Gaby Book 19 ~ Girl’s on Fire ~ Chapter *31* The Stuttgart Bun Fight

Printer-friendly version
 Book 19 full cover.JPG
 
 
<
em>*Chapter 31*
The Stuttgart Bun Fight

 
Whether our absence and sojourn to the upper floors was noticed I couldn’t say, certainly no one said anything. A change of music style had occurred during our trip upstairs, it was at least bearable even if the covers of seventies ‘Glam Rock’ were less than danceable. Not that that was much of an issue as I found myself ‘dancing’ with my new ‘best friend’, Saskia rather than with, say Max.

"Thanks so much for keeping Saski out of mischief,” Joanne, her mother offered.

Said child gave me an exaggerated wink.

"No problem, we had fun eh, Sas?”
"Yes,” she agreed with a nod.
"No doubt we’ll see you tomorrow, Gaby.”
"Er yeah.”
"Come on, Bun, let’s find your papa and get you to bed.”

 
"Finished babysitting?” Soph enquired thrusting a glass of something into my hand.
"I wasn’t babysitting, what’s this?”
"No idea,” my waitress advised.
"You think she’ll keep quiet?” Max queried.
"I doubt it,” I admitted, "I showed her my hair which might deflect her.”
"Your hair?” Soph asked.
"You don’t think I'd have my hair cut like this do you?”
"Why not, it looks good on you, so it’s a perücke?”
"I did wonder,” Max added, "It’s nice but I prefer it long.”

I gave him a pointed look.

"Er not that you don’t look nice with it shorter,” he blustered.
"So why the perücke?” Soph looked a bit confused.

I took a slug of my drink, eurgh, is that Martini?

"Ladies,” I told her, “here, get me something I can drink,” I demanded of Max handing him my glass.
 
"You haven’t had your head shaved or something?” Soph suggested once we had the toilets to ourselves.
"Be daft!”
"Well?”

For the second time this evening I unpinned my wig and exposed my candyfloss pink locks.

"Oh mein Gott!” Soph exclaimed, "My parents would go ballistic.”
"Mine weren’t exactly happy,” I admitted, "It wasn’t exactly planned.”
"It wasn’t?”
"It’s a long story.”
"Tell me, tell me,” she enthused.
"Well,” I started whilst starting to refit my hairpiece, "It all started before prom….”

 
"Bum,” I muttered.
"You nearly ready, Gaby?” Gloria called from the main room.
"Er yeah, just finishing,” I replied blotting the blob of mascara from my cheek – I guess you can have too much massy. I checked my reflection again, not bad if I do say so myself. A quick adjust of my frock and I was ready.
"You aren’t supposed to outshine the bride,” the Baroness grinned when I presented myself for inspection.
"I won’t will I?” I panicked, I mean, even I know that’s bad form.
"Well, it’s good you aren’t in the bridal group, eh?” she winked.
"Er, Gloria, can I ask something?”
"Can’t promise an answer.”
"Well, the necklace and earrings last night.”
"The amber,” the Baroness suggested, "They suit you well.”
"Er yeah, well it’s just something that Joanne said last night.”
"Christian’s wife?”
"Er yeah, well she said something about the amber,” I poised, "She sort of thought me an’ Max are, well engaged or something.”
She gave a bit of a laugh, "That old chestnut, don’t worry about it.”
"But what was she on about?” I pressed.
"It was a family tradition from the Mittelalter , the betrothed wore amber to show their status in the family, a subtle message to would be suitors.”
"Er right, so it was just coincidence then?”
"Of course, we don’t do such archaic things now,” she stated.

I wasn’t entirely convinced, especially if Max’s Gran is involved anywhere.

 
No coaches or even short walks today, once again Wilhelm had organised a taxi to take us into the centre of Stuttgart, to the Domkirche St. Eberhard to be precise. Unlike Munich or even Bonn, Stuttgart cathedral is a pretty nondescript building, quite small and clearly not that old. And the Taxis were keeping things quite low key, no grand entrance for guests or wedding party, on arrival we were simply directed to our seats.

I couldn’t help comparing the building to those other examples, oh there were loads of flowers and stuff but it felt nonetheless like the church equivalent of a registry office. I felt a bit of a prawn, done up like a dog’s dinner, but really, compared to some of the other guests I'm a wallflower. Particularly the group of young women over on the groom’s side, I guess friends of the couple – well I think they misinterpreted the dress code somewhat.

At some point I acquired Max’s hand, not sure why, when I looked at him, he just grinned back. The groom’s party took their places and after a barely fifteen minute wait the organ halted in its supply of sound to be replaced by the opening chords of Wagner’s Bridal March. The buzz of voices dropped as everyone rose to their feet, I let Max steady me – hey, girls prerogative okay?

The bridal procession started, young Saskia leading the way doing the petal thing ahead of a mere four bridesmaids. The Duke and Serephena followed steadily behind and finally Sophia, the Matron of Honour bringing up the rear. I hadn’t even thought of what part she’d be taking today, just glad that I would just be playing a bit part, a mere member of the audience to the betrothal.

You know the score of course, bit of singing, words from the minister, exchange of vows and all the ensuing guff. Well today was no different – why would it be? The bride looked radiant of course, Saskia managed not to disturb affairs despite her growing impatience with standing still.
They did the ring bit and the newly weds went off for the register thing, the choir struck up with Ave Maria and whilst not exactly a fan of choral music I started humming along. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

‘Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum
Benedicta tu in muli eribus
Et benedictus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tuae, Jesus
Ave Maria’

The organist did a twiddly bit before the singing picked up again.

‘Ave Maria
Mater dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Ora pro nobis
Ora, ora pro nobis peccatoribus’

I smiled to myself.

‘Et in hira mortis nostrae
Et in hira mortis nostrae
Et in hira mortis nostrae
Ave Maria’

I opened my eyes as the organ chords faded to find half the congregation apparently staring at me before a smattering of polite applause echoed around the Dom.

"Er.”
"I didn’t know you sang, Gaby,” Wilhelm noted.
“She did sing the solo at Weihnachts,” Max put in.
"I er.”
"That was beautiful, dear,” Gran, Max’s Gran that is added from beyond said lummox.

I'm sure my face was clashing something terrible with my dress which, if you remember, is yellow.

"I didn’t realise I was singing.”
"Well it was either you or a very good ventriloquist,” Max chuckled.

Talk about wanting to crawl into a hole, the clapping stopped of course, another organ interlude filled the gap until Sara and her new husband returned to the waiting wedding party. I was more than happy to escape the containment of the cathedral even if it was only to join the photographic session outside.

 
"What’s with the singing?” Sophia queried as we were shuffled about by the photographer.
"Singing?”
"Oh come on, Gab, we could hear you in the presbytery.”
"I didn’t mean to, I mean I didn’t even realise I was singing.”
"Well the choirmaster is well put out, told papa he should’ve warned him there was a professional joining in.”
"I'm not...”
"Is there nothing you can’t do, Gaby Bond?” she posed.
“Um, ride a horse?”
"That could be arranged,” Soph chuckled.
"No thanks,” I allowed relaxing a little, "New Year’s was bad enough.”
"Oh well.”

 
The von Strechau’s and Taxis’ are close enough relations that once again we were included in the party that were transplanted across the city centre to the Rosenstein Gardens for the rest of the photography. Yeah, another poor couple will be lumbered with my mug all over their wedding photographs. At least it wasn’t as bad as Munich.

 
I was almost thankful when we returned to the hotel to change for the evening do, well after a light meal in the hotel restaurant. Tonight is the big bean-feast of course, last night was for family but you have, apparently to feed half the population after the nuptials. I bet Dad’s glad he won’t be doing this stuff for Jules anytime soon or for me ever!

The bun fight is taking place at the Neues Schloss back in the city centre so after a quick change into my formal frock and swapping my jewellery for the von Strechau diamonds I found myself waiting for our limousine – well you need an entrance apparently.

"You alright, Gab,” my lummox enquired.
"Yeah, why?”
"You’re shivering.”
"The air con is blowing cold,” I fudged.
"We can move,” he pointed out.
"Er look, the limo’s here.”

Not sure why I feel so flippin’ nervous, I mean I've been to posh do’s before.

 
It was as we waited our turn for the unloading zone that I realised the reason for my unease. Noticeable by their absence at this afternoon’s ceremony, the media were here in force this evening to capture the great and good at the society event of week. Another opportunity to make an appearance in Stern and Bild, just what I need.

"Sir, Miss!”

My escort turned us towards the questing voice and the bank of cameras. Yeah, deep joy. I flashed a smile, well I don’t want to look a moody cow do I, the next arrivals saved us from too long in front of the lenses and we escaped into the Neues Schloss.

stuttgart.JPG
The Schloss in 2007

 
Maddy Bell © 03.04.17

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I knew it!

I knew there had to be a hidden meaning in the colour of the jewels Gaby was wearing! Even though Gloria, said not to worry about it, I'm sure Max's Gran has a hand in this.

Poor Gaby

Again her photo will be in the press with Max, this time wearing the von Strechau diamonds.

Wonderful

Another wonderful chapter. Every time I read a chapter I get to the end and get a little upset it ends here.

Oh Gaby.. hahaha

Sometime it is just so exiciting hilarious.

Thank you Maddy. Kudos Kudos Kudos.

Is 't it a grandmothers right ...

... trying to steer things the way she would like them to happen ?
I so do love gran's subtle hints.

Or maybe she can see what we already know?

Lucy Perkins's picture

Sorry to be romantic..it's weddings they always get me that way..I mean don't they both look lovely?? Whoops I've suddenly turned middle aged! .. but surely Gaby and Max?
Please Maddy?

Love Lucyxxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Gaby's solo

Julia Miller's picture

Gaby keeps doing these things. This solo may have a future impact on her. You never know when talent is discovered. Gaby might have a new career...