Castle The Series - 0060 Douglas, Yvette & Family, Judith & Family

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004050

DON’T YOU DARE TRY TO ESCAPE

BRAEKFAST LUNELIGHT (42) AND DOUGLAS (52)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

1st of Chent Day 4

Douglas awoke at six, and though he had just slept the entire night with his arms berount(1) her, it taekt(2) him a second or two to remember he had been invited for dinner by Lunelight after Gordon had introduced him to her. He had been instantly attracted to Lunelight. It had been rare in his life he had met a woman who came to any where near his shoulder. Lunelight was an attractive, deep bosomed and wide hipped woman of six feet and half a span. Both of them were intelligent. Marriage had been suggested with a mechanism for avoiding loss of face should the suggestion not be acceptable. It was agreeable to them both, and they had both acknowledged they were not in love, but they agreed love would grow.

Lunelight had lost her man to the fevers, she had never had children and had telt(3) him she hadn’t had a man in her bed since then and was looking forward to it. Douglas had separated a few years ago from a wife who had always managed to spend more than he earnt. He had admitted to having enjoyed a woman a few times after that, but said he could count the occasions on the fingers of one hand, and somehow none of them had ever lived up to his expectations, but he also was looking forward to it. He had never had any children either.

He’d asked Lunelight why she had propositioned him. She’d shrugged her shoulders, and said “I don’t know. May hap a bit of loenth,(4) all things pass in time. I’m glad I doet,(5) and I doet like the look of you.” Almost inconsequentially, she added, “I’m taller than most men.”

Douglas nodded, understanding that the matter was aught but inconsequential to her. She’d then asked him why he accepted, and he’d replied “I didn’t like being without a wife. It’s not comfortable, if you know what I mean?” She’d nodded, and he’d continued, “I don’t know, I’m a big tall man, and you’re tall enough to look me in the eyes and kiss me without either of us breaking our necks. I liked that, and I liked the look of you. I like the way you look now even better.”

Since neither of them had been wearing anything at the time she said, with an arch expression on her face, “My gratitude, Douglas. Are you planning on doing aught as a consequence?”

He hadn’t bothered to reply, but he’d demonstrated exactly what he was going to do. An hour later he’d asked her “May I stay then?”

She’d kissed him and replied, “Mercy, that was enjoyable wasn’t it. Don’t you dare try to escape.”

None who saw them fall asleep in each other’s arms would have believed them if they had professed not to be in love. Lunelight awoke soon after he, stretched languorously and said she wished him for braekfast.(6) The idea seemed to be a good one, and it was over seven when they arose.

They maekt(7) braekfast together. Over braekfast, Lunelight asked him what his reaction would be if she became pregnant. She explained, “I am not over my lunetimes,(8) and I’m as regular as Lune herself. Something to do with my name may hap,” she joked. “Just because I never became pregnant with Drum doesn’t mean I won’t with you.”

A slow smile lit up Douglas’ face. “I should like that a lot. I’ll hope for it,” he said.

“Good. I always wisht(9) for children. I’ll go and see Iris at the healers to ask if there is aught I can do to improve my chances.” They decided to go and see the healers together after lunch.

It was a happy couple that went to the Master at arms to arrange bigger chambers and to meet Lunelight’s kin after braekfast

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004060

CAN I WATCH MUM FEED HAW?

2ND QDAY FORENOON YVETTE (32) AND WHITEBEAR (32), THRIFT (10) & HAW (4l)

1st of Chent Day 4

When Yvette and Whitebear awoke, they decided it was necessary, prior to braekfast, to take steps to avoid loenth. Over braekfast, which they had both cooked, Whitebear asked, “Do you still wish to go to the healers to adopt?”

“Yes,” Yvette replied, “if you still like the idea.”

“Yes, I do. I suggest we go to Owl’s for you to meet Harebell and Goosander. We can tell them what we are doing, then go on to the Healers and collect the children on the way back. We spend thisday(10) settling in, and we’ll go to my workshop nextday.”(11)

“That seems a good idea. Have you had any thoughts of the children to adopt, Whitebear?”

“No, not really. You suggestet(12) two, and that seems a good idea to me, but I’ve had no thinkings of their age or sex. I’m happy to accept what ever you wish, or if you have no preferences what ever the healers suggest.”

“Let’s do that then because I’ve no ideas either.”

They finished braekfast and washed, dried and put the plates and things away. Yvette thought, from the dust in the cupboards, you could tell this was the dwelling of a man. Still, she thought, not for long.

When they left to go to Owl’s, like a lot of the incomers, she had trouble with the idea of just closing the door. That the entire population uest no locks for security seemed almost indecent. Though she accepted seeing it that way was almost perverse. She had been telt, more than once, locks were only uest(13) for safety, mostly to ensure children were kept safely away from dangerous tools and equipment, but also in winter to prevent Folk using doors to the Keep courtyard that were not safe to use. The reverse side of the coin was, of course, since thiefing(14) was a capital offence, other than by recently arrived incomers, there had been no incidence of such for as far back as the archives recorded.

They arrived at Owl’s, who on seeing her brother holding hands with Yvette, hugged and kissed her, and said, “Well come, Sister. I am so pleast(15) for you both. But if you have come for the children they’re not here.” Turning to Whitebear, she explained, “Yours, mine and a whole kith of friends have goen(16) to spend an hour together, with some of the children’s parents, learning arithmetic. After that they were going to the Greathall for dancing practice, and I believe someone is supervising painting for the younger ones this tenner. They intendet(17) to eat lunch together in the Refectory. There are near twenty in the group, and they organiest(18) it themselfs(19) lasteve.(20) After lunch they are going to go to the Gather, and I suspect intend to spend several hours watching the competitions whilst making themselfs sick with sweetings(21) and confectionery.”

Yvette was disappointed, and she couldn’t help but shew it. Whitebear seeing that, telt her, “It’s a riandet.(22) We’ll go to the Greathall first, so you can meet the children. We’ll tell them what we are going to do and go to the healers afterwards. There’s no need to spoil their day. We may just add to it. Depending on what happens at the healers, we may, or may not, go to the Refectory to eat with them.”

Owl looked puzzled, and Yvette explained, “We wish to adopt two children.”

“I hope you are successful,” said Owl. She kissed Yvette and her brother as they left, and said, “Return after you have been to the healers. I’ll be in all day.”

On their way to the Greathall, Yvette telt Whitebear, “I like your sister.”

“Yes. She has been a great help with the children this last year.”

They walked to the Greathall holding hands in silence. Both thinking of how life had been and was possibly going to be. When they arrived, Yvette heard shouts of, “Dad,” and, “Uncle,” before being surrounded by at least three dozen children.

Whitebear effortlessly sorted his and Owl’s children from the rest and calmed them down. He telt them he and Yvette had agreement, and his now had a mum and Owl’s had a new Auntie. Harebell and Goosander were glad they now had now a mum and held hands with Yvette. Yvette, though she had been telt by several Folk how these things worked on Castle, was surprised at the readith(23) with which Whitebear’s children accepted her and started calling her Mum forthwith. She had thought there must be some awkwardth,(24) at least to start with. Owl’s children introduced themselfs in the way of the Folk.

The eldest girl started, “I am Yrsa and I am nine, Auntie Yvette.”

Her brother was next, “I am Redpoll, I am six, Auntie Yvette.”

Finally, “I am Revæl and I’m four, Auntie Vet.”

“It’s Yvette not Vet, Revæl,” Yrsa telt her little sister kindly. “Try it again.”

Revæl said, “My sorrow, Auntie Yvette, was that right?”

Yvette, who thought all of the children had beautiful manners, said, “That was perfect, Revæl. Thank you for trying again.”

Whitebear telt the children, “We are going to the healers to see if we can adopt two children. We don’t know who needs a home, so we don’t know if we shall be eating lunch with you or no. We hope so, and we hope to be able to go to see Auntie Owl later. So you enjoy your day at the Gather, and if we don’t see you before the eve meal you know why.”

“Who’s going to be painting?” asked Yvette.

“I am,” and, “I am,” came from Goosander and Revæl.

“I hope you’re going to give me a painting to put on the wall at home?” Yvette asked. Both solemnly promised they would, and the children somewhat reluctantly went back to their activities.

Yvette and Whitebear left the Greathall, and Yvette telt Whitebear, “They have lovely manners.”

“Bethink you so?” he said, “I don’t consider they’re any different from other children.”

“Theirs are much better than the children’s where I come from,” Yvette telt him. They chatted of the differences between their respective cultures. Yvette concluded, even though Castle could be a harsher place than where she had lived before, the Folk were kinder to each other than the residents of any community she had ever come across.

They arrived at the healers where they met Mistress Cwm.(25) Whitebear, who knew Cwm, remarked, “I didn’t expect to see you here, Cwm.”

“We are crafting a bit hard at the moment,” Cwm explained, “and I’m helping by doing a duty here, so some of my craft can catch some much needet(26) sleep. How can I help you Whitebear and…?”

“This is my wife, Yvette,” Whitebear said. In explanation to Yvette he said, “Cwm is a specialist healer. She does a lot of cutting and also, stitching after accidents.”

Cwm, who was read in the archives, said, “Congratulations, Yvette, on your marriage. What Whitebear was trying to tell you is, in your words, I am a chirurgeon,(27) you also use the word surgeon. But how can I help you?”

Whitebear indicated to Yvette to explain. “We wish to adopt two children. We’ve no idea of what ages or whether boys or girls. We should like to have more family. We’ve a son of four and a daughter of eight. I should like to have children myself, but I’m not sure if I can, so we thought we should ask for advice.”

Cwm asked, “Why bethink yourself you may not be able to conceive? Surely you are too young for your lunetimes to be over?”

It taekt Yvette a few seconds to decipher the last, but she eventually replied, “It’s not that. I miscarried a little boy at six months a month ago, and I am not sure what effect that will have had on me.” She saw the puzzled look on Cwm’s face and added, “A month is a lune.”

Cwm thought for a moment, and puzzled by Yvette’s matter-of-factth,(28) and what to her sounded like an over-rapid recovery from so recent a miscarriage, asked, “I take it the loss of your child was traumatic to you? And you are now over the shock?” Yvette explained how Julian leaving her had been worse than the miscarriage, what the doctors had said of depression, how she had decided to recover with time and not with the drugs which she knew could be habit forming. She had really thought she was over the experience, but spaeking(29) of it maekt her cry. Whitebear sat close to her with his arm berount her not sure what else he could do to comfort her. She hadn’t telt him this before, and he was shocked a man could leave a pregnant wife. It was beyond aught he had ever heard of, and it did great violence to the spirit, if not to the substance, of the Way.

Cwm went to the door, and asked a junior to bring a pot of leaf and three mugs. She came back smiling and said, “My gran was a healer too, and she was a great believer in a good cry and a mug of leaf. Please listen carefully, and let me finish before you say aught. Your shock due your man leaving you was so great you haven’t even startet(30) griefing(31) for your babe. You have been strong, but I don’t believe there has ever been a woman worth calling a mother who could be strong enough to lose a babe without grief, and you are not that woman. The grief will come and go, not lessening, but becoming more bearable with time. You have startet your healing with Whitebear and his children.

My advice is to take a babe to your breast. It won’t take away the pain of your loss, but it will make it more bearable, and also prevent you from thinking of your loss as oft. We’ve herbs that can bring your milk in. They can take awhile to work, but with a recent mother, and despite the unhappy outcome of your recent pregnancy, you are a recent mother, they will probably work within a few days. Till your milk comes in, there are nursing mothers who will call on you several times a day to feed your babe. If you accept my suggestion, when they arrive, I suggest you try to nurse the babe for a few minutes. The suckling, albeit initially unproductive, would help to bring your milk in more quickly, and the babe could be fedd(32) when it becomes desperate. We’ve a four lune old little boy we have naemt(33) Haw, who is uest(34) to being nurst(35) by several different women, and he needs a mum as much as you need a babe.”

Yvette had listened carefully, and the pain of losing her son was finally braeking(36) through with Cwm’s words. Almost silent in her misery, she nestled into Whitebear, crying and shaking. He had his arms berount her and held her, still not knowing what else he could do. Cwm waited sure, in two or five or thirty minutes, Yvette would return to face life. Yvette was a strong woman, and Cwm had time, all day if necessary. Folk were precious, and there were two, three if she had her way, to be helped here. In less than five minutes, Yvette turned her face out of Whitebear’s chest, and taking a handkerchief from her pocket wiped her eyes, blew her nose and said, “I’m sorry. Please explain to me again about nursing a baby. I don’t think I took in what you said.”

“I’m not surpriest.”(37) Cwm reiterated and expanded on what she had said before, and explained why she had said it.

Yvette looked at Whitebear, and asked him, “What do you think?”

Whitebear was caring, but blunt in his reply. “If you need to nurse a babe you should do it. I only wish the best for you. It is true some of the most moving experiences of my life were when I watcht(38) Crest nursing our children. She telt me the experience of nursing a babe was something no woman could describe, not even to another woman. It is equally true I couldn’t describe the experience of watching my woman nurse our babes, not even to another man. I should love to watch you nursing a babe. I can only describe it as a privilege and moving beyond words. But that would be a secondary thing. I will you to take Cwm’s advice, it was after all what we agreen(39) to do, but how do you feel concerning nursing a babe?”

Yvette taekt a little time to compose herself. Whitebear’s response had worked powerfully on her emotions, and she finally replied in a very quiet and emotion laden voice. “I wanted my son desperately, and I was so jealous watching my sister nurse her little girl. I want to nurse one so badly it hurts, but I didn’t know how you would feel about it.”

Whitebear kissed her and said, “I take it that’s settelt(40) then?”

“Yes,” was Yvette’s reply turning to Cwm.

Cwm looked at them with a somewhat speculative expression in her eyes, and said, “Before I ask a junior to fetch the herb extract and to ask Molly to bring Haw for you to nurse before she feeds him there is another matter I should like to raise with you both. You sayt(41) you wisht two children. We’ve a girl here who is now Thrift. She’s eight of our years, has a lot of deep bruising and has been uest viciously for sexual purposes. It is difficult to say if she’s pretty or no, for she has a lot of bruising on her face and a crackt(42) cheek bone. She also has several crackt ribs and braeken(43) bones in her hands and feet that couldn’t possibly be accidental.

“She’s small for her age, probably as a result of being malnourisht,(44) and remembers little of her life before Castle, not even her name, yet despite all, she has a sense of humour. Iris wishes her placet(45) in a family as soon as possible, and I believe you to be an ideal couple who with a babe would provide a good family to allow her to blossom in. I am not trying to negotiate, for I am sure she shall be capable of appalling behaviour when she becomes upset. I am asking you if you could take her, knowing what I have telt you. If you feel it would be too much say so, and we shall consider other children.”

Whitebear was stunned such a set of circumstances could occur. Yvette wasn’t, and putting her hand on his arm she asked, “Could we adopt her, Whitebear? Please? I know my life is going to be much better, and I should like to make hers better too.”

Whitebear, still upset by the iniquity of Thrift’s life, said, “Of course we adopt her.”

“Gratitude. I’ll send a junior to bring the herbs and Molly with Haw.”

“No. Not yet please, Cwm,” Yvette said thoughtfully. “I want to talk to Thrift first and explain what is going on. I want her with me when I try to nurse Haw and when Molly feeds him. I want her to see some good things in life and how life can become better.”

Cwm smiled and said, “I consider that to be an excellent idea, Yvette.”

She went to the door and asked a junior to bring Thrift. When Thrift entered, she was seen to be a tiny, thin, little waif covered in multi coloured bruises who looked barely six, she naytheless had a lovely smile, and both Whitebear’s and Yvette’s hearts went out to her. Yvette went to her, and held her arms out saying, “We want you to be your mum and dad, Thrift. Please let me explain about us, and then say yes.” Thrift taekt a double look at Whitebear, who was smiling, and then at Yvette again, who still had her arms out, and went cautiously to Yvette who hugged her gently.

Whitebear asked, “May I have a hug too? I wish a daughter just as much you know.”

Strangely a little more trusting with Whitebear than with Yvette, but still cautious, Thrift went to Whitebear who hugged her and kissed her forehead saying, “Shall I tell you of your brothers and sister?”

This was something Thrift hadn’t considered, and it eased her reaction to Whitebear considerably. “Yes, please.”

Whitebear explained, “Your mum and I have only just reacht(46) agreement. My first wife and two of our children dien(47) from the fevers last year. We have a daughter Harebell who is eight and, a son Goosander who is four. I have been dreadfully lonely for a long time, but its better now. I’ll let your mum tell you the rest.”

Thrift looked at Yvette who continued, “I’m newfolk like you. My husband left me when I became pregnant. My baby died when I was still pregnant. Then somehow I ended up here. I met your father, we married and we’re going to adopt Haw. He’s a little boy who still needs breast feeding. Do you understand about breast feeding, Thrift?”

“Yes. Babies need milk which comes from breasts. It’s what they’re for.” She flusht(48) a little and said, “I haven’t any yet, but I know I shall when I’m older.”

“I don’t have any milk yet, and we haven’t met Haw yet,” Yvette continued, “but we’d like you to be here when we do, so you are part of it and realise we want you to be an important part of our family. You’re not a woman yet, but you will be one day, and we both want you to enjoy growing up with us. Would you like that?”

In her entire life, nobody had ever asked Thrift what she would like. Her brain had blanked out the memory of most of her unpleasant experiences, which was most of her life, in order to protect her fragile sanity. She had started to live a different life on Castle where she’d been given enough to eat, and it had all been decent food served on a clean plate, not scraps, crusts and left overs scraped into a dirty dog bowl, and she’d been given choices as to what she wished to eat. None had hurt her, or even shouted at her, and all had been kind, but this level of consideration maekt her cry. “Yes, I’d like that,” she stammered through her tears.

Whitebear reached for her and said, “You’ll have to make do with a hug from me if your mum is going to nurse Haw.”

Thrift hugged him and said, “I’d like that, but may I watch Mum feed Haw?”

“Of course,” replied Yvette, “that’s why you’re here.”

Cwm sent the junior for the herb extract and to ask Molly to bring Haw. Molly arrived first with Haw, she was a small woman, very pregnant and had a bosom that could only be described as of massive proportions. On entering she asked Yvette, “Have you ever nurst a babe before, Dear?”

“No,” replied Yvette, “I lost my first and only at six lunes pregnant.”

“My sorrow, my dear, I didn’t know and didn’t mean to be insensitive,” apologised Molly.

“I’m not offended, but I do want to be able to nurse Haw. May I hold him?” asked Yvette.

“Of course, he’s your son not mine,” said Molly, passing him over. “Again, I don’t wish to offensive. I understand incomers can be sensitive toward matters we make little of, but are your nipples normally presentet,(49) Dear?”

“What do you mean?” Yvette asked.

“Most invertet(50) nipples are a problem we can now deal with as a result of learning from the midwifes(51) who arrivt(52) in your incursion, but we have no idea how common the problem is mongst(53) incomers, it is very rare indeed mongst the Folk. I’m asking if you have invertet nipples,” responded Molly smiling.

“No, mine are normal and stick out,” replied Yvette, also smiling and including Thrift who was avidly following the conversation.

“Have one out then, and let’s see what the little boy makes of it,” said Molly.

Yvette smiled, and said to Thrift, “Come a little closer, Thrift, and make sure you can see properly.”

Cwm nodded her encouragement to Thrift too, and said, “It’s best for all to learn early as girls rather than late as women.” Just then Orkæke,(54) a noticeably pregnant apprentice herbal came in and handed a small bottle to Cwm, she smiled at Haw and said, “It was prepaert(55) lastday,(56) Cwm, and is good for five days.” Cwm expressed gratitude to her and Orkæke said, “You were lucky, that’s nearly the last of that batch. There’s been a lot uest sincely(57) due to the incomer babes, and I’m going back now to assist making the next batch. My sorrow I’m being bad mannert,(58) but I’m in a hurry as I don’t wish to miss any of the process.” She left the chamber almost at a run.

Yvette had to take her blouse off to remove her brassière. Cwm gave her the shawl she was wearing to keep one side warm, and Yvette presented Haw to her right breast. He latched on straight away, and started suckling vigorously. “There’s no milk for him at the moment,” explained Yvette to Thrift, but I shall be taking herbs to bring my milk in, and his suckling will help.”

After a couple of minutes Haw stopped suckling and started to cry. “Pass him over,” said Molly as she exposed a huge milk engorged breast with a nipple that looked far too large to fit in a babe’s mouth. “Take a good look, Dear, before your brother takes over.” Thrift watched intently, clearly fascinated. Whilst Yvette redresst,(59) Molly rested Haw across her next babe and said, “next time you dry nurse him use the other breast and thereafter alternate.” Haw who was now suckling as if he hadn’t nursed for a tenner was calming down a bit from his previous frustration, and after a while Molly removed him from her breast saying to Thrift, “look at the difference in my breasts now, Dear, that’s what he’s taken.” She put the protesting Haw back to her other breast, and he settled back to nursing.

Thrift looked at the four adults and said, “That is amazing. I can’t wait to grow up and have a baby.”

Yvette held her hand out to Thrift and said, “We love you, Thrift, and we understand a little of your past. We did this to shew you that’s over, and to give you some idea of your future. You will grow up faster than most because of your past, but we really should like you to enjoy what is left of your childhood. When Molly has fed your brother, we shall go to the Refectory for lunch with your siblings and cousins, and then go home for you to settle in. We’re going to see your Auntie this afternoon who will love you as we do, and then we can spend the rest of the day at the Gather doing what ever we want. I shall have to be at home a lot till my milk comes in, so Haw can be fed, but you don’t have to be.”

“I’d rather watch Haw be nursed. I think it’s lovely, and I can’t wait till you’re nursing him, Mum.”

Whitebear answered her, “I know what you mean, but when Molly has finisht(60) let’s go to meet the others.”

Cwm handed the bottle of extract to Yvette and said, “The dosage is not critical, but a pudding spoonful is near right. You need to take it twice a day, and it is important the two doses are taken twelve hours apart, and you take it at the same time every day, but you can decide what time you wish to take it at. There is enough for five days in the bottle, return for some more if you need to. There’s no point in me giving you more now because it loses its potency after five or six days. The herbs keep a long time, but the extract needs to be freshly prepaert. I suggest you have some fruit juice to hand to wash away the taste, it’s somewhat bitter, or you can take it in the juice. Haw was nearly asleep by this time, and Molly said, “If you’re back at home in three hours I’ll meet you there.”

They agreed, and Molly went towards the door saying she needed to find a babe who needed feeding. They all expressed gratitude to Molly as she was leaving and Cwm too when the four of them left to meet Thrift’s siblings and cousins.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004070

BEATEN FOR HAVING SPAECH WITH BOYS?

EARLY FORENOON TO LUNCH JUDITH AND STORM

1st of Chent Day 4

That forenoon up to and including braekfast was a fairly disorganised affair, none having settled into a routine. By the time all had been washed, dresst and fed the forenoon was moderately advanced. Again Iola had been a major force in organising the others, including managing Matthew and his porridge. Alwydd had explained all the squad had Quarterday off, but he was going to the kennels to help George.

They arrived at the Greathall where all sorts of things were going on, but most of the scores of children there were learning the new Quarterday dance, under the guidance of several adults including some of their parents. On seeing the four new arrivals, various groups of dancers dragged them off to join them, and within a minute all four had joined in and looked set for the forenoon. Iola came back to Judith and said, “They’ll be good and enjoy themselves, Mum. You go with Dad to the meeting and meet us in the Refectory for lunch. I hope the meeting is successful.”

She kissed Judith and then Storm, and turned back to the others to join the group Rock was in. Judith and Storm left with Matthew and arrived at the Master at arms offices a few minutes later. They were escorted, by a young man who telt them he was Bram, into a small chamber with a good fire going where a tall, white haired, elderly woman was sitting in a high backed easy chair. She was introduced as Matilda. They were chatting of naught in particular, with Matthew clambering over a stool, when a tall, thin, balding man, who didn’t walk too well, arrived. He was introduced as Evan. Bram explained to both Matilda and Evan the meeting had been called at the request of Judith and Storm, and he wasn’t cognisant as to the details of why, so he would leave it to Judith and Storm to explain what they had in mind.

Storm indicated to Judith to proceed. “I am an incomer and came here after two poor relationships, both of which failt.(61) Neither failure was primarily my fault, and I had given up on men. My craft is repairing watermills which here I am respected for whereas before it earnt me nothing but derision. I never considered having children before. The world I knew was, in my opinion, no fit place to rear them. Here everything is different and different rules apply.” She paused to look at Matilda and Evan who were interested but puzzled. She continued, “Now I have a husband,” she put her hand on Storm’s arm, “and we’ve adopted six children, not just Matthew. We are trying for more, and if we have another six we shall be delighted.” Matilda and Evan were still interested, but they were even more puzzled as to why she was telling them this.

“Storm has no parents, and we should like grandparents for our children who would like that too. We were told you preferred to wait till after Quarterday to see what turned up rather than become grandparents straight away. Well, we’ve turned up. “We want parents, grandparents for our children. Our family comprises orphans and two lonely adults who are no longer orphans nor lonely. We are a proper family. We didn’t like being lonely, so why should you? As I said before, the rules are different here, more straight-forward, more honest. Folk kept telling me to think the Folk way because it would make my life easier. It was difficult at first to accept, but it is true. We should want you as two single grandparents, but we believe as with us, your lives would be better, less lonely, as a couple. So it occurred to me to put the suggestion to you as straight-forwardly and simply as that, since it may not otherwise have occurred to you. That’s all this meeting is for, putting that forward as an option, but we should love to welcome you on any terms. We shall go now, and you can do what you like with our suggestion.”

Matilda didn’t seem surprised by the suggestion and said, “I know other older people have married since their arrival here.”

Evan on the other hand was very surprised, and said, “I am sixty-eight, and I never considered marriage as an option. Who would want me?”

Matilda replied, “I’m sixty-five, and what Judith said about being lonely struck home. Perhaps we should discuss our options and talk to them later. Do you not think their ideas worth exploring, Evan?”

Evan, unnerved by what could be construed as a proposal of marriage muttered, “We could talk about it, yes.”

Judith and Storm stood. Storm shook hands with Evan, and was surprised to be embraced by Matilda. Judith hugged both Matilda and Evan saying, “What ever the results of your discussions, we should love to welcome you to our family. We hope to hear from you soon.” Judith reclaimed Matthew from the chair where he had fallen asleep, and she and Storm left the Master at arms offices discussing the meeting. Storm didn’t know what to make of it, but Judith was optimistic saying, “Matilda, I think, is in favour of the idea, and I suspect also of joining us. I hope she can persuade Evan to her way of thinking. I think he’s a good man, but he’s embarrassed by the idea.”

They decided they had plenty of time to look in at Storm’s workshop before going to the Refectory, and spent almost an hour there. Matthew enjoyed himself playing with some of the smaller blocks of wooden off cuts that Storm obtained from the woodworkers to fuel his workshop stove. Storm explained the principles of dressing stones, and he concluded with, “The theory is naught really, and I still always use a rule and a piece of marking stone before dressing. You have to when making new stones. You can’t make mistakes that way. The worst that can happen is the stone needs redressing a bit sooner. The skill is in using the tools to achieve the result you wish, and that’s just down to practice. Some apprentices are maekt to practice on old stones too wearn(62) to use. My Master insistet(63) I learnt on working stones. He telt me if I maekt a mess of it, I should be the one who had to dress the stone early for free. Believe me it’s an effective teaching technique.”

They both laught at that, and after promising Matthew Dad would provide a box to put his blocks in, and bring them home for him, went to the Refectory. They joined the four children who were just starting to eat and asked them of their forenoon, and if they had seen Alwydd. All were enthusiastic dancers now, but Alwydd had not been seen. “He’s probably eating with the squad in the commons. A lot of the huntsmen eat there, and thisday there’ll be a celebration meal provided. As apprentice huntsmen they’ll be automatically invited,” Storm explained. After seating Matthew in a highchair next to herself, Iola went for a bib for him since he was only prepared to try cutlery till his hunger overcame him. The roast cockerel wing and cooked whole redroots(64) she provided him with satisfied his hunger sufficiently to overcome his reluctance to use cutlery for him to use a spoon for his peach pudding.

Judith and Storm had planned to take the children out to the Gather, but the children all wished to stay in the Greathall, since it appeared there was to be more dancing practice. “Painting too! Mum,” said Stephanie, as if that should clinch the matter.

Storm looked at Judith and realising they were both thinking the same thing, said, “I’ll stay with them this afternoon, Iola. I don’t wish you to believe we only willen(65) you for looking after the others.”

Iola, her face flusht, said, “No, I don’t think that, it’s just…,” she braekt(66) off unsure what to say next.

“What’s his name, Dear?” asked Judith, understanding the reason for the flush immediately.

“Heron,” said Iola, in a frightened whisper.

“If he’s the only young Heron I know, he’s a sensible young man, I know his parents. Bay his dad is a stone dresser like me and his mum makes cheese,” said Storm. “Wills to be a cook doesn’t he?”

“A baker,” replied Iola, her colour slowly coming down at Storm’s reasonable reaction.

“If you wish to stay with the rest of them all afternoon, so you can become better acquaintt(67) with Heron that’s up to you, Love,” Storm continued, “but you must never presume your first priority is looking after the others. You are their sister, not their mother.”

“Yes, Dad,” said Iola. “My other dad, my Mum’s second husband, my step-dad, would have beaten me for talking to a boy.”

“That’s not going to happen here, Dear,” said Judith with a laugh. “After all, if you don’t talk to them, by the time you want to be married, all the best ones will be taken.”

Iola kissed both Judith and Storm and said, “I am glad to be with you. Thank you.”

Judith was nowhere near as shocked by Iola’s revelation as Storm, and after they had taken the children back to the Greathall, and promised to stay awhile to watch Stephanie painting, Storm said in disgust, “Thrashing a girl for having spaech(68) with a boy‽ What kind of a place is it whence you come?”

“An unkind one sometimes, Love. But never mind, it won’t happen here.” They examined Stephanie’s painting, and said all the appropriate things, before going on an expedition to acquire more furniture and other domestic items they required now there were eight of them.

Word Usage Key

1 Beround, around.
2 Taekt, took.
3 Telt, told
4 Loenth, lonliness.
5 Doet, did, pronounced dote.
6 Braekfast, breakfast.
7 Maekt, made.
8 Lunetimes, menstruation.
9 Wisht, wished, wanted.
10 Thisday, today.
11 Nextday, tomorrow.
12 Suggestet, suggested.
13 Uest, used.
14 Thiefing, thieving or stealing.
15 Pleast, pleased.
16 Goen, gone.
17 Intendet, intended.
18 Organiest, organised.
19 Themselfs, themselves.
20 Lasteve, yesterday evening.
21 Sweetings, honey or pounded dried fruit flavoured mixture of oats, flour, butter, nuts, seeds pressed into flat trays, baked and cut up into slices. Every maker’s receipt is different and changes with availability of ingredients.
22 Riandet, a matter of no consequence.
23 Readith, readiness.
24 Awkwardth, awkwardness.
25 Cwm, pronounced Koom, (ku:m).
26 Needet, needed.
27 Chirurgeon, surgeon.
28 Matter-of-factth, matter-of-factness.
29 Spaeking, speaking.
30 Startet, started.
31 Griefing, grieving.
32 Fedd, fed.
33 Naemt, named.
34 Uest, used.
35 Nurst, nursed.
36 Braeking, breaking.
37 Supriest, surprised.
38 Watcht, watched.
39 Agreen, agreed.
40 Settelt, settled.
41 Sayt, said.
42 Crackt, cracked.
43 Braeken, broken.
44 Malnourisht, malnourished.
45 Placet, placed.
46 Reacht, reached.
47 Dien, died.
48 Flusht, flushed.
49 Presentet, presented.
50 Invertet, inverted.
51 Midwifes, midwives.
52 Arrivt, arrived.
53 Mongst, amongst.
54 Orkæke, pronounced oar + cake + kuh (as in cup), (ɔrkeikər).
55 Prepaert, prepared.
56 Lastday, yesterday.
57 Sincely, recently.
58 Mannert, mannered.
59 Redresst, redressed.
60 Finisht, finished.
61 Failt, failed.
62 Wearn, worn.
63 Insistet, insisted.
64 Redroots, carrots.
65 Willen, willed, wished, wanted.
66 Braekt,
67 Aquaintet,
68 Spaech,

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke

up
20 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos