Skater Grl

Printer-friendly version

Skater Grl

It started as a joke.

I’d always loved skating, and I soon was good enough that my coach partnered me with a girl named Kate and we began training as a pair, doing what’s called ice dancing.

Kate was also pretty good, and we clicked right away - at least on the ice.

Off the ice, Kare made it clear she thought of me as more of a brother than a potential romantic partner, and even though I was a bit disappointed, I was too happy with our progress as a team to kick too hard.

Then there came the night of the joke, the night that changed everything.

We’d been at a competition, and after the serious stuff was done, there was an opportunity for all the performers to just do some skating routines just to entertain the audience without having to worry about judges or scoring.

Kate and I were going to do a comedy routine we called “bride and groom”, where we’d play as a couple having a bunch of pratfalls on their wedding day.

And then Kate suggested we switch roles, just for the laugh.

So we did, but something went wrong almost as soon as I stepped on the ice to the wedding march music.

I fully expected the audience to laugh like crazy, but the place was silent.

And then Kate started to also act really weird.

Instead of the clumsy groom, she started doing a routine we’d used for a take on Romeo and Juliet, but from the male side.

And I fell into the routine, doing Juliet.

It was beautiful, and passionate and over far too quickly.

We stopped, and went to bow, and the place exploded with applause.

But I wasnt thinking about that. I went to the dressing room, and sat on a bench, trying to collect my thoughts.

Something had happened to me out there. At some point I stopped playing the role of a girl.

And found one inside of me.

And I didn’t want to give her up, to go back to being a boy.

So I did the hardest thing I could do, and told Kate, our coach, and finally, my folks.

And pretty soon I’d retired from skating to pursue a transition.

I knew early on that there would be no way for me to skate competitively. My home country of Canada might be pretty progressive, but the biggest power in skating is Russia, and to say they arent on board when it comes to LGBT people is putting it mildly.

I missed it, but I missed Kate more. Even though she supported me, and called me often, she still had dreams of making it to the podium as a skater, which meant she had to spend a lot of time training and competing.

But then Kurt Browning, one of the best skaters ever, came to me, and asked if I’d be interested in joining his touring group.

I was hesitant, because all I’d done was ice dance, not solo skating.

So I asked Kate what I should do, and she told me that I should go for it.

And that she’d be my partner again.

She told me she just couldnt find the chemistry with anybody else, and without it, she realized she’d never make it to the podium.

So she’d rather skate with me on tour, if I was willing to give it a shot.

To my surprise. People have been for the most part amazingly accepting of me, and even of Kate and I skating as a couple.

And even of us as a couple off the ice as well.

So maybe, if you get a chance, check out the tour, wont you?

End

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now coming to a skating arena near you!

lol ! Little Dottie in a wedding dress, hmm... yep, girly girl through and through! ;) loving hugs, Popcorn Lady

I'm afraid you haven't made

I'm afraid you haven't made me believe in the “brother" to girlfriend bit - I can see that a lesbian Kate might make that switch, but here it was just a bald statement, not an inevitable step in the flow of you story and it jarred a little.

But overall it is a nice little scene. Thanks

Very unique concept

Donna T's picture

A very nice take... as usual for you!

Regards,

Donna

thank you, Donna

you got me blushing!

DogSig.png

Nice short story

Daphne Xu's picture

Nice bittersweet story. Happy ending for the protagonist, bittersweet for Kate. Although for some reason, it seemed a bit sad for the protagonist as well.

For some reason, I thought the story would end in some kind of pun on "skate" and "Kate".

-- Daphne Xu

bittersweet?

I thought them becoming a couple was just sweet. hugs!

DogSig.png

The title made me sad

laika's picture

Because I remember another great author who wrote about Sk8ter Grrls
(but more the skateboard variety), who left a huge hole in the hearts
of a lot of folks here at BCTS when she died.

But then the story itself cheered me back up!
I would love to see that routine that Kate
+ your unnamed narrator performed...
~hugs, Veronica

Oops! Forgot to comment.

WillowD's picture

Comment!

(On a more serious note, this was a fun read. Thanks.)

thanks, Willow

huggles!

DogSig.png

A nice moment!

You pulled off in a nice moment in such a short piece! It was cute and fun and quick.

thanks,

Kaleigh

thanks, Kaleigh

"cute fun and quick" were my goals, so I'm glad I succeeded !

DogSig.png

Writing a short story isn't easy

and the shorter it is, the more difficult it is. You did it really well in this short short story. Very entertaining. I'm impressed.

thank you very much!

you've got me blushing!

DogSig.png

Love!

Lucy Perkins's picture

I just loved the story!

And I thought it a very happy ever after!!

Love Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

thanks, Lucy!

glad you loved it!

DogSig.png

A Grateful Dead lyric quote!

Donna T's picture

"Lately it occurs to me...
what a long strange trip its been."

Sooner or later we all have a Touch of Grey...

Donna

I don't comment much;

But if you think your muse has left you, you are clearly mistaken. Thank you for the spirit lift.

my muse is really wild

i'm glad she came back! thanks for commenting hon!

DogSig.png

transwomen in sports

AFAIK ice skating, being a (winter) olympic sport, comes under olympic rules; which allows for transwomen to compete (with some limits on endogenous testosterone). So she wouldn't have had to stop competing.

Otherwise though, I liked this, short and sweet.

figure skating rules

I just assumed the anti-LGBT attitude of the Russians (among others) would hamper her so much to make it a worthless fight, thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

Becoming a girl

and finding a relationship. Talk about luck!

Luck, or just being herself?

RobertaME's picture

When I got dumped from a 3 year relationship with a woman that used to beat me for not being manly enough, I told myself then that if I were ever to get involved with another woman ever again it would begin with me telling her just who it was that she was seeing. I lacked the money to transition, or even have much in the way of women's clothes, so I was still living as a male outside my apartment. The day I met the woman who would be my wife, I told her who I was on our first date.

Her reaction? "So... that's it? That's what you were so scared to tell me?"

She asked me to marry her three days later. I was still very anxious about getting into another relationship, so I said no... so she waited a few weeks and asked again... and again... until I finally said yes! We were married 8 weeks after our first date. That was 22 years ago this Friday.

My point is that when I stopped trying to be something I could never be and started being honest, with myself and my partner, everything started to fall into place. In this story, the protagonist tried to make a relationship with Kate as a guy only to be rebuffed... until she stopped lying to herself and others and just started being herself... which turned out to be a person Kate could love.

Moral: Beeeee yourself!

Love it, Dorothy!

being yourself

I highly recommend being yourself if you can do so safely. unless you can be a unicorn, then you should always be a unicorn

DogSig.png