Project: Stingray Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

The Sea Goose:
“Well, it's official. The engines are beyond repair. We’re going to need to replace them.” Maanushi looks towards her husband as he stood nearby.

She had grease on her right cheek and her hands were covered in grease as well. Sweat was sliding down into her eyes from her forehead.

“There’s nothing that can be done for them?” Kupe looks at his wife as she looked up at him.

“Nope, the ship is going to need new engines, propeller shaft, and propeller. The engines are completely gone, and they don’t make these engines anymore. So, we would need to either shop around and hope we can find them or try and have new engines installed. Either way, we’re stuck on land.” Maanushi has done all she could for the engines on their old boat.

It was going to take time to raise the money they would need to build new engines. Even if they had the money, it would be a year or two before they could head back out to sea and keep exploring for the sunken Spanish vessel, they have spent the last four years looking for.

Maanushi looks around for their adopted daughter. She was concern for Leinani because she loved living on the boat and traveling the oceans. She was extremely smart as well.

“Where’s Leinani?”

She’s down at the beach collecting seashells. You know how she is when she is collecting shells and driftwood.” Kupe knew how their adopted daughter is. She was extremely smart and loved making art from seashells and driftwood.

“Hello, is anyone back there?” Kinsley comes walking into the backyard and spots Kupe and Maanushi on their old shrimping boat.

She knew they used the boat to do ocean research and search for sunken vessels. She walks down the pier towards the vessel and climbs on board. She had fun the other day with her old friend Delphine. She loved what Delphine showed her about what Stingray was capable of. She loved going underwater, after skimming along on the surface at high speeds. Delphine even let here pilot Stingray for a while.

“What brings you to us, today Kinsley?” Maanushi was curious.

“I came to see how the repairs were coming along and when you will be available?” Kinsley had another reason why she wanted to see
Maanushi and her husband.

“Well, we’re beached for now. The engines need to be replaced and we currently don’t have the money to replace them.” Kupe found it a disappointment.

“That’s too bad to hear. What would you say, if I told you that I know someone who could use a crew?”

“Oh? How much are they willing to pay?” Maanushi figures she and her family could work for them and save the money for new engines.

“Actually, you’ll still be working for NOAA, but I think you’ll love the vessel you’ll be working on. It’s one of a kind and opens up a lot of possibilities for your research.”

Kupe and Maanushi were both curious and wondering who Kinsley was talking about? Kinsley has been their friend for the past few years and was who they answered to when a job needed to be done for NOAA.

“Okay, we’re game. When do you need us?”

“Why don’t you come down to the old Coast Guard station tomorrow and meet your new crew member and boat.”

“What skills does our benefactor have?” Kupe was curious.

“She’s former Navy and was an underwater demolition expert. She also has degrees in Engineering and Mechanical engineering. Along with degrees in Oceanography and Marine Geology.”

“So, the person is a she and former Navy?” A smile appears on Kupe’s face.

“Yes, and her family builds and sells custom boats and yachts to the public.”

“Maybe, they can help us with our boat?” Maanushi wonders if she knew where they could get engines like the ones they had.

“Maybe, just be down at the coast guard station tomorrow by 10:00 A.M.”

“We will.” Kupe wanted to meet this other person and what was so unique about her vessel.

Sea-Land Marine:
Delphine looks over a custom-built boat her father bought at a police auction. The boat had been seized during a drug bust. The person who originally owned and constructed it had used it to run drugs and money from South America. Most of the gauges and engines had been removed from the vessel.

“So, what do you think, sis? Do you think you can do something with this?” Bobby looks at his sister as she looks at the boat.

“I think I can do something with it.” Delphine was thinking about some of the technology she put into Stingray and applying it to the boat.

She already knows, what modifications she was going to have to make to it. She’ll work on it where she built Stingray.

“Will it float?”

“Yeah, the hull is in tack. You're going to have to tow it over to your workshop or work on it here.” Bobby figures their father wouldn’t mind if
Delphine worked on it at the shop.

“I’ll take it back to my workshop. Oh, I have a new job.” Delphine had a big smile on her face.

“Oh? Where are you working?” Bobby was surprised his little sister got a job.

“I’m working for NOAA. A friend of mine contacted me yesterday and asked if I wanted to come and put my degree to use. So, I took her up on
the offer.”

Delphine knew Kinsley was impressed with Stingray yesterday. She liked what Stingray could do and couldn’t wait to have Delphine working for her. They didn’t have any subs and had to rely on others.

“So, when do you start?” Bobby wonders how often his sister was going to be gone.

“Tomorrow. I’m supposed to meet the others who will be working with me.”

“Well, congratulations.”

“Thanks. Go ahead and place the boat in the water, and I’ll come back to pick it up.”

“Okay.”

Delphine heads towards her motorcycle and heads back home.

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm waiting

Samantha Heart's picture

For thing to work out for Delphine or the government to take posion of stingray mainly the military. They would LOVE to have a sub like this & have it armed with torpedoes & mines or other arriment.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Cool chapter.

WillowD's picture

I look forward to when they go on their first underwater ride together.