Running Scared~8

Printer-friendly version


I looked around and my heart went into my mouth as standing there, at least six foot tall in his regulation issue socks and looking very menacing, was a policeman...



Running Scared

by
Susan Brown


Chapter 8


Previously...

We finished off our drinks and then left the warmth of the café and walked along the quayside. The consensus was that we would have chips and maybe fish later but Sarah said that we should go and see if Samantha was in her gallery.

I had the dubious job of pushing Stephanie’s wheelchair. She couldn’t use the crutches very well as Penmarris was all hills. I think that it was just an excuse though, lazy cow!

The gallery was at the end of the quay, next to the pottery shop owned by Abby. Samantha’s partner. We were just about to go into the gallery when there was a shout from behind.

‘Hey, you lot!’

And now the story continues...

I looked around and my heart went into my mouth as standing there, at least six foot tall in his regulation issue socks and looking very menacing, was a policeman.

He was tall, very tall. He looked like he was a rugby player, as he was stocky but not fat, all muscle by the look of him and he scared the living daylights out of me. I looked at my sister Amelia and I could see that he was having the same effect on her.

He walked over to us. We must have looked guilty. I know I did, even though Amelia and I were as clean and innocent as the driven snow. That is if you discount the fact that we were on the run from the police, MI5, MI6 and any other alphabet spaghetti you could think of.

He walked over, I swear his stride was twice the length of mine, even in high heels. That’s me in high heels, not him. I mean if I was wearing high heels, which I wasn’t… I was being silly, I know I was but I did have silly thoughts at embarrassing moments. I can remember a time when I wet myself in nursery. Now that was silly and embarrassing and all I could do was sing a song that Mum loved from a film I can’t remember, oh yes, Singin’ in the Rain.

‘’Ello, ‘ello ‘ello, what have we here then?’ asked the policeman.

I think that was what he said because he talked with a broad Devonian accent full of clotted cream. He seriously needed subtitles.

‘Hello Hector,’ said Sarah.

‘Don’t you go calling me ‘Ector when I’m on duty young Sarah.’

‘Sorry Inspector.’

‘And don’t be cheeky or I’ll tell your ma.’

‘Sorry constable.’

‘That’s better. Now as I say, what have we ‘ere then?’

He was looking pointedly at Amelia and me. I swear that he knew that we were effectively runaways from the authorities and that I wasn’t who I seemed, ie a boy in girls clothes. I mean a physically a boy but in my heart of hearts a girl. I mean…oh hell, you know what I mean. Give me a break, I was stressed!

‘Oh,’ said Stephanie, ‘these are my cousins Amelia and Emma.’

‘Hmm,’ he said his eyes now on Steph, ‘Stephanie isn’t it? Not seen you hereabouts for a while.’

‘Yea, been busy.’

He looked at her leg.

‘What happened there then?’

‘Fell off my horse.’

‘Damn’ silly thing to do.’

‘So Mummy said.’

He suddenly looked at me. Talk about piercing eyes.

‘Staying long?’

‘I…I don't know officer.’

‘Well take it from me, if you do the complete opposite of what Sarah and Stephanie say, you won't go far wrong.’

With that, he laughed as if he said some sort of incredibly funny joke and then with a nod he went off.

‘Phew,’ I said, sitting down on a bench.

‘What’s up?’ asked Sarah.

‘I thought that we were done for there. He looked at me as if he knew all about me. I expected him to grab his handcuffs, zap me and sis with his taser and take us into custody and throw away the key.’

‘Blimey, you have a bit of an imagination there. The last time Hector arrested anyone was when old Percival Potts had too much to drink after a session at the Toad and Tart and ran about naked singing I’m a Little Teapot Short and Stout.’

I felt a bit better. I would have to get over thoughts that everyone was out to get me and Amelia. I would become paranoid soon…

‘Anyway,’ said Sarah, ‘anyone fancy a bag of chips?’

Everyone agreed and we made our way over to the fish and chip shop. The smells coming from there were mouthwatering and should carry a government health warning. There was a sign on the door that said that haddock was off, but I didn't mind as we only wanted chips.

We all piled in and Sarah did the ordering. She did seem to like taking charge, that one!

‘Bag of chips all round please Grace.’

The girl behind the counter smiled and completes the order in quick time.

‘Any callouts lately?’ asked Sarah.

‘Not since last week. Silly bugger went out on an inflatable dinghy. I ask you, in Winter, peein’ down with rain and enough wind to blow the skin off cold custard.’

‘Mad,’ agreed Sarah.

We collected our bags of piping hot chips, salted and vinegared of course, and we were off, sitting on the benches down by the quay.

‘What was that about Grace?’ asked Amelia, blowing on a chip.

‘She’s the coxswain of the RNLI lifeboat.’

‘Wow, she’s a bit young for that isn’t she?’

‘Her Dad and Grandad were coxswains before her. It’s a bit of a family tradition. It helps that she works down at the harbour. She’s closest to being on call most of the time and she lives over the shop.’

‘I would love to live over a fish and chip shop,’ mumbled Amelia dreamily, her mouth half full.

We all laughed.

I don't think that I’ve mentioned it yet, but the quay, harbour and village were heavily into the Christmas season. There were Christmas lighting everywhere; on the cottages in the village and all the shops. It was very festive. A big tree was up over on one side of the quay, covered in lights and something was being put together beyond that. It looked like some sort of framework with a tarpaulin inside it. I was going to ask Sarah what it was but got distracted by the thought that this was going to be our first Christmas without Daddy. I wondered for the hundredth time where he was and whether he was safe. I missed him so much, I could cry.

Then I was put off my rather gloomy thoughts, as I was suddenly divebombed by a seagull who pinched the chip out of my fingers, just as it was going into my mouth!

Everyone thought it was hilarious, except me!

~*~

After feeding our faces and trying to avoid the attentions of hungry seagulls, we continued along the quay until we reached the pottery and gallery. The pottery had several people in it watching a lady throwing a pot and making the lump of clay into something that looked like a vase. She was talking to the people watching and they were all laughing at what she was saying. She was rather pretty and I could see that she was very popular. Also, she was heavily pregnant and her tummy was sticking out in such a way that I didn’t know how she could cope with the wheel thingie.

‘That’s Abby, she’s nice and her and Samantha are great friends of Mummy,’ Said Sarah.

‘Samantha?’ I asked, ‘oh yes, you said, Abby’s partner.’

‘Yes, that’s right. They are getting married in spring next year after the sprog pops out and Sam has an operation to correct her plumbing. Sam owns the gallery and she paints fantastic landscapes and portraits. Let's go and see her.’
I didn’t particularly want to know about operations as I knew at some stage when I was older, I would have an operation to correct my male defect. I was a bit of a wimp about all things medical and I hated the sight of blood, particularly my own; and don’t get me started about dentists... I wasn’t a hypochondriac, but even they get it right occasionally don’t they?

‘Samantha, she’s the one who owns a little boat isn’t she?’ asked Amelia.

The girls laughed for some reason.

‘That’s right,’ said Steph, giggling.

‘What so funny,’ asked Amelia who was in one of her moods all of a sudden. She hated not being in on the joke whatever that was. I, being more mature, didn’t mind…much.

‘You’ll see,’ said Jen, grinning.

I wished I knew what was so funny. I was getting as peeved as Amelia!

The gallery had lots of paintings in the window and they all looked rather nice. I particularly liked the one of the cove. It was a Christmas scene and it was early evening. The who place seemed festooned with brightly coloured lights and off to the side was a huge Christmas Tree and beyond that, an outdoor ice rink with lots of kids skating around, in scarves and gloves having a great time. I now knew what the construction was near the Christmas tree, an ice rink! Wow, golly, gosh, I would love to try that! I had never skated in my life, but I had a sudden dream of me gliding along, doing spins wearing an incredibly short ice skating dress and looking ever so professional…

Who was I kidding I would land on my bum more often than be on my feet. Having too left feet doesn’t help.

‘Come on, you lot, let's go in.’ said Phillipa, ‘we might get some hot chocolate!’

That sounded okay to me and judging by the enthusiastic response from the others, I think that they agreed!

The door made a ding-dong noise as we walked in with me leading up the rear, pushing Steph’s wheelchair. I was getting fed up with the flaming thing. I think that Steph liked the idea of being pushed around. Penmarris was hilly and not very pushchair friendly. I had uncharitable thoughts of accidentally pushing the thing, with her in it, into the harbour, just to see if she sank or swam. Then I felt guilty, I wasn’t that kind of girl…I think.

I giggled at the thought and Amelia looked at me strangely.

Someone came out of the back. She looked at us all and raised her eyebrows, questioningly.

She was so lovely and she had such a sunny smile that the gallery seemed to light up with her personality.

‘This must by Samantha,’ I thought,’ 'she and Abby are well suited’.

I so wished that I could look as glamorous as that. But, for some strange, unaccountable reason, I was still considered to be a child and I would have to wait and dream that I could actually turn out looking like her.

I sighed. I was doing rather a lot of that lately.

‘What’s this then, some sort of school trip?’ asked Samantha, smiling.

‘Don’t be silly Sam,’ replied Sarah, ‘we just came to see how you were.’

‘Oh, so it wasn’t anything to do with hot chocolate and hobnob biscuits then?’

‘If you’re offering…’

‘Hmmm. Okay Sarah, you know where the stuff is.’

Sarah grumbled something about forced labour.

‘Go and help her Jen and Pippa.’

The girls went into the backroom giggling and that just left Steph, Amelia and me.

‘Well Stephanie, you’ve been through the wars a bit.’

‘Fell off my horse.’

‘I hope that the horse is all right.’

She’s okay, I busted my leg.’

‘Nasty. On the mend?’

‘Yes, I think so.’

‘Good. Well, aren’t you going to introduce me…’

‘Oh yea, sorry this is Jen…I mean Emma and Amelia.’

‘Hello Emma and Amelia. Dotty told me and Abby about you two. No need to worry, we are all one big sometimes happy family and we all look out for each other. If ever you need to talk, just come and see me. Sometimes it helps, believe me, it does.’

I was initially a bit shocked to know that other people knew about our plight but instinctively knew that Samantha was telling the truth and that I had nothing to worry about with her and Abby. Mind you, I was surprised that the jungle grapevine hadn’t reached the ears of PC Harold.

‘Thanks,’ I replied quietly.

I wondered if she knew the whole truth about me, probably not. It wasn’t something that I wanted bandied about. I didn’t fancy rejection. Would a normal boy ever think that he’s a girl? I think not. But there again I wasn’t normal. What’s normal anyway?

I sighed about getting myself in mental knots again. I would have to stop that or I might get carted off to a nice padded cell wearing the latest fashion in straight jackets. Did they do them in pink...?

‘So, girls, how do you like the village?’

‘It's nice,’ said Amelia, ‘everyone’s friendly, even the plod.’

‘Plod, oh you mean Harold, yes he’s nice. He’s what I call a traditional no-frills policeman. He suits the village and the village suits him. Evidently, before I came here, there used to be a policeman who did everything by the book, I mean, for example, book anyone who parked in the wrong place, dropped litter and spoke back to him. Dotty, that’s Lady Fairbairn, had a word with the police commissioner and he was pulled out and replaced by Harold.’

‘Wow, ‘I said, ‘Lady Fairbairn seems to have a lot of power.’

‘You don't know the half of it, but she’s a sweetie. Anyway, is that hot chocolate I see coming through the door?’

Yes, it was and we were all soon sipping the lovely hot velvety drink and dunking biscuits. If you never dunked, try it, but be careful about dunking for too long as you might get a soggy bickie situation where you have to fish the biscuit out with a spoon.

‘Samantha,’ asked Sarah as she blew on her drink.

“Mmm?’

‘Emma and Amelia would like to go on your little boat.’

‘Litt…oh right, it’s a bit cold though.’

‘They don’t mind.’

I did really, I didn’t fancy bobbing about on the high seas, worrying about capsizing in some tiny thing. But I didn’t want to rock the boat. Get it, rock the boat? Never mind.

Samantha looked at Amelia and me with a slight smile playing on her lips. What was so funny? Mind you, it might just be an innocent smile. She did seem to smile a lot…

‘I’ll make a phone call.’

‘Its no trouble,’ I said in desperation, not wanting to end up in a watery grave.

‘Don’t fret, its no trouble at all. It will be my pleasure.’

Without further ado, she went into her office and shut the door.

The others had gone over to look at the paintings so Amelia and I went over to join them, more to take my mind off my impending drowning rather than anything else.

There were all sorts of paintings and I could see that there was a lot of talent in Penmarris. It surprised me to learn that many of them were painted by Samantha. She had a real talent and I wished that I had some sort of gift like that. I could draw matchstick men at a pinch, but that was the limit to my expertise.

I was looking at a particularly nice, bright, colourful painting of what I took to be the cove at Penmarris, taken from the cliffs when I heard Samantha talking quietly to Sarah, who had a wicked grin on her face. I didn’t trust Sarah, she was the sort of girl who liked to play tricks, in my opinion. There again, I have a suspicious nature, especially after all that had happened lately!

Sam went back to her office to answer a phone call and Sarah came over to me.

‘Right, ready for the little boat ride?’

‘I think a storm is brewing,’ I replied.

‘Rubbish, the sky is blue and the sea is as calm as it ever will be. Scared are we?’

‘I’m not scared.’ I replied hotly, I’m worried that Amelia might get seasick.’

‘I don't get seasick,’ said Amelia unhelpfully.

I looked daggers at her, but she didn’t seem to notice.

Sarah started to make squawking noises and flapped her arms like wings.

‘I am not chicken,’ I said.

The others were looking at me and I felt like a deer or was that a chicken caught in a car’s headlights.

‘Ok, I can’t swim, are you all happy now?’

I rushed out of the gallery and ran over to the quayside and sat down on a bench. I was crying for some reason. I seemed to get very emotional lately and I didn’t know why. There was no shame in being a non-swimmer. I had an accident in the swimming pool once when having a swimming lesson. One of the kids pushed me in and I went under. I thought that I would drown and I went under a few times before the lifeguard pulled me out.

Why was I crying? At least as a girl, crying wasn’t seen as something to be scorned at or be ashamed of.

I sensed someone sitting next to me and then I felt someone putting an arm around my shoulders.

‘Don’t cry.’

It was Samantha.

She pulled me into a gentle hug and that made me cry even more. I sobbed. It wasn’t about Sarah and the others having a go at me. They were only playing with me, I knew that. It was because everything was getting on top of me. I couldn’t be like Amelia. She seemed to go through the world without worrying about things. Maybe that wasn’t fair as I knew that she was worried about Daddy.

I had no idea where the others were and to be honest, I didn’t care. I was wound up in my own misery. Everything that had happened since the car chase had seemed somehow a bit unreal.

My father was a wanted man. My sister on I were on the run. I constantly worried about being caught. Then I was worried about being seen as a boy in girls clothing. No matter what everyone said about how I didn’t look anything like a boy. Penmarris seemed like a magical place with weird, quirky but nice characters, but I didn’t know everyone so would I ever feel safe?

One minute I was happy the next minute sad and worried. Was I going mad?

Sam was talking to me and I began to take in what she was saying.

‘…Don't blame you for being upset. What you and Amelia have been going through would upset anyone. But we are all here for you and you are among friends. When I came down here, I was in a hell of a state, one day I’ll tell you the story, but one thing for sure is that Penmarris is almost magical and if I could pull through the fug that I was in, I’m sure you can. Now, you don't have to go on a silly boat ride if you don't want to.’

I pulled away from her and looked at her kind face. I could see why she was so popular, there was a genuine niceness about her that couldn’t be faked.

‘I can’t swim.’

‘That doesn’t matter. I promise that you will be safe. Look I’ll go with you. Would that help?’

I nodded.

She handed me a tissue.

‘That’s the spirit, now wipe those eyes carefully, you don't want to have the panda look, it isn’t in this year!’

I laughed.

The others joined us, Sarah looking sheepish.

‘Sorry,’ she said, hugging me, ‘I sometimes go a bit overboard…oh God, I didn’t mean that, I mean, over the top!’

I giggled, maybe I was feeling a bit better!

~*~

We walked along the quay with Samantha holding one hand and Amelia the other. I think that she was a bit apprehensive herself about this boat thing.

Steph in her pushchair – sorry wheelchair, was being wheeled along by Phillipa who was complaining bitterly about how heavy it was. Steph looked happy. She really seemed to like being ferried about and was milking her injury for all it was worth. I was just glad that I wasn’t doing the pushing this time.

‘I’m not heavy!’ said Steph.

‘Yes you are, too many cakes if you ask me!’

‘No one was.’

‘Humph.’

I smiled. I was still worried about the boat thing, but I was sure that Samantha wouldn’t put me in danger. We passed several steps leading down to the water. At the bottom of a couple of the steps were some small boats bobbing about as boats do. In the distance at the end of the quay was that huge yacht and I wondered who owned it. I could see some people on the boat, ship, whatever. It seemed to have a big crew. I bet it cost a bomb to run it. I wondered what it was doing there. It would have looked more in place at Cannes or Saint-Tropez.

We carried on walking along the quay, passing a few people who nodded or said hello. There were a few hardy souls fishing from the quay, all wrapped up against the rather chilly December weather.

Still, we didn’t stop and go down the steps.

We were getting ever closer to the big yacht. It seemed even bigger the nearer we got to it.

The girls couldn’t stop giggling. I didn’t know what was so funny. Amelia looked at me and shrugged, implying that she thought that they were all slightly loopy. I was beginning to think that there was something in the water around there.

Samantha squeezed my hand.

‘Are you okay?’

‘I am, I don’t know about the others.’

She smiled but said nothing.

Sarah went to another set of steps and looked down. Everybody followed her. My grip on Samantha's hand made her yelp a little.

‘Sorry,’ I mumbled.

There at the bottom was a small boat, a very small boat, an extremely small boat. It bobbed about and I felt seasick without going anywhere near it.

‘Erm, are we going in that?’ asked Amelia.

Even she seemed nervous so my impending panic attack was probably justified.

Sarah didn’t say anything but just walked down the steps and stepped into the minuscule boat. I couldn’t see any life jackets. Why were there no life jackets? Even the poor passengers on the Titanic had life jackets…

Sarah jumped up and down, making the boat rock alarmingly. She had a wicked grin on her face.

‘Sarah,’ said Samantha, ‘enough.’

Sarah looked guilty and then sheepishly got out of the boat.

Climbing the stairs, she looked at Amelia and me and mouthed, ‘sorry,’ then she went on ahead and joined the other kids who were giggling away. I wished that I was in on the joke.

I still hadn’t a clue as to what was going on. I knew that Sarah had a weird sense of humour, but this was on another level.

‘Don’t worry,’ said Samantha, ‘let them have their fun, all will be revealed soon and I promise, it's not that bad!’

I sighed, wishing that I had a normal life. I was getting a bit fed up with all this cloak and dagger stuff.

We continued on and eventually we arrived at the humungous yacht that looked even bigger up close.

It was decked out in Christmas lights and it looked very erm, Christmassy. I was sure when it was dark that it would look very pretty. All the chrome and brasswork shined brightly and it looked pretty spick and span as they say in naval circles.

There was a man in a sort of sailors uniform looking down at us from the poop deck or whatever its called. Poop deck, that sounds a bit rude. I may have got my terminology wrong as I don’t know a stem from a stern or port from starboard for that matter.

All of a sudden, two lady sailor types arrived at the side at a run, opened a gate in the railings, pushed out a gangway thingie and it landed with a thunk just in front of us.

Sarah and the gang calmly walked, or in the case of Steph, wheeled up the gangway, giggling like maniacs.

‘Go on up,’ said Samantha to Amelia and me.

‘Erm,’ said Amelia, ‘won't we get told off?’

‘Why,’ asked Samantha.

‘Well it’s trespassing, isn’t it?’

‘No, its mine.’

‘What's yours?’

‘The little boat,’ replied Samantha laughing.

‘Bloody hell.’ I said as the penny or would that be the anchor finally dropped in my brain.

Amelia looked speechless and I was just numb. Now I knew why they had all been laughing!

I walked up the gangway closely followed by Amelia with Samantha bringing up the rear.

When we reached the top, there was a man there wearing a captains uniform. The other girls had disappeared somewhere.

The captain saluted Samantha and smiled. His teeth were so bright, I blinked at the glare.

‘Nice to see you ma’am,’ he said.

‘I keep telling you James, call me Samantha. Ma’am makes me feel old. Now, this is Emma and Amelia. Could you give them the tour of the bridge?

‘Certainly, young ladies, follow me.’

We walked along the deck, peering into cabins and other larger rooms as we went. It was all so luxurious. I didn’t know how many cows had died to make all that leather seating but it must have been quite a lot!

Samantha had disappeared somewhere and I wondered just how rich she was. Maybe running a gallery and painting pictures made tons of money? I hadn’t a clue but I was very impressed by what I was seeing.

The captain was speaking to Amelia.

‘…Sunseeker 171 Luxury yacht. Powered by twin MTU 12V4000's M90's, rated at 2736 hp each, she will cruise at 21 knots and top-out at 23 knots…guest cabins, peninsular beds …main deck saloon…luxurious… state of the art entertainment systems… bla bla bla…’

It all went over my head. I could see that this was a millionaires dream. It must have cost a fortune to buy and even more of a fortune to run. Samantha, who would have thought?

We arrived at the wheelhouse, I knew it was that as it had a steering wheel, lots of dials, knobs, buttons and computer screens. I did wonder if I had wandered into a space launch room, but no, this was a ship. I was being silly, as usual.

All the gang were in there, including Samantha, who was now talking to Captain Caveman. After a whispered conversation, the captain came over and gave Amelia and me a coe-turling… I mean a toe-curling smile.

Why was my tummy going all squishy, was I coming down with something?

‘Well girls, would you like to help me?’

We both nodded in perfect unison.

There was a big red button on the bank of dials, thingies and whatchamacallits in front of the steering wheel.

‘Well, would you both like to press that button?’

He gave us another thousand-kilowatt smile, lighting up the cabin making my squishy feeling go into overdrive.

Amelia, who was grinning, and I looked at each other and then put one of our hands over the button and pushed down on it…

To be continued..?

Please leave comments and let me know if you want this to continue. I know that updates have been a bit irregular, but real life seems to be getting in the way at the moment! Oh, and if you can, please do the kudo-thingie...thanks! ~Sue

up
347 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful story,

Nothing quite like ' mucking around in boats ' ,especially in Penmarris !!

Continue?

We must all find out what happens when they press the big button ^_~

You do know of course this is a bad time of the year to fall into the harbor.

Let Me Guess...

The horn?

Great fun, the Penmarris sagas!

Today is a good day.

Susan, thank you for adding a chapter to this most interesting story. Any day you take your readers back to Penmarris through your writing, is a good day indeed. I hope things are going well for you now, and that Christmas will be a happy time for you and yours.

Please do continue this story or any of your other stories not yet complete

Haddock

Every time we visit Penmarris with you the haddock is off.

The big button is the horn and one heck of a horn it is. They will probably need a change of underwear afterwards.
Jo

Running Scared

Love it!
I can see the look in their faces when they see the leaky tub first lol
Thanks Susan. Your stories are wonderful
Merry Xmas

Glad I am to see

this story continue. It is interesting to how rich Sam really is. Poor Jennifer / Emily being put through the wringer again. I find I get behind in my reading due to the stroke slowing me down, and RL issues. Thank you for your writing on this and other stories.

Name Confusion (again)

RobertaME's picture

‘You’ll see,’ said Jocasta, grinning.

Is that supposed to be Jen, Jocasta's daughter? I also noted a name confusion in a previous chapter. (Steph refered to twice as Samantha... I left a comment about it) I know keeping names straight while writing can be a pain. In my own 'mule puke' that I laughingly call writing, I have to use a character table to keep my names straight. Otherwise I'd end up more confused than the people who read my junk. (which would be nobody because I'm too chicken to put it out there to read... you're a braver woman than I!)

It looks now like this story is taking place around the same time as the previous Penmarris stories... so the early to mid 2010s? (I base that off the fact that Abby is still pregnant with Gabi... or could this be yet another baby on the way?) It would help to have a few temporal markers mixed in with the story, otherwise it gets rather confusing trying to put it in the right order of events. Other than that the story is wonderful and I cannot wait to see what happens next! Please don't keep us in suspense too long!

Sunseeker yachts

Angharad's picture

Just down the road a bit from here at Poole, I think they may do some work on them at Weymouth or Portland because we get these humungous lorries with escort vehicles carrying bits of boat on them. Samantha must be wealthy if she has a Sunseeker.

Angharad