Polly Chapter 22 of 25 - Pillow Talk

Printer-friendly version
22.jpg
 
Chapter 22 - Pillow Talk

Each day, any day, no mater how the humans packing the surface of this planet act, react, stumble, fight, love or hate, they must bow to the reality of physics. Sailors fear that if all the passengers on a boat should move to one side it could capsize, and that very thing has happened. Not even if some demagogue should convince the entire population of the Earth to all move to one side of the planet would it change the rotation of the Earth.

The sun will apparently set below the western horizon precisely on schedule. If another branch of physics should concur, the world will be suffused in golden light as the clouds glow in a glorious display of pink and red and orange. If the weather chooses to be cloudy, the world will be shrouded in gray, muddy light as it soggily dims, the poor hapless humans never being sure just when the sun actually set, but set it will.

In a small cabin along a scenic river in the State of Oregon, night fell after a glorious sunset. After a day in which the humans located in that area had tried their best to make order from the chaos of their lives, the beauty of the sunset was healing for the troubled couple inhabiting that cabin. They were on autopilot, brushing teeth, disrobing and donning pajamas, not without a fond glance at the naked body of the other person in the room. Pretty nice that after more than twenty years the mere sight of their naked partner could inspire admiration, even lust. With the mundane things necessary to be ready, they fell into the strange but comfortable bed with a sigh.

"Scott?"

"Yes, love?"

"Hold me?"

Rolling over and finding his hand resting comfortably on her breast, he replied "With pleasure."

Silence ensued, then was finally broken.

"Do you understand anything that happened today?" she asked.

"Do you?"

"I asked first."

"Who was that woman who served us dinner tonight? She was familiar but so different. Look how she flirted with the other customers, how she made the children laugh. She even fed the baby with that couple who had that big brood when the kid started crying."

"I could see flashes of our Peter now and then; a look, a phrase, a posture. If I hadn't borne that child myself and raised him for eighteen years I would never have given that woman a second glance. A woman with breasts!"

"Not to be a sexist pig, but they do look perfectly natural."

"I know they must be forms like Caroline had after her mastectomy, but you're right."

"I suppose that's why those kids were teasing her about never going swimming. It would be hard to hide them in a bikini."

"I do not want to think of my son in a bikini, breasts or not!"

"Disconcerting, isn't it?"

"Yet that young woman is obviously happy and in her element."

"I wish I got along with my coworkers as well as she appears to!"

"And then Russ goes and announces that Polly made the dessert tonight! Not only is she a charmer, but she's a cook!"

"Takes after her mother."

"Was I the only one who was hoping they had one of those heart-starting machines around somewhere when that girl at the desk turned out to be our son?"

"Good thing Vicky learned CPR."

"I'm going to have to find time to talk to that Rose. She had to have known about Peter or she wouldn't have arranged it so Polly didn't know we were coming."

"And yet both she and Russ seem to be perfectly fine with the whole situation. He even boasts about her cooking!"

"Entirely justified! If I didn't know my wife would give me that frown I would have asked for seconds."

"She wouldn't have frowned unless you refused to share it with her."

"Now you tell me!"

"Just one more thing I didn't know about. Did we miss Polly because we were so focused on our son?"

"I think it's not so much that we missed Polly, but that she was always part of our child but in the background. You know we both fretted because Peter didn't seem to be all that interested in dating, and deep down inside I wondered if he might be gay. Then Sheila became his steady girl I have to tell you I was overjoyed."

"Thoughts of grandchildren running through your head?"

"Well, maybe a little, but mostly that Peter had found someone to love."

"Yeah, it was pretty obvious that there was real love between the two of them. Grandchildren would be a nice side benefit though."

"Even with two mothers?"

"That does complicate matters."

"Living our liberal ideals just got a bit harder, didn't it? Not as big a problem when it's your friends in a lesbian relationship, somehow."

"Lesbian? That doesn't sound quite right."

"If we accept our child is female, or wants to be female, then what else would you call it?"

"I just don't know what to think. I was prepared to enjoy a week of vacation and not have to think about anything so confusing!"

"And now our child is getting married! I was actually there when they sort of proposed to each other."

"I suppose it's a good thing they passed same-sex marriage, if that's what applies here. Otherwise it could have gotten sticky."

"Trust a man to come up with a comment like that."

"What, you want me to follow in my son/daughter's footsteps?"

"You would look simply awful in a bikini."

"Then I'll leave the bikinis to you. Did you bring yours?"

"A forty-three year old woman does not wear a bikini."

"Why not? You have the body for it." Giving her breast a squeeze he continued "See? Still plenty firm and plump. Roll over and I'll inspect your ass."

"My ass is lying next to me playing with my breasts."

"Vicky's going to be out with that crowd of kids for quite a while. We're all alone."

"So we are. I guess we won't solve all the world's problems tonight, but we could solve one simple one."

"And what's that?"

"I'm horny."

 

Meanwhile, in a cabin a little closer to the woods, a similar scene was taking place. There was one more bra to remove and the flash of lust lasted some time longer as the couple was far younger than Scott and Irene, but the results were the same.

"I still can't get over how warm your boobs are, lover," mused Sheila.

"It's a shame I can't feel your hand, though."

"Implants would fix that."

"Not in the program until we're rich and famous. We'd have to work here for about a decade to get one boob done. They aren't cheap, you know."

"And you know?"

"Google it. Still in the realm of fantasy, lover."

"Notice how we're talking about everything except what happened today?"

"At least my folks didn't go ballistic."

"That's a plus. Even if it was sneaky, I think Rose did us a favor by not letting us know your folks were coming. Kind of like getting a root canal, you worry more about the pain to come than the pain the Novocain doesn't let you feel."

"You might feel a little pressure now…"

"They must drill them in that line in medical school."

"We're not talking about what happened again."

"Easy to try and avoid it, isn't it? So what are we going to do when we go home and go to college?"

"The first thing I'm going to do is change my major."

"Really?"

"You know I was just taking liberal arts because I really didn't know what I wanted to do?"

"You've mentioned it."

"Well, after this summer I think I want to enroll in the Hospitality program and get a formal degree in running a place like this."

"You're really hooked, aren't you?"

"I just love the whole thing. I could live without making another bed, but Russ and Rose have been really trying to have us know how everything works here."

"I've noticed. Rose even has me doing some of the accounts. I got to take the money to Sisters last week in their van."

"They really trust us, don't they?"

"And Rose knows about Pete!"

"I suppose Russ tied Little Rose to a kitchen chair and threatened her with that monster pizza paddle he has for the oven."

"How else would they know?"

"They may seem like a quaint old couple but they don't let much get past them."

"That's for sure."

"I hope we can come back next summer. We have to talk to Russ and Rose before we go and see if we can."

"Which brings up the question - who's going home, Pete or Polly."

"Since all of Pete's clothes are in Little Rose's bedroom back home, Polly hasn't any choice."

"But will you change clothes before going home?"

"I really don't know. I don't want to but…"

"Yeah, but. Speaking of which, you have a nice butt. I've gotten to like wearing nightgowns in bed with you."

"Could I point out that it's so warm neither of us are wearing a nightgown?"

"Why so we are."

"So do something about it, lover."

 

Meanwhile back at the ranch. (The hotel is called the Triple Creek Ranch, after all.)

As with our other two couples, Russ and Rose were preparing for bed. In their case a bit later than usual considering how early Russ has to get up to start breakfast, but there was no way they were going to miss the events that Rose had set in train.

"So, my lovely Rose, we survived the day, those poor, unwitting parents survived the day and those two lovely young women survived the day."

"Those two will not only survive, they will thrive together. It almost makes me wish…"

"Thinking of Tony, my love?"

"You know me too well. If only he had come back from the Gulf War those two could have been our grandchildren."

"A lovely thought. Still, our life has been full of joy as well as sorrow. I have to admit, until you told me I never had a clue that Polly was anything but what she appeared."

"Just like a man, put a pair of pretty tits in front of him and he won't see anything else."

"Let me help you with your bra, my love, and we can test that theory."

"You old lech!"

"After almost fifty years I still love seeing you naked."

"Get on with you. Sheila you might like to see naked, Polly I'm not so sure of now you know."

"I only have eyes for you…" Russ sang.

"You're an old fool."

"But a fool in love."

"Russ, we aren't getting any younger, are we?"

"That's obvious after popping all those pills we take before bed. Arthritis, leg cramps, blood pressure, you name it!"

"Russ, what's going to happen to this place when we get too old to keep it up? Your daddy was so proud when we kept the family business in the family, but with Tony gone we don't have a family to pass it down to."

"No cousins, no siblings, not even a maiden aunt hiding in the woodpile. But you were just talking about grandchildren."

"Just a thought. Polly told me she was thinking about majoring in Hospitality at college."

"Is she now?"

"And Sheila has been helping me with the financial side of things. She's going to be an accountant - she's halfway there already and hasn't even started her degree."

"They have both become a lot more than just the summer help, haven't they?"

"Grandchildren, you might say."

"Can you adopt grandchildren in Oregon?"

"Does it have to be all formal and legal?"

"Who knows? Rose, do you think they would be interested in taking over for us once they finish their schooling or we just spinning a fantasy?"

"Wouldn't you say that Polly has started living her fantasy?"

"So she has. Just how did you figure it out?"

"There were little things, things that a girl would know but Polly didn't. The kind of thing that only extended girl talk would reveal."

"Why did you arrange it so poor Polly got blindsided by her family? Isn't that the sort of thing she should have done in her own time?"

"If everything were the way we would wish it, but the world doesn't always go along with our wishes. Her family was going to come for vacation, there was no way to stop that."

"Are you sure?"

"If someone had told you we couldn't visit our Tony back then would you have meekly agreed? Didn't we fly all the way to that lousy desert to see if there was any chance they had found his body? How could I stand between a parent and their child?"

"When you put it that way…"

"Besides, it had to come out sometime and I wanted us to be around in case it went sour. Those girls are too precious to let them be hurt if the parents couldn't understand."

"It's a good thing I married you, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what to do in a situation like this."

"Anyway, the big clue was when her mother called to make the reservation and said she was Peter's mother."

"That would be a clue. Miss Scarlet at the reception desk with the telephone."

"Could Miss Scarlet be Professor Plum in disguise?"

"I always pictured the professor as a dumpy old man with a pipe. Not a Scarlet type at all."

"Miss Scarlet would never smoke a pipe. The stench would clash with her perfume."

"How did we get talking about such nonsense?"

"Because we have always shied away from talking about what will happen when we get old."

"You'll never be old, my love."

"Russell Russo! You will be seventy-six years old in January. We are old!"

"Never!"

"And who was complaining about arthritis and high blood pressure? Old people's diseases!"

"I hate it when you're right, Rose. I just hate to think we won't be able to keep this place up because our bodies have betrayed us."

"Then we need to think about what we need to do. After knowing those girls all summer, I think we may have an option we had never considered."

"You may be right, my love. We do need to think about it."

"Then come to bed and think about it there."

"Your wish is my command."

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful

What a beautiful story! The dialogue is spectacular! Among the best I've read anywhere, in any genre. It really moves the tale along. I only wish it would be longer than 25 chapters, perhaps with a sequel?

On the same page

My5InchFMHeels's picture

It really seems that everyone is on the same page here. Little Rose and Vicky are the only view points we didn't get to see.

It's drawing to and end, but it's going to be bitter sweet. Looking forward to how it all plays out, but not having more to look forward to.

*

This is evolving into a beautiful fairy tail.

Thank you so much.

Love,
T

Lovely indeed

Podracer's picture

A pleasure to read.
Maybe dreams and plans don't always go the way they ought, it would be nice if these did.

"Reach for the sun."

Future new owners?

Jamie Lee's picture

So Rose spotted little things and Irene laid the truth bare with making the reservation.

The talk between Scott and Irene show where Polly got her snarkiness, and humor. Which perfectly matches Sheila's abilities in that area. Being challenged about beliefs is different than it occurring to others. And it looks like Scott and Irene are accepting of their new daughter and a future marriage.

Polly has expressed an interest in living in the area of the resort, or some place like it. Sheila will live with Polly so she too might agree because of her love for Pete/Polly. Russ and Rose,are worried about keeping the resort in the family. Might the older adapt the younger couple as their granddaughters and offer them the resort? Might the young couple jump at the chance? And might the girls work the following summer at the resort?

And what of the girl's families? Will they accept the girl's future?

Others have feelings too.