Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *14*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 14*
Doubts

 

"That everything?” Dieter enquired when I plonked my bags down with the rest outside of the breakfast room.
"Yup,” I blearily allowed.
"Come on Gab,” Mand called out, “porridge is going cold.”
"Urgh,” just what I need, a bowl of glutinous oats.

The others were already making inroads into their breakfasts, guess who got halfway downstairs without her sports bra and had to go back and dress herself? I was distracted alright? Outside the windows it looked fairly grey again, the forecast is apparently similar to yesterday, hopefully not too windy mind – that big climb could be nasty otherwise.

"You not eating Gab?” Ron queried.
"Er yeah,” I re-engaged my brain and selected eat.

Around me the rest of Team Apollinaris were chatting and eating, that’s usually me too but today, well its a fairly serious days racing ahead of us, there are several tough, open climbs culminating in that Rosedale monster. Its something quite serious, a hundred kilometres of leg sapping Yorkshire lanes – my lead isn’t huge and a decent break could take the prize away. No, today’s going to be a hard day, I just hope Dad’s read it right.
 

We departed The Moorings for the last time this weekend – we’ll be heading straight to the ferry after the race, and started the journey to Kirkbymoorside, today's HQ.

"Quiet kiddo.” Dad opined.
"Hmm, just thinking, it’s gonna be a hard race today.”
"I expect so, you’ve ridden harder,” he suggested.
I shrugged, "Maybe but not the day after another big race.”
"What about Switzerland?”
"We’d been riding hard all summer,” I pointed out, "We must’ve been fitter.”
"You’ve got good form, you’ve all got good form, remember its no different for the rest.”
"I guess.”
"Look kiddo, yes its going to be a tough ride, I'll not say otherwise but you guys are the best, you’re winners, this morning its Team GB and the divisional teams who’re on the back foot, they’ve got to bring the race to us and they know it.”
Well I can’t argue that, but that means we’ve got to police things.
"But...”
"We talked about this last night spud, the only thing that can beat you from contesting things is you. You’re team mates believe in you, I believe in you, now you need to do the same.”

I sighed, it might’ve been intended as a pep talk but now I felt under even more pressure.
 

"Hello?”
"Max?” I pushed the bedroom door quietly shut.
"Gab? Where are you, what’s with the whispering?”
"Some place called Kirkbymoorside,” I supplied, "Just getting ready for the race.”
"How’s it going?”
"Okay I guess, I've got the leaders jersey, another hundred kilometres and its mine maybe.”
"I don’t know how you ride that far, so what’s with the call?”
What indeed, I feel…. well I I'm not sure what it is I feel.

"Just wanted to hear your voice.”
"Really?”
"Of course, I er missyou.”
"Whatcha say?”
"I miss you,” I repeated quietly.
"Miss you too, you’ll be back tomorrow though right?”
“’Bout lunch I think.”
"So what’s up?”
"Just needed to hear a friendly voice.”
"I have my uses then.”
"Of course you do,” I agreed with the beginnings of a smile.
"That sounds more like my girlfriend.”
"Girlfriend?”
"You are aren’t you?, I mean we like kiss and stuff.”

Hmm, stuff, the smile became a full on grin.

"You still there Gab?”
"Uh huh,” I allowed, "Just thinking about ‘stuff’.”
"Huh! You only want me for my body.”
"Its a nice body.”
"Gab! You ready yet?” Tal queried from outside.
"Er almost,” I called back.
"You’re dad wants you,”
"Okay!”
"Who was that?” Max asked.
"Just Tali, apparently I'm wanted outside.”
"You’d best go then.”
"Don’t want to.”
“For me?”
"Hmm.”
"See you tomorrow?” Max suggested.
"Now that’s something to look forward to Maxxie, the vineyard?”
"Maybe, oh and you’d better have the trophy or whatever it is.”
"Gab!”
"Coming!” I called back.
"You’d best go, good luck with the race liebchen.”
I made kissy noises into my Handy, "Later honeybunch.”
"Bye!”
"Tschussie!”

Max closed the call, I looked at my phone and let out a sigh.

 
"About time,” Dad mentioned as I joined the others under the Ezy-up.
"Er sorry.”
"Someone looks happy,” Ron observed.
"Can’t a girl be happy?”
"Happy or not we’ve got a race to win,” Gret noted.
"Okay people, apparently its a stiff breeze up over the moors so that first climb might be quite tough but at least the ride over Wheeldale is a little more sheltered.”
"We sticking to the plan like?” our Toon queried.
"I think so Josh, it’ll be the same for everyone after all. The feed is after you turn in Pickering, there’s a level crossing and a stiff little climb straight after – I've spoken with the organisers, you won’t be penalised if you drop musettes out of the zone but try to at least not throw them too far off the road?”
"Can we get bottles later?” Mand asked.
"There might be a chance before you drop into Rosedale but don’t bet on it,” he advised. "Any more questions?”

We all looked at each other.

"Er,” I started, "Do you think this lippy goes with my hair?”
"Gaa-ab!” everyone moaned.

 
"Hey everyone,” Caro greeted catching us we packed pockets with goodies, checked numbers and generally prepared to head to the presentation.
"Heya Caroline,” I allowed.
"Just wanted to wish you guys good luck, you’ve really shown the locals a thing or two.”
"Er thanks,” Mand opined.
"See you all later.”
"Later” I agreed.
"Whit wa that aboot?” Josh queried.
"No idea,” I admitted, "Definitely weird.”

 
"And lastly here’s our race leader, Gabrielle Bond!” the MC announced stepping past Josh.

I did the smile and wave at the small gathering in front of the ‘stage’.

"So Gabrielle, day three, still in the leaders jersey.”
"Er yeah.”
"A tough day yesterday but tougher today?”
I had to pull the mic a bit closer to avoid getting an eyeful, "It certainly looks tough on the profile especially that last berg.”
"You’re referring to Rosedale Chimney of course, the one in three penultimate climb?”
"Ja, I think maybe some will be walking there.”
"You think that will decide the race?”
"Maybe,” I hedged, "There are more climbs to the finish I think.”
"So folks, maybe there was a hint of tactics there from our race leader, its only a lead of thirty one seconds so its all to play for on stage three of the Ryedale Junior three day.”

We made our way back to the start grid of a noticeably smaller field for today’s race. I think we lost a couple yesterday to crashes and so on but I reckon a few more couldn’t face another drubbing across today's more saw toothed profile. Despite Dad’s reassurances and my conversation with my, yeah, boyfriend, I'm still feeling a bit nervous.

 
"Time,” Ron mentioned a couple of minutes later.
"Lets do it,” Tal enthused as the klaxon announced our start.

I looked up at the heavens, a raft of pale clouds from horizon to horizon with a few small wisps hurrying along below – I guess it could be worse. We moved off down the Market Place, we’ll be back in about four hours I guess but will that be to contest the finish? Of course the race was neutralised for a bit – today until we’d cleared the first junction with the A170 and started towards Pickering.

The green flag dropped and unlike yesterday nothing happened, no chancers taking a erm, chance like Josh yesterday. No, a look around the Peloton revealed a sea of nervousness, me and the girls eased ourselves to the leeward side and off the front – there are still enough he men to want to put the girlies in their place. Ha, doesn’t mean us ladies have to play by their rules though eh?

For four kilometres along the wide main road the bunch ‘happily’ rolled along, the main cause of discomfort being the tar and chip surface rather than the slightly rolling parcours. It couldn’t last of course, the narrower lane that we turned into almost immediately started to climb, not steeply but naggingly evenly. There was a bit of bravado from a few of the lads, pushing the pace enough to go beyond comfortable.

Before any real damage was done we made a turn for a fast swoopy descent into the valley that we follow to Rosedale. The road bobbles about a bit but always gaining metres in short kicks as the races pace stayed fairly constant at a bit shy of thirty K.

"We go up there?” Gret asked as the moors bloomed around us.
"Up ahead first I think,” I allowed.
"Hell,” she allowed.
"No kidding,” I agreed.
The little village of Rosedale Abbey came into view, Gret sighed, "Time I guess.”
"Glück!” I told her as she prepared to move forward to stir things up a bit along with Josh.

I mentally checked my own preparedness, we’ll be starting the first real climb of the day in just a few moments, for a second time in barely twenty four hours I need to contain my enthusiasm, trust to the plan Dad’s come up with. Will it work? Backfire? Deep breaths Gabs, deep breaths.

 
Maddy Bell © 08.05.17

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Deep breaths

Podracer's picture

- Yeah, they're going to need them. Good idea phoning Max, Gaby doesn't need another confidence crisis at the start of a race.

"Reach for the sun."

That's right

Gaby. Keep your mind on the race, and trust in Dad's plan.

Gaby finally admits that Max is her boyfriend

Julia Miller's picture

That's a big step in their relationship. I think Drew's influence over Gaby is almost at an end. Let's hope she does well on the race and shows that English boy what she is made of.

Stick to the plan

Jamie Lee's picture

Not too long ago, Gaby would have thrown a plan out the window and run HER race. Sometimes it's necessary to change plans on the fly, if conditions warrant the change.

But Gaby has changed. She has been sticking to the plans devised by her dad. She now puts the team's success before her personal success, unless that part of Dave's plan.

Others have feelings too.