Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 334

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Calling On A Hike.
by: Parker pens & Bonzi's bum.
part:334

I went off to sort out the dinner while the ‘boys’ were chatting, they were laughing and joking with each other so I assumed things were okay. After taking in the chicken for Tom to carve, I went back to the kitchen for the vegetables.

While Tom carved lumps of meat off the chicken carcass, Simon took the empty bottle of claret they had been drinking off the table and replaced it with another, which he opened with a ‘pop’.

“Have a glass, Cathy,” he urged me. I refused, I didn’t want one. He poured me one all the same. Tom of course swigged down what was left in his glass and held it out for a refill. I wasn’t sure what I felt, but happy wasn’t the operative word.

I ate without saying anything, they both nearly fell over laughing when Simon said, “Poor chicken, I can see what he had for his last meal,” referring to the orange I’d stuffed it with.

“Her last meal,” I corrected him.

“That’s what I said, didn’t I?”

“No, you said his last meal. Chicks are sexed at a day old and the male ones are gassed.”

“Ugh! That sounds terribly sexist, if you ask me,” he quipped back. I hadn’t asked him, but at this very moment it seemed it might be better if they did it to humans too! Then I contemplated all the female children who are killed or aborted in countries like India and China. That seemed like an abomination to me.

I didn’t drink the wine, I didn’t fancy it, just not in the mood. I finished my dinner and cleared the plates. The men stayed at the table finishing the bottle. I loaded the dishwasher, and then returned to the dining room,

“I hope you brought some clothes with you,” I said to Simon.

“No, I didn’t. I’ll go and get shome from the cottish in a minute.”

“You’ll be well over the limit if they breathalyse you,” I cautioned.

“It’sh true, Shimon,” confirmed Tom, “You’ll have to borrow shome of Cathy’sh.”

“Nah, I’ll be alright, where did I put my keysh? Have you sheen them, Cathy?”

“Yes, they’re little metal things which open doors.”

“Ha bloody ha, where are they?”

“If I knew I wouldn’t tell you, you are too drunk to drive.” I knew perfectly well where they were. I’d hidden them in the garage, along with my own. “Anyway, I’m off for a bike ride.” So saying, I left them and went to change. I’d poured my wine down the sink and I was fizzing with anger. I needed a ride to calm down, sadly it was the wrong time of day, straight after a meal.

I returned an hour later, I hadn’t pushed my luck, just a gentle ride out to the cottage to see if Monica was still there. If she was, she had moved her car because that was missing and it wasn’t in the garage.

I wiped down the bike and locked her up again, inside the men were on their third bottle of wine. I was livid, however, I decided I wasn’t going to say anything then. I would wait until the next day and hopefully they’d be sober.

After a shower, I discovered they were both asleep and the television was on. I switched it off and neither of them moved. I had work to do to check some stuff over before Des arrived the next day. Maybe I should get him to run off with me?

At eleven, I went back to the dining room, Tom was asleep on one side of the table and Simon the other. I left them to it and went to bed with my book. At half past I put the light out and went to sleep.

I was awoken by somebody bumbling around the bedroom and walking into the bed and swearing, then hushing themselves, it was pathetic. This pathetic mess, then got into bed with me at the second attempt, he fell off the first time. I pretended I was asleep and lay with my back to him. He kissed me on the back of the head, and fell asleep in moments. That’s when the snoring started and my frustration began.

No matter what I tried, I could not get back to sleep. At about two in the morning, I gave up, took my pillow and a blanket and went downstairs to the lounge. I curled up on a sofa and eventually went to sleep.

I awoke at six, with Simon staggering about the place. “Oh hello babes, I wondered where you were.”

“Are you fit to drive?” I asked, wondering if his blood alcohol level would be safe now.

“Yeah, course, why?”

“I just wondered.”

“What are you doing down here?”

“I couldn’t sleep and didn’t want to disturb you.”

“You are so good to me, Catherine Watts.”

“Not really, I’m concerned by the amount you are drinking.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I mean Tom is as bad.”

“I’m not marrying Tom.”

“Oh, back to that are we?”

“I thought we were supposed to be trying to communicate better, I’m trying to communicate a worry I have, but you keep poo-pooing it!”

“It’s alright, okay?”

“No it isn’t, how can it be?”

“It’s under control, alright.” He walked out of the lounge and a few minutes later I heard him start his car. The ball was back in his court, which was just as well, because I was so angry I’d have knocked it off the planet and him with it!

I went and made some tea and started some coffee for Tom, I heard him walking about and groaning.

“Morning, Tom,” I said loudly and he cringed and held his head.

“Please be quiet, my head hurts.”

I shrugged and walked away with my tea, “I take it you don’t want bacon and eggs for breakfast then?”

“No, not this morning.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Reconciliation?

and drowned by the booze again. He just has no clue does he. It seems he is just another disfunctional spolied brat.

Not Much Improvement, IMHO.

I sure hope Cathy and Simon can work things out better than they are now.

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions. Neither seems to be listening to what the other is saying

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Simon Needs AA Really Bad

jengrl's picture

Simon does not realize that he has a problem with the bottle. There is no way that Cathy should be willing to marry him unless he agrees to get help. The sad part is that he may not realize it until it is too late. He has to admit it and apparently he is still in denial. It seemed hypocritical for Tom to lecture them about their problems while at the same time abetting Simon in his alcohol problem.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

You can tell a man who boozes…

You can tell a man who boozes
By the company he chooses,
And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

(or something like that!)

Simon is riding for a fall. My step-sister is an alcoholic and whenever she visits I have to hide all my booze and keep it under lock and key. She was dried out, and lapsed immediately after the 6-weeks residential course was over. She went to AA meetings, but she just won't recognise that she has a drink problem. It was contributory to her being diagnosed with breast cancer resulting in a double mastectomy before she was 40.

I don't like Simon driving the morning after a skinfull. His blood/alcohol level must still be waaaaay over the limit.

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Oh pooh..

Leave Simon alone okay?! So he enjoys a stiff drink now and then, so what? He's not waisted drunk each and every night. He isn't incapa... incept.. umm. . unable to do what's asked of him every working day and more. He is NO alcoholic.
You go on about him and his drinking like he is some sort of barbaric drunken fool, taking it in every time like there's no tomorrow, well he's not. He's from the old country okay? Not exactly the continent, but close, so he's used to drink a 'little' more than most of you on the other side of the pond are used to. No alcohol before you're 18 or 21, but _you_ are allowed to drive lethal machines like cars at 16. Gawd.. Quit your yapping, you don't understand it.

And Cathy riding her high horse is also utter lunacy. Get a grip Cathy, you choose to be the designated soberist who can't see a little silver lining, sulking and pouting like a little hurt girl. Start communicating when you think or are feeling things go wrong beforehand, not after with loud noise and whining like 'Look what it got you..' Kind of petty.

Nonetheless quite nice writing, when it's got me here then.. :)

Jo-Anne

No, Simon is an alcoholic ...

he knows excessive drinking bothers Cathy yet he gets stone drunk the very night they are supposed to be reconciling. She should have let him drive, maybe he would have killed some innocent bystander.

THREE f***ing bottles of wine consumed by only two people in a few hours? That's drunk by any standard unless these are very small bottles of a very weak wine. Wine has a LOT more alcohol that beer per unit volume, even European beer.

P.S. Alcoholics can function in society until the later stages of the disease. Simon in only partway down that path so far. He gets drunk too often for me to think it’s a stress or a social thing. If he isn’t dependent on alcohol to sleep, he’s close to it. As I understand it a bottle of wine or maybe two is plenty for two people during a long, evening long or more formal dinner and they are staying at a hotel. Three bottles is drunk. And Simon was VERY drunk, staggering drunk, long after Cathy went to bed.

Why didn’t she pour out all of Tom’s booze while the two were in an alcoholic stupor? They both deserved it, pigs!

This will not end well unless they talk, really talk and Tom has to lock up the booze.

John in Wauwtosa

P.S. Damned good chapter.

John in Wauwatosa

I hate to judge...

...either one of them. I probably drank as much as Simon when I was in college, and certainly never thought of myself as an alcoholic, though one friend tried to gently suggest I might be, as Cathy does to Simon here. I thought my friend was just being a bit of a prude but even then, deep down, I couldn't fault him for caring.

After I graduated my drinking became less and less frequent as my social situation changed to be less conducive to it, and I never missed it or went out of my way to find opportunities to drink (though I didn't go out of my way to turn them down either).

Nowadays, though, I'm a teetotaler--not for any moral reasons, but just because I've developed some kind of sensitivity to it. Even one drink leaves me in an irritable, crappy mood for a day or two and I don't want to inflict that on everyone around me.

Angharad, I'm amazed by the way you are able to sustain believable, engaging drama in this story day after day after day after....

334--Ah, the demon drink

It can turn a dog into a fox and a marriage into a nightmare

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Simon has a drinking problem.

LibraryGeek's picture

He's drinking far too much, far too often. Tom's drinking too much as well. Getting falling down drunk isn't excused by it being a cultural difference between countries. I used to drink far too much, as a stress relief and because I'd be less inhibited. I haven't drunk in thirteen years now, and I'm much better for it. They're drinking wine like it was water, which is what I used to do, which is a waste of good wine, you can't properly appreciate it after the first glass unless you space it out.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I've got it under control.

I've got it under control.
Said by every alcoholic just before they start the downward spiral.
My name is Simon and I'm an alcoholic. -Step one at AA meetings.

Cefin