02 - Farsightedness

Printer-friendly version

An astounding start for our Minister

grakh
 

Tales of Faralmark



by Julia Phillips


02 – Farsightedness


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2020-2022 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2022 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Tales of Faralmark
02 — Farsightedness

“Would you please go up to the Margrave now, Minister?” said Lim as he returned to their office room. “I will keep your next appointment occupied until you return. A shame it is that we had not more advanced notice that he would require your assistance today.”

“Thank you, Lim. I am somewhat surprised that I have not been kept waiting for so very long! This summons seems to have very short notice.”

“I deem this meeting upstairs to be most important, if I understand correctly from the servants just who is there!”

“What do they say, then?”

“Minister, may I suggest that your impatience will be answered when you enter. I should not venture any guesses that may prove incorrect.”

Yussuf rolled his eyes at young Lim, adjusted his robes as he stood and then left without a backward glance.

For some reason, he found himself counting the steps as he climbed. He shook his head and grinned at himself.

“Good freshness, Minister. Please enter,” said the Margrave’s Housemaster as he went to open the double doors for Yussuf, “His Grace is expecting you along with his visitors.”

“And a good freshness to you too. Thank you, Birug,” Yussuf said as he entered the room. The usage of the Faralmark early morning greeting always raised his spirits, as indeed it was designed to do to all that heard it.

The five pairs of eyes that looked at him immediately drew his attention, so much so that he was unaware of Birug closing the double doors behind him, from the outside. He almost overlooked the pair of servants standing to attention just inside the doorway, one to each side.

The Margrave stood up, which act temporarily shocked Yussuf (His Grace standing for HIM, ’tis normally the other way round), as he beckoned Yussuf across to a seat on the fourth side of the low, square table, round which the three principals had made themselves comfortable. A few scrolls and parchments were scattered across its surface, four cups, one so far untouched, and the inevitable pot of pel. Four other mugs were also present and a carafe of water. In front of the Margrave’s seat is a strange rectangular block, almost white in colour. Next to it are two thin twigs, but they aren’t twigs rea...

“My friends,” started the Margrave, interrupting Yussuf’s train of thought, “if I may introduce Faralmark’s Minister for Trade and Transport, Master Yussuf by name.”

Each of the seated men nodded to him, even as Yussuf was encouraged to take the seat opposite the Margrave. Yussuf noted that there was no offer of any handshakes. Now is that because they deem me to be beneath them, or maybe because they are seated. I have never seen a handshake between men that WASN’T performed stand...

“To your left, Minister, you will find Grand Duke Kotterin of Mirdul, who kindly gave passage to our other guest here. Please also meet to your right Landgrave Herso of Benmond.”

Maker, they are the rulers of those two lands. I AM beneath them. How do I react to them, address them?”

The Margrave swung round and used an arm to indicate the other two men in the room, men seated at a less luxurious table and chair arrangement, and with piles more of parchment folders and scrolls in front of them as well as the light refreshments. Yussuf’s panic began to rise but he forced himself to listen to the Margrave. “These gentlemen are their advisors. They may contribute as and when to our discussions. I anticipate that you shall be contacting and discussing with all four of these gentlemen, particularly in the event of my being unavailable at some time.”

Yussuf started to stand again, but the Margrave signalled him to stay down, and at the same time to calm himself. The new Minister didn’t really know how to behave properly at that very moment. He did feel he needed to speak though.

He coughed to clear his throat of any hidden or unexpected hindrances: “Gentlemen, it is a great honour to meet you both. I confess I would fain learn how I should properly address the two of you,” the Minister stated. “However, I feel in many ways that I should be seated at that other table.” He cast an almost imploring glance at the Margrave.

“Nonsense, Yussuf. You have very valuable knowledge in your head and I require, nay need, your input on several points that shall come up. I anticipate we shall be here up to and through luncheon. There is ...”

“Excuse me, Your Grace, if that is the case, then I need to let Master Lim know for I did have some appointments this morn. He shall need to reschedule them or otherwise handle them.”

“Minister, I am impressed. Already arranging such things on just your second day in the job!” Even as he was praising Yussuf, the Margrave caught the eye of one of the servants by the door and nodded commandingly. The young man acknowledged with eye-speak and slipped out quietly.

The Grand Duke from Mirdul looked up in some surprise: “Just the second day?” he queried, his eyes darting between the Margrave and the Minister.

“Indeed so,” replied the Margrave. “I appointed Minister Yussuf only yesterday. After a great deal of investigative checking, I deemed him to be the best man for the job I require.” He turned back to Yussuf. “Mayhap you should tell us all here gathered your history, Minister. It would, I’m sure, answer early many of the questions that shall otherwise arise and thus clear the decks for the more serious matters for which we have gathered.”

Yussuf was gathering his thoughts for this unexpected direction when Landgrave Herso asked simply: “Your name and clothing suggest a background which at first glance would appear to be unusual in this part of our Valley, Minister. How comes that?”

Yussuf’s mind was jerked onto yet another track. He looked from one face to another as he thought furiously. But the need to formulate a story went a long way to helping him calm down. The silence stretched. It was broken by the door opening quietly and the servant slipping back into the room. Another glanced message between the servant and the Margrave took place. But none of the six seated men actually said anything. The Margrave once again remarked the Minister’s agitated use of his hands as he thought.

Then Yussuf found his tongue once more. He began hesitatingly: “Several generations ago, more than several actually, we... I... my... our… THE tribe lived er... not that distant from a township far off to the west, near to the edge of the vast desert there.” He visibly gathered himself together. “The township we today call Davenarga. A few marks to the south west of the edge of the town was then the edge of desert, it had not yet encroached as much as I understand it has today, but on the eastern side there were mostly green fields where people could till, sow and harvest.

“The tribe had claimed to itself a set of fields strategically situated close to the Trade Route; a trade route that actually still exists, for ’tis the ancient Chivan one that joins the Great Valley in what was, before Yod and once again has reverted to being, Lower Fanir.

“In those days, there was no local irrigation there but I have heard that there might be some now, put in three or four generations ago. I heard this before the war from a downriver trading partner who himself had heard it from one of the Wagonmasters that once took that long, long, long journey. ’Twas from there I received my more modern descriptions of the landscape thereabouts.

“However, back to our family history. A run of years of drought, some disease, creeping sands and raiders persuaded one of the sons of the tribal leader to take a large group of the younger ones to search for a more reliable home. At first, they followed the Trade Route to the east and after a few days, maybe even weeks for they could not travel swiftly, they came across a large river flowing generally, but with several bends, from the north east down towards the south west. A village had grown where the Trade Route crossed this river and they reached it just as a flotilla of three ships were about to leave to follow this river down its course, back to where they had come from.

“Talks and negotiating persuaded the leader of this band of fifty or so to board the flotilla and float along with them. They had dealt honestly with the traders on the ships but once away from other civilised persons, they discovered they were heading for a life of slavery as all their items of value were forcibly removed. In those days many of the rapids and falls were not as navigable as they are now, but this winding river gradually changed its general course from heading south west to heading south. Mountains began to appear and the river curved its general course even more to the east. The breakaway tribe were put to work as porters to carry loads and ships across the rougher parts of the river.

“Six years of this slavery went past until one year the leaders of the shippers just didn’t return. The slaves revolted and, once the survivors had regathered, they decided to follow the river still. It turned out to be our very own Sirrel. The ship they had also ‘liberated’ lasted all the way to here. They carried it down the well-worn footpath where the steep slope of the Valley led to where these strange rock walls enclose the land. At a point near where another river crashed in from the left, the ship finally collapsed. The thirty two surviving members of the tribe were wary, but the locals here were basically welcoming, particularly when the tribe demonstrated a good knowledge of farming. And a willingness to work hard.”

Yussuf paused then. His change of pronouns from now on did not go unremarked by any of the other men.

“And so we stayed. Put our roots down where we had landed, wearied by the trials and tribulations we had undergone.”

“I am myself at least four generations after that, but I suspect there may have been twice as many, maybe even more. Accurate records were not kept. I knew my grandfather, who said he knew HIS grandfather. He claimed the same could be said of that one too.”

The others were all taken by the passion and emotions evident in the Minister’s recounting. And the obvious pride.

“I knew all that not,” said the Margrave. “I just knew that we had a well-integrated minority community here, one of which all Faralmark could be proud.

“Tell us more of your own particular life, Minister, for that has more relevance to our deliberations.”

After pouring a glass of water and taking a sip, Yussuf began again.

“My father was a wine grower but his passion for his few rest days was to go fishing. And when he went fishing, he took his son along with him. And so I learnt the ways of the waters from a very early age. Somehow they enchanted me and I could consider no other life other than one afloat.

“I was an only child and when my father decided that age dictated he rested, the vines were sold to another, he knowing that I would not continue the family traditions. With nothing to do after a lifetime of toil, he lasted just a few more months, and my mother went not long after he did.

“By that time, I had a burgeoning business, mostly trading up and down the Faral river, with some excursions across to Zebrin, where I swiftly learnt many of the routes through their marshes there at the great bend. I and my wife had then a hand of trading vessels which were frankly barely fit for purpose. So I started thinking of ways to improve them. I designed a craft shape that I felt would serve us and the communities I dealt with far better.

“After asking around, checking with river captains, sending messages and so on, I was persuaded I had found the right boatyard to make this new craft. One that had the right balance of expertise and hardy timbers. I had seen many of our craft up here built of local wood that either twisted or cracked under stress. After long, detailed and sometimes heated discussions with my wife, I left her to run our business and took passage aboard a boat heading downriver. I was extremely nervous the whole way, for I had with me my entire riches, which I could only hope would cover the cost of a ship such as I had designed. I...”

“You say your wife ran your business in your absence, Minister?” asked the Margrave with a certain amount of surprise. “Is she also a formidable sailor upon our waters?”

“Regrettably not, Your Grace. She was ... is ... more than competent in the organising, but she had to employ more nautically-inclined captains for our rickety fleet. She did manage to amass a small profit for ourselves in the eight months I was away, and the captains were also happy with the contracts she arranged.”

The Landgrave asked: “Does your wife assist you now?”

“Umm … excuse me, I know not how to address you … ?” replied a worried-looking Yussuf.

The three men laughed briefly. “We are all Your Graces!” replied the Landgrave for them all.

Oh, that could get confusing! He looked up and saw the others smiling broadly.

Cringe.

“Err, did I say that aloud?” said Yussuf, with a hand across his mouth and hoping against hope that he hadn’t.

They all smilingly nodded back at him. He felt his face aflame. But he also felt his smile trying to break out.

“Indeed you did, my Minister.” The Margrave’s eyes were twinkling. “And perhaps we should refer to you as a Craftmaster, seeing as you controlled all those river-borne craft.”

There were smiles all round.

There was a pause.

“So,” repeated the Landgrave, “your wife?”

The colour left his cheeks almost as rapidly as it had arrived. The sudden contrast was shocking. The three leaders looked at each other in some concern.

“At present, no, she does NOT do so.”

There was no doubt in anyone’s mind that this was no time to take this thread any further, that brief statement having been said with such finality. All of which left the conversation hanging, with that associated awkwardness.

Eventually they teased out the rest of Yussuf’s tale, learnt of the purchase of the new craft, one a year after the initial construction of the first pair. For Yussuf had in fact carried with him sufficient funds for two boats, a fact that was pleasantly surprising to him at the time but which delayed his departure of course.

He went on to describe the making of various contracts whilst he waited for completion and he even managed to cover the costs of his return home with a temporary crew AND the costs of hiring a captain and crew for his unexpected second vessel.

These new craft enabled his business to expand and soon his profits were mounting. When the war came, he had twelve of them, all plying their business downstream at the time the Yodans confiscated them.
His tale petered out soon after.

“Indeed, my dear Margrave,” started the Grand Duke, “I can understand this man’s extremely impressive credentials. But I have detected a certain lack in some of his knowledge, and I myself would better understand some of the things your messages have told us but I am not certain I have fully grasped, ...” the Landgrave nodded in agreement as Mirdul’s ruler said this, “… or have been able accurately to fit into the overall picture. Be pleased now to tell us your remarkable tale in detail.”

“Very well, but first allow me to order some fresh pel. And maybe a small pastry or two? My tale shall be long and complex, so mayhap we should all make ourselves more comfortable before I commence?”

Upon receiving nods of acceptance, the Margrave called out: “Pagward, we shall all go and relieve ourselves and return here in a hand of moments. Please arrange for the pel to be refreshed for ALL here, and renew the water in the carafes and so on.”

The servant who had earlier slipped out to get a message passed to Master Lim, snapped to attention and replied: “As you command, Your Grace.”

… … …

Yussuf’s mouth dropped open again and again as the tale the Margrave related unfolded. His mouth was not the only one. Audible gasps from all around arose when Simbran used the top sheet of paper from what Yussuf had originally thought was an off-white rectangular block. One of those non-twigs was revealed to be a ‘reedlet’. They looked at each other in wonderment as the Margrave demonstrated their use. All of them were sufficiently intelligent to grasp the major changes this would make.

Stars, suns, planets! People that have travelled from other planets! Education and schools for all! New numbers! The war with Yod was fought for control of knowledge! Steam engines, electricity, railroads, new clocks! New times, even! Paper, printing!

“Surely, Your Grace, you jest?”

“I jest not, Minister. I have been shown various proofs of all this and am quite certain that I can absolutely claim all to be true. It was those proofs that convinced me of my course of action.”

The Margrave answered several questions from the advisors with a dignified certainty which went a long way to convince the five shocked listeners.

A cough from the doorway made the Margrave glance up in that direction.

“Your Grace,” said young Pagward, “the bells indicate that there is but a quarter bell until the scheduled time of the luncheon.”

“Ah! Thank you, Pagward. We shall make our way to the dining hall, via the facilities, I would suggest. The two of you,” the Margrave indicated the other servant standing there, “should slide off now and eat. We shall all return here to recommence in a bell exactly. Please arrange for the refreshments to be renewed and replenished whilst we are out. And either you or Foost should arrange with the Captain to ensure that no-one else enters these rooms whilst we are out.”

“As you command, Your Grace!”

And so the six men sat together and were introduced to forks. The advantages soon became abundantly clear. And thanks were effusive as Simbran donated each of them with a fork to take away with them.

They all peppered the Margrave with questions which he answered openly and honestly. Yussuf learnt early on that the Landgrave’s advisor was named Gerry, whilst the other was named Shant.

In answering the multitude of questions thrown his way, Simbran was most persuasive and by the end of their meal the entire party found that they accepted the incredible things he had told them.

Shortly after, they returned to the conference room that the Margrave’s office had now become. A very animated group of leaders and advisors.

They settled in, poured some fresh cups of pel, and turned all eyes onto the Margrave.

“It is obvious, I deem, that I learnt all this when I was all the way down in Palarand for that wonderful wedding of the King’s son, Keren. Good King Robanar took the opportunity of having many assembled rulers present to make a very radical suggestion, nothing to do with the young couple’s nuptials, but far more to do with the future of the Great Valley – and perhaps even wider!

“It became rapidly apparent that the matters introduced by Keren’s bride, Princess Garia, were here to stay. And will be vastly improved upon. It took some convincing but I did eventually believe them when they said that in the future, with those railroads I mentioned, it would be possible to live in Palarand, got to Viridor, the port city in Vardenale, and return to Palarand, all in the same day.”

The Grand Duke shook his head in amazement and said: “I have been down there and I know the distances involved. For those of you who have not been down there, allow me to calculate an equivalent.”

The room fell silent.

“I deem that doing that would be the same as travelling from Pakmal Town...” at this point he looked directly and meaningfully at Herso, “... to your Capital, Benmond.”

“In a day? Impossible,” exclaimed the Landgrave. Yussuf drew in a breath with an audible hiss, and both Shant and Gerry exclaimed aloud.

“Nay, you all misunderstand. That would be Pakmal Town to Benmond AND BACK in a day.”

Simbran caught the Grand Duke’s eye and nodded his agreement. He mouthed: “A fair comparison, I deem.”

“We are not jesting, colleagues. Our countries shall shrink, and shrink rapidly.”

A solemn silence descended just then.

The Margrave allowed the silence to continue for a while before saying: “I will let you mull that over whilst I recount some of my doings upon my return journey. But first I will tell you of Robanar’s idea, his strong suggestion if you will. In effect, he suggests we turn back time and revert to the Chivans or the Habarans in that we create a large amalgamation of our present-day countries. Each country would continue as they are and yet would also contribute to the whole. I confess at this remove that I have forgotten the exact terminology he – they – used, ’twas either either the Confederation or just the Federation. I shall use the latter in my terminology from now on, but urge you to remember I may be wrong there!

“At that point, just after the first conference which was called the Sirrel Congress - note well the name since it implicates all of us as well - then a number of countries agreed that this Federation should come into being.”

He paused somehow significantly.

“One of which was Joth. And one of which was … Faralmark.”

He grinned as his listeners all showed yet again their surprise.

“At that point, due to the distance I had to travel to get home, I departed. Most of the other leaders there continued on to Dekarran for another marriage, this time that of Robanar’s brother Gilbanar’s son. And there they held another session of the Sirrel Congress. Messages delivered to me since, by the Valley Messenger Service of course, inform me that, after that second Congress meeting, the other lands all signed up for it.

“Gentlemen, there exists even as we speak a wondrous alliance of the lands of the lower Sirrel. And Faralmark is already a part of that alliance. But I shall return to this in a little while.

“We left Palarand laden with many messages for places through which we would pass; and we pushed very hard. Normally a traveller in this direction overnights in Brikant for their first stop, but we went further to try to reduce the next days’ loads. We passed Brikant and headed down towards Terban getting around halfway to that ferry slip.

“The next day we had a rather longer wait for a ferry than I would have preferred and we pushed hard again across Brugan. Again we passed the town itself and headed for the next ferry at West Haral. Another night in a country roadhouse. We managed this fast pace partly due to the fact that we had no need to deliver packages and messages, these lands being near enough to Palarand that the senders required no assistance, or they were already in touch by using the semaphore. This ...”

“What was that name you used? Semaform?”

“Semaphore, actually – s, e, m, a, p, h, o, r, e. But that is also for later. I must needs return to my journey, lest something gets omitted.”

He took a sip of water.

“This time the ferry was prompt and we reached the soil of Virgulend early enough for us to be able to push and push and push. We managed to get as far as the ferry slip at Treen, but I confess we had exhausted the animals, not just ourselves. The beds that night could have been equipped with rock mattresses, I doubt we would have noticed.

“Nearly straight out of bed the next morning took us directly onto another ferry. At that place the country of Smordan is not very wide. We rode gently across to the far side, to yet another ferry slip, this time at Hirdam. Why gently you may ask? Simply because I had business to conduct in Smordan, specifically in Hirdam. What I did there is mostly of interest to the Minister here, so I will speak the details to him at a later occasion. However, I will mention that soon we shall have here a small flotilla of the best cargo vessels on the Sirrel.”

He nodded to Yussuf who smiled back. “Eh, CRAFTMaster?” Again, Simbran had produced just the right tone between relaxation and importance. All had a chuckle at that remark.

“We spent a day there making the necessary arrangements for all that I wanted. The overnight there was most comfortable. We crossed in the morning to Thorn on the island of Joth from where we made our leisurely way down to Joth City with many packages and messages for those in the Duke’s Mansion. Her Grace Fanis is a very capable woman and most charming. She insisted we stay there and found us comfortable rooms for the night. The animals were cared for and we managed to relax for nigh on a whole day.

“The next day we parted with a written message from her, for we had expressed a desire to see some of the troops and to observe the Boldan’s Rock area more closely. Her introductory letter enabled us to gain much information, much insight, and much detail in the way the battles fought there were conducted. We also learned the tale of Gylfi’s Rest. We overnighted in Hulmar to get an early start the next day.

“Once we had crossed into Forguland the next day, ’twas not that far out of the way to drop off the packages and messages we had for them. We also took the time to study those battle fields from the Forguland side of the river. After satisfying our curiosity, we returned towards the ferry slip but held to our right and diagonally crossed Forguland. We continued on to the ferry slip that would take us to Ferenis. We had time to cross the river that evening, but I made the mistake of deciding to take it easy. The delivery of the messages and packages the next day quite delayed us.

“That following day we had to push hard. I had business in Yod, for I was to investigate the country and the mood with regard to the Federation. To send back my recommendations as to how to proceed. The same was true for the Fanirs. Those back in Palarand weren’t certain how those lands would feel so soon after being liberated from cruel masters.

“We made it to Yod City for that night, but finding accommodation was quite difficult. We had a carriage drawn by two frayen and nine mounted armsmen so were treated with suspicion from citizens wary of authority figures. We were probably charged a premium for our beds which had to be spread over two Inns.

“My impression was that it is yet too soon for any organisation in that land. I started my inspection visit by going to what they had renamed as Yod Island, after invading it.

“Let me digress slightly here to explain how things developed. For ’twas a strange start to Yod’s expansionism. They first upset Pakmal, by taking over what was supposed to be a shared valley, the one in which flowed the river they promptly renamed to ‘The Yodan Watercourse’. They wanted the minerals available on the Pakmal side, presumably for forging weapons. Pakmal responded by massing an army on the narrow passage between the valley wall and the river Sirrel. We all, we lands up here above Yod, kept wary eyes out for any Yodan incursions but none came.

“Next the Yodans invaded parts of Forguland. They descended along the right bank of the river and took the two side valleys, not very big valleys admittedly. We now know they wanted to build embarkment wharves there but the terrain proved to be unsuitable. Nor would they be secret enough, far too many prying eyes for their comfort.

“So the Yodans turned their envious eyes in another direction. They studied the local geography and realised that they could establish a base further downstream, under the looming Boldan’s Rock. That area alongside the Sirrel would be protected along a lot of its length by the tributary river that comes down from the Ferenis uplands and runs through the valley floor almost parallel to the Great Valley wall, known to us as the Fer River. But in order to take this area, the Yodans would have to fight the armies of Ferenis. They needed to have undiluted strength to do that. But the probable thorn in their plans would be the armies of other upriver nations.

“So they started by invading the Lower Fanir Island. They feinted to invade along the Trade Route, Lower Fanir drew up its troops to counter such a thrust and depleted the defence of the island. The Yodans struck at night and drove out the defenders. The first attempt to retake it was bloodily repulsed and then the Yodans inflamed tempers by loudly pronouncing the name of the island to be the ‘Yodan Island’. Then the Yodans, keeping the defenders busy at the trade route end, invaded Lower Fanir at the narrowest point near to the border with Upper Fanir. They took the other defenders by surprise from behind and soon the Lower Fanir forces were forced to retire to their uplands up the narrow pass. Yod deliberately killed as many of the leaders as possible.

“Yod knew that they didn’t need to attack up the pass, they could just leave a force to keep those ones bottled up. They knew their great problem was going to be the forces of Upper Fanir who had now been mobilised. Nothing for it then, but to take Upper Fanir too.

“So they did. They sent representatives to me and told me that if we interfered they would block off all trade downriver. At that time, a large part of my forces were off helping in Upper Faral so my hands were tied to a certain extent. We thought that maybe Yod just wanted to expand, we had no inkling of their intentions to go downriver.

“Once both the Fanirs were secured, then the Yodans finalised their plans for the taking of that strip of Ferenis and from there invading Joth. We didn’t know that of course at the time. I was in discussions with Arch-Count Tofero in Pakmal and Graf Nuel in Zebrin trying to arrange a constant harassment of Yodan positions on my border and across the river. Anything that would keep some of their troops occupied, preventing them from being deployed elsewhere.

“And so Yod launched their final desperate attempt to capture or kill Palarand’s Baroness, as she was then. Coincidentally, and having already lost most of our shipping communications downriver, our forces gathered for a concentrated push across our small border river, the Fa, into Upper Fanir. Our objective was to push them back to beyond Faralan, but first to take the upper arm of that land and spread out from there. The coincidence was that, unknowingly, that was the day Princess Eriana and her Einnlanders took the fortress at Boldan’s Rock.

“I have mentioned all this is some detail to tie it all in with my later journey back here from Palarand. For what I saw and learnt in those subjugated countries was shocking on so many levels. All are naturally wary of large authoritarian units and they rejected my advances but they did not do so out of hand. I concur that they must spend first a great deal of time reorganising their own lands.

“However, both your lands are relatively stable, so I would urge you both to join the Federation as well.”

“This is all very sudden and I would require far more time to consider this before making the decision,” said the Grand Duke. “It seems to me ’twould be a great loss in our autonomy and I would be reduced to a mere puppet.”

“I must concur, Your Grace,” chipped in the Landgrave. He was about to say more, when Simbran held up a hand.

“I must confess that this exact argument was raised at that first Sirrel Congress ...” began the Margrave. He proceeded to faithfully present the arguments for and against that had been used at that downvalley event. He concluded by saying: “I would be remiss if I had not reported all this to you. But as Robanar insisted, there is to be no sense of being coerced. The enterprise shall be based on willing participation, on a mutual recognition of the advantages. We wish to prevent the situation as happened with Yod ever arising again, with anyone, Yod or another.”

This time, ’twas the Landgrave who answered first: “We thank you for being such a faithful messenger and advocate. But I require much more deliberation; time to think it all through, to formulate all the necessary questions that my brain is not agile enough to formulate right now.”

The Grand Duke smiled: “My colleague says it all extremely fluently. I have little to add, at this moment in time. I deem we would prefer to hang back for a while and observe how it all settles down.”

“Very well,” said Simbran, “I shall not press the point. Let us continue now as if you two remain … unfederated for the moment.” They all smiled at his choice of word.

“Now what does this mean for us? You should be aware that trading with us also means trading with the Federation! Minister Yussuf here shall be the Federation’s representative as well as that of Faralmark.”

Yussuf gulped as the full import suddenly dawned upon him. His agile brain whirred away and suddenly two questions popped into it.

“Then I must make haste to learn not only these new numbers, but this new way of measuring time too. I can foresee much confusion if we start talking with ambiguities.”

“Good thoughts, Minister. Now I deem we should start discussing trade between our nations. What do we have that you want and what do you have that we want?”

Smilingly, but also simultaneously, the two guest leaders said: “Wine from you!”

The Margrave replied with a grin, "I'll have some sent up immediately."

The Landgrave laughed and said, "We desire more than a bottle, I deem. Both of us want shiploads, Simbran!"

And so the trade talks commenced.

… … …

“Well? Did you find out anything more about our boats?”

“Dab my dear, that was not a priority today. At least not in the earlier bells, or hours as I must now learn to use.”

“Why was it not a priority? How else are we to survive? I told you yes...”

“Dab,” began Yussuf in a calm but very forceful way, “you need to sit down and listen for a change. I have MUCH to tell you and would wish that you reverted to when we worked so effectively together. You NEED to hear what I have to say. Now sit, concentrate on my words and do not interrupt. There will be great advantage to you if you do. You will not wish to miss this.”

“I don’t understand! Why are you… ?”

“No interruptions. Absolutely none.” Something in his tone made her sit and at long last shut her mouth.


up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Continuing Journey

Teek's picture

Ahh, the journey continues. The reality of the situation has been laid down to our new Craftmaster. He has a large job in front of him as his land joins a bigger one. Thank you for sharing with us today. I always love an Anmar story.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

a pattern?

I think I detect a pattern in the naming of your stories ...

And as always they are both entertaining and well wrought.

T

I suspect that the 4

I suspect that the 4 remaining ships have at least been prepped to fit steam engines and paddle wheel, hence part of the delay, one will be used for personal transport so he can investigate the developments. One of the first things when the ships return will be a very large order of telescopes for Semaphores

Mineral geography made clearer

Pakmal is the source of iron upriver mentioned in SEE when the possibility of cannons came up, isn't it? If so it is only a matter of time and finding coal in the region before a blast furnace is set up nearby, hopefully they heed the advice available from the steelworks and associated infrastructure up north. Without large supplies of scrap and electricity to power arc furnaces, and transport being limited as it is, a steelworks in the region isn't really a bad thing, if it, the mines and the coking plants are managed properly. Hopefully someone in the Federation's reach has access to Tungsten, Milsy and co are approaching the practical limits of what they can do with electricity without it.

A new perspective.

WillowD's picture

When I read SEE they talked about how the new changes would spread out to the other countries. It's nice to see a story where the changes are filtering in.

And I do think Dab makes a good comic relief character. I find it interesting that she used to be a competent administrator. I gather she has changed significantly since then.

not uncommon for those who

not uncommon for those who feel they have lost everything to act as though the world owes them, return to her the means and a competent administrator she may be again