Summer with Em - Part 31

Printer-friendly version

1842239-health-club-girl-in-a-gym-doing-weight-lifting.jpg

Summer With Em - Chapter 31

By Julie D Cole.

I was soon dressed and I dried my hair and put on some make-up ready to meet Frankies mum who looked refreshed after a good nights sleep. She was already to leave and had eaten so Frankie and I just had a quick snack since I’d decided that I should try to get back in time to meet Em to go with her to meet mum from the train. We were soon on our way Frankies mum quite chatty in the back seat. She was obviously keen to know more about me.

I tried my best to answer as honestly as possible and Frankie cut in from time to time to try to change the subject. She seemingly didn’t want me to disclose any details of my true gender that would confirm the negative publicity. One thing she did obviously did notice before we left was the ring on my finger.

She asked if I was in a relationship and engaged to be married and had a look of disappointment on her face since she was aware that Frankie and I were in bed together and that we were close.

Frankie didn’t let me answer and was quick to point out that it was a ring that she’d bought for Steph that she’d given to me as a gift for saving her grand-fathers life. I switched the ring to my other hand and made a lame excuse about me having put it on the wrong hand by mistake.

She just smiled and looked out of the window. Frankie nearly burst out laughing since I was obviously red with embarrassment. I called Em to arrange to go with her to collect mum and Frankie said she’d drop me at the apartment that would also give me chance to change and pack a few things to stay with her. Her mum gave a little cough and a knowing smile.

We soon arrived at Frankies place and her mum hugged us both after we dropped her home and swopped cars. Frankie wanted to call work for a few hours so she dropped me at Em’s to sort some things out and call work. I had one more day before I was back on duty so chance to spend some time with mum at least.

I had time to call Em and I agreed to take a bus to the railway station to meet her there and avoid her having to leave work early to collect me. I had time to call the doctors surgery and they gave me instructions how to register as a patient and the receptionist was kind enough to fix an appointment for 5pm the following day. The appointment was with one of the lady doctors that made me nervous but with luck mum would be with me.

I decided I should wear the shorts I’d brought from home and a loose top to try to hide my bust as much as possible. My shirts from home were too tight now so I’d obviously expanded. I wished I had a tight t shirt to wear underneath or some binding material. In the end I put my bra back on to stop any bounce that might draw attention.

I looked in the mirror and tied my hair back into a pony-tail that I arranged so it fitted underneath a baseball hat. I opted for some canvas shoes that Em had given me. They matched near enough and I removed my make-up to try and look less feminine so not to shock mum too much even though she’d seen me on video calls. I felt I owed it to her to behave as much like a son as possible at least until the initial shock of the changes that had taken place had worn off. I knew Em had talked to her a few times about me but it couldn’t have been bad or I’d have been in trouble.

I used a small backpack that Em had given me to carry a few essentials. It seemed secure enough although the downside was that the straps accentuated my breasts. I couldn’t resist applying a light coat of lipstick in a light colour that I would remove at the station.

I arrived early to avoid as much of the rush hour as I could and headed for a Starbucks. I found a quiet corner and logged onto their wi-fi to catch up on facebook messages and any other messages from work or friends. I saw that the article about me was still on the BBC site that had attracted a lot of comments. They were a mixture of abuse and praise so I stopped reading them. I sent Em a message to tell her where I was and she was less than 15 minutes away.

Two female university students asked if they could share the table and got lost in conversation. I needed the loo so I asked them to watch the rest of my coffee and followed the signs to the washrooms that were upstairs. There was a small queue outside the ladies and somebody inside the disabled/baby changing room so I looked at the Gents and decided I had to use it. As I moved to the door a man came out and pointed me towards the ladies. My neutral look clearly hadn’t worked so I stood in line. I dropped my pony-tail outside my had to try to avoid any complaints when I went through the other door. I put on a little more lipstick that I hoped would also help. Luckily there were no complaints.

When I got back to the table I tucked my hair back under my cap and one of the girls sitting there smiled and said I looked nice. I didn’t know whether to take it as a complement or if she was trying to be funny. Then she asked if I was attending the University and if I was in Manchester to register as they had done. I told them I went to a college in London and I was up in Manchester staying with my aunt and working through the holiday.

The chatting increased and they introduced themselves. They asked my advice on the best student bars and eating places and where the shopping malls were located. I did my best based on my limited knowledge but in truth I’d not spent much of my own money since Em, Bec’s and Frankie had been treating me.

Em arrived before we finished chatting. I daren’t introduce her as my aunt so I just introduced her as Em. They got up to leave and we headed to the main hall to check the arrival time of mums train.

;Is this your butch look then? What’s with the disguise?’

‘Sorry it was just that I didn’t want to shock mum.’

‘Well drop your hair at least. Didn’t you see the way those two were looking at you. They assumed you were butch. Where’s the make-up? What’s with the boy-shorts I thought you’d binned them.’

‘But mum might be upset or angry.’

‘Don’t be silly she’s seen you on our calls and I’ve sent her some photo’s. She can’t wait to see you in the flesh.’

‘But I feel I’ve let her down. I’m her only son afterall.’

‘Don’t pre-judge Kim. Your mum knows you better than you think.’

‘But she has never seen me like this. I’ve changed so much since I arrived in Manchester. I can’t think straight sometimes. I feel really confused.’

‘Look a mum always knows her child best. In your case she brought you up virtually single handed and she became concerned about you. She asked for my help and we agreed for you to get away from your home environment for a while. She wanted me to get to know you better and help her to help you. She was really worried about you because you were in a rut with no friends and no social life.’

‘Em I was struggling at home. I took some convincing to come here but it’s been non-stop since I arrived. I really appreciate your kindness and it will be great to see you and mum together.’

‘Yes we are a family at last. I regret not visiting you in London. I should have invited you and your mum to come up here before. Life gets in the way but now have a chance to put things right.’

Tears were welling and we hugged. As I dropped my arms Em took hold of my hand. ‘What’s this, a ring on your finger.’

‘Oh yes it was a gift from Frankie for helping to save her grandfather. It’s nothing really.’

‘But it’s beautiful. It’s an engagement ring. You haven’t have you?’

‘No, definitely not. It’s a gift I promise.’

‘But why wear it on your third finger left hand.’

‘Because it fitted and I’m right handed and I didn’t want to damage it at work whatever.’

‘Mmm. Really. So it’s from Frankie who has taken you in and never let you out of her sight. Just be careful please because she hasn’t fully recovered from losing Steph. I don’t want you to be hurt.’

‘But it’s just a friendship and we hardly know each other. I like her because she’s been kind and I think she’s had a hard time. I don’t think her grandfather has accepted that she is such a strong woman with different views to him.’

‘No he isn’t my idea of a grandfather. Your grandfather in Italy is so different. I think you’ve definitely got his genes. Pity we don’t see him. It’s been a long time. Maybe you should take a visit sometime.’

‘It’s difficult. I don’t want to upset mum.’

‘Look a lot of water has gone under the bridge. Life moves on. You have a right to see your roots. Mum won’t object or be hurt I can assure you.’

‘Maybe. Funnily enough Frankie offered to go to Italy with me if I wanted to. I might at some stage.’

We looked at the arrivals screen and saw mums train was due so rushed towards the platforms. It was spot on time and the train was busy so lots of people were pushing past us all seemingly in a hurry. Then I saw mum waving and Em rushed forward to greet her with a hug. Then she spotted me.

.My Kim. You are a picture. You look so well. Colour in your cheeks and so much better than when you left. You must be happy up here. Well done Em. I’ve got my son back already.’

‘ But mum are you sure you’re happy to see me like this?’

‘Like what. You look very nice. I can see Em’s influence. I expected a little more make-up but you don’t need it. She was always the same at your age.’

We hugged and them walked arm in arm to Em’s car with Em taking charge of mums case and ushering towards the car park.’
It’s hard to recall what we talked about on the journey to Ems place with mum sitting in the back chattering and laughing all the way and clearly very excited.

Once we arrived mum freshened up a bit and moved into my room. I’d packed what I needed into a suitcase ready for moving to Frankies apartment for the week and I’d tidied around and changed the sheets on the bed. Mum asked who had cleaned up after me because at home she had a scruffy son who never tidied anything.

We all chatted over some tea and biscuits. Mum commented on how soft the water was compared to home and how it improved the taste of the tea and what a pleasure it was to make a lather on her hands with perfumed soap.

I told her my plans and about my job and she was interested to hear about the swimming pool incident and how Bec’s had helped me. Em told her that Bec’s had moved in and they were in a relationship together so she’d arranged for us to eat together and chat. She was also keen to meet Frankie. Especially when she saw the ring on my finger that I’d moved to my right hand to avoid any more interrogation.

I told her that I’d arranged an appointment at the surgery that was close by but I had no information on my medical records. Mum said once I’d registered they’d be able to get them from our surgery at home. She said she could provide a history during the examination if they asked.

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

its a nice fantasy

The train being on time

Yes so true

Just my humour I suppose. I must have thought I was in Japan where trains are on time, you book seats when buying a ticket, clear your own rubbish on leaving the train and the carriages arrive at marked positions on the platforms.
All the high speed bullet trains are a credit to them and staff appreciate their jobs. They don't strike. There won't be disruption during the forthcoming Rugby World Cup for repairs or strikes.

Back to reality. I didn't want to drag the chapter out with Em and Kim sitting waiting for an announcement saying the track had melted due to the heatwave just south of Manchester. No leaves or snow on the line in summer so excuse number 3 is hot weather.

Jules

Jipee, another chapter of...

Mantori's picture

SWE!

This truly made my Sunday so much better.

Thank you so very much Julie.
Your story stays as good as ever. Now that Kimble's mother is here, I hope she talks some sense into her daughters head, to let go and just be herself.

As always looking forward to the next chapter.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Thanks Again

I have replaced my laptop that was causing too many problems and frustrated my writing.
Now I hope to get back to the story and bring it to conclusion soon as I have several of my other stories to go back to and complete. I promised that I would.
Since I had some good kudos scores with this story I was determined not to rush the ending. Sorry it has taken so long.

Jules

W-e-l-l...

Mantori's picture

...you are always forgiven, being that your stories are my absolute favourite here.

Funny, I know someone who says and I quote "sorry does not exist to me in this context"... maybe I am paraphrasing, but you get the drift. So the same applies here.

Thank you again.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Suspense

The suspense of the doctors appt is driving me nuts so many things depend upon that. I get the doctors office is going to be interesting when they call her name. Mom also somehow seems Kimmie as her son even with how she is currently presenting I wonder if that is going to cause problems. I wonder if she is scheduled for a gynecological exam with that doctor since they don't have records yet.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna