August, Ten Years Later

Printer-friendly version

 

August, Ten Years Later
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2019 Melanie Brown

Lonnie honors a ten year old pledge


Reading "Secret Base" first is recommended. -- Ed

 


 

This was stupid.

I really doubted Steve, the boy I met in the backyard of that empty house ten years ago, would even remember our pledge to meet, much less actually show up. I’m sure life got busy and he would forget about that young transgirl that he met on that warm summer night so many years ago.

I’m not even sure if I’d recognize him after all this time. He must be in his mid-twenties by now. Well and so am I. And I’ve changed probably more than he has.

I got my confirmation surgery when I was eighteen and that’s when my parents and I parted ways. We both moved away from the town I grew up in. Mom has since reached out to me, so I hope our relationship can mend.

I parked my rental car near the alley that ran behind that house where we met. I surprised myself that I was able to find it. But then this neighborhood hasn’t really changed much in the last ten years. I turned the engine off on the car, but I didn’t get out. I just sat there.

It was almost eleven o’clock at night. I’m a woman all alone in what is now a strange neighborhood. Getting out of the car and walking down this alley in the dark was a dumb idea. I thought about those two bullies that basically chased me down this alley in the first place. I actually owe them I guess. I wouldn’t have ever met Steve at what became our secret base where I freely dressed as a girl. I had seen an article on FaceBook after I had moved away of one of those bullies being killed while robbing a liquor store.

I opened the door of the car and stepped out. I felt the warm night air circulate around my legs. I was wearing a dress and heels. I wanted to dress up for Steve if he actually showed up. I looked down the dark alley. Heels were probably not the best choice for shoes to walk down an alley.

I took a deep breath and started to walk down to the gate. I really doubted the gate would still be unlocked. I’m sure the house had owners by now. Still, I had pledged I’d be here in August ten years in the future. We didn’t pick a date, but I thought the middle of August would make more sense. I could always try over several nights. Some dogs started barking as I walked in the darkness. I was nervous as hell. I was nervous about meeting Steve. Or some random creep.

This was stupid.

After walking a short distance I stopped. There was the gate. The gate to our secret base. The gate looked exactly the same. I reached for it, though I was sure it was locked this time.

The gate swung open with a low squealing sound. I thought oh my God! It’s open. I wondered if I dare step inside the yard. The new owners could have a dog or a security system. It was stupid, and with great trepidation, I stepped into the yard.

I couldn’t believe it. The shed that Steve and I spent hours playing games and talking about everything under the sun, and shared our first kiss, was still there. Our secret base.

But no Steve.

I stood there for several minutes, staring at the shed and letting those wonderful memories wash over me. I closed my eyes and smiled at those memories. I sighed heavily. At least I honored my pledge. It was silly of me to think Steve would remember. I took one last look at the shed and then turned to leave.

And almost ran into a shadow standing inside the gate. I almost screamed. The shadow turned on the flashlight on their phone and held it up, blinding me.

“Holy shit!” exclaimed a male voice. “It’s really you! Lonnie! My God, look at you!” He reached over and flipped a switch near the gate and a flood light illuminated the yard.

Before me stood Steve. He was even more handsome than I remember.

“Oh my God, Steve!” I said excitedly. “I honestly didn’t think you’d remember.”

Steve frowned slightly. “How could I forget a solemn pledge like ours. And look at you. You’re a woman. And a beautiful one at that. And that’s a pretty dress.”

I blushed. “Thank you. To tell you the truth, I’m surprised we’re able to get into this yard.”

Steve laughed. “I bought this house two years ago. I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss you.”

I laughed. “You have no idea how happy I am to see you again. Ten years is a long time to hold a promise.”

Steve looked seriously at me. “Do you remember the last thing we did before we parted on that July morning?”

I took a step towards him. “I do remember.”

Steve stepped closer to me. “I remember right where we left off.”

I felt a tingling of anticipation as he bent his head towards me, brushed my hair from my face and then… and then… his lips pressed into mine. I slid my arms around his neck and pulled ourselves closer. It was as if the gulf of time evaporated and we were standing in our secret base in an endless summer embrace. I closed my eyes. I never felt so happy in my life.

Finally, Steve pulled away slightly. “Let’s go inside. We have a lot of catching up to do.”

I nodded and kissed him again. He took my hand and led me into his house…our secret base.

*          *          *

The End

This story is very loosely inspired by this song: August, 10 years later https://youtu.be/bpd02IeNXYM

Editor’s note: In the song, the pledge to meet again goes unfulfilled.

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very sweet

thank you for sharing it

DogSig.png

Another touching story by Ms Brown

Robertlouis's picture

I read and enjoy all your stories both short and long, and just wanted to say that you seem to write so effortlessly that it makes your stories an absolute pleasure to read. Always credible, often thrilling, sometimes funny and always tremendously well written. This latest example has all those hallmarks.

Thank you.

☠️

Thanks for the Continuation

I read Secret Base last year when you first posted it. I gave it a kudo but didn't comment. Having to wait a year for the payoff only adds to the story (which I did enjoy originally).

Thanks for sharing.

Perfect

Lucy Perkins's picture

*sobs* Such a happy ending. I'm really enjoying this story honestly *sniffs and then sobs again*.
Thanks Melanie. I read Secret Base when it came out, and loved it. I never had s place to be Lucy, but their story was compelling.
I REALLY love this conclusion. *Sobs again* It is a lovely ending.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Ten years and...

Beautiful in its simplicity.

Hugs and thanks, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors