“A Change Will Do You Good” Chapter 9 “The First Cut is the Deepest”

Printer-friendly version

The First Cut is the Deepest

We walked back to the Condo with Ally and Serena walking behind us. Ally found a t-shirt sale and was able to convince the clerk to giver her one at half the half price, or something to that effect. Serena walked out with new sandals for herself and Sia. Skye held onto my hand while wearing the skirt and bracelet. I carried the bag with her other clothes. We talked a bit about how we were going to spend the remainder of the week with me stressing that she could stay with us if she wanted to. I mean, we had an extra room, so I didn’t see the issue.
“I’m pretty sure your parents would see an issue.”
“Then we can reverse the lock on my door, so I can’t get out.”
“What if they don’t trust me? I don’t think I trust me.”
“Then both locks will be turned around.”
“Always thinking ahead, huh?”
“A bit.”
“Don’t you have a book to write?”
“Yep,” I replied as I looked back at Serena and Ally—they were talking about something but I admit I wasn’t listening.
“You should work on it.”
“I will, but only if I know you’ll be okay at your place.”
“I’m fine. I mean, they hate me, but I’m fine. No one’s tried to waterboard me. Yet.”
“Just stay with me, I mean us, the family.”
“I don’t want to cause a problem and I will. I kind of invite it.”
“You don’t.”
“We’ll see,” she replied and bit her lip.
I made my mind up at that point that my family would rescue her from her situation—at least for the week. I would go to her condo and we would talk about the situation with her grandparents. If they refused then I would say that since Skye was over eighteen it wouldn’t really matter what they said if she wanted to leave. I would be there for her.
We walked into the condo and Skye called into the darkness. “Hello?”
“Did they go out somewhere?”
“Probably. They’re following their schedule of seeing everything they can. They may be on a dolphin cruise or went to Pensacola.”
“And Katie?”
Skye walked to the balcony and opened the curtains. The sun lit up the darkened room. “Probably down there. Maybe we should be too.”
“Yeah,” I replied as I took a step back into the kitchen.
“Unless you don’t want to.”
“What do you want?”
“I’m afraid to tell you.”

I wanted to think I knew to do. One would think, by the tone and context of my books that I knew all of the signs and signals. That I could determine what was needed at that moment. I write about characters who just clicked together and everything came together like perfection.
The main character always knew what to say.
The girl understood he was flawed though.
I had no idea what I was doing at that point.
I wasn’t sure if Skye knew either,
I walked a step closer and took her hands into mine.
“If you want, I will be just as happy standing like this in front of you.”
“I want you closer,” she replied.
I froze up as I didn’t really know what that meant.
Skylar leaned in and put her head on my chest.
“Can we stay like this forever?” I asked.
“I’d love that,” she replied.
I let go of her hands and wrapped them around her.
Skylar looked up at my face and I did what I wanted to do the first time I saw her: I kissed her lightly on the lips and she returned the kiss..

She pulled away from me.
“We should stop.”
“Why?”
“Because, I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen,” she replied as she turned the lights on. “Just a feeling that I get at times.”
I nodded as I walked to the other side of the room towards the balcony. A part of me felt hurt, not at her, but more at myself. I had pushed too much and at that moment, I so wanted to open the balcony door and jump from the railings.
I turned back to the main door as the lock clicked and Kate walked in.
“What are you doing here? She asked with a lot of disdain in her voice. Like I had drowned her kitten or something.
“He’s with me, Katie.” Skylar said as she stepped closer to me, but still kept her eyes on her sister.
“I can see that, Stephen.”
Skylar’s eyes narrowed further. I wanted to think that maybe Katie was just like any other sibling would treat their sister. I mean, I would get into arguments with Serena but it never came to complete belittling.
“Where did you get that?” Katie asked as she pointed at her sister.
“I bought it,” I replied.
It was my turn to feel the Katie death stare. “The bracelet too?”
“Yes.”
“Why? I mean that’s just disgusting.” She replied with venom.
“I am right here, Katie.”
“Yes, I know. Grandma and Grandpa will be here in a few minutes. You need to go change. And you,” she said as she pointed a scolding finger my way. “You need to leave.”
“No, he doesn’t. And I’m not changing out of this. For one, I think you’ll take it rip it to spreads or something.”
“Maybe.”
“And two. It’s time I tell them anyway.”
“Fine, let Grandpa have a heart attack and then, as he’s’ dying, grandma will cry her eyes out and look at you, saying that you did it.”
“Grandpa still does CrossFit!” Skylar yelled.
“Maybe not for long.”
Skylar rolled her eyes at Katie and pushed me back a little bit; placing herself between us.
“Anyway, you, writer boy, leave.”
“He’s not going anywhere,” Skylar grabbed onto my hand and laid it on her abdomen.
Katie’s expression was a mix of shock, awe, and utter annoyance. Not only had I killed her kitten, but I must have slammed it against the wall, beaten it to a pulp, revived it and then killed it again.
“Your funeral. Both of yours. Maybe your arrest, and your start to a long road of conversion therapy.”
“Why?” I asked.
“Why what?”
“Why are you such a bitch?”

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Relationships.

The best theme to this story is the description of the growing relationship based on genuine caring and the excellent dialogue that carries the story-line along. Thank you for the pleasure this story brings,

Beverly. (The crazy ol' bitch.)

bev_1.jpg