before she actually performs for you.”

“Well,” Mrs. Johnson interrupted. “Let’s get this panel started. I am sure the students have lots of questions for you.”

The questions were varied from finding out about the different individuals experiences, to the different types of instruments each of them has played in addition to the one they are most famous for performing on. Mrs. Johnson expected the few questions about photography and pastry making, but she didn’t expect Timmy to ask what Mister Rogers was like, or for Suzy to ask who was more fun to be with; Tully or Oscar the Grouch.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mom!!!!

Teek's picture

This is the Mom that took Cindy wearing a little girl party dress to a barber who gave her a bowl cut, then to Wal-Mart boys department to buy boy clothes loudly so all around knew the little kid in the girl dress was really a boy. Bigotry over-rides emotions like pride. Do you really think she will be able to see past the dress to hear the music?

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Life is good.

WillowD's picture

Well, for me it is at the moment as I got to read a new CMC chapter. For Cindy it looks life is very good and possibly about to get very bad. Once Mommy sees Cindy life is going to get very interesting.

Thank you for the chapter.

Double Treat

Teek's picture

You got an extra treat without knowing it. Seconds before posting this chapter, I decided to combine two chapters into one. This was supposed to be chapters 13 and 14 posted a week apart from each other. I like to be a chapter head of the postings. I was half way through chapter 15. Just before hitting preview on the posting, I decided that chapter 13 was really short and didn't carry the story forward enough. I combined the two chapters to give you the new Chapter 13. Longer and moving the story forward a leap.

I have never done so much research for a chapter before. I know nothing about music, and don't listen to it due to an auditory processing difficulty making me unable to process the intended outcome correctly. I knew nothing about any of these guests to the class. Thank God for the Internet, I could find out all sorts of information about each of the individuals. All stated facts are true, from the description of Mr. Davies flute, to the appearances on Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Even the fact that Mr. Rogers played the clarinet. I still wonder at times what drove me to set a story at MUSIC Camp.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Music camp.

WillowD's picture

Thank you for making it a longer chapter.

I'm glad you did set it at a music camp. It's quite different from your basic cabins by a lake type camp.

And I try to do my best of not thinking of the red headed band geek from American Pie when I read band camp stories.

giggle

Teek's picture

you actually made me LOL. Thanks I needed that tonight.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Just out of curiosity

What are the properties of gold and silver that make them superior flute material?

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thank You

.

sterling silver vs. gold flutes

Almost 60 years ago I was with my older sister vising Haynes in Boston, where she was purchasing a sterling silver open-hole flute. They had in the shop a gold flute, which they allowed her to play. As I recall, it had a mellower, huskier sound, less brilliant than the silver flute. It was also significantly out of her price range!

Cindy is on her way, if...

Jamie Lee's picture

There is every chance for Cindy to have a career in music starting at age nine. However, that all depends on her mom understanding it's Cindy who'll have the career and not Frank.

And someone getting to her and making her realize that Cindy needs to be around if Frank is to be alive as they get older. She also risks losing her child forever when age allows her to leave home. Mom best wish up and let her child live the life she has to live.

The debate about the sound of a flute played by a beginner, intermediate, or pro seemed nicely civilized, for a change. In many instances experience has a great deal to how any instrument sounds. But with the different materials used for flutes, perhaps the differences are caused by the resonance abilities of each material. Or due to microscopic differences which allow air to flow smoother with one than another. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, which is more likely.

Others have feelings too.

no music background

Teek's picture

Believe it or not, I have no music background of any kind. I can not play any instrument unless you count the recorder I played in 4th grade music class. I have had to do a lot of research for this story.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Material effects on sound

RobertaME's picture

Being a minor musical prodigy myself (until Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis stole my ability to finger the Viola properly) and my SO being a flute player, I know a bit about the issue. It all comes down to material properties. Sterling silver flutes have a higher tensile strength, causing the vibrations along the body to reverberate strongly, giving them a more full tone as compared to cheaper materials or even gold (which is actually very soft) However, properly rolled gold can have an accuracy of smoothness down to the atomic level, and the more perfect the smoothness, the purer the tone. That's why hybrid flutes that have gold interiors (because you play the inside of an instrument, not the outside) and Sterling silver outsides are the best of both worlds... the strength of Sterling silver and the perfection of a gold surface.

Love the story!

I like your writing!!

Pamreed's picture

I am enjoying this story very much!! Your weaving into the story how to understand and support transgender people is excellent!

thanks

Teek's picture

Thanks. I like weaving stuff into stories.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek