Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *4*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 4*
Extra, Extra

 
The Hymer was pretty quiet on the drive back to Dernau, Dad had RadioNRW playing up front, Mand was fiddling with her phone on one seat, me doing the same on the other.
Beep.

I opened the message folder, Ron? Only just left her.

‘M w GF y2d
R’

It took me a minute to decipher the text speak, ‘Mand with girlfriend yesterday’, girlfriend? Oh well, maybe she dressed up because of the cinema. I typed a quick reply and hit send. I guess that's one mystery solved but not why she’s acting off, no that's still, well, a mystery.

I scrolled through the other messages, M. Davis? Best have a look I guess.

‘Hi Gaby hrd u guys r in gb nxt wk, hp 2 c u tn, Mary’

Mary, Mary? Ah, that girl from the York thing.

‘Hi yes, rdale3d G’
 

"Mand,” Dad called after us as we carted stuff up into the garage.
"Uh huh?”

I kept walking but stopped just out of sight to try to listen in. I missed a bit but Dad was still talking,
“...Caroline’s going to take you down to Croydon next week. You come back with BC at the end of the week, if that’s what you want.”
"Thanks, guess I'd best give ‘em a call then.”

She didn’t sound particularly happy about the arrangement but who can tell with her today? I shuffled over to the laundry room, I mean, if she wants me to know she’ll tell me right? And like I don’t want to admit to eavesdropping, it’s not like I'm a gossip or anything.

 

"Aaa-argh!” I yawned with an arm wrenching stretch. Yesterdays cramp just a memory, I slept like a log – well after I spent an hour making up various stories that’d explain Mand’s sort of secret trip home.
"You’re up early,” Jules mentioned between her very English toast and jam breakfast.
“Lot to do,” I checked the teapot, hmm still warm.
"Jules, you seen my,” Mand hesitated on seeing me, "Oh it’s you.”
"What you lost, Mand?” Jules oblivious enquired.
"My er Handy.”
"Not seen it,” Jules replied continuing to chomp toast and read the paper.
"You could ring it,” I suggested.
Ignoring me Mand went on, "It’s probably upstairs.”
"We need to go in like five,” Jules called after her, "You two fallen out or something?”
"Or something I guess. Did you know she’s going home next week?”
"She did mention something the other day.”
A clatter on the stairs announced de Vreen’s return, "Found it.”
"We’d best get then,” Jules suggested, “later, Sis.”
"Yeah, later, Mand.”

 

Dad came down a few minutes later.

"Morning, Dad.”
"Morning, spud, can tell your sister’s home,” he advised putting his copy of Berliner Zeitung back together.
"Tea?”
"Please, I suppose you want a lift?”
"You don’t have to, I could ride.”
"You’ll have to make your own way back, I've got some stuff to sort out for this BC thing. So are you going to tell me what’s going on with you and Amanda?”
"Nothing as far as I know.”
"You know she’s going back to her parents after Ryedale?”
I tried to sound surprised, "No, why?”
"Didn’t say, thought you might know.”
"No, I mean she was okay Saturday but she seemed to have a chip on her shoulder at the race.”
"Hmm.”

 

"You won then,” Con suggested when she arrived at the Kiosk.
"How’d you know?”
"Well dur, you always sing the same tune?”
I hadn’t even realised I was singing, "Er what is it?”
"That funny song from The Queen, Der Radrennen.”

I had to think about that for a moment, der, “Bicycle Race.”

"That’s what I said, you sing it to yourself every time you win. So no crashes or other excitement this week?”
"Nope, well I had a bit of cramp,” I allowed.
"It’s never dull with you eh?”
"So Nen all set for the weekend?” I asked to change the subject.
"I think so,” Con allowed, “guess we’ll find out, eh?”
"I guess.”

 

We’re doing without Kristin today and tomorrow so she can work the weekend, as a result it felt pretty busy. The regulars come by rain or shine, it’s the tourist trade that's a bit more fickle and although dry so far, today's forecast is decidedly wet later.

"So Max coming for lunch today?” Con enquired in a gap between customers.
"No idea, not spoken to him since Friday.”
"Pah! You guys are so, so...”
"Not a couple?”
"Don’t start that again.”
"Well it’s true.”
"So anyway, I saw P yesterday, she said to tell you she won’t be at cheering tonight, family dinner or some such.”
“’Kay, we still working Wednesday?”
"At the Stube? Far as I know.”

Well that’ll sub my kiosk wages a bit at least.

 

"You want food?”
"Could do,” Max allowed.
"Pie or schnitzel?”
"Er pie please, you alright, Gabs?”
"Just busy, no Kris today.”
"So erm, your Dad say anything about Thursday?”
"Nope,” I supplied as I shovelled a pile of Frites onto the plate next to today’s pie, a fairly plain beef and onion example of the pie makers art.
"He came round to ours on Saturday.”
"He never said, what for?”
"I got a right grilling, he thought you were experimenting.”
"Experimenting?”
"Drugs, dimbo.”
"Drugs!” I nearly dropped the plate, "Why’d he think that?”
"You did look out of things when he picked us up.”
"I'd just,” I started to squeal.
"Shush, keep it down, Gab.”
"That idiot Ralf had just spiked my drink,” I went on in lowered tones.
"I know that, but your dad doesn’t, didn’t.”
"What do you mean, didn’t?”
"I er told them about Ralf.”
"What’d you do that for, we agreed.”
"I had to tell them, Gab, your dad was talking about sending you away and all sorts.”
"And spilling the beans cleared you.”
"It sort of cleared you too.”
"Sort of?”
"I think your dad still has doubts,” Max opined.
"I suppose it could be worse,” I sighed.
"Hasn’t he said anything at all?”
"Nope, here, you’d best eat this before it gets cold.”
"Er right.”

 

"What was that all about?” Con queried after Max had departed.
"Fall out from Thursday.”
"Sounded a bit serious,” she probed.
"Over protective father syndrome, Dad went up to Max’s to warn him off taking me to the ‘Rose. It’s not like it’s somewhere I want to go is it?”
"Depends who’s there I guess.”
"Or not.”
"Or not,” she agreed.

 

"I'm home!” I called out when I got home.
The Hymer is outside so I guess Dad’s using Mum’s A but Mand should be home by now.
"Mand! Jules!”

Silence was the loud reply, oh well.

 

"Only you?” Dad queried when I went out to meet him at the car.

He rang earlier to say he’d been held up so he’s not been indoors yet.

"Pia’s got some family thing and I've not seen Mand.”
"Hop in then.”

I clambered in and we set off for the Tanzklub.

 

"So what’s with the long face?” Hannah enquired as we waited for the girls to do their stretches.
"Eventful week.”
"Hardly news where you’re concerned,” she mentioned.
"Well more eventful than usual then.”
“Like?”
"Where do you want to start?”
"Highlights?” she suggested.
"Had a date with Max on Thursday which my Dad gatecrashed.”
"That it?”
"Oh that was just the topping, the ‘date’ was at the Goldene Rose, some arsehole spiked my drink.”
"Yowch.”
"One of Max’s mates,” I added.
"Double yowch.”
"You’re telling me; Dad thinks I'm on drugs, Mand’s going back to England, nothing’s going right, Han.”

Before I realised it I was sobbing into her shoulder, making a right exhibition of myself.

 
Maddy Bell © 18.04.17

up
237 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So

Manda is upset about going home to see her parents? Well she did say that she doesn't get along with them to well. Max spilled the beans on Ralf, but Dad is still suspicious of Gaby. It's going to be torture waiting till Wednesday's update, hehe.

Can't keep some things quiet, Gabs.

Podracer's picture

They only fester :( You'll see, better in the end without the hiding and secrecy. That goes for Mand too.

"Reach for the sun."

Should have told Dave

Jamie Lee's picture

Having a drink spiked is no little thing, Gaby should have told her dad about it. Because she's legally an adult, Gaby doesn't think she has to report to Dave and gets upset when he breaks up her 'fun'.

Gaby is sixteen, hardly old enough to have a lot of serious life experiences. Dave on the other hand, has had serious life experiences and knows how unsafe some places can be. Plus, Gaby is his daughter and that right there is enough for him to be protective of Gaby. Gaby though, can't understand why her dad spoils the 'fun' she gets into. She'll never fully understand unless she becomes a mother.

Others have feelings too.