Castle The Series - 0054 Pamela, Patricia, Lavinia, Council, Catherine

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003430

STANDARDS SET BY HER FATHER

AFTERNOON PAMELA (33 nc) AND MULLEIN (53)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character eg CLAIRE (4nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

30th of Towin Day 3

Pamela was thirty-three, and she’d been married twice and had had two other long term relationships. The last of which she knew was failing. She was nearly five months pregnant, and the father of her unborn boy child, her first child, was not the man she lived with, though he didn’t know that. All four of her men had been of similar age to herself. An interesting, chance met man of twenty-odd years older than she had fathered her son, but unfortunately for Pamela, he was a happily married man seduced by a younger woman with needs he couldn’t meet. She was aware none of the men in her life had met her requirements. They had all been nothing more than shadows of real men. The yardstick by which she made that judgement was her father. Her father had been a rock solid uncompromising feature in the elsewise valueless world she had grown up in where everything had been negotiable. He had been the product of an engineering craft apprenticeship, a faithful husband and a loving father, and she had been devastated when he had died.

She had worked as a personal assistant to a chief executive officer of a large multinational corporation. Then Castle had happened. She had joined the Master at arms office administration and had been maekt(1) well come. She had met Mullein a fifty-three year old Master founder who was at the Master at arms office in case he was needed for any of the interviews. After five minutes she knew she had met a man who measured up to the standards set by her father, and had they had the opportunity to meet they would have become good friends. Mullein was a widower with no children and was as interested in her as she was in him. They decided to put their agreement to an appearance on Quarterday

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003440

HE HAS VERY STRONG HANDS

AFTERNOON PATRICIA (28) HEALER AND CHESTNUT (26)

30th of Towin Day 3

Patricia was a twenty-eight year old nurse who had joined the healers on her second day on Castle. She was nearly five lunes pregnant with her first child which she knew was a boy. She had left her husband Terrance behind, but her marriage had been fading away, and the child they had both initially been so eager to have had merely put even more distance between them. She had always admitted to herself she was the kind of woman who needed a man and children simply because caring for them was what would make her happy. She had met Chestnut at the healers in the forenoon of her third day on Castle. He had a badly braeken(2) and crushed arm caused by an adit strut giving way, and he had been in considerable pain. Chestnut was a good-looking, medium highth(3) man of twenty-six, and Patricia wondered what his face would look like without the effects of the pain he was suffering on it. As she had learnt was routine she had asked, “Whom do we need to inform he’s here?”

Lianna, a junior healer with bruises on her face had replied, “He loes(4) his wife five or six years over, and they had no children, but his mum should be telt.”

Patricia asked Lianna to tell a runner to inform his mum. Falcon had administered herbs which had maekt Chestnut sleepy after fifteen minutes. Falcon and Patricia had then cleansed the wounds prior to Rook setting the bones which despite the painkilling herbs had seemed to cause the semi-conscious Chestnut considerable pain. Falcon had held Chestnut still enough for Rook to set the bones whilst Patricia had held his other hand. He had gripped her hand so tightly it hurt her, but seeing the veins standing out on his sweating face as Rook worked she remained silent. When his ordeal was over, and Rook had the poultice, bandaging and splints positioned and laced to his satisfaction, the men helped Chestnut to sit up, and Falcon gave him a mug containing a small amount of an unappetising looking muddy brown sludge. He stirred it saying, “This won’t taste pleasant. It will help you deal with the pain and control the swelling, and I shall give you something pleasant to drink when you have drinken(5) it. You need to drink it quickly before the powders settle.”

Chestnut taekt(6) the mug off Falcon, downed the sludge in one swallow and said in a voice that sounded as if he were a long way away, “That was the worst thing I have ever had in my mouth in my entire life.”

Falcon handed him another mug and said, “This will taste much better, it’s mostly fruit juice.”

Chestnut drank the second mug in several mouthfuls and said , “That was better. I’m so tiren.”(7)

It looked as if Chestnut couldn’t keep his eyes open, and Rook telt him, “Sleep, it will do you good. Patricia and I shall ready your bed, and Falcon and I shall take you there.”

“The bed is ready,” Patricia telt the men, “I only need to turn the covers down, so we can put him into it.” Rook nodded, and he and Falcon eased Chestnut onto a stretcher and followed Patricia. They soon had Chestnut undresst(8) and in bed, and he hadn’t appeared to be aware of the process at all. They left Chestnut to sleep and went for a mug of leaf. Patricia noticed the bruises on her hand where Chestnut had gripped it. “He has very strong hands,” she remarked.

Rook looked at her hand, and said, “My sorrow, my dear, but it was a complicatet(9) braek,(10) and I couldn’t help but hurt him. I didn’t wish to wait till the painkiller taekt full effect because it was still swelling, and that would have make it much more difficult to ensure I sett(11) it tightly.”(12)

Falcon telt her, “I’ll give you an ointment that will help with the bruises.”

When Falcon came back with the ointment, she asked him, “How long will Chestnut sleep? And what do I need to do, if anything, and if so when do I need to it?”

“He will become restless by the eve meal,” Falcon replied. “I shall come to see him then. You do what ever you consider appropriate to keep him as comfortable as possible whilst times. I’ll prepare a mild drink you can give him that will reduce the swelling and have a mild effect on the pain. It’s also uest(13) as a fluid drain,(14) so not much more than a mouthful at a time, but it is mild, and dosage is not critical, he can have it every half hour if necessary.”

“I wish to look at his arm nextday(15) forenoon,” Rook said to Falcon, “so it’s best you check at the same time.”

Chestnut was in a deep herb assisted sleep when his mother arrived, and she was much relieved to be telt her son had serious injuries to one arm only. Patricia had discussed his care with those doing the eve duty before going for her meal.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003450

MY HOBBY WAS MAKING PAPER

AFTERNOON PERSONAL & CRAFT PLACEMENTS LAVINIA (14)

30th of Towin Day 3

Rowan found it hard to believe Lavinia was fourteen. She looked to be a tiny little girl for whom puberty wasn’t even on the horizon. The effect was exaggerated by her long, golden-blonde hair which she wore in two plaits reaching child-like three-quarters of the way down her back. That it was half a year since her menarche would have surprised Rowan even more.

Lavinia admitted to no adult skills, but said, “My hobby was making paper with which I made my own books, to write poetry in.”

Lovage realised Lavinia was highly intelligent, and wondering if paper making were enough for this remarkable young woman asked her, “Would you like to become an apprentice paper maker?”

“Yes,” replied Lavinia, “after all I can always find something else to do if it is not enough can’t I?”

“Yes, indeed,” replied Lovage. “I’ll send for someone who can formally accept you and offer you your apprenticeship.” Lovage spake to a runner, and a woman in her middle twenties arrived within twenty minutes who introduced herself as Ophæn.

Ophæn spake with Lavinia for a short space of time, and telt her, “I shall offer you apprenticeship now, but I doubt if you will so remain for long. Once you have producet(16) your first run of paper, and it has been approven by two Mistresses or Masters you will no longer be an apprentice, but a crafter in your own right.”

Lovage asked her of her desires for personal placement and wasn’t surprised Lavinia had a comprehensive answer ready. “I was an only child,” Lavinia explained. “I had a good family, and I miss my parents, but I am not traumatised by the separation. I have accepted the reality of Castle, and I want to find a home with siblings which I have always wanted. Since I appear to have a choice in the matter I want a mum and dad and brothers and sisters.”

“I am really glad you make paper, Lavinia, because it has allowt(17) me to be the first to offer to adopt you,” Ophæn telt her. “My man is Heastre, and he’s a metal founder.” Seeing a puzzled expression on Lavinia’s face she explained, “He melts metal and pours it into moulds maekt from sand, which is all I know of it. We’ve five children, four girls, Aconite who is ten, Caraway who is eight, Grœn who is seven, Drian who is five and we finally managt(18) a son Graylag who is two. You would be well come, and I don’t have a problem with you cross crafting.”

“What’s cross crafting?” asked Lavinia.

“Sharing your time between two or more different crafts,” explained Ophæn.

Lavinia liekt Ophæn, and thought the idea of cross crafting would make life interesting because she knew she would have to find something else to do. The idea of four sisters and a brother she thought was exciting, and she said, “I should like that, thank you.”

“Heastre and I should like it if you callt(19) us Mum and Dad,” Ophæn telt her, “and that would settle your relationships with the other children, Daughter Lavinia.”

“I should like that too, Mum.” They both expressed gratitude to the Master at arms staff and left.

“Do you wish to go to the dinner dance thisnight?”(20) Ophæn asked Lavinia. “You are entitelt(21) to so do you know.”

“No. I have everything I want, Mum, and should rather talk to my brother and sisters if you don’t mind.”

She put her arm through Ophæn’s, and reflected life was going to be different from what she had expected. She had wished to read law at university, but her current future was every bit as exciting, and she would do what she had to in order to achieve as highly as she could, at what ever she ended up doing.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003460

RELUCTANT PLANS & COUNCIL MEETING

LATE AFTERNOON PRE-DINNER A DEAD WOMAN TOO

30th of Towin Day 3

Yew, Thomas, Will, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin and Weir along with some dozen senior craftsfolk and various members of the Master at arms staff met briefly with the Council before Yew’s dinner which as lastday(22) was for all the Folk who had played significant roles in the assimilation of the incomers. They discussed the current situation, and concluded the incursion was being managed successfully with few outstanding problems.

Alsike’s grower crafters had had the vegetable materials from the incursion collected and in cool store before they had frozen in the uncontrolled environment of the Gatherfield. As the archives led them to expect, they didn’t recognise a lot of the materials, especially the seeds. They had packed the bulk of the seeds with oven dried grain to desiccate them, and they would be labelled, stored and cooled, prior to freezing. A sample of each had been sown, all of which were being kept warm to assist their germination prior to planting this growing season. The roots and cuttings had all been planted in damp growing compost and also were being kept warm to assist growth.

Alfalfa’s animal husbanders had collected all the domestic animals from the edge of the wood with the aid of horses and sheepdogs and taken them to the Keep. As usual, many were pregnant females. She reported there were horses of a number of conformations ranging from heavy plough animals to riding horses, all were of the highest quality. The kine were all of unknown varieties, but were thought to be of a single meat variety and several types of milch animals. However, only time would tell. The goats and sheep were of unfamiliar varieties, but all had large udders and were suspected to be milch animals, many had been in urgent need of milking. There were some animals with some goat-like features and some sheep-like ones, but they had longer necks than either, and they were possibly neither.

As usual there were some swine, these were big and entirely black, and as had always been done before they were allowed to go their own way and had last been seen grubbing for food in the Longwood. Swine simply required more feed to keep as domestic animals than the Folk could afford to provide. They were good at adapting to the Castle climate and interbred with the gris,(23) eventually after a few generations reverting to gris. There had always been a number of hunters who specialised in hunting gris, and it was known the gris had increased considerably in size and fecundity over the centuries. There were no hens this time, but ducks, geese and an unfamiliar variety of poultry with red wattles, blueish-white heads, dark gray plumage with dense white speckles. They maekt a lot of noise and were good flyers, but they had been cooped with the aid of some grain. They had no idea what wild animals, if any, there were, and again, only time would tell.

The nine pregnant young women were still a tragedy in the making. There were two dead men, neither of them any loss, and it was expected there would be two more, and a woman too, by nextday. It was believed Castle would end up taking the five remaining intransigents, even Thomas no longer really believed any of them would join the Folk. A plan had been laid to deal with the reluctants, and to keep the ex-drunks and -addicts alive, but safely out of harm’s way.

Janet, whom most of them had heard of, had joined the Folk. Adoptions of babes and children were proceeding apace, with half of them adopted already, and most of the nursing mothers had not been required. A large kin group had said they would take in Agnes if she would accept them. Agnes had met some of the clan, and in a less confused interlude, said she would be happy to live with them. It was subsequently reported she had settled in and was of the belief she had lived with her new kin for years. Most of the incomers had either craft or personal placement, both, or were expected to be placed by the end of Quarterday, and it was expected it would be difficult, if at all possible, to keep up with events on Quarterday itself, and in any event by then their workload connected with the incursion ought to be far less. There were no emergencies to discuss, so the meeting braekt(24) up on an optimistic note, after having agreed to meet again two days hence rather than on Quarterday. It was agreed again Gareth should be contacted in the event of any emergency requiring their early recall, and all went to put in an appearance to much neglected families and ready themself for dinner and the dance that followed it.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003470

A BIGGER SHARE

LATE AFTERNOON CATHERINE (39) AND CRANE (42)

30th of Towin Day 3

Catherine had had no sleep. After Crane had left her at her chamber lasteve(25) she had been thinking of him and his children all night, and all day too. She liekt(26) him, and though she hadn’t known him long she wasn’t aware of any hint he was other than he appeared. She knew she had to take a chance on something sooner or later, whether it was on marriage or on some other circumstance, and she had decided to take her chance on Crane. When Crane arrived at Catherine’s chamber it was late afternoon, but not yet time for the eve meal. He was smiling, and she opened the door to see him and a woman, whose features were so similar to his she had to be his sister.

Crane introduced the women, and said, “Before you start spaeking(27) of craft matters, I wish to tell Catherine I have a grandfather for the children. He is Adam and he’s seventy-two.”

Catherine congratulated Crane on his success, and then Strawberry and Catherine discussed what opportunities the dairy craft offered her. Strawberry ended with, “The best thing to do would be to work for a lune or so in each aspect of the craft. That way you become a Mistress crafter betimes, and as such your shares in the coöperative’s fortunes are greater because you are able to help to do aught if requiert(28) by misfortune. You would also discover what suits you best under normal circumstances.”

Catherine agreed, and said she wished to join the dairy crafters. Strawberry explained how their clan coöperative operated. “We are hoping to be joint(29) by a couple of apprentices in the next lune or so, but as a lærer(30) you would be most well come and appreciatet.(31) As an outsider to the clan we should have to have your remuneration all agreen(32) in advance, and preferably put to the Folk at Quarterday, but that’s not a problem. We already have some crafters in that situation. If you marry my brother the situation is different because you become a member of the clan. That essentially means you have a part of our riches and of our obligations, neither of which you have to take till it suits you. I am not trying to pressurise you in any way, and I am certainly not doing my brother’s wooing for him, but if you intend to craft with us as an outsider it is in your best interests you tell us so before four nextday afternoon, so our obligations to you can be fixt(33) by putting them to the Folk. You could of course choose to join the clan without marrying my brother, and you would still be much appreciatet.”

Crane looked anxiously at Catherine as his sister gave Catherine her third option, and she telt him, “If you still want to marry me my answer is yes.”

Strawberry congratulated them, and kissed Catherine, “Well come, Sister Catherine. I am sure I am not needet(34) here so I’ll go and leave the pair of you to organise your lifes.(35) I’ll come and see you nextday, and we shall discuss what you can be doing or learning before your babe is birtht.(36) Till nextday, Sister.” Strawberry wished the pair joy again and left. Crane and Catherine sat down, and she explained what Margæt had telt her lastday and why, and Crane suggested it may be a good idea to discuss with Strawberry and Margæt together what she should or should not be doing. He suggested they went back to his chambers to see what they needed and what they would need when the babe arrived. On the way to Crane’s chambers she telt him she was trying to think of girls names as she wished one that was appropriate to Castle.

He had said, “but what if you have a boy.” She had telt him of ultrasound scans. He expressed amazement, but said he would consider names. His chambers were adequate for her and her babe as well as his four children who were he telt her all at the Greathall at the moment. However, if Adam wished to live with them they would need another bedchamber. Crane said, “There are chambers aplenty on this level, he just has to chose the one he wishes and register it with the Master at arms as in use.” Seeing her looking at a painting of a girl on the wall with her hair in plaits, Crane said, “That’s Maidenhair paintet(37) when she was eight. It was craftet(38) by Hobby. He’s good at painting children.”

“I was looking at her hair. I’m going to call my little girl Braid. I like that,” said Catherine.

“Yes, that’s a very good name,” agreed Crane. “It’s not a Castle name, but it’s a Castle type of name. She still has her hair in braids as you will see when they all return in an hour or so.”

Word Usage Notes

1 Maekt, made.
2 Braeken, broken.
3 Highth, height.
4 Loes, lost
5 Drinken, verb drunk.
6 Taekt, took.
7 Tiren, tired.
8 Undresst, undressed.
9 Complicatet, complicated.
10 Braek, break.
11 Sett, past tense of set.
12 Tightly, properly in this context.
13 Uest, used.
14 Fluid drain, in this context a diuretic.
15 Nextday, tomorrow.
16 Producet, produced.
17 Allowt, allowed.
18 Managt, managed.
19 Callt, called.
20 Thisnight, tonight.
21 Entitelt, entitled.
22 Lastday, yesterday.
23 Gris, the result of generations of wild swine crossing with domestic pigs from many incursions. They are now a feral pig of larger size and fecundity than their wild ancestors.
24 Braekt, broke
25 Lasteve, yesterday evening.+
26 Liekt, liked.
27 Spaeking, spaeaking.
28 Requiert, required.
29 Joint, joined.
30 Lærer, adult apprentice, trainee.
31 Appreciatet, appreciated.
32 Agreen, agreed.
33 Fixt, fixed.
34 Needet, needed.
35 Lifes, lives.
36 Birtht, born.
37 Paintet, painted.
38 Craftet, crafted.

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos