Castle The Series - 0022 Haws and Whores

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00002040

RELIGION - HAWS AND WHORES

LUNCH AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER - MYLAR (28)

Word Usage Key is at End

29th of Towin Day 2

As Yew and Thomas were sitting down to eat lunch Hazel asked, “Good forenoon?”

“Yes and no,” replied Thomas, “and you?”

“The same,” replied Rowan.

Thomas explained the current proposed procedure, and the conversation continued throughout lunch as to the findings of the forenoon. Most of the spaeking(1) was done by Thomas and Hazel, but Yew related to the women the discovery of the biggest liar breathing and asked if the women had come across any comparable. “Not at all,” replied Hazel. “Our biggest problem is deeply distresst(2) women who have left children and lovt(3) ones behind. We feel it imperative to have them personally placet,(4) craft placement is of minor significance and if need be can wait. The only inconsistencies we did find were trivial, and all in the group of eight women that remaint(5) in the Gather tent after your address, Thomas, which appear to be as a result of their inability to express themselfs,(6) rather than deliberate prevarication or an attempt to deceive. You sayt(7) you bethinkt(8) you they were not too bright. You were right, but it’s a riandet.(9) Basil and Milligan are pleast(10) to take them, and they’ll have all their widowert(11) staff lining up for them. We bethink us we can deal with a few of the pregnant, and some of the more active elders, thisday(12) too. No other problems though. Did you find aught else to cause concern?”

“We’re not sure,” said Thomas, “but we bethink us we’ve a religious fanatic on our hands. What the interviews and notes tell us seem to match what the archives tell us. I’ll take no chances and make Will aware of our concerns. Spaeking of whom, has any seen aught of him since early this forenoon?” None had, or of the Master at arms staff he was assisting, but they weren’t concerned, the huntsman would contact them as soon as he could.

They were all familiar with the archives, and they understood in principle the dangers religious fanatics posed. Centuries old archives existed which referred to to an incursion of Puritans who had refused to accept the Way. They had been left alone, and none of the three hundred and fifty-eight of them had survived more than three days once the gifts of food had run out. Castle had taken them all, women, men and children. They were confident if this man were a problem, Castle and Will would be able to deal with him if need be.

They decided to conduct the potential placement meetings of both women and men in some of the old infirmary chambers which were reasonably warm because they were alongside the Greathall. The Greathall was in use every day for a host of uses, with climbing ropes, swings and a wide selection of equipment and activities for children to use up energy on including dancing practice, and parents were especially glad of it during the winter when children could not go outside. It was also uest(13) every eve for dancing, a popular pastime especially with the older children, wrestling which was popular with boys and which, or more belike(14) whom, girls enjoyed watching and general relaxation for Folk of all ages.

At a push, the Greathall itself could hold above five thousand Folk, its associated chambers the same again, and it taekt(15) a lot of effort to keep the building warm. The fires there never went out as a result of the efforts of the chamberers,(16) who had a full time dedicated squad of firekeepers, supervised by Oier, just looking after the Greathall fires. The old infirmary chambers were also conveniently close to the Master at arms office. Seven senior members of Thomas’ staff would chair the meetings along with, at Hazel’s suggestion, junior members of Thomas’ staff of the opposite sex. From the point of view of both learning opportunities for the juniors and any possible extra insight that could be gained they all agreed it was a good idea.

They discussed the treasures of the forenoon, noting all ages were in Earth years. Thomas telt of George, a fifty-eight year old man, who described himself as a model engineer specialising in horse drawn agricultural machinery. He had also said he had maekt(17) spinning wheels as favours for friends.

Yew chipped in at this point, “We’ve no real idea of what this means, but we feel we need to have a Master smith, founder, wainwright and spinster at the meeting this afternoon, to evaluate his potential properly.”

All agreed, and Thomas resumed, “We’ve a sixty-five year old, I can’t remember his name, who descriebt(18) himself as a retiren(19) museum rope maker. In the notes, there were references to something he callt(20) a rope walk which can make ropes over two hundred yards long. As we understand it that’s over two hundred strides, and that’s some rope. Our best ropers can do twenty strides, so we’ll have a Master roper at the meeting. He also mentiont(21) with a little more equipment and a lot more trouble ropes of limitless longths(22) could be maekt, though he sayt layt(23) not maekt, but we bethink us that the two words are the same in this context.”

“If he can come good on this, our sea Masters will be vying with each other to offer him placement,” prophesied Yew. They concurred again this should be properly evaluated.

“We also findt(24) a last maker who uses a lathe to make what he sometimes calls shoe trees and sometimes shoe lasts. We bethink us they are both the same as what we call lasts.” Thomas paused briefly as he shrugged his shoulders, “Our last makers carve them laboriously, and I bethink me not our woodworkers have ever uest(25) their lathes to make lasts with, but I don’t know that for certain. We findt a well digger, always useful. And finally a man who says he can make a facility that removes all the wastes by means of moving water down pipes to wherever you will it to go. You can put them wherever you will, and they have stink-traps, what ever they may be, so they don’t smell. Seems too good to be true, but we’ll have a Master plumber in on the meeting, and a last maker and a well digger in with the other two.”

Yew grinned remarking, “A good selection we feel, and we findt thirty-odd others with combinations of useful skills, expressions of desire to learn and a few things we are not familiar with, but they’ll contribute and it looks promising. We’ve fourty-five(26) to go, but if we need it Thomas will find some help nextday(27) to finish, probably Gareth, though we could always ask Weir. What of the women?” he asked Hazel.

“The cream of the milk(28) is a woman of thirty naemt(29) Ella, who describes herself as a research pharmacologist specialising in the extraction and testing of active principles from traditional herbal remedies. Did I say it tightly,(30) Gosellyn?” Hazel asked.

“I bethink me so, Gran.”

Rowan seeing the expression on Thomas’ and her husband’s face said, “She’s a highly skillt(31) and advancet(32) herbal.”

Gosellyn corroborated this by saying, “She refers to the use of foxglove, from her description I’m sure that’s what we call heartsease. It’s a powerful herb, potentially lethal except in the hands of an experiencet(33) herbal, uest for heart problems especially in the elderly. She has statet(34) she wills a husband and both to bear and adopt children. She will be a good woman of the Folk. We shall have a Mistress herbal at the meeting, and I will to be there too.”

“We findt a woman who is clearly a Mistress of dairy work, her understanding of making milk products is of a much higher level than ours,” continued Hazel. “We shall have Mistresses dairy and milch beasts at the meeting. She also sayt she wills to have a family.”

Yew was nodding his head in acknowledgement of the women’s successes. Hazel resumed, “We’ve a woman who describes herself as a quilter. We findt that’s a way to make warm clothing and bedding that’s new to us. She prefers to bed women and wills to be part of a family with a lot of children. The seamstresses will be very interestet(35) in her work. We also have two midwifes,(36) a water mill expert, a book binder and restorer who it seems will be a boon to your archivists, Thomas.”

Thomas, for whom the maintenance of the archives, which had to be rewritten every generation or so, requiring the constant efforts of a large group of archivists, was a serious problem, thought so too.

“There is a whole host of knitters, crocheters(37) and seamsters(38) as well as many who have some connection with growing most of who seem to think little of their craft. We’ve a basket and hurdle maker, hurdles are weaven(39) to keep sheep in, but we are not quite sure how. She’s not yet twelve of our years, refuest(40) to give a name, but she sayt she wills to marry. We suspect she really means to find a family. I bethink me her life has not been good. We’ve a glass blower who will be well come. Gosellyn?”

Gosellyn continued with the tale, “She has left a newbirtht(41) babe and her man behind, and she’s terribly shockt.(42) She’s helping Molly nurse the babes which is helping her. She’s sure to adopt at least one of the babes, and we need to find her a caring and supportive man, but we’ve someone in mind.”

Aware that this was best left to the women Yew nodded to Hazel to continue. “Finally, we’ve a beekeeper. She refers in her statements to movable frame hives maekt from wooden pieces which can be opent(43) at any time for inspection in order to prevent loss of bees due to swarming. I’m sure our bee keepers will desire spaech(44) with her, and we bethinkt ourselfs we need a Master woodworker present too. She also refers to candle making, which is no surprise in a beekeeper, but she says she specialises in making wicks, so we’ll ask Anna to be at her meeting.”

“Not bad at all,” said Yew. “How many more have you to look through nextday?”

“Fewer than you, thirty-five I bethink me, but Gosellyn bethinks herself there will probably be a half dozen pregnant women too and may hap some elders, but we’ve no severe problems to deal with, and there are four of us.” Gosellyn nodded in agreement. “Campion is organising things for the couple who don’t spaek(45) English. Like many incomer women the woman wears what they call a wedding ring and the couple shaert(46) a bed lastnight.(47) It may take time to establish spaech with them, but Campion is sure they have willingly joint the Folk.”

Yew thought a few moments and said, “I’m going to send word for a full dinner again thisnight,(48) at half to eight I suggest, for all those who were there lastnight and any others who have helpt. Gareth will know who they are. A brief statement of the then situation at half to seven and may hap we shall be awake enough to enjoy dinner and the entertainment in the Greathall afterwards.”

Siskin laught and looking at her mum added, “Dad’s trying to catch up on the brandy he was too tiren(49) to manage lasteve.”(50) Yew looked a little unhappy as Rowan laught in agreement, but he said naught. He was far too acute to challenge his own womenfolk in public, especially when he knew they were right.

Thomas indicated they still had work to do, and they walked back to his office to inform his staff of the revised procedure. As they went into Thomas’ personal affairs chamber, which though he rarely uest it was uest daily by Gareth, Willow came in with a tray with mugs of leaf on it, and with a dark look at Yew handed them all a mug before taking herself and the tray out. “I’m going to have to achieve saught(51) with her aren’t I?” he said to Thomas.

The four women looked puzzled, and Thomas explained, “Yew teast(52) her this forenoon. She’s new and still a little sensitive.”

Rowan looked at Yew and said, “Yes.” Yew knew better than to say aught and also he had better make his peace with Willow. Rowan could make life difficult when she wasn’t entirely happy with him. The rest of them wore amused smiles but said naught.

Thomas sent for some of the junior members of his office and issued instruction for them to have done what ever was necessary to have the meeting chambers ready, have staff on hand to escort newfolk to the meeting chambers and also the required craft Mistresses and Masters and to ask Gareth, Duncan, Fern, Raoul, Harp, Lovage and Grayling the senior members of his office who were going to chair the meetings to come to his affairs chamber and also Willow, Daphne, Ymelda, Sorley, Hornbeam, Bram and Larch the less senior members who were to assist. They were still going over their notes on prospective agreäns(53) and families when Will walked in with Raoul and Lovage. “You’ve one less problem to deal with, Thomas,” he stated, and seeing the leaf he went for a mug. “Lovage? Raoul?” he asked.

“Yes please, Will,” replied the tall, half a span short of six feet, woman in her middle fifties. She was of slender build and had been a pretty woman once, but her face was marked by the ravages of the fevers she had barely survived a year since. Raoul just nodded in response.

Handing Lovage and Raoul a mug he taekt a deep drink before spaeking. “No change on the intransigents, but we’ve spent a lot of the forenoon having spaech with their guardians. There’s naught for you lot to concern yourselfs(54) with, but we’re watchful. Those nine women down there are still making demands we don’t understand, but much less stridently than lastday.(55) Again naught you lot need bother your heads with. Your staff,” he looked at Gosellyn, “is still having spaech with them.

“The good news is the reluctants are aught but similar to each other. I believe most of them to be decent men who have never had any chance to be decent men and will make good Folk, but there’s some real cesspit scum in there too. I’ll make sure we separate the scum, so there is no possibility of them helping each other. I’ve some ideas as to how we deal with them so the dogmeat can die on their own, but that’s not important for the now. The reason we’ve not had lunch yet was one of the men. He was in the first lot to leave the Gather tent, so we had no reason to bethink ourselfs he was in any way unusual.”

Thomas had a sickening feeling he knew where this was going and asked, “Religious fanatic?”

“Without a doubt,” replied Will. “Exactly as descriebt in the archives. He was in the Greathall, with fifty other newfolk. He standt(56) on the musicians’ dais and startet(57) haranguing the rest of them. Ranting of unbelievers and using words I’d never hearet(58) before. I had no idea what he was referring to and I suspect nor did any of the folkbirtht(59) present. Most of the newfolk must have understandt(60) though, because the next thing I knoewn,(61) we had a full blown riot on our hands. A rowdy night at the White Swan after the last harvest is in paelt(62) by comparison. One of the healers, the pretty young woman who hurt her leg when she was threwn(63) off a horse, Mistletoe and Bruin’s daughter…?”

Will looked to Gosellyn, who supplied the name, “Lianna.”

“Yes, that’s the one. She tryt(64) to calm him and persuade him to come down off the platform. She put her hand on his arm, and he went mad. Hit her in the face and callt her all sorts of, obviously from the newfolk’s faces, unpleasant things, of which I understandt less than one in ten. I don’t understand why, but he repeatetly(65) callt her a thornberry.”(66) he said questioningly.

“I take it you bethinkt yourself he sayt haw?” answered Hazel.

“He did.”

“The word he uest is pronouncet(67) nearly the same, but it is spelt w-h-o-r-e and not h-a-w. The archives tell us it is a derogatory term for a Mistress of leisure,”(68) explained Hazel.

“How is that bad?”

“Never mind, Will, whence they come it is, just accept it.”

“We might have standt a chance to bring him out alive, but Brock seeën(69) it happen,” continued Will. “You know how big and strong both he and his brother Bruin are. Brock reacht(70) him first and only hit him once. It was as if he had hit a cobb’s(71) web, and the man must have been dead before he hit the floor. Brock telt me he didn’t mean to kill him, he was going to braek(72) his arm so he couldn’t hurt Lianna any more, but the man movt(73) and taekt the blow at the base of his neck. We’ve spent the last hour sorting out the mess. Your staff was invaluable, Thomas. I sent them for lunch when it was over. Lovage came with me to discover what’s going on here.”

“How is Lianna? Were many hurt?” asked Gosellyn.

“She’s distresst and has bruises. I bethinkt me she didn’t look too good, but your staff sayt it was naught serious. The worst the newfolk suffert(74) was braeken(75) knuckles. Flaught(76) and brainless! Hitting someone on the skull with your bare fist is begging for a braeken hand, ridiculous! My sorrow, just a craft opinion there. Any hap,(77) that one’s not going to trouble any again.”

“We discovert(78) him in the notes this forenoon, Will, and were planning on passing him over to you to look after,” said Yew.

“Brock’s already lookt(79) after him tightly(80) which has savt(81) us all considerable trouble,” said Will.

The others, knowing naught they could say would make Will order his squads to expend the slightest effort disposing of what he referred to as dogmeat, asked no further questions. To the Folk religion, and they didn’t appreciate there were different religions, or indeed any variations within a religion, meant what the archives informed them, fanaticism which was a threat to the Folk. They considered it be a kind of instability that crossed over the point of insanity. Their own who became mentally ill they trett(82) with compassion. If they became threatening to the Folk, and there was no alternative, they didn’t lock them up or restrain them, they compassionately eased their end. An incursion of insanity was a different matter altogether, that was a matter for the huntsman to deal with, after being tightly authorised so to do by the Master at arms of course, retrospectively if need be, though the preferred option was to allow Castle to resolve the matter.

Duncan came in with Fern, Raoul and Harp, “We’ve staff out seeking you, Lovage,” Duncan telt her, “I take it you were with Will in the Greathall?”

“Yes.”

“We’ve staff seeking Gareth too. Have you eaten yet, Lovage, Will?” Duncan asked. The pair shook their heads. “There’s food been sent over, and it’s in the main affairs chamber. If I were you, I’d eat whilst it’s hot and before things become busy here.” Lovage and Will looked to Yew and Thomas who both nodded.

Thomas said, “Take your time naught will be happening here that needs either of you for at least half an hour.”

The pair left as Gareth came in followed by Grayling, Larch, Daphne, Ymelda, Sorley, Hornbeam and Bram. They went over the meeting lists again and finally managed to work out a rough time table of who would be seen when, where and by whom. They had almost finished when Lovage and Will returned. Leaving Gareth to finish the list, Thomas gave Will and Lovage an explanation of what was happening, and waited for Gareth to finish. Five minutes later had Gareth produced a dozen or so bits of paper and said, “That’s as tightly organiest(83) as we can have it for the now, no doubt some persons, both folkbirtht(84) and newfolk, will be awaiting awhile in the main affairs chamber, but it can’t be helpt.(85) Let’s have these lists out and start as soon as possible.” He left and came back a couple of minutes later without the pieces of paper saying to the others, “Our staff is collecting them. Any more leaf left?”

A few minutes later Willow came in and announced, “The meeting chambers are all warm and ready. I’ve seen to it there is ample fuel in all of them to last at least thisday, and the firekeeper gangers have promisst(86) more will be delivert(87) later for nextday and Oier will ensure the fires stay warm and fuelt.(88) I’ve informt(89) Basil, and he telt me he would tell the gangers to do what I telt them rather than wasting time asking him what to do. He warnt(90) me that they are all literal and would take that to mean they had to obey my orders, but they would be unlikely to obey any else than Yew or possibly Thomas, and expanding his instructions to include others to obey would confuse them which he was unwilling to do. There are twelve chairs in each chamber, and over a dozen younger apprentices I taekt from any craft that had them to spare using the incursion emergency as my authority, so each chamber has two runners. The first newfolk are in the main affairs chamber as well as the craft Mistresses and Masters requiert(91) for their meetings.”

Gareth smiled at Willow with approval for her knowledge of and use of the Way concerning the the incursion and then looked at the others who with himself would be chairing the meetings and the juniors who would be assisting and said, “Let us begin then.”

Yew said to the other observers, “We’ll give it a few minutes for them to settle before we go alistening.” Turning to Willow he asked, “Would you like to dine with us thiseve,(92) Willow, at half to eight?”

Willow blushed, but realising Yew was seeking saught for teasing her replied, “Yes please. Gratitude, Yew.” Rowan turned and smiled at her husband who was very relieved to know he was out of trouble.

Word Usage Key

1 Spaeking, speaking.
2 Distresst, distressed.
3 Lovt, loved.
4 Placet, placed.
5 Remaint, remained.
6 Themselfs, themselves.
7 Sayt, said.
8 Bethinkt, thought. The construction is Folk.
9 Riandet, a matter of no consequence.
10 Pleast. pleased.
11 Widoweret, widowered.
12 Thisday, today.
13 Uest, used.
14 Belike, likely.
15 Taekt, took.
16 Chamberers, housekeepers.
17 Maekt, made.
18 Descriebt, described.
19 Retiren, retired.
20 Callt, called, named
21 Mentiont, mentioned.
22 Longths, lengths.
23 Layt, laid.
24 Findt, found.
25 Uest, used.
26 Fourty-five, forty-five.
27 Nextday, tomorrow.
28 The cream of the milk, Folk expression indicating the best.
29 Naemt, named, called.
30 Tightly, in this context correctly.
31 Skillt, skilled.
32 Advancet, advanced.
33 Experiencet, experienced.
34 Statet, stated.
35 Interestet, interested.
36 Midwifes, midwives.
37 Crochet, in most forms of the word crochet the t is silent in Folk thus crocheters is cro shay ers (kroʊʃeiərʒ). The t is pronounced in crochett, the past tense of the verb.
38 Seamsters, specifically needle workers. The seamstresses is the name for an umbrella craft that encompasses many subcrafts in addition to seamsters.
39 Weaven, woven.
40 Refuest, refused.
41 Newbirtht, newborn.
42 Shockt, shosked.
43 Opent, opened.
44 Spaech, speech.
45 Spaek, speak.
46 Shaert, shared.
47 Lastnight, last night.
48 Thisnight, tonight.
49 Tiren, tired.
50 Lasteve, last eve, yesterday evening.
51 Achieve saught, achieve reconciliation, or make one’s peace.
52 Teast, teased.
53 Agreän(s), spouse(s), one(s) one has marital agreement(s) with.
54 Yourselfs, yourselves.
55 Lastday, yesterday.
56 Standt, stood.
57 Startet, started.
58 Hearet, heard.
59 Folkbirtht, Folk born.
60 Understandt, understood.
61 Knoewn, knew.
62 Paelt, paled.
63 Thewn, thrown.
64 Tryt, tried.
65 Repeatetly, repeatedly.
66 Thornberry or a haw, fruit of the hawthorn tree, Crataegus monogyna.
67 Pronouncet, pronounced.
68 Mistress (or Master) of leisure, one who provides sexual services for a living, the craft is regarded as no different from any other on Castle.
69 Seeën, saw.
70 Reacht, reached.
71 Cobb, spider.
72 Break, break.
73 Movt, moved.
74 Suffert, suffered.
75 Braeken, broken.
76 Flaught, foolish, stupid.
77 Any hap, any way or any how.
78 Discovert, discovered.
79 Lookt, looked.
80 Tightly, properly in this context.
81 Savt, saved.
82 Trett, treated.
83 Organiest, organised.
84 Folkbirtht, folkborn.
85 Helpt, helped.
86 Promisst, promised.
87 Delivert, delivered.
88 Fuelt, fueled.
89 Informt, informed.
90 Warnt, warned.
91 Requiert, required.
92 Thiseve, this evening.

up
24 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos