Castle The Series - 0066 Children, Buzzard, Joining the Clans, Agreäns, Names

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004310

MASTER AT ARMS DETAILS

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES OF ADOPTION OF CHILDREN

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

1st of Chent Day 4

Grayling ascended the ladder and walked straight to the front of the platform. She held her hands up for silence and proceeded to spaek,(1) “This platform will be used purely to announce matters that are pre-agreen.(2) There will be no need for for the Folk to act as the law, though as always any is entitelt(3) to have her say. It is my intent to read a list of incomer children who have been adoptet(4) and state their new parents. I expect no dissent on this matter and Thomas has stated that if any wish to revoke any of those adoptions they have spaech(5) with himself and Will the huntsman who will give them a hearing.” With Will involved that was tantamount to saying what any had to say would be heard and ignored. “There are some few children not yet adoptet, some we believe wish to make an appearance, the others are seemingly difficult to place, and on their behalf I ask that some mongst(6) you find it in yourselfs(7) to give a home to and aid to heal difficult children who have suffered what the healers say you can not envisage in your darkest of nightmares.

“After I have so done there will be a number of agreäns(8) making an appearance where one of them is newfolk. You may consider their appearance to be frivolous, but I ask for forbearance and your tolerance in these matters. For newfolk, agreement has to be a more formal matter than we regard it, and for them to consider their agreement to be genuine your approval is necessary. Each and every one of those couples shall be given the full and proper treatment the Way says an appearance requires. There shall be no shorting of their rights, so I ask that you be generous of your time and make well come our new crafters, for this is a matter of great import to them. Gratitude.”

Grayling read a long list of children and of their adoptive parents concluding with, “I know it is not necessary but you agreement and approval would be a good thing would it not?”

The roar of “Agreen and approven,” was all she had hoped for, and she considered it unlikely Thomas and Will would be troubled by the matter.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004320

I WANT TO FEEL MARRIED

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES SUKI (22) AND TULL (27)

1st of Chent Day 4

A young couple walked to the front of the platform. The woman spake first, “My name is Suki. I am an incomer and a midwife, and I have agreement with Tull. We have decided we want our agreement attested before the Folk so I can feel I have been married.”

“I am Tull, a hunter, temporarily a guardian till the incursion is over,” Tull explained, “and though I have no need for an appearance Suki would like it, so I ask for our agreement to be attestet.”(9)

Grayling said, “You have hearet(10) the words of Mistress midwife Suki and Master hunter Tull. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded in the traditional way to such an appearance and shouted, “Agreen(11) and approven.”

Suki and Tull both said, “Gratitude to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004330

CARP AND WATER VEGETABLES

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY BUZZARD

1st of Chent Day 4

A grizzled, late middle aegt(12)man walked to the front of the platform using two sticks and announced, “I am Buzzard, a composter with the growers and a raiser of carp. Most of my carp end in the Refectory. I have poor legs, but Milligan’s requirement for fresh fish is increasing. I wish to use another six of the pools outside the moat, so I don’t have to walk any farther than to where I currently raise them. If the idea works I may wish another six in a year or two. I don’t wish to upset any, or use what I am unaware some other is using. My wife has maekt(13) a drawing of the pools, and I have discusst(14) the matter with the Master at arms staff who are going to have Næna prepare a proper map of the pools, but whilst times the drawing is with them, and they suggest I ask any who is using a pool to register it with them.

They have telt(15) me I can use any pool that has not been registert(16) as in use in a tenner. Some of my grower colleagues are interestet(17) in growing water vegetables in the pools. Since we believe the water vegetables will provide some carp food and the fish will fertilise the water for the vegetables we propose to try them both in pools with and without carp to see if it makes a difference. If any has an idea for the use of the pools, whether it be compatible with the carp or no, I should be interestet to try it.”

Grayling the Master at arms representative stepped forward and said the ritual words, “You have hearet the words of Master Buzzard the composter and carp keeper spaeking(18) on behalf of himself, his grower colleagues and the Master at arms. I can endorse what he has sayt(19) on behalf of Thomas the Master at arms. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

Many of the Folk knew of the situation, and an increase in the supply of fish for Grangon’s crafters to cook, from the mostly unuest(20) pools so conveniently nearby was appreciated, and all were intrigued by the prospect of the novel new water vegetables. “Agreen and approven,” was shouted by the crowd.

Buzzard said, “My gratitude to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform with some assistance.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004340

DOES YEW KNOW?

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES MINT (22) AND KEVIN (23)

1st of Chent Day 4

A young couple walked to the front of the platform. The woman, who looked to be more a girl than a woman, spake first, “I am Mint. I am a seamster(21) with the seamstresses, and I have agreement with Kevin. We should like it attestet.”

“I am Kevin a thatcher with the builders,” the young man said quietly, and looking rather embarrassed he hesitated before continuing, “I am an incomer, and I have agreement with Mint to marry.”

Few of the crowd other than seamstresses knew any thing of Mint other than she was Yew’s youngest child, and many wondered if he knew his daughter had agreement with the tall nervous looking young thatcher who as a son of Yew’s would eventually become an important person on Castle. Still they wished the young couple joy and good fortune.

Grayling said, “You have hearet the words of Mistress seamster Mint and Master thatcher Kevin. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded, “Agreen and approven.”

Mint and Kevin both said, “We are grateful to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004350

I’M A WOMAN NOW

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY MINNOW AND HARMONY

1st of Chent Day 4

A small, plump and decidedly curvaceous young woman with short-cut, ash-blonde hair and gray eyes went up the stairs and addresst(22) the crowd. “When I was a girl I was Minnow, which I liekt.(23) I have turnt(24) fourteen and am now a woman. I feel Minnow is not appropriate any longer. I like music, and I sing. I am Harmony.”

Grayling yet again spake the traditional words. “You have hearet the words of Harmony, the woman. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

At the “Agreen and approven.,” Harmony smiled, waved to the crowd and said, “My gratitude to the Folk for hearing me,” and left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004360

A PREGNANT SPINSTER

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES FRAN (22) AND DYKER (22)

1st of Chent Day 4

A young couple walked to the front of the platform, the woman was heavily pregnant, but smiling even though she had required help to manage the stairs up to the platform. The man spake first, “I am Dyker, a hunter and temporary guardian, and I have agreement with Fran.”

Fran continued, “My name is Fran, and I am an incomer with a placement as a lærer(25) weaver. I should like the Folk to attest my agreement with Dyker.”

Grayling said, “You have hearet the words of lærer weaver Fran and Master hunter Dyker. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd agreen and shouted, “Agreen and approven.”

Dyker and then Fran said, “We are under obligation to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004370

THE CELEBRATIONS LASTED THREE DAYS

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES JOINING THE CLANS

1st of Chent Day 4

Two men and two women walked to the front of the platform, followed by a younger man. Two of the men each stood with a woman and most of the Folk recognised the two couples. One of the men said, “I am Blizzard, a sheepherd(26) marryt(27) to Lobelia.”

The woman at his side continued, “I am Lobelia, a sheepherdess marryt to Blizzard, and together we represent our clan of sheepherds in the matter to be raist(28) before the Folk thisday.”(29)

The other woman spake, “I am Orache, a sheepherdess marryt to Trammon.”

Her man continued, “I am Trammon, a sheepherd marryt to Orache, and together we represent our clan of sheepherds in the matter to be raist before the Folk thisday.”

The younger man said, “I am Durance and I represent what remains of our clan of sheepherds for we suffert(30) grievous sore from the fevers and have loes(31) all our surviving elders since.”

Orache put the matter before the Folk. The other three were fifty or so, but she was in her middle or late thirties, though older looking than Durance. “Durance’s clansfolk indeed suffert grievous sore may hap worse than any other from the fevers. They, to all our sorrows, have no elders left to advise them, or that need caring to. Lunes since the clans on this side of the Arder sent folk, including elders, over the river to assist Durance’s clansfolk and we have now concludet(32) our negotiations concerning joining the three clans. We know once, long over, we were one clan, but three brothers each intent on authority over the others goent(33) their own ways, and thus we became three clans.

“We wish to rejoin the clans on terms of equality. What ever their substance or commitments the other clans agree to even try to reckon a balance for Durance’s clansfolk is gainst(34) the Way, for they have dire want. The clan of Trammon and myself is of greater substance in terms of our flocks than that of Blizzard and Lobelia, but we’ve heavier commitments in terms of our elders who need care to. We tryt(35) for lunes to balance these out to see which clan oewt(36) how much to the other, but it was too difficult, so at the far end of it we all decidet(37) it wasn’t worth the effort, givn(38) up, and had the celebration any hap.” The crowd laught, having heard the celebration lasted three days and the sore heads even longer.

“In future we shall share all resources and loads, including those who need care to, and we intend to improve the way we graze our flocks. We shall in the future maintain all our existing blood lines of fat lambs raist for meat and those of milch ewes. We shall carefully cross the best sheep blood lines. There will be new blood lines from the incursion animals, but none can say how many. We’ve come to no conclusions as to what we shall do with the goats, or the incursion goats and new beasts, yet are still in discussion with others as well as our clansfolk. The newfolk couple who spaek no Folk nor English are well come by all of us as kin no matter what happens or where they choose to live, for their skill with milch sheep commands the respect of us all.

“We’ve taken in newfolk as apprentices, lærers and family members. No doubt there will be some internal rearrangements within our families as opportunities arise, but these don’t need to concern the Folk. We shall become one clan in name as well as by blood for there has always been considerable inter marriage twixt(39) the three clans, and all members have always countet(40) all others as kith. We no longer have a pair of clan leaders each. We’ve a council of the five of us you see here. Should Durance acquire an agreän there shall be six of us. May hap that will subsequently change. If so it will be at the will of the clan. I have now sayt all I am suppoest(41) to, but I shall let the others spaek.”

One by one the others agreed Orache had covered everything, and they all endorsed what she had said as the will of their clansfolk. Durance added, “I am the oldest surviving member of my clan. I am on my own, for I am a widower and loes wife and children to the fevers. All my clansfolk are agreen without aid the clan is no longer a viable coöperative.”

Grayling stepped forward and said, “You have hearet the words of Orache and Trammon, Lobelia and Blizzard and Durance spaeking on behalf of their separate clansfolks, now their joint clansfolk. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

“Agreen and approven,” was shouted by the crowd.

Orache responded for them all, “The clan is grateful to the Folk for listening,” and they left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004370

WE WANT MORE

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES PAMELA (33) AND MULLEIN (53)

1st of Chent Day 4

The next couple onto the platform were a woman in her early thirties who was somewhere in the middle of her pregnancy and an older man who looked to be in his fifties. The man spake first saying, “I am Mullein a founder, and I have agreement with my wife Pamela.”

The woman looked at Grayling who indicated she was to address the crowd not her. Turning to the crowd she said, “My name is Pamela. I am an incomer, and I have joined the Master at arms administration. I am as you see five lunes pregnant, and Mullein and I should like more. I want my wedding attested by you please.”

Grayling said, “You have hearet the words of Mistress administrator Pamela and Master founder Mullein. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded, “Agreen and approven.”

“Thank you for listening,” Pamela said.

Mullein said, “I am grateful to the Folk for listening.” They left the platform, Mullein helping his wife down the steep stairs.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004380

AN APPRENTICE FAMILY

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES MIST (42) AND FRANCIS (52) KRISTIANA (17) CLIFF (13)

1st of Chent Day 4

Francis was fifty-two, and all his life his hobby had been metal work. He had divorced fourteen years ago, and he had decided metalwork was a safer hobby than women. He made all sorts of things, but making custom metal work for a local saddler and tack maker had added considerably to his income as a builder’s labourer. He loved making knives, but he only bothered when he could find a piece of iron or steel that had originated before scrap motor vehicles were reprocessed. He was convinced the slight copper content from the vehicles’ wiring was what spoilt modern steel, and that it explained why you could sharpen it to a good edge, but it wouldn’t hold the edge, and what, he reasoned, was the point of making a knife that went blunt as soon as you used it? He was familiar with the old fashioned terms for his hobbies, a lorimer(42) and a cutler,(43) and those were the terms uest(44) on Castle. He had joined the huntsmen in both capacities.

He had been introduced to Mist, a forty-two year old goldsmith, at the dinner dance on his second day on Castle. She had lost her man to the fevers, and she’d never had any children. She explained she worked in a variety of metals and with both precious and semi precious stones, and she cut crystal for chandeliers. He telt her his mother had had an amber pendant with an insect in it. She said she knew it was possible, but as far as she knew none of the Folk had one, or had even seen one with other than fragments of an insect embedded in the amber. By the end of the eve they had reached agreement, and they’d decided to see if they could adopt a pair of young adults or older children from the incomers who wished to apprentice to each of them.

The following day they went to the Master at arms with their plans where they were introduced to seventeen year old Kristiana whom they adopted and who apprenticed to Mist. Failing to find a young adult apprentice for Francis they went to the infirmary where they met Cliff, a thirteen year old who wished to apprentice to Francis, and they adopted him. The four of them taekt(45) the advice of the Master at arms staff and maekt a joint appearance on Quarterday.

They went to the front of the Platform, and as agreed, Mist spake for them. “I am Mist a goldsmith, and I have agreement with Francis who is a lorimer and cutler with the huntsmen. We’ve adoptet seventeen year old Kristiana who has apprenticet(46) to me and threeteen year old Cliff who has apprenticet to Francis. We have been adviest(47) by the Master at arms staff to seek the recognition of this before the Folk.

Francis, Kristiana and Cliff each in turn said, “That’s so.”

Grayling said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of Mistress goldsmith Mist, Master lorimer-cutler Francis and their daughter and son, apprentices Kristiana and Cliff. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded in the traditional way to such an appearance and shouted, “Agreen and approven.” The four making the appearance said in turn, “We are grateful to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004390

BOTH HELPED OFF THE PLATFORM

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES PATRICIA (28) AND CHESTNUT (26)

1st of Chent Day 4

Both of the next couple to make their way onto the platform, in spite of both being in their twenties, needed help with the stairs. The woman was in the middle of her pregnancy, and the man had his right arm in a heavy cast. The woman started by saying, “My name is Patricia. I am an incomer who has joined the healers, and I have agreement with my husband Chestnut. I should like my agreement to marry and have a family attested to.”

The man continued, “I am Chestnut, a miner. I met my wife Patricia at the infirmary. We have agreement.”

Grayling said, “You have hearet the words of Mistress healer Patricia and Master miner Chestnut. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded in the traditional way, “Agreen and approven.”

Patricia and Chestnut both said, “We are grateful the Folk for listening.” They left the platform, both of them being helped down the stairs.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004400

ATTEST OUR FAMILY

AFTERNOON PRE-AGREED APPEARANCES TIMOTHY (41) AND AXEL (40) NECTAR (12) WAVERLY (11)

1st of Chent Day 4

Just before leaving home after lunch, Timothy had given Nectar and Waverley some tokens. The children had looked at the irregularly shaped metal pieces, which were stamped on both sides, with puzzlement. “It’s Castle money,” Axel had explained.

“The children had both said, “Thank you, Mum” and pocketed the tokens.

Timothy added, “There is no need to be careful with the tokens. I have given you what probably every child at the Gather intends to enjoy thisday. I understand whence you came it was common for those who didn’t understand to be taken advantage of, but none will do that here. If you don’t understand all you have to do is ask. I could explain it now, but you will have more fun and learn better finding out for yourselfs.”

The couple’s first objective at the Gather was to make an appearance, and the family had decided all four of them would do so, though the children were nervous of doing so. When one of the staffed platforms for pre-agreed matters was free the family maekt their way to the front of the platform. Timothy spake first, “I am Timothy, a Mistress knitter of the seamstresses. I have adoptet Nectar and Waverley and have agreement with Axel Master woodworker. We wish our family to be attestet before the Folk.”

She stood back a little, and Axel spake, “My name is Axel. I am an incomer and, as my wife has said, a woodworker. This is our daughter Nectar and our son Waverley,” he encouraged the children to the front of the platform, and they spake in turn.

“My name is now Nectar. I am twelve, and I live with Mum and Dad and Waverley.”

“My name is Waverley. I am eleven, and I live with Mum and Dad and Nectar.”

Grayling said, “You have hearet the words of Mistress knitter Timothy, Master woodworker Axel and their children Nectar and Waverley. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd responded in the traditional way to such an appearance and shouted, “Agreen and approven.”

All four of the new family said, “We are grateful to the Folk for listening,” and left the platform to go and enjoy themselves.

Grayling waited a minute and said, “That is all the pre-agreen appearances on my list, but Beauty is going to manage any else that will to be hearet.”

“I still don’t understand. What exactly is the Gather?” Axel asked Timothy, as Nectar and Waverley waited their turn to be served at a confectionery stall selling fluüff(48) which Timothy had recommended they try. “It seems to mean all sorts of different things depending on who is using the word.”

Timothy thought for a few seconds and said, “That will be because it means so many things and rarely will any one person be considering them all at the same time. The Gather in total includes all aspects of everything that happens on a Quarterday. It is a loose term, and it becomes even more vague when second Quarterday is being considert.(49) Strictly, the Gather refers to all celebratory activities taking place on a Quarterday which includes everything taking place within a family in their chambers, house or holding. It also includes such events as take place in inns be they however small, and some are very small, or as large as the White Swan at Outgangside which has a total floor area greater than that of the Greathall.

“It includes all the official celebrations, though I doubt that official is an official word to use in this context, in the Greathall, the Keep courtyard and all other Keep areas such as the Refectory, the various craft spaces such as the Huntsman’s Commons and all the unpredictable activities taking place on the Gatherfield, which is what where we are now is yclept. A lune and a half before second Quarterday the sheepherds bring large numbers of sheep to the Gatherfield to graze the grass ready for the Gather. I suppose any where the sheep have graezt(50) is part of the Gatherfield though only a bit of the plain is uest.”

The children had returned with their fluüff, and Timothy insisted they sit down at the tables to eat, and telt them the stall would have water and a clout for them to wash with when they had finished. “Your dad and I shall be back in a minute. We are going for a glass of wine.” She guided Axel to a wine stall, and asked for two glasses of the robust red.

Whilst waiting for their wine, she continued her explanations. “A major part of the Gather is the appearances which depending upon the weather take place on the Gatherfield, in the courtyard or in the Greathall. The Gather is thus a legal event, a social event and a public holiday. Most Folk when they refer to the Gather are usually only considering the activities that take place at the most significant space available given the weather which means the Gatherfield on second and usually third Quarterday, the courtyard on may hap third Quarterday and rarely first Quarterday and the Greathall on fourth and usually first Quarterday.”

She paid for the wine, which was a deep perse(51) rather than red, and they returned to the children and sat down with them to drink their wine. As they drank she continued, “Second Quarterday is the high point of the year. the Gatherfield is always uest, and virtually the entire Folk are in attendance. Many are competitors in the competitions, but more are here simply to enjoy their children and kinsfolk competing and to enjoy gossiping with folk they may not have met with for a while. Whilst it is true all competitors do their best to win it is also true there is no shame in not winning, neither is there any pressure to compete. The day is to enjoy irrespective of how one spends it. I am not an expert on the competitions, and I have never competet(52) at aught, but when I was a girl I bethinkt(53) myself they were exciting to watch. Would you like to watch some? I’m sure the children will, and I don’t mind.”

The children returned from their wash, and Nectar asked, “We’ve been asked if we may watch the competitions with the girls and boys over there, Mum.” She pointed to a dozen or more children between eight and fourteen who were obviously folkbirtht(54) and waiting for them, “May we please?”

Timothy pleased the children were making friends, replied, “Yes. But I will you back home at half seven, that’s half to seven remember not half past seven, in time to wash and change for dinner which we are eating with kith in the Refectory.” The children ran back to their new friends, and they all disappeared into the crowd. Timothy turned to Axel and said, “I’m glad they’re making friends, and if I’d sayt no they would have been miserable for the rest of the day.”

“You don’t have to justify it to me, Love. Children prefer the company of children, and it gives us a bit of time to ourselves. What do you know of the competitions?”

“The only physical one I know aught of is the wrestling.” At that Timothy blushed bright red and laught, “I shouldn’t be embarrasst(55) at my age, but like a lot of girls I was very interestet in watching the boys and young men wrestle. The scoring is complicatet,(56) and I never understandt(57) it, and I doubt if any of my friends doet(58) either. I know style is considert to be as important as strongth.(59) It has always been a light heartet(60) event, and it is very popular with spectators. Unlike most of the competitions winning is not considert to be of any importance, and oft a winner is not declaert.(61)

“Many of the competitions are really demonstrations of athletic prowess, thoroughly rehearst(62) by the young men, rather than true competitions. The original purpose of the competition was to encourage young men to work off their aggression in an acceptable way to limit fighting. Wrestling is popular with young men. I suspect because girls and young women like to watch, and it takes place all year usually in the Greathall in the eves with a large audience. My friends and I were there nearly every eve when wrestling taekt place till we were fourteen.” She smiled and sayt, “You know I haven’t remembert(63) that for years.”

Axel smiled in return, and admitted, “I spent a lot of time watching lasses when I was younger. Unfortunately it got me nowhere because of my studies and the way I talk. What else do you know about?”

“Sanno(64) is a favourite game of the Folk, it is a gambling game playt(65) by two pairs of partners with pieces refert(66) to as stones, flat rectangular pieces, a wiedth(67) by two, with markings on one face. They are usually maekt of wood rather than stone, though some older sets are maekt of stone, and expensive newer sets are maekt of bone or even ivory. The sanno competitors start with one thousand tallys each, and to win the competition a pair of partners have to win all the opposition’s tallys. It requires skill and an ability to work out what the opposition is thinking and are trying to achieve. Will the Master huntsman and his niece Willow are regular partners, and they are becoming a winning pair. I have playt, but I was never any good at it.

“The competition for the best garment usually has a lot of entrants. It is adjudgt(68) by senior seamstresses who may not enter themselfs.(69) It is entert(70) by many of the seamstresses and by even more non-seamstresses. Nigh to three-quarters of the entrants are women, but last year’s winner was Bow. He was nineteen, and he knits socks, usually warm winter boot socks, but it was a beautifully patternt(71) pair of women’s summer stockings he won with. He’d maekt them for Clœve then his intendet(72). They have agreement now and a girl babe of half a year.

“The competition for the tastiest foods, like the garment competition, usually has a lot of entrants. It is adjudgt by senior cooks and members of the food and drinks crafts, not all from the Keep, who may not enter themselves. It is entert by many craft cooks and by even more non-craft cooks. There are as many women as men enter. There are competitions for bread, cakes, pies, main meals and lots of other things too. The only winner I can recall from last year was Garnet with her marine soup.

“The competition for the most refreshing leaf has few entrants. Leaf blending is a specialiest(73) craft requiring an exquisite nose and sense of taste. The competitors have to produce a five gallon batch of leaf, and any of the Folk who wish a small mug to taste write down their scores on score sheets, but they don’t know who maekt which batch. The winner is the one with the highest average score. It has been won by Grove for the last eight years. He and his assistant Bilberry supply most of the blendet(74) leaf to the Keep kitchens. That’s all I know really. I know there are trebuchet,(75) longbow, crossbow, spear, knife and sling competitions and running and jumping competitions. Oh! and ropepull(76) too but I don’t know aught of them. If I see any I know who would know I’ll ask her for you.”

The couple looked at the stalls and even caught sight of the children a few times. “Who are the stall holders, Timothy? What do they do the rest of the time?”

“Some are from the Keep kitchens. They are entitelt like all to the day for themselfs, so like all crafting on Quarterday they receive three days’ worth of remuneration for their crafting. Many are young with children and the extra tokens help their families. Most are crafters taking advantage of the day to sell the products of their craft, like craft seamstresses, but a good few have a craft they only do on Quarterday. Odell is a senior crafter on the Master at arms staff, but he enjoys making fluüff. He doesn’t need the tokens, but enjoys the gossip and gives the profit to those in want. A number of the stalls are family concerns or part of clan coöperatives where the stall complements their normal activities. Growers who sell their crops and foragers who cook small game and sell wild fruit and nuts at Third Quarterday would be examples of that. A few are cross craft hunters or foragers with little to sell, many of those are children. Joseph the brew Master has several stalls selling everything he produces and his crafters do an hour each for a day’s remuneration, but oft members of their family aid them. It’s varyt,(77) but none can be forcet(78) to craft on Quarterday. The stall I buyt(79) our wine from was one of Joseph’s.”

They had decided to find something to eat when Timothy looking towards a woman on their left said, “Goodday, Gale. Where’s Leech? Preparing for the knife throwing?”

“No, he’s not here. I take it you’ve not hearet he and Gimlet are enforcing the way and have goen(80) after the two incomers who raept(81) the young newfolk woman.”

Timothy nodded and said, “Yes, I hadn’t hearet, but I know both of them would consider that to be more important than the competitions. Do you know my man, Axel?” Gale didn’t and introductions were maekt. “You would know of the competitions, Gale. Would you explain to Axel?”

“Certainly, but not till I’ve had something to eat. I came for a steamt(82) kine and mushroom suet pie.” The three of them looked at the stalls till they came to the one selling steamt aurochs and mixt(83) fungi suet pies. “Excellent! Even better,” remarked Gale.

As the man lifted hers out of the kettle and turned it out of its container onto a plate Axel exclaimed, “I don’t know how far I’ve come, but I never expected to find steak puddings here! I’ll have one of those too.”

The suet pies were half a pint in fullth(84) and substantial looking. “I’m sure I won’t be able to finish one, but if you could finish mine, Axel, I’ll join you.”

Axle nodded to Timothy, and the three taekt their food to a nearby table where after tasting his Axel declared, “This is as good as any I have ever eaten, though I’ve never had one with wild fungi or even mushrooms in before. Onions or kidney or even both is more usual where I come from. Really hungry lads have them in a stottie cake(85) which is a huge doughy bannock about three spans across and half a span thick.” They enjoyed the food, but as she had said Timothy couldn’t finish hers, but Axel had no trouble doing it for her. When he had finished he telt the women, “That was what I call ribsticking fodder.” The word was new to both of them, and maekt them laugh, but the concept was an obvious and useful one.

A stall sever came to remove their plates and asked, “Shall I bring you leaf or something else?”

“Leaf please,” Gale replied looking to the others who nodded, “Three mugs of leaf please,” she amended. The young man nodded and left. “What would you like to know of the competitions, Axel?”

“Anything and everything I suppose. I just want to learn what I can about Castle and the Folk.”

Gale nodded and after thinking few moments telt him, “There are many who need to hunt for food because they spend considerable time away from the Keep who compete with longbow, crossbow, spear, knife and sling, not just members of the huntsman’s office, though probably three-quarters of the competitors are huntsmen or have some connection with us.

“There are a number of separate longbow competitions. The longbow farth(86) competition has been won by Will for years. Each competitor flights ten arrows, and their farth is the average of their best three arrows.” She laught and continued, “It is widely held Will is more dangerous than any of his bows. I should say that to be without doubt true.

“The other longbow competitions involve flighting ten arrows at a target with five rings. The rings are scoert(87) with five for an eye, four for a near, three for a heart, two for a far and one for a tail. There are separate competitions over eighty, one hundred, one hundred and twenty and one hundred and fifty strides. Dayflower, who is a grower, and Blade, who is a forester, are regularly successful competitors who come to mind as non-huntsmen, but the best for accuracy generally is Gimlet, my man’s hunter, she acquiert(88) her name from the sharpth(89) of her eyes.

“The crossbow competitions use a similar target scoert the same way as the longbow, again with separate competitions for each farth with ten quarrels at each of the same farths as the longbow competitions. There are fewer crossbow competitors, and most of them are huntsmen who specialise in hunting large game especially mammoth. Currently successful competitors include Waxwing, she’s a mammoth hunter, and Nightjar, who is a crossbow maker rather than a hunter. May hap making his own bows gives him an edge.

“There are three spear competitions over fourty,(90) twenty and ten strides. Each competitor throws five spears at a boar shaept(91) target dividet(92) into three areas, head for three points, heart for two points, body for one point. Jackdaw of the huntsmen is currently the best, he’s a specialist gris(93) hunter.

“The knife throwing competitors have five throws each at a similar target to that uest by the spear throwers, the knife must remain in the target to score, and there are two competitions over ten and five strides. My man, Leech, is a good as any and better than most over both distances, and it makes no difference to him if it’s a target or an angry attacking feline he’s throwing at,” Gale laught and continued, “and no doubt it’ll make no difference to him if it’s a rapist either.”

“The sling competition is over fifty, twenty and ten strides. Each competitor slings at each distance in every round. The targets are small pottery vessels. Competitors are eliminatet(94) at the end of each round. Only the best remain to compete in the next round. As the official in charge considers fitting the targets are reducet(95) in size.

“I’m not as knowledgable regards the trebuchet because most of the teams’ members are ingeniators(96) rather than huntsmen. There are a number of teams with members who are not ingeniators, and there is one team compriest(97) solely of chamberers. Each team comprises twelve persons, and they have five shots at each of two hundred and fifty, two hundred, one hundred and fifty and one hundred strides. At the moment I believe there are fourteen teams actively competing, but there have been as many as a couple of dozen in the past. If you really wish to know more ask young Tom, Thomas the Master at arms’ grandson. He knows of the fortunes of teams in Gathers that happent(98) before he was birtht.(99) Anna says he teacht(100) himself to read from the records of trebuchet teams.

“Many of the competitors in the running are craft messengers. There are individual running competitions over one thousand, five hundred and one hundred strides. Both sexes compete in the same races and it is not always men who win. There is also a race for teams of eight where each competitor runs a thousand strides, again any combination of women and men is permissible. Xanders is probably the best over distance at the moment and to prove it three years over she challengt(101) the teams, running all eight thousand strides herself, and ran them all into the ground beating all by a considerable margin.

“The jumping competitions are of highth(102) and longth,(103) and both sexes compete together, but I know little of either.

“The ropepull competition is for teams of eight. Each team must have four women and four men. The idea of mixt teams is of antiquity, and it is suppoest to encourage inter-sex coöperation, though none is quite sure why that should be necessary. The competitors tend to be young, and I suspect what ever its origins it has become an enjoyable way for young women and men to spend time together. That’s all I can tell you. I wasn’t aware I knoewn(104) so much. I need to spend more time tracking.” Gale laught as she concluded.

Axel drank some leaf and asked, “The trebuchet teams would have to calculate how to adjust the trebuchet wouldn’t they? Who does that?”

Gale looked at Axel in surprise, “Yes, handcarts of paper are uest to calculate how to drop a huge boulder on a target little bigger than itself, and it works but I’ve no idea why. How doet you know?”

“It’s what I do, calculations that is. Whom could I talk to about them?”

“If you’re serious I’d suggest Polecat, he’s one of Milligan’s managers and a trebuchet team leader. He does their calculations, but I warn you you’d better set aside an afternoon. Those folk take it very seriously.” The conversation having exhausted itself Axel thanked Gale for the information and she left explaining she had some records to deal with.”

Timothy and Axel spent the rest of the afternoon looking at what the stalls were selling, sampled three leaf blends and filled in the score sheets before joining an impromptu dance when some young musicians practiest(105) dance music. Nectar, Waverley and their friends had joined the dancers, and when the musicians finished it was time to go. It was becoming cool, and they were hungry. The four of them had enjoyed themselfs at the Gather as much for enjoying it as a family as for the entertainments and other diversions including the novel, at least to Axel and the children, confectionery. The children had maekt arrangements to meet their new friends in the Greathall nextday(106) forenoon, and the four of them went home after having dissipated the afternoon at the Gather just enjoying themselves all feeling much better regarding their future.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004410

THREE GENERATIONS

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY TARRAGON (45) AND EDRYDD (56) LOUISE (22) AND TURNSTONE (20) JANE(3) MASE (6)

1st of Chent Day 4

An early middle aegt woman came on to the platform, she was slim with aquiline features and short mid-brunette hair. She walked to the front of the platform to address the crowd, and after nodding to Beauty she said, “I am Tarragon. I am fourty-five,(107) and I loes my man to the fevers last year. I am a member of a large poultry raising clan. I have reart(108) a family, but none of my six stayt(109) in the clan’s craft. I wish a man, but I wish one who will take part in the clan’s activities, share my crafting and our lifes.(110) I also wish to adopt young men or women interestet in the clan’s craft, and any man I take to husband must accept that too. I can still have children, and I should be willing to so do, but it is not a priority for me.”

Beauty the Master at arms representative stepped forward, and she said the ritual words, “You have hearet the words of Tarragon Mistress poultry crafter. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

After a few minutes a lightly built, strong looking, bald man of late fifties in appearance was seen to ascend the platform. He confidently went to the front of the platform, and addresst both Tarragon and the crowd. “My name is Edrydd, I am fifty-six. If my age is a problem to you please say so now, Mistress Tarragon, and I need not waste any more of any one’s time.”

“Your age is not a problem to me, please continue, Master Edrydd.”

Edrydd nodded to her and continued, “I am an incomer, and I was recently made redundant from a heavy engineering works. That is, I was told I was no longer needed in a smithy specialising in large forgings. I had worked there all my life from the age of fifteen. I like the idea of working with poultry. I have kept a domesticated variety of dove called pigeons. I should like to try to domesticate the doves I have seen here as a source of meat. It has been done for centuries where I come from. I was reared from a baby in an orphanage, a place where children nobody wants are given a bed and are fed, but there was little care or nurture and even less love there.” He didn’t sound bitter, but he did sound sorrowful. The crowd was so appalled there could be such a thing as children none wished the intake of breath was audible. “It has taken me a long time to come to terms with my upbringing, and as a consequence I have never married. Castle has provided me with a new beginning. I should like a wife and a family of any sort. If you would be prepared to have children, Mistress Tarragon, I should like that, it would make me very happy, but I like the idea of adopting young men or women too.”

Tarragon said to him and the crowd, “We’ve agreement Edrydd, and yes I am willing to have children with you. That would make me happy too.” She walked the few steps to him and put her arm through his before saying to the crowd, “But I still wish to adopt any interestet in our craft.”

There was a delay of a few minutes, and a couple in their early or middle twenties ascended the platform. The woman looked at Tarragon and Edrydd and spake to them and the crowd. “My name is Louise. I am a twenty-two year old incomer. I am married to Turnstone who is twenty. We should like the placement. Neither of us have parents or a craft, but we fear we may be too old for you.”

Tarragon and Edrydd looked at each other, and Tarragon was seen to squeeze Edrydd’s hand. He said “At twenty-two you seem young to us, and we should be glad to have you both.”

“I was a forester, but owing to serious injury, which I have only just recovert(111) from, I need a new craft. I shall never have the strongth(112) in my right arm I had,” Turnstone explained. “Louise and I have adoptet earlier this afternoon two children from the incomers, a three year old girl naemt(113) Jane and a six year old boy naemt Mase. Is your offer of adoption and craft still good?”

Tarragon smiled with delight and replied, “But of course. You were well come before, and are even more so with your children.”

Edrydd spake to say, “You have no idea how happy having a family makes me as I have never had any before.”

Tarragon kissed both Louise and Turnstone, and Louise kissed Edrydd who turned to Turnstone and hugged him. Tarragon turned to the crowd and said, “Our gratitude to the Folk for listening,” which was repeated by the others.

As they left the platform Turnstone telt them, “The children are somewhere at the Gather with my sister at the moment. May I suggest we all eat thiseve(114) at my sister’s? She and her man would love to meet you. She will have no idea of what has happent, and she’s still trying to find me a new craft.” This was agreed to by all, and they all decided they would attend the Quarterday dance after the eve meal as a family to celebrate.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004420

SHE MUST LIKE DOGS

AFTERNOON SECOND QUARTERDAY CYNTHIA (27) AND MERLE (32)

1st of Chent Day 4

From their facial similarities the group that walked to the front of the platform was without doubt a family. The man looked to be in his middle thirties, and the two girls with him looked not far away from womanhood though neither were tall. The girls were holding hands with a boy of four or five. The man was small but powerful looking with the appearance of someone who spent a lot of his time in the open air and had a full head of collar longth, light sandy coloured hair. He was accompanied by two rough- and long-coated, black and white dogs whose shoulders were up to his waist. “I am Merle. I am thirty-two, and I am here with my children: Warbler, Spearmint and Stonecrop.”

The children spake in turn, “I am Warbler and I am twelve.”

“I am Spearmint. I’m ten.”

Finally after an encouraging look from the girls the boy said somewhat indistinctly, “I’m Stonecrop. I’m four.”

“I loes my wife and three of our children to the fevers,” Merle resumed. “Life has been hard for all of us, but now it is time to look to the future. I wish a wife. The girls are nearly women, and they need and wish a mum, Stonecrop too.”

The elder of the girls, whose body had the beginnings of womanhood, telt the crowd “We’ve a lot of women kith who have helpt,(115) especially when Dad has to craft away from us and we can’t go with him, but we don’t wish to leave Dad and live else where, we wish a mum.” She blushed and continued, “I wish a mum to help me with becoming a woman.” She smiled at her father indicating she had finished.

Merle continued, “I have registert with the Master at arms to find a wife, but I haven’t had any responses so far. Probably because I spend a lot of my life at considerable whilth(116) from the Keep living in tents. Most of the year we move camp every few days as the sheep need new grazing. Though I am a member of a clan of sheepherds, I breed and train the dogs.” He petted the bitch at his side, who clearly was nursing a litter, and she licked his hand. “My dogs are the best. They’re good for working the sheep, and I have over five dozen that work together as guards at night, and they’re more than capable of managing a pack of wolfs. For me the dogs are my life, and any woman I take to wife must like dogs, and preferably like living on the move in tents for at least some of the year with myself and the children.” He looked at the children, checking to make sure he had said everything, and the girls nodded in agreement that he had missed naught.

Beauty the Master at arms representative stepped forward and said the ritual words, “You have hearet the words of Merle Master sheepherd and his children Warbler, Spearmint and Stonecrop. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

A tall but wiry rather than slender looking woman was seen to be making her way to the platform. She was a dark brunette of little figure, but she had a look of strongth and competence. She climbed the stairs to the platform and spake to Beauty, who advised her on the expected procedure. She walked to the front of the Platform and said, “My name is Cynthia. I am twenty-seven, and I was a solicitor. That’s an administrator who handles formal matters for others. That’s over now, and I don’t wish for that kind of life any longer. I was always interested in being outside, and I used to go on long distance, farth that is, treks for pleasure, often lasting days or even weeks, that’s tenners. I have now joined the huntsman’s office, and my craft will be the mapping of Castle. I like dogs, and your way of life would suit me and my craft, Merle. I have never married nor had children. I should like to be a mother to your three, but I want to have children myself. If you agree to having more children with me then I should like to marry you, if not I’m sorry, but I shall try someone else.”

The crowd was uest to this kind of negotiation on Quarterday platforms, and the Folk waited to see what Merle and his family’s response would be. Most of the Folk had no idea of how unusual it was for a recent incomer to negotiate in this way. Merle was spaeking with the children who were vigorously nodding their heads. They all walked to Cynthia, and Merle held his hand up to the murmuring crowd indicating he wished to spaek, “I should like more children, and mine are excitet(117) by the prospect too. If that’s your only condition all of us are willing to meet it. Do I have agreement and a wife for myself and a mother for our children?”

Cynthia shyly put her arm through his and said, “You do.” She hadn’t felt shy for years, and the emotion surprised her, but it was soon put to rest by Stonecrop holding her other hand.

Merle faced the crowd and said, “We are obligatet(118) to the Folk for listening.” This was echoed by the three children, and all five of them left the platform.

Those at the front of the crowd noted neither of the dogs moved till the boy said quietly, “Lilla, Ciro, come,” at which the dogs ignored the steps and jumped off the edge going straight to his heels one on either side of him.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction

2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec

Word Usage Key

1 Spaek, speak.
2 Pre-agreen, pre-agreed.
3 Entitelt, entitled.
4 Adoptet, adopted.
5 Spaech, speech.
6 Mongst, amongst.
7 Yourselfs, yourselves.
8 Agreän(s), spouse(s), the person(s) one has marital agreement with.
9 Attestet, attested.
10 Hearet, heard.
11 Agreen, agreed.
12 Aegt, aged.
13 Maekt, made.
14 Discusst, discussed.
15 Telt, told.
16 Registert, registered.
17 Interestet, interested.
18 Spaeking, speaking.
19 Sayt, said.
20 Unuest, unused.
21 Seamster, specifically a needle worker. The seamstresses encompasses may crafts.
22 Addresst, addressed.
23 Liekt, liked.
24 Turnt, turned.
25 Lærer. Adult apprentice, trainee.
26 Sheepherd(ess), shepherd(ess).
27 Married, married.
28 Raist, raised.
29 Thisday, today.
30 Suffert, suffered.
31 Loes, lost.
32 Concludet, concluded.
33 Goent, went.
34 Gainst, against.
35 Tryt, tried.
36 Oewt, owed.
37 Decidet, decided.
38 Givn, gave.
39 Twixt, betwixt.
40 Countet, counted.
41 Suppoest, supposed.
42 Lorimer, a maker of bits, spurs, rings and other small metal objects usually associated with horse tack.
43 Cutler, a maker of knifes and other cutting instruments and also other cutlery and surgical instruments.
44 Uest, used.
45 Taekt, took.
46 Apprenticet, apprenticed.
47 Adviest, advised.
48 Fluüff plural fluüff, pronounced flue + uff, (flu:ᴧf), a fermented cereal powder, different makers use different combinations of cereals but all include some rye, which when steamed rises into a dark coloured, porous, substantial cake which is then soaked in a fruit and honey syrup. Fluüff is selt as small cubes on fresh edible leaves of many kinds and is a gloriously sticky confection much loved by children from the age of one to one hundred and one. Fluüff are similar to Idlis which are maekt in Southern India from broken rice grains and pulses. Fluüff is usually only maekt for Quarterdays.
49 Considert, considered.
50 Graezt, grazed.
51 Perse, purple.
52 Competet, competed.
53 Bethinkt, thought.
54 Forkbirtht, Folk born.
55 Embarrasst, embarrassed
56 Complicatet, complicated.
57 Understandt, understood.
58 Doet, did, pronounced dote
59 Strongth, strength.
60 Heartet, hearted.
61 Declaert, declared.
62 Rehearst, rehearsed.
63 Remembert, remembered.
64 Sanno, a gambling game played with domino or mah jong like pieces. Sanno requires skill and psychological insight.
65 Playt, played.
66 Refert, referred.
67 Wiedth, a nominal finger’s width.
68 Adjudgt, adjudged.
69 Themselfs, themselves.
70 Entert, entered.
71 Patternt, patterned.
72 Intendet, fiancée.
73 Specialiest, specialised.
74 Blendet, blended.
75 Trebuchet, a type of siege engine.
76 Ropepull, tug of war.
77 Varyt, varied.
78 Forcet, forced.
79 Buyt, bought.
80 Goen, gone
81 Raept, raped.
82 Steamt, steamed.
83 Mixt, mixed.
84 Fullth, usually a specific capacity or volume. That jug has a fullth of half a gallon. Fillth is uest in a relative sense. That jug has a greater fillth than the blue one.
85 Stottie cake, bread that originated in north east England. It is a flat and round loaf, usually about twelve inches across up to two inches thick, with a dimple in the middle made by the baker’s fist. Characteristically stotties are heavy and doughy in texture. They are usually split and filled.
86 Farth(s) farness(es) or distance(s).
87 Stoert, stored.
88 Acquiert, acquired.
89 Sharpth, sharpness.
90 Fourty, forty.
91 Shaept, shaped.
92 Dividet, divided.
93 Gris, wild swine.
94 Eliminatet, eliminated.
95 Reducet, reduced.
96 Ingeniator, original form of engineer (civil).
97 Compriest, comprised.
98 Happenent, happened.
99 Birtht, born.
100 Teacht, taught.
101 Challengt, challenged.
102 Highth, height.
103 Longth, length.
104 Knoewn, knew.
105 Practiest, practised.
106 Nextday, tomorrow.
107 Fourty-five, forty-five.
108 Reart, reared.
109 Stayt, stayed.
110 Lifes, lives.
111 Recovert, recovered.
112 Strongth, strength.
113 Naemt, named.
114 Thiseve, this evening.
115 Helpt, helped.
116 Whilth, distance expressed as the time taken to cover it.
117 Excitet, excited.
118 Obligatet, obligated.

up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos