Aftermath 5

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath part 5

I was waiting in the portal of a stadium, I was dressed in a blue and white Cheerleader uniform with an AF on my chest. I was an Air Force Academy Cheerleader. Surrounding me were other cheerleaders. Both male and female. Of course I was a female. We where waiting to run onto the field at The academy. In front of our football team. Our coach gave us a count down. 5-4-3-2-1 then signaled for us to go. I ran out into the Bright Colorado sunshine. The cheerleaders made a gauntlet.

All the girl raised and shook our pom-poms as the team ran out between the cheer squad. I took my place this time in front of the student sections. One of the requirements at the academy is all first year cadets must attend home games. We where playing the University of Wyoming. It was a close game but we won. 34-30. After the game and all the festivities. The girls went to change. As soon as I slipped off my skirt the dream began to fade into another.

I graduated top of my class. I had passed flight school, also with flying colors. I was multi engine and Jet qualified. I was sent to Keesler AFB, MS. For training on the C-130 then on the AC-130. Mom and Dad brought my Mustang for me to have something to get around with. I had a ball running all over.

I was tasked with co-pilot to take the training aircraft to Whiteman AFB, MO. During a hurricane. While the plains where safe, my mustang got totaled, it was tossed around like a toy. Once I got back I found it buried in Sand, upside down. Crying the dream once again changed.

This time I was at a Briefing, must be a pre-flight one. I was sitting in my green flight suit. I was a captain, so I was the co-pilot. I was taking notes as was most of the others of our flight crew. The pilot was Maj Alan Keys, whom I have flown with for about a year. We made a good team. The flight Briefing was a combat one. We where to provide close support of a Navy Seal team on the ground if needed.

Looking around my flight helmet was on the table next to me. It had my call sign on it, a nick name given to me in flight school by an instructor, Ice Queen. Due to the way I fly. One of the things I do when the tension rears it's ugly head. I turn cold as ice.

I noticed my reflection in the glass of one of the windows. My brown hair was in a short very cute and sexy style, Air Force regulation. As the Briefing ended, we actually bowed our heads as the Squadron Chaplin said a prayer. After using the restroom.

We headed to our waiting plane, Spectre 23. We carried our flight bag, our survival vest, both me, Alan, and both navigators had our flight case. The ammo guys where just finishing loading all our rounds for the flight. The crew chief as normal running all over the place making sure his plane was ready for the mission. He gave me and Alan a report on the status of the plane. Everything was ready for the mission.

I accompanied Alan on the walk around the bird. Checking everything from nose to tail. Wing tip to wing tip. We headed inside. Checking with the rest of our crew. Everyone gave the OK that everything was working. We climbed in the cockpit. The Navigators where also doing their checks. I stowed my gear, and took my seat. Pulling out the pre-flight checklist.

Putting my helmet on, we checked the comm system. After a radio check with flight control tower. I began going through the check list. Using my trademark light purple dry erase marker. I checked off each and every point on the check list. Thinking I never miss or skip a point on the checklist. I even have gotten one pilot in the hot seat for not completing the whole checklist once. I refused to take off.

Once completing the checklist. The Crew chief using the ground comm set. He stood about 20ft off our nose.

“Ready.” we heard over our headsets.

“Ready” Maj Keys said. “turning one.” He hit the starter on engine one. The left inboard engine began turning. As the Allison turboprop kicked to life.

“Roger, one up and purring” the flight chief said.

“Turning two” The Maj said. I watched out my side window as the inboard right engine began to turn. The engine purred to life.

“Two up” I said.

“Two up” was repeated by the crew chief. “ready, Three”

“Turning Three” Maj Keys said as he hit the start on three. It turned about three times then kicked to life.

“Last but not least, Ready Four” we heard the crew chief say.

“Turning Four,” I said. As I watched the outboard engine out my window turning. It too kicked to life. I throttled the engines one by one. All the time watching the gauges for anything out of sync.

“All engines alive and kicking, Spectre 23 ready.”

“Good luck and god speed” The crew chief ran to the nose and unhooked the ground headset, and pulled the front tire wheel chock. We saw him pull the chocks out past the wing tip. We knew that another of our ground crew had pulled the wheel chocks from the rear tires.

The Crew Chief waited for the all clear signal from the others. He saluted and motioned for us to taxi. Maj Keys returned the salute and throttled up the engines. We began rolling along the tarmac. Using the small steering wheel we maneuvered toward the taxiway to the edge of the runway.

“Flight Com, This is Spectre 23. Requesting departure on 14 left.” Major Keys said over the radio.

“Rodger, Spectre 23, You are cleared onto Runway 14 left. Good hunting.”

“ Spectre 23, Confirm Clear 14 Left. Spectre 23 out.”

We pulled on the very end of runway 14. Activating the toe brakes, we throttled up the engines.

“Brie give us a count down.” Maj Keys said over the internal com system.

As normal I began the count down. “five, four, three, two, and One. -----Go!”

“We are off like a dirty shirt” We heard Ssgt Briggs say. We took off down the runway.

“Everybody pick up their feet, so we can get off the ground.” I said. “I don't want to find anyone dragging their feet this time. Right Tina.”

“Capt, it was only one toe.” Lt Yeven answered. Lt Tina Yeven was our Fire control officer.

Once the ground speed was 180mph we pulled up and the bird lifted off on another mission. Thinking this was our 12th mission since we got in country. Only a few more and we will be done and going home.

“Gear up”, Maj Keys said.

I activated the landing gear switch. I heard the gear motors Bringing up the landing gear.
As soon as the light changed to green. “Landing gear up and locked”

“Rodger, Spectre 23. The tower called. “You are cleared to climb to 33000 flight level”

“Copy, Flight Comm, Spectre 23 cleared flight level 33000.” I said.

That dream abruptly stopped. I found myself sitting at the BX car sales office.

https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/system/files/post-8484-127950...

“So, have you made up your mind what color. You want on your new Explorer. Capt.”
the salesman asked.

Looking at the colors in the explorer brochure, “Lets go with the Pacific Green.”

“Everything is set, It will be waiting at Pensacola Ford when you get there.”

“When will it be built?” I asked.

“Once it is received by the factory it should be about 6 weeks. Then on to the truck to get shipped to FL.”

Smiling, “Thank you, Mr. Simmons.” I said as I stood and shook his hand.

The dream faded out. Thinking why was I having dreams or visions of the life of an Air Force Pilot. One that mimicked my life almost perfectly. But why? That I could figure out, was it something to do with the testing we where going through. Cryogenics was still fairly new science, The three of us where one of the first human test subjects.

All three of us where told of the dangers and the risk. I figure every time I go to the field I am risking my life. Entering a combat zone, my parachute could fail. I could break my leg, get hung up in a tree and choke to death. Once on the ground. Many things could happen I could be shot or captured.

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Getting very

Samantha Heart's picture

Very intresting keep it going.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Enjoy

This brief exposure to a military flight.

alissa