Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 25 "Cloudy Outlook"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Twenty Five

 

"Cloudy Outlook"

 

 
Friday 12th May 2017 (Cont)
 

Tammy put the handset down on the desk and opened the door of the secure room.

"Joey, we have a problem; best you come in."

"What?"

"Your father is on his way here."

"How do you know?"

She pointed at the phone. "I have just been told."

"Who by?"

"The source isn't relevant but is trusted. Do you know anything that might help?"

"He wouldn't be coming to Thurso, he doesn't have a reason or my address."

"Be that as it may, he's made a reservation at a local hotel."

"Where are you getting this? I wonder what mum knows?"

There was a shout of "Stop!" from the handset. Tammy picked it up.

"Don't let her call her mum, we have a bad enough security risk as it stands."

Joey hadn't moved, so Tammy waved at her to close the door before putting the phone in conference mode.

"You're on speaker now."

"Okay. Joey, I am Captain Marcus Wade. Firstly, do not call anyone and secondly I am going to email Tammy a form which you are to read and sign then send back. Understood?"

"Yes."

The line went dead.

"What the hell is going on, Tammy?"

"I'd best not say anything until we receive the form."

Tammy printed it off when it arrived.

Joey picked up up. "Bloody hell, the 'Official Secrets Act'!"

"Yes, I suggest you sign."

"Do I have any choice?"

"Yes, but a failure to sign does not exempt you from the Act, all this does is to remind you of your obligations."

"Yeah, how come you know so much about this?"

"I was dragged in when I was just over your age, terrorists tried to kill my family."

"Bloody Hell! Why didn't I find that in the press?"

"You might have seen it, only my name was kept out of it."

Joey looked back at the sheet and signed in the two places.

"That's it, they have me for life? This beats a boring estate agency job!"

"An attitude like that can get you killed, Joey. Or at least, put both of us at great risk of harm. This is deadly serious stuff."

Tammy scanned then emailed the sheet, noting that the email address was Marcus' official Ministry of Defense account and not some anonymous one. The door to the secure room was wedged open with a chair open so Tammy went to the phone as soon as it rang, answering with the hands-free mode. Joey followed Tammy in, deciding to close the door behind her.

"Now, Joey, are you there?"

"Yes, Sir."

"What you are about to be told is classified Secret. You do not repeat this information and only speak to Tammy or myself about it, absolutely no-one else. Understood?"

"Yes."

"Did you hear about an incident concerning your father being humiliated at Wattisham a few weeks back?"

"Yes, there was mention, although he wouldn't go into detail about it."

"Tammy was involved, the focus was his attitude, to which he took personal offence over."

Joey laughed, "Most likely, he deserved it."

"Regardless of that, he has a problem with Miss Smart. It's likely that he's found her and is coming to Thurso to settle his personal grudge."

"So it's got nothing to do with me?"

"He's a resourceful person so don't make assumptions. You notified a few government agencies to your new address, didn't you?"

"Of course, I updated my electoral roll entry a week ago.....OH. That's me, buggered."

"So, either you work with Tammy to resolve this or cast yourself adrift to fend for yourself. Remember that you can't tell anyone what you know or how you know it."

"And Tammy will keep me safe?"

"Safe being a relative term, she'll do her best. She's been quite good with collateral damage recently, which is saying something."

"I think you're complimenting me, Marcus?"

Joey shrugged, although the effort was mostly wasted. "That doesn't fill me with confidence."

"She's good and always seems to get out of a tight spot. Most importantly, keep your eyes and ears open as things can move fast."

"Yes, Sir."

"Good, now I suggest you go put the kettle on as Tammy and I have some things to discuss."

With Joey out of the room, Tammy went back to the handset. "How much more can I tell her?"

"Only enough to keep her safe, she's your problem now."

"Brilliant."

"Look, it was your decision to hire her and you have to take full responsibility. It's known as 'duty of care' in civvy land."

"Don't rub it in, Marcus. She was the best for the job and this morning, until you rang, proved it. She'll be able to look after my business whilst I'm playing soldiers with you lot."

"There's one of your problems, Tammy, you're leaving yourself wide open to threats as you are putting yourself and your business above security."

"Need I remind you Marcus, I don't have the luxury of putting myself behind a military grade firewalls and barbed wire fencing."

"Both of which can be defeated by a trained operative."

"And Lt Col Cooper isn't one of those."

"True enough, his biggest operational decision would be choosing which fountain pen to use for reporting anyone he deems to be 'lacking essential decorum' usually female personnel."

"So is there a risk?"

"Of course there is, what if he sits in the bar of your local hotel and asks where to find the girl who violently attacked him?"

"Then several people would start asking questions."

"Especially if he mentions you pulled a weapon on him?"

"That could be awkward."

"So it has to be avoided."

"How?"

"That's your play, let me know what you decide." The line went dead.

Tammy walked out into the office, allowing the secure room door to close behind her. Joey was just finishing a call on her mobile.

"That was mum."

"Did you call her? What did you say?"

"Calm down, Tammy, she phoned me as Dad is at York on his way North. He'll be in Dundee in a few hours, he has some papers for mum to sign and I think she has a few for him. She wanted to know my intentions."

"So that was planned?"

"Not really, it all depended when he could get enough time off-duty."

"Okay, so that's his reason for travelling to Scotland. However; Thurso is over two hundred miles from Dundee and six hours by rail."

"So we stop him leaving Dundee?"

"Really? How do you propose that?"

"Can't we just feed him something to make him ill?"

"Firstly, that's illegal. Second; I've no idea how to go about that."

Joey laughed. "You have a secret squirrel phone, in a sealed room. You have connections to the military, but pretend to run a properties business."

"If I was pretending, I wouldn't need you. This isn't a joke or a game. This business is real, as am I. You work for me, I work for myself."

"But all this other bit is nothing like what mum did. She had government clients and Dad is military, yet nothing like this. That tells me you're a spy."

"Don't be so stupid. I was telling the truth, when I said I was targeted by terrorists a few years ago. It was very complicated and very dangerous for a while. I have the means to keep in touch with people who can help me. It also means I occasionally do courses other than those offered at the University. I was on such a course at Wattisham when I met your father, not that I knew who he was then nor cared."

"So what's this next course?"

"I have no idea, and won't until I get there. That's the truth."

"Okay, do you go around with a gun?"

Tammy did a twirl. "What do you see? I couldn't hide a thing in these clothes!" She reached over and opened her handbag. "Look, no ray gun or blowpipe."

"Okay, okay, fair enough. It's still a bit weird."

"Yes, but we'll sort through. We still have the issue of your father. Does he drive?" Tammy researched the train times.

"Oh, no. And he insists on First Class on every train."

"Well, he's booked for Sunday night and the only trains that make sense are the 1408 and 1443 from Dundee, both of which arrive in Thurso at 2146. That suggests to me he won't be looking for either of us before Monday morning."

"Which means I'll be here on my own once you go to the university."

"I realise that. Hmmmm, what's your father's actual job?"

"Logistics."

"That's useful to know."

An incoming call distracted Joey from her questions. "That was the glazier, he's boarded up that window and will be back next week to replace the glass."

"Right, can you update the call note on the PC?"

The time was passing midday and there wasn't much more for Joey to do. Tammy made a drama out of opening the safe, deliberately getting the combination wrong. She took out the petty cash box and put £50 aside, the cash box went away but she left the receipt book out on her desk. Another object in the safe caught her eye.

"On a Friday we do a backup of the files. We'll make that your last task for today."

"What do I need to do?"

"Take two blank DVDs, as well as two cases and a sheet of disk labels, from the stationery cupboard. Use the backup software to make two backups and labels."

"Okay."

That took half an hour to achieve but Joey had two verified disks in the end.

"One goes in this safe, come here, Joey." Tammy opened the safe, at first attempt, and showed the girl where to drop the disk, ensuring she had a clear view of the contents before Tammy shut it.

"The other disk goes to an off-site storage facility. I'll take it there myself."

"Okay, where is it?"

"You don't need to know, yet."

Tammy counted out £50 and wrote out a receipt slip, asking Joey to sign for it.

"This is more than you would normally get for five hours, so please don't expect it every time. Well done for today."

"Thanks."

"And a reminder, do not discuss anything you learned this morning with anyone, not even your mother. I have no idea what he is capable of or who his friends are."

"You're scaring me, Tammy."

"Have you ever heard the adage to prepare for the worst and hope for the best?"

"Yes."

"Well, this is where we are, Joey."

"So plan for everything in the hope you won't need to do anything?"

"Yes. Now, can you remember the lock up procedure as I need to go into town?"

A minute or so later they were out on the street. Joey wanted to say something, but Tammy shook her head and walked away. Joey headed in the opposite direction.

The bar clock said it was just after One as Tammy entered the Castletown Hotel, she took a seat towards the back of the bar after acknowledging a few familiar faces. A barman came to take her order, returning with her OJ and lemonade a short while later.

She'd ordered food, despite having bought rolls earlier, but the ends would justify the means, in her book. Frances Ernesto, the manager, passed by her table a short while later.

"Frances, could I have a private word with you?"

"I'm busy now, a little later perhaps?"

"Of course."

Tammy's lunch was taking its time, but she could see a large group in the restaurant with staff running to and fro with dishes. A barman confirmed there was a coach party staying for a few nights on a full board basis most days.

"It's great for business, but we're short of staff for a few more weeks until the students are available all week."

Tammy's Spanish omelette arrived after half an hour but was hot and fresh. She'd just finished when Frances appeared at her shoulder. "I'm free for a few minutes."

Tammy grabbed her bag and followed Frances to his office.

"Is there a problem, Miss Smart?"

"I believe you have a booking for a John Cooper on Sunday night?"

"We do."

"How many nights is he staying?"

"Two. I recall speaking to him after he made the on-line booking, he said he wanted to stay Saturday night as well, but we're full."

"When did he say he would arrive?"

"On the late train."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Shall I presume we didn't have this conversation, Miss Smart?"

"Yes, please, thank you. Lovely lunch, as always."

"A pleasant afternoon, Miss Smart."

Tammy used the loo then went back to the office. After checking the fax machine she called Marcus.

"Cooper has booked two nights in the Castletown hotel, arriving by train just before ten on Sunday evening."

"So he'll become a problem on Monday morning."

"Unless he never reaches Thurso."

"Come on Tammy, putting him on the floor was one thing, but taking him down is completely out of the question."

Tammy laughed. "No, I intend him to travel back to England in a healthy state."

"That's something to be grateful for, we're not in the business of arbitrary assassinations."

"Except when you are?"

"No idea of what you mean."

"Okay, okay. What are we going to do?"

"Do not include me in that 'we' Lieutenant Smart. This is your problem and you will find a solution."

"In which case, Sir, I will do what I can to protect myself and Joey."

"Noted; I will not defend any inappropriate actions. You really will be on your own."

"Yeah, but what options do I have?"

"Primarily, the town must be standing and no personnel are dead or grievously injured when you're done. Those are your parameters. You'll think of something. Just make sure that teenager does not drop us all in the mire! I took one hell of a risk briefing her earlier."

"Understood, Sir."

Tammy needed another coffee before she could concentrate on a solution to the problem. surprisingly, Joey was back at her desk fielding calls and emails as if she'd worked there for months.

Finally Joey put the phone down. "Well, where do I begin?"

"We'll sort this out. But why are you back here?"

"I needed answers and I'm not looking forward to the weekend."

"I'm not sure I have any answers right now."

"Well, what did he mean about collateral damage?"

"A few people have been hurt, mostly because I didn't have the right training, wasn't prepared or both."

"Hurt? Do you mean killed?"

"In one case; yes."

"And you didn't get prosecuted?"

"No, as I said it's very complicated."

"Like why you were at Wattisham?"

"I was on a course."

"With the military?"

"Yes."

"So what was the course about?"

"What to wear to lunch."

"Go on, really?"

"Remember that sheet you signed? Well, I've signed one exactly like it, too."

"Yeah, so you can't tell me if you're a ruddy Jane Bond with an arsenal of weapons and a licence to kill?"

"Correct, I can't."

"But you didn't deny anything, so you are Jane Bond!"

"Really? All I did was tell you I couldn't answer the question. Semantics matter."

"So how will you protect me?"

"By being observant, listening to advice and telling you only what you need to know."

"Why not tell me everything?"

"As that would have the opposite result, being dangerous and reckless. Anything you know could ultimately be used against me and I need to do what I can to mitigate that risk."

"But?"

"No, I've learned the hard way that information has to be managed. I'm sure that the Captain will call if he knows anything relevant. Meanwhile, go home, I'm locking up for the day.

The sun had come out so Tammy walked to the sea wall, buying an ice-cream on the way. She stared out to sea letting the morning's stresses waft away.

"Aunt Tammy!"

She turned around and found Linda in a kilt and blouse, accompanied by Richard.

"Oh, hi Dad, hi Linda."

"I have a solicitor of my own now!"

"Good, your voice needs to be heard, just don't shout please!"

"That's what Miss Masters told me. Can I have an ice-cream, Mr Smart?"

Richard pulled a tenner out of his wallet and sent the schoolgirl over towards the ice-cream van.

"How come you got lumbered, Dad?"

"No-one else was available and we didn't want to spread the knowledge about Linda's legal situation amongst too many of the staff."

"So it was you, Mum or Mike?"

"Basically, yes. What are you doing here?"

"Decompressing, it's been a stressful day. Thought a bit of air would clear my head."

"Pru said you have a new member of staff?"

"She started today."

"Hard work?"

"No, other things happened. I can't talk about it, unfortunately."

"Oh, that?"

"Yes."

Linda was on her way back with a couple of cornets so the conversation ended. For Tammy at least, the sight of a happy schoolgirl was a relief given that only a few days ago she had been desperate for answers.

"Aunt Tammy, that Miss Masters was so nice, she says she'll sort everything out for me!"

"That's good news, did she say how long it would be?"

"My name should be sorted in a week or so and she'll look after everything else but it might take longer."

"It will probably take a month or more to have your name changed everywhere, and that doesn't change anything else - yet."

"So I'll still legally be a boy over the summer?" The smile had gone.

"I don't see any boys here?"

"Except Mr Smart!" Linda giggled.

"Oh, he's no boy; he's a gentleman and my father."

Richard chuckled at that comment.

"Oh, sorry!"

Tammy tapped her head. "The important thing is who you feel you are, are you a girl Linda?"

"Of course I am!"

"Then that's all sorted. Anyway, how many boys do you think are called Linda?"

"None?"

"That's the right answer, as far as I know."

The smile was back. "Yeah!"

"So what are you doing next?"

"I'm meeting Aunt Cathy soon and we're going shopping."

"That is always fun. What for?"

"A dress, I'm going out tomorrow night!"

"Where?"

"I think she said it was the Italian place."

"Have fun, I've got to go."

"Bye Aunt Tammy."

As she walked away she couldn't help feel sorry for her father, who had drawn the short straw. Linda's emotions could swing either way in seconds and one wrong word could send her from happy girl to a frown on legs. So far as the meal was concerned, what were the chances? Tammy had booked for four, although she didn't know if Suzie was in town for the weekend. Cathy's entourage was another four, assuming Helen was still away.

 
Saturday 13th May 2017
 

Tammy woke with a nagging doubt about keeping Joey safe. There was also the small problem of keeping Joey's mouth closed. It was only just seven but she made a call.

"Yeah, what?"

"Joey, it's Tammy."

"And it's early."

"What are you doing today?"

"Nothing much."

"How would you like a ride in my plane?"

"Plane?"

"It's only a two seater."

"Where are you going?"

"Over to the islands and back."

"Okay, can you pick me up?"

"I'll come past at eight, where?"

"On Olrig St, just before the crossing."

Tammy was down for breakfast after she'd showered.

"Going out?"

"Yes, mum, taking my plane up for hours. Are you still ok for the meal tonight?"

"Yes, I forgot to say that I invited Cathy along, with the girls."

"Did you speak to the restaurant?"

"Cathy said she would."

"What about transport?"

"Oh, we'll sort something out."

Tammy chose slim jeans, knee high boots and a sweater for the day, from experience Tammy knew her plane's heating wasn't very efficient. She found the jeans and sweatshirt clad Joey beside the road and stopped just long enough for her new employee to hop in.

"Buckle up, we're off!"

Tammy threaded her way past the traffic lights and took the back road to Wick.

"Why are you going this way?"

"This road goes straight past the airport, otherwise I'd end up in the town and would have to cut back across."

"Oh, did the military teach you to fly?"

"No, I learned by myself, for me."

"I spoke to mum last night."

"Oh, how did that go?"

"She called me to tell me my father is arriving later today and asked if I could get back."

"And?"

"I told her I had to be at work on Monday morning and didn't fancy spending the whole weekend travelling."

"What's she going to tell your father?"

"That I'm with friends, which is true isn't it?"

Tammy spoke to the security guard and obtained a day permit for Joey before they parked over by the hanger.

"Smart Aviation?"

"Family business."

"Wow."

Tammy's plane was sat on the concrete a few yards from the hanger. One thing caught her eye immediately.

"Jim?"

"The CAA confirmed me could transfer the registration and your dad agreed. This plane is now G-TMYS."

"But?"

"Talk to your father; I only work here!"

Tammy fumed but got on with her pre-flight checks, leaving Joey standing by the car. When she returned with the current Met information she announced they were nearly ready to go.

"I was wondering if you'd get off the ground?"

"Just a few more checks to do, climb in."

A few minutes later they were taxiing. "G-TMYS you are cleared for take off."

They were flying into the wind so had extra lift and were off the ground quicker than normal. Tammy rose to one thousand-five-hundred feet and levelled off as she headed across open sea. The cloudbase was at 2500ft and Tammy wanted to keep well under it.

"Wow! I should have brought a camera."

They were over the water and Tammy was very conscious of what had happened the last time she took this route. The plane, however, wasn't showing any signs of trouble. It wasn't long before they were over the Orkneys and Tammy had to talk to Kirkwall Tower, who advised her to climb to 2250ft. As they continued across the Orkneys Joey were wide-eyed.

"I never knew how many islands there were, it just looks like two or three on the maps I've seen."

"Things do have a habit of looking different when you take a close look."

Soon they were back over open sea with one speck of land ahead.

"That's Fair Isle."

"I've heard that mentioned on the shipping forecast."

The Shetlands now rose out of the horizon. Tammy flew over Lerwick for Joey's benefit before turning South.

"Do you fancy a coffee?"

"Sure, is there in-flight service?"

"No but there's an airport near here with a cracking coffee shop, or so I've been told!"

Tammy contacted Sumburgh and requested permission to land, although first she had to lose altitude and seemed to confuse Joey.

"Haven't we just been past there?"

They touched down about ten o'clock. Tammy first completed her log, noting the fuel reserved and meter readings before picking up the Highlands & Islands Airports registration card.

"What do you need that for?"

"I don't pay landing fees here as we're based at Wick, but the plane's registration has changed so I'll go check just in case."

That wasn't a problem and soon they took a stroll over to Caffé Volare, taking a seat in a quiet corner with their hot drinks.

"What did you think of that?"

"It's amazing."

"What did you have planned for later?"

"Nothing, why?"

"Did you want to join us for Italian, this evening?"

"Who'll be there?"

"My parents, my sister, aunt Cathy and the three girls."

"So almost all girls?"

"Yes, is that a problem?"

"I don't know. Perhaps it'll be best if I'm not there?"

"No pressure, I'm booked to get my hair done this afternoon."

"Did you buy a new dress?"

"Yes."

"Well, Miss Girly, that's not my scene."

Tammy bit her tongue. "So what's the real reason you don't want to join us tonight?"

"I can't afford it."

"I'm paying, what's the real reason?"

"You've met me three times, what have I worn each time?"

"Blue or black jeans and a black sweatshirt or t-shirt."

"Yeah, that's more or less my entire wardrobe."

"Don't you ever want to look smart, or even pretty?"

"Pretty? No, and all I want is to be invisible. I don't want to be noticed and I don't want a relationship so I'm not going to turn myself into a pastiche of someone I'm not."

Joey stood. "Excuse me."

Tammy watched as Joey walked across the café towards the toilets. She looked around before going through the female signed door.

When Joey returned she had two requests. "Can we drop the subject, please, and I want to go home."

Tammy left her employee alone whilst she herself took herself to the loo. She took her time to check her hair and make-up before walking back into the café. She signalled Joey to follow as Tammy turned for the door.

The cloud cover had descended so Tammy kept at 1500ft for the return trip to Wick. A crosswind caught the nose of her plane as she came down, Tammy compensated and landed safely but with a substantial bump.

"Oomph! You did that on purpose!"

Tammy kept quiet until she'd brought the plane to a standstill by the hanger.

"How many times have you flown?"

"Twice, last time I went to Wattisham I flew from Edinburgh to Norwich and back."

"And neither of those airports is as exposed as we are, here. The planes were much larger than my one, too."

"Yeah, I counted forty seats, including the crew."

Tammy completed her log before leaving the aircraft.

"How was she, Tammy?"

"Fine, Jim, although I kept her down because of the cloud."

"Understandable, I had a call from Sumburgh to say you'd landed there."

"I can't go anywhere!"

"Correct, and don't try to fly under the radar. Does she need refuelling?"

"Yes, but I'll do that on Thursday morning."

"What time are you off?"

"I have a two o'clock landing slot at Glasgow, so leaving at midday?"

"I suggest you leave a little earlier."

"Okay, I'll see you around half ten that day."

Tammy finally unlocked her car and soon they were heading to the gate. A glance at the fuel gauge directed Tammy into the Tesco petrol station a short distance for the airport.

"I just want to top the tank up, and I have no plans to be here any longer than is necessary."

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Shiraz,

Lovely to have Tammy back but it seems Joey is going to be a worry, despite the Official Secrets Act ,
it is not a game and is a huge responsibility. You have me feeling better already :)!

Thank you.....

shiraz's picture

....Alison Mary!

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Wonder ....

... if she will think to call her American friend for some help in dealing with her newest problem. It sounds like Tammy and Joey may make a good team for her properties business after this. I will have to wait and see what develops in the next chapter, I hope there that I don't have to wait too long for the next interesting chapter in this series. Kudos!

Confused messages on the Joey Front

smdani4mm's picture

I am getting confused messages on the Joey Front.

1. She wear has a girls id, but is hesitant at going into the girls restroom.
2. She has an aversion to wearing dresses. Only jeans and tops.
3. She doesnt want to be seen with girls (as in she might be found out?)
4. Her Father maybe doesnt like how she turned out.

Is she really a girl
or is she a boy becoming a girl
or is she a girl becoming a boy.

Dani

SmDani4

Joey

shiraz's picture

Hi Dani,

We're finding out about Joey as Tammy finds out.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

"We"

WillowD's picture

I hope "we" doesn't include you, Shiraz. If you don't know more about Joey than we do then we might be seriously in trouble regarding the writing of future chapters. <3

Thank you again for all of the awesome Tammy stories. And the other stuff you've written.

For me when I write I let the

For me when I write I let the story tell me where it wants to go and let the characters tell me their own stories I just write it down which could be why I haven’t written anything in a couple of months

Joey

WillowD's picture

I decided a while ago to start guessing about Joey's gender status and issues.

But I suspect that Joey's father has a lot to do with why she appears to be "damaged goods" these days. Her desire to not be noticed probably has a lot to do with her father. And note that Joey took a job in the middle of nowhere, probably because she wanted to get away from the drama of her home life.

I have to agree,

Joey is only making their life more complicated with the gender queer thing.

more complications

nothing is ever simple for Mrs. Smart!

DogSig.png

Joey

Not your typical girl is she? The way she's written, she is either a Lesbian or has been assaulted or molested perhaps? Poor child.

Nice episode. I do hope that Tammy avoids the girl's father.

Gwen

From Tammy's Point Of View

joannebarbarella's picture

Joey's androgeny doesn't matter as long as she/he does his/her job. Wearing the gear described she/he had better stay away from Hong Kong or he/she will be branded as a trouble-making protester!
If I had to make a bet I would say that Joey is female, but I could be wrong and I'm content to wait and find out. The chances of Tammy avoiding Joey's father are less than nil. Just think what a dull story this would be without all the bother that he will generate.

What a hypocrite!!!!1

"Look, it was your decision to hire her and you have to take full responsibility. It's known as 'duty of care' in civvy land."

I'm speechless at the gall ...

"I just want to top the tank up, and I have no plans to be here any longer than is necessary."

Tee-hee - we know where this is going - tee-hee - the Deathstar shows up - tee-hee ...