Castle The Series - 0077 Zoë & Torrent, Waggoner Logistics

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00007010

I’LL RAISE THE ENTIRE HOUSE

FIRST THING IN THE FORENOON ZOË (14) AND TORRENT (28)

4th of Chent Day 7

[For the convenience of the reader there are some approximate time references in brackets]

Torrent and Chough left to check their animals and came back after twenty minutes or so as firstlight was creeping up towards the horizon. [0125] Stonechat was on her own in the main living space banking the fire. “Clematis has taken the children and is putting the little ones to bed,” she telt Chough, as she replaced the guard to prevent sparks setting aught alight.

Chough said, “Goodnight, Mum, Torrent,” and went to the family bedchambers which were at the rear of the house.

“The others have goen to bed, and Aaron dropt your bag on your bed earlier, Torrent. I’ll be up at six and I’ll see you then. Goodnight.” After bidding him goodnight Stonechat left Torrent alone.

He sighed and turned towards the door, freshly cut and as yet unfinished, which gave access to the new wing. He had shut the door behind him and was going to enter his chamber when Zoë came out of the bath chamber behind him. She smiled at him and instead of going towards her chamber indicated she was going back into the living space. She did so and he followed her into the now empty chamber and walked back to the fire. He turned and said, “It’s been a long journey.”

Zoë sat down on a settle, and indicating he should sit next to her said, “You have no idea how far I’ve travelled in the last few days.” In her pre-incursion life she had only ever eaten microwaved ready-meals and fast-foods and she had been impressed by the meal prepared for them that eve and more so by it being regarded as a good meal, but by no means an exceptional one. That ordinary Folk like Torrent sang for their own entertainment was a wonder to her. That children sang in the same way was unheard of in her old life. The children’s attitudes to their tasks had been a revelation to her which had convinced her Clematis’ children were growing up in a much better world than the one she had grown up in, and she wished her daughter, and her future children, to enjoy to the full the benefits of growing up on Castle. All the children she had ever known, herself included, had resented being asked to help do anything, however trivial, and expected unrealistic payment for doing it. That she had thought beyond this pregnancy to future pregnancies in a positive way had maekt her realise in some ways she had already adjusted to Castle, and she was glad it was so.

Torrent who knew the women were incomers who had initially been reluctant to join the Folk, but little else of them thought she was referring to her incursion. “Zoë, do you have a man?” he asked, knowing he was being somewhat precipitate, but unable to stop himself.

“No, I haven’t met many Folk in the six days I’ve been here,” Zoë replied. “Are you married, Torrent?” she asked, not as desperate as he to find out, but not much less so.

“No, it’s a bit difficult always being on the move. Most women wish their man at home more than I could manage,” he replied. They both felt relieved by the other’s answers, but were not quite sure what to say next. After a long pause Torrent said, “Aaron has telt me if I wish to stay here to become better acquaintt with you I am well come. I hadn’t realiest how obvious I must have been. Am I well come to you to so do?” Zoë had been thinking hard since leaving the camp. She had been thinking of Torrent, who was a man clearly held in high regard, and she had also been trying to understand, and come to terms with, this new life. She had come to the conclusion she wished a husband, and wished to be respected as both a good mum and a good wife.

She held her hand out to him, and replied, “Yes, very welcome,” for she also realised she would like Torrent to be that husband. He was attractive, highly thought of and he desired her. She also wished him to think highly of her. As he taekt her hand and kissed it she almost melted inside, and her face promptly turned to his which he just as promptly kissed.

He quietly said to her, “I don’t wish you to believe I do this with every pretty, unintendet woman I meet, and I don’t wish you to believe I like you just because you are pregnant.” She taekt a little time to work that out, and what they had all been telt of their pregnancy making them even more desirable as a wife came back to her.

In spite of feeling she just wished to give herself to Torrent and allow events to take over Zoë was maekt of stronger stuff than that. Worried he would think badly of her if she threw herself at him his uncertainties gave her the reassurance she needed to continue. “And I don’t want you to think I invite every good-looking, single man I meet to my bed.”

He shook his head and said somewhat indignantly, “Of course not,” and then smiling he asked, “Are you inviting me to your bed thisnight?”

Zoë replied, “That depends. I am looking for a man, a husband. I don’t want to sleep with any one else. What are you offering me?”

Torrent was a little taken aback and replied, “I wish you as my wife not just a quick tumble. If you wish a man, I wish to be that man.” He looked worried and added, “please.”

Zoë smiled, the feeling that for the first time in her life she was in control of her own body was powerful, and it felt good. She said, “I should like that too. How does it work here? What do we do to get married?”

Torrent replied, “If we both agree to it then we are marryt. Strictly spaeking we need someone to attest our agreement. All you have to do is ask, and I’ll raise the entire house. I really don’t wish to have you change your mind once you have agreen.”

Zoë asked, “Are you prepared to say that at breakfast?”

Torrent kissed her hand again and said, “Yes, my love, if only to make sure you don’t run away with the next good-looking waggoner who passes this way.”

Zoë laught and said, “The next good-looking waggoner who passes this way had better be you, or I shall start to feel neglected. Let’s go to bed and continue this there.”

She led Torrent by the hand into her chamber, where light was creeping berount the edge of a curtain not properly closed, [0135] and encouraged him to undress her, a proceeding which, distracted as he was by her kisses and intimate touches as well as her overwhelming femininity due to her pregnancy, he taekt his time over, which they both enjoyed. As Torrent ran his hands over her body she noticed it was her daughter’s movements and the veins of her engorged breasts which he was drawn to. She could see the wonder and desire on his face as his hands alternately caressed her daughter and his fingers traced what she had always considered to be the unsightly blue road maps her veins drew between the stretch marks on her breasts. Initially he paid scant attention to what she considered the more obvious attractions to a man of her sex though her arousal due to his hands running over her back and cotte(1) and down her legs was eventually satisfied as his hands returned. So much so that she couldn’t help herself as she stroked them as they worked their way up the inside of her thighs to where she craved their touch.

It was the first time she had felt her pregnancy was a sexually attractive state, but it was clear Torrent thought so. The men in her past life had stopped bothering her as her developing pregnancy maekt her increasingly undesirable to them. Playfully pushing his hands off her she insisted it was her turn. She enjoyed undressing him and only when she had him as naekt as herself did she allow him to resume indulging himself in the same liberties with her body she was taking with his. As they became progressively more involved with each other she began to have fleeting worries due to her babe not being Torrent’s. Torrent’s worries were of his craft taking him away from his wife and home a lot. Zoë’s advanced pregnancy maekt love making challenging, and the couple both enjoyed and giggled at their inventivth, not realising they were only discovering things all couples had had to discover for themselfs whence Zoë came. Zoë, of course, had never had a receipt book to read which would have given her explicit instructions as to how to enjoy physical intimacy at all stages of her pregnancy.

Their increasing arousal and its eventual conclusion had different effects on the couple. Torrent had the most profound experience of his life and realised his growing love and agreement maekt a huge difference to love making. Zoë, who’d had sex more than ten times for every once Torrent had, in spite of he being twice her age, had just maekt love for the first time in her life. It had left her happier than she had ever been, and also feeling emotionally exposed and vulnerable in a way she had never felt before, despite the incestuous brutality of her father and brothers. Being raped by her father and brothers had never resulted in orgasm, and the orgasm she had just experienced maekt what she could provide herself with pale into insignificance by comparison. What surprised her was the effect it had on her daughter who rather than kicking, elbowing and punching her as she had always done when her mother was raped, which Zoë considered as her protest at over much activity, was gently stroking her as though in approval.

Torrent with moist eyes emotionally telt her, “I have never experiencet aught comparable with that before and it has left me with feelings some of which I don’t even understand myself. I feel more of a man than I have ever feelt, and it has left me with an overpowering desire to protect you and the babe.”

Zoë moved to tears by Torrent’s emotion said, “I have been taken many times in my life, always against my will, and I have never been loved. I want to spend the rest of my life with you because that was so wonderful I don’t even want to think of not being with you. It was different for my baby too. For the first time, I think she enjoyed it too. I could tell for she did not kick so.”

The couple maekt love again, slowly and tenderly, and spake of their future. Torrent said, “We shall announce our agreement at braekfast, and we can discuss our immediate future after braekfast.”

Zoë agreed and the couple slept in each other’s arms ending with them both on their sides Torrent facing Zoë with one hand on her breast and the other on her babe to be, which Torrent had assured her was going to be his eldest, but as he suggested and Zoë agreed, by no means his youngest. Zoë fell asleep with Torrent stroking the outside of her bump and her babe stroking it on the inside.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00007020

WAGGONER LOGISTICS

EARLY FORENOON TO LATE AFTERNOON VERONICA (42) AND MAST (19)

4th of Chent Day 7

When they awoke Veronica maekt love to Mast with a ferocity that taekt his breath away, declaring as they both recovered their breath, “and let that be a lesson to you.”

They both laught, and Mast asked her, “I enjoyt that enormously, Love, but what maekt you will to be thus?”

“I just wanted to see if I could do it,” Veronica telt him, “and all the while I was hoping it would get me pregnant. So if you don’t mind, I’ll put the pillows under my hips and stay here for twenty minutes as I’ve heard it can aid conception, and there’s still a slight chance this cycle.”

“That’s a good idea, so I’ll wish for success. I’ll cook braekfast when I find the breath to do it and feed the horses.” Whilst Mast had started braeking camp and Veronica had been lying with the pillows under her hips willing herself to conceive, she had also been thinking of the person who must have been dormant within herself all those years to finally emerge in her forties with a teenage husband on an alien world. She was surprised by and a little proud of her creativity in bed, but most of all she felt deeply satisfied with her new self and life. When she arose to help braek camp she found Mast gralloching a long-coated mammal near twice the size of a large coney. In answer to her questions he said “It’s a glæt.(2) It was over by the river, and I killt it with my sling. They’re good eating, but I’ll give this one to Cloudberry as she’ll provide us with packt meals when we leave.” He shewed her his sling, and she asked how long it taekt to be any good with one. He replied, “I don’t know. I’ve been using one since I could walk. Lot’s of children do, though few continue to use one when adult.”

In under an hour they had eaten, packed and had resumed their journey. Veronica was interested in the economics of the waggon, and she asked Mast how much of the time was the waggon running light in terms of what the horses could reasonably pull, and what was there they could find to carry to make the weighth up, even if they left it at various places en route so it maekt its way to its destination, if need be, in several stages, or even with other waggoners making up their load. They spake of weighths and measures, and how much the horses could pull under what circumstances, and how much feed of what quality, including wayside grazing, they needed to do so. In short, Veronica maekt Mast give her a concise guide to waggoner logistics and economics. She may not have been the most intelligent of folk, but Veronica’s blood was telling, as a merchant she was highly talented and inventive, and she was making Mast consider waggoning in ways he had never dreamt of before. Without thinking, he passed her the reins, which maekt her nervous since she had never had any dealings with other than riding horses before, never mind driving a six-in-hand, but she was satisfied she was managing once she had worked out which horse each rein communicated with.

When he returned from rummaging in a box at the back of the waggon with a small book and a stylus, she telt Mast, “This is my first time driving a team, and I want to learn to do it properly.”

“Most of the time it’s obvious, and you only need to consider what Dalla, the nearside wheeler, is doing. He’s the lead horse, if he pulls the rest pull, if he stops the rest stop. You only have to drive the six as individuals when the trail is not easy or some other ill chance occurs. In most teams the offside leader is the team leader. Horse trainers focus on training leaders for the rôle, but Dalla was never traint he just naturally took the rôle. When I buyt my own waggon and started waggoning I hiert some of Geoffrey’s horses. I buyt Foxy first when she was in foal to Tibok, and more or less from birth Dalla followt the team running alongside his dam. When Dalla was grown I returnt Sparram to Eorl and Dalla took his place. The chance I took paying the extra for a mare in foal to Tibok payt off, for Dalla exceeded aught any could have hoept for, for he’s as big a wheeler as any I have ever seen or hearet of. I doetn’t have the tokens for a traint leader then, for buying Foxy had put me deep in debt, but Dalla being intelligent enough to act as lead horse and doing so of his own accord was a bonus beyond dreams. I buyt the rest of the team one by one as I could afford to so do. You drive again when you’ve written down what we need.”

Mast gave her the book and stylus, and taking the reins back said, “Ideas that good need writing down straightforth, before they are forgett, so I’ll tell you what to write regards what we’re committet to on the left hand pages, and you put your ideas for increast efficiency opposite them on the right hand pages. We can always alter it when we are given more work as we go.” They spent the entire forenoon planning out what they were committed to, and how to improve things, with Veronica handling the reins for a good part of the way. As Mast had said much of it was obvious, but not all. When they stopped to rest the horses Veronica practised with Mast’s sling and he agreed to make her one as soon as possible. Both were feeling pleased with themselfs when they stopped for lunch. Veronica, who was beginning to fall in love with her husband, felt she had found a rôle that suited her and would make her happy. She had enjoyed driving the waggon, and she had managed to consistently sling a stone to within a couple of strides of what she was aiming at. Mast was delighted that he not only had a desirable wife who wished to craft on the waggon with him, but one who was such an able craft partner too.

They had lunch and hitched the horses which had been turned loose to graze, and Veronica said thoughtfully, “You know we could always carry oats and feed, maybe even hay, when running light, and then distribute them over the major stopping places, and maybe spare horses too, which may be useful.”

“That could be a solution to a problem I have had a number of times. If I’m carrying really heavy loads, usually a big stick(3) I pull on heavy axles not on a waggon, for this waggon is ill suitet for hauling timber, I need aught up to twelve horses rather than the usual six. I uest sixteen once, that’s six pairs of centres,(4) which take a bit of driving, especially downhill. I won’t use any other than my own wheelers and leaders if I can avoid it. Then when I deliver, I have the problem of what to do with the extra centres, which is a major reason why I haven’t doen it for a good while. However, if we have regular stabling at the major stopping places, other waggoners could use them as requiert, for a consideration of course, and…. I’ve not quite organiest it all in my head, Love, but I’m convincet it will be a workable solution to a lot of problems for a lot of waggoners.”

They continued the conversation and them all of a sudden Veronica noticed a holding with a number of outbuildings. “We’re there,” she noted. They pulled up outside an outbuilding which Mast telt her was stabling, and three men and four women converged on them with a flock of children of all ages.

“Afternoon, Mast, and…?”

“Afternoon all, this is Veronica, my wife and craft partner.”

The women hurried Veronica inside out of the caltth, and the men and children helped unload the waggon and to turn the horses loose into a paddock after Mast had backed it under cover. Sledge exclaimed with satisfaction when he saw that the tools from Oak had arrived. Mast telt him, “Oak sayt all the repairt tools are here, and everything else you wisht, but there are only two new scythe blades. The other two will be on the next waggon coming this way.”

“Two’s enough for the now,” Sledge said.

Mast retrieved the glæt and handed it to a younger man, “Give this to Cloudberry, Aconite. Careful, I put the giblets back in it.”

Aconite grinned at Mast and said, “She’ll appreciate it. Doetn’t know you were seeking a wife, Mast.”

Mast said with no expression on his face, “I wasn’t, but you know how it is in trade, when an opportunity arrives you have to take it before a competitor does. How’s the family, Aconite?”

“We’ve all been hale barring a few coughs, had a reasonable spring, but you know how it is in the growing craft. It’s a riandet what the weather is doing, for the weeds outgrow the crops.”

They all laught, and having finished unloading went inside for something to eat and a mug of leaf. There were nine adults and eleven children to the table when they were all sitting down. After every one had had something to eat and a drink of leaf, Sledge asked, “We’ve three thousand weights of last year’s wheat and barley we need taking to the Long Valley foresters betimes, dropping some at each of their four cabins. Can you do it, Mast?”

Mast grinned, and to the surprise of all the adults askt, “Veronica, is it waggonable?”

Veronica had come to realise her husband was a bit of an entertainer as well as a waggoner, so she pulled the notebook out from her bosom with a flourish, and replied, “Tell me how far it is, how it fits in with the rest of the load, give me a minute and I’ll tell you.”

Mast telt her “We shall leave here at six nextday, unload the two small boxes at Fracha and Squid’s holding early afternoon, but that’s only sixty weights for both, and camp nexteve on the trail. The following day we reach the first Long Valley cabin mid-forenoon. We reach all four Long Valley cabins that day. The last we arrive at in time for the eve meal. We overnight with them at the fourth cabin before continuing early the following day. It’s hard work for the horses and they will need an extra ration a day for two days.”

Part of the conversation of the forenoon had concerned weighths and measures, so the unfamiliar units didn’t bother her, but Veronica wished to be sure she had it right, for she’d extended what Mast had telt her and wasn’t sure of her idea’s reception. She knew she was better at mental arithmetic than Mast, but she did a few written calculations in the back of the book to be certain of her facts, and spaeking to Mast, said, “We can’t take the lot, Mast. If you are prepared to run for the next two days with no spare capacity we can take two and a quarter thousand weights. If you wish the usual quarter of a thousand weights in hand we can take two thousand weights.” Remembering what Mast had said concerning using up to sixteen horses, she added, “However, we could take the lot, with a slower pace to start with, and start with a hundred and eighty weights in hand, two hundred and forty-five after dropping the small boxes, if you can get another pair of horses and a hundred and twenty weights of oats, or pushing it a bit a hundred and fifty weights of general feed and grazing the team a bit more gives an initial hundred and fifty weights in hand, two hundred and fifteen after dropping the small boxes. Plus the feed they’ll have eaten of course.”

Mast turned and said, “There’s your answer, Sledge. We’ve changt the way we trade. I’m the waggoner, but Veronica is the one who decides what’s waggonable and what’s not. I’ll let you decide what we take.”

Sledge was taken aback by Mast insisting Veronica was the one who maekt the decisions, but there was naught he could do but accept it, so he said, “I’ve two reliable heavy plough horses and can provide the oats, will you take the lot, Mast? I need the horses back within a lune and a half.”

Mast grinned and replied, “I’ll take a look at the horses before committing to it, but if I do you’ll have them back long before then. I’m not feeding two big horses for that long without working them. You do realise as long as I have them I’ll work them?”

Sledge grinned back at him and said, “It was worth a try wasn’t it? Yes, working them for their feed is only reasonable. Finish your leaf and let’s look at the horses.”

They went to look at the horses, and Mast agreed they were good enough for the job. “They will do fine as a pair of centres, Sledge, best behind my centres though.” The men and Mast loaded the sacks of grain, and the extra oats, onto the waggon and all was readied for nextday.

Mast after checking his horses, tack and waggon, readying the extra tack for the plough horses and checking their collars, went into the house. Seeing Veronica studying the trip book at the big kitchen table he sat down with her and asked, “The plough horses will be good enough as a pair of centres. Do you need to rework the calculations for the trip, Love?”

Veronica, who had just been doing some calculations in the back of the book, put her stylus down and replied, “Not from my point of view, but you’ll maybe need a slightly slower pace till the horses have eaten a hundred weights of feed, mind eight will eat it more quickly than six, and will need to consider the return of the plough horses. We’ve no return load at this point, but of course that may change as the trip progresses. They could be led or better worked by another team coming back this way if we meet one after the first drop of grain, but that’s leaving no slack at all, it would probably be better to do that after the second drop.”

Mast said “That would be best because whilst the first cabin, Abyss View, is near the ridge after a long, moderate, uphill gradient the second, Sky View, is down on the Long Valley bottom land, and it’s a steep descent. The other two, Level View and Gentle View, are on the flat and the much more reasonable climb out on the far side respectively. I can hitch the plough horses behind the waggon on the way down into the Long Valley to provide additional braeking.” He explained “The waggon is built with an easily removable pole, and I carry a longer one neath the body which I can hitch the wheelers and the centres to, normally only the wheelers are poelt.(5) The longer pole makes the waggon less manœuvrable, but it’s only horses tackt to the pole that can provide braking on descents, so on steep descents, especially heavily laden, its safer to have four horses poelt. I’d prefer my own centres poelt since they’re uest to it. I usually unhitch the leaders and hitch them behind the waggon for even more braeking when going down aught as steep as the Long Valley descent, but the plough horses out-weigh the leaders by at least a hundred and fifty weights each, so I’ll hitch the plough horses behind the waggon and the leaders behind them.”

Mast reflected a moment and said “I’ve been thinking of having a pole maekt I can hitch the entire team to, the only problem is it would be so long it would be an inconvenience storing it on the waggon when it’s not in use. Still it could always just stick out at the back. Or may hap the wainwrights could contrive a two part pole, an extension to the usual one would be best, I’ll ask Vinnek. I doubt we’ll meet a waggoner coming this way till we reach the main trail two days the far side of Gentle View, for I know of none nearer at the moment. Most of us have a reasonable idea of where we all are, and we keep each other informed. However, any we meet will be glad of the extra pair to climb the Long Valley ascent and leave them here. Any waggon returning this way, and I’m thinking there will be a couple in the next five to eight days, will make up their load with elm blanks for wheel hubs at Gentle View for the wheelwrights at the Keep, and the extra horses will mean they’ll be able to load more. There are always more than enough to fill a waggon. That will make their trip more profitable, for they’ll only have need of and have to feed the extra horses for the climb.”

Veronica nodded and said, “I’d like a wider trip book if possible, Mast. I’m having to do the calculations at the back and it would be easier if they were alongside the trip details. I know it’s not a major consideration, but I like to take account of the weight of feed as it decreases, for over a wee…tenner it is considerable.”

“It’ll have to wait till we’re back at the Keep, Love. For the one you have is the standard one maekt by the paper crafters for writing records in. We’re carrying several dozen mostly for women who use them for their receipt books. They’re more like a household journal really that they use to educate their girls with. I don’t know if the crafters make wider ones, but if they don’t we’ll order some for you, say a dozen. Better yet a gross, for I’m sure they’ll trade well. After all you can’t be the only one with a use for wider pages.”

The pair carried on spaeking of various possibilities on the trip, and how they would deal with each. The women in the kitchen who were preparing the eve meal were amazed, not by a woman telling Mast what he could and couldn’t do, after all there were a number of Mistress waggoners, but by the complexity of the way the two put together the trip plans. The couple seemed to have contingency plans for every conceivable set of events. Veronica who was enjoying the life of a respected crafter thought her new life was no replacement for the life she had led, it was much better, and realised even if given the opportunity she had no desire to return whence she had originated. One of the younger women Cygnet, who was six lunes pregnant, asked her, “What will you do if you become pregnant?”

Veronica replied, “It’s when I am pregnant not if I am pregnant. We’re hoping it will be soon. The answer is I’m not sure. I want to be on the waggon as long as possible, but I don’t want to be silly and risk my child.”

“I need Veronica with me,” Mast added, “so at the appropriate time, we’ll pull off the trail till she and the babe are ready for waggoning.”

It was clear to the women the couple hadn’t discussed this, and an older woman asked, “How long have you been marryt?”

Veronica laught, and nodded permission to Mast to reply, “We met as I left the Keep lastday forenoon, Smockt, and till I’m given permission by Veronica I’m not going to add to that.”

Veronica could see the women were interested, but she continued from where Mast had left off, “As I’m sure you are aware from the way I talk, I’m newfolk, and I’m not ready to talk about it yet, if you don’t mind.”

The women realising there was personal hurt involved all shook their heads, and Cloudberry said, “I’m sure we’ll be telt what you wish to tell us when you are ready so to do. You will wish to wash and unpack your things in your chamber before the eve meal, so I suggest Skylark shews you your chamber, and we’ll see you both at the eve meal.”

Veronica pushed her book back into her bosom, and she and Mast were shewn to their chamber, which was a spacious one with a double bed, and had a beautifully carved crib in a corner. Veronica was enchanted by the quality of the workmanship, and Mast telt her, “It’s one of Peregrine’s making, you can always tell without need to see his maker mark. He’s a Master isn’t he?”

“It’s beautiful. It’s a pity a crib’s not appropriate for the waggon.”

“True,” Mast agreed, “but Peregrine may be able to invent something that is, he loves a challenge. We’ll ask him when we’re back to the Keep.” They unpacked Mast’s bag, and Mast said, “I can provide you with what you need in the way of personal items and a bag too out of the trade goods, and I can even provide you with a pair of warm, water and snow proof boots, but we have to do some trading for clothes for you. I love you in your apron, but you can’t survive with just one apron and one set of underclothes. You have a wash and I’ll go and spaek with Cloudberry.”

“Mast, would you mind if I lie down for a rest? I don’t usually become tired at this time of day, but I’m not sure I’ve worked all the brandy out of my system yet.”

“Of course I don’t. With luck you’ll be needing to rest in the day soon any hap.”

“I’ll have some practice then.”

Mast left to find Cloudberry, and explained because of the circumstances Veronica had only the clothes she was wearing, and they wished to do some trading. Cloudberry exclaimed, “Poor thing. I’ll give her some as payment for taking all the grain. Sledge was desperate you know, and she was the one who maekt it possible wasn’t she?”

“Yes. I’d never have considert using plough horses in a team, and the way she can calculate her trail through completely new situations is remarkable. I just can’t plan like that.”

“I’ll find a couple of frocks, and one for when her waist grows with a babe, some underclothes and a shawl too. Is her fur coat good enough for a calt blow on the waggon, Mast?”

“Yes, and her hat and boots too, that’s no problem, but a warm pair of gloves for when she’s driving would help. Gratitude, Cloudberry.”

Cloudberry smiled and said, “My gratitude to you. Sledge is a good man, but he can be difficult when he’s worryt for the family, and he really needet all the grain delivert. I know he can be difficult simply because he cares, and he’s never so to me, but I do prefer it when he’s pleasant to all the family, and not just to me.” She smiled again, and went away to find the clothes for Veronica.

Mast returned to their chamber, and related Cloudberry’s tale to Veronica saying, “You have just earnt the first rewards for your crafting,” He had just finished when there was a knock at the door. Upon being telt to come in, Cloudberry entered with an armful of clothes.

Cloudberry chased Mast out, saying, “Return in half an hour, these are women’s concerns.” Mast went to have spaech with the men leaving Veronica and Cloudberry to the clothes. Cloudberry had Veronica stripped to the skin with clean, warm underwear and thin woollen socks on in no time at all, and trying on three frocks and an apron in turn after dumping the petticoats and blouses on the bed.

“A pair of the thicker socks over those will fit in your boots, but be too warm in the house. I considert these frocks would fit, and this one no doubt will when you have a babe under your heart to fill it. The ties at the sides can be let out at your need. The shawl was mine, but it only suits a younger woman, and I haven’t wearn it for years. My daughters and granddaughters consider shawls are old fashiont, but on the waggon warmth is more important than fashion.” She retrieved a pair of scarfs, more socks, more underclothes and a pair of light, lined leather gloves from under the blouses, skirts and petticoats, and said, “These will be warm, and will prevent your hands freezing when you’re handling the reins, and they’re light enough to avoid clumsyth.”

She picked up a small bag and opened it. Veronica saw it contained knickers and what appeared to be pieces of a towelling like fabric and a sponge. Cloudberry seeing the puzzled look on Veronica’s face said, “For your lunetimes. You tuck the towels under the tapes in the knickers to hold them in place.” Cloudberry demonstrated and continued, “The towels are washable and the sponge too which you can use over times of heavy flow. I’ll fetch you some cream to help. Mast said you only had the clothes you were wearing and he had providet you with personal items out of his trade goods. I doubtet a man would carry such on the waggon, and I assuemt you would be needing them.” As she picked up Veronica’s clothes ready to depart she said, “I’ll take these to wash, and we’ll have more spaech when we eat.”

Veronica stopped her with tears in her eyes, and said, “I shouldn’t accept all this, but I know I need them, and I am so grateful.”

Cloudberry pushed her back to sit on the bed, put the clothes down, and said, “Listen, Child, in your eyes I can see trouble in your past. I can also see you love your man. I’ve known him since he was a boy, he was by the bye a lovable albeit naughty boy, but he’s a good man. I can see your life here is better than whencever it was you came. That you wish to help and support him shines in your eyes, and you’ve spaken of the children you hope for. Men are stronger than we, but on their own they’re nowhere near as strong as when they have our help, love and support. My man is proud, yet no different, and he needet the grain selt and delivert to help us survive unencumbert by debt till this harvest is in, and it’s unbelike another waggon would pass this way in time with the space. If you hadn’t taken it all he would have had to make a trip himself to avoid the foresters buying a thousand weights of grain elsewhere, and we don’t really have the time, for we need all the men here at this time of the year. You maekt it possible to deliver it all. I love my man, he’s a good man, and in giving you these clothes, which we no longer need, I am paying debts for my family.

“You remember that, and when you are my age make sure your daughters and granddaughters understand what I have just telt you. Now as one woman to another, let’s allow the men their strongth, because they only feel able to admit weakth to their woman, and that’s usually only when we’ve supportet them to the best of our ability in bed. I’ll see you at the eve meal, and I’ll have the clothes you were wearing washt and dryt ready for you by braekfast nextday.” With that she picked up the clothes Veronica had been wearing and was gone. She left Veronica to a maze of conflicting thoughts, but uppermost in her mind was, a simple economy yes, a simple folk no.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft. The default is the feminine, like most but not all Folk words. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
2 Glæt, a hamster-like mammal of five to ten weights.
3 Stick, the trunk of a felled tree containing most of the most useful wood.
4 Centres, a pair of horses behind the leaders but in front of the wheelers in a team tacked up in side-by-side pairs. Referred to as Swings in some variants of English, notably American English.
5 Poelt, poled, harnessed to the pole.

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos