The Big Wait

Printer-friendly version
The Big Wait
By Melanie E.

It's been two and a half years.

-----

It had been two and a half years since the last time Addie had left her house.

Two and a half years of fear.

Two and a half years of hiding in the closet, terrified to step out and face a world that was increasingly hostile.

Two and a half years of loneliness.

Two and a half years too long.

At first she had made excuses to stay in. It was too hot out, or too cold out, or she was too sick. She was too busy with work. She was too tired.

Eventually, even making the excuses was too much effort, and instead of justifying it at all she simply sat there, dejected and depressed.

Something was different that morning though. Whether it was the gentle tap of the rain that had been falling for two days finally breaking, or the sound of the birds outside, or the first glimmers of sunlight on the wet grass in her yard, something inside her told her, screamed at her, that it was time.

It was time, and there was no denying it.

With a firm set to her jaw Addie went about getting ready.

A shower gave her smooth skin. Her hair dryer, after burning off the smell of dust, gave her a very different style from her normal low ponytail.

A look through her makeup bag turned up powder foundation, mascara, and lip gloss, all salvageable despite their long wait, and her favorite eyeliner pencil.

From her closet she plucked an outfit that was forgiving, but still pretty. She wasn’t in the best of shape any more, but she was determined not to let that stop her, and to change it, like her outlook, as soon as possible. Thankfully she had no issues with her shoes, the flats she had chosen to go with her dress slipping on like the old friends they were.

She grabbed her favorite clutch purse, still with the same essentials it had been filled with when last she used it, and added her wallet. All that was left to grab was her jacket.

That is when she finally paused.

There was her jacket in the closet, a long green peacoat-esque thing she had bought because she had always thought peacoats were cute.

There, next to it, was his, a heavy leather trenchcoat, and the hat that he had always worn to go with it.

The panic was quick and sharp as her eyes turned from one to the other, unsure.

Unsure, that is, until the chirping of the birds outside, and the gentle patter of the water dripping from the roof, reminded her that beyond her door were green grass, blue skies, and an entire world that would feel and smell just as renewed as she was.

With a smile she closed the door to the closet, taking neither, and instead opened the door to her home and stepped out.

It had been two and a half years… but at last, Addie was back.

End.

Yep, that's right, two and a half years since the last piece of fiction I posted here! Wow! Anyway, I hope people enjoy this little 500 word bit of stuff. Here's hoping I can get back in the swing of posting more regularly again.

Also: buy my book! It's on smashwords! It has scary stuff!
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/975217

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I somehow missed this one

thanks to random solos, I found it today, and loved it.

DogSig.png