The Lost Queen Vol 1 ch8: Ants and Rats

Printer-friendly version
The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 8: Ants and Rats

I could feel the apprehension of my companions as we approached the iron door. They shouldn’t have been concerned. The ability to dispel a magically locked door in-game had been straightforward. The Unlatch spell specifically targeted the magic used for securing doors or chests. Anything locked, really. Only your magical skill and mana pool would determine how difficult an enchantment you could unbind.

One Unlatch spell later, and we were standing at the foot of the stairs placing Argus off to the side of the room. As I planned to burn the wights as soon as we left the corridor, we had brought Argus with us using a bit of levitation to lighten the load. Was that going to be his fate as well? Time would tell, but I tied an extra bit of rope around his body just in case.

As we settled in the room, my thoughts were still on the conflagration I had planned. Would smoke be an issue being sixty or so feet underground? So far, the labyrinth’s magic kept it well ventilated. Well, OK, then.

Returning from the hallway, leaving the beasties burning merrily to our rear, I questioned the group, “Magical or mundane?”

Assuming Myra’s party escaped the wight’s ambush, they would have exited the hallway through a concealed doorway or by some magical ability.

“Lady Eleanor?”

“What do you think, Iona? How did your sister escape?”

My student’s eyes lit up. “Auntie, I know you don’t like her, but I’m sure Katilia would have discovered a way.”

“Your right, as much as I dislike the girl, she does possess those types of skills. Still, she’s trouble. I don’t know why your sister invited her to join her band. As I said before, nothing good would come of it, and I was right,” sniffed Karin.

Iona made a face. “It’s still not her fault that my sister decided to search this labyrinth. Even Argus was excited about what magic they would find.”

“And you see what happened to him, poor boy.”

“Ladies now is not the time to argue over this again, especially in front of Lady Eleanor.” Leo stepped in before the conversation could become even more heated.

“So Katilia, is the band's scout?” I asked.

“Thief.”

“Auntie!”

I couldn’t help but smile, “I understand, Karin. I would trust my companion Sukesada with my life before I trusted him to hold my coin purse.”

Well, no one in Magic-Life was fooled with the class name Delver. You only had to look at the skills to realize that in any other game, it would be called a thief or a rogue class. As much as I would have liked to have those skills myself, as an Eldridge Knight, spending any points in them would be too expensive, so I never gave it another glance.

--0—

Starting in the wight chamber, we worked our way back. Finding no magical or mundane exits, we continued our search. I believed or at least hoped that there was an exit across from the room or somewhere down the corridor.

Although I had no Delver skills, I did remember my old pen and paper days. Everyone joined me as I started tapping on the walls with my armored fist. Detect Magic so far had found nothing.

“Does anyone remember what side of the wall the Vargr came out of?”

“Right here,” Karin said, knocking on the wall with her dagger, then stepped back surprise to find it hollow. Everyone smiled at the discovery.

“Let’s continue to look for another exit, just in case.”

And so we continued to search the walls all the way back to the iron door but soon returned when we determined there were no other exits.

The secret door looked exactly like the rest of the hallway but made of a lighter stone. Karin pushed it in, then gently slide it out of the way, revealing another room with an exit to our left and one directly to our front. Like the passageway behind us, the walls and floor were made up of the same red brick.

“Did they come this way?”

I could see they were concerned. Myra should have placed one of her marks on the wall of this room. All we could think of in their haste they didn’t. We took the exit in front of us but returned when it opened into another room with two doors.

Not long afterward, down the second corridor the path diverged but as we approached the crossroads, my witch-light illuminated Myra’s mark on the wall.

“Oh, thank Dinya!” Karin rejoiced then sighed. “Which way?”

“Let’s go in this direction,” I said, pointing to the hallway to the left.

Further down, it turned slightly to the right before opening up into a large chamber with half a dozen exits. With the smell of blood filling the air, we stopped. In the shadows, we could see a large creature eating something.

“Antlion,” Leo grimly remarked as we knelt, peering into the darkness.

OK, I could see that the beastie had the familiar body of an ant and something that looked like a lion for a head. I actually would have preferred more spiders. Unfortunately, as gruesome as it might be, we needed to see if the antlion was feasting on one of Myra’s party members.

“Dangerous?” I asked, switching to my spear. Getting rid of sugar ants from my dorm room had been a pain, no doubt that this would be as well.

“One or two warriors shouldn’t be too much for my niece’s band,” Karin whispered, coming up behind us.

I didn’t bother to mention that they were currently short one member. Iona started with a Mana Bolt. Karin followed up with a couple of arrows as Leo and I advanced on the creature. The four of us made short work of it.

“Ratkin,” Leo verified, looking relieved as we inspected the remains of a short, stocky creature that looked a lot like its name suggests. Much like goblyns, they preferred underground lairs or other dark places.

From the discovery of other corpses in the room, a small band of the ratkins had either stumbled upon the antlion, or tried to hunt it with unfortunate results.

Retrieving the monster cores, we decided to try one of the exits. The faint scent of decay hung in the air as we discovered much like the first room, the floor was littered with ratkin corpses. However, unlike the first, water or some other liquid slowly dripped down one of the chamber’s walls.

Well, not the best source of water, but it might be drinkable.

This world had its own version of Conjuror Water called Summon Water. A little more difficult spell but common for D ranked mages to cast. Myra’s group would not have been able to search the dungeon without Argus being able to cast it. However, with his death and no obvious source of water, they were going to be in trouble.

“I wouldn’t touch that, Iona,” Karin called out to her niece.

“Don’t worry auntie. I wasn’t planning to.”

Upon further inspection, we found grey mold slowly covering parts of the floor. From it grew little white mushrooms.

“I could see why the ratkins were interested in these chambers.” Karin knelt but did not touch anything,

“Food and water.” I had to agree.

The two exits out of the room turned up little else, so we returned.

“They’re putting up a hell of a fight,” I poked the corpses of two antlions in another chamber. Surrounding them were the remains of a dozen ratkins.

Iona kept careful track of our progress. There were many ways for a group to become lost down here.

After defeating another antlion in an adjourning room and finding no signs that Myra’s group had traveled in this direction, I turned to Leo and said. “I think we're done here.”

“I agree.” He wearily responded as we returned to the original crossroad.

Thankfully, we didn’t have to go far. Upon discovering an adventurer’s mark on the wall across from an empty room, we stopped and settled in for the night. It had been a very long and emotional day.

Once Iona fell asleep, the three of us sat down to discuss our way forward. The antlion’s nest revealed that living labyrinths were extraordinarily large. We had been lucky in finding Myra’s adventurer’s mark. What happens if we could longer find them? Do we continue? When do we stop searching?

“I don’t know, my lady. I keep hoping we would turn a corner, and my niece would appear safe and whole. Now with Argus’ death,” lamented Karin.

“They shouldn’t have descended further into its depths.”

“I’m sure Myra’s band thought it to be safe, Leo. From what we have seen, they managed to easily defeat the spiders and the zombies, sorry Mania’s children, on the upper floor.”

“Unfortunately, the again-walkers we dispatched proved them wrong at the cost of one of their own, Lady Eleanor,” Leo sadly remarked using this world’s name for the wights.

“And, the revenant you defeated, my lady.” Karin shuddered. “Leo and I have encountered them before, terrible foes. “

Leo grimaced at the memory, “I don’t believe they even finished searching the upper floor. I thought I taught Myra better than that. “

“Well, even veteran adventurers fall into that trap either because of greed or wanting to see what’s beyond the next door.”

“That’s unfortunately true, my lady, and I can’t say we haven’t done that ourselves.” Karin rested her head on her husband’s shoulder.

“And now, after searching through Argus’ backpack, we discovered they are also running short of food.”

In Magic-Life and many other games, food and water weren't necessary. Drinking was for fun or worked like food, which gave buffs, healed you, or replenished your mana. In this world, food and water were matters of life and death.

“If you’re hungry enough, my husband, you will eat anything, but what I am more concerned about is their water supply,” fretted Karin.

Now, we did discover water. So it did exist down here, but.

“What do you think they will do now?” I questioned the two.

Leo sighed. “They obviously cannot return the same way, so I imagine they will be searching for another exit.”

“Unless they have found another source for water, they won't be going far.”

I had a feeling that finding more water was possible. An easily accessible and drinkable source was another story. However, if Myra’s party could find clean water, they might be able to find creatures they could hunt. Even if what they ended up eating was less than ideal.

“Well, it’s not unheard of for living labyrinths to have levels where water’s plentiful.” Leo looked thoughtful.

“Unfortunately,” I interrupted them. “With one less member in their band, they are going to have difficulties proceeding further.”

Neither was happy about that revelation. I had another one.

“Was Argus not as experienced as the rest of Myra’s group?”

In Magic-Life, unless there was a minimum gear restriction, it was common for players of different levels to enter a dungeon.

Both looked surprised, then Leo asked, “Why do you think that?”

“The magical lock shouldn’t have been that difficult to disenchant. “

With a little practice, Iona could have dispelled that magical lock. Why was Argus, who was of a higher rank, not been able to? Did he not have Dispel Magic?

“Sarding boy,” Iona’s uncle cursed.

“Leo,” Karin reached over and cupped her husband cheek, “Please, the poor child has already paid for any mistakes he might have made.”

“Or something changed that made it more difficult for him to dispel.”

The two looked up at me, surprised.

“Your right, we’ve seen that before,” Leo commented, now sounding embarrassed.

The three of us could have continued looking for answers, but we really wouldn’t know the whole story unless we actually found the missing adventurers.

--0—

Deciding that Myra’s party would not have gone far, we continued on our journey. It went well at first, most of it without trouble, but by the end of the day, we found no more adventurer’s marks. After warding an empty room, we settle in for the night.

In the morning, we decided we would return the way we came. Finding an empty room, we took a break to look over the map. I would admit the labyrinth was living up to its name.

“I still don’t think they would have gone far.”

I could tell Karin was hoping for something that might not be true. Although we hadn’t brought it up with Iona, the three of us discussed returning to town if we found no further signs of Myra’s party.

However, it doesn’t mean that my student wasn’t aware of was going on by the frantic way she was pointing out different routes on the map.

“Iona love, that whole area leads to the antlion’s nest.”

“But!”

“More ratkins too, and those horned worms we fought.” Leo sat forward, studying the map.

Iona sighed, then made a face. “I didn’t’ like those things.”

I didn’t particularly like the slimy brown worms either nor the black beetles that spat corrosive acid at us. Karin had gotten a face full in one attack, thankfully only receiving a slight sunburn. We were going to have to look in another direction.

Looking at the map, I noticed a path off the route where we last discovered a mark on the wall. Not really, the best choice, but frankly, we were almost out of options.

“How about this passageway?”

After a meal, we moved out, faces grim.

Unlike the monotonous hallways behind us, the new corridor doubled in width, with the ceiling rising into the darkness. Along its path, every ten feet or so slender columns held the roof aloft. The hallway was long.

After we had traveled some forty feet, Leo suddenly stopped. “Myra’s mark.”

On the wall between two pillars, we could see a familiar ‘M’.

“Why here?”

“Lady Eleanor, I think there is something different about it.” Iona ran her fingers over the mark after casting a detect enchantment.

Looking closer, sure enough, like the hallway near the wight room, there was a section of the wall looking a little out of place. Were we going to have to retrace all of our steps to see if Myra’s party managed to find another secret door? I felt that we were looking for a needle in a haystack.

“Any sign that they went in that direction?” queried Karin.

“Nothing obvious.” Leo sighed.

“So, we continue.”

Iona marked it on the map as we preceded down the large corridor.

We traveled another fifty feet when Iona suddenly pointed over my shoulder, “What are those?”

Large white gems the size of dinner plates appeared to be embedded in the center of each pillar ahead of us.

“They’re enchanted.” I replied before the group could ask.

Cautiously stepping forward the first two lit up then the others followed, lighting the path with a soft white glow revealing a set of large bronze doors.

“They’re magically locked.”

Leo looked at me and nodded. We would need to return to the secret door. As we left the area, the gems went out one by one.

--0—

The door easily slid out of the way revealing a small corridor. A stream of water slowly cascaded down both walls into a channel on the floor. A slight gradient kept it flowing away from the secret door and into the darkness beyond.

“Careful, it's slick.”

We proceeded cautiously, finding it difficult with half the corridor cut in half by the stream. The path ended at an arched stone bridge that crossed an even wider channel. The bridge although not long had no handrails and appeared to be extremely wet.

“Can’t see much further down the stream,” Iona held on to me as she peered into the darkness.

“Water’s coming from above.” Karin pointed to the right. The corridor slanted up ending at a wall. From the ceiling sheets of water poured down falling into the stream below.

“There is a pathway on the other side of the bridge.” I really wished Sukesada was with me now; I didn’t like this one bit. “Let me go first.”

Reaching into my bag, I pulled out a spider silk rope wrapping it around my waist before handing the end to Leo.

Surprisingly, I reached the other side of the bridge with no problems. “Iona, your next.”

Nodding, she tied the end of another rope to herself before passing it to her aunt. She then crossed, holding the line attached to me, quickly joining my side. The steps were repeated until everyone stood on the other side of the bridge.

The path forward at least remained mostly dry although we still had to be careful. Two small flights of stairs brought us closer to the stream before it flowed under a large archway. Our path forward went under a much smaller arch however, it was the faint sounds of combat that reached our ears that hastened our pace.

As we ran down the corridor, the sounds of battle drew ever closer with the passage ending at a massive chamber. Below us, surrounding a small pond stood ratkins by the score. They were screeching, calling out from what I could tell were creative insults in their language. A small group hidden behind shields allowed their fellows to run up and toss crude spears across the water. Every so often one of their numbers fell to an arrow to the throat.

On the other side of the water piles of corpses lay under a wall. To their left the ratkins appeared to be piling up debris creating a makeshift ramp to reach their quarry. Their prey was none other than Myra’s adventuring party or what was left of them.

A young woman whose appearance could only confirm her to be Iona’s sister, stood high on the wall with her bow drawn firing an occasional arrow into the swarm below. From what I could see, those arrows were becoming as precious as the water they were fighting over.

A second figure, dressed in black leathers sat a little higher up wielding a light crossbow. She too picked off another rat that attempted to drop another load of debris onto the ramp.

A third member well armored and dressed in healer white, stood over another member of the party protecting him with a large shield. She also safeguarded their mage lamp, the party’s only source of illumination which I could see annoyed the ratkins almost as much as the arrows.

“That’s Myra with the bow.” Leo pointed to his niece. “Katilia is the one with the crossbow.”

“There’s so many“ Iona whispered moving next to me. “ Auntie, I see Amice and Warin but where is Denis?”

Finding no sign of the other party member, I asked. “So Amice is a healer.”

“Yes and Warin, her betrothed, was once a town guard in Harmon.” Karin replied as she nocked an arrow. “And if he is unable to move, then I can see why Myra hasn’t retreated from this place.”

“Reinforcements.” I pointed to a large exit below where another group of ratkins emerged. This group also carried spears and debris, which they tossed into piles for others to drag to the ramp.

One of the things in Magic-Life we didn’t have to worry about was friendly fire, at least when it came to magic. As long as the other characters were a member of your party, they could not be hurt by collateral damage. That is not to say if I picked a member out and tossed a fireball at him, he wouldn’t be hurt. No, it meant, that a party member standing next to him wouldn’t be caught in the blast. I didn’t think this would be the case here however; it wasn’t going to stop me from sowing a little chaos.

“Karin, can you do something about their leaders. I notice a few of the larger ones are keeping the ratkins in line.”

She nodded, then grinned as she sent an arrow dropping one big fellow with a well-placed shot right through the left eye. As several more members of the swarm began to fall from the unexpected attack, the rest started to panic.

“Iona.”

“Yes, Lady Eleanor.” She excitedly replied.

“Cast as many fire darts as you can below. You don’t have to kill them, just make them nervous.”

With a grin, she happily moved to join her aunt. As Iona sent another four fire darts on their way, Myra’s party noticed our little group and began to cheer.

“Leo, I know you want to take the path and run over there, but it’s too exposed. Don’t worry. Trust me, this won't take long.”

One enormous fellow, not happy that our arrival started to cause a panic among his rat brethren picked up a club and began to bellow out orders. That seemed to help until Karin and Iona turned their sights on him.

Upon discovering several more exits to the room, I decided upon my action. Fire Storm would probably be overkill. Only a little push was needed to make them run. As more reinforcements started to pour out of one of the larger exits, I sent a fireball over their heads.

The explosion went in all directions, the debris turning into deadly shrapnel like a fiery scythe felling a score of their number. The ramp caught on fire, along with the rats manning it. Who in turn caught others on fire as their panicked flight caused them to run in all directions. Quite a few ran into the lake drowning themselves.

A second fireball convinced the rest of the ratkin to turn tail and flee.

--0—

Aggro - As a verb, it refers to a hostile mob that has noticed a player and is actively trying to attack that player. As a noun, it refers to the amount of "hostility" the player has generated on the mob.

Alt - or alternate character is a character in addition to one's "primary" or "Main" player character. In addition, one frequent use is to play characters of opposite gender or to see what new features have been added since they last were on a low-level character.

Bells: Most large communities have some way to keep time, useful for travelers, and tradesmen heading off to work. Usually the either the Town’s Hall or Healer’s Hall will ring a large bell. It's Midsummer, so the times below will change depending on the time of year and location-

First 2:30 a.m.
Second 3:40 a.m.
Third 7:00 a.m.
Forth 12:20 p.m.
Fifth 3:00 p.m.
Sixth 7:00 p.m.
Seventh 8:20 p.m.
Eighth 9:30 p.m.

Buff - refers to preparatory actions taken prior to combat, usually involving the casting of spells. Adding additional bonuses to characters.

Escort Missions – a job where you have to safeguard an NPC, without getting them killed. Now, this wouldn't be so bad, except that the NPCs are universally stupid, running ahead and getting killed in the process. Many players despise these types of jobs.

Death Penalty – In real life, death is well permanent. In MMORPG, not so much. Yet death in 99% of MMOs is a mere inconvenience and speed bump — you don’t lose experience, and you don’t lose much of your time.

Guilds - Semi-permanent player groups. In typical games, players must use a substantial amount of capital to start the guild.

Minimap - A mini-map or minimap is a miniature map that is often placed at a screen corner in video games to aid players in orienting themselves within the game world. They are usually only a small portion of the screen and thus must be selective in what details they display.

MMORPG - Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

Mob - An AI-controlled monster.

Noob- Newbie, newb, noob, or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in a profession or activity. Variant forms of the noun include Newby and newbee, while the related term noob (often stylized as "n00b") is commonly used in online gaming.

Root - Can refer to a class of abilities as well as its effect. A root spell immobilizes a target. The target is then said to be rooted. Early versions of these abilities involved references to plants, hence "root."

Spawning - In video games, spawning is the live creation of a character, item, or NPC. Respawning is the recreation of an entity after its death or destruction, perhaps after losing one of its lives. Despawning is the deletion of a body from the game world.

Tank - A tank or also known as a meat shield, redirect enemy attacks or attention toward themselves to protect others. Typically the fighter tries to take as much aggro as possible away from weaker players such as healers and mages. Since they can often take a lot of damage, they are usually heavily armored and have lots of health.

Total party kill (TPK) “Rocks fall, everyone dies” or wipes - a situation in which every player character in a party dies. Factors include player inexperience, insufficient player characters, or encounters too difficult for the party's capabilities.

Horses in the Middle Ages:

The Destrier
The Destrier was the most expensive horse and were typically owned only by nobles and knights. Destriers were tall horses and were typically only used in battle. Trained to not only bite and kick on command but also to trample fallen enemies. Destriers were not common and, as a result, were highly sought after by knights.

The Palfrey
The palfrey was used for riding, traveling, and hunting as well as for ceremonies. Riding a palfrey was much more comfortable and was the favorite riding animal of noblewomen.

The Courser
Coursers were fast horses and had good endurance. They were often used by messengers as well as by people who needed to move quickly. Many knights who did not have access to a destrier, preferred to ride a courser into battle because it was fast, strong, and agile.

The Rouncey
The rouncey could be used as a pack animal or even on the farm. It could be trained for war or used as a riding horse and was often used by knights who could not afford any of the other horses. A knight would also provide rounceys to his squires and other men at arms.

up
268 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay

Another great chapter. I wonder if Lady Eleanor can ward the doors so they rest here even though they are huge. I hope they can save Warin, that it’s not to late to save him. Looks like they got there in just the nick of time they were about to be overrun. The fact she didn’t just drop a firestorm on all fo them may come back to bite them. I wonder if Denis was captured or swept away in the river. Also the cliffhanger is evil.

Lady Eleanor has to be really imposing like a warrior queen of yore, decked in silvered steel she effortlessly drove away the horde and I can’t wait to see Myra’s groups reactions to her.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Welsh

Great to have another installment. Myra did well to stay alive.

I used google translate to figure out what the names of Eleanor's crown, sword, and horse mean. The crown is truth, the sword justice, and google gives the horse's name as Charger. Unfortunately, google did not discriminate between "charger" meaning something that charges or "charger", meaning any sort of war horse. I suspect that Welsh has two different words for those concepts, and don't know which is meant.

Charger...

It's a Dodge, dudette.

Death and Frost

I looked up her current favorite weapons and Marwolaeth is Death and Rhew is Frost. So she is currently using Death the Longsword and Frost the Spear and she has the Crown called Truth, the Longsword called Justice. As well as a Dodge Charger for a horse. I wonder what other weapons she has that hasn’t been used yet. Do her armor sets have a name also? It would be if we were treated to the description of the visible magical effects on the weapons. I think Leo got a pretty powerful weapon last chapter I wonder what it’s name is?
Maybe she has
Ffydd Faith
Cariad Love
Hapusrwydd Happiness
Diogelwch Security
Trugaredd Mercy

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

arggggggg!

You can't stop there!

Meanie!

Aaaargh! Cliff hanger

WillowD's picture

Well, OK, it's not really a cliff hanger but I want so badly to see what comes next. I want to fing out what happened to the party. How do they react to Lady Eleanor?

Well, now to wait in suspense for the next chapter.

I was going to re-read chapter 7 just because it has been a few days, then discovered this chapter was out. This story is so good. Thank you.

Not a cliffhanger

Definitely not, it is more like a semi-major climax.

They have not escaped yet so there may opportunities for more mayhem.

Trouble?

Myra is going to be a question mark at this point. I get the impression she might be a difficult daughter type and may even want to continue this dungeon crawl when they are ill equipped to do so, especially if they are low on food.

They are outclassed by this dungeon but they may be very stubborn. If Eleanor has to resort to using her deputized authority then there may be resentment. They may think she would want to take the dungeon they discovered so would not be appreciative of her presence as they know she probably has what it takes to take on this quest.

We’ll see how this goes, hopefully the remaining group of four (?) will see sense but one never knows.

Hopefully they brought sufficient supplies to at least get Myra’s band out.

Finally, it’s been determined that it was a physically hidden door so it looks like Argus bought them the time needed to escape.

Dungeon

I could see that happening but unlikely as they have lost 2 members, one is seriously injured and they are out of food.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I tend to agree

So, it will be interesting to see if the dungeon allows them to leave the way they came though. The main issue is an injured and surely exhausted party may hamper the escape if the dungeon master decides to make escape with the injured really difficult. The injured may need time to heal but delaying escape may allow the dungeon to regroup.

Finally, as implied in my original comment, there is the question of leadership. Myra may be used to leading her band but to survive this there can be no bickering over strategy, over goals etc. Hesitation over these issues in a critical situation may mean life or death so first priority is to establish who is boss, no if ands or buts. Myra does not know Eleanor but can they waste time convincing Myra she is not the best to lead.

Leadership

Since there is a guild controlling adventuring, there are undoubtedly rules in place -- like the leader of the rescuing party becoming the overall leader, and how the loot is divided.

Guild rules

Problem is, Eleanor is not a guild member yet let alone even a fellow countryman. It was weird for her to get deputized since she is not a subject of this country.

Myra’s party might have an objection consequently.

As far as loot goes, Eleanor can reasonably charge them for this rescue given her big outlays on top of the cost of getting a rank A adventurer to do this.

I was thinking...

Her aunt and uncle are likely to put their foots down hard if she balks. There might be some complaining, but I doubt if she'll defy her aunt and uncle.

She has the authority to take

She has the authority to take command of any adventurers she encounters so they would have to listen to her.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Authority

I already mentioned I know about her being deputized.

There are many levels of obedience to authority so even if Myra seemingly obeys Eleanor’s authority it does not mean she will actively embrace it. You can obey ones’ boss and follow their commands but how would you behave if you resent or outright hate him, eh?

How does that affect your job performance or initiative?

Deputized

Elsbeth's picture

You right, she wouldn't normally and its more to do with not being a registered guild member more than not from the kingdom. Remember both Leo and Karin pushed her to take it. Karin would normally be the one to take it but she gave it to Eleanor

A - Eleanor is a noble (there is no argument about that)
B - Eleanor is a high ranked adventurer (Karin knows this and so does her husband)
C- Eleanor isn't related to the leader of the lost adventurer party ;)

And she did agreed do the quest/job for the captain, who is responsible for the area. Being a noble, no matter where your from gives you a lot of instant obedience as well.

Thanks for reading!!

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Sure

Eleanor’s Presence and pretty soon her competence, which appeals to what she aspires to would be a strong inducement to stay in Eleanor’s good graces then.

Also, there is the implication that in the guilds, ‘A’ Rank adventurers have more pull and can command lower ranks? I would suspect they are held in awe and esteem I guess?

Tiers

What I want to know is if there are tiers of A rank like A++, A++ or even S rank.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Rank Tiers

WillowD's picture

In the Asian novels I have read, increasing rank is usually rank E, rank D, rank C, rank B, rank A and rank S. Sometimes they tack on rank SS and rank SSS but those ranks are frequently informal because there are so few S ranked people that you don't need to divide them up further.

In Elsbeth's story adventurers are divided into ranks F through A as far as we know. But I'm guessing that Eleanor's effective rank is well into S rank. Her player skills are probably maxed out, which would put her at at least A rank. Her most powerful equipment, even without the loot obtained from the dragon, is probably significantly above A rank. She learned to fight in a world (game) where dying was only a temporary minor inconvenience so she could learn and practice fighting without worrying about surviving the experience. On top of all this, her own personal leadership and management skills are phenomenal, which means that any party she is in charge of will be FAR more effective than normal.

In other words, Eleanor is the type of hero or adventurer that is likely to be remembered many centuries later. And not just because of her PR department.

Goddess, I'm enjoying reading and replying to the comments to this chapter.

A ranked adventurers

Elsbeth's picture

Sure, most are household names or at least their party names. It's to be expected, recruits look up to veterans, amateur ball players look up to professionals etc...

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

well, unlike Custer's last

well, unlike Custer's last stand reinforcements arrived in time.

Too many secret doors

It is interesting that Myra’s group kept finding these secret doors, it’s almost as if the dungeon intentionally lets them find them so they will go further and further in.

Secret doors

WillowD's picture

When I was playing Dungeons and Dragons in the 1970's secret doors were fairly common. As a dungeon master I wanted to make sure that the players would make the effort to look for them.

After several days of searching the dungeon there were not very many secret doors mentioned.

Food and Water

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Food and Water are an issue, but are they a big issue? Can mages conjure food and water like in a game? What kind of character is an Eldridge Knight? It's definitely a caster, but wears heavier gear, so is it a Paladin type of character, or a sort of Battle Mage? Food and Water was brought up, but didn't really say if Eleanor would be able to conjure it, or not, just that they may be able to find it... I guess that might mean she can't conjure it.

Conjuring and Character Type

She can conjure water but has not conjured food so don’t know on the latter.

Early on in the story she mentions that ‘In-game, the Knight class, gave me the ability to ride a horse. Just like the Eldritch sub-class gave me the ability to cast spells.’

Paladin who can cast but only for certain categories of spells. Googling DnD which has the Eldritch Knight class even mentions 20 levels of spellcasting ability.

Food

She has said she has plenty of food so they should be pretty good on food and water with Lady Eleanor there.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Eleanor can conjure water,

Eleanor can conjure water, and Iona was learning the spell. They'd have brought food with them, possibly more than they needed as this was a search and rescue mission. Plus, they butchered the basilisk. Don't know if or how much they took along, but they can likely share a meal or two.

An Eldritch Knight is a class that mixes magic and mundane weaponry (swords, spears, etc).
Magic wise they tend to specialize in combat magic and miss out on the higher reaches of power that a wizard could reach.
Weapon wise they wouldn't be as skilled as a full knight, instead their flexibility is what makes them formidable opponents.
I've seen armour range from the robes of a wizard, all the way up to the same plate mail a knight would wear.

The specifics of the class would vary some depending on the rules of the game.

Food and water

WillowD's picture

As was just mentioned, she can conjure water. And they are likely to find decent water in parts of the dungeon.

As for food, it has been mentioned that she has lots of food in her bag of holding. I suspect she can and has stocked up on a lot more and put it in her bag. There has been no mention of her lacking in room to put everything she wants in her inventory. I very much suspect that she can store all the food she wants in her inventory, to the point that if she stored freshly cooked bread it would still be warm and steaming weeks later when she takes them out again.

Food & Water

Elsbeth's picture

In most games cooked food is the easiest way to improve your character and gain the extra edge in combat. So going after that big boss or doing some PvP/PvE food is a cheap way to buff your character. Eleanor has hmm quite a bit :)

Plus she liked to do it in game because in real-life she burned water

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Well Knit Story Telling

BarbieLee's picture

Noticed some of the comments about food and water. As they said, Lady Eleanor can conjure up water. And food doesn't seem to be a problem as she has all manner of supplies stored in her demise along with Iona holding food in her satchel. Remember she pulled out breakfast when she first arrived and they stocked up before leaving town on this latest trip.
Lady Eleanor seems to be an exceptionally powerful sorceress (yay) with a truck load of yet to be explored talent coming naturally to her. Our equally gifted author, Elsbeth, titled this beautiful story The Lost Queen. As sticky as the story has been so far, can't get away from it and I hate chapters, I don't foresee the suspense nor the gotchus slowing down anytime soon.
Well done Elsbeth
always,
Barb
Life is a gift, cherish it. There will come a time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Woke up this morning

Monique S's picture

and there was the next chapter, YAY!

You've really done the almost impossible, Elsbeth! and drawn me into a game based story. Now I cannot wait for the next chapter.

As to rats, the workers at the port in Hamburg during my youth used to catch a rat and put it in a cage, then set it on fire with some petrol. That kept a warehouse rat free for 4 to 6 weeks. The smell of the burning rat and the screams seemed to keep the rats away. If that works on ratkins too, they should be rid of them for a while.

Great story, I am wondering now if Eleanor is a transformed human in a different reality or still in another game?

Monique.

Monique S

It's just my guess

WillowD's picture

but I think Eleanor has been transformed and teleported into a different reality that is similar to the game. The game designers may have tuned into the reality so the resemblance is not a coincidence. Or the resemblance may be a coincidence but the resemblance helped in the transfer. Which of course, leaves me to wonder what happened to her male body in her original world.

Alternatively, this could all be in her imagination. Or it could be a new game upgrade that the designers sprang on her. But my (admittedly very unreliable) gut feeling as a reader is that this is not the case in this story.

Hopefully the chapters will continue until we find out. Possibly somewhere around volume 10 of a multi novel series if we are incredibly lucky.

Family

I think she is in a transformed reality and her body disappeared it would sad if this is in her head because she is growing attached to the people she has met. If it is all in her head it would be interesting if her body was changing in the real world, although I doubt that it is in her head.

It would interesting if she were eventually able to open a gate back to her world, so she could be the maid of honor in her cousins wedding or her cousin in hers. I hope some of her friends show up here she could use the support especially her cousin. We have yet to see Lady Eleanor even remotely challenged so far, I wonder if the dungeon will force them to fight more things and Lady Eleanor will be forced to take off the kid gloves.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Family

Her backstory is pretty sparse back in the ‘real’ world. We don’t know about parents, siblings, aunts, uncles. We only have an approximation of age.

I agree it would be pretty cool to pay for a portal to go home, maybe with the help of that dragon skin and blood?

I don’t think she will ever attain the magical strength to open a portal on her own. Just like in-game, she had archmages to do the heavy lifting.

Perhaps by the time this story ends (not for a long time, mind!) she may very well have her own court mage to do it for her.

Family

She talks about the summer her parents died in part 1. Iona is so going to be her court mage.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Thanks

Though we don’t know about any other family, extended or otherwise, other than Contessa.

Point is, is there enough motivation to go home.

Her circumstances seem to hint to her being a changeling.

Changeling

What do you mean by that?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Yup.

WillowD's picture

SPOILER ALERT

Yup. My apologies if there are spoilers here as I have read this story so many times that I really don't remember exactly when and where Elsbeth dropped clues.

Eleanor was raised on our Earth. As a child she was brought along to board meetings and surprise inspections to numerous companies all over the world so we know she's been exposed to a lot of practical experience on how to rule an empire. And she was specifically encouraged to spend a year in a virtual reality with a body and a world that is very similar to the one she was in now. And the story of how she acquired her spirit horse is very similar to the one the king's great grandmother went through to acquire one.

So, yes, there is a strong suspicion that she spent her years growing up hidden away on planet earth but being trained on how to rule, to fight, to manage magic etc.

Elsbeth we miss you. I've long given up hope that you will be able to come back some day.

Into the dungeon!

If Elspeth wants to, there is a very easy way she could force the parties to go deeper into the dungeon. Myra's party of six has three members OK, one dead, one wounded, and one missing. We have not seen a body for Denis. If Myra says that he has been captured, what will Eleanor do?

Only the beginning?

Nyssa's picture

While Eleanor continues to demonstrate leadership by letting everyone participate and feel like they have played a role in each victory, it always feels like she could have handled it herself. But this way, everyone improves and the party is better prepared for a greater threat.

Are we going to see that greater threat now? The living labyrinth might still have something in store, but forgive a noob question - aren't dungeon crawls usually a side note to the main action? It seemed to me that her arrival in this world had a more significant import than just rescuing an adventuring party. The brewing situation kinda reminded me of Shogun.

So, bigger "ratkin" to fry when they get out, but I'm loving Eleanor totally outclass every threat so far.

Side note to the main action

WillowD's picture

It's a lot easier for a dungeon master to create a dungeon with random rooms (i.e. put a gargoyle in this room, several were rats in that room, etc.) than it is to do that AND create an entire above ground open world with plot and countries and so on. Of course, after creating a few dungeons, many dungeon masters try to add something with plot, historical background, etc.

Castle

Clearly there will be more story after this dungeon. So far this has not been a serious dungeon for Eleanor; she is ridiculously overpowered for it. She is not using her best equipment or her most powerful spells.

A wild speculation of mine is that the purpose of this castle is to give Eleanor a castle. After all, right now she is a princess or a queen without a castle, and here a castle has dropped right into her metaphorical lap. Of course, this castle has some drawbacks, being 30 feet underground, having hostile inhabitants, and worst, being infused with a hostile sentience, but dealing with those problems is what would make things interesting. Taming a "labyrinth" is not at all easy, if it is even possible. It might not be possible by any amount of pure force -- the other labyrinth in the kingdom has lasted quite a while. Doing so might require some magical symbols of authority, like, oh, the mystic crown and sword of the true queen.."Oh, these? Just something I found recently."

Eleanor conquering the castle and making it hers is not necessary to the plot, but if it happens, would explain why the castle is there.

P.S. I am waiting for Eleanor to be pressed and have to explain exactly what the "overgrown lizard" she just fought was. The reactions to that reveal should be hilarious.

Taming the labyrinth?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

If the Labyrinth is sentient, It's possible with the lower geared and powered individuals out of it, it could be a challenge to Eleanor. If it's scaled down it's difficulty because of those that entered already, perhaps it's not tamable. Could be why the other labyrinth is still active.

Labyrinth

They specifically talked about the labyrinth trying to kill them,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Taming

Well maybe they need an A ranked ecologist then to come in and figure out the ecological/magical underpinnings of the place. The undead fit into the magical category so they have to be dealt with on a separate basis. But the more biological denizens hunt for food and it does not seem an occasional adventurer dropping in is enough prey.

Once they collapse the biological food chain then concentrate on the magical ‘living’ aspect of it. I suspect the dungeon kills to gain its own form of sustenance. Argus had magical affinity for example so his death could have released magical energy of a sort. The undead hunt to gain life energy and new ‘recruits’ in the case of the wights.

So, can a living labyrinth be ‘starved’ to death, exorcised, poisoned or does it hibernate for a long time if its core (mana?) stays intact?

In any case this is not to quest to do it on. It is up to the leader to prevent mission creep that endangers it and I am sure Eleanor is smart enough to avoid it.

Finally, as for the labyrinth trying to kill them, send in some Aussie ‘you call that a knife?’ adventurers as they come from a land that says to the living labyrinth ‘hold my beer!’ when it comes to killing people and they will get the job done ^_^

Dungeon

Maybe she will bind the dungeon to her will -- make it her bitch.

Binding

I don’t think her magical leanings is geared to such a thing. As another poster said, she is more geared to combat magic. Bindings and the expenditure of a huge magical force is not reasonable imho but more in the domain of a high level specialized mage, she is not Sauron you know ^_^

I do not believe seeing in DnD that such a thing is possible?

Besides, why would she want to have responsibility over the sodding thing?

Horrible location, ‘oh gee I REALLY want an underground castle’, she would be tied down to keeping control over something belonging to the local lord in a country she has no citizenship with, and what if she wants to go home?

Can you imagine the taxes on such a property?

Did I mention this is NOT her country?

Wish

The wish spell would do it they said scrolls universal she only said she didn’t have low level scrolls she said nothing about high level ones.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Looked it up

The side effects of using a wish spell are ghastly due to the strength of such a spell needed and there is nothing mentioned in DnD that says it can accomplish even this unless the player pleads with the GM to allow a certain effect.

I don’t think so.

Again, why would she want to take on such a responsibility? You keep asking about possible hows but never mention the “whys”.

The idea of a wish spell is a bad idea imho as it is a copout in a game and as a plot device. Genie stories in general bore me consequently.

Overgrown Lizard

I don’t know why doesn’t just say dragon since they apparently know what they are here.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Dragon

Eleanor is trying (not very successfully) to be low key. An elder dragon was the premier foe in Magic-Life, and she suspects that is the also the case in her new environment. There are probably lots of different types of lizards that adventurers have to fight here; to have to beaten one is not extraordinary. For her to have beaten an elder dragon is.

P.S. If your message was sarcasm, my apologies for this reply. My sarcasm detector broke a long time ago.

Can’t agree more

Saying one has helped slay a dragon at every opportunity is a symptom of insecure, preening, loud mouthed braggarts which Eleanor is not any of.

You meet that kind at bars and gaming conventions, reunions I would think. No thanks.

Stay or go

WillowD's picture

Eleanor is not in the dungeon to treasure hunt. There is almost certainly nothing here to help her find her friends or go home. She has Iona with her, who is woefully under powered for this dungeon.

Unless she stays to help find the missing party member, she has no reason to stay and will probably leave with everyone that chooses to leave with her.

Definitely go

Sorry, unless there is a reasonable expectation of finding Denis, no way.

This would likely require splitting up the newly formed group and that would violate rule #1.

So, like it or not they need to go. Where she goes they have to follow for who is to say even leaving they don’t run into some monsters beyond the group’s ability to handle.

This was not only a rescue

This was not only a rescue mission, the Captain asked her to see if she could determine if the recent monster problem was caused by the landslide or by the dungeon.
If the monsters were only displaced by the landslide, that's one thing. The problem will only be short term. If there is instead a sinister motive, that is much more of a problem. Perhaps enough to make someone go looking for outside help.

With the similarities between Magic Life and this world, and the dev's pushing for Eleanor to be made lead tester, I think they were either looking for her or auditioning for the role of heroine.

The door

I bet the door with gems leading to it that glow with proximity is a boss or at the least a mini-boss even it’s not the cause of the surge in monsters, it just felt like a boss or BBEG door.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Side mission only

I can’t see how she can do both without jeopardizing the rescue of the people.

To probe further could awaken something.

Rescue first, come back later for something else.

The Captain has no right to demand anything of her.

Captains orders

Elsbeth's picture

Your correct. The captain knows he can do little more than make a request. Even if Eleanor was part of the guild, her social rank (whatever that might be) is above the captain so he has to play it carefully. Eleanor isn't asking for money but doing it in the spirit of Noblesse oblige. She's doing it because it's the right thing to do.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Junk or Loot

I wonder how much quality extra magical item loot she can give to the rest of Myra’s party to help increase their chances of survival, she had all of that loot from the dragon she didn’t get rid of.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Scrolls

I remember reading that all classes could use scrolls. Lady Eleanor said she didn’t have any low level scrolls, but she didn’t say she didn’t have any high level scrolls. So she could have a couple scrolls of wish, meteor swarm, true resurrection or similarly useful spells.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I don't think so.

WillowD's picture

I think it also said that she could create scrolls for very powerful scrolls like that, but that she was too low level of a mage to activate the high level scrolls.

Spell Casting & Scroll Making

Elsbeth's picture

Its a skill that was used a lot when she and her companions were much lower level. Giving out scrolls, even low level ones were helpful. Now with her party all high level not so much. (it was a matter of game balance)

Non spell casters in Magic-Life could only cast low-tier spells from scrolls, in this world she doesn't know how it works. If she was a full blown Sorcerer than this might be a different story.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Spell caster

But she is a spell caster so if even she can’t make them she should be able to cast them. Additionally don’t you mean if she was a full blown wizard since Eldritch Knight is wizard based.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Spell Casting

Elsbeth's picture

Sure she can cast whatever, she doesn't create scrolls for herself though (why bother) however the Eldritch Knight class does have limitations. She is a spell caster but she isn't a wizard so the hidden arts of the arcane are beyond her.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Warin and Potions

I wonder if Warin is poisoned Lady Eleanor has the ingredients to an anti-venom potion, would seem like fate. I also wonder if she has any healing potions or if she can make some.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

The sheer number of comments here

WillowD's picture

I find it amazing how many comments are appearing here. And I see there are a number of us that are coming back over and over, replying to the comments that others have made. There are certainly a lot of us that are invested in this story.

And it's awesome how this Elspeth commentor has some of the most insightful comments in our speculations about side issues and background points in this story. It's like she created this world or something, she seems to know it so well. Snerk.