The Prophet Revised Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version


The prophet

By Jasmine Monica

Aanyas tries to make up with her embittered son and makes some further arrangments with Vakia for his future
Serin has a tough talk with his father

Chapter 2

“You already have my approval!” Annya shouted as she entered Vakia's office. “You have my permission to teach both of my children and do whatever you feel is necessary.”

They all saw Sarin's features tighten, and his eyes glared at her. She said softly. “I have done enough to hold you back. That is at an end.”

He refused to respond. Vakia didn't understand their history and said to him, “Sarin, you should be happy she has given her consent. You are just being rude.”

Sarin said to Aanya, eyes still flaring. “You have a very long way to go, Aanya, if you ever want me to give you another chance. In fact, you have so far to go I doubt it's possible ever to reach the point where I will ever trust you again.” His voice was trembling.

Vakia looked at Sarin, “How can you talk like that to her?”

Aanya said, “It's okay, Sarin, Emily, why don't you go back home and play some more. I need to have a brief word with the professor here. I like to talk alone if you don't mind. There are some things that she really needs to know about you if she is going to teach you. I think you know what I mean.” Her eyebrow rose

He glared at Aanya. “If that's what you want to talk about, shouldn't I also be here?” He held Emily's hand as she squeezed in reassurance.

“Yeah sure,” Aanya said. “We can send Emily alone, unless you want her to be here for that. But I am not sure you are ready to talk about it all. If you are, then you are more than welcome to stay here for it.”

Aanya had a point. “No, I don't think I am ready to relive it all yet. Let's go play knights and Kings again, Emily.” Sarin said with a smile. “King Emily is so great. Let's have some fun.” He pulled her hand and led her out.

Vakia was more confused. “He wants her to be the King in their game, most boys would want to be that, and he defend the lady or something. You have a strange son.”

Aanya laughed, “You have no idea. And that's what we need to talk about. There are some things you seriously need to know about Sarin. This will take a very long time, so let's get settled. It all started when the great moon appeared in the skys, some years from now.”

“Huh?”

Aanya shushed her, “Just bear with me and don't interrupt.” and she continued the story talking about her son, talking about the moon, the plotting, the transformation, and its effects, how they treated Sarin and his other sister Patinia.

It took many hours to get through it all, and Aanya started noticing a look of rage overcome Vakia. Her soft eyes turned very hard and then very dark.

It was quite an unbelievable story, but she saw the boy use magic and he was very advanced. So she was willing to believe he had been sixteen and seventeen-year-old prodigy of the Goddess is another life. To escape the pain, he made a deal with her to relive his childhood again and be sent back. Only something went wrong, and he still has the pain and sorrow. She saw the look in Sarin's eye. She didn't understand It at first, but now she totally understood.

Aanya was uncomfortable with the hateful look in Vakias eyes as she looked at her.

Vakia spoke very slow and deliberate. Her voice was tense and full of anger. “Never in my life have I wanted to kill someone so much as I do right now. It is taking all of my self-control to restrain myself, Aanya. So you all chose to do all of that, instead of trying to teach your son what was required, after withholding the knowledge from him, all his life. I can understand that at first. His father was a devoted supporter of the the wargod. But once you saw the prophecies being fulfilled and knowing what was coming. He was your son, you knew what was coming. You should have taken the risk to help him. You should have been his supporter. If I were there, I would have stood up for him and prevented the plot. I would have personally taken him aside, informed him of the plotting, and taught him what he needed to do. You betrayed your son, and now you lost him.”

“I know,” Was all Aanya said.

Vakia asked, “Have any of you wondered why a woman so young is in charge of this entire school, and the Hekatin here? I am barely out of my teens.”

Aanya shrugged, “I figured there was a reason.”

“I am in charge of women a generation older than me. And while most schools have women much older than me in charge, I am here with all of this power. That's because I am a prodigy. I am much smarter and more powerful than many other women. And I know some potent spells that I can cast. One of them is one I never had to cast before. And I figured there was never going to be a reason ever to have to use it. Until now.” Vakia said, glaring at Aanya. She was speechless.

“This spell is so powerful. I have learned how to totally sever a woman's connection with the Goddess and remove her power. I never understood why such a power would exist. I figured it would never be needed. Now I understand.” Vakia staring into Aanya's eyes.

She saw the fear in Aanya's eyes, and she laughed. “No, I'm not going to use it on you. You deserve it, but no. It looks like you are really trying to make it better with your son. I think you know what you did was so wrong. But it doesn't matter anymore. Your son hates you, he cants trust you. In fact, I think he's afraid of you.”

“I just don't know what to do, and now Emily doesn't feel any better about me. I saw the way she looks at me.” Aanya said in helplessness.

“Don't try to make me feel bad about you, Aanya,” Vakia admonished. “You earned it all. But I think I have a solution to this. Your son is hurting, Aanya. I saw the look in his eyes. He is still in deep pain over this. Despite him really being over twenty. What you all did to him stoped much of his emotional development at around fifteen. He stopped, and he wants to relive it. He still has the mind of a teenager, and he seemed to have regressed to the stage his body is at. But I still see that haunted pained looked in his eyes. And the way he dots over his sister is so sweet. He's clearly trying to be better than he was, and he's doing a good job of it.”

“Yes, that impresses me too. I love it.” Aanya agreed.

“But,” Vakia said sternly. “It's not right. He should just be happy as a boy. There's one thing to love and dot over your beloved sister as he does. And then there's overcompensating. He's overcompensating big time and sacrificing himself for it. She may love it, but still, making her his King, come on. I heard your part about Pattenia with the crown, scared during her battle and all. I bet he puts a scar on her.”

“Yes, he does,” Aanya said. “It's so sweet.”

Vakia shook her head. “No, it's weird and very troubling. He's so conflicted and confused. It was clear he still loved his sister to the end, and that maybe what this is about. But he shouldn't try to make Emily into a copy of that. How does she feel?”

“Emily hates it,” Aanya admitted. “She gets dirty and sweaty in that armor but loves the smiles it brings to her brother. She wants to protect him so much after she heard what I did. But she is about as far from Patinia as she can get. She doesn't want to wear armor and hold a sword in battle.”

“He is so conflicted, and he's in pain,” Vakia said. “So I have a solution. Give them to me, I will care for them and I will love them. I don't have that painful history, he can trust me and I will give him the love he so badly needs. I know you are trying Aanya, but you will fail. He can't trust you, and he fears you. You cant raise him anymore.”

“But, you are barely older than he is?” Aanya pointed out.

“Yes, but I can still do a much better job, and I can get him to trust me. I can raise him and help him with his skills. I can also help Emily if you let me be their mother.” Vakia replied. “I will make sure he still has his birthright as the Duke here. I won't take anything from him. You need to consider it.”

“If he agrees,” Aanya answered. “We will need to talk to him” Then she stood up and walked out.

Vakya had never been as conflicted and confused as she was right now. That was such a crazy story, but she believed it because of what she saw of Sarin, his eyes, and his magic. And she had a sense when someone was telling the truth.

There was also the part of his hubris, and he said to her, “Whatever male hubris I had was destroyed long ago.” That sentence confused her. But it now made so much sense. This was why she was here so so much frightening power. It was clear the Hekatin could overstep their bounds and do horrifying things with their ability. They needed someone with the power to restrain them. It was clear if they kept overstepping their bounds and became a force for terror that they may inspire an uprising like they did during the first usurpation hundreds of years ago when they were overthrown, and their temples were destroyed. She felt the pieces coming into place for the prophecy. And that's why she was here to prepare her part of it. Sarin and Emily had a place in it. Why else would there be a boy with such enormous power? But he needed some love and guidance. Annya failed him by a considerable margin. That was so sad because she was so wise and powerful herself. She really should have known better.

Vakia was so frustrated now.

Xxxxxx

Aanya was prepared for almost anything when she returned home, or so she thought. But she was not ready for this. Her daughter Emily was dressed up in armor again wearing a childish like crown made of parchment designed by Sarin to look like the crown Richard wore in the capital. She had her helmet on and the scar that Sarin made for her. That wasn't usual at all.

What made her stumble was seeing Sarin in a brilliant blue gown, and he must be wearing one of Emily's corsets considering how much his waist was clenched. And how ramrod straight his posture was. He must have even had Emily's handmaidens do his face and hair a little. His lips were reddish, and he must have some blush painted on his cheeks. He walked more gracefully than usual, kneeling toward his ‘king’ and addressing her as Her Majesty and bowing his head. She had a read sword in her hand.

Then he quickly turned and shot something out from his hands. An enormous concussion of air blasted out, knocking over anything in their path, and then he shot a few more saying he was protecting his King. Then he jumped at her and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace. She held him tight

And then she said, “Sarin, I am tired and dirty. Let's go inside.”

They went inside, and Emily had her armor removed and finally able to cool off. Sarin kept his corset and gown on a little longer when Aanya walked in and asked her children to sit down.

“Sarin,” Aanya said, questioning.

“I was being the lady,” Sarin said, shrugging. “You should like that, after all?” He said, accusingly at her. “remember what you did.”

“Yes, and I know I was wrong.”

“Yes, I also know that,” Sarin said bitterly. “and I am glad that you stood up for me in there. That's a first,” He said in disbelief.

“that's what we need to discuss, and now you have a major decision to make. You will be attending school with Emily. You won't be in her class, they will be giving you a separate set of tests to evaluate your level. And they expect to begin specialized courses to prepare you for the four ways and the trials. You won't have to go wearing that, Sarin, and we suggest against it. There is no need, they know you are a boy, and Vakia has said she will accept you as a boy.”

Emily spoke up, “I won't let you go in my clothes Sarin. It would be stupid if you went to school in a dress. I am okay during our playtime, but I don't like you being the maiden for me to rescue. But it's sweet.”

Aanya said sarcastically, “that's what Vakia meant in overcompensating. She is really worried about you now.”

“I guess you told her everything,” Sarin asked.

“Yes, and she wasn't happy with me at all.” Aanya admitted looking at him. “and she has a suggestion for you two after hearing it all. Vakia suggested that you live with her, and she will care for you all like a mother. It won't affect you eventually becoming the Duke here, or anything like that. But she knows of our history and is very concerned about you Sarin. She wants to help you. You have to decide whether or not you want to go with her.”

Sarin thought for a few brief seconds and then asked about Emily, “What will happen to her?”

“The offer includes her. Vakia also wants Emily to live with her. After I explained everything, it occurred to her that you two hate me, You Sarin really hates me. You don't trust me at all, and you may even fear me.”

‘Yes,” Sarin replied in a strained voice. “Those memories don't go away. Your power, your cruelty, and the way you handled it all. I am afraid of you.”

“And that doesn't do well for a parental relationship. Vakia is right. This cant work.” Aanya admitted with tears.

Sarin looked at Emily and asked, “What should I do?”

“I think we should at least try it. We cant trust Aanya, and you need to get away. If Vakia wants us, then we should let her. I want to go.” Emily said, smiling warmly.

“What about Dad?” Sarin asked. “The Duke Gerrik Denae. Won't he have something to say about his children moving in with another mother?”

“I will handle that, and you know he goes along with what I say. He's really changed and takes my advice seriously. He's concerned about you.” Aanya assured him.

“Okay, Emily, let's go when she offers. But first, I want to have a serious talk with my father. A very long talk with him, so tell him tonight I want to meet him in his office, and I will get some answers from him.”

“Shouldn't you dress in something more appropriate to have a serious man to man with your dad?” Aanya inquired.

“Nope,” Sarin said. “He had a lot to do with me ending up this way, let him face it with his own eyes while he's alive to see Serinina for real.” Sarin smiled, “And perhaps put some pretty ribbons in my hair. Emily, want to go knit something first?”

And the two children were off. Emily said, “So you want to rub your experience in his face.”

“Yes. Dad deserves to see what he caused. And I want to know why he did it all.”

“He probably didn't know any better!” Emily offered as they ran to her bedroom.

“Yes, and he needs to answer for that too. He was the King. He should have known better. He was the man in charge of the religions, restrictions on the hekatin. The wargods. If he didn't know, why didn't he know? There's no excuse.”

Brother and sister sat in her bedroom and picked two needles up and began knitting yarn. She kept her eye on Sarin as he began his task as if it was natural. He weaved the two strands of yarn together effortlessly and had several rolls going in no time.

It was like it was the most natural task for him. He looked up, still knitting, and had several more rolls. “Does this look strange?”

“Yes, sort of,” Emily admitted. “But, I understand.”

“Do you think I shouldn't knit with my sister because most men consider this beneath their station in life?” Sarin asked.

“No,” Emily replied. “If you like it, then keep doing it. I play King and sword fight with you when you ask.”

“But you hate it,” Sarin offered. “You do that only for my enjoyment. I actually enjoy knitting, especially with you. By the way, do you like that top I made for you?”

“Yes, it's beautiful,” Emily said. “I don't know how you made those designs in the gown. But it's my favorite.”

“But that's my big question. I enjoy it, should I not enjoy it because it's not considered a manly thing to do? Sew and knit clothing?”

Emily shook her head. “Not at all. You and I will change many people's perceptions of life.” She smiled.

“When I swordfight with you. It isn't all play. I am trying to show you stuff that I think you will need. You haven't beaten me yet, but I think you will beat me in time. You are picking it up fast. You almost disarmed me the last time.” Sarin complimented her.

“Yeah,” Emily replied acidly. “I am tired of you disarming me all the time. I wanted to repay you for that. At least I tried.”

“You will,” Sarin said. “I hoped you would enjoy it more. I have a feeling we will both need to be very tough. You will have to become a great fighter. I will need to rely on you more, and you will need to rely on me. I think you know what we will be facing, and this is why I'm pushing you.”

Emily leaped toward him and whispered in his ear, “I am glad you are doing it. I understand, and I will always be there for you.” Then she hugged him.

The door opened, and their father's servant came in. Gerald said, “Your father is in his office waiting for you, milady.” He smirked as Emily giggled.

He knew Gerald was kidding, and Sarin stood up and followed him. Gerald opened the door, and Sarin walked through. The man shut the door behind him as Sarin found a seat and sat down. Gerric noticed he smoothed his gown before he sat and brushed the hair from his face.

It almost looked like Sarin was throwing his femininity and experiences right into his face to be hurtful.

Gerric started the conversation. “I assume you have finally decided to confront me and ask me some questions about my past decisions?” He let that hang.

“Yes, my biggest question is, why weren't you aware of any of it?” Sarin asked harshly.

“Any of what?” Gerric inquired. “Be specific in your questions, son. Do you mean the prophecy, or your mother, what?”

“The prophesy and the witches. The Hekatins moon that appeared that you casually dismissed a giant shining moon in our sky as a children's tale, it staring you right in the face. How could you not know what any of it meant? You, King Gerric Danea, who had the responsibility of repressing the entire Hekatin and in charge of the priests? How did you not know?”

“I have no excuses,” Gerric replied. “I was a fool. I never knew, I was never taught these things, but that didn't mean I couldn't have educated myself. I was a fool, and it cost me my life and cost you so much more. Watching your suffering at their hands was almost more painful than what I was enduring in death. There's no excuse, I was the man in charge, and I failed. It cost us everything. Being dead taught me many things, and you can see, I am putting them to good use. I have made friends with the Hekatin here. You hated me at first for that, but I can see you got over that.” Gerric said sardonically with a twinkle in his eye.

Sarin laughed, “Not entirely, but I'm working on it.”

“I don't mind how you are dressed,” gerric said. “If that's how you want to dress, you don't have to hide it from us.”

“I am glad to hear it. I am still mad that you didn't know, and no one bothered to teach me any of these things. I am mad at you and mad at mom for the choices you both made that resulted in this. I can't ever forgive any of you.”

“I don't deserve it. I saw your suffering and your wrath. It was most entertaining. And such a shocking conclusion. The deal you made with Prognita. And your betrayal of Lilith. I must warn you, she is pissed.”

“I thought I killed her?” Sarin said.

Gerric shook his head sadly. “Oh, no.” He said hauntingly. “You hurt her, but she is too powerful for that. Lilith will return, and she will want her vengeance. She is in contact with Pattenia. Shes also pissed. They will be coming for you.”

Sarin's face twisted in terror. “So, what can I do?”

“Luckily, you had your other request for your replacement to be so powerful no one can beat him. We have the prophet you requested. He will have just the power to destroy her. Good thinking. I wonder about that family. Their fathers almost a clone of my arrogance. Only this time, he has his son to deal with. That's going to be so funny. The King's son is the son of Prognita and Gabriel. He better watch out.” Gerric busted out laughing.”

Sarin joined him. He had to admit he liked this father much better. Then Sarin said, “I will miss you. But I simply can't stay here, I can hardly stand mother, and I know she's trying hard. But there's just too much pain. Even Aanya agrees this isn't working. The Primary of the Hekatin here has offered me to move in, and she care for me. Emily and I have agreed. She will personally train me.”

Gerric seemed to take it better than Sarin thought he would. He replied. “Good. Perhaps she can do a better job than I did.”

“I guess I should prepare. I hear that Vakia will be arriving with her carriage shortly. I will miss you.” Sarin stood up, and they shook hands.

“Good luck Serinina.

Xxxx

Vakia arrived a few hours later in a large carriage. Sarin's servants helped him load some of the stuff into the back of Vakia's carriage. They loaded trunks of clothes and some of his stuff he liked. They packed Emily's stuff. The children sat with vakia, and they took off to her manor on the outskirts of town.

Vakia already had their bedrooms set up near the top, and her servants loaded the children's trunks in their separate bedrooms. It had been a long night, and they ended up sitting in the drawing room with Vakia.

“Welcome to your new home, children. I hope everything will be well. Sarin, your mother told me everything.” Their eyes met, and Sarin saw there was a lot of sorrow in Vakias eyes. “I can't believe any servant of the Goddess would be so cruel. But, power does corrupt. That's what we really need to guard against. Or we will have the same situation we did hundreds of years ago. I think that's why you are here and why I am here. We need to guard against the Hekatin being corrupt and brutal. Emily, I hear your brother is teaching you some great stuff.”

Emily nodded, “Yes. I didn't appreciate it at first. But I think I will need to learn to fight like a boy.”

“We may all be required to get physical in the future. I will prepare for us. Sarin, I will personally take charge of your training. You will be prepared to face the four ways, and the official trials. Your mother told me you want to be a teacher there?”

“Yes, if it is possible.” Sarin offered. “Mom said you will never let a nine-year-old teacher. I guess it's hard to blame them. I won't be much older than the beginners.”

“If you want, Then I will let you. Sure, it's not normal, but it's also not normal for a nine-year-old to be anywhere near ready to face the trials. But it's not normal for a boy to have a strong connection with the Goddess either, or normal for a nine-year-old to really be in his twenties. None of this is normal, But we do it anyway. The children will learn from you if you show you can teach them. You can be great.”

Then she hugged her new children, and Vakia said, “We had a long day and will have a long day tomorrow. Especially you Sarin. I feel so privileged to have you here. Your sister should feel so privileged. You will make me so happy. Now let's get some sleep.

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This isnt really a rewrite

I am just adding some more chapters
but the original chapter two is now chapter 3

Anger can lead to mistakes

Jamie Lee's picture

Sarin is past really mad, something that could cause him to make mistakes.

He's demonstrated his powers and that gives him confidence in his abilities. However, it's also made him arrogant and he may meet someone who's powers are greater.

He needs to be very careful who he angers when using his powers. Even though he is over 20, some will feel he needs to be put in his place as a now nine-year-old. How are the others of his current age going to react at his teaching them?

Others have feelings too.