Babs' New Year's Resolution 14

Printer-friendly version


Bab’s New year’s Resolution 14.

Barbara. Chief Protagonist AKA Bab’s.

Lola. (Seventeen) Transgendered girl rescued by Bab’s from an attempted murder.

Olivia. (Fifteen) Barbara’s second adopted daughter: Black lesbian girl fostered out of care then adopted. (With Olivia’s consent!)

Joyce Banks. Bristol Social worker.

Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to -

Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.

They are a married couple who own a narrow-boat on the canal. Friends of Lola

Mickey Talbot (Twelve) Aaron and Shirley’s oldest child.

Jessica Talbot (Eleven) Aaron & Shirley’s middle child.

Bianca Talbot (Nine) Aaron & Shirley’s Youngest child.

Billy Medical colleague of Aaron’s – he also owns a narrow boat in Bristol.

Sandra Her parents also own another Narrowboat in Gloucester.

Jackie Sandra’s friend (a bit headstrong and ‘adventurous’)

Julie Third member of the threesome, (more level-headed and sensible than Jackie).

Jason. (Black) London Gang member deals in drugs at the children’s homes

Tyrone (Black) Also a gang member, friend of Jason. Also a dealer.

Tyson (White) Also a gang member into drugs and trafficking young girls.

Angela (Angie), Olivia’s trafficked, drug-addicted friend (Rape-gang Victim and important witness)

Sergeant Davis, (Bridie) female police bodyguard for Angela.

Detective Sergeant Davies. (Brian) Bridie’s twin brother.

Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.

Erica. Another girl victim thought to have been killed by the gang.

Chapter 14

With Erica now gripping Olivia’s hand and pressing it against her cheek, Olivia was at a loss as to how to proceed.

She was convinced that any sort of reaching out to cuddle Erica and thereby increasing the intimacy - or worse, invading Erica’s defensive aura, would cause harm. She looked across at Angie and whispered nervously.

“Where you like this Ange? You know, when they first found you?”

Angela was obviously too distraught to reply coherently. She just continued stroking Erica’s other hand until Olivia tried to intimate by sign that Angela might try bringing Erica’s hand to her lips or the other cheek. At first Angela did not understand until Oliva, in desperation to go forward, cautiously leaned over and kissed Erica’s hand even as their entwined fingers remained pressed against Erica’s cheek. Angela grasped Olivia’s meaning and after canting her head inquisitively towards the nurse, she cautiously followed suite. Within moments, both Olivia and Angela were grazing Erica’s cheeks and fingers with their lips.

Erica let out an uncertain whimper and both girls nervously endeavoured to pull back but to their surprise - and delight, Erica determinedly gripped their hands and continued pressing them against her cheeks.

The nurse and Bridie exchanged delighted smiles while Brian nodded cautiously on the periphery of the group. He knew to stay outside Erica’s comfort zone, for he was a man and it was almost certainly men that had so damaged Erica’s psyche.

Eventually, Olivia’s neck and back began to ache with leaning across and stretching to reassure her friend. She let out a nervous sigh and carefully disentangled her fingers from Erica’s.

“I’m getting stiff Babes; I have to sit back.”

Erica eventually relaxed her grip and Olivia released a soft gasp.

“Thanks Babe’s.” Olivia croaked for the emotion was overwhelming her.

She went to stand but Erica whimpered again.

“Stay!”

“We’re not leaving you Babes, neither of us.” Olivia assured her.

“D ’you want to come with us?” Angela asked as she slowly started to also unlock their fingers.

“Where?”

“To my clinic, my hospital.” Angie advised her then added. “They’re really nice and Kind. I’m staying there. We’ll be together.”

Neither Olivia nor Angie were certain if Erica was registering stuff and they looked to Bridie for answers. Bridie recognised their fears and replied.

“It’s too soon to say girls but we’re arranging even now to place her with you Angela. We’re hoping that you and Olivia can help build her confidence and perhaps find anything out.”

“How long before she’s back with us?” Olivia asked the nurse.

“We can’t be sure yet. Sorry that’s the best answer I can give. I’m hoping it’s a matter of months up to when she’s fully cognoscente.”

“Can you give her some methadone now?” Angela asked, “It helped me.”

“When the doctor returns with the blood tests.” The nurse reassured her. They’ve got different treatments for heroin or opium, or even cocaine. We have to be certain.”

Even as they spoke, Erica started to shake and squirm alarmingly as she franticly scratched and rubbed her skin. With that, she slumped back onto the settee and started to squirm and moan but the squirming soon erupted into convulsions and the moaning escalated into screams of pain as she alternately hugged then thumped her abdomen in a desperate attempt to relieve the cramps.

Olivia let out a wail of despair for she felt helpless to do anything but Angela could understand and empathise with her crippled friend' She dropped on the settee and quickly smothered Erica by wrapping her arms around Erica’s waist and feverishly massaging Erica’s stomach. As she worked her hands against Erica’s abdomen she looked up beseechingly to Olivia.

“Help me. Try and hug her.”

Olivia hesitated for the briefest moment as she watched Erica still convulsing and thrashing in pain, then she realised Angela was actually being hurt inadvertently by Erica’s flailing arms. She flopped down on the settee again and cautiously inveigled her arms under and then around Erica’s arms.

Despite her effort to be gentle, Olivia found she was compelled to resist the arm-flailing with an unexpected degree of force. It was a force that simultaneously caused her guilt and regret as she clenched her jaw and strained with every sinew to stop Erica from injuring herself, or Olivia and Angela.

For fully ten minutes the two friends struggled to restrain their demented friend while the adults were fearful to intervene because of Erica’s embedded sense of paranoia about contact with strangers. Then, to everybody’s relief the doctor returned with the blood test confirming Erica’s Heroine and Opium addiction.

In his other hand he held a syringe containing a suitable dose of the correct medicine. As he prepared the injection Olivia was forced to admit to everybody assembled.

“I’m not sure I can hold her still; you’re gonna’ have to help me. I’m sorry.”

“With that both Brian and Inspector John pitched in with their strength while Bridie reassured the girls.”

“You’ve done wonders, both of you. Now you know what it takes.”

With that, the doctor completed the injection and Erica started to relax as Olivia and Angela ruefully rubbed their bruised arms and scratched hands. Both girls were panting heavily after such strenuous efforts.

With calm restored, the remaining immigration and medical formalities were completed and Olivia found herself being driven with both Angela and Erica in a police minibus to Birmingham.
As Brian drove, Inspector John sat in the front passenger seat that was divided off from the rear section so that he and Brian were invisible to Angela.
Bridie sat with the girls and the nurse in the comfortable high-backed rear seats. The mood was sombre but simultaneously relieved and Bridie began to feel some hope. To lighten the mood she suggested a stop at a Mac Donald’s café en route and everybody was relieved when Erica ate some chicken nuggets and fries then, more importantly, kept them down and didn’t vomit.

At midnight, they arrived at the Birmingham hospital unit exhausted but in better frames of minds.

“Right girls,” Bridie declared, “bed I think.”

There were no objections.

ooo000ooo

In the morning, Olivia awoke confused at first before she remembered where she was. She tip-toed out of her room to slip into the little kitchen while still wearing the hospital supplied nightwear. She had hoped to make herself a private mug of coffee but instead, she bumped unexpectedly into Bridie and the nurse who were sipping coffee around the little kitchen table with Brian and Inspector John.

“Morning,” she offered blearily as she poured herself a mug and loaded it with sugar.

A chorus of subdued ‘mornings’ met her greeting as she took her seat and picked a couple of biscuits off the plate.

“So, what happens now?” Olivia asked.

“The long haul starts.” Bridie explained. “We start getting Erica clean.”

“Where are they now?” Olivia asked, “both of them that is.”

Brian nodded towards the door.

“Well Angela’s here. Morning young lady.”

Olivia span around and squeaked with delight. Her early appearance meant Angie had not been locked in her room overnight, - and that meant she was ‘clean’. Olivia erupted with joy from her chair and hugged Angie even as her friend tried to make mug of tea,

“Your door wasn’t locked!” Olivia grinned with delight. “So they’re trusting you now.”

Angela grinned back as she leant against the work-top and savoured her tea before asking.

“Where’s Erica?”

“Probably still fast asleep,” the nurse explained.

“We gave her a good dose last night to give her a break. Ah, here’s the ward sister now.”

Everyone turned expectantly as the ward sister entered and declared.

“She’s still knocked out. When she comes round, we’ll be running more tests.”

Olivia sighed hopefully.

“I suppose I'll be going back home later. Can I see her before I go?”

The sister nodded affably.

“She’s not a prisoner. You can come and see her now if you want, but she’s zonked. Angela will explain.”

“Yeah, apparently when I first came, I was fed on a drip and totally unconscious for a couple of days. It’s the best way to get over the first few days of withdrawal, especially the stomach cramps and stuff. Believe me Ollie, the stomach cramps really hurt!” She reflected.

Olivia squeezed her friend and nodded.

“I still want to see her again, before I go home.”

Angela thrust her bum away from the work surface and took Olivia by the hand as the sister led them to Erica’s room. The bunch of keys rattled noisily and Olivia thought they were so loud they would have woken Erica but when she finally reached Erica’s bed she realised the reality.

Erica lay a still as a corpse with the drip feeding her arm.

“It’s the best place to be Ollie,” Angela assured her. “She’s totally out of it.”

Olivia bent down and kissed Erica’s forehead before thanking the sister and reluctantly returning to the kitchen. Angela copied her. There was nothing either of them could do until the bruised and emaciated Erica was conscious again. When the girls returned to the kitchen, Brian and Inspector John were preparing to leave while the Médecins Sans Frontières nurse was writing up her journal and medical notes.

She looked up and smiled at the pair.

“Well, a successful outcome for once. Back to London for a couple of weeks break with my mum and dad, then to Paris and the middle east again for me.”

“You must have an interesting life.” Olivia opined.

The nurse wagged her head.

“Not really. I was homeward bound anyway that’s why I ended up escorting her home. Most of my work is in war zones treating malnutrition, rape and abortions, same old, same old, - not pleasant.”

Angela shuddered and reached for the kettle to make another mug of tea. It was a deflection move to try and rid her head of the images that the nurses' remarks had conjured up.

“Yes. I’ll have another thank you,” the nurse asked as she recognised Angela’s endeavour, and thus by responding, she gave value and purpose to Angela’s unwitting tactic.

Olivia being inexperienced, did not react so the nurse reinforced some inclusivity by adding.

“And Olivia would like coffee.”

“Wha-! Oh. Yes. Strong and sweet please.”

They were sitting around the kitchen table discussing the nurse’s work when Bridie eventually returned from attending a meeting with the clinic staff, her brother and Inspector John. She was smiling.

“I’ve been chatting to the sister and the doctors.”

Both girls fell expectantly silent.

“And?” Olivia pressed.

“It seems you should be fit for release in a week or two Angela.”

Angela’s expression clouded with uncertainty as she wondered.

“And then what? Where will I go?”

She missed the briefest of knowing glances between Bridie and Olivia as Bridie replied non-commitedly.

“You’ll be moved to a safe house. You have to be kept safe until the trial and that could take months or years.”

“Will I be able to see Olivia or even Erica.”

“Uhm, that remains to be seen darling. I hope you will but it’s essential that your and Olivia’s locations are kept secret. Your safety is of the most paramount importance. That, and keeping you clean of drugs.”

Angela fell silent as she wondered if she would ever be free of the addiction blight that had so destroyed her life.

Olivia fell silent for she desperately waited for the day when she, and Lola and Bab’s could surprise her with the delightful prospect of accepting her into their home and Olivia’s bed. It pained her desperately to see her friend Angie so fearful of her future.

It was a very distraught Olivia who bid her friend Angie farewell before slipping on the burkah and sneaking out of the hospital in an unmarked van.

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Long Way Back

joannebarbarella's picture

It seems to be a given in this story that the addicted girls will recover. It's not that simple. One addict that I knew of second-hand because his mother was/is a friend of mine thought she had him rehabilitated three times and each time he slid back into dependency. It was not until he himself really wanted to get away from his habit that he finally got clean. Think of giving up smoking or drinking times a hundred.

Hi again Babs.

To my mind, the chances of a successful cure are often related to the way the victims to the drugs ecome addicted. If they become addicted by way of social activity and lieasure they often find themselves falling back when they are re-exposed to the drug in later societal scenarios. This is because they associate the drugs with pleasure, relaxation and conviviality.

If the victim is forced to become addicted for the abuser's purposes (usually enforced prostitution or slavery) then often, when the addict escapes the abuse they are highly motivated to escape the addiction.

bev_1.jpg

I hope the gangs

Don't twig to where they are. That would be very bad.