Police Academy Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

Angelo and Katlain end up at a place called Queen's Head Tavern. It was an old-style tavern that dated back to the ’60s. It was one of the last remaining old-style taverns’ that hadn’t been turned into a modern tavern.

“Man, this place brings back some memories from my childhood.” Angelo exists from the SUV.

“You’re not the only one. My father uses to go to places like this.” Katlain exits as well.

Angelo follows behind Katlain as she walks in first. The lighting in the tavern was low and there were about twenty people in the bar total. She spots Rodney Holt at the end of the bar, working on paperwork.

Katlain walks towards Robert Holt, watching him. She knew that he knew they were there. She also spotted several hidden cameras, watching the area. She figures that is how he covers his ass, in order to keep the police from charging him.

Once she and Angelo stop near Mr. Holt “excuse me Mister Holt, I would like to ask you a few questions.”

Robert looks up at the young woman standing near him. He didn’t recognize her, and she didn’t have that stance most police did about her.
However, the man following her, he could tell he was a police officer. He had that stance that police develop over the years.

“And you would be, Mrs.?” Robert looks at Katlain.

“Detective Zane and this is my partner, Detective Johnson.”

“Well, detective Zane, what questions would you like answers to?” Holt watches Katlain.

“Do you know this person?” Katlain shows a picture of Mr. Tandem.

Mr. Holt looks at the picture and knows him. He looks at Katlain and Angelo “yeah, I know him. He comes into the bar occasionally. Did something happen to him?”

“Yes, he and his girlfriend were found murdered. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, now would you? Katlain watches Robert Holt.

Robert Holt looks directly at Angelo and Katlain “now why would I know anything about what happened to him?”

“Because there are rumors that he owed you a lot of money.” Angelo had been quiet, just letting Katlain speak to Robert Holt.

“I don’t know where you might have gotten that information, but I don’t loan money out to people.”

Katlain spotted that lie for what it was worth. He was lying “so, you never loaned money out to anyone? The problem is, I don’t believe you at all. The word out on the street is, you’re a bookie and a loan shark.”

“Who did you hear that rumor from?” Robert searches Katlain’s face for an answer.

“Freddy Harris over at the sports shack. He said he has heard your name come up several times among some of his regulars.”

“Well, he’s lying. I’m an honest businessman. Why would I jeopardize my business license like that?” Robert wonders who Freddy Harris was and how did he know what he did.

“I don’t know, you tell me.” Katlain saw that Robert was confused about who the person she mentions was.

Freddy Harris was a made-up person she created off the top of her head to trick him. She wonders if he is going to take the bite.

“I told you, I have no idea.”

“Well he knows you pretty well and he said that Mr. Tandem owed you at least $60,000 dollars and that you wanted the money now.”

“I think its time you two leave.” Robert was starting to get pissed.

“No problem. Should you think of anything else, you can reach me at this number.” Katlain leaves her business card on the counter near Mr.
Holt’s paperwork.

Robert just watches as she lays it down. He’ll look at it later after he makes a few calls. He watches as Katlain and Angelo walks out of the tavern.

Katlain turns and starts walking towards the front door. She was taken it slow on purpose. Once she and Angelo were outside “he knew who
we were talking about.”

“I noticed. He got nervous when you started talking about that Harris person. By the way, who is he?” Angelo looks at Katlain.

“Someone I made up. The thing is, Mr. Holt doesn’t know I made him up.”

“Oh, you don’t play fair.” Angelo starts the SUV up and heads back to the police precinct.

When they get back to the precinct, their sergeant was there. They head directly to her office.

“We might have a lead on the killer. Rumors have it, that a person by the name of Robert Holt hired a hitman to take Mr. Tandem out. He owed Mr. Holt $60,000 dollars in gambling debts.”

“Can you prove this, Katlain?” Hudson watches Katlain and Angelo.

“That’s what we are working on now, boss.”

“Good, do whatever you need to do to get the evidence, but stay inside the law.” Hudson didn’t want her people breaking the law. They could
bend it, but not break it.

“Gotcha boss.” Katlain drags Angelo with her as she heads back towards the door to their section.

“Where are we going?” Angelo was curious about what Katlain was doing.

“Catching us a killer. However, before we do anything else, we need to go in my car so I can grab a few items.”

Katlain heads out to her car and pops the trunk. She finds the black case she was looking for and pop it open. It held her listening bugs and cellphone scanner.

Angelo was looking into Katlain’s trunk when he noticed a black gym bag and a few black hard cases. He was curious what she had in the gym bag.

“What’s in the gym bag?”

“My vest, and my spare guns.” Katlain figures it wouldn’t be a problem, now that she was a police officer.

“How many guns do you have?”

“Enough, for whatever I need them for.” Katlain closes the case she had to take it out of her trunk.

She closes the trunk and makes sure it is locked tight. Once she was ready “let’s go and get the evidence we need to bust Holt.”

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really like this story.

WillowD's picture

And I'm glad the story continued after the corruption at the Police Academy was dealt with.

Katlin knows

Samantha Heart's picture

How to get info as a former car theaf & criminal she knows her way arround things to just skirt the letter of the law. She may not EXACTLY break the law but play with in the gray areas just enoush to be leagle, just bailey lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Someone out of the ordinary

Jamie Lee's picture

Angelo seem a might confused with Katlain. Becoming a detective before being a patrol officer and now wondering why she carried so much hardware. Hopefully his curiosity doesn't cause them problems with their current case.

Others have feelings too.