Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 216

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 216


Fun at the resort.
The dance competition.
A walk to the remote hogan.
Taos Pueblo and the Eagles
Bridget learns more.

Bill and Bridget were coming on Thursday. So on Wednesday, we’d planned on making sure the house was in order. But, the ‘we’ had turned into ‘me’ when Amy was called into the ER. But, we aren’t messy, so what I had done wasn’t that much.

The next publication of our legal notice of name change was supposed to be today, as was the delivery of our next project for Los Alamos. But, the project was a no show.

Thursday Bill and Bridget, or should I say, Mr. and Mrs. Grant had arrived right on time. Now, of course, just before we were leaving for the airport, the Dean had called and said that the briefcase from Los Alamos was in his office. So we’d driven two cars to the airport, and I was going to stop at the university after we’d welcomed Bill and Bridget. But, Bill and Bridget wanted to see the university, so while I did my thing with the briefcase, Amy had shown Bill and Bridget around the university.

After we’d finished at the university, we’d gone straight to the house. And our visitors liked the house and the dinner that we’d served. But while we were showing them the hogan, an immature Eagle had shown up. Why did he come here? We had also explained the reason for our name change. And we’d talked about the barbecue and the dance contest.

Friday after breakfast, we headed for the resort, and as we got close to the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Bill asked if he could see it. So we’d taken a short detour to Los Alamos and had a look at the laboratory. Then when we’d been back on the way to the resort, we happened across a bad car crash, and Amy turned into Nurse Amy to help the people in the car.

We’d finally made it to the resort, and Bill and Bridget loved the place. Once we’d all cleaned up, we’d given them a tour. The only problem we’d had was Aunt Ruth trying to understand Bridget’s Scottish brogue.

I’d gone back to our bedroom to change for the barbecue. You know the drill, fancy long skirt, fancy blouse, wrap moccasins, and lots of silver jewelry. I redid my hair into a single braid with a fancy end. When I looked in the camera bag for some jewelry, and I noticed that a few pieces were missing. I figured that Amy had them for either herself or Bridget. I picked my braided leather headband with the Bald Eagle feather and put that on. Then I looked in the mirror and smiled.

When I walked out to the kitchen, everyone was standing there. My uncle looked at me and said, “It’s about time, Miss Nez.”

I put my hands on my hips and said, “Well, Mr. Biakeddy, it takes time for a girl to look pretty!”

Then as Ajie headed for the bedroom she said, “Oh. I’ve got to finish dressing.”

I saw my uncle shake his head as he said, “Women.”

I looked at Bridget, and she looked a little concerned. So I said, “Bridget, don’t worry, this goes on all the time. It’s just a little fun we have with each other.”

“Ah was wonderin’.”, Bridget said.

“Sorry, Bridget.”, Uncle Paul said. “It’s just a little friendly thing we do.”

“That’s okay, Mr. Biakeddy. I’m jist not used to things loch that.”

“That’s Uncle Paul.”

Bridget smiled and said, “Okay, Uncle Paul.”

Then Bridget looked at me, and said, “Kai, Ajie gave me some silver jewelry to wear. And ye look wonderful with yours.”

“Bridget, you look wonderful too.”, I said.

Bridget was wearing one of Ajie’s long shirts, a fancy blouse, and a pair of sneakers. Ajie’s moccasins wouldn’t fit her. Bridget’s red hair wasn’t long enough to braid, so it was a straight look with a beaded headband. She was also wearing a pair of Ajie’s beaded earrings, one bracelet and two rings, but no choker.

When Ajie came back, she had on more silver jewelry than I did. Among other things, she was wearing a squash blossom necklace, and I wasn’t. She had also put on her braided leather headband with the Eagle feather.

Bridget looked at the two of us standing side by side and said, “Th' tois ay ye swatch amazin'.”

Aunt Ruth looked at Bridget and asked, “Honey, what did you just say.”

“I’m sorry. Ah, some times get carried away. I said that they look amazin’.”

“That’s all right, Bridget. We’re just not used to your Scottish brogue yet.”

“Aye. And Ah sometimes slip in a few Scottish words.”

“Wait until you hear some Navajo.”

“Aye! Ah, have.”

“All right.”, Uncle Paul said, “Let’s go.”

The six of us started walking towards where the barbecue is held. And I heard Ajie say, “Bill, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know, sis.”, I heard Bill say. “I feel like the odd man out.”

“Why?”

“I’m the only one that isn’t dressed up.”

“Don’t worry, little brother. Wait until we get there, and you’ll see that there are many people dressed like you are.”

“Okay, sis.”

As we got closer, you could hear the drummers and flute players. As we walked into the barbecue area, you could smell the food. I looked around and saw some old friends, including Charlie and Jackie. We walked over to where they were and introduced Bill and Bridget to them. Then the whirlwind know as Dibe ran up, and Ajie and I got hugs, and we introduced her to Bill and Bridget.

Dibe gave Bridget a curious look and said, “You have red hair and green eyes, and you’re dressed like us. But you’re not Navajo. Are you?”

“Nae.”, Bridget said, “I’m from th' clan MacDonald.”

“I’ve never heard of the clan MacDonald before.”

“I’m from Scootland.”

“Oh. A long way from home.”

“Aye, but I’m happy tae be here.”

With a “I’ve loved meeting you Bridget. I’ve got to go dance. I’ll see you later.” Dibe ran off.

I shook my head. And Bridget said, “She’s full of energy.”

“Wait until you see her dance. Tonight will be nothing like tomorrow.”

“Is she a professional dancer?”

“No, she’s studying to be a doctor.”

“I’m impressed.”

“So are we.”

“An’ I loved ‘er costume.”

“We call that regalia.”

“Oh, Ah, see.”

We walked over to where the dancers were and watched as Dibe danced the basket dance with some of her friends. Then one of the boys did a hoop dance, and that really got Bridget’s attention as she said, “How’d he not get tangled up in all those hoaps?”

“Practice.”, I said.

Then Uncle Paul walked up and handed me the list of special guests. It wasn’t long, but there was a name on it that I wasn’t expecting to see. I looked at my uncle, pointed to the name, and said, “Are you sure?”

“Sure.”, Uncle Paul said. “It’ll be fun for her.”

“Okay.”

“The food is ready. You might as well get started.”

I showed the list to Ajie and pointed to the special name, Ajie smiled and whispered, “Do your best to embarrass her.”

“Let’s go.” I said to Ajie. Then I winked at Bill and said to Bridget, “Bridget, come and stand with us.”

I started as I usually do, by signaling the musicians and dancers that we were ready to begin. I waited for the dancers to stop. I picked up the microphone and said, “Good evening ladies and gentlemen my name is Kai Nez, and I would like to welcome you to our regular Friday barbecue with the following old Navajo greeting.”

Ajie and I together said, “Yá'át'ééh! Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí.

Then I said, “And for those of you that don’t speak Navajo, we just said, ‘Hello! It is good, and all is harmony around us.’ The food is almost ready. But first, we have a few special guests that we’d like to recognize.

“Our first special guest is the Chief of the Navajo Nation, Chief Kinlicheeny.”

Chief Kinlicheeny, did his usual greeting. Then I introduced Chief Clah and a couple of clan chiefs. Then I put my arm around Bridget and said, “And this young lady standing next to me is a special guest from a long way away. This is Bridget MacDonald, and she’s an exchange student from Scotland. She’s come out here to the wild west to see more of the country. Please make her feel welcome.”

Bridget did get a nice round of applause. Then Bridget whispered, “Ye embarrassed me.”

I whispered back, “Of course. And you’re in good company.”

Then Naainish gave us a short prayer, and then everyone got in line to eat.

Ajie, Bridget, and I walked over to where my aunt, uncle, Bill, Charlie, and Jackie were. And Bridget said, “Billy, did ye know they were gonna do thes?”

“No.”, Bill said. “I had no idea. But it was funny.”

“I’ll funny ye.” And Bill got a playful punch in the arm.

“Honey.”, Ajie said to Bridget. “As Kai said, you are in good company. She and I were both embarrassed this way. So was Dibe. And others.”

Bridget smiled as she said, “Ah, see. It was fin. Was that man really th' Chief of th' Navajo?”

“Yes. He’s a regular here. He likes to meet people.”

“Plus he likes the food.”, I added.

“An’ some of those men were clan chiefs?”

“Yes.”

“Mah farther is th’ clan chief of th’ Clan MacDonald.”

“Oh! So Bill married into royalty?”

“Nae, not royalty. It’s an elected post.”

“Just like with our Chiefs.”

As we were in line for food, several people stopped and said hello to Bridget. And the more people that stopped, the more she seemed to like it. As we went down the food line, we told Bridget what everything was, and she picked what she thought sounded good to her. She did take something spicy. It was Southwestern Corn, and Ajie warned her that it might be too spicy. Bridget must have liked it, as she finished it.

As we were sitting and talking after we’d finished eating, my aunt said, “I have a surprise for everyone, even you Charlie and Jackie, at the house after the bonfire.”

We took Bridget and Bill up the cliff trail to watch the Sunset, and Charlie and Jackie went along. And it appeared that Bridget and Jackie hit it off. When we reached the cliff top, Ajie and I took them over to where the small tree was. And Amy said, “Bill, do you remember that small tree that we brought with us when we moved out here?”

“Yeah. Everyone that was there the morning that you left thought it was silly that you took it with you.”

“Everyone?”, I asked.

“Well, I don’t think your mother did.”

“The Navajo among that group.”

“So, what about that little tree?”, Bill asked.

“That’s it right there.” And I pointed to it.

“Wow. That’s grown.”

“What’s so special about th’ tree?”, Bridget asked.

I went on to tell them the short story about the tree being up here and dead. Then us doing the photo shoot, the tree being hit by lightning, and us taking pieces of it home. Then making the picture frames out of some of it and planting a twig even though it appeared dead. And that it had sprouted. Then bring it back out here.

Bridget looked at me and said, “It was dead when ye planted it?”

“It appeared that was”, I replied.

“An’ it sprooted?

“Yes.”

“Was it th’ spirits that helped?”

“Very possibly.”

“Kai, ye have scared me before. But now … ”

Jackie looked at Bridget and said, “Bridget, don’t be scared of Kai. We’ve been around them a lot and have seen things that I still don’t understand, including this tree. She has a connection to the spirits that I know that I’ll never understand. She’s special, like Ajie is, to her people, and some others. And I can see why. I accept her for who she is. A wonderful person.”

“Bridget.”, I said. “I really hope that I don’t scare you. And to be completely honest, I don’t understand all of this. And I don’t think I ever will. I know our medicine man friend, who is much older than I am, doesn’t understand it all either.”

“Kai, I’m not scared. But it’s sure different. But Ama beginnin’ to see how special the two of you ur.”, Bridget said.

“Just give it time.”

“Ah, will.”

And I received a big hug from Bridget.

Then Ajie said, “Bridget remind me to show you the picture in the hotel lobby. It’s of the original dead tree and Kai.”

“Ah want to see that.”, Bridget said.

We then turned our attention to the Sunset. And like most of them out here, this one didn’t disappoint. After it had set, we walked out to where there were some guests, and as we walked back down the trail, we talked.

Once back down at the hotel, we walked to where the bonfire was. My aunt, uncle, Naainish, and others were there. My uncle handed me two long matches and something to strike them on. I gave a match to Ajie, and we walked over to the little trough that had kerosene in it. Ajie and I knelt, lit our matches, then together we lit the kerosene. And it wasn’t long until the bonfire was ablaze. Of course, before it was blazing too big, Ajie and I had gotten up and gone to where everyone else was.

My aunt handed me a rug. I placed it over my arm, then Ajie and I walked to where we like to sit. I spread out the rug, and Ajie and I sat side by side. I looked to where my aunt, uncle, Naainish, Bill, Bridget, and everyone else was. Then I looked at the fire and felt the spirits.

I heard Naainish start a chant, I joined him, and Ajie joined us. As we chanted, I again had the vision of the Indian girl, the wolf, and the Eagle. The Eagle was holding the three necklaces.

As we finished our chant, Ajie and I got up. I picked up the rug, folded it, and put it over my arm. Then we walked back to where everyone was. As we walked up, I said to Naainish, “Naainish, thank you for the chant.”

“Kai Nez. Ajie Nez.”, Naainish said. “It was my pleasure.”

I looked at Bridget, and she gave me a little smile. Then my aunt said, “Come on, let’s go to the house.”

“Aunt Ruth, you and the others go on.”, I said. “Ajie and I want to show Bill and Bridget something in the hotel.”

“Well, okay. But don’t be too long.”

“We won’t.”

“Bill, Bridget, Ajie, and I went into the hotel and to the lobby. We first pointed out the display case with the silver in it. Then we showed them the picture of the dead tree and me.

As Bridget looked at the picture, Bill said, “Kai, both Bridget and I felt something while you and Ajie were sitting by the fire. It was like a calming effect. Like everything was in … in … ”

“In harmony.”, I said.

“Aye, in harmony.”, Bridget said.

I smiled and said, “That’s what I felt too.”

“Me too.”, Ajie said. “And we’d better get to the house.”

The six of us headed to the house and were surprised to see not only Naainish, but Chief Kinlicheeny and his wife, and Chief Clah and his wife. My aunt looked at us and said, “It’s about time. I need help making fried ice cream.”

“Fried ice cream?”, Bridget asked.

“You’ll love it.”, I said.

My aunt, Ajie, Jackie, and I set up a production line. As we finished one, Charlie would deliver it. And as we were working, I listened to the conversation, and it appeared that Bridget and the wives of the two chiefs were getting along. They were asking Bridget about Scotland.

When the four of us were finally able to sit down and enjoy our fried ice cream, Bridget said to me, “Kai, that fried ice cream was amazin’!”

“It always is.”, I said. “I’m glad Aunt Ruth put honey on it.”

“Och, that was so guid!”

Before he left, Chief Clah, handed me two envelopes, and said, “Kai, these are yours and Ajie petitions for the name change. Look them over, and we can make any changes that you want. But don’t sign them. They have to be signed in front of the clerk of courts.”

“Thanks, Chief. We’ll look them over and let you know. Are we still looking at Wednesday?”

“That would be good. I’ll be in my office in Albuquerque that day.”

“I’ll call your office on Monday and set it up.”

“That would be good, Kai.”

Later after everyone had left, and we were helping Aunt Ruth clean up. Bridget said, “Kai, yer friends, even though they’re important, were so nice.”

“Yes, they are.”, I said. “They’re very nice and easy to talk to.”

“But why did they use yer full name when they talked about you?”

“I’ve been told that it’s because of the respect that they have for me.”

“Aye. Ah, can see that.”

After we ate breakfast on Saturday morning, we changed for the dance competition. Bill even wore a red shirt and red cloth headband with his jeans. And Bridget was in her long plaid skirt. Fancy white blouse with lace, the plaid sash with the sash pin. Ajie and I were in Biil dresses with our Eagle feather headdresses and a lot of jewelry. And the fancy wrap moccasins. Yes, of course we were still wearing the meteorite necklaces.

When Bridget saw Ajie and me, she shook her head and said, “Ayy thought ye two were dressed up last night. But this is beyond wonderful.”

“And Bridget.”, Aunt Ruth said. “You look wonderful too.”

“Thenk ye, Aunt Ruth. These are our fancy frock. Is it too much?”

“No, honey, it isn’t. Everyone dresses up in their finest for these things.”

The six of us, yes, even Uncle Paul was going, piled into our car, and we headed for Santa Fe. As we got to Santa Fe, I followed Uncle Paul’s directions. And it wasn’t long until we were at the high school where the competition was being held.

We parked and walked towards the school, and we started seeing dancers in their regalia. And Bridget said, “Kai, Ah, see what ye mean about all th fancy regalia.”

“You just wait.”, Aunt Ruth said. “It gets better.”

“Och.”

As we walked into the building, one of the male dancers, a teenage boy, looked at Bridget, and said in a nasty way, “What are you supposed to be?”

I looked at him, frowned, and said, “She’s from Scotland, and this is their fancy dress. Just be happy that she isn’t carrying her Claymore .”

“What’s this Claymore thing?”

“It’s a big sword that she could smack you up the side of the head with for being so nasty to her.”

“And just who are you to be talking to me this way.”

“Don’t worry about who I am. Worry about your dancing. Because you’re not going to do very well today.”

“Says you.”

I smiled and said, “To dance well, you have to have a good attitude, and you don’t.”

Then we heard, “Kai!”

I looked and saw Dibe and a couple of her friends running up to us. And as usual, Ajie and I got some wonderful hugs. Then Dibe looked at Bridget and said, “Bridget, I just love how you’re dressed.”

“An’ Ah love yer regalia too, Dibe.”, Bridget said.

And they hugged. Then Dibe looked at the boy and said, “Is your mouth getting you in trouble again, Gad?”

“No, and it’s none of your business anyway.”, Gad said.

“Gad, you need to be careful who you talk nasty too.”

“Who cares.” And the boy walked away.

Then Dibe said, “You need to forgive him. He just lost his older brother in Vietnam. And it’s really changed him.”

“I can understand that.”, I said.

“Aye, so can Ah.”, Bridget said.

“Dibe, what’s his full name?”

“It’s Gad Deschene.”, Dibe replied.

Then Dibe said, “Kai, you and Ajie need to join us for the Grand Entrance.”

I looked at Bridget and said, “Honey, you and Bill go with my aunt and uncle, and find seats for the six of us, and we’ll find you after the Grand Entrance.”

“Okay.”, Bridget said. “What’s a Grant Entrance?”

“That’s where all the dancers dance into the arena showing off their regalia and their dance moves. Then there’s a ceremony to open the competition.”

Ajie and I went off with Dibe and her friends.

It wasn’t five minutes later that the Grand Entrance started and we walked into the gymnasium where the competition was being held. Dibe and her friends were showing off their regalia and dance steps, and Ajie and I attempted to dance a little.

The young man, Gad, that we’d talked with earlier, wasn’t far from us. I worked my way over to him. He looked at me and said, “What do you want?”

“Gad.”, I said. “I understand your pain.”

“How can you?”

“I’ve lost friends to this war.”

“But, I lost a brother.”

“I know. And that’s hard.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m Kai Nez,”

He looked at me and said, “Kai Nez?”

“Yes.”

“Why do I know that name.”

“I’m a Nádleeh.”

“Oh no! My mom and grandmother are going to kill me, I’ve upset a Nádleeh.”

“No, Gad. You haven’t upset me. I felt that you were in pain when you walked up to us. And now I know why. Hold my hand and dance with me.”

He looked at me, and I offered him my hand. He took it, and I said, “Gad, nothing is ever gained being mean to people. And it isn’t a good way to remember your brother. You need to remember the good times that you had with him. To remember that the Great Spirit is now protecting his spirit. And to remember that he loved you.”

Gad and I danced together until the Grand Entrance was over. Then Dibe and Ajie walked over to us, and Dibe said, “Gad, you’ve made a very good friend.”

“I … I feel that.”, Gad said. “Miss Nez, I don’t know why but I feel better about a lot of things.”

“That’s good, Gad. I hope you do well today.”

“I think I might.”

“Remember what I said about your brother.”

“Yes, Miss Nez, I will.” With that, Gad walked away.

Dibe then said, “Thank you, Kai. He’s needed help.”

“I know. I felt his pain.”

They did the opening ceremony, and then called for the women’s shawl dance, and Dibe said, “That’s me. Gotta run.”

“We’ll see you later.”

Ajie and I started walking around the gymnasium looking for my aunt and uncle or Bill and Bridget, and we finally found them, we took our seats just as the shawl dance started. Dibe and maybe twenty-five other women were out there dancing. Bridget said, “Ahh can’t believe how they dance. It’s so fast, and th’ footwork is amazin’.”

We watched until they finished, then Bridget asked, “What were ye sayin’ to the lad?”

“When he walked up to us and said what he did, I could feel his pain. And when Dibe told us about his brother, I just had to try and help him.”

I saw Bridget smile, and she just said, “Aye.”

They then announced the winner of the women’s shawl dance, and it was no surprise to me that it was Dibe. We watched the rest of the morning dance competition. And the boy, Gad, did well in the one dance we saw him in. He didn’t win but took third place.

We then went looking for lunch, and my uncle led us to the frybread tacos. And we had a nice lunch on my uncle.

My aunt and uncle went back to watch the dancing, and Bill, Bridget, Ajie, and I went and looked at the vendor area. Vendors were selling all kinds of things, from parts for dance regalia, to beadwork, to clothes, to jewelry.

As we wandered the vendor's area, we ran into Mrs. Benallie, who owns the clothing shop just outside of Santa Fe. She saw us before we saw her, and we heard, “Kai Nez. Ajie Nez.”

We looked and saw Mrs. Benallie. I smiled and said, “Yá’át’ééh, Asdza´a´ Benallie. - (It is good, Mrs. Benallie.)”

“It’s good seeing you again.”, Mrs. Benallie said.

“It is good seeing you too.”

“Are you looking for anything in particular?”

I looked at Bridget and said, “I don’t know. Are we.”

“Aye, maybe. Ah wore one of the long skirts that Ah see here and it was comfortable.”, Bridget said.

“What’s the tartan that you’re wearing. It’s pretty.”

“It’s my clan tartan. Th’ Clan MacDonald. An’ it’s wool an’ hot to wear out here.”

“That’s why the girls wear what they do.”

Bridget picked out a cute long skirt and went behind a screen to try it on. When she came out, she said, “I’ll tak’ this. Can Ah wear it?”

“Of course, dear.”, Mrs. Benallie said. “I’ll wrap up your plaid skirt for you.”

I think Mrs. Benallie charged Bridget what she charges us for skirts.

Bill carried the package with Bridget’s tartan skirt and sash in it. And we continued looking around. We then found someone selling silver jewelry, and his things looked nice. Bridget found a pair of earrings that she liked, she asked to see them, and the man took them out of the case and showed them to her. They had a small round Concho with a small piece of round turquoise set in the middle, and that was set inside another fancy silver round.

I took one of them from Bridget and carefully looked at it. I turned it over and looked at the back. I first saw the small ‘s’ meaning that they were sterling silver, then I saw the maker’s mark. So, I asked the man if that was his maker’s mark, and it was. Then I asked him his name, and he replied, “Niyol Hatathli.”

Mr. Hatathli had been looking at what Ajie and I were wearing and said, “That’s some very nice silver that you and your friend are wearing.”

“Thank you.”, I said. “Most of it was made by my grandfather.”

“Who was that?”

“Kilchii Nez.”

“Oh! I’ve heard of him. So you must be Kai Nez?”

“I am. And this is my cousin, Ajie Nez. And her brother and his girlfriend.”

“Sike Yazzie told me about you and your grandfathers.”

“You knew Mr. Yazzie?”

“Yes, and I’ll miss him.”

“So will we. He was a good friend.”, I said as I touched the ring that Mr. Yazzie had made, and I was wearing on my right ring finger.

“Yes, he was.”, Mr. Hatathli said. 

“Your work is very nice, Mr. Hatathli.”

“Thank you. Sike told me that you knew your silver.”

“A little bit.”

I looked at Bridget and whispered, “Do you like those earrings?”

“Aye.”, Bridget whispered back. “But it’s a wee expensife.”

He had a price of fifteen dollars on the earrings. So I whispered, “His work is really nice and worth it. Offer him ten and agree if he offers to sell them for twelve-fifty.”

Bridget then said, “Ah. Mr. Hatathli, how about ten fur th’ earrings?”

I saw Mr. Hatathli smile as he said, “How about twelve.”

“‘at sounds fine.”

As Bridget handed Mr. Hatathli twelve dollars, he asked her, “Young lady, where are you from?”

“Edinborough, Scootland.”

“Welcome to New Mexico.”

“Thank ye. An’ thank ye for th’ earrings.”

As Bridget replaced the earring she was wearing with the new ones, I asked, “Mr. Hatathli, do you have a shop?”

“Yes.”, Mr. Hatathli replied as he handed me a business card. “We’re not far off the square on East Palace in downtown Santa Fe.”

“We may have to stop in and visit you the next time we’re in Santa Fe.”

“Where are you from?”

“Originally, Ohio, but we live in Albuquerque now.”

“You’re Navajo. Aren’t you?”

“Aoó.”, I replied. “Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. - (Yes. It is good, and all is harmony around us.)”

“Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. Have you heard about the Annual Indian Market?”

“Yes. But we’ve never been able to come.”

“It’s next weekend.”

I shook my head and said, “It figures. We’re going to be out of town next weekend.”

“That’s unfortunate.” Then Mr. Hatathli said, “Wait a minute. Kai Nez. You’re the Nádleeh – (two spirit person). Aren’t you?”

“Guilty as charged.”, I replied.

“It’s been really nice to meet you.”

“And you too. And you’ll see us again.”

As we walked away, Bridget asked, “Whit did ye say to each other that Ah couldn’t understand and won’t even try to pronounce?”

I smiled as I said, “It was a greeting. I said, Nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí. Which means it is good, and all is harmony around us. And he repeated it back to me.”

We went back to the gymnasium, found my aunt and uncle, and watched part of the afternoon competition. Dibe and her friends were in the basket dance, and they won that. Bridget was interested in the jingle dress dancing.

As we were getting ready to leave the competition, we tried to find Dibe to say so long, but we didn’t have any luck in finding her. But a woman walked up to us and asked me, “Are you, Miss Nez?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “And you are?”

“I’m Gad’s mother.”

“I’m sorry to hear of your loss, Mrs. Deschene.”

“Thank you. And thank you for talking to Gad.”

“I felt his pain over the loss of his brother, and I just had to try and help him.”

“You felt his pain. How?”

“Mrs. Deschene.”, Ajie said. “Kai is a Nádleeh. And she can, at times, feel things.”

“A … A Nádleeh!?”, Mrs. Deschene said.

“Yes.”

“Oh my! Are you the one that we’ve read about?”

“It’s possible.”, I said. “I hope that I helped him.”

“I … I think that you just might have.”, Mrs. Deschene said. “He seems to have calmed down and is almost his old self. What can I do to thank you?”

“Nothing. Just help Gad in any way that you can. He needs support from you and the whole family.”

“We’ve tried. But nothing seemed to help.”

“Maybe what I did will give you a good start. You just need to keep it going.”

“We’ll try. Thank you again, Miss Nez.”, Mrs. Deschene said.

“Hágoónee' - (see you later), Mrs. Deschene.”, I replied.

“Hágoónee', Miss Nez.”

With that, Mrs. Deschene walked away. Bill looked at me and said, “They do respect you. Don’t they?”

“I guess.”, I replied.

“Nae, guess, Kai. They do.”, Bridget said.

When we were back at the resort, my aunt and uncle wanted to take us to the restaurant for dinner, but that wouldn’t be for more than an hour. So, I suggested that we take a walk.

Bill, Bridget, Ajie, and I all changed into comfortable clothes and shoes. Then I led our little group towards the round barn. Bill was surprised with the round barn, and it looked like they’ve been working on it to try and save it. Then we walked across the bridge and towards the remote hogan. As we walked up to the hogan, Bridget asked, “Is this a real hogan?”

“Yes, it’s closer to what some of the people out in the Nation live in.”, I replied.

“Can we go in?”

“Of course.”, I said as I held the blanket that was across the door open.

Ajie went in first, followed by Bill, Bridget, and me. I left the flap open to allow some light inside. The light from the door and the smoke hole provided just enough light so that you could see. You could see the fire pit, and that there was some straw on the floor with a blanket on it.

“Does someone live here?”, Bill asked.

“No.”, I replied. “Naainish will stay here when he’s in the area. He says that he likes to be out here with nature. And it’s also used for ceremonies.”

“Have you stayed here?”

“No, we’ve been here for a ceremony or two, plus a meeting.”

Bridget noticed the remnants of colored sand on the floor and asked, “Whit is th' colored sand for?”

“It’s from ceremonies.”, I replied. “A medicine man will do a sand painting on the ground. Then after the ceremony, it’s destroyed.”

“Destroyed. Why!?”

“It’s just the way it is.”

“Whit do these sand paintings look lock?”, Bridge asked.

“There are two of them in the entrance hall to our house one on either side of the Wolf Prayer.”, I replied. “One is of the Yei Spirits, and the other represents the four sacred mountains.”

“Aye, Ah, remember those when we came in through the’ front door. How can these be on the wall?”

“Naainish has a friend that has a way to frame them.”, I replied. “I guess somehow once a painting is done. He applies glue or something to preserve them.”

We left the hogan and walked back to the house. And then we had dinner with my aunt and uncle at the restaurant. As we were eating, I asked, “Aunt Ruth, Bill doesn’t have a bathing suit. If we went to the pools, would it be okay for him to wear shorts?”

“As long as they aren’t ragged like some of the jean’s shorts are, and you don’t go to the mud pool.”, Aunt Ruth replied.

I looked at Bill and Bridget and said, “Want to try the pools after dinner?”

“Sure.”, Bill said.

“Wa not.”, Bridget added.

The four of us went to the mineral pools and spent about forty-five minutes soaking. Then after we’d showered and redressed, we just spent time sitting on the patio behind the house, talking and watching stars.

Bridget said, “Kai, ye know when ye told that boy, Gad, that Ah could slap him on the side of the head with a Claymore?”

“Yes.”, I replied.

“Ah can’t even lift a Claymore. They’re too heavy.”

We laughed.

Then I asked Bill and Bridget, “Have we done too much for you two?”

“No.”, Bill said. “It’s been fun.”

“Aye, it has.”, Bridget added.

“Good. I was worried that we’d hit you with too much too soon.”

“No. Don’t worry, we’d tell you. You’ve made it interesting so far.”

“So, what would you like to do tomorrow?”

“I’d like to see some more of the area.”

“Aye, so would Ah.”, Bridget said.

“So, would you like to see those adobe buildings that are over a thousand years old?”, I asked.

“Aye!”

“It’s only an hour's drive north of here.”

Sunday morning, we had breakfast with my aunt and uncle. While we ate, I reminded my aunt and uncle that we’d be back next Friday, but only for the barbecue as we had an early flight out on Saturday morning.

Then after a nice, long, hágoónee' - (see you later) between Bill and Bridget, and my aunt and uncle, we headed north to the Taos Pueblo.

As we approached the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, I pulled into the rest area. Bill looked at the bridge and said, “This is some kind of bridge.”

“It is.”, I said. “Want to walk out on it?”

“Sure.”, Bill said.

“Nae me.”, Bridget added.

Bill and I got out of the car and walked out to the middle of the bridge, which is six-hundred and fifty feet above the Rio Grande River. Bill was impressed. We walked back to the car and finished our drive to the Taos Pueblo.

As we pulled up to the Pueblo, Bridget asked, “Do people still live here?”

“Yes.”, Ajie replied. “The multi-level adobe buildings have been continuously occupied for over a thousand years.”

We parked and walked up to the entrance building and paid our fee. Yes, we were being tourists. We followed the walking tour that was in the brochure that we’d been given. We showed Bill and Bridget the new chapel, and the old church and cemetery. We talked to them about the people of the Pueblo following both the old ways, Catholicism, and a combination of the two.

As we walked past one of the barricades to keep tourists out of parts of the Pueblo, I pointed out where the Kivas or underground ceremonial chambers were. And as Bridget started to ask why they were underground, we heard a voice say, “Kai, why not show them the Kivas?”

We turned and looked at where the voice was coming from. I smiled as I said, “Quah Ah!”

“Hello, Kai. Ajie.”, Quah Ah said. “Someone said that you were here.”

After hugs, we introduced everyone. And I explained to Bill and Bridget that Quah Ah was a medicine woman. Then Quah Ah asked, “Would you like to see one of the Kivas?”

Bridget said, “Aye. Ah, would.”

Quah Ah took us over and down into one of the Kivas and then explained it to us. When we were done, Quah Ah said, “I’m meeting Chief Lefthand at Mary Esthers for lunch if you’d like to join us.”

“Won’t we be intruding?”, I asked.

“Kai, you intrude? Never. By the way, Chief Lefthand is now the Tribal Governor.”

I smiled and said, “That is good.”

“Yes, it is.”

“Whit is Mary Esthers?”, Bridget asked.

“It’s a cafe, and they have good food.”, Quah Ah replied.

As the five of us walked into Mary Esther’s Cafe, Governor Lefthand saw us, stood up, and waved to us. We walked over and had to get a bigger table for the six of us. We introduced everyone, and we also congratulated Governor Lefthand on his new position.

We sat and enjoyed a nice lunch and good conversation. Governor Lefthand was intrigued by Bridget and her Scottish brogue, and what she was doing here.

After lunch, we headed back south towards Albuquerque and home. But, with a stop to see the Eagles. The barricade was still across the parking area, but I just moved it. As I got back into the car, Bill asked, “I thought that all of this was part of the Navajo Nation? But that said Santa Ana Pueblo on it.”

“It’s not all part of the Navajo Nation. There are various tribes in the area, like the Taos Pueblo, the Pueblo of Zuni, the Mescalero Apache, and the Sandia Pueblo that is right behind our house. The Nation is more west of us.”

“So ye can come here an’ just move the’ barricade?”, Bridget asked.

“Yes.”, Ajie replied. “When we get to the Eagle’s nest, we’ll tell you the story behind them and us.”

“Ah, cannae wait to hear this.”

We parked and walked the trail to the gate in the fence. And Bill said, “I guess you can go through this gate too?”

I looked at him, smiled, and said, “Yep.”

I opened the gate, and we walked to where we could see the Eagle’s nest. It was quiet, so I told Bill and Bridget the story behind the Eagle’s from first seeing them back in Ohio, then how we felt that they followed us to New Mexico, and now they're here with young.

Just as I finished talking, we saw a shadow pass over us, and we looked up as one of the adult Bald Eagles landed on the nest. He turned, looked at us, and squawked. Then over the next couple of minutes, the whole family showed up. And the last Eaglet to arrive was carrying a fish. Not a big fish, but a fish.

Bill said, “This is amazing. Five Bald Eagles in one place, and they seem to enjoy us being here.”

“They do.”, I replied. “And if Ajie and I weren’t here, they wouldn’t be here.”

“You’re kidding me?”

“No, the people from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service couldn’t believe it either, until they saw it.”

“And you think one of the young ones was at the house the other day?”

“It’s possible. They’re exploring and who knows where they go.”

Bridget had been quiet, but finally, she said, “Kai an’ Ajie, ye two are amazing. Ye have amazing friends, not only people but these fantastic birds.”

Neither Ajie or I said anything. But we watched as all but one of the Eagles took off. One of the adult Eagles stayed for a little longer than usual. Then with a squawk, he took off and circled us twice, then headed off to who knows where.

As he did this, Ajie said, “We’ve just been blessed.”

“Blessed?”, Bridget asked.

“It’s said that if an Eagle circles you twice that they are blessing you. Remember that we feel that they are the courier between the Great Spirit and us.”

“Aye, blessed.”

When we were finally back in Albuquerque, it was dinner time. So, we treated Bill and Bridget to Nunzio's Pizza. Even though school wasn’t in session, there was still a short line. And as we ate, Bill said, “This is better than what I’ve had at home.”

“I think Nunzio’s and the Cottage Inn, back home, are really close.”, I replied.

When we were finally home and walking into the house, Bridget walked into the front entrance hall. We followed her as she walked up to the three wall hangings and looked at them. I walked over to the wall switch and turned on the lights.

Bridget pointed at the sand painting with the two Yei spirits and asked, “Is that th’ spirit paintin’?”

“Yes.”, Ajie replied. “The Yei spirits. It’s believed that they mediate between the Great Spirit and the people. And they also control the elements like the rain, snow, Sun, and wind.”

“An’ th’ other is the four mountains?”

“Yes, it’s believed that when the Holy People created the Navajo or Diné that they created four sacred mountains that border the Homeland. Blanca Peak is represented by white in the East, Mount Taylor represented by blue to the South, the San Francisco Peaks represented by yellow to the West, and Mount Hesperus represented by black to the North.”

“So, diz Diné mean Navajo?”, Bridget asked.

“No.”, I replied. “It means The People. The name Navajo was given to The People a long time ago by the Spanish.”

“There’s a lot that th’ Navajo fowk believe in. Isn’t there?”

“Yes.”

“An, Kai, th’ Wolf Prayer is ye.”

As we walked into the big room, I looked at the answering machine, and the light was blinking. I rewound the tape, pressed play, and heard, “Kai, it’s Dr. Joe. It’s Friday afternoon, and there’s been a change of plans with Los Alamo. Give me a call as soon as you can.”

I said, “Now what!?”

“There’s only one way to find out, Kai.”, Ajie said.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A beautiful...

and most welcome present to wake up to find :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Thanks, Nuuan.

Thanks, Nuuan.

That's my Teddie again

Monique S's picture

with her cliff hangers. (big grin) What a nice christmas present. I hope you and your family are well and have a merry time.

Cuddles,
Monique.

Monique S

It's been a while since I did

It's been a while since I did a cliff hanger, so I just had to do it as a Christmas present ;-)

Yáʼátʼééh Késhmish. - (Good wishes at Christmas time.)

Teddie

Trials and tribulations

Merry Christmas and thank for your gift to your readers. That is probably the only time I
will thank someone for a cliffhanger.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thank You

Thank you for this Christmas day posting of your wonderful series.

Thanks, cbee

Thanks, cbee

Thank you Teddie for the

Thank you Teddie for the pleasant surprise.

Thanks, Yeah me.

Thanks, Yeah me.

Some funny coincidence?

In Russian "Gad" in literature and the Bible is the word that means, roughly, "reptilian or/and amphibian" and could be used as colloquial to group together snakes, lizards and frogs.
In common contemporary usage it is a word that means nasty, underhanded, "slimy" person prone to intentionally make life difficult for others without any conceivable reason.

In Navajo Gad means juniper,

In Navajo Gad means juniper, which is a tree or shrub of the genus Juniperus.

There are two types of Navajo Juniper trees:

Gad biką‘ígíí – Male juniper tree and Gad ni’eełii – Drooping juniper”

Both types of Juniper tree are sacred to the Dine’ people as they have many positive and beneficial uses in the Dine’ traditional ceremonies. The juniper seeds are often made into bracelets or necklaces to protect the wearer from evil and negative thoughts or any evil thought to follow or torment the wearer. These bracelets are also made for birthing mothers to aid the mother for a smooth birth and to protect the soul of the newborn. The branches from the juniper tree are boiled as tea and served to the mother after birthing to help her in a quick recovery, for purification and to bless her & her child with all the positive elements of the earth. This tea is often used to cure stomach problems & headaches. The juniper berries are also burned to create juniper ashes used for cooking, medicine and various offerings. The tree bark & berries are used in ceremonial blessings for any new structures/hogans, rites, purification & also consumed as a drink or food.

The Israelite Tribe of Gad

smdani4mm's picture

I'm not getting the idea of Reptilian like Manic Racer is. According to the Bible, the name גָּד (Gad) is equivalent to the word גַּד (gad) which means "luck", "happiness", "success". The Tribe of Gad originated from Gad, the seventh son of Jacob. Jacob's Blessing to his son Gad was "“Gad will be attacked by a band of raiders, but he will attack them at their heels." The Israelite tribe was fierce and warlike; they were "strong men of might, men of war for the battle, that could handle shield and buckler, their faces the faces of lions, and like roes upon the mountains for swiftness. The were also herders of Cattle. The portion allotted to the tribe of Gad was on the east of Jordan, and comprehended the half of Gilead, a region of great beauty and fertility, bounded on the east by the Arabian desert, on the west by the Jordan, (now part of the country of Jordan), and provided a bulwark to the Israelite Tribes from Eastern Invaders.

Dani

P.S. Yáʼátʼééh Késhmish and thanks for the Story - Teddie.

SmDani4

... But I didn't get you anything ... :(

Happy Holiday(s)! (Pick zero or more ...)

A really very nice (and my first today) Christmas/"Solstice"/New Year's gift! :).

Just about every single Tommy/Tammy/Kai and company stories gives me either happy or sad sniffles, and sometimes both.

Thank you!
---
A small quibble ... Chief Todachine coming to this chapter's BBQ ... Perhaps more mysterious than you wanted, even for the Great Spirit...?

Thanks, Alan. I appreciate

Thanks, Alan. I appreciate all the comments and that you are enjoying the story

Great Timing

My5InchFMHeels's picture

The dance competition was great timing for Bill and Bridget to get to see more of the community that Kai and Ajie thrive in.

Things just work out

Things just work out sometimes.

Christmas Present

Teek's picture

This has been a lovely Christmas Present you have given us. Thank you for the gift. It is greatly appreciated.

You did a good job in this chapter. When the jewelry was missing, I thought that maybe they got robbed at the car accident.

I always love a Dibe visit, and the introduction of a new jeweler was unexpected.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

You and everyone else are

You and everyone else are very welcome, Teek.

Back in those days to get into the trunk took a key. No button on a key fob. No little lever on the floor to pull. So, being locked in the trunk the silver would be fairly safe.

We needed a jeweler, other than the cousin, around. We'll have to see how big of a part he plays in the story.

Teddie

Picture of Bridget

smdani4mm's picture

You should add a picture of Bridget in Clan Regalia to the story.

Dani

SmDani4

I thought about that but

I thought about that but could never come up with something that I liked.

i see what you mean.

smdani4mm's picture

I did a quick search for girls in Scottish Tartan, and there is nothing i would say is representative. Need to have a Tartan Long Skirt and a sash. I could find pictures or one or the other but not both. Lots of pictures of Guys in a Kilt.

Dani

SmDani4

Thank you Teddie

Thank you Teddie for the efforts that you took in order to not only give us this splendidly eventful Chapter but to deliver it to your avid readers as a surprise gift for Christmas Day.

The cliff-hanger that you finished with to tease us has had a masochistic twist as it also puts pressure on you to rescue us all with your posting of the next Chapter!

Best wishes to you and yours for the festive season.

Brit

Pressure, Pressure! What

Pressure, Pressure! What pressure!!!!?

I hope you have/had a wonderful holiday season, Brit.

Ooh a nice long chapter for Christmas

Thanks Teddie, it was a fun and interesting read. I usually learn something new about NM or the Navajo. I'm always opening a new window to Google about something when I read your story.

Hi, Wendy K.

Hi, Wendy K.

I find it interesting that you're using my story as a learning tool. I do try to keep my story as true as to what was going on back in the '60s. What scares me is that I remember most of it.

Remembering

There's a saying "if you remember the '60's, you weren't really there."

Oh, I was there and remember

Oh, I was there and remember it. I did two of the three things, drugs, sex, and rock & roll, that the time period was known for. And I'll let you guess the two. ;-)

the 60's

If we could only go back to life such as that! Although I listened to country, so that takes out both drugs and rock and roll. It was a time when you could send your kids out to play and not worry about someone taking off with them.

Icecream trucks were immaculately clean, not the broken down vans with a crude window cut into the side we see now, and the driver wore a all white uniform that included a bow tie and hat!

God what kind of trouble would a mother get into now days for telling her child to go play in traffic?

We didn't have warning labels on everything either back then. We knew better than to use a hair dryer while in the shower! And I still can't imagine anyone brain dead enough to want to insert a hot curling iron into a body orifice like the label warns against on those!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I would love to go back to

I would love to go back to those days. And as was said at the beginning of every Lone Ranger Adventure:

"Hi-Yo, Silver! A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty 'Hi-Yo Silver'... The Lone Ranger! With his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early Western United States. Nowhere in the pages of history can one find a greater champion of justice. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. From out of the past come the thundering hoof-beats of the great horse Silver. The Lone Ranger rides again!"

The grand tour

Kai and Ajie are pulling out all the stops for their cousins this chapter.

It would take more than a

It would take more than a week to see all that New Mexico has to offer let alone the Southwestern U.S. We haven't even hit on Carlsbad Caverns. Not to mention watching the bats fly out at dusk.

A very nice >Omission< ...

I notice (took me a while ...) that smoking and tobacco seem to be completely absent from "Tommy, the .."

Some things are best left in the past. Thank you for omitting tobacco.

I've hated smoking since I was 4 years old ... A hint as to how long ago that was: I have one fragmentary memory of seeing Eisenhower on TV...)

I agree about smoking, iI's

I agree about smoking, iI's taken too many people out of our lives. I've never, I think, used smoking in any of my stories.

Good!

smdani4mm's picture

Yeah for you.

SmDani4

Helping once again

Jamie Lee's picture

Bridget would never see such sights in Scotland, though that land is rich with history. She is seeing and hearing about tribes, akin to Scotish clans. Maybe it's because of similarities that Bridget seems at ease being in the area.

Gad's change in behavior and attitude since the death of his brother shows how close they were. And as Kai has done before, she helped calm his spirit enough so he wasn't as mournful as he was before. Maybe now he can grieve in a way that doesn't send him down a self destructive path.

Bill and Bridget are making some wonderful memories that might cause them to return when it's time to settle down, unless Bill has equally strong feelings of Scotland.

Change of plans with LA? Do they want fries with their order?

Others have feelings too.

No, onion rings.

No, onion rings and a ginger ale milkshake.