Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 339

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Riding Up A Hill.
by: Angharad
part:339

S-works_Tarmac_SL_.jpg

Simon was only off for a few days before he had to go back to make the bank money. Things were relatively tight due to the mess in the financial markets. He’d said before he left, “Things really are bad Cathy, we may have to start making economies.” I thought this meant they were going to dispose of me as their ecology adviser, but it didn’t. “We’ll have to make do with lumpfish not beluga.”

“Lumpfish what?” I asked in honest confusion.

“Oh, Cathy, you’ve just destroyed my joke.”

“I have no idea what you are on about.” Sometimes he worried me, now was one of them.

“Caviar, old girl, lumpfish is for any old peasant, we patricians eat beluga.”

“Don’t you know, old boy.” I added in my snottiest accent.

“Now, now, grammar school girl–don’t get all uppity!”

I felt my eyes narrow, I knew he was just messing about but it was beginning to annoy me. “Look here fatboy, Lard Cameron, when you can beat me on a bike, I’ll listen to your cultural arrogance with all it’s anachronistic relevance on modern life–until then, shove it!”

“Them’s fightin’ words Miss Ellie,” he said in a very poor Osark accent.

“Are yuh calling me out?” I drawled at him.

“Yeah, I’s callin’ ya out?”

“Bikes at twenny miles, y’all?” I said back to him.

“Huh, I don’t ‘ave much chance, do I, with an inferior machine.”

“Go ahead and get something better, I’ll still whomp yer arse!”

“I might jes’ do that!”

“Say goodbye to yer lumpfish, then, ‘cos a carbon framed bike is gonna cost yuh a grand or two.”

“Dear lady, I know how much they cost, I bought you one, remember?”

“Oh I remember, old sport, that’s the one which is going to prove what a lardy-cake you are.”

“When is this going to happen?” he asked.

Whenever you are ready, sweetums,” I smiled at him. “Next week, next month, whenever; I care not one little jot!”

“In two weeks hence,” he said firmly, obviously calculating feverishly how many hours practice he could get by then.

“Word of advice, it’s all about cadence,” I offered.

“Never mind trying to put me off with your jargon, I shall speak to my personal trainer.”

“Ooh, get you! I shall simply carry on my training regime, see you at the start line in two weeks, wherever that is?”

“You choose dear lady, and prepare to be destroyed.”

“Words are cheap, Little Lard Fauntleroy.”

“You want to put some money on it?”

“You know I don’t bet, Simon. Gambling is a tax on stupidity.”

“Chicken!”

“Call me all the names you like, I shall take solace in simply beating you, that is reward enough.” Especially if it stops the silly names.

“Very well, two weeks then.”

“Very good, I’ll work out an interesting route.”

I knew exactly where we were going, up the steepest hill I could find, and I knew where to locate one. As soon as he was gone, I was out on the bike to get as much hill training in as I could.

I was sweating, my breathing was ragged and I felt like chucking up my breakfast. What I didn’t feel like doing was any more of this hill! It had got steeper, I was sure of that. I kept at my task and crawled up the slope which formed part of the downs. At the top, I nearly fell off my bike as my legs were so tired. They were like jelly, yet at the same time felt stiff. They were burning, too, or the muscles in them were. Two weeks of this and I’d spontaneously combust!

At the same time part of me was pleased that I was trying to get back to something approaching fitness. I knew that oestrogens do not help with muscle development, but I couldn’t stop taking them. Simon therefore had an advantage in the muscle game. However, women do compete quite well in endurance sports.

Over the next week, my climbing did improve a bit. It wasn’t as spectacular as before and then it wasn’t brilliant. Maybe Simon was going to win? It spurred me on and I trained for four hours a day for week two, an hour’s climbing and three for distance. My legs were beginning to firm up, no great muscle definition, but then being a woman, I didn’t really want to look as if I had Chris Hoy’s legs. Mind you, his speed would have been helpful.

The day before the race, as had happened every day since the challenge, Simon phoned to try and wind me up. It didn’t work because I reckoned I still probably had the edge. I’d also lost about five pounds in weight and my waist was an inch smaller, sadly, my bust was also smaller.

Simon said he was, half a stone lighter and his body was purring like a Jaguar engine. That was fine with me, mine was accelerating like a 911, but he wasn’t going to know that until tomorrow. He said he was on the way to the gym, I was sorting my washing–no training today, just a little run around the block with Kiki.

We arranged to meet at the university leisure and sports facility, where we could both park. I knew he would turn up with a top of the range bike, I just hoped he couldn’t ride it. I unloaded the Ruby from my rack and checked the tyres and brakes. She was in fine fettle.

Simon arrived at the car park and took off the S-works Tarmac SL. I was in understandable awe. “That bike was developed for Tom Boonen,” I told him.

“Yeah, and ridden by Petacchi, I know, I’ve seen the ads.”

“It’s a lovely bit of kit, pity about the rider,” I said dismissively as I walked back to my own bike.

I checked the items in my tiny saddle bag, some basic tools and a spare tube. I didn’t see Simon with any sort of repair kit on his bike. I slid the mini pump into the pocket of my cycling shirt. The weather looked quite good and I wouldn’t need the jacket I’d been wearing. I took it off to reveal the team GB skins.

A small group of bystanders could see something was going down and hung about for the off. I showed Simon the route and he nodded his recognition of it. I also thought he winced a little when he remembered the gradient. We would do a circular ride so the trip down the hill should be a bit faster than the ascent, that would be his advantage, he was heavier. Mine was in the climb.

I did ten minutes of stretches and bends Simon watched and waited. Then we shook hands and mounted our steeds. His was absolutely stunningly beautiful and mine was pretty good too, but the Tarmac is something special.

He shot off like a rocket against my more sedate start. I wondered if he planned some sort of treachery, like being pulled along by a car or paced by a motorbike. But a mile further on, he was two hundred yards ahead and staying there.

On the first bit of a hill, I began to close on him, my lighter weight telling. As we headed out towards the downs, he was definitely slowing. I hadn’t pushed it, the object was to keep something in the tank for the major climb and for any sort of sprint home.

He pulled away again on a slight downhill and I began to wind up, clicking up a gear and getting ready for the major challenge. As we started the hill, he was still about two hundred yards ahead and I was beginning to hope I hadn’t underestimated him. He was as red as his shirt when I pulled level with him and he was panting like a very warm dog.

I was also pretty warm, and my breathing was hard, but better than his. I pulled past him and on up the hill. He was in too high a gear, I had tried to warn him, I was spinning in bottom on the twenty eight ring.

Over the top, I had a lead of probably a hundred yards, not as much as I’d hoped. I cranked up on the descent and half way down was doing about fifty miles an hour, I kept pedalling, cranking up the gears into the eleven ring. I prayed I wouldn’t need to brake, because the bike wouldn’t have a chance.

Somehow the gods of cycling heard me, and I reached the bottom a lot quicker than I’d gone up, overtaking three cars in the process. That in itself is pretty hairy, they’re not looking for a bicycle to come past them except in slow moving traffic.

I knew that Simon would be absolutely flying down the hill, and prayed for his safety too. I wanted to beat him, not kill him. The return was a blur as I rode in a higher gear than I usually did. I was easily meeting racing standards, zinging along at twenty five miles an hour, darting in and out of traffic hoping that no one opened a door on me.

In about an hour from the start, I flew into the driveway to the car park, I was doing thirty as I pulled past the cars and applied the brakes. As I turned towards the entrance, I saw Simon hurtling down the drive. He had improved beyond recognition, maybe it was the bike after all?

I got off and took a long draught of my water bottle. He stopped his bike and nearly collapsed. Some man who’d been watching ran to grab him. Later, I learned it was his personal trainer. I parked up my bike and my jellied legs carried me over to Simon. He was still in respiratory distress. The trainer bloke pulled out an oxygen cylinder from his car and we sat Simon down with the mask on his face.

“That was some ride, young lady,” said the trainer who introduced himself as Ken.

“Thanks, I’m astonished at Simon’s improvement. Two weeks ago, I could have gone home and had lunch before he finished.”

“Sadly, two weeks wasn’t enough to complete the job of training him, but we did improve him a bit.”

“A bit! Wow, what an understatement! If you’d had him any longer, he’d have beaten me.”

“I don’t know, I suspect you’ve been hill training?”

“A bit, why?”

“I had someone watching the hill, both up and down. You did exceptionally well on both. Keep it up and that Great Britain shirt might be official.”

“I don’t have time, much as I’d like to ride better,” I also don’t want the fuss that would occur as soon as my name cropped up, certainly not before my gender recognition thingy.

Simon recovered and followed me back to Tom’s. We parked up, he had a long cold drink and fell asleep. I went for a shower and then started the washing–as they say, a woman’s work is never done!

DSCF0384_0.jpg

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent Bike-isode

What a splendid Bike-isode with some cycling for a change. It seems an aeon since we had Cathy riding competitively, and I'm glad she beat Simon. However it is just as well that Simon was so optimistic about his potential prowess as a Tom Boonen substitute that he could be up top speed in two weeks or Cathy might have been beaten. :-(

Well done, Ang.

Hugs,
Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Excellent Chapter

It was great to see Cathy training for the race with Simon, and it seems Simon was also training, but with the help of a professional trainer.

The race itself was good, Cathy proved herself on the hill climb, and ended up winning, but Simon wasn't all that far behind. It says a lot that Simon was able to improve as much as he did, as Cathy had left him well behind the few times they'd ridden previously.

Thanks for an excellent chapter, Angharad, I'm enjoying this story very much.

Hurray!

We're back to a bit of cycling :0) Cathy (and Simon) have to remember that if it's minutes you're looking for, tune the 'engine'; only if you're looking for seconds will a better bike help (assuming you already have a reasonable one). I'm sure Cathy was grateful for her compact chainset and 28 tooth sprocket particularly as she wasn't able to do a Floyd Landis and dope on testosterone LOL

Thanks Angharad.

Geoff

Splendid

I don't really care much for bicycling, but the rest of the story was top-notch!

(Giant bike picture, tiny kitty picture - boo!)

Not a Giant

Jennifer,

The bike in the picture is a Specialized, not a Giant!

Gabi
(being smart-arsed! I hope you will forgive me, Jennifer.)

P.S. Giant is a rival manufacturer to Specialized.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Them Thar's Fighting Words :-)

Love the banter between Cathy and Simon, they BOTH needed it after recent events. This chapter reminds me of a Gaby episode where she is racing. Like the bike pictured, and that Bonzi looks adorable. He looks like a black Persian that stayed here years ago.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

loved the race

Hoped for some quality time between Simon and Cathy afterward. At least cuddles and conversation. Typical guy... had a drink and fell asleep. Hoping that cold drink was water.

Wow, how much time passed in the last two episodes? A couple of weeks? a month? Usually this story runs real time or slower. That's quite a jump.

And a last question... why doesn't that bike have any pedals (or at least post to clip a shoe to)?

Bike pedals

Angharad's picture

when you buy a decent bike, they fit the pedals you want, ie those which will fit the type of cycle shoe you wear. On mine I have SPD clipless pedals, though usually they would have road shoes and the appropriate clipless pedals to fit them.

Angharad

Angharad

Somehow, I suspect Simon's...

... gear is the smellier! ewww. That said, with so much sweat wicking off, perhaps not. Sounds like a good trainer really took him a LONG way forward. I just HOPE that losing to Cathy doesn't cause problems.

As I think about it though... I do wonder if the trainer was well known, just not to Cathy.

Well, that's in the future. We'll have to see where things go.

Annette

The red bike

In part 325 there is a picture of a red Specialized bike with triple chaingear (three gears on the part with the pedal arms). It looks like it has round (cylindrical) tubing so it might be made of Al rather than carbon fiber. The red and black S-works Tarmac SL shown in part 339 is Simon's. The black bike in part 338 is Cathy's Ruby (which somehow I expected to be red). Is the red bike shown in part 325 also Cathy's?

Geoff, good eyes spotting the compact crankset on the Ruby.

My best bike is an 1999 58cm Cannondale (Al) CAAD 4 with a Shimano Dura-Ace 9 speed group except for a (somewhat cheap) Bontranger Al compact crankset.

Cheers,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

The red bike

Angharad's picture

is a 2005 Specialized Dolce, which is an aluminium frame and which has a Sora triple chainset and 8 speed Tiagra cassette. I have one but changed the wheels from Alex to Mavic open pro with ultegra hubs. It's my favourite bike although I also have a new 2008 Ruby Elite compact which has a 105 10speed rear cassette. I'm still getting used to it, but miss the triple C/S going up hills and the in-line brakes, on descents - I have small hands. Looks as if I like Specialized bikes - I have three of them (including a Hardrock XC MTB).

Angharad

Angharad

339--purring like a Jaguar

Hmm, not much of an accolade anymore I'm afraid as some of the Jag motors are made by Mazda. Since Mazda make most of the engines for Fords, I have the same 2.5 litre lump in my old purple Probe as some Jags.

Still I know what he meant.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Purple Probe!

I don't think I want to know about your probe, Nick, but the possible causes of it turning purple make the mind boggle.

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Diet

Does this replace the diet? Maybe?

Lance eat my dust

Wow, you wash down the bikes every time you ride ?
Gee, will Cath ride in the Olympics ?
The roadway surface must be better in the UK than city streets in the US, it's hard to go 50mph with a motor bike.
Cefin