Freyja’s Daughters - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Freyja’s Daughters

by:
Elsbeth

Henry must face the evil that lives in-between

Chapter 2

You ask, what is the aim of the The Department of Portal Administration? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.*

General Ira C. Perry, Ret.
Director of the DPA

--0--

Playing Valkyrie as we called it didn’t stop, and we got rather good at it. Eventually, it turned into a serious hobby, especially after I got my mother involved.

Her work at the DPA consisted mainly of research and development of lightweight armored cloth for Valkyries to wear. When entering an Incursion zone, their clothing goes through a type of metamorphosis turning into their Garderobes. Researchers discovered that the better the material, the more it reinforced their newly manifested armor.

Maggie and I had no problem getting unclassified drawings and photos of the Valkyries in various outfits before and after manifestation. From that day forward, the costumes became more and more elaborate.

The two of us also needed to acquire new skills to be able to build these more detailed costumes. Eventually, we became quite adept at sewing, working with thermoplastic, painting, and so forth. Of course, with all that time and effort we put into our hobby, we couldn’t just make Garderobes and not show them off.

Dressing up for Halloween and cosplay events was something we soon looked forward to. It was about five months before my cousin manifested when we were dressing for one of the larger Valkyrie conventions.

At that time, my mother didn't quite understand how obsessed the two of us had become in wanting to make the costumes look authentic. Although considering our tools and supplies took up one-half of the garage, I couldn’t see how.

We usually went to local events, but mom had time off, so she decided to treat us with tickets to one of the largest conventions in the northeast, Asgard Con in Boston. Most of the smaller events were run by one of the local Valkyrie Fanclubs, but this one being a regional event was hosted by the DPA, so we had no problems getting in.

While Maggie and I were getting dressed, she volunteered to go downstairs to turn in our cosplay registration and pick up our badges. Returning, she would be in for a big surprise. Letting out a small gasp, she set down our badges before walking up to me.

Carefully brushing the hair out of my eyes, my mom, who was apparently now looking a bit weirded out, said, "You did a nice job on his makeup, Maggie.”

Not that I noticed my mother's reaction, as I was too busy trying to get the new armored skirt to fit correctly on my faux Garderobe.

“Oh, it wasn’t me, Aunt Sarah. Your son did his own makeup. He even helps with mine on occasion,” Maggie giggled.

“Henry did this?” asked my mom, looking puzzled. “Sweetheart, where did you learn to put on makeup?”

“It’s all online, mom, plus Mags has some good magazines on how to do it properly.” I smiled at her, now happy with my outfit.

It wasn’t just makeup. Every Valkyrie when they manifest was marked in some way. Some patterns looked like simple tattoos, while others were quite elaborate. The Valkyrie I was cosplaying had stylized flames from her fingers to her elbows.

“Plus, you have been putting in a ton of practice,” Maggie added.

Nodding my head, I said, “True. That looks nice, Mags. You finally got the pauldrons to fit right after all.”

“I know.” She cheerfully spun around.

“Practice?” my mom squeaked. Suddenly looking uncomfortable, she asked, “Honey, what about those?”

I looked down at what she was pointing at. So, the cuirasses didn’t fit right without the breast forms. “Mom, they’re not real geeze.”

I rolled my eyes.

Ok, perhaps seeing her twelve-year-old son in makeup and having what appeared to be breasts might be a bit alarming. Good thing I didn’t bring up the gaff Mags had bought online for me. Some of these outfits were skin tight, so it did make them fit a lot better with it on. And it's not like I dressed up like a girl every day. Just most weekends.

My mom sighed and then started to play with my hair. “Sweetie, I don't remember your hair being this long, either.“

“Oh, there just temporary extensions.“

She then carefully asked, “Does this Valkyrie have a name?”

I could tell she was still a bit lost about the whole thing.

“He calls himself Domino,” Maggie explained as she started to braid my hair.

“No, you can call me Kára.”

She was a new persona as I stopped creating one's based off real Valkyries after one of them I knew personally died.

“Kára, huh you’ve been thinking about that for a while?” Maggie smiled as she then stood next to me while my mother broke out her camera.

“It translates to The Wild One.’’

It took me a while to come up with a theme, but with the red hair and flames, I thought the whole thing looked cool.

“Fits,” Maggie punched me on the shoulder, which I retaliated with a swipe of my foot.

“It’s a pretty name, sweetie now - wow, you look like sisters.” Mom almost dropped the camera as she looked up.

“I know scary. He’s a mini-me.” Maggie happily leaned down, so our faces were touching.

When my mom commented that somehow she now had two daughters, Maggie cried.

Sigh Girls.

--0--

Even with the constant threat of death and destruction, humankind continued to march on. People went to work, to school, and even on vacation.

Right before her fifteenth birthday, Maggie decided over the winter break to take some of her parent’s money and visit her grandparents. My mother would have paid for it, but my cousin insisted that she use her own money. On New Year's Eve, Maggie manifested when somewhere north of Fisher Island, Florida, a class 8 portal opened up.

As you can guess, we were both excited. My mother, not so much, as Maggie would now be expected to fight creatures that had, for the last couple of decades, been terrorizing the world’s population.

Thankfully, at least for my mother’s blood pressure, girls under the age of seventeen continued to live at home and only attended training on the weekends and during breaks from school.

The DPA made sure that these young Valkyries at least had the illusion of a normal life. Unfortunately, in the case of a large Incursion, which required reinforcements, they were brought in from neighboring states. Usually, only the seniors were deployed, mostly.

For the two of us, the Valkyries had been an integral part of our childhood. Don’t get me wrong. We each had our own lives. Maggie had her friends, and I had mine. She played softball, and I ran track. But the days we spent building and designing our Garderobes and weapons were special to us.

So there was also no way that Maggie would not keep me up to date with what she was learning. My mother supplemented her training as much as possible, and in turn, my cousin taught me, well everything.

We both learned how the Valkyries were deployed in combat, how they communicated, what type of Wraiths they hunted, and their strengths and weaknesses.

I still have most of the books hidden under my bed, including the ones that the DPA would lose their fucking minds over if they knew I possessed. They were filled with grainy images and descriptions of creatures such as Skitters, Alphas, Brutes, Fafnir, and the actual city ending nightmares, Jotunns and Titans.

I joked that between my mother’s knowledge and Maggie’s teaching, I might as well have been recruited into the sisterhood. This wonderful time ended almost three years to the day after she manifested for the first time.

By then, as a senior Valkyrie, Maggie had been deployed to Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After a small Incursion in Columbia and a major one just north of Charleston, she had become pretty well known, earning the nickname, 'The Little Dragon.'

When we received a message that she had been wounded near Savannah, Georgia, we were worried. Thankfully, Maggie called and told us it was no big deal, but it earned her a couple of weeks off. My mom and I quickly made plans. The three of us would get to spend Christmas and her eighteenth birthday as a family.

Later the next day, while my mom was out shopping, three officials from the DPA came to our front door, two military officers and Doctor Swenson. When mom returned home, she found me in the doctor’s arms wailing. I had lost my best friend, my sister.

They actually had to sedate me. When I woke in the middle of the night, I felt dead inside. We had learned that Maggie had been killed in a traffic accident. She wanted to surprise us by coming home early, so she and a friend decided to make the long drive home. One of them had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Although no one was at fault, at that moment, I was not too fond of other Valkyries. I hated the DPA and everything it stood for. I didn’t care if the whole world burned. It’s our own stupid fault anyway.

With purpose, I strode into Maggie’s bedroom, ready to destroy our Garderobes, but my reflection in the full-length mirror stopped me. The next morning my mother found me sleeping in my cousin‘s bed dressed in one of her old school uniforms.

Now, my mom and I barely talk. Most nights and holidays I spend alone. She even hired someone to take care of me before disappearing into her work. As much as I liked Sally, I missed my mom, not that I would have told anyone that.

--0—

"Henry."

I looked up as three of my classmates took a seat in front of me. Charlotte and Beth had been in my class since third grade, while Melissa, transferred earlier in the year. All of them were pretty cool, other than being total Valkyrie fangirls. Yes, I know I'm a hypocrite.

"Ladies, what's up?"

I set down my pencil. I had been working in the library trying to finish up some preliminary planning on my latest science project. Last year I had taken First Place for my age group in the State of Massachusetts and even won a little scholarship from the DPA.

Beth picked up the book on Differential Calculus. "Is this from our library?"

I smiled and took it from her, placing it on top of the others. "No, I had to order it online."

This year's research project was on the process of portal creation and stabilization. Not that I wanted to open one, besides the fact I couldn't get the exotic materials for it, but I thought the mathematics would be an exciting topic.

Charlotte looked to the two girls then said. "So, we wanted to make sure you were Ok."

Ahh, yes, well yesterday. Charlotte and Beth knew Maggie pretty well too. I shrugged, "Yea, no worries. I just can't stand the stupidity."

Melissa rolled her eyes, "I know, some of those boys can be so stupid."

I grinned, "I hope I'm not included."

She blushed a little then shook her head, "No, you're Ok."

"Did you know Quicksilver is graduating?" Beth jumped in.

'Graduation' was the popular term the media used for when a Valkyrie retires because she lost her ability to manifest.

"Hey! We were just going to ask how he's doing." Charlotte chastised her friend.

I waved my hand dismissively. "It's ok, when did you learn this?"

Melissa pulled out her phone, played with it a moment before passing it to me. I scrolled through the announcement. Quicksilver, or Alice Stone, had been a Valkyrie stationed here a while back. It looks like she had been deployed to an Incursion in Upper New York State last week but didn't manifest.

I handed Melissa back her phone. "Good for her."

Really, she survived too many girls do not.

"Do you know her?"

"Melissa." Charlotte sighed.

I had to laugh."It's ok. I don't mind. No, I don't know her well; even with her being stationed here, I didn't see her very often."

"Well, it's pretty quiet here," Beth commented. "Which is a good thing."

Everyone at the table nodded. The closest an Incursion had been to our little city of Wells was Boston.

"So, have you heard who they will send here next?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Me? No, sorry, the DPA doesn't keep me informed of Valkyrie transfers."

"Oh," Beth blushed. "I thought you might know because of your, well mom."

Of course. "She doesn't get told either. Unless we're getting someone from the Boston DPA office, then she might know."

Charlotte gave me a sad smile. "Too bad Maggie isn't here, she seemed to know everything."

"True, even if half of what she told us wasn't true."

Beth giggled. "She was nuts."

I looked at Charlotte, and Beth then smiled.

Turning to Melissa, I said, "So let me tell you about the insanity inflicted on the three of us by Maggie Davis, also known as The Little Dragon."

--0—

"This is Doctor Swenson." The voice on the other end of the phone sounded tired.

"Aunt Audrey?"

"Henry? Is everything OK?" she exclaimed.

Oops, she sounded concerned. Well, oh, I guess I never called her at the office before. "Yea, hi, everything's fine. If you're too busy, I can call back at another time."

If she was too busy, then I didn't want to bother her. I mean, this was a stupid idea anyway.

"No, sweetie, it's fine. What can I do you for?"

Sigh, a doctor and a comedian. "I'm sure you've heard that Quicksilver, I mean Alice is retiring."

The line on the other end got silent. I tapped on my phone a little, "Audrey, are you still there?"

"No, I mean, yes, I'm just surprised you're interested," she sounded perplexed.

"Well, you see, I have a couple of, well three really, friends, and we were talking about it." I stammered a bit. "I thought you might know. They are pretty big fans, and well, we were curious if you knew who was replacing her."

"Slow down, Henry. I didn't get all of it," she chuckled. "Yes, Alice is retiring."

"Ok, right. I saw the news release." I remarked, then asked. "Do you know who is going to replace her?"

The line on the other end got silent again."Audrey?"

"Henry, are these friends of yours, girls by chance?" Her question caught me by surprise, and why does it sound like she's laughing at me.

"Yes, I mean, they are, but we're only friends." I insisted. And yes, I can now hear laughing at the other end of the phone.

"Alright, well, let's see. If I were a betting woman."

"Which you are," I replied.

She and my mom's floating poker games were notorious when they were Valkyries. I still remember the two of them heading off to Atlantic City for the weekend, well, when there was still an Atlantic City to go to.

"Correct, then I would guess it's either Julie Kemper or Emma Kingston. My bet is on Emma Kingstone."

"Hmm, I don't think I know Emma."

Julie's family lived up towards Portsmouth. She was also older than Alice, so I wouldn't be surprised if she graduated soon as well.

"She manifested about six months ago. Nice girl, you would like her," she said.

"Ok, thanks."

"You know, if you want, I can scrounge up four VIP tickets to Alice's official graduation ceremony. That is if you're interested. I think Alice would be happy to have some friendly faces there as well."

"Would it really be OK? Charlotte and the other's parents don't work for the DPA."

I had been to a graduation ceremony before. It was usually filled with generals and other government types. However, the food at the end was pretty good, and frequently other Valkyries old and new would show up.

"Absolutely," Audrey insisted.

"You know what? Yea, that sounds like fun."

--0--

When by the end of the week, it appeared that I might be spending my birthday without my mom, I decided enough was enough. I meant to give her a piece of my mind or something like that. It's just that the two of us really needed to talk, something we haven't done in the past year or so.

Early Saturday morning, I open a video-call directly to the DPA dorms where she had been staying. Surprisingly, my mom answered after the first beep, and I noticed how tired she looked.

Just like when for the first time, I had seen myself in the full-length mirror as Kára, my worldview shifted. It felt like a hammer to the chest. Maggie's death hit her just as hard as it hit me, more so as my mother had also lost her sister years earlier. For the first time in a long while, I was happy to see her face.

”Good morning Kára.“ She gave me a tired smile. ”Happy Birthday“

”Thanks, and Henry's fine mom.“

”Really?“ She looked startled as I was currently dressed in one of Maggie’s old outfits.

Before today, I would angrily insist that while dressing this way, she needed to call me Kára.

”Yea, I think it's time mom. You coming home?“

I now understood why she worked so hard. She wanted to give the young girls who wore the Garderobes a chance to have a life beyond the Valkyries.

Nodding, she pointed to the mess behind her.”I'm finishing up and will be there well before dinner." She then paused, "You do know you are more important to me than work.“

She must have read my mind, but I knew. ”I do.“

We both looked at each other and smiled. ”What are your plans for today, birthday boy?“

Looking up towards Maggie's bedroom, I said, ”I am thinking of taking Kára out for one last spin.“

I then named a few stores and a bakery, all of Maggie's favorite places.

“And then?“ My mother nodded in understanding.

I wiped the tears from my eyes. ”I’m going to start packing up her room; I’m sure we can use the space for something else.“

I knew we both needed this for closure. My therapist would be so proud.

“I’ll bring home some boxes. Oh, I also have a surprise for you. You’re going to love it.”

“So what is it?” That got me curious.

“I’ll tell you when I get home,” She grinned.

We talked for thirty more minutes before she said we would continue the conversation tonight. With that, I went upstairs; I had some things to do before my last outing as Kára Squire.

--0--

up
330 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somehow, I have the feeling.......

D. Eden's picture

That his surprise is going to be she’s bringing home another Valkyrie.

But on the other hand, perhaps it has something to do with Henry becoming Kara permanently? Will Henry be the first boy to manifest?

You definitely have me intrigued as to where this is going!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Next time

I wonder if Kara will manifest while being out or at the graduation ceremony. Or maybe Kara’s experiments will let her manifest or her mom has something to help her do that.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Manifesting

WillowD's picture

My first thought was that it would happen at the graduation ceremony too. Then it occurred to me that there will be lots of Valkyrie there so from a story writing point of view this isn't the best place for it to happen. I suspect it's going to happen during Kára's last spin. After all, there will be fewer than the normal number of Valkyrie in the area so Kára will be fighting on her own at first. And I am also thinking that the cosplay costumes and weapons may turn out to be unusually effective.

Of course, we are only guessing that Kára will be manifesting at all. But given that the story is being published on BCTS, it is almost certain to happen.

(And on a totally different topic, it's now Wednesday, which means Sunday is only 4 days away. When us adoring fans will be hopefully checking our computers regularly for the next The Lost Queen installment. Oh yeah, it's also 2020 now, but that's not nearly as important. Happy New Year's everyone.)

Wow. Did I get this wrong.

WillowD's picture

2020 not being particularly important. Let's just say it's been the most interesting year in my life, not counting purely personal stuff.

Hmm!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Really enjoying this so far, maybe as much as Lady Eleanor.... I KNOW! That's pushing it, but they are both quite captivating.

last outing as Kára Squire ..

last outing as Kára Squire ... yeah right. I have to say this is quitethe long buildup and a fun read even if part of my mind is screaming, "just get on with it and manifest already."

Just get on with it

I have been feeling that too the build up is so slow I hope it makes the manifesting that much more enjoyable.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

The slow build up.

WillowD's picture

I, on the other hand, have quite enjoyed the slow build up. It gives a lot of background information and makes the characters much more real to me. And when I'm rereading this story next year when it's 40 chapters long (OK, there may be a little wishful thinking here on my part) this buildup is going to seem pretty quick.

The main "problem" is just that Elsbeth's stories are so awesomely good that when each chapter is posted we are itching to read the next one right away.

Probably true

That’s more than likely true,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Maggie’s clothes

I wonder if they will need to go clothes shopping or Maggie’s clothes will fit the new Kára.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

People she knows

I wonder if she is going to run into Charlotte, Beth and Melissa while she is taking Kára out for one last spin and if they will manifest alongside her. Or she could run into the boys in her class while she is out.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I’m loving this story

Can’t wait to see the next chapter and see if my thoughts on where it will lead come to fruition.

This is so sad

It's so great he and Maggie had such a great relationship. I'm disappointed in Mom.

Garderobe...?

I love all of your stories, this one included, but I just can’t get the vision of a toilet out of my head every time I see the word “garderobe”!

Garderobes - Definition

Elsbeth's picture

Ahh :)

But the original comes from Garde-robe which derives from the French word for "wardrobe", a lockable place where clothes and other items are stored.

Garderobes were "Properly, not a latrine or privy but a small room or large cupboard, usually adjoining the chamber [bedroom] or solar [living room] and providing safe-keeping for valuable clothes and other possessions of price: cloth, jewels, spices, plate and money.

Which makes sense as the Valkyrie clothing is hidden someplace, and its also a nod to an old manga I read where the girls manifested armor.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Aha! The truth is out.

WillowD's picture

Between this comment here and comments for The Lost Queen it is obvious. Elsbeth is a fan of historical clothing. Now I'm wondering if she belongs to some historical recreation groups like The Society for Creative Anachronisms.

I, er, um, may also have belonged to one or two of these. The SCA. The Twelfth Night Society (food, clothing, dancing). The English Country Dance society (dance, but also clothing when you you are in the performing group like I was). So maybe more than two. A lot more than two.

Historical Clothing

Elsbeth's picture

Oh I adore historical fashion, not like I have a dozen books on it in front of me or anything. Modern fashion is nice and all but Elizabethan, Regency, Romantic Era, Orientalism oh my.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Differential Calculus

WillowD's picture

I personally got a real giggle at this one.

Beth picked up the book on Differential Calculus. "Is this from our library?"

Here's why. When I was a kid I joined The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. It cost a mere $15 per year. And one of the best parts? You could borrow books from their library. They covered the postage for mailing it both ways. Being the math nerd that I was, I borrowed a book calculating planetary motions. This is where I learned differential calculus.

Loss can be very hard to accept

Jamie Lee's picture

Maggie survived her parents but not her own accident, a senseless accident. Would Henry and Audery have taken Maggie's death as hard had she died fighting whatever came through a portal?

Henry being an only child relished Maggie being his sister, so it was understood why her death hit him so hard. But what did Audery feel about Maggie? Was Maggie the daughter she never had? Was that why she buried herself in her work? Did she ever consider how her handling Maggie's loss was affecting Henery? At a tragic moment in Henery's life when he needed support, mom leaves him to himself. Might this have lasting affects on Henery or will he truly understand and put it behind him?

Henery taking Kára for a final spin has implications that Kára might not be put away as Henry plans. Or his going to the DPA graduation ceremony as only a friendly face in the crowd. Might Henry have enough girl in him to suddenly manifest? If so, that will be one big surprise.

Others have feelings too.

last outing?

I wouldnt count on that.

DogSig.png