Remembrance Day - Lest We Forget

Printer-friendly version

thMXMQKYSX.jpg

Since we have many new readers I decided to re-post this story today on Remembrance Sunday that was lost in my story list. It is posted as a tribute to those who served and those who were lost.
My own father went all through North Africa and Italy and survived to come home but a lot of his colleagues were killed. He took his bad memories to his grave.
Jules

‘Lest we Forget’

By JulieDCole

A short story on Remembrance Weekend.
You decided then?
Well I don’t have much choice do I?
But you’re not fit enough or strong enough, just look at you.
Sorry I have to go. It’s important. I have to say thanks and be there just for him.
But he died a long time ago. It’s seventy years or more since they all got killed. Nobody here knew them. They were just marines passing through.
I knew one of them. His name was John. It’s exactly seventy years ago. We only had a few hours together but he was someone very special.
I knew as soon as I looked up into his eyes.
What were you doing looking into his eyes. You were just a young lad.
He helped me after I was beaten outside The Dog and Gun pub.
Yes I remember that pub. They knocked it down years ago. Anyway what were you doing in there? You weren’t old enough to drink.
I didn’t say I was in the pub I said I was outside the pub.
So who beat you up?
It was two guys from school. They were always picking on me. They punched me hard in the stomach and called me names. I managed to protect my face but they broke some of my ribs.
Typical. Anyway think yourself lucky. Nowadays they’d have kicked you and jumped on you.
Not that night they wouldn’t. John stepped in and they tried to beat him but he was too strong.
You never told me before. Who was he then? Why do you feel you have no choice but to go?
Because I fell in love with him and he kissed me. He told me I was beautiful and he wished he didn’t have to leave. He wanted a photo of me but I didn’t have one. He gave me a photograph of him.
Well you were beautiful and you still are. So what happened to the photo then. You never showed me or even told me. I thought we were special friends?
We are but you’re a woman and he was a man.
Yes but you were a man. Why did he think you were a woman?
I went out for a walk in my sisters clothes didn’t I dimwit.
So that’s why you were beaten up. They caugh you outside in drag. It wasn’t accepted in those days so I’m not surprised.
It’s not accepted now either in this village. Nothing has changed. Attitudes never change. The world is so unfair.
But you’ve lived as a woman as long as I’ve known you so things must have changed.
I suppose so but it wasn’t easy. I just wish he’d have come back. I’m sure he meant to. He seemed so sincere.
But are you sure he was killed?
‘Yes or he’d have come back wouldn’t he?’
‘Not necessarily he might have had a girlfriend at home.
No he didn’t and I know he’d have come back for me.
How come you are so sure?
Because I checked didn’t I. He gave me a locket that had had his sister and mothers photos inside and he asked me to save it for him. It was supposed to keep me safe like they meant it should keep him safe when they gave it to him.
Huh typical American belief. What happened to it?
I don’t have it anymore just his photograph in my handbag. I always carry him with me and take it out when I go to the Remembrance Day service.
Well I never. You kept that secret all these years.
Yes but this might be my last time as you know.
Don’t be like that. Keep fighting Remember what Churchill said. Never, Never, Never give in.
Yes but I think it’s time for me to find him.
I thought you said he was dead.
He died in France but not in my heart.
Are you sure? Maybe he just went home.
No I found the cross in a giant graveyard.
How did you know it was his?
Because. I know.
OK but there are thousands of crosses and who knows if it was really his resting place.
I know it was. I could sense him looking down at me.
That’s just the impact that such a large loss of life has.
Well there was another reason I knew it was his cross.
‘Oh really.
Yes because when I got up to go I met his mother and sister who had been watching me for ages.
They’d had a letter from him the same day he died. They told him he’d met someone special in England and she was the one.
How do you know he meant you? The USA soldiers chased all the women.
Yes but that doesn’t mean he meant you does it. Anyway back then you weren’t like you are now. You were a young guy not a girl. He’d have known surely.
Maybe. Probably. I’m not sure but you are right I suppose because of what he said in the letter.
What was that?
His mom said I was special and he hoped she would understand.
Well maybe I suppose.
So what did you do when you met them?
We hugged each other for ages and just cried. He was obviously very special.
Did they know?
Probably but they treated me like I was his special girl not as a boy. That’s how I dressed because that was who I was when we met.
So what did you do after that? Did you keep in touch or exchange addresses you’ve never said.
No but I know we should have done. I think his mother died anyway not long after that since she had been very ill and shouldn’t have travelled.
Oh how nice. So was that it then. What happened to the locket? Where is it can I see it?
No. I knew she needed it more than me so I gave it back................. I know it will have helped.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

To many people die in wars,

not of their making. All that promise, gone forever.

Thank you

Andrea Lena's picture

Very moving.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Lovely story Julie, and a fine tribute.

Lucy Perkins's picture

It's easy to think that we are the first transgender generation, but that is far from the case. Like many other things we stand on the shoulders of those who came before. And in many cases that just means people who were good open minded people. They are not always in fashion but they did make the world better for all of us.
Bless. Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Never easy

BarbieLee's picture

Joan d' Arc was burned at the stake for dressing in men's clothes. It was the WW that made the change for women. They were needed in the factories while the men died overseas. Not overseas for women in Russia but they worked the factories too. I don't see anything happening like that for the MtF as there are no situations where everyone is in a dress to keep the nation operating for one reason or another.
So many have paid a hellacious price to be who they were born as, not what the doctor decided they were. As I think things are getting better they take a step back with states passing laws it's illegal to treat a trans before they are eighteen. Too many won't make it to eighteen without support, help, and knowing others care about them.
Hugs Julie
Barb
Life has so many speed bumps sometimes we want to give up but plow on hoping to make it better, not for ourselves but those who follow us.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl