Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 199

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 199


A fun afternoon! And six feathers.
Summer and company is coming.
I’m worried about the new class.
Was Naainish really here?


I wanted to bring the Corvette from the resort to the house, so after we’d helped Charlie and Jackie move, we headed to the resort. And this was with a side trip to Taos to see Mr. Yazzie. We’d decided that it would be a good thing to collect Navajo silver and that Mr. Yazzie’s silver would be a good start. So, along with picking up the wall hangers that he’d made for us, we picked up five bracelets that Mr. Yazzie had made.

When we were at the resort, we found out that there was another retreat this weekend. And, it was the management team from Raytheon’s Tucson facility. If you remember, the father, Mr. Parker, of the boy who died in the fire at the university is in the upper management of Raytheon in Tucson.

We’d gone with my aunt and uncle to have dinner with the people from the retreat. We met, Mr. Zabel, the head of the Raytheon operation in Tucson. And I’d asked about the Parkers and found that they were here, at the resort.

We didn’t find the Parkers among the people that were there for dinner. So, Ajie and I went looking for them, and we’d found them sitting outside of the hotel by the fire pit. Mrs. Parker had appeared to be very depressed over Tim’s death. I spent time helping her. Then we ate dinner with the Parkers, and Mr. Parker had figured out what I do for the university. He’d also learned that I’m not interested in working for Los Alamos or even Raytheon.

We'd taken the Parkers up on the cliff to watch the Sunset, then they and other’s from Raytheon learned about our meditation at the bonfire.

Ajie then had a surprise for me when she’d said that she wanted a thunderstorm.

Sunday morning Ajie and I had gone up on the cliff for the Sunrise. And we found the Parkers, and the head of Raytheon's operations in Tucson, Mr. Zabel and his wife, up there. And we had a pleasant surprise when the wolves showed up.

Before I took the Corvette back to the house, I let Uncle Paul drive it, and he had fun. When we were back home, I ran into Hosteen Tl'izilani, the son of the man that had built our house. He’s one of our neighbors and is also half-owner, with his other brother, in the company that was started by their father that builds adobe houses and building. We talked about building the hogan out behind the house and agreed to do it.

Monday it was back to classes. And, after my grad level class, I stopped in at my office to see Dr. Joe. The light was on, so I walked in. Dr. Joe looked at me and said, “So, did you have a good weekend?”

“An interesting one.”, I replied. And I went on to tell him about our weekend. Seeing the people from Raytheon at the resort. And then bringing the Corvette back to the house. And the building of the hogan. When I finished, Dr. Joe asked, “Why the hogan?”

“It’s part of the Navajo heritage. I’ll admit that it isn’t going to be a typical hogan. We've upgraded it a little.”

“I’d say more than a little.”

“Yeah, maybe. No comment on Raytheon, Dr. Joe?”

“Kai, I think helping the boy’s mother was more important to you than who her husband works for. And, I think I also know you well enough to know that there was no way that they could entice you to go to work for them.”

“You’re right, Dr. Joe. Helping her was more important.”

“So, what are you up to today?”

“Not much since we don’t have a research project right now.”

“You might want to think about that course in advanced computer design.”

“The Dean did mention that.”

“Yes, he did. And there’s been a lot of interest in the intro class that you’re teaching right now. And, I know that they want to offer it again fall quarter and maybe spring. With an advanced class in the winter and spring.”

“And, they want me to teach those?”

“Yes. They’re getting ready to print the class schedule for next year. And they want to know if you want to teach the new class so that they can put your name with it.”

“Do they still want me to teach Electric Circuits, and Electronic Circuits and Systems too?”, I asked.

“Yes.”, Dr. Joe said.

“So, it would be Electronic Circuits and Systems for three quarters, Electric Circuits for fall and winter, Introduction to Computer Design in the fall and spring, and the new advanced course in winter and spring?”

“Yes. Plus any research that comes along.”

I thought for a minute and said, “Let me think about it and talk with Amy.”

“I knew that you’d say that. So, take a little while to think about it and let me know.”

“I will. But first, we have to find a good book for the advanced course in computer design.”

“Or write one.”

“Me write a book!?”

“It’s just a thought.”

“Wouldn’t that take too long?”

“You have all summer and fall quarter.”

“But, to write it, find a publisher, and have it published in time. Would be impossible. Plus it’s not my area of expertise.”

“The university print shop could do the initial printing for our use.”

“They do that?”

“Yes. That’s how my first book got published.”

“You’ve published a book?”

“Yes, while I was working on my doctoral.”

“What was it about?”

“It was about using transistors in combination in switching circuits.”

“I didn’t know. Can I read it.”

“Kai, it’s so below your knowledge level that you’d be bored.”

“Let me decide that.”

“It was never published hardbound. We just used it in class for a couple of years.”

“Let me see it.”

Dr. Joe pulled open one of the desk drawers, took out a thin book that had a heavy paper cover on it. As he handed it to me, he said, “Be careful with it. It’s the only copy that I have.”

“Thanks. I’ll be very careful with it. Have you ever published anything else?”

“A couple of technical papers. Things like eliminating contact bounce in flip-flop circuits, and using backward diodes to detect low-current threshold.”

“I’m impressed.”, I said.

“You’re easy to impress.”, Dr. Joe said. “And I know that you could write better papers.”

“Dr. Joe. I’m nowhere near ready to do things like that.”

“You might surprise yourself.

“What are you going to do with your afternoons since we don’t have a project right now?”

“Amy and I have a free afternoon today, so I think we’re going to go visit the Eagles. Then we still have somethings to do around the house. We need to hang some pictures and wall hangings. But, I think we’ll wait on the wall hangings until Charlie can help us.”

“Don’t want to mess it up?”

“No, I don’t. We’ll be drilling holes into the adobe walls, and that I don’t want to mess up.”

“Why do you have to drill holes?”

“You put a four or five-inch piece of dowel rod into a hole drilled into the adobe and then put your screw into the dowel rod.”

“So, you don’t put the screw directly into the adobe?”

“No, it wouldn’t hold very well.”

“I can see why you don’t want to mess that up.”

“Yeah, it would leave an ugly hole in the adobe that would have to be fixed.

“Let’s get some lunch and then I’m going to head home.”

Dr. Joe and I went over to the faculty dining room and had lunch together. Then on the way home, I swung by the hardware store to see if they had the garage door opener in that I needed to finish that project, and they did. So, I picked that up.

Amy’s car was in the garage when I got there, so I knew that she was home. I took the garage door opener out of the car and set it on the floor. Then I went into the house and found Amy sitting in the big room reading. I sat down next to her and said, “Want to go for a walk?”

“Sure.”, Amy replied. “Where?”

“I thought that we’d visit the Eagles, have dinner, then drive up to the Sandia Crest and watch a sunset.”

“I like your thinking, lover.”

“I’ll go change, and we’ll go.”

Just as I got up to go and change, the doorbell rang. I looked at Amy and said, “I wonder who that is?”

“Go find out.”, Amy replied.

I frowned at her and then walked to the front door. When I opened the door, it was Hosteen Tl'izilani. And I said, “Yá’át’ééh, Hosteen.”

“Yá’át’ééh, Kai. I thought that I saw you pull in. I was home for a late lunch, and I have the paperwork on the hogan. If you have time to look at it.”

“Of course. Come one in.”

Amy, Hosteen, and I sat down and quickly went over the paperwork on the hogan that Hosteen’s company was going to build for us. When we finished, we signed the contract, and I wrote him a check for half the agreed-upon cost. As we said, hágoónee' - (see you later) to each other Hosteen told us that they might get started on it later this week if they could get the permits. And he would let us know.

I quickly changed, and less than twenty minutes later, we pulled into the Santa Ana Pueblo offices in hopes of finding Iz. Izusa “Iz” Yupanqui is the whole parks department for the Santa Ana Pueblo.

His truck was parked at the Pueblo offices, so we parked and went in. Iz’s wife, Nita, the Governor of the Pueblo was there. And she told us that Iz was out with people from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I asked, “Nita, they aren’t bothering the Eagles again are they?”

“No.”, Nita replied. “It’s something to do with illegal fishing.”

“You had me worried for a minute.”

“No, I think that they learned their lesson with your Eagles.”

“I hope so, Nita. And, they’re not my Eagles. They belong to all of us.”

“Kai, Iz and I have talked about how those Eagles act when you’re around, and we’ve figured out that they’re yours.”

“Nita, I wish they were ours. But, it’s just that they grew up with us, and we’re friends. They belong to the Great Spirit. They are His messengers.”

“You’re right, Kai. I’ll tell Iz that you were here.”

“Thanks, Nita. Next time we come to visit, we’ll call ahead and tell Iz that we’re coming.”

“He’ll love that. He enjoys seeing you, and so do I.”

I smiled and said, “We also enjoy seeing the two of you.”

Amy and I finished the drive to the parking lot for the loop trail at the reservoir. And there was no one else here.

We parked and hiked the trail to the side trail. Then we walked to where we always went to visit with the Eagles.

We stood there for a few minutes, then one of the Eaglets showed up at the edge of the nest. Amy whispered, “He sure has gotten big.”

“He has grown.”, I said. “They should be leaving the nest around the middle of June.”

“Really?”

“From what I’ve read, it’s ten to twelve weeks after they hatch.”

He looked at us for a few seconds, then let out a squawk. And it wasn’t long until his two brothers or sisters joined him. We stood there and looked at each other. Then Amy said, “I wonder where mom and dad are?”

“Maybe out finding food.”, I replied.

“Both of them?”

“Feeding those three would be a full-time job for four Eagles.”

“You’re right.”

It wasn’t much later that one of the adult Eagles flew in carrying what looked like a large rabbit. The three Eaglets left the edge of the nest and headed back into the nest. I said, “Lunch is served.”

Amy gave a little laugh and said, “That looked like a small snack for those three.”

Then we watched as the other adult Eagle flew in carrying a large fish, and Amy said, “That looks like the main course.”

“I would say so.”, I said.

One of the Eagles hopped over to the edge of the nest, looked at us, and squawked. And shortly the other Eagle joined him. And I quietly said, “It looks like you two are doing a good job of raising your young.”

One of the Eagles squawked a couple of times. Then the other one took off, circled a couple of times, and headed off somewhere. I said, “He’s probably going after dessert.”

“No doubt.”, Amy said.

As we got ready to walk back to the car, I looked at the base of the tree, and said, “Amy, look at the base of the tree.”

Amy looked and said, “Feathers?”

“I think so.”

We made our way to the base of the tree and found three flight feathers and three tail feathers. And Amy said, “Six feathers!?”

“I know.”, I said. “I could see three. One for each of the Eaglets, but I don’t understand six.”

“But there’s three of each kind. Three flight and three tail.”

“So maybe two for each Eaglet?”

“Could be. I don’t understand. But as is said, the Great Spirit works in strange ways.”

I stooped down and picked up six feathers, and they were in prime condition. As I stood, I handed the feathers to Amy. She looked at them and said, “These are six very nice feathers.”

“I thought so too.”, I said.

We walked back to the car, and I carefully placed the six feathers in the trunk for safekeeping. Then I said, “Sunset isn’t until eight tonight.”

“I know.”, Ajie said. “And it’s a little too early for dinner.”

“So, what do you want to do?”

“How about going to Santa Fe. I could use a few new blouses and maybe a skirt.”

“I could too. So, go to Mrs. Benallie’s shop and then eat in Santa Fe and be up on the Crest by eight.” (Mrs. Benallie owns the shop that carries all the locally made clothes.)

“Is that doable?”

“I don’t see why not.”

We got in the car and headed to Santa Fe, and a little less than an hour later, we were walking into Mrs. Benallie’s shop. There were a couple of customers in the shop, but she looked at us, and said, “Oh my! Kai dóó Ajie, yá’át’ééh.” - (Kai and Ajie, it is good.) I’ll be right with you.”

“Yá’át’ééh, Mrs. Benallie. Take your time.”

Ajie and I looked around, and we found some adorable things. Some blouses and skirts. Then Mrs. Benallie walked over to us and said, “Kai and Ajie, I haven’t seen you for many Moons.”

“We’re sorry.”, Mrs. Benallie. “It’s been fairly busy. We’ve even bought a house and now have a big walk-in closet to fill.”

With a big smile, Mrs. Benallie said, “I think I can help you fill that closet.”

“That’s why we came to see you.”, Ajie added.

When we left Mrs. Benallie’s shop, Ajie had four new blouses, two long fancy skirts, a new pair of moccasins, and two new pairs of earrings. I had five new blouses, two long fancy skirts, and a new pair of earrings. And we left with big hugs.

Mrs. Benallie had suggested that we try the Los Magueyes Restaurant in Santa Fe for dinner, and we did. They have a great menu of Mexican food. Ajie and I enjoyed a delicious meal.

After dinner, we headed south to the Sandia Crest. And right about seven-thirty we finished going up the switchback road to the Crest and were about five-thousand feet above Albuquerque. Our house was almost directly below us. We parked in the parking lot, and we had time to check the condition of a couple of the trails that are up here. According to the latest entries in the trail log, they were beginning to look good. No more snow and the mud was minimal.

Just before eight, we were sitting in an excellent place to watch the Sunset. We didn’t have coats with us, so we wouldn’t stay long after the Sun had gone down, as it would get cold and windy.

As we sat and watched the Sunset, we cuddled together. And it was a pretty Sunset. Lots of golds and silvers with some reds thrown in for good measure. As we watched, I said, “Dr. Joe and I talked about next school year.”

“I thought that you had something on your mind.”, Amy said.

“Yeah. They want me to teach the classes next year that I taught this year. Plus they want to offer the Intro to Computer Design both fall and spring. And they want me to put together an advanced course on computer design.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I think, even with the research, that it’s doable.”

“What about putting the new class together?”

“That’s something completely different.”

“How so?”, Amy asked.

“We’re not sure if there’s a book of the caliber that we’d want.”, I replied.

“And if there isn’t?”

“We write one.”

“Who is we?”

“Me.”

“You’ve never written a book or even a technical paper.”

“I know. I did good in my writing classes in high school and college. But, writing something like this for a two-quarter long class is something else. Plus it’s not my field of expertise. And I don’t know if I can do it.”

“I’ll help you in any way that I can.”

“I know you will. I wish that you could take shorthand.”

“I can’t, but I can type sixty-five words per minute.”

“Can you do it while someone is dictating.”

“I have, but been it’s been a while. But I can try. You’d have to slow down when you hit something technical.”

“First I’m going to the bookstore tomorrow, and hopefully I can find a book that I can use. Then, if there isn’t one, I’ll worry about writing something.”

“There’s something still bothering you.”, Am said.

“Yeah. This computer design thing is out of my comfort range. And I don’t know if I can do it.”

“I thought so. Think you should talk to someone?”

“I think I need to.”

“So do I.”

When we were back home, we carried our purchase and the Eagle feathers to our room. We hung the clothes in the walk-in closet, and it still looked empty. And I said, “Well, that made a small dent in the empty space.”

“Give it time.”, Amy said.

Then we carried the Eagle feathers into the dining room and set them on the table. And, I said, “Where do you think we should display them?”

Amy looked at them, and said, “I think we need to get all the pictures and wall hangings up, and then look at where they’d look the best. And, maybe add one to each of the headdresses.”

“Something to sleep on.”

And we put the feathers in a safe place in the office.

On Tuesday after my classes and before I went to the bookstore, I went to the library. I searched the card catalog looking for books, any books, on the design of computers. And nothing.

Then I went to the bookstore and talked to the manager. And like last time they made me a copy of the listing of all the technical books on computers. And the listing contained a summary of each book.

As I was walking out of the bookstore, the manager said, “Miss Nez. Miss Nez. Wait a minute. I forgot something.”

“What’s that?”, I asked.

“We just received an addendum to that list. Let’s see if it has anything that might interest you.”

We went back into his office, and he found the addendum. And, we looked through it and found some more technical books on computers. So, they made me copies of those pages. I thanked him and went to my office. Well, it’s Dr. Joe’s and my office.

Dr. Joe was there when I walked in, he looked at me and asked, “What’s wrong, Kai?”

“The advanced class in computer design. I don’t want to write a book. I’m not ready for that yet.”

“Have you gone to the bookstore.”

“Yeah, I’ve got a copy of all the technical books on computers. And, I’m going to start going through it.”

“Want some help?”

“Thanks. Let me go through them first and weed out the chaff. And then you can look at what I’ve picked. If anything.”

“You don’t sound confident.”

“Do you know how new this field is?”

“Of course I do.”

“I know you do.”

I sat at the work table and began going through all the books and their summaries. Some were easy to get rid of. Others I marked to reread the summary. A couple I read their summaries twice. Once I’d made it through the original list, I looked at the list from the addendum. This took a little longer because the books were not in any order. I found a couple of interest in that list.

When I made it through both lists, I sat back and looked at Dr. Joe. He looked at me and asked, “Find anything?”

“I found a few that looked interesting. But, I want to put the list away and look at them again with a fresh mind.”

“Good idea, Kai.”

I called Amy and told her that I’d be home in half an hour.

As I got up, I put the book lists in my briefcase, and said, “I’ll see you tomorrow, Dr. Joe.”

“Go home and relax.”

“That’s exactly what I’m planning on doing. Hágoónee', Azee'ííl'íní Oshie. - (See you later, Doctor Oshie.”)

“You’re going to force me to learn Navajo. Aren’t you, Kai?”

“Wouldn’t hurt.”, I said with a smile.

I walked out of the door, walked to the faculty parking lot, and twenty minutes later, I was home. I stopped and checked the mailbox and nothing.

As I walked into the house, I was greeted by a wonderful smell. Amy was fixing salmon with all the fixings. I walked to the kitchen and said, “Anything that I can help with?”

“Just set the table. And welcome home love.”, Amy said.

We chatted as I set the table, and she cooked. Then I carried the food to the table, and Amy came over carrying a pitcher and two glasses. She had made her sangria. I looked at her, smiled, and said, “Great minds.”

We had a wonderful dinner. After I cleared the table, loaded and started the dishwasher, I went out into the back courtyard and sat with Amy. She had taken the pitcher of sangria and our two glasses with her. As she handed me a glass of sangria, she asked, “Is there anything special that you want to do tonight?”

“Other than cuddling up with you in bed. No.”, I replied.

“So, how was your day?”

“It was okay. I started looking for a book for that new course.”

“Find anything?”

“I found a few that show promise. But I’m not sure.”

“I thought that you were thinking of writing something.”

“Thinking is about all I’m doing.”

“How long would you have to write it.”

“All summer and next fall quarter. But with all the company coming there would be a lot of interruptions.”

“Our parents are out here for two weeks, and they’re only going to be with us for a few days.”

“What about Bill and Bridget?”

“That’s only for a week. If they come.”

“You don’t think they will?”

“I hope they will. Plus if you’re going to do this, you’ll need a break.”

“True.”, I said.

“Our parents will be out right after school ends, and my brother, Bill, and Bridget will be in Scotland for six weeks. So they won’t be here until August.”, Amy said.

“Any bets that they come back married.”

“My mother would kill Bill if they did.”

“I’ll bet that they do. It may be a secret marriage, but they’ll be married.”

“Why there and not here?”

“All of Bridget’s friends are there.”, I said.

“But all of Bill’s friends are here.”, Amy said.

“Yeah, but doesn’t the bride run the show?”

“Well, yeah.”

“I rest my case.”

I have a nine o’clock class on Wednesday mornings, so I was on campus at eight. And I went to the office, and Dr. Joe was already there. I walked in and said, “Good morning, Dr. Joe.”

He looked at me and said, “Miss Nez, the Dean wants to see us at Noon.”

“What did I do now?”, I asked.

“Nothing. Why?”

“Well, it was Miss Nez and not Kai. And it sounded like it was a command from the Dean.”

“It is a command from the Dean.”

“What for?”

“He didn’t say. He just said that he wants to see both of us at Noon.”

“Okay. Now let’s talk about the greeting this morning.”

“What’d I do?”

“It was a terse, ‘Miss Nez. The Dean wants to see us at Noon.’”

“Sorry.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Shall we start over?”, I said. “Good morning, Dr. Joe.”

“Good morning, Kai.”

“That’s better. I’ll be back after my ten o’clock class.”

“Before you run off. Any luck on a book for the advanced computer design class?”

“I have a few possibles, but I want to read over their summaries again. Then let you read them. And then we’ll order them and see if they meet our needs.”

“And if they don’t?”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. But, Amy did volunteer to do some typing.”

“Is she any good?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“She can accurately type sixty-five words a minute.”, I replied.

“That would be a big help.”

“It will. I’ll be back at eleven.”

“I’ll be here.”

I headed to my eight o’clock class, and I beat all of my students to the room. Then after my ten o’clock grad class, I was back at the office. And Dr. Joe was there. As I walked in, Dr. Joe looked at me and said, “Hi, Kai. Want to grab a quick lunch?”

“Sounds like a plan, Dr. Joe.”, I said.

I left my briefcase in Dr. Joe’s office, and we went over to the faculty dining room. As we ate, we got talking about us building the hogan. Dr. Joe asked, “Why are you building this hogan?”

“As a traditional thing.”

“Like the Ojibwa would build a sweat lodge.”

“Could be. But, the hogan is the sacred home for the Diné - (Navajo). It’s used for ceremonies and to keep ourselves in balance.

“The couple that we bought the house from were going to build a hogan, but it never happened. We took their plans, and upgraded a few things.”

“I’ll have to see this.”, Dr. Joe said.

“You will.”, I said.

“We’d better go, or we’re going to be late.”

Dr. Joe and I walked back to the engineering building and the Dean’s office. Sara saw us and said, “Hi, Kai. Dr. Oshie.”

“Hello, Sara.”, we both said.

“Go on back to the Dean’s office. They’re waiting on you.”

As we walked to the Dean’s office, I said, “They?”

Dr. Joe said, “Who knows.”

Dr. Joe knocked on the Dean’s office door, and we heard, “Come.”

Dr. Joe opened the door for me and then followed me into the office. Along with Dean Rutherford, Detective Edwards of the University Police Department was also sitting at the small meeting table. The Dean looked at us and said, “Miss Nez. Dr. Oshie. Join us.”

As Dr. Joe and I sat, Dean Rutherford said, “I think we all know each other, so no introductions are needed.”

I said, “Hello, Detective Edwards.”

He smiled and said, “Hello, Miss Nez.”

Then the Dean said, “Detective Edwards has some news for us. Detective, the floor is yours.”

“I thought that since the two of you were directly affected by the break-in at your office that you’d like to know what we found out so far.”

“That would be nice.”, I said.

“He was a maintenance man, and his name is John Rodgers.”

I looked at the Dean, and thought, ‘That’s what Charlie had told us.’ 

Detective Edwards continued with, “He’s been arrested for petty thief before, but this was his biggest caper.

“He’d learned that they were going to install a high-security lock on your office door and figured that it might be a good place to find something worth a lot of money.

“He’d somehow gotten ahold of the order for the lock and changed the number of keys from three to four. And when the lock was delivered, he had gotten ahold of it and removed one of the keys.

“Then he waited for some time after the lock had been installed and figured that that Friday was the time to search the office. So, on that Friday, knowing that the faculty sometimes went home early, he started calling your office to see if it was unoccupied. The first few times he called, you answered the phone. And when you didn’t answer, he made his move.

“Once he was in your office he tried to open the one file cabinet, and couldn’t. So he looked for other things to steal. Then he heard noises out in the hall and bolted.

“And you know the rest.”

“So, those hangup calls were from him?”, I asked.

“I would think that they were.”, Detective Edwards said.

“And, he’ll be going to jail?”, Dean Rutherford asked.

“Yes.”, Detective Edwards said. “Because of his priors and that he picked on a high-security office. And it may even involve the U.S. Government because of what was in the office.”

“Where is that fourth key?”, I asked.

“It’s in evidence.”, Detective Edwards said.

“Dean Rutherford, may I make a suggestion.”

“Of course, Miss Nez.”, Dean Rutherford said.

“Since we no longer have control over all the keys to the office, that if we are going to maintain the security that Los Alamos wants us to, that the lock needs to be replaced. And the universities maintenance department needs to change their procedures for handling high-security locks.”

“Miss Nez, as usual, you are the logical one. I’ll see that it happens.”

Then I looked at Detective Edwards and said. “Detective, thank you for all your work.

“And if we’re finished here. I’ve got work to do.”

The Dean gave me a strange look and said, “Yes, Miss Nez, we’re finished here.”

The whole time that this meeting was going on, my mind was on this new class and a book for it. And what I’d been thinking wasn’t good.

I got up and left the Dean’s office. I was going to stop and talk with Sara, but she was at lunch. So, I just went back to the office. I sat at the work table and dug the list of books out of my briefcase, and started rereading the summaries of the books that I thought might work for the new course. After I went through them, I dropped three off of the list of ten that I’d initially picked.

As I was looking over the list, the office door opened, and Dr. Joe stuck his head in and said, “Is it safe to come in?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”, I said.

As Dr. Joe walked in, he said, “Kai, you weren’t yourself in that meeting. You were … Well, you were a little short with everyone when you left the meeting.”

“I was?”

“Yes, after you left the Dean even commented on it.”

“Oh.”

“He asked me what was bothering you?”

“It was that obvious?”

“Yes. Care to talk.”

“I guess.”

Dr. Joe walked over to his desk and said, “So, what’s bothering you?”

“I keep thinking about this new class, and I’m worried about it.”, I said. “And in that meeting it just hit me.

“I’m not ready to write a book. And writing one scares me. I’m worried that we won’t be able to find one that’s good enough. I want to have a good text, or I don’t want to do this. Computer design isn’t my field of expertise, and I don’t know if I can do it.”

“I thought that’s what it was.

“Let’s take this one step at a time. Have you picked out any books on the book list that you got from the bookstore?”

“Yes, seven.”

“Okay, let me look at the lists and see if we agree.”

I took the list over to Dr. Joe and explained how I’d marked the list. I went back over to the work table and sat. I watched as he read through the list of my choices and maybe others.

It took Dr. Joe a little while to read over the lists. Then he looked at me and said, “Kai, I think that you did a good job of picking. And, I found two others that we should look at.”

I walked over to Dr. Joe’s desk and asked, “Which ones.”

Dr. Joe pointed, and said, “This one and this one.”

“I had one of those on my original list and didn’t even consider the other.”

“I think we need to look at all nine of these.”

“Okay, I’ll make a list and take it to the bookstore.”

“Then go home and chill out.”

“That might be a good idea.”

I took the book list and went back over to the work table, and made a list of the nine books that we wanted to look at. Then I said, “I’m going to walk this over to the bookstore and have them order copies.”

“Have them see if they can get the instructor’s guides too.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Good idea.”

“And, when you’re through at the bookstore, go home.”

“Amy’s working at the hospital until seven.”

“So. You go home and relax or meditate or something. But, get away from here and clear your mind.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes, you will.”

I picked up everything and put it in my briefcase. Dr. Joe and I said, hágoónee' - (see you later) to each other. And I walked over to the bookstore.

At the bookstore, I asked to speak to the manager, and I showed him what I wanted them to order for us. He said that they should be in within the week.

Then I asked, “How often do you get the addendum to the book list?”

“About once a week.”, the manager replied. “Plus we get a new full list every six to eight weeks.”

“I’d like to look at those when they come in. If I could?”

“That wouldn’t be a problem, Miss Nez.”

“Thank you.”

Then I walked over to the ER and spoke to the triage nurse. I asked her if I could see if Amy was free for a minute. She called back into the ER, talked with someone, and then said that Amy would be right out. The waiting room was almost empty, so I took a seat where I could see the door.

A few minutes later, Amy walked out of the ER, saw me, and walked over to where I was sitting. She gave me a concerned look, sat down, and quietly asked, “Honey, what’s wrong?”

“This new course has me worried.”, I said. “Dr. Joe picked up on it, and we talked. And I think the Dean picked up on it too.”

“Are you going to be all right?”

“Yeah. Dr. Joe told me to go home and clear my head. Even meditate.”

“That might be a wonderful idea. And I’ll make dinner when I get home.”

“No, meet me at Nunzio's when you get off.”

“Okay. I’ll be there a little after seven.”

“I’ll be there.”

“You’d better be.”

Dear Great Spirit, I so want to kiss this girl right now.

Amy said, “I’ve got to get back. I’ll see you at seven.”

Later as I walked into the house, I noticed that the light on the answering machine was blinking. I rewound the tape, pressed play, and heard, “Kai and Ajie, this is Hosteen Tl'izilani. I’ve gotten the permits for the hogan. And we may get started on it tomorrow. If that’s a problem, let me know. Hágoónee'. - (see you later.)”

I thought, ‘Well that’s something positive.’

I took my briefcase to the office, and then went and changed out of my teaching clothes and into a long skirt, plain blouse, and moccasins. Then I picked up one of the rugs from the floor in our bedroom and walked out to the back courtyard through the sliding patio door.

I spread the rug out by the fire pit, then I laid a nice tipi fire and lit it. As I went to sit on the rug, I heard a noise at the back gate. I walked over, looked through the gate, and there stood Naainish. I opened the gate, looked at him, and said, “Yá’át’ééh, Naainish. - (It is good, Naainish.) What are you doing here?”

“You are troubled, Kai Nez.”, Naainish said. “I’ve come to help.”

“Why didn’t you come to the front door?”

“Your front gate is locked.”

“Sorry. Come in.”

As Naainish walked in, he said, “I see you have a fire.”

“Yes, I was going to sit and meditate.”

“That is good. I’ll join you.”

“I’ll get you a rug.”

I ran back into our bedroom and was quickly back with a rug. Naainish was already sitting on the rug that I brought out earlier.

I spread out the rug that I was carrying across the fire from where Naainish was seated. And I sat.

Naainish took something and tossed it into the fire. A puff of white smoke rose in the column of smoke. Then he started chanting. I started concentrating on the fire and what Naainish was chanting. As I closed my eyes, I felt myself relax.

When I opened my eyes, the fire had died down to coals, I felt better, and Naainish was gone. Was he really here?

I sat there for a minute or two shaking out the cobwebs.

Then I went into the house and looked at the clock, and it was almost six-thirty. I went back out to the courtyard, checked the gate to the backyard, and it was unlocked. I locked it. Maybe Naainish was here. I quickly checked the house to be sure everything was locked. And it was. And I left for Nunzio's.

It was a few minutes after seven when I pulled into Nunzio's parking lot. As I pulled in, Amy pulled in next to me. I glanced over at her, she was looking at me, and we both smiled. We got out of the cars, and Amy asked, “Are you okay?”

“I think.”, I replied. “Let’s get in line, and I’ll tell you everything after we’re inside.”

As we stood in line, we told each other about our day minus my problems. I told Amy about the meeting with Dr. Joe, the Dean, and Detective Edwards, and ordering the sample copies of the books that we were looking at for the new class. And I got all the dirt about broken arms, cuts, heart attacks, and car wrecks.

Then I told her about the telephone message from Hosteen Tl'izilani about the hogan. And she was excited.

After we’d ordered, I told Amy the real story of the meeting over the guy that had broken into my office, and me being short with everyone. Then I told her about the talk that Dr. Joe and I had.

When I told her about going home and Naainish showing up after I’d lit the fire, she wasn’t surprised. She said, “You and I both know that Naainish knows things about us.”

“I know.”, I said.

“So Naainish tossed something into the fire, and there was a cloud of white smoke, and he started chanting?”

“Yes. And the next thing I knew, he was gone, and the fire had burned down to hot coals.”

“And you felt better?”

“Much better.”

“The Great Spirit works in strange ways.”

“And so does Naainish.”

They brought our food and drinks. No wine, we were both driving.

As we ate, Amy asked, “So, what are you going to do about a book for the course?”

“I just hope that we can find something.”

“If you can’t?”

“I guess I bite the bullet and try to write something.”

“Think you can do it?”

“All I can do is try if I have to. But I don’t know. I’m uncomfortable with the idea. It’s an area that I’m not that familiar with.”

After we’d finished our pizza, I followed Amy back to the house, we both parked in the garage, and walked into the house together. Then we walked out into the back courtyard, and the fire had completely burned down to ashes. Both rugs were there. I picked them up and took them back into our bedroom. Amy followed me, and she changed out of her nurses uniform and just slipped into her robe.

Then we went to the kitchen, broke out a bottle of wine and two glasses, and went out into the courtyard. We cuddled together, watched the stars, and sipped on wine.

When the wine was gone, Amy seduced me right on the couch in the courtyard. Who needs a picnic table.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon flight-feather.jpg80.09 KB
Image icon tail-feather.jpg634.34 KB
up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting,

Monique S's picture

Naainish coming to meditate with Kai. I think she is possibly too timid in respect of that class, maybe that's why the eagles gave them the feathers?

I wish builders were still so prompt nowadays, but perhaps it is only because they are Navajo and Kai is special. I wish I was that special to the Bretons, when I need buiders.

Another nice special chapter, there aren't many stories here at the moment, that really take my interest, but the trials and tribuations are a must read still, after all this time. Well done, Teddie!

Cuddles,
Monique.

Monique S

Actually

NoraAdrienne's picture

re: service people
I called Svc Protection Plus today about my fridge. I have an appt. tomorrow between 10 and 2 for a svc call to see how to get the door to stay closed. Is that fast enough?

I can have a plumber here in

I can have a plumber here in an hour or two, but it ain't cheap.

Hi Monique,

Hi Monique,

Kai is timid about the new class because it's outside of her comfort zone. Maybe, just maybe, if there's a really good textbook she'll change her mind.

The Amish builders around here can be amazing. If someone needs a new barn, they'll hold a barn raising, and a new barn will appear as if by magic.

Thanks for the nice comment.

Cuddles,

Teddie

Amish builders

We noted that someone had bought some property on the corner near the freeway (but still way rural) a few winters ago. They started clearing it (including trees that were just laying there) in the winter. A large pole barn like structure went up amazingly fast. By the weekend of the fourth of July, Yoder's market was up. It has food, baked goods, and a deli on the left, and a bunch of wonderful Amish built furniture on the right.

Most people would take longer than that just to push the paperwork through. They had it built and stocked.

Occasionally

It's not often but my boss and I sometimes get started on projects that quickly but normally we are booked months in advance. Plus it's quite often that we have to special order the building materials and its becoming increasingly often that the 2 weeks the lumber yard says they can get something in takes longer than quoted.

EllieJo Jayne

I know. Sometimes the supply

I know. Sometimes the supply chain is slow. And sometimes you luck out and the materials are on hand.

Hogan Hero?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

If Hosteen gets it done quickly, that'd put him up there at the top of the list huh? And time-wise, it's not too far from when Hogan's Heroes was on!

For construction, it would

For construction, it would put him at the top of the list. Hogan's Heroes came on in '65 so it's been on for a while. I'm a M.A.S.H. freak. You don't want to play the trivia game with me.

Fun story

I look forward to this bit of escape every week.

----------
Jenna

No Research? Maybe a doctoral thesis?

smdani4mm's picture

Kai isn't an expert on computer design yet. But in this time period, who is? Maybe this is what she does her doctoral thesis on - And becomes an Expert.

After all by this time, Grace Hopper had been working in computers for more than 20 years. And "Adele Mildred Koss, who had worked at UNIVAC with Hopper, started work at Control Data Corporation (CDC) in 1965. There she developed algorithms for graphics, including graphic storage and retrieval." (Women in Computing - Wikipedia) "In 1965, Sister Mary Kenneth Keller became the first American woman to earn a doctorate in computer science". (Women in Computing - Wikipedia)

Amy said, "You think you need to talk to some one?" Perhaps a visit from or a visit to one of these women would be in the future?

Dani.

SmDani4

Interesting idea, Dani. I'd

Interesting idea, Dani. I'd almost forgotten about Miss Hopper and company.

Ongoing story

Robyn B's picture

Hi Teddie,

I am looking forward to seeing chapter 200 very soon.
As Monique said, the story of Kai & Ajie is a must read and I look expectantly for the next chapter every day. Yes, I do know you try and release two chapters each week. 14,000 words per week is a prodigious output. 14,000 words of quality writing is even more impressive.

I am a fan of both Hogan's Heroes and MASH. We have all of the MASH episodes on dvd. Both MASH and Hogan's Heroes are on free to air broadcast tv at the moment. The only thing that disappoints me about HH was the short production run and the demise of Bob Crane that brought the show to an end.

As always, I have google earth open in the next window, and check out all geographical breadcrumbs you leave. Even the Los Magueyes Restaurant with the red and white picket fence in Santa Fe that the girls ate lunch in.

I love your work Teddie, and you are, and always will be in my short list of preferred writers.

Dani's suggestion might lead to an interesting story line...

Robyn B
Sydney

Robyn, I think it's

Robyn, I think it's interesting that you enjoy checking things out on Google. So far there are only a few things that aren't real, i.e. the mountain cabin, but the fire tower is real.

Yes, HH was too short of a run.

"I did good in writing class"

hee hee

So... She might write a book. She'll do well, of course. But she'll have to do boatloads of research. It's past the days of some of the weirder techniques like magnetic core logic gates and wire memory (or whatever it's called.) It would be mostly core memory and ssi (small scale integration) logic gates.

It's interesting that Naainish showed up out of the blue. I'm sure that it's comforting to Kai that the Great Spirit is behind her all the way.

I've been making my best guess about the pronunciation of the various Navajo words. I should have thought of doing some google-fu a long time ago.

Yá’át’ééh https://navajowotd.com/word/yaat-eeh/

Hágoónee' https://navajowotd.com/word/hagoonee/

Thanks

Robyn B's picture

Thank you Ray for these links.

I, too, have been giving the Navajo pronunciations my best guess albeit now it seems very badly.

Robyn B
Sydney

I don't know about writing a

I don't know about writing a book in such a short time with all the research that it would take. But stranger things have happened.

I think that the Great Spirit will always be behind Kai and Ajie.

Hágoónee'

The Great Spirit

I had no religion until my late 20s and then was devout Christian for 33 years, Muslim for 8 years, and Mormon for 5 years. Since I have started reading this story, I have read everything I can find on Native American Animism, particularly on the Navajo. I am either half Cherokee, or perhaps Apache. I have looked for Navajo linkage and not found it. Apparently many of the Dine have similarities. So far Native American belief makes more sense to me than anything. It would have saved so much pain and suffering if I had known about my ancestors when young.

Lately, I find out that my X is half Nez Perce, or the Tribe just east of there. It would have been so much help to have known about my own Two Spirit nature, and had tribal support from both my and my X's people...

It has been my 'feeling' that LGBT Two Spirit is about sex, and Native American Two Spirit is about life?

A long journey.

I'm happy to see that you are continuing to search. After all, life is all about the journey, not the destination.

If you look up 'two spirit' in Wikipedia, it speaks of it as a man with a woman's spirit. By my thinking, that is still one spirit.

I agree with the assertion in this story -- literally two spirits, one male, and one female.

Not that I don't think that both happen. In fact, those who are hurting so badly that they will transition at almost any cost are likely single spirits that got the wrong body.

Someone who is literally two spirit might be able to function in either type of body, but will probably pine for the part that is missing. If such a person transitions, there might be some doubts after a few years.

Personally, I have taken a number of gender identity tests. I generally come out somewhat to the feminine side of neutral. If I had been born a girl, I probably would have been somewhat of a tomboy. I would definitely have been a nerd girl.

It's interesting looking at the various spiritual traditions.

Jesus tells us that he has other sheep that we know nothing about. It's also made plain in many parts of the Bible that God is all about love. So, if someone is of a spiritual tradition that teaches love, I am happy to call that person a brother or sister.

The trouble is that we humans tend to botch things up. We tend to try to put the infinite Maker in a box, and exclude those who don't agree with that box. That has caused most of the pain and misery in this world, and is what I consider to be one of the worst sins.

Why do I consider it to be the worst of sins? Because Jesus tells us that we are to love God, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. If we do that, we have complied with the entirety of the law.

It is not loving to burn people at the stake because they disagree with your theology. It is not loving to push gays off of buildings or punish rape victims or force conversions under the pain of death or taxation. It is not loving to treat others as lesser beings because of race or some kind of caste system.

It is not loving to reject people -- particularly family. It is not loving to insist that they conform to someone else's idea of who they should be. The parents of Leelah Alcorn have much to answer for.

Sussing it all out.

I'm more at peace now days, coming to peace with things. I was a very mild, gentle child, never gay, just gentle. The men in my life were so abusive and cruel that very early I looked at the men in my family and decided I did not want to be like them. Then I looked at my Mom and Stepsister and decided I was like them. At my age at the time there was no "Gay", just me.

Later, just before transition, the shrinks had me drugged, and counselled to be female, so that is what I did. There is no going back.

Recently, I've come to peace that they misdiagnosed me, that my PTSD was very serious, and they all but ignored it.

Having followed Teddie's story, living as a woman when I felt it and a man when I felt that would have been best. I would have needed to be in Native American culture so I could do that. The man could help have the children, and the woman could help make the home. There would be no controversy about any of it.

I was Christian a long time. I won't go back to it, though I have my own peace with God (Allah) and Jesus (Isa). I think there is room in Native American belief to accommodate it. It is not likely that I will begin attending Powwows. I don't trust that I'd get acceptance from them, though I'm told that I look Cherokee. Here in my area, many Native Americans are still inflamed with the sense of injustice at what the European Invaders did to them. It wasn't me, and I won't try to absorb their wrath.

Ya'at'eeh

Gwen

Yes

Yes. And practicing can be so much fun. ;-)

Daunting task

Jamie Lee's picture

Where would Kai begin if she had to write a book for the advance computer class? Many of the existing computers fill an entire floor, with new innovations occurring almost daily to help start shrinking the size of computers.

If Kai writes for this, by the next day it may already be outdated. And with transistors and IC chips coming onto the scene, how would she incorporate now with what has yet to be developed?

Before Kai goes completely around the bend with the new course, she needs to see what material or people are available first. Then if nothing satisfies her, sweat writing a book.

Kai is right about changing security measures with the maintenance department. Only certain people should have access to anything required for security, receiving or shipping.

Others have feelings too.

I think since Kai keeps

I think since Kai keeps current on the ICs that she sees the problems in writing such a book, If not in teaching such a subject.

Text books

0.25tspgirl's picture

In Nursing School I learned that just published textbooks are 5 years behind. And each new edition of the text is still 5 years behind. It takes about 2 years to revise and update and publish each new edition. That was in 1985. First semester we typed papers. Second semester we had a TSH Color Computer with a plug-in word processing program and a cassette tape drive hooked to a TV as a monitor. We spent more on the printer to get acceptable printed papers to hand in. By 1991 we had a Commodore with a 5 inch floppy drive and had changed out the second floppy disk for a hard drive. We also had a second computer that was an Apple clone. By 1993 we had a laptop. The pace of change in computers was so rapid that new computers were obsolete before they were built. Many leading computer and programming experts were leaving college because their classes were too obsolete to be helpful. The late 60’s and 70’s were when this rapid pace was beginning. Hope this helps!

BAK 0.25tspgirl

Everything helps. I've been

Everything helps. I've been into computers since the mid-1960s, so I'm well aware of the rapid changes at that time.