Castle The Series - 0055 Susan, Janet, Ginas’s Family, Judith

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003480

THE PANIC AND THE DESIRE

LATE AFTERNOON PLACEMENTS SUSAN (33 nc) AND KINGFISHER (32)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character eg CLAIRE (4nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is now an index of which significant characters appear in each chapter at the end.

30th of Towin Day 3

It was late afternoon, and Kingfisher had another incomer to meet before he could go to his cousin’s to collect his children, and tell them the good news. He was thirty-two, had five children and had lost Lake, his wife, to the fevers last year. He had registered with the Master at arms as seeking a wife nearly two lunes since, but so far hadn’t met any he wished to marry. Life had been difficult for them all, the children needed more care than he could provide alone, and he was grateful to his cousin and his wife for their support. He knew they had been glad to do it, but his cousin’s wife was now three lunes pregnant with their first child. He was smiling at the thought of the looks on the children’s faces when they found out they now had a grandmother.

Annella was a fifty-seven year old hand loom weaver whom he had met at the elders’ meeting in the mid-afternoon. She was a widow who had left nine grandchildren behind, and she had telt him she had been a little disappointed to find he only had five children. She had a dry sense of humour and had said, “But of course that’s something you can improve on.” They had liekt(1) each other immediately. He had somewhat diffidently explained the custom was the children would call her Gran or Granny, and for him to call her Mum rather than Annella, formally she would be Mother Annella. She had said, “I think that’s a very good custom. I take it I call you Son when appropriate?”

“Yes, that’s right, Mum.”

She had accepted an invitation meet the children, and to eat with the family that eve and had said she would see the Master at arms office in order to move to chambers nearer to his.

On his way to the late afternoon meeting with Susan, who had expressed interest in beekeeping, he reflected on his meeting with Mistress beekeeper Jessica the eve before. Mistress woodworker Teal, Jessica’s mother, had sent a note to him telling of Russet’s reaction to Jessica earlier in the day and inviting him to spend the eve with them. Lasteve(2) was he considered to be the single most significant event in his crafting with bees. They had discussed the gradual movement of his stocks first to the temporary wine box hives and then to the frame hives next season. Jessica had explained that they could fit the combs out of his skeps into primitive frames and string would keep them in place till the bees extended the comb to the frame edges. If the frames were slightly smaller than the ones they would use next year they could tie the whole frame into the lager ones again with string. As the bees expanded their colonies early next year they could move the makeshift frames up the hives and the bees would withdraw down to the bottom of the hive as they passed the longest day. Eventually the bees would be on proper frames with quality combs and they could recover the wax from the old comb. Doing it that way she said would result in no loss of bees or brood.

Jessica had asked him, “What do you do with your cappings and any odd bits of comb, Kingfisher?”

“I let the bees recover the honey and then melt the wax for the candlers. Why?”

“Well, I was thinking we could melt the wax and dip an appropriately sized piece of wetted wood into it to make flat sheets. The sheets are a bit brittle but if you roll them with a round piece of wood whilst still warm they become flexible enough to trim to size and use in the frames. I used to buy my wax foundation already embossed with cell shapes and reinforced with crimped wire, but I know some people used unwired flat sheets or even just starter strips at the top of the frames and the bees were happy to draw out the cells on them. Its best though to use full sheets for that way we save the bees the work of making the comb and get a better honey yield. I’ve read that bees use ten weights of honey to produce a weight of wax. If you use full sheets they build the combs straight down inside the frames making a box of easy to handle frames rather than combs that run in any direction through two or more frames which is a nightmare to deal with, although if you’re short on sheets you can alternate full sheets with starter strips and they build all the combs straight down, but it does take them longer and of course they only draw wax when its warm and there’s a honey flow on. If we wanted we could rinse the honey off the cappings prior to melting them and brew mead with the rinsings. My mum used to make it using a bit more honey too.”

Though not yet adult by Folk reckoning, Jessica had so much knowledge to share and teach concerning the new frame hives that Kingfisher considered her to be by far the most sophisticated beekeeper on Castle. Early this forenoon he had visited the Master at arms office, and telt them he would like to have spaech(3) with any incomers interested in beekeeping with a view to forming a craft of frame beekeepers. He was looking forward to crafting with Jessica, Mercedes,whom he had met earlier in the afternoon, and possibly with Susan too.

Susan was fiddling with her hair, wrapping it berount(4) her fingers, and then doing it again when it unwrapped itself. She knew she was doing it, but she couldn’t stop herself. She was aware of the hammering of her heart, but couldn’t understand why she felt so ill at ease. She was here to meet a beekeeper because she had expressed an interest in beeping as a craft. Why she had chosen beekeeping she wasn’t quite sure. She had seen a documentary on bees recently, but other than that there was no reason at all. She had been a dental nurse, and she felt it would have maekt(5) more sense for her to join the healers in some capacity, but she didn’t wish to. Castle was very different from the world she had known, and she wished to do something equally different. Susan was thirty-three, and nearly four lunes pregnant. She had left a seven year old son and a husband who was a high earning financial consultant behind. The loss of her son was something she hadn’t been able to face yet, and she knew eventually the pain would come, but she was deliberately not thinking of it, so she could come to terms with her immediate environment first.

She found Castle frightening and intimidating in its immediacy. That she didn’t miss William her husband of ten years didn’t surprise her much. They had never been in love and were in any case both strangers to passion. They had been friends who slept with one another, and their mutual enjoyment of sex was part of their friendship. Still twiddling with her hair she realised why she was so nervous. It was not the craft placement that bothered her it was the personal placement which she knew would also be discussed. She had known William since before primary school, and they both had known since then they would eventually marry. Their whole relationship had been so safe for so long, and it was the prospect of having to take chances she had never had to take before that was so unnerving. That she would marry she accepted because having a child on her own in this alien culture was taking a bigger chance than the chance she knew she would have to take on a man, on any man.

When Kingfisher came into the chamber she was instantly attracted and felt a quickening of her heart and a little breathless. She was grateful he did the spaeking(6) because she was not sure she would be able to without embarrassing herself. She noted he was her age, of moderate looks, medium highth(
7) and build and carried no surplus weighth.(8) He had a very attractive smile with twinkling gray eyes deep set in a face which became passionately animated when spaeking of bees. Kingfisher explained to Susan the situation concerning Jessica, himself and Mercedes and telt her, “Our craft Mistress is only sixteen of your years, and as long as that doesn’t bother you you are well come to join us. We four shall be founding a new craft though doubtless others will join us as we proceed.” Susan accepted the placement, and Kingfisher explained what he had telt Mercedes of them all meeting in a few days to discuss the movement of his stocks.

When Harp turned the conversation to personal placements Susan blushed, and admitted she knew she would marry, and would be going to the dance that eve. Harp asked if she would like to be introduced to men whom they thought she may find of interest to her based on her initial interviews. There were many she said who would be especially interested because of her pregnancy. Susan embarrassed by this because of the presence of Kingfisher said, “Yes, please,” and stood to leave.

Kingfisher asked, “May I escort you to your chamber, Mistress Susan?”

Susan startled by the form of address replied, “Thank you.” They left together and walked into the courtyard in silence.

As they entered the courtyard Kingfisher asked, “Forgive my presumption, Mistress, but was it my presence that embarrasst(9) you?”

Susan put her hand on his arm and replied, “A little yes, I am not used to discussing this sort of thing. I had an amicable marriage with William whom I had known all my life. There was little passion, but I felt safe. Castle is different, and it intimidates me.”

Kingfisher stopped walking, and she stopped with him to look at him with a questioning look on her face. He said, “I apologise for the embarrassment I caust(10) you. I know you are seeking a man and a father for your babe. I loes(11) my wife a year over to the fevers, and I am now seeking a wife. I should be honourt(12) if you would consider me. I have five children who need a mother, and I adoptet(13) Annella earlier this afternoon as grandmother to them. I am a comfortable sort of a man with a placid temperament. I am moderately intelligent, and I should do my best to make you a good husband if you would accept me. I have agreen(14) to dine at home thiseve(15) with Annella who is meeting the children, so I can’t offer to take you to the dance. Would you like to dine with us, and may I escort you to the dance nexteve,(16) so I can try to persuade you to marry me somewhere where you would feel to be under no obligations of aught?”

Susan still had her hand on his arm, and she was sure he must have been aware of her grip. She was feeling emotions she had never experienced before, and there were tingling sensations running all over her skin which felt dry and tight and at the same time sweaty. She was aware of her loins tightening and throbbing, and she felt hot and moist, a sensation she had never experienced so intensely. Her brassière caused her breasts to feel sensually painful, as if in time with her rapidly beating heart it were alternately two and three sizes too small, and her nipples felt so hard she was too embarrassed to look down in case Kingfisher’s gaze followed her own. Her breathing had almost stopped and was so shallow she felt light headed. The feelings of sexual arousal, which she had never experienced so intensely, threatened to take her over, and it was both glorious and terrifying.

She wished to run, but knew her legs wouldn’t obey her, and she was now holding Kingfisher’s arm for support. She felt her eyes drawn to his as she had been telt a doomed rabbit’s were to headlights. Kingfisher who normally was a very pragmatic and considered man felt the over tight grip of her hand on his arm which maekt him a little breathless too. When Susan turned and looked into his eyes he saw the panic and the desire, the fright and the trust and the girl and the woman. Without being aware of it they both moved closer to each other. Their first kiss, if it did naught else, maekt them even more breathless.

When Kingfisher had enough breath he asked, “Will you marry me, Susan?”

With her eyes still closed, Susan nodded. Dizzy and light headed, she had put her arms berount Kingfisher to help her stay upright, she needed the support, she was aware of her thighs clamping tightly berount her throbbing sex, but all feeling below that had gone. Her arms clinging berount Kingfisher’s back were pulling her hard gainst(17) his chest, and she could feel the hardth(18) of her nipples pushed back into the softth(19) of her breasts. She wished those feelings to last as long as possible before having to open her eyes and move away again. She nodded again as she shook with passion, and their next kiss taekt(20) her over the edge.

When she did open her eyes she breathlessly said, “That was wonderful, Kingfisher. Yes, I shall marry you, and I should like to meet the children and Annella too please.”

Kingfisher unaware of what Susan had just experienced said, “Yes, I bethinkt(21) me it was wonderful too. They’re your children too now, and Annella is your Mum, and you should call her that you know.” They carried on walking, Susan with her arm through Kingfisher’s, and Kingfisher asked, “Shall we collect your things, so you can move in, Love?”

Susan nodded and replied, “I have very little other than what I’m wearing, and now you.” Susan had experienced more passion and a higher level of arousal in the last few minutes than in her entire life, and that was just from a kiss. She was looking forward to bedtime. She now had five children and soon would have six. She was aware she still had to work through the grief of losing her son, but at least she had Kingfisher whose presence she knew would help.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003490

IT’LL DO

LATE AFTERNOON PRE-DINNER JANET

30th of Towin Day 3

Janet, after a satisfying session of crafting with Amethyst and the others, was now under their aegis being maekt ready for the dinner and dance. “You have to look your best,” giggled Amethyst who had taken charge of Janet, her bosom shaking like a jelly whilst still wearing the as yet to be perfected brassière, “after all you need to find a good one.” It was clear to Janet the women presumed she would be seeking a man, but knew nothing of the arrangements maekt for her, for which she was grateful. She had bathed and had her hair washed and trimmed. Something had been combed into her hair which smelt light and floral, and then her hair had been brushed till it shone, into what she was telt was now an elegant look. Make up had been applied, but sparingly. As Amethyst had put it, “We require enhancement not disguise.”

Her clothes for the eve had all been freshly pressed. She was perfumed, dresst(22) and provided with elegant shoes with a heel. “But not too high for dancing,” said Celandine.

“If you don’t find a good one now,” declared Amethyst, “I’ll have no more to do with you.”

Slowly, Janet looked into one of the many mirrors, a full longth(23) one, and gasped. The stranger with the sophisticated coiffure looking back at her wasn’t the scrawny, thin, flat chested mouse she was uest(24) to looking at. This woman was, well she considered, svelte wasn’t an over statement. She was slender, elegantly gowned in a gown that gave her a small but noticeable bosom, feminine hips and outlined her cotte(25) in a way that she’d never thought possible. The realisation she was looking at herself, a new herself to be sure, and she felt attractive was as delightful as it was unanticipated. Attractive was a word she had never associated with herself before, and it maekt her feel much more confident regarding what was to come.

“And?” asked Amethyst.

“It’s wonderful,” she barely breathed.

Amethyst retorted, “I don’t know I’d go that far, but it’ll do to catch a man. They’re not very observant you know. They’re either focusst(26) on the contents, or they’re trying hard not to be, but either way they rarely see the wrap.” She laught, “We dress to outdo each other really you know. Bit of a waste of time if you ask me.” Changing the subject entirely she said, “You know if we could find a soft but stiffer fabric for the sides of the cups, may hap two fabrics bias sewn(27) together, the whole thing would be much better.”

The topic wasn’t far from any of the women’s thoughts, and they continued to discuss technicalities till Celiotte announced, “We’d better take Janet to the Greathall. We’ll need to use the walkways unless someone has an overcoat that won’t ruin it all?”

It was decided to walk the long way berount. Janet was escorted by Celiotte and Celandine.

Amethyst declared, “I no longer walk any where I don’t have to. At my size it’s folly. Have a pleasant eve, Dear, and,” with a broad wink, “find a good one.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003500

NO PORRIDGE EVERY DAY

JUST BEFORE DINNER GINA (36) AND JONAS (38), RUTH (4), KILROY (5)

30th of Towin Day 3

On their way to the Keep Gina and Jonas discussed the ages and sex of the children they would ideally like to adopt. Gina said, “I should like one of each, both younger than Snowflake. That way Jay, Poppy and Snowflake are still the eldest, and if I have any the adopted ones are older than they. I can’t really justify it, but I think that way may avoid potential jealousy.”

Jonas said, “It seems as good an idea as any. I have none better, so if we can that’s what we’ll do.”

A few minutes before six they arrived at the Keep, and a tall thin healer of good looks in his early thirties called Fettle was on duty in the children’s affairs chamber. Though Gina had noted a number of menfolk with beards Fettle was the first she had seen with just a moustache. She was impressed. It was what she had heard referred to as a handlebar moustache, and it was fully a foot wide. She thought it gave him great presence and the look of a Hollywood Mexican bandit.

They explained why they had called, and Fettle telt them, “There are several children who would meet your preferences, but there are two I have in mind who the sooner they’re settelt(28) the better. They’re missing a family badly. They are a girl naemt(29) Ruth who is four, and a boy naemt Kilroy who is five. They both have acceptet(30) they’re somewhere else, though of course at their age they forget from time to time which results in grief and temper tantrums, but they both keep asking when will it be their turn for a mum and dad. Shall I have one of the juniors bring them here?” Jonas and Gina agreed, and within a few minutes Ruth and Kilroy were in the affairs chamber. Fettle was skilled at settling the children, and he was soon telling them how hard he had worked to find the best possible mum and dad for them.

Ruth said to Gina, “I’m four, and I don’t like porridge.”

Jonas said to her, “I’m a lot older than four, and I don’t like porridge either, so we’ll both have fruit and toastt(31) bannocks for braekfast.”(32)

Ruth thought hard and asked, “Every day? No porridge?” Jonas nodded and she looked past Gina, walked to Jonas and held his hand.

Kilroy watching this with interest said, “I’m five. I like everything. Where do we live? I don’t like sleeping in a chamber with loads of boys.”

Gina who never having been to Jonas’ chambers let him answer. “I have chambers large enough for all of us. You will share a chamber with your brother Jay who is nine. If you like you can have bunk beds. Ruth, you will share a big chamber with your sisters Poppy who is seven and Snowflake who is six.”

They were both happy with these arrangements, and after another few minutes or so of explanations they decided it would be a good idea to go home. Though it was time to eat, and they could have eaten in the Refectory, Ruth and Kilroy wished to meet their sisters and brother, and see their chambers.

As they were leaving Fettle pressed a small bottle into Gina’s hand, “For a few days, a small spoon in their drink at night will help to settle them, it’s pleasant to the taste and mild in action.” They put their overcoats on, and left saying good bye to Fettle.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003510

SLEEPING AND WATCHING AT THE SAME TIME

DINNER TO BEDTIME JUDITH AND STORM

30th of Towin Day 3

A pair of apprentices arrived with the children’s possessions not long after Storm’s return, and the beds and bedding arrived before the apprentices had gone. The woodworkers who arrived with the beds soon had them assembled, and the time before eating was spent making beds and arranging the bedchambers. Iola, as Iris had said, was good with the children, and they accepted her authority as the eldest.

When Matthew became difficult Iola picked him up and said, “You’re tired, Matthew, and you need a little sleep. As it’s not bedtime yet shall I bring you a blanket, and you can sleep in here and see what’s happening?” Matthew found no fault with the logic of sleeping and watching at the same time, and without taking his hand out of his mouth nodded his agreement. Iola returned with a blanket, tucked him up in it on an easy chair, and he was asleep in seconds. After they had eaten, and whilst they were discussing the details of bedtimes and what they were going to do nextday,(33) a runner arrived saying a meeting with Matilda and Evan, the potential grandparents, had been arranged for ten the following forenoon. Alwydd would be going to the kennels, so Judith and Storm decided they would accompany Heidi, Rock and Stephanie to the Greathall where, under the supervision of Iola and the adults who were on duty there, the children could join in with the activities of the other children, mostly dancing. They decided to take Matthew with them to the Master at arms meeting.

After the children had gone to bed, when Judith and Storm were readying for bed, Storm with a grin asked, “You still sure you wish to try for more?” In answer, she shed her remaining clothes and held her arms out to him. “Fair enough.”

Word Usage Key

1 Liekt, liked.
2 Lasteve, yesterday evening.
3 Spaech, speech.
4 Berount, around.
5 Maekt, made.
6 Spaeking, spaeking.
7 Highth, height.
8 Weighth, weight.
9 Embarrasst, embarrassed.
10 Caust, caused.
11 Loes, lost.
12 Honourt, honoured.
13 Adoptet, adopted.
14 Agreen, agreed.
15 Thiseve, this evening.
16 Nexteve, tomorrow evening.
17 Gainst, against.
18 Hardth, hardness.
19 Softth, softness.
20 Taekt, took.
21 Bethinkt, thought.
22 Longth, length.
23 Dresst, dressed.
24 Uest, used.
25 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft.
26 Focusst, focussed.
27 Bias sewn, sewn with the weaves at forty-five degrees to each other.
28 Settelt, settled.
29 Naemt, named.
30 Acceptet, accepted.
31 Toastt, toasted.
32 Braekfast, breakfast.
33 Nextday, tomorrow.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos