First Day at Merrimount Abbey - part one

Printer-friendly version

First Day at Merrimount Abbey

by Ceri

Could you ever dream that such a place existed?

“Trains do not wait for people Darryl,” Mother called from the foot of the stairs. Darryl stopped to admire her new school uniform in the mirror one last time before leaving. She was so glad that Merrimount Abbey’s pupils wore summer uniform until the end of Michaelmas term. No more lessons in itchy trousers like at her old school, no long stockings until Christmas term and she would never, ever have to wear that silly cap again. Darryl smoothed down her blue plaid dress, and adjusted the orange sash about her waist. Even the school colours were nicer. Outside a toot of the car’s horn told her that Father was becoming impatient.

“Don’t forget your hat and raincoat dear,” called Mother. As if Darryl could, they were much too precious. She straightened the hat with its orange band, looped the mackintosh over one arm, and dashed from the room.

“Where to ladies?” Father grinned, while Darryl and her mother took their places on the motor car’s rear seat. She would miss them both terribly she was sure, but Darryl could barely contain her excitement as they drove away. Merrimount Abbey had seemed to her the most wonderful place on Earth from the moment she had heard of the school and its very special pupils. Darryl had not been happy at her last school, or the one before that, she was called names and worse. Though it meant being away from her parents for months on end, the school in the valley promised many new friends and adventures.

“Gosh, I never dreamt there were so many girls like me,” Darryl said as Father parked their car outside the railway station. There seemed to be hundreds of girls dressed in blue and orange saying their goodbyes to family. A very few were tearful, but most were also cheerfully exchanging hellos with friends they had not seen all summer too.

“You are a little different darling,” Mother said, and gave Darryl’s arm a squeeze, “but you are not alone, even if it sometimes seemed you were. Imagine all the new friends you will make.”

Because it was the first time Darryl was to travel to Merrimount, Mother walked her to the carriage, instead of parting outside the station. She tried not to think too hard about leaving her parents behind, and reminded herself that half-term was not too far away. They passed lots of other girls on the platform, laughing excitedly and hugging each other after the long summer holiday.

“I’ll be like them next year,” Darryl thought. She looked down at her blue and orange uniform, “I already am - they just don’t know it yet!”

“What was that, darling?” Mother said. Darryl had been so excited that she had not realised she had spoken her last thought aloud, and blushed. “This is your carriage here,” Mother added, “let’s find your House Mistress.”

Miss Potts was poring over a crossword, absently reminding the black haired girl sitting opposite not to ruin her sandals by kicking the seat. She met Darryl and Mother with a smile, and invited Darryl to sit beside the girl, whose name was Felicity. “Call me Fliss,” she said, “absolutely everyone does.”

“Darryl’s safe and sound now Mrs Brooks,” Miss Potts told Mother, “it’s best if you make your goodbyes brief, it’s less upsetting for the girls.” Darryl’s mother nodded, and gave her daughter a peck on the cheek.

“Don’t forget to write Darryl, but save some stories to tell us at half-term won’t you,” and with that she left the carriage, walking briskly along the platform.

“Chin up,” said Fliss, adding quietly, “I almost blubbed when Mummy left, lucky no one was here to see.” Darryl coughed to disguise the sob that was forming; she did not want to appear a baby. It was hard to believe anyway, Fliss was so sure of herself Darryl could not imagine her crying for one instant.

“Have you been at Merrimount Abbey long?” she asked.

“Oh no, this is my first time too,”

“There will be another two new girls joining us,” Miss Potts interrupted, “so you will have plenty of time to get to know each other on the journey.” She gave the two girls a kindly smile, and Darryl felt immensely lucky to have her as House Mistress. It was only then that it dawned upon her what Fliss attending Merrimount Abbey meant.
Darryl had never met another girl like herself, and it was quite shyly that she asked, “Are you really like me?”

“I haven’t always been Felicity, if that’s what you mean?” laughed Fliss, “well, I have really, but no one knew.” Darryl nodded, she was almost giddy at having someone with whom to talk about it.

“Hello” a beautiful young woman climbed into the carriage. Darryl was surprised that she too was wearing blue and orange, surely she could not be a pupil too.

“Darryl, Felicity meet Julia,” Miss Potts said, “not only head of Chantry House, but this year Merrimount Abbey’s Head Girl.” Blushing, Julia sat down beside Miss Potts, but leaned forward to speak to Darryl and Fliss.

“Oh I wish I was a new girl,” she said, “I have to leave next summer, while you have six wonderful years still ahead of you.” Julia laughed, and looked at Miss Potts, “I remember the Head Girl saying the very same thing on my first day.”

“I certainly did,” their teacher said, “but I did not stay away for very long. Merrimount Abbey has that effect on girls, you know, and I am sure Fliss and Darryl will come to love our school as much as we do Julia.”

“Heavens, I hope she is not in our house” Felicity whispered in Darryl’s ear, and pointed out a mother and daughter on the platform. Both were in tears and clinging to each other for dear life, and to the girl dismay heading for their carriage.

“Are you Miss Potts?” sobbed the woman.

“Yes I am,” Miss Potts said, “and this is?”

“Millicent Walker, you will take good care of her won’t you?” Millicent’s mother was fussing around the girl, and ignoring everyone else in the carriage.

“That goes without saying,” Miss Potts answered shortly, “in fact it’s for the best that you make your goodbyes quickly.”

“Goodbye my baby girl,” Mrs Walker hugged Millicent close, tears streaming down both their faces, “and write the instant you get to school, for I will be sick with worry until I hear from you.” Millicent sat opposite Darryl and Fliss, weeping and chewing one of her plaited pigtails.

“I like your hair,” Darryl said, hoping it would cheer her up.

“Mummy plaits it for me,” she said, bursting into a fresh peal of sobbing

“Gosh, you’re such a sissy,” Fliss said in exasperation.

“That’s not a word we approve of in Merrimount Abbey,” chided Miss Potts, “we have all been called that by ignorant people, and there is absolutely no reason to use it amongst ourselves.” Darryl’s new friend looked crestfallen, Miss Potts had looked very stern as she spoke. Millicent however, had collected herself and Darryl thought she saw her smile triumphantly at Fliss’s ticking off.

“One more to come,” Miss Potts said, looking at her watch, “but they’ll have to hurry.” Almost as she finished speaking a blue and orange jumble bustled into the carriage. Darryl watched as the new arrival untangled herself from her luggage, and plopped down into the seat next to Fliss. “Billie Porter?” asked Miss Potts and the new arrival nodded.
Darryl had to admit that Billie was the least girlish of all of them, and the most untidy. She had bright red hair cropped very short along the back and sides, and not one part of her uniform was on straight. “Sorry I’m late Miss,” she said plopping down into the seat beside Fliss, “but I missed my bus, and had to wait for another.”

“Well you’re here now,” Miss Potts said, and introduced all the others in the carriage.

“Did your mother not know she could come onto the platform?” Fliss asked.

“Oh I came on my own,” Billie answered, which impressed everyone greatly, although Darryl wondered at what sort of mother would allow her child to go off on her own like that, especially one that looked so out of place in uniform.

*****

With a shrill whistle, and a wave of the Stationmaster’s flag, the train to Merrimount Abbey departed. What an adventure, thought Darryl, as row upon row of red brick houses slipped past the window. Leaving the town behind the track entered rolling countryside dotted with neat little farms, pretty meandering rivers, and bright patches of woodland whose trees were truning to gold.

Julia struck up a game of ‘I Spy’ among the girls, and they all played along. Darryl and Billie tried their best, but Fliss was easily the best guesser. While Millicent pretended not to interested, she pouted all the same when her guess was incorrect. Darryl noticed that Billie lost interest in their game whenever a field containing horses, or ponies, came into sight.

“Do you ride often Billie?” Darryl asked.

“Never, well not yet,” Billie said frowning, “but I imagine it must be super!”

“You will soon have the chance,” interrupted Miss Potts, “several farms around the school stable ponies, and Merrimount’s girls are always welcome.” Billie beamed, and threw herself back into the game with gusto, if little success.

On the train puffed, through towns and countryside, over bridges and running briefly in a tunnel which, Darryl was sure, was the darkest place where she had ever been. Naturally, Millicent whimpered, but no one paid her any attention and she soon stopped.

“It’s almost time for lunch,” Miss Potts said rising, “there is supposed to be a tea trolley service, I had best pop along to the buffet to make sure. In the meantime take out your packed lunches. Julia, make sure there are no mishaps.” The older girl nodded, and their teacher set off down the corridor.
Darryl did not feel at all hungry until she opened the ham sandwiches her mother had packed. She was about to tuck in when she noticed that Billie was empty handed, Julia had noticed too and asked if she felt unwell.

“I am fine thanks,” Billie answered, “I must have left my sandwiches on the bus, I was in ever so much of a tizz.”

“You can share mine if you like,” Darryl said, and held her bag open for Billie.

“Mine too,” added Julia, “Mother always packs too many sandwiches.”

“Do you like shrimp paste?” Fliss said and added her bag to the feast offered to Billie. Millicent however, remained silent, and one by one the girls turrned to look at her.

“What?” Millicent stormed, “I’m not sharing with him!” That last word shocked everyone else deeply, and it was several seconds before Julia collected herself enough to answer.

“That was horrid Millicent,” Julia said, “jolly well apologise to Billie.” Darryl was sure that if Julia ever frowned at her the way she was frowning at Millicent, she would breakdown in tears instantly, but the spoiled little girl scowled back defiantly. Surprisingly, Billie spoke next.

“Millicent’s right,” she said, “look at me, I’m not like you all. I should never have come here, it’s all a big mistake.” Tears began to trace their way across Billie’s cheeks.

“Merrimount Abbey does not make mistakes,” Miss Potts said sternly from the doorway, “only girls who want to attend the school are admitted, and only when they have passed strict tests.” Darryl shuddered at the memory of those tests, the hospital visits and endless questions from Dr Robinson.

“Sorry Miss,” Billie squeaked, “but I really don’t belong, just look at me!”

“Nonsense,” Miss Potts said, sitting in the seat besisde her, “in a few short weeks you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.” She gently patted Billie’s knee, smiling encouragingly. “Here comes the trolley, a nice cup of tea will set you right."

*****

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

this probably seems a bit strange

Enid Blyton's 'Malory Towers' books were among my favourites as a child, and I continued reading them after I abandoned her other series. In part it was because they were intended for girls, but mostly because they contained stories about children learning to be grown up, and sensible.

I've read quite a few tg stories sets in schools, but they've always been a million miles away from the school on the Cornish coast, and its pupils; so, I finally had a stab at writing my own. Modern children would probably find them quite strange, as they contain no pop culture references, Malory Towers girls worry about who makes the tennis team not who's topping the charts, and no one ever worries about the calories a midnight feast might have. :)

Famous?

I have long been planning a rewrite of a Famous Five book, as so much of what already exists could be a perfect TG series just by changing one or two characters... :)

Never read Mallory Towers, but even though I had misgivings to start with this sounds like jolly good fun. :)

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I don't have a problem with Enid Blyton

Angharad's picture

Is this the start of a serial or a one off experiment? (I had visions of the Harry Potter station departures for Hogwarts.)

Diolch yn fawr,

Angharad

PS You write 'em I'll read 'em.

Angharad

O Lord no not a serial

It's half of a short story, based on the first chapter of 'First Term at Malory Towers'... I'm a bit more honest about my borrowings than La Rowling :) I tried at the start to copy Blyton's writing style, but found its repetitiousness too wearing.

Very nice

Well, At least I know where I was getting those Harry Potter's flashbacks from. The next question is this is a historical piece then sort of kinda? I loved the beginning and had a lot of fun with the characters.

hugs!
grover

Long childhood summers

The original books were written in the late forties, but she seldom included specific historical reference, which is why I suppose her books are still in print. The attitudes of her characters though, are firmly rooted in that time, and I've tried to include what I can of them. I think that's why I never got very far with the Harry Potter novels, they have all the trappings of their prototypes, but their characters are modern in outlook.

Strangers On A Train

I, too, found the image of the Hogwarts Express popping to mind. My apology to Ms. Blyton and others who I'm sure were there first, but the added element of them all being, shall we say, something other than mundane, does help evoke something different.

It saddens me to hear that this is only a two-part short story, not that I don't positively love short stories to pieces, just that it hints of a rollicking good adventure.

Very Enid Blyton

E.B. is not difficult to parody. She is very predictable. However, on a small detail, it would not be the Stationmaster's flag, but the Guard's flag that was waved.

Only nitpicking this is very true to EB and I hope there will be more.

Another MT lover,

Gabi

Who once wrote an incomplete Famous Five parody called Five have a Highland Fling, where George actually agrees to wear a kilt! (Well, kilts are only supposed to be worn by boys!)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

deep affection

I had forgotten quite how much I loved the Malory Towers books (and to a lesser extent the Saint Clare's series), until I bought a new copy around last Christmas. It's strange really, I didn't have a great deal in common with the characters, who were all fairly posh, but a friend surprised me by confessing that he read them too, and he's a former first-class rugby prop-forward, and currently a professor of Marxian political theory in a London university.

I wanted to write something that respected how I felt about them as a child, and perhaps create something I would have enjoyed more - a place where everyone was like me, and there was no name calling. I've got way too much on my plate at present to extend it beyond the first chapter, but perhaps I'll come back to it some time.

I didn't go to boarding school ...

... but my daily train journey to my grammar school was pre-Beeching * and was hauled by a steam loco which made it possible (even likely) to get real smuts in your eye just like Celia Johnson in 'Brief Encounter'. So the fantasy of the English countryside Ceri describes in her pastiche of Enid Blyton has strange fascination for me.

My favourite Blyton stories were the 'Mystery' and 'Adventure' ones but I soon gave them up in favour of Leslie Charteris (always much better than the feeble 'Saint' TV series) and Dornford Yates. Although dad's Hank Jansen paperbacks had an attraction for a 13 year old. I was always a bit suspicious of the posh kids who were the heroes of Blyton's stories and never found them very convincing. I've never read any Mallory Towers ones.

Of course I'm expecting rather more from Ceri and I'm anticipating a little naughtiness at Merrimount Abbey :)

Geoff

* Beeching was given the job of rationalising the UK rail rail system in the late 1950s which he did by destroying most of the infrastructure, including the line I used to go to school on.

Boo Beeching

I'm planning next year's summer holiday around travelling along the 'Heart of Wales' line from Swansea to Shrewsbury. I've been 'collecting' places to photograph from friends, so will be hopping on and off the train at various stations and halts. Although its hardly the Trans-Siberian, I think I can squeeze everything into three days up and three days back.

That the line is still operating is almost a miracle, but I would have loved to start my journey in Swansea's old Victoria station, travel around Swansea Bay, and through Clyne Valley. Unfortunately Beeching saw to that branch of the line, and the train now runs a far more prosaic route to Llanelli, avoiding Gower completely.

That said I'd also have loved to ride the Mumbles Railway, but the bus cmpanies put the kibosh on that, ten years before I was born :(

I Used To Read Them

joannebarbarella's picture

E.B. stories under the blankets in bed by torchlight after my Mum had made me turn the light out. Also "Biggles" and "Just William" (by other authors, obviously). Questions of class never seemed to affect my enjoyment of these stories, even though, at some level, I knew I was working-class. In fact, I can't think of a single childrens' book of that era (late forties,early fifties) that had any working-class protagonists.
But back to Ceri's story. What a wonderful concept, and especially for that era- a school for TG boys. If only....
Hugs,
Joanne

This is simply smashing!

I say! this is simply smashing! I love the atmosphere and the wonderful collection of characters.

It's strange, but the only Enid Blyton books I ever read was Noddy, at a very early age. It wasn't until a lot later that I found out about all the other stories she wrote and I feel sad I never read any of them when I was at an age that I could appreciate them.

Anyway, back to Ceri's story - a few more chapters would be definitely welcome and jolly good fun, I'm sure!

I'll add it to the list

Currently, Stevie has just flashed her underwear at a pensioner on the bus, Candy is trying to understand what her bass player is getting at, 641 squadron is entertaining an American journalist while its two most senior officer are off gadding about in a Lagonda, and somewhere in Edwardian London a young Scots photographer is trying to infiltrate the staff of a corrupt department store.

I must learn discipline... where are HR when you need them? :)

I feel sad

I feel sad that I didn't know about all the super children's literature that existed. I was afraid of my own shadow and felt that I would have been in serious trouble if I had been caught reading anything my parents hadn't provided (censored).

This tale has all the atmosphere of the period and I was quickly transported back to those innocent days immediately post-WWII when you didn't dare talk about your feelings.

Susie

Enid Blyton unknown in the US

I don't know why. I've talked to two booksellers about it, but they couldn't explain it. At the same time, both told me they've been getting a lot of requests for her books.

My daughter LOVES her books, especially the Famous Five stories, and I read them to her almost every night.

I've been ordering the books online, and was able to find a few at the local library. Just coincidentally, I recently bought the first Malory Towers book, but we haven't started it yet.

I'm looking forward to this series.

Kaleigh

steady on old stick

It may just be that the US publishers of her work, don't know how to market a relatively unknown author who's been dead for almost forty years. Or the ineffable Britishness in much of her work, the stiff upperlippedness, and delight in simple pleasures, tmay not have translated well before. Perhaps, the obvious influence she had on J K Rowling's work, has at last made her accessible.

Yay Merrimont Abbey!

I love the introduction you've presented to this amazing school. All the characters are already feeling very well defined. I just wanted to hug poor Billie when she started crying. I also wanted to smack Millicent for being so insufferable. Not that I actually would strike her, but she definitely seems like she needs some sort of shock to break her out of her self-centered attitude. All in all, I've really enjoyed what I've read so far and look forward to what will happen in the next chapter. :)


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

Millicent Limerick

The name Millicent always reminds me of a silly Limerick:-

The bottle of perfume that Willie sent
Was highly displeasing to Millicent,
Her thanks were so cold
That they quarreled, I'm told,
Through that silly scent Willie sent Millicent.

Boom, Boom!

Gabi

PS when do we get the next one, Ceri?

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

It's on its way

I have part two plotted out, I just need to write it down. I'm trying to get Stevie's story up to her Saturday evening, in one or two parts, hopefully by my Saturday evening... then I'm free to return to 'Merrimount Abbey'... it takes a little longer to write, but hopefully it'll be ready my Monday or Tuesday :)

I agonised over Millicent's name, and took an age to settle on it.