Castle The Series - 0064 Heather & Family, Lilac & Agreäns, Ivy & David

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004230

DO WEAVERS HAVE TO BE GIRLS?

2ND QDAY HEATHER (30) JON (30) ANISE (14) HOLLY (9) GIFT (4) DIRK (7)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

1st of Chent Day 4

Next on the platform were a fair complexioned, dark haired man of medium highth and wiry build and a woman, who was almost as tall as he, with dark blonde hair held up by an ornate, silver comb. She was of a decidedly feminine build, and had what could only be described as a pronounced bounce and sway as she walked. The man announced, “I am Jon, a horse trainer.”

The woman continued, “And I am Heather, a weaver.” She turned to Jon as if expecting him to continue, but he smiled and motioned her to continue. “We’ve never been lucky enough to have children, and we wish a family. Jon has three apprentices, but I have none. We’ve a dwelling large enough for the children we never had. I have two looms, and my brother is making me a third which will be double the usual wiedth.(1) My two sisters are Mistress spinsters, and though we operate as a clan coöperative none mongst(2) my kin has children of an age to apprentice. I can offer up to four apprentice placements, but we shall take as many children as wish a home with parents.”

A straight-forward appearance thought Gareth, as he recited, “You have hearet(3) the words of Mistress weaver Heather and Master horse trainer Jon. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

Two girls came on to the platform from different directions. The first was invited by Gareth spaek.(4) She was a pretty looking girl, near five feet tall, right on the edge of womanhood and a good way into the process of filling out. She had dark hair in a single plait that reached her waist. “I am Anise, daughter to Marigold and James, both of who perisht(5) of the fevers last year. I live with my uncle Silas the cooper. He has just marryt(6) Shelagh. I love my uncle and his new wife, but I don’t wish to be a cooper.” The crowd laught sympathetically. Coopering was a good craft, but it required a strongth(7) this young woman would never have. “I am fourteen. I need to apprentice, and I should like a mother,” she smiled shyly at Jon, “and to have a father would be good, too.”

Heather smiled at the young woman, at fourteen she couldn’t be called a girl any longer, and said, “Come and stand with us, Daughter Anise apprentice weaver.”

Gareth invited the second girl to take her turn. She walked to the front of the platform, and she was seen to be a younger version of Anise. Like Anise, she was a pretty girl with dark hair in a single plait to her waist, she was may hap a span and a half shorter than Anise, but she was still a girl with no beginnings on the woman she would become. “I am Holly, daughter to Vale and Drake. My parents also dien(8) of the fevers last year. I am granddaughter to Emma the brush maker and Will the huntsman, and I live with my grandparents. I have but nine years, yet I know I could never be a tracker nor a hunter. I don’t have to apprentice yet, but I should like to. I have had spaech(9) of this with my grandparents, who will be saddent(10) if I live else where, but my granddam(11) says, if I can, I should have parents, and they will always be my grandparents. I should like parents, and I should like to learn to be a weaver.”

Heather beckoned Holly over to stand with them too. The crowd was not surprised by either of these two placements. Indeed the Folk had expected something of this sort to happen last Quarterday, and Will was known to have said a few times he was helping Holly to find an apprenticeship with parents.

Unseen by any, a third girl had maekt(12) her way on to the platform. She was tiny. She looked to be three years old, and as if she could stand several lunes of good feeding. She wasn’t thin so much as emaciated. She had hollow sunken cheeks and looked as if she were covered in filth. The crowd realised she must be one of the little ones from the infirmary, where she would have been bathed as well as fed, and she was covered in bruises not filth. They also assumed her short blonde hair was newly shorn to control lice, which they had heard a number of the incomer children had. Gareth motioned to his assistants to collect her. Evading Gareth and his assistants, who had all started to converge on her, she went right to the front of the platform and Gareth’s assistants instantly stopped as she began, for all irrespective of age had the right to be heard, “Me Girl. Girl four. No mum. No dad. Girl steal food. Want mum. Want dad. Not know we thing. End.”

The child sat down right on the edge of the platform, her black, perse(13) and yellow legs dangling over the side. Jon, Heather, Anise and Holy had all gone to the child. Heather was on her knees stroking the child’s head with its bare wiedth(14) of hair, which the crowd could now see to be yellow from the dye in the insecticide(15) the healers uest.(16) She picked the child up and hugged the little girl to her breast protectively. Heather was continuously whispering in her ear, and it was clear she had no intention of letting Gareth’s assistants, or any other, take the little girl from her.

The couple and their girls walked back to the side of the platform. Heather turned to face the crowd, and announced through her tears, “My girl babe is Gift because she is.”

What had this girl child been saying? puzzled Gareth. His normally fluent, coherent and ordered thoughts occurred as fleeting, rapid and disorganised fragments. “That she was a girl? That Girl was the only name she had? A four year old with no parents? Stealing food? Was that how she was bruist(17) so badly? By being catcht?(18) A babe who wisht(19) parents? What was the small thing she didn’t know? What had she been through? Then it all came to him like a blow to the head. It wasn’t a wee thing she didn’t understand. It was weaving. She had followt(20) the protocol perfectly, name, age, family, circumstances, desires. She had even telt(21) them she didn’t understand some of what Heather was asking for. Then she telt them she had finisht.(22)

A highly intelligent babe. Was that how she had survivt?(23) On her wits?” Like the crowd, he was too stunned to be outraged. This was barely even a girl, a weän,(24) little more than a babe. Those bruises, what kind of a person would do that? Not a human being, not Folk, but a beast, a dangerous beast, the concern of the huntsman. He realised it couldn’t have happened on Castle. The child had been taken from the incursion site to the Keep before the incomers had regained consciousth,(25) and there had been no time for the abuse to have happened, and many of those bruises were old bruises.

Felicity, one of the healers came over and whispered to him, “Those are the first words she has spaken(26) since her arrival. We weren’t even sure she could spaek. We noticet(27) she was missing an hour since, and I’ve been seeking her since we discovert(28) she’d goen.(29) I’d given up and put Basil’s staff and the guardians to seeking her. Mercy knows how she reacht(30) here from the Keep, never mind reacht here without being apprehendet.”(31)

Gareth said to her with a wry smile on his face, “It looks as if that intelligent scrap of humanity, despite her age and the appalling abuse, has just findt(32) her own placement.”

As if this were not drama enough, a boy of seven or so, an incomer with short blond hair and a worried expression on his face, had reached Jon and Heather. They all went back to the front of the platform where the boy asked, “Do you have to be a girl to be a weaver?”

Gareth said, “Slow down, Son, there’s no rush, who are you?”

The boy flusht,(33) realising he had braeken(34) with the protocol, “My name is Dirk, I’m nearly eight. I’m here alone. I want a mum and dad. I don’t know where mine are, and I know I’ll never see them again.” He tried again, “Do you have to be a girl to be a weaver?”

Jon not Gareth replied this time. “No, you don’t have to be a girl to be a weaver, but at nearly eight you’ve lots of time to apprentice.” Seeing the expression of incomprehension on Dirk’s face, he said, “You don’t have to be a girl, or a weaver, to come home with us, Son.”

Dirk persisted, “Does that mean you’re my dad now and…?” he was clearly having trouble understanding it all.

Holly and Anise each taekt hold of one of his hands, and Holly telt him, “You now have a new dad,” looking at Jon, “a new mum,” looking at Heather, who was still hugging Gift closely, “and three new sisters, me, I’m Holly, Anise and Gift. And we all have a new brother.”

The drama that had been played out on the Quarterday platform had drained Gareth, his staff and the crowd almost as much as the six most closely involved. However, Gareth shrewdly thought previous incursions must have surely had similarly dramatic events. But it would indeed be hard to describe the emotions involved in words for the archives. Suddenly re-aware of his responsibilities, he looked at Jon and Heather. Heather, still wrapped in the needs of Gift, barely perceived his look, but Jon came to front of the platform and addresst(35) the crowd, “This is all going to take some becoming uest to, but we give gratitude to the Folk for listening.”

All present thought that a gross understatement, but however traumatic Gift’s history, they wouldn’t have missed her dramatic response to the appearance for aught. The creation of this family and the healing it would bring, along with the growth as human beings it would allow its members, reaffirmed their belief in the Way. Still, the events would be discussed over many a glass in eves to come, and Gift’s progress would be watched over and aided by all. The new family left the platform and Jon herded them in the direction of a confectionery stall where they started their afternoon at the Gather. Dirk and Gift had never tasted aught like fluüff(36) before and enjoyed every sticky bite and lick of their second piece as much as their first. Laver, the stall holder, seeing the look of pleasure on their faces and watching Gift’s face as after finally eating the leaf she tried to lick all the stickith(37) off her fingers, for no charge gave the two of them another piece and said to Heather, “I have a water urn and a clout at the back Mistress for when they have finisht.”(38)

For both Anise and Holly having parents was an emotionally comforting feeling of great security, but having Dirk as well as Gift to help look after maekt(39) it even better, and the two of them felt happier than they had done since losing their parents and siblings to the fevers. When Gift became tired Heather and Anise taekt(40) her home and started reorganising the chambers to meet their new requirements. Still at the Gather Jon and Holly explained to Dirk what was going on at the competitions, and he decided he would like to be a competitor one day though he had no idea what he would like to compete at.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004240

I HAVE KILLED

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY LILAC (15)

1st of Chent Day 4

Gareth felt drained, and he telt Willow, “After that I need something to fortify me, take over.”

She was proud he trusted her to step into his shoes and a little nervous, but all she said was, “Surely, Gareth.”

“She’ll do. She’ll do excellently,” thought Gareth, pleased yet again Thomas had chosen the right one out of a large field of candidates for the placement.

A group of three worked their way through the crowd and went to the front of the platform. The two men were good-looking, and of medium highth(41) with the tight bronzed muscularity that comes from doing a physical craft out in the open. They were in their early thirties with close cropped blond hair and the palest of green eyes. The most striking thing was they were identical twins, very identical twins. When they reached the front of the platform they stood either side of the woman, and each held one of her hands. The woman, who also looked to be in her early thirties, was pregnant, but only far enough along for it to be noticeable. She was the same highth as the men, taller than average for a woman, with skin of a golden hue. Her long flaming red hair was worn loose, and she too had green eyes, but hers had an opalescence that flickered in the shine gainst(42) their dark green field. Her high, broad cheek bones gave her a striking rather than a beautiful face, but most were looking at the men till she spake. She had a full, rich, soprano voice that commanded the attention of all who heard it.

“I am Jasmine wife to Beech,” the man on her left nodded in acknowledgement to the crowd, “and also to Ash,” the man on her right nodded in acknowledgement to the crowd too. A marriage of three was a little unusual, but not at all remarkable, and how they arranged their lifes(43) was their concern. There was no prurience in the thinking of the Folk, and many of the crowd either knew them, or knew of them, as respected forestry crafters. Many more knew of them as regular and popular singers in the Greathall during the cold season when they lived at the Keep with the men’s mother processing some of the materials they sent to the Keep throughout the rest of the year for that purpose. “We’ve six children, four daughters and two sons, and as you see betimes another. We are coppicers working and living a long day’s waggon whilth(44) from the Keep. Our work is hard, but not cruelly so, and we’ve a rewarding placement. We live a good life. We supply Castle with faggots, charcoal, besoms, rakes, lobster creels, fish traps, baskets, handles, poles, stails, thatchers’ wants and many other goods the forest supplies. It can be a lonely life, but we are happy. We wish another wife. She must be willing to contribute children to the marriage. We don’t wish to form two couples, we wish for a marriage of four. Ash and Beech are good fathers and agreäns.”(45)

This was hard dealing indeed. This trio was setting out the terms very clearly, and having done so at a Quarterday appearance any agreement reached would be impossible to escape or renegotiate if the trio did not so desire. What this young woman was saying was, if you join us and have children, and later you decide to leave, the children stay with us because they’re the children of the marriage, our children. She paused to draw breath, and the crowd started to buzz with conversation. These marital terms were unusual. She continued, “We should prefer someone with appropriate skills, or at least willing to learn. Beech and Ash are significantly different from each other.” The crowd wondered what was the difference between the men they couldn’t see. Some of the women in the crowd thought it may be interesting to discover.

Jasmine continued, “We oft go several lunes without seeing any other. We sing, Beech sings base and Ash sings baritone.” Jasmine paused to give the women in the crowd time to settle the thoughts she had so carefully not said, but deliberately put into their heads. She added, “I sing soprano, and we are singing at the Gather concert thisnight.”(46) Again she paused, and the crowd sensed what was to come next was going be to the deciding factor for this unusual trio, “We wish a wife who sings contralto. It would be marvellous if we could sing at least one song as a quartet at the concert.”

The traditional words this time were spaken by Willow, and for her first time she said, “You have hearet the words of Mistress and Masters coppicers Jasmine, Beech and Ash. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

Willow thought the requirements of the trio, whilst eminently reasonable, would be probably not be met. Though she was only twenty-two, she had met a large number of Castle’s inhabitants, and she thought the whilth from the Keep, rather than the marital arrangements or the voice, would be the problem. Most of the Folk equated the Keep and its population with security and were not comfortable with the idea of living far away from it. There was considerable delay and buzzing of conversation. Tradition gave a reasonable whilth(47) for respondents to consider an appearance request. Willow was beginning to worry. At what point did she move on to the next appearance? This was her first time representing the Master at arms on Quarterday, and she wished to do it right.

Just as she was thinking she could leave it no longer, Raoul helped a woman, a girl really, onto the platform. Willow didn’t recognise her, but from her clothes she appeared to be an incomer. Like Jasmine, she had a glorious head of long, red hair worn loose but even darker green eyes. She wasn’t quite five feet tall, and had the foalish slenderth(48) of a girl only just beginning puberty. She was flat chested with no hips, and she could have been any where between ten and sixteen. “What do I say and do?” the woman girl asked hesitantly.

Willow replied, “The tradition is you state your name and say what ever you wish concerning the appearance.” Willow looked at the woman girl who’s face indicated her to be far too young for marriage of any kind. “You do understand Jasmine, Beech and Ash wish another wife?”

“Yes, I do.”

“And you wish to be considert?”(49)

“Yes, I do.”

“Then go to the front of the platform and address the crowd as well as Jasmine, Beech and Ash. You need to be hearet so your words are attestet.(50) I’ll be just behind you and I shall give you what ever aid I can.”

She went to the front of the platform and nervously began, “I don’t want to even say the name I came here with. All it gave me was bad, and I want a new one. I’m told on Castle I can do this.”

The crowd was fascinated by this tiny woman who wished to marry the trio. The Folk wished to help her as much as possible to become a citizen of Castle and find a placement, and yelled, “Yes, Yes, Yes.” All had been devastated by the news of the rape at the incomer camp, wished it finally closed down as soon as possible, and all its inhabitants dealt with in one way or another. The best way to do that was to have all, especially children and young women, into secure protective placements as soon as possible.

She began again, “I like your flower names. I should like to be known as Lilac.”

The crowd chanted, “Lilac, Lilac, Lilac.”

Lilac looked much happier and far less nervous than when first she went to the front of the platform. She was thinking of Joe’s words, and they were giving her strongth,(51) “Find a good man, rear kids, be happy and don’t settle for second best.” She believe the trio comprised good folk, they were certainly rearing kids, were obviously happy, and to Lilac certainly no second best. They had six, soon to be seven, children, and she was sure she would be happy with them, and Joe would have understood. He would have fitted in here. All she had to do was persuade them to accept her, and she felt confident now. She had what they were asking for.

She started anew in Castle style. She had listened carefully to the earlier appearances, “I am Lilac, an incomer. I know I don’t look it,” she said self-depreciatingly looking at her chest, “but I am fiveteen.(52) Most of my life before I came here was terrible. I shall be glad to put it behind me. I am happy to be here. I know I have to find a placement.” She choked on what was obviously painful. “I have thisday(53) killt(54) a man to protect myself. I don’t will to have to do it again, but no man is going to take me gainst my will.” The crowd gasped. Most had heard of the incident in the Refectory, and many had seen the bloodstain on the floor, but it was hard to believe this tiny woman had uest a kitchen knife to kill a man who had tried to force himself on her. Was there no end to the iniquity of some of the incomers?

It wasn’t lost on the crowd she understood their ethics regarding a man who tried to rape her, or her spaech had become more nearly that of the Folk. The Folk readily understood most incomers, but there were differences. Some were obvious, but most were subtle. This was a tough young woman, and the Castle Way fully endorsed what she had done. None taekt a woman unless she givn(55) herself first. It was rarely considered, but the Way maekt no arbitrary sexual distinctions, and men were so protected too. She had saved the huntsman’s squads the trouble of dealing with another rapist, and they could tell she was rapidly becoming one of the Folk, if not one already.

“I wish the love and security marriage and a husband’s family would give me here on Castle,” for the first time the Folk saw her smile, “and it beseems me(56) two husbands and a wife would offer more love and security than one husband.” She smiled a gamine smile at Jasmine, Beech and Ash, and then, to the surprise of the crowd and the delight of the trio, burst into song, a sweet and perfectly pitched contralto.

Jasmine and Ash smiled at her, Beech responded in his deep base, “Please continue. We are listening and are interestet(57) in you.”

Lilac finished singing and continued, “I can weave baskets and make hurdles from anything that will bend if soakt(58) long enough, and I am willing to learn anything else.” Lilac went quiet. It was clear she was trying to formulate the words she wished to say, “I like children, and I should like to have children.” She ran out of words, and then all in a rush, as if she had to say them quickly or not at all, the words spilt out “But I’m a virgin, I know not what to do and I haven’t finisht(59) growing yet.”

The Folk were silent. They were entranced by and awed at the courage of this young maid, who was still a girl despite her age. Most felt a sense of pride in her, and though she didn’t know it, there were hundreds of them who would give her a placement if she needed it, as wife, daughter, sister, what ever she wished. She was flusht,(60) and trying hard not to cry or to look any in the eye. Jasmine, Beech and Ash surrounded her. Ash spake to her in his rich, smooth baritone, “You can be happy with us. None will make you do aught you don’t wish to. Naught will happen before you are ready, but if you wish it you have a home, a family and a placement.”

“And six children, betimes seven, too,”Jasmine added.

Beech growled in his basso profundo, making sure the crowd heard him, “None is going to force any wife of mine to do aught. Not unless he wills to sing soprano.” There was a distinctly appreciative and approving laugh from the crowd.

Lilac looked into the eyes of all three of them in turn and said, “Is that it? Am I marryt?”

“Only if you will to be,” Jasmine informed her with a welcoming smile.

“Yes. Yes. Yes,” was the hurried response looking at each in turn, with a Yes to each.

The four of them turned to Willow. Jasmine who spake for the ex-trio, now a quartet, said, “We’ve agreement, and now we must introduce Lilac to her children and rehearse for thisnight.” Willow gestured to the crowd that hadn’t heard the rather quiet last few parts of the appearance. Jasmine looked at the crowd and announced, “We should like to introduce our new wife, Mistress basket maker Lilac, of whom we are proud and protective. We must become ready for thisnight, and we look forward to meeting you at the Greathall. Whilst times she has to meet her children and rehearse. We offer gratitude to the Folk for listening.”

The quartet left the platform, and Willow sighed with relief. For a first representation for the Master at arms it had been a difficult one, but eventually a satisfactory one. For the first time she realised the satisfaction this placement of hers could bring when the Folk achieved satisfactory placement. For the incomers it was even more important, especially as they oft didn’t realise it. For the folkbirtht(61) it was usually a rearrangement of placement. For the newfolk who had much less, if indeed aught at all, it could be a matter of life or deadth.(62) She was glad she was folkbirtht and not from that dreadful place the incomers came from.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004250

BED ME AND ROB ME

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY IVY (74) AND DAVID (73)

1st of Chent Day 4

An old man with a full head of short steely gray hair climbed the steps to the platform. His walk was firm, and he was straight backed, but it was obvious he was nearer to seventy than sixty. He walked to the front of the platform with the confidence of the folkbirtht. “My name is David. I am seventy-three years old and an incomer. My sight is good for a man of my age, but I am not as strong as I once was.” The crowd taekt to this man and laught with him, for many elders it was a familiar situation. “In my youth I sang songs, but my voice has long left me, though I can still tell stories. I have a huge repertoire of stories, but I like to make them up as I go along. I have no idea what I can do on Castle. I am good at looking after the little ones, but I should like to do more than that. I know because of my age I don’t need a craft placement, but I want one, and I am not sure what to ask for. Will any one help me?”

Willow was amazed at this old man who she could see was sincere, but who was taking awful chances with his future by setting no conditions and throwing himself on the mercy of the Folk. It was a situation that lent itself to exploitation. Though it wouldn’t be obvious for that contravened the Way. “You have hearet the words of story teller David. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

There was a delay of a minute or so before an old woman was seen to be asking for help up the platform steps. She eventually came to the front of the platform. All knew Ivy. She was the formidable landlady of Castle’s largest hostelry, a popular inn at Outgangside, which besides serving the best beers available, courtesy of Joseph the brew Master, also rented working quarters to most of Castle’s Mistresses of leisure. In her prime, she had probably been the best man-handler of drunks any had seen. She was one of the most outspaken(63) inhabitants of Castle. She was also one of the most affluent and one of the most respected. She was no member of the flaught,(64) but as with many who followed her craft, was a generous woman at heart, yet for all that she maekt Willow, along with many others, nervous. Ivy had been asked numerous times to join the Council, but she had always declined without explanation. She was an honest woman of impeccable integrity, and it was believed that she declined because she knew too many secrets uttered by those in drink which would have compromised her impartiality as a Councillor.

“I am Ivy, landlady of the White Swan Inn,” she declared. “I am older than you, David, but not by much. I came here in the last incursion of incomers, and I’m a widow woman of many years. I have several men who craft for me, but I’d like a man I can rely on in the cellar and at the counter. A story teller behind the counter will surely bring trade, for all like free entertainment. I have no kin willing to recognise me, yet you can’t beat family for reliability. I like a gambler, and you’d suit me entirely. It’s been twenty years since I’ve had a man in my bed, and I dare say you’re out of practice too, but we could give it try. You’d have to be a monster indeed to bed me and then rob me. What bethink you, David? A widow woman of parts is not a bad placement?”

The crowd was stunned into silence. Some of them had thought Ivy was mellowing in her old age, but this was even better than she had been in her prime. Only it all maekt sense in a strange sort of a way, but it was only Ivy who would have seen the sense in it without it being pointed out to her. There must have been a lot more to David than there appeared to be, for without a trace of self-consciousth,(65) his reply was immediate and to the point. “Yes, we could give it a try, and whilst I am out of practice it’s not been twenty years, but it’s probably been ten,” he chuckled.

“Now, Husband,” Ivy said, “let us go. We have the early rush within the hour, and thisday(66) is the busiest of the year.” She turned to the crowd, buskt(67) her bosom, which was of an entirely appropriate size for a woman who spent a lot of her time selling ale, and said, “For this free entertainment I expect you to be at the counters of the Swan thiseve.(68) We are grateful to the Folk for listening.” She and David helped each other down the stairs, and with what could only be described as a proprietary air she put her arm through his as they strolled away.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie

Word Usage Key

1 Wiedth, width, the property.
2 Mongst, amongst.
3 Hearet, heard.
4 Spaek, Speak.
5 Perisht, perished.
6 Marryt, married.
7 Strongth, strength.
8 Dien, died.
9 Spaech, speech.
10 Saddent, saddened.
11 Granddam, specifically maternal grandmother.
12 Maekt, made.
13 Perse, purple.
14 Wiedth, a nominal finger’s width.
15 Insecticide derived from what the Folk refer to as Strewing Daisy: Tanacetum cinerariifolium. A daisy like flower with white petals and a yellow centre that contains pyrethrins. The yellow colour is due to a harmless and inactive substance added to make the insecticide instantly recognisable and so safe.
16 Uest, used.
17 Bruist, bruised.
18 Catcht, caught.
19 Wisht, wished or wanted.
20 Followt, followed.
21 Telt, told.
22 Finisht, finished.
23 Survivt, survived.
24 Weän, a young child who has in theory been weaned off the breast.
25 Consciousth, consciousness.
26 Spaken, spoken.
27 Noticet, noticed.
28 Discovert, discovered.
29 Goen, gone.
30 Reacht, reached.
31 Apprehendet, apprehended.
32 Findt, found.
33 Flusht, flushed.
34 Braeken, broken.
35 Addresst, addressed.
36 Fluüff, pronounced flue + uff, (flu:ᴧf), a fermented cereal powder, different makers use different combinations of cereals but all include some rye, which when steamed rises into a dark coloured, porous, substantial cake which is then soaked in a fruit and honey syrup. Fluüff is selt as small cubes on fresh edible leaves of many kinds and is a gloriously sticky confection much loved by children from the age of one to one hundred and one. Fluüff are similar to Idlis which are maekt in Southern India from broken rice grains and pulses.
37 Stickith, stickiness.
38 Finisht, finished.
39 Maekt, made.
40 Taekt, took.
41 Highth, height.
42 Gainst, against.
43 Lifes, lives.
44 Whilth, in this context, distance expressed by the time it takes to travel it.
45 Agreän(s), spouse(s), the person(s) one has marital agreement with.
46 Thisnight, tonight.
47 Whilth, in this context, duration or time.
48 Slenderth, slenderness.
49 Considert, considered.
50 Attestet, attested.
51 Fiveteen, fifteen.
52 Strongth, strength.
53 Thisday, today.
54 Killt, killed.
55 Givn, gave
56 Beseems me, seems to me.
57 Interestet, interested.
58 Soakt, soakt.
59 Finisht, finished.
60 Flusht, flushed.
61 Folkbirtht, Folk born.
62 Deadth, death.
63 Outspaken, outspoken.
64 The flaught, the foolish.
65 Self-consciousth, self-consciousness.
66 Thisday, today.
67 Busk, noun, a strip of whalebone or other material, sewn into the front of a corset to stiffen it, also a corset. To busk oneʼs bosom, to reshape it or push it upwards as a corset would. Buskt, past tense of verb to busk.
68 Thiseve, this evening.

up
25 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos