Second Life

Printer-friendly version

Second Life
A Short Story
By Maryanne Peters

I thought we were happy. I am not sure that any marriage was perfect, but I thought we were happy. I just could not understand why he would disappear and leave me and the boys behind.

It was the day after we returned from holidays together. For some reason he had not had a haircut for months and had grown what for him was a fairly substantial beard. He had said that he was going in to town to have a haircut and a proper shave before starting back at work the day after. He just never came back.

I was confused and called his father and several of his friends to ask after him, but I did not call the police until the following day. I had hoped that I would wake up in the morning with him beside me. I would scream at him for not telling me where he had been, but I would forgive him. But when he was not there I assumed the worst. He must have been involved in a car accident.

The police were understanding but largely dismissive. They asked about whether there were marital problems. They explained that it was not uncommon for husbands (and wives) to simply take off if there were stresses or pressures. In most cases they would come back, or at least reappear to terminate the relationship. But Jonathan and I had never had any real strain in our relationship. That explanation made no sense.

However the detective assigned did check the hospitals and were able to rule out an accident. At least not an accident anywhere near our hometown. The car was missing too, but it was the old Ford that he had bought for our oldest son. Non-descript and of no real value. He had left his prized BMW in the garage. If he was leaving us surely he would have taken his car.

It just added to the mystery.

The detective suggested that I check the house to see if anything else was missing. He had taken no clothes, toiletries or luggage. He only had his wallet. That was not the sign of a man leaving his family permanently.

Money problems was another possibility raised by the police. Was he in financial difficulty? The total opposite. He had recently paid off the mortgage. We owned the smaller property next door with a small mortgage, but that was rented out and servicing the debt. I had a freehold home and an income from next door. Plus Jonathan earned a good salary and was secure in that job, with a small percentage of the company he worked for. No real money problems.

Plus I worked part time as a teacher. Over this difficult time I was given leave but I had a job if I needed it, and fulltime work was a prospect. Our family could cope with financial difficulties if they were to arise. No explanation there.

I called his work and went around to visit the office. They explained that he had tidied up all his files before he had gone on holiday, and while they awaited his return, everything was operating smoothly in his absence. Did this mean he had planned to leave permanently? Again his staff agreed that he had taken no personal items from the office, including things he attached value to. Everything was still there.

I went to visit his father John. I had always thought of them as being close. We talked for hours trying to understand what could have been behind him walking away. The more we talked the more it seemed to us that he must have been abducted and perhaps murdered. It was not a happy thought, but why else would we have heard nothing. There seemed to be no explanation.

John offered to help with the boys where he could, but they were now 17 and 15 so fairly independent. Still, he was a help. I never really had too much time for him, but with Jonathan missing it was good to have somebody to talk to about parenting.

I became very angry. If Jonathan was alive then he was a prick for leaving us. If he was dead, then was still a prick for leaving us. I found myself swinging between anger and sadness. I threw something across the living room a couple of times, and had to clean it up. I cried myself to sleep more than a few times.

Somehow I knew that he was not dead. It was my mission to find out what had happened to him.

After a couple of weeks I decided that I would go through his bank statements and records. I was looking for something out of the ordinary but I could not find anything. What did strike me was that during our marriage Jonathan had made a lot more money than I had thought he had. His business was in property development, and in addition to his salary Jonathan had collected profit shares on some deals. But he seemed to have regularly borrowed money from a company Transamazon Mortgage and Loan. I recognized that this was the company that we still had a small debt to on our investment property.

I emailed Transamazon to obtain a statement. I received a reply to indicate that the debt was being directly paid out of rentals and would be paid off within about three years. Which is exactly what happened.

I will not say that those three years were easy, but once I had accepted the fact that Jonathan was gone, I was able to move on. I still had sort of “phantom sightings” where I thought I saw him in a passing car, or in the crowd at a game on TV, or even at the end of the aisle in the supermarket. The hardest thing was when my youngest son left for college, leaving me alone. I had a good circle of friends, Jonathan’s father called by, and I had a few dates with men, but I was still an abandoned wife.

It was not until I received the notification of repayment by Transamazon that the questions came up again. When I compared my notes and earlier statements I noticed that debt was acknowledged as fully paid when it was not. There was still a half payment due. When I looked at the statements a little more closely I could see that they were not produced by a system but had been composed to look like they had. They were supposed to be alike but they were not. I started to wonder about this company.

I decided to check the details of this company. It turned out that it was very small with a single shareholder and officer, Delia Ann Stone, of Selbourne, Oregon. The company had been in existence for over 10 years, from the day before the first business with Jonathan. Whether there was a debt or not I could not tell, but Jonathan had being paying money to Transamazon since then, until his disappearance.

Was Delia Ann Stone the other woman? I had to find out.

I was able to check records for Selbourne but I could not find anything for Delia Ann Stone. But quite by chance when searching online I found a Delia Ann Fielding, apparently married to one James Fielding only a year before. James Fielding – are you my missing husband?

It had been such a long time that the police had basically forgotten about me. I discussed the possibility with my father in law John, and with a couple of friends. I had an idea that I could drive over the state line and seek out James Fielding, just to be sure.

I took Friday off and drove most of the day to get to Selborne. I had packed for overnight, but I decided to immediately drive to the home address I had obtained. There was a car in the drive. I was parked outside considering knocking on the door when a woman came out of the house and got into the car. She was about my age I suppose, quite tall, with longish blonde hair and nice legs beneath a fairly short skirt and expensive high heeled shoes. Was this the other woman? She was wearing fashionable sunglasses so I did not get a good look. I decided to follow her.

She pulled into a parked outside a hair salon, but only went in for a short period. She then drove around the corner to the supermarket and pushed a shopping trolley in.

I felt I needed to check that I had the right person, so I went into the hair salon. I said “Excuse me, but was that Delia Stone I just saw come in here?”

The woman at the counter chattily replied: “Yes. Delia Fielding now. She just made an appointment for tonight. The Charity Ball. She needs to be finished by 7:00. The Fieldings wouldn’t miss it. It’s a real occasion you know …”. It seemed the woman would chat on for hours, so I took my leave.

So I resolved that at 7:00 pm I would confront James Feilding. I had time to check in to a hotel and collect my thoughts. I was fully expecting to confront my husband that very evening.

As it happened she must have been out of the salon well before 7:00 as by the time I got on the doorstep the door was opening for the well-dressed couple to leave. The man was in a smart tuxedo with a bright blue bowtie. He was older and taller than my husband. He was not my husband.

“James Fielding?” I asked.

“Yes?” he said. He had a friendly face and bright blue eyes. It was as if I knew that I would like him. Or maybe it was just because it was not the man I was ready to scream at. I was momentarily confused and embarrassed.

Next to him stood his wife, not the hussy who had stolen my husband, just a very attractive woman with her copious hair now styled in an ornate updo. My eyes passed to her, perhaps with an apologetic look. But then I looked at her eyes – perfectly made up, big and green, and … moist with the beginning of a tear. And I realised.

“Jonathan?”

She turned to her husband, and said: “Darling, would you please wait in the car. I need to talk to this lady in private for a moment.”

Her voice was a perfect match for her appearance. Totally feminine. So why did she have my husband’s eyes?

“Please, James,” she said.

He went to the car.

“This cannot be true,” I said. “Please tell me this is not you.”

I looked at her from the ground up. She was wearing a long ball dress with a slit showing her perfect legs and 4” heels. The bodice was low cut showing a substantial bosom. Her skin was flawless and her complexion perfect. The face was recognizable but not male. She was beautiful. There was a jewelled pendant around her smooth neck and a jewelled pin in her sumptuous hairdo.

“I can explain, but not now,” she said. “Where are you staying? Can I come to you?”

“Not now? Not now?!” I was angry. “You owe me an explanation. I want it now.”

“Where are you staying? I will come to you tonight. I promise. You are entitled to an explanation, and you’ll get it. You have to let this sink in a little first. Please. I am not entitled to any favors, but I am pleading for one now.” The voice was high, feminine. It just added to the unreality of the moment. It did not sound like his voice, but it sounded like him.

I have no idea why I did not thrash it out on that doorstep, but I found myself saying “Quality Inn Room 206”. And then she was gone, holding her hem of the ground with one hand, clutching an evening bag in the other, mincing down to the car where her man awaited with the door open for her.

I think it was just the shock of it all. How do you deal with a situation like that? My husband Jonathan was a real man. Who was this person? The car pulled away and she did not even look at me.

I was fuming. If I had held a gun I would have emptied it into the car pulling away.

Part of me was furious that I had been abandoned, although I had always carried this thought. The only other explanation for the total disappearance of my husband was that he was dead and that his body had washed away somehow. But I never really believed that. As I said before, I felt that he was alive, somewhere. That he had left us – all of us. So the feeling of abandonment was nothing new. But it seemed worse now that he was found.

Then there was the house I was standing outside. Nice house. Better than mine, although I could hardly complain. But his life was better than mine. He had a partner who was sharing his life. I didn’t.

Finally, had he spent our whole married life lying to me? Was he transsexual? How could I not know? How could he deceive me into marrying him? How could he pretend to be the man I thought he was? His whole life with me was a lie, and a vicious one.

By the time I got back to my motel I had decided that I would call his father John. I told him: “I have found him. He is living here in Selborne. He is living as a woman.”

“That is crazy,” said John. “Somebody is playing a trick on you. A cruel trick. My son is not a fag. You know him. He is as much a man as I am. I would know. I cannot believe it. It must be a mistake.”

The more he talked the more I started to doubt things. I did seem unbelievable. So who was this woman? Would she come to see me? Just in case I decided to change into a dress and tidy myself up. I wanted to send a message that I was pretty and desirable, and that I could not simply be thrown onto the scrap heap.

She did come. It was just after 11:00 that evening, so I had been waiting a while. She called me down to the bar, probably because we were less likely to cause a scene in public. But we sat in an alcove area. She had not changed. She was still in the ball gown. Her legs were crossed and exposed by the slit in her dress. The sheer black hose showed them off. I thought my legs were good, but they were not a good as these. After some hours at a function the makeup and hair were still perfect. She was stunning.

The waiter came over as soon as I sat down, before I could even speak. She ordered Campari. I said: “I thought you drank beer and bourbon chasers?”

“That was before,” she said. I had never tried Campari but I ordered one too.

“So Jonathan…” I began, looking at her for acknowledgment. It was him all right. “I have only one question – why?”

“The answer is right in front of you,” she said. “This is me. I lived a lie for forty years. I came to a point where I needed to be the person I am.”

“But why couldn’t you tell us,” I pleaded, as if I actually meant it. I didn’t want to know now. How could I have coped if he had told me earlier?

“It is simple. I didn’t want you to know. I didn’t want my father to know. I didn’t want the boys to know, or my friends. I lived in a male world.”

I just listened. I wanted him to do the talking. It was his explanation.

He continued: “I am sorry. I just didn’t have the strength to go through all of that. I might have been brave as a man, but the real me is a bit of a coward. I just ran away. I suppose that I hoped that all of you would remember me as the man, the son, the father. Not some transgender freak.” And he added: :”Not that trans-people are freaks, but I am sure that my father and both the boys think they are. I know what their attitudes are. So do you, I think.”

“Don’t you realise how much you hurt us?” My tears were starting.

“I would have hurt you just as much as if I had killed myself. And that seemed to be my only option. You have no idea what I went through.” She was starting to cry too.

I hardened myself, and I spat out the words: “Maybe you should have killed yourself. Maybe you should have spared us this.” My hand swept over her disdainfully, but she still looked gorgeous.

“I should be dead to you,” she said, pulling herself together too. “Go home and tell them that I am dead. Have a funeral if you like. Jonathan deserves one. I think I was a good man when I was one. I had lots of friends and I did a lot of good things. I am proud of that. I am not proud that I ran away, but I still think it was the right thing.”

“What about the boys? What about your sons?”

“They don’t want a trans-father. They do not need me as I am. They need you. Their grandfather is a man for them to look up to. A real man.”

“They love you,” I whimpered.

“And I love them. I watch them, you know. I follow them on Facebook”, she said, wistfully. “I want them to do well. I will never stop loving them and caring what they do. I think that keeping my circumstances from them is a sign of my love for them. They do not need to carry the stigma of having a father living as a woman, and a wife to another man.”

Those words stabbed me. He was a wife. He had a husband.

He continued: “You might not understand this, but I love you to. I want you to be happy. As happy as I am now. To be happy you need to be with a man who is a man. That man is not me.”

“So you love me?” I sneered. “What about your husband, if that is what he is?”

“I am not a bigamist. In fact James’ wife is still alive. She is confined to a home as she has early onset Alzheimer’s. She has been, since before we met. We live together as husband and wife. I changed my name to his last month.”

“How convenient”, I sneered. “And you share a bed I assume. Have you still got a penis?”

“No.” That was it. We sat in silence for a moment looking at one another, before she added: “I have a fully functional vagina. James and I have a wonderful sex life. It is what I always wanted. I hope that I gave you pleasure while we were together, but all I have ever wanted was to be made love to by a man, as a woman.”

I was shocked. It was, as they say, too much information. I looked at her crossed shapely thighs and wondered about what exactly was between them. Clearly not the penis that had given me so many moments of joy, and fathered my children. I started to cry. She moved around the booth and put a hand on my shoulder and then pulled me towards her. She smelt of expensive perfume and hairspray.

The drinks arrived. She reached for her evening bag, but the waiter said: “No charge, the two gentleman at the bar wanted to pay for you lovely ladies.” He motioned to the bar where two good looking me lifted their glasses and smiled.

She made a point of ignoring them. It seemed as if she was used to getting the attention of men.

She was still close to me and she took my hand. It felt hers was soft and when I looked at it I saw that she had long perfectly manicured nails. My nails were tidy and painted, but more practical. Again she seemed more of a woman than I was.

“If us meeting means that you can now move on, then I am happy we did,” she said. “You need somebody in your life. I want that for you. Forget about me. I have burned my bridges. I did it for me, but the way I did it, I did that for you. It may be hard for you to accept but I am sure you will come to know that I am right.”

She lifted her glass delicately, and took a sip.

“I called your father and told him I had found you,” I said.

“What did he say?”

“He didn’t believe it was you.”

“I suggest you keep it like that. I spent my whole childhood trying to impress him. Trying to be him. A man’s man – that’s him. If he were to see me now he would be crushed. Is that what you want?”

“Is that why you married me? To impress your father?” I asked, bitterly.

“I fell in love with you. It is possible, you know. I don’t think love is about gender. Maybe I thought that you could fix my problem. For quite a while it seemed like you could. But I was wrong. It was my mistake and I am sorry for it. You cannot change your very core. It cannot be done. But I tried to be a good husband and father for as Iong as I could be. Was I?

I nodded as I wiped my eyes and nose with a hanky. It was true after all. He had been.

A man stood over us. The two men at the bar had come over. He said: “We were wondering if we could join you ladies.”

“We’re married,” she said. She held up her hand and pointed to a wedding ring. Not my husband’s wedding ring (he never wore one) it was hers. “She and I are married. To one another. Does that answer your question?”

I held up my hand too, so they could see my wedding ring. We were married, but not as they thought. They backed off sheepishly.

She smiled at me. I smiled back. The look on their faces was reason for some levity. But dispelling that, I asked seriously: “Do you want a divorce? If you do you can have it.”

“A dead person needs no divorce. But yes, if you want Jonathan to sign some papers I will sign them. Whatever I can do for you, I want to do”.

“So the mortgage. Transamazon is you?”

“Yes. I left you the interest in the property firm. Ben will hold it for you and deliver it in time. It is in the partnership arrangement so no death certificate is required after two years absence. I took some of the funds – less than 30% - into Transamazon. Transgender Amazon woman. That’s me. Basically I gave you everything. I have started from scratch. Fortunately I have some skills and, well, James has some money. I am rebuilding. Our new company is doing some modest development locally. We should make some profits. So, if you are not happy with what you have then you only need to tell me.”

“No. You left me with the things that matter. My home and my boys. The only thing you took from me was my husband. I don’t think I can forgive you for that.”

“I don’t expect forgiveness. Or I am not asking for it. But as for Jonathan, you never really had him,” she said. Draining the glass she had been sipping from. “He was a fabrication, a pretence. It could never last. I am sorry.” She paused. “I really must be going.”

She reached into her bag and pulled out her business card. There was a picture of her on it. It read “Delia Ann Fielding, Property Development Consultant”. There was a floral background and the card seemed slightly scented. Ridiculously feminine.

“I am not sure that we can be friends, but you should know that I care for you more than any other woman, and I am not expecting that to change. Send me the divorce papers, and maybe later on, if you feel like it, send me news about my father and the boys. I am sorry for what you have been through, but nothing that has happened today has convinced me that I did the wrong thing. If you think I’m right - keep my secret.”

She walked out of the bar. Her wonderfully proportioned rear end was beautifully displayed by the ball dress.

The two men appeared again. The same one spoke: “We’ve been talking about it, if you are willing we are still pretty keen on spending the rest of the evening with you and your … your wife.”

“I am sorry, but she has already left. And that was not my wife. That was my husband.”

The End

© Maryanne Peters 2018

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think she was wrong

maybe her wife would not have handled the transition, maybe her sons would reject her. but maybe they would have come around, and see the improvement being a woman brought to her. She denied them that chance.

DogSig.png

Any choice

erin's picture

Any choice one makes closes off futures not only for yourself but for others. If she had taken the path of a full reveal, she would have been closing off the path of not having to know. She would have denied them the chance to live without having to deal with an uncomfortable truth.

She was the one who had to make that choice, the one with the responsibility to make it and the one with the most knowledge of how to make it. There was no way to know how things would have turned out, but then, there never is.

Excellent story.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I agree, mostly.

She did her very best to see that her former wife and her kids were taken care of. But she dealt them a severe emotional blow. She ghosted on them, to use a more modern term.

If she really couldn't face them, then maybe a letter? I dunno. Letting her father know would have hurt him badly. Expecting her kids and her former wife to keep a secret would have put a heavy burden on them.

I really can't think of any decent, or even half way decent answer. On the surface, ghosting seems to be the very worst thing he could have done; but what would have been the actual results of coming clean?

None of the above detracts from the masterful storytelling. Actually, the fact that we feel so strongly about the story says a lot about it.

The Least Painful Way, Perhaps?

I understand this story. It was painful to read.

Belatedly, 16 years later, I see that I had what Americans call extremely severe PTSD. I do not know what it is called in the UK? When I was first diagnosed, they did not know what PTSD was, and some "forward thinking", man hater Counsellors thought I had Gender Identity Dysphoria. By counselling and the liberal use of heavy Psych. Drugs they got me to believe that I was a woman inside. So, not knowing what the hell I was up to, I took lots of Estrogen and had surgery. As it turned out my body LOVED Estrogen, but the surgery I had in Thailand was a right muck up, perhaps even criminal? I have to see a surgeon to keep it open because I do not use it, and never plan to.

Today, I've been living as a woman so long that passing as a man is not possible, I've tried. My breasts are naturally too large to hide. So, at age 73 I plan to let the clock run out as I am.

This all hurt the family terribly but suicide would only hurt them more, so I float in a fog of indecision. I had pretended to be so much of a man, and done things that would make most men piss themselves. In reality, I should perhaps have been a Librarian, not Topped Trees. Perhaps worked as a Nurse and not ridden Motorcycles, and so on. Truthfully, all the macho activities were to shore up a male image of myself that seemed was phony.

I got the PTSD from extreme abuse and molestation as a child, 14 years of it. I eventually tried to kill the bastard with a hatchet, but he took it from me. He stopped doing things to me.

I can't fault the tracing of the psychological path that he took.

Much peace

Gwen

Very good story

because it opens up an interesting discussion. I believe her actions were cowardly and selfish. She made financial plans for her family but no effort to treat them ethically on any other level. This plan saved her the pain of anticipated rejection but left her wife married to a missing person with no closure of the relationship at all and no way to start over. Her sons didn't reject her; they just a have a father who cares so little for them that he just disappeared. Even if she was right and they all rejected her it was for her benefit that she was leaving and she had no right to push the emotional cost onto her family. It's even possible that over time she might have found some acceptance that she didn't anticipate. At the very least a divorce and "good-by so I can be myself" would let them begin to heal and get on with their lives.

Another good one.

We may not all agree with your protagonist's choices. But one use of fiction is to explore alternate paths and different worlds. You have done that well, and as I have come to expect from you, done it in a well-written ad entertaining manner.

Hugs, Cheryl

I Considered It Too

joannebarbarella's picture

In the end I was too much of a coward to go through with it. It doesn't matter what you do, someone will get hurt. By staying the only person hurt was me. My family never knew my pain and still don't.

Once again you have shown your skill in storytelling.

I disagree with some of the other comments I have read. Your story should not be criticised for what it does not have, your ending is yours, and is quite fit to stand on its own. As a starting point for discussion on alternatives for handling a tricky situation, it is fine; but I stick with my earlier comments.
Best wishes, once again
Dave

No Fury like a woman scorned

BarbieLee's picture

Dealt a devastating blow, she searched until she found the cause, a target for her fury.
It's not your life, it was my life that mattered. I don't care if you found yourself and happiness. We were a family, you owed us, me, the boys, a father, a husband, a provider.
Sometimes in the heat of the moment, in the rage of blind fury, it is easy to forget how much the "other person" gave of themselves. In fact for many years. They weren't willing to give their complete life so the others could live the comfortable life as the perfect family.
Maryanne put so much real life emotions and reality into this story it's impossible for me to not believe she knows those who have gone through the same thing. Maybe many people she blended into a single family to tell the story?
Hugs Maryanne, great story telling with more than a bite.
always
Barb
Life tests us every life cycle as we pass through another one. You don't need to believe. I believe strong enough for everyone.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Left to the readers - open to discussion - as it should be.

So many issues brought up here, all of them with validity if you look at it with open eyes and mind. Note that the author (the ultra-talented MP) has avoided preaching to us in this piece; she instead takes the pot roast out of the oven, burnt carrots / charred meat and all, and puts it on the table for our consideration. And look at the discussion it has produced! Therefore this is so much better than a tale with a totally evil disgusting villain and longsuffering yet righteous (and ultimately victorious) heroine.

My thoughts: (1) I realize the need to transition in trans women who are living a lie. I am conflicted, though, when MORE lies have to be told to effect the change; those lies will do damage to others. The lie here is that the disappeared husband and father "died" physically. Now she is living out her dream, but the hurt given will likely extend to a depth and breadth that she had not counted on. In my experience, hurt doled out by confessing the truth - no matter how ugly or horrible it seems - is less damaging and more heal-able than hurt produced by lies and deception. (Non-TG example: If you've fallen in love with someone other than your spouse and want a divorce, then confess it and deal with it - don't just continue to have the clandestine affair for more months and years.)
(2) I recall a news story years ago about a man with a productive job, a homemaker wife, and 2 kids. He realized he was actually intersexed (had XXY chromosome type); so he began to transition, seeing a doctor and starting surgical procedures and hormones - all while keeping his wife and young kids in the dark about it. He spent more time away on "business trips", and liquidated their 401K to pay for SRS. In my view, his 401K was not just his, but his wife's also. She cared for their young sons, and therefore saved them lots of $$ in child care, not to mentions home care, meals, etc. So what the intersex man did amounts to, IMO, deception and theft.

When we enter into a marriage, it is a contract that's supposed to be for life. Now: for most people these days, it turns out not to be; the contract can be broken, but not without consequences - social, emotional, and (oh let me tell you) financial. In MP's story, the protagonist arranged for the financial consequences for the wife, but the emotional consequences were severe and dominated the lives of the ex-spouse and kids for years; the effects will be felt for a lifetime. Though this would have been true if the trans protagonist had confessed instead of bolting, I believe that healing could have started in at least some of them. Like Mr. Rogers says, anything that can be talked about can be eventually dealt with; if it can be mentioned, it can be managed.

Okay. Done with the soap box. Putting my helmet and flak jacket on and jumping back into my foxhole.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

The Writer Mutters

It is fiction, but of course the seeds of it are in my experience.
My father was a masculine man and I adored him. He died without knowing about my issues, and I am glad that he never knew. I would like any son of mine to be more like him than me, for many reasons.
Running away is an option better than suicide for everyone concerned, but here I have made sure that Jonathan takes every step to see his family looked after. Perhaps that is why when I first published this, reviewers were critical of her rather than Delia.
Facing up to the people we love might well be the hardest thing that people like me (or us) ever have to do. You can accuse Delia of lack of courage, but can you understand her?
Maryanne Peters

Oh, absolutely I can - and do.

Re-reading my post, I'm afraid I was being judgemental; I was trying not to be, but yet I was anyway. I'm sorry. Further introspection on the above has disclosed that my response was indeed colored by my past experience and hurts. I am definitely guilty of character assassination regarding Delia (or maybe character manslaughter? because I wasn't willfully trying to do so. Still, the deed was done.)

I see that I was implying that there was a lack of courage. Easy to point a finger when I'm not the one in the frying pan (to mix a metaphor). My courage well has run dry on way too many occasions for me to do that. I'm afraid my hypocrisy was in full view, then.

There's a part of me who wants us all to get along, believing in a Pollyanna-ish haze that if we're all honest and forthright that everything will work out for the best. Yet my life experience shows that too often that is not the case. I indeed have issues and secrets that i will never share with anyone else - because when I have been open about them, the horror it produced on the trusted (formerly trusted) listener(s) showed that silence would have been far better.

So in retrospect, I withdraw my moralizing; thanks for calling me out on it. I remain your fan and admirer even more so - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Three choices for a two sided coin

Jamie Lee's picture

This is a very thought provoking, and well written, story. And brings up subjects which invokes different reactions.

Johnathan felt he had two choices, leaving to be a true self or suicide. He rejected staying and transitioning because of being a coward, and being rejected by his wife, sons and his father. Based on what he knew of their attitudes about the subject, he felt his transition would have been rejected. And maybe that's true, just as it might have been untrue. But he'll never know as he took the "leave" option.

Now that the wife knows the truth what will she do with the information? Will she continue the deception by lying to her sons and FIL or tell all the whole truth, knowing how they may react? She was angry because she felt deceived, and unless she comes clean, they may be also if they discover she knew and failed to tell them the truth.

Was Johnathan wrong in leaving without saying a word why? It depends on which point of a circle you stand. It depends if any of those points include personal experiences. It's easy to have a knee jerk reaction and say yes, he was wrong for leaving without a word. Because he hurt his wife, sons, and father. But how would they have felt when they found him hanging from something somewhere, or inside a running car, or with slashed wrists. Again, they would have been hurt but not understand the "why" of the action. At least now the wife has the "why" answer.

There is an aspect that still needs questioned. Johnathan said he didn't have the courage to tell his wife, sons, and father about the life he needed to live. But yet he went through transition and lives with a man and lives as a woman. Why isn't she afraid of the truth coming out where she now lives? Is it because she has no family, or friends she knows, there so no one would question him becoming her? She says she's a coward yet lives as a woman?

Delia said she still loved her wife and her sons. And yet Delia did something that many would say is selfish, only benefit her and hurt others. How can this be love when the actions hurt others? But had the actions not have taken place and finality was enacted, that would have hurt others too.

Talking would have been a good choice for Johnathan to make, but it was rejected out of fear. Had he told his wife the truth maybe she would have rejected him and maybe not, but it might not have been any worse than it is now. Delia's wife knows the truth and where Delia lives, and has it within her power to really hurt Delia if she chooses. Will she choose that route, and tell her sons and FIL?

Those two guys in the hotel bar are really thick. HELLO, brush off, get lost! We're not interested in you two guys! And they tried twice! Gads, did those two guys needed something written down or someone to explain things to them?

Great story and well worth the time to read!

Others have feelings too.

Hi Jamie Lee,

Hi Jamie Lee,
I am not saying that I fully understand the people that I write about, because who can say that they fully understand anybody, but here are some thoughts on what I think drives Jonathan/Delia:
She calls herself a coward because she is afraid what effect her transition will have on her sons, who clearly are like their grandfather.
Her feelings must be real because who would consider suicide in that situation? Can we judge her without know the depth of her despair?
Jonathan did not just walk away. He made a huge effort to provide for them and to disappear in a manner that looked like death.
I don't believe that you can question his/her ongoing love. She can observe them through social media as she says.
Will the wife go back and disclose his new life? Or will Delia herself step out and disclose it to the boys at some time in the future?
I like short stories to end with a question mark. Don't you?
Maryanne Peters

Questioning love

Jamie Lee's picture

Maryanne, it's true Johnathan made sure his wife and sons were financially stable but he did just walked away without so much of a by your leave. And he did that because he said he was a coward and afraid to reveal his reason.

Another reason he didn't talk to his wife was fear of being rejected outright. His wife was angry when she discovered the truth, but it also seemed she still loved him/her.

Johnathan was reaching a point where had he not left and transitioned his body would have been found instead, which would have raised the "why" question since he still couldn't find it within himself to explain.

Jonathan's love for his family can be questioned because he put his needs above that of his family. There are different levels of love people have. But few ever show the highest level of love called self sacrifice. This is a love where a person puts their own wants and needs in the background and everything they do is for others. Had Johnathan shown this love for his family he never would have left to fulfill his need. But again, had he done this there may have come a time when his unfulfilled need may have overcome him and he would have taken off or killed himself. Or driven him completely insane.

No matter what Johnathan did to meet, or ignore, his need others were going to be hurt and angry. He faced instant rejection had he told his family and father, he hurt his wife by just leaving, and if he took his life they'd still be hurt.

The ending did leave the reader wondering about two things. The easy one deals with will she or won't she tell about what she discovered. Johnathan, now Delia, cut off both of her families. Her father was kept in the dark just as much as his/her wife and sons were.

The harder question is after she got over her anger, did his wife still love him? Given everything she did to find Johnathan/Delia, yes she still loved him. Now the question never brought up in the story. If she still loves him, now her, will she accept Delia? Delia has challenged the wife's beliefs and attitude. Will her love conquer her beliefs and attitude or will she do as Delia said and hold a funeral?

Others have feelings too.

Delia was in the right

Her ex-wife showed her true colors, and said "Maybe you should have killed yourself." She made the right choice. Her family are a bunch of bigots, her ex-wife doesn't care about her safety. She told potentially violent men that she was trans. She could have gotten her killed but she doesn't care. Fudge her ex-wife. She gave them every comfort, she gave them shelter, and money despite her leaving. But still, her ex-wife is so selfish she continues to demand more of her. She can go suck on a rotten slime cone

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D