Right to Life - Brain Donor: Part 2.

Printer-friendly version

Right to Life: The Brain Donor

Chapter 2 - Recovery.

I spaced out for the next few days. Orderlies came in and changed my bedding, nurses fixed my colostomy bags, and drained the catheter bag. I got sponge baths, and they manually manipulated my limbs, so my muscles wouldn’t tighten up and atrophy. All the while, I sat there in a fugue. Things happened, and I was aware of them. But I didn’t give them any thought, and I certainly didn’t respond to anyone.

I sat there feeling sorry for myself, when I heard a voice. I looked over to the doorway, and saw the blurry image of someone. I didn’t have the glasses on, and I couldn’t see them. I could tell that the person was coming closer. The individual reached over to the bedside and grabbed the glasses. I knew that because they were on me in a matter of seconds.

Standing in front of me was a woman. If I were still me, I’d be drooling over her. She was perhaps about 5’5” - 5’6”, with her long blonde hair braided into a long braid that fell down to about her mid-back. She had blue eyes, that were emphasized by the round glasses she wore. Her Doctor’s coat didn’t quite cover up the fact that she was very curvaceous and somewhat busty. She had on a crew-neck shirt under the coat. I could see that she had on a leather skirt and smokey hose.

“I’m Doctor Westerlain.”, she said in a melodious voice. “Doctor Thompkins thought that after your reaction to your new reality, that it might be best if someone else took over your rehabilitation… Someone that wasn’t involved previously.”

I looked at her. As I did, I could feel a tear roll down my cheek. Surprisingly, she reached into her coat pocket and produced a tissue, and wiped the tear away.

“I understand that things are rather traumatic for you. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like for me to wake up one day trapped in a new body, and certainly not one of the opposite gender.”, she said with a sympathetic smile. “But you have received a gift. You might not think it now, but it truly is. Without this surgery, you would be dead. You have the chance at a whole new life.”

I looked at her and tapped my finger repeatedly, tapping the two taps for “no” over and over.

She looked at me and gave me a smile. “There are worse things than being an 11 year old girl. I was one once. I survived it. And so can you. You can wallow in misery, or see it as a challenge. Your life isn’t over, it’s beginning a new chapter. You can go back to school, you can start a new life. Your possibilities are nearly endless.”

I sat there and took that in. She might be right about that, but still… I was a little girl. A crippled one, at that. Weak and helpless and blind as a bat.

Dr. Westerlain spoke up again, “I have an idea that will make things much easier for both of us. I will be right back.”

With that, she turned and left.

I sat and thought about my situation. Yes, I was an 11 year old girl, but I was alive. I don’t know if I’m okay with that, but as she said… I am alive. I couldn’t sigh too well due to my breathing tube, but I felt like doing so. It was then that the doctor returned. She had a bag slung over her shoulder, and she quickly wheeled over the table that sat in the corner. She opened up the bag, and pulled several things from it, and placed them on the table. She adjusted the table-arm, so that it fit over my lap. After that, she placed a small devise on it.

“This is a tablet that has been programmed to translate your finger taps from Morse code to English text.” She said, as she pulled something else from the bag. It was a stand that attached to the table. It had on it a copy of the alphabet, and the corresponding Morse code representations of each letter.

“With this, you should be able to communicate more effectively”, she said cheerfully. I tried the tablet, and it was frustrating, but after a while, I got the hang of it.

>Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuckity-fuck.<, I tapped.

She laughed and spoke. “Perfectly understandable, under the circumstances. Now that you can communicate, do you have any questions?”

I thought about it for a moment.

>What do I look like?<

She paused and looked me over before responding. “You are about 5 foot tall, maybe 85-90 Lbs, I’d estimate. A little on the thin side. Very pretty blue eyes. Your hair is just starting to grow back, but I would say it appears to be a dark brown, maybe black. Certainly very attractive for that age. Would you like to see?”, she asked cautiously.

>Yes<

She held up a hand mirror and I looked at it. I could see the face, If not for the bandages and breathing tubes and other apparatus attached, it might be cute. The nose was as dainty as I thought, based on my impression of seeing it from the corner of my vision. The eyes were big and wide open, expressing an innocence that the real me had lost long ago. I couldn’t tell much about my mouth, as the breathing tube covered it up. If I am to be stuck as a girl for the rest of my life though, it’s better to not be an ugly one, I guess?

“Now that we can communicate, I’m going to be honest with you. It will be tough. Physical therapy will be long and grueling. But If you put effort into it, you will be able to resume a normal life. The neurologists tell me that your nerves and muscles are in good shape, and there weren’t any issues with the surgery. So if you are willing to put in the work, you will be able to walk and talk and do everything that the average person can do.”, she said with a stern, but sincere tone.

Progress went slowly, but I was expecting that. It took me another month to get full use of my hands, but with that progress came the ability to type. I wasn’t exactly burning up the 45 WPM rate I used to be able to do, but could get by hunting and pecking.

Shortly after that Dr. Westerlain came with news. Based on my tests, I was strong enough to be taken of the ventilator, and be allowed to breath on my own now, with only an oxygen tube in my nose. Additionally, I could leave my room for short periods in a wheel chair to get fresh air. I was overjoyed, because I was understandably getting stir-crazy.

My first outing took me to the park across the street, it was late spring already, and it was warming up. I felt a little chill, as it was still slightly on the cool side. Dr. Westerlain carefully put a blanket over me, as I sat there and watched people come and go. There were children playing, and I watched as one little girl teased an older boy. They looked like siblings. I watched her having fun, and I realized that she was probably the same physical age as my body. She danced and spun around, joy evident on her face. I watched, and the tears came. After a little while of watching, I tapped at the tablet mounted to the arm of the chair.

>Take me back please<

We went back to my room, and after I was placed back in bed, I sat there thinking. I didn’t want to be a girl, but I wanted what that girl in the park had. Joy, laughter… life. I wanted my life back, even if it was not to be as ‘me’. For that, I would try to cope with my new reality.

A few more days passed. Dr. Westerlain... or as she recently advised me to call her… Heidi, was here and we were working on my conditioning. She would push against my hands and I had to try to push back. I was making slow progress. I was able to move my forearms a little,

“I was thinking”, she said. “Things are going well with your physical therapy. There is something else that needs working on though… something that might be more difficult. Have you given any thought to your future?”

I sighed, and swallowed. I knew that eventually I would have to face this. Since the procedure had been experimental, my healthcare and stay were being picked up by the hospital, various research groups, charities, and foundations. When I would be “healthy” enough to leave, I had nothing really to return to. I had no family, and since I had likely been declared dead, my full-ride scholarship and housing at the University were gone. I think that Heidi noticed my fear, because my hands were shaking.

She took them and held them and reassured me. “Don’t worry, we won’t just throw you out on the street when you are fit enough to leave. We will find a place for you, and methods of support. What I was referring to is your future. After all, a young girl named Thomas would draw attention. We can work on that, but I thought it might suit you to think about it now.”

After Heidi left, I sat there thinking about it. Who am I? Who was I? Who was she? There were so many things I didn’t know, and so many questions left unanswered.

The next day came, and I had questions. Many questions. Heidi was working on my legs, massaging the muscles and flexing and bending my knees. I typed a message for her, and then tapped on the talbe to get her attention.

>Who was she?<

Heidi looked at me, not quite following. I sighed.

>The body. Who was she?< I asked again.

Heidi sighed herself, and stopped working on my muscles for a moment. She moved over beside me, and sat down in a chair at bedside. “I wish I could tell you something. But due to legal reasons and privacy issues all that information has been sealed. I don’t have any access to the donor’s personal information. All they provided to us doctors is medical history. I can tell you that whoever she was, she died of a sudden brain aneurysm. It was most likely over pretty quickly, I doubt she would have suffered.”

I breathed out slowly. I suppose there is some solace in that, that she didn’t suffer. I felt guilty though. Having her body. Whoever she is, I hope she can find some peace. I shed a tear and said a silent prayer for her.

Heidi noticed my mood, and decided I needed some time to myself. I was grateful to her, and I sat in the darkness, musing on life and death. The enormity of it all was getting to me. Why was I saved? I looked down at my hands, gazing over my body, my flat chest, the shape of my legs as they lay covered by my bed sheet. Surely this girl was more deserving. But now I am this girl. There is no more me, there is no more her. We are both but ghosts… only I am cursed to walk the Earth, remembering what I once had. Maybe she was the fortunate one? I had no answers, and the fates would supply none.

I laughed, as a stray thought floated through my mind. John Lennon once said “Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.”

No truer words were spoken. I had a new life, and no plans. I knew no future for myself. I had no name, no identity, no purpose. Just a person who should not be.

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*

I think I agree. I've seen enough stories that go down that road, and they have been good.

This one could also ... but since Thomas was in college he (his mind) ought to be able to demonstrate emancipation-level mastery of the world. However, gainful employment might be a stumbling block. This new procedure was not a secret, so there should be no insurmountable problems proving that she was not actually an 11 year old.

I guess she could become a full time paid lab rat. But that could end badly. Unless she had some power over things.

Hmm,
T

I'll second that.

Had a very tough time growing up. Don't need to remember it.

Gwen

I believe that anyone would be confused.

being in a new body learning. She has some decisions to make. Name, maybe a birthday. Actually school may be good for her. learn to deal with certain aspects of life and growing up. Good story so far.

"I had likely been declared dead"

WillowD's picture

If this is legitimate research then he shouldn't be declared dead. I can see his heirs and the university, etc. challenging his identity. However, I can see some bureaucrats deciding to take the easy approach and pretending he's dead until proven otherwise.

Another question is will the legal system treat him as an adult or a minor. Will his education degrees be recognized? Does he even want people to know he used to be an adult male? Interesting questions.

I dunno

erin's picture

The people who would most likely be willing to do this kind of research are not necessarily in the same group that would have forethought about legal and moral implications.

Another point, all systems of identification in the world are predicated on bodily integrity, none are based on recognizing a brain.

But, in some places in the world, death is defined in part as the permanent and irreversible cessation of meaningful cerebral activity.

The question is complicated and complex. Either or both donor and donee could be declared dead.

But look at the title of the story: brain donor. The little girl has been given a donated brain, implying continuity of identity in her favor. By all recognized identity mechanisms in the world, she is still herself. And by most measures, she is still alive.

For the brain donor, though, there seems no way, in current law, for him to reclaim his identity. And removing the brain from a dying body would certainly count as permanent cessation of cerebral activity for that identifiable person.

He's dead. She is still herself. By current laws and established practices, that seems the only consistent conclusion. Should he be considered still alive and in possession of his own identity? Maybe, but it isn't a foregone conclusion. This kind of discussion actually went on after the first heart transplants.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I actually picked the title for the catchiness.

With "Brain Donor" being slang for an un-intellectual person... it's not a foregone conclusion What his/her legal identity will be. There will be court issues later on. But for now, Nobody outside the Mayo Clinic knows about Thomas, and the transplant.

Dr. Westerlain

i almost expected the good dr Heidi westerlain to reveal she was the little girls mother and later was the reason for the brain swap

Nope.

She's just his therapist.

I love it!

I am certain that the social and legal implications can be rather daunting but one should remember that this is often the case in most of these stories.

However "Miss Kincaid" has an extra curve ball to deal with.. the age factor. This alone can be a major obstacle even if the gender line was not crossed.

Keep up the good work! :)

Nice chapter

Amethyst's picture

I like how you're not rushing the story, and it's very well written and engaging so far Rose.

You used the name Heidi too :D

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

German Law

Monique S's picture

would most certainly follow erins's reasoning which means he would have no chance to claim his old identity. The only psssible outcome would be to become a " wonder child".

That would need some amazing ability to cope, though, unless we decide, that the hormonal state of the body (female puberty coming up) is going to seriously change the brain structure, which is - again - highly probable acording to recent research (see Dr. Hüther).

Monique.

Monique S

Reminds me of the story

written by Robert A. Heinlein "I shall fear no evil." One of the few mainstream TG style stories written by one of my favorite authors of all time, don't worry, they are no close enough to accuse you of plagiarism. And I do love your stories too. I mean that most sincerely.

I like the pacing too

Nyssa's picture

As several others have commented, I like how you're not instantly resolving major issues. Both the physical and emotional healing are being done a little at a time. Of course, the parts of his brain that know how to control the autonomic nervous system and its attendant body "parts" would not be programmed to control the new body, so unless it was a partial brain transplant... But it's a story and I really do like it so far. I do hope it gets a little more positive for "Thomas" or whatever her name will be.

Where are the girl's parents?

Jamie Lee's picture

The question remains as to who gave permission to use the girl's body for this procedure? Is she a orphan? A foster child? Or are her parents alive? Or was the responsible person(s) approached about using the girl's body for this experiment?

Thomas is going to need more than physical therapy when she can leave the hospital. She may be 11-years-old now physically, but she mentally older. And is going to find it difficult to act like a girl her age. Or be interested in things as girls her age. Thomas will have to regress mentally to that of a girl that age or she will be shunned by others that age.

And going back to school because she's 11, it will be boring for Thomas. And if it's discovered the girl now has the brain of an adult man? Talk about parents screaming their heads off.

The doctors screwed up in one sense. They didn't know if the procedure would be successful, true. But they should have made plans just in case they succeed so they had a place for her to live and someone to care for her. Working on that after the fact is much too late to help keep Thomas calm.

Others have feelings too.

Celebrity

laika's picture

Maybe I'm getting way ahead of the story but I'm thinking a person like her would be pretty newsworthy, Which could be a nightmare of having to begin her new life with no privacy, a public spectacle; but also could be a way to keep a roof over her head. The talk-show circuit, a book, etc...

But I guess for now it's all about learning to walk + feed herself again.
I too am enjoying the pace of this, the nuts-and-bolts realism.
~hugs, Veronica