N21 1.2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 1.2

John glanced around, as if wanting another, possibly different, opinion.  Sadly, there was none.  Had anyone put forth a differing viewpoint, I would have lost my resolve as well.

The wheel was turned, and I heard a the air pressure adjust a bit more, then silence. John let out a loud sigh of relief, then spun the wheel quickly. He stopped it just before the dogs released, then made the final turn slowly. I couldn't blame him.  Apparently there was air on the other side, but what else?

The group around us drew close, as if to guard anyone, or anything from getting through to the rest of our people, but after the last few days, I didn't see that much could be done in that regard.  We had never been fighters.

The door finally swung open to reveal only darkness beyond. I'm not sure how he found the fortitude, but John stepped into the corridor and a little way to the right. We could hear him fumbling for a control in the dark, then dim lighting came on.

"Looks like they turned off our main power as well," he told me as I stepped out of the bay as well.  "Can you see if Marc Dodson is with us?  He helped design the electrical system in this station."

I stepped back over the lip of the hatch and held up my hands to signal the need for quiet.  "Is Marc Dodson here?" I called out.

A man who appeared to be anywhere between twenty-five and…  Well…  Who knows?  Each of us carried a complement of nanites in our bodies which were constantly making repairs from the inside out. We rarely thought of them, but we didn't age.  I suppose the term immortal would be used by some, but in reality we weren't.  There were injuries that could, and eventually would kill us.  Take the doctors who had been ejected out of the station, for example.

The man stepped up to me and introduced himself.  I gestured to the hatch, and he stepped through, looking for all the world like a man who expected some wild creature to grab him as food for its young.  I followed a bit more sure of myself.  

What they were doing made little sense to me, so I went back into the bay to see if I could help the men and women who were there.

Strangely, I realized there were no children present, but I realized Caesar probably figured he could remove the “faulty ideas” we had instilled in our children.

I began to circulate to see if anyone was injured.  Not that my help would be required, but it gave me something to do.  Not surprisingly there were no physical injuries.  Mental was another matter.  I gave what help I could, but I felt useless.  Anyone who had anything to do with the field of medicine had been jettisoned.

I’m not sure how long I worked my way through the people, but I began realizing the size of the bay, and the number of people here.  I had, at first, thought there were about four thousand. I now revised my estimate to twice that.  Perhaps three times.  We would have to make a count.

Partway through my circulation, John and Marc returned and gained everyone’s attention. I returned to the hatch, which was a considerable walk.  

“We have some news,” John said, “but I would like to establish a few things first.” Everyone waited expectantly.  He cleared his throat.  This wasn’t easy for him.  He indicated himself and me.  “We have been the leaders of our people for several years.  I see no reason to change that,” he stated.

I looked out at the sea of people.  Several nodded.  No one argued.

“I think we should make it a triumvirate now.”  He indicated Marc Dodson.  “Dr. Dodson understand’s this, I guess ship is the best term now, better than anyone else.  That will give us the care and maintenance of our home in him.”  He indicated himself, “Research,” then he pointed at me, “and the arts.”

Again, there was no argument.

“Our news, is strange.  The other bays are not empty.  They have been turned into what appears to be quarters for all of us and other necessities.  Twenty-nine bays.”  He shook his head, then continued. “I’m not sure why, but it appears that we weren’t meant to die out here.  This station is huge, and we have several farming facilities in hydroponic setups.  Another couple of bays appear to be stacked to the ceiling with crates of some of our belongings.”

“Caesar must have been planning this for awhile,” I commented.

“Yes, he was.”

Our populace spread out through the ship, each finding an apartment.  There were some married couples who took some of the larger ones, but most of us were single.  After we moved in, which was simply to claim an apartment, we started distributing our belongings.  I had several crates that contained instruments, and my cooking utensils, and another containing my clothing.  That was the extent.

Almost everything had been damaged, apparently quite deliberately.  I had a drum set that I unpacked, with every head destroyed.  My piano had several broken keys.  I had no strings on my guitars, and my brass instruments were dented to where they were unplayable.  I had learned bagpipes in my younger days, but I couldn’t find them initially.  At the bottom of one of my clothing box, under a kilt, I found them.  The bags blended perfectly with the tartan of the kilt, but they were destroyed.  The chanter was actually broken into three pieces and there was no reed in sight.  

Everyone found their clothing in shreds, and my cooking utensils, while usable, were all damaged.

Those were put to use first.  It would take awhile to get food from the hydroponic bays.  Thankfully some of our people were specialists in the field, so they were happy to get the massive project going.

My job was to take several of the ground level apartments and refurbish them into a cafe.  My normal gourmet restaurant was not to be.  At least not immediately.  At the bottom of each storage bay was crate after crate of cans of food.  Nothing special, but at least they were there.

And then one day, a week after we had set out on our voyage, I received a call to the control room.

I entered and looked around.  It wasn’t what I expected.  I suppose that from what I had seen of ancient television, I expected a circular room with stations all around the perimeter and a center seat where the commander sat.  There wasn’t even a navigation station that I could see, but then, this wasn’t a ship, but a station.  It was supposed to sit in orbit of our planet and not navigate anywhere.

“Ah, good.  You’re here,” John commented as I looked around, taking in what I could understand.

He grinned as I said, “Well, this isn’t what I expected.”

There was the sound of a throat being cleared, and John gestured to Marc Dodson.  “He has something to show us.”

We stepped up behind Mr. Dodson and he turned to the console in front of him.  He flipped a switch and one of the screens in front of him lit up.  It showed little except a red dot in the center.

“What am I looking at?” I asked.

“That’s the sun,” Dodson said.  Both John and I looked at him, incredulously.

“I’m not one for the sciences, but every painting or picture I’ve ever seen has the sun as yellow, or white.”

Dodson nodded, but before he could say anything, John asked, “Why is it so small?”

“Thankfully, both your questions can be answered at once.  Our speed.”

“To go this far in a week, we’d have to be travelling faster than light.” John shook his head.  “That’s impossible.”

Something was tickling at the back of my mind.  Something from my boyhood.  Suddenly I had it.  “Red shift!  We ARE going faster than light!” I exclaimed.

Marc  shook his head.  “John’s right.  That’s impossible.  What is actually happening, however, is even more confusing.”  He stood and stretched.  He’d been sitting there for quite some time, apparently.  “We are going incredibly fast, but not in excess of ‘C’.  What is happening is, in fact, red shift, but in theory, it can’t happen if you’re going faster than light.”

“Why?” I asked.  These guys were scientists.  I knew very little about astronomy.  My specialty was gastronomy.

“Well, if we were moving faster than light, how would lt be able to catch up to us?  Relativity says that since it started from our sun, it’s travelling at ‘C’ relative to there.  That’s why it’s shifted red to us.  The waves are coming slower.  By the same token, any light produced in N21 is travelling at ‘C’ relative to the station.  That’s why colors are normal here.”

I tried to wrap my head around it.  “Okay, but you haven’t answered John’s question.  How are we this far away from the sun in a week?”

Dodson looked first me, then John in the eye, and very deliberately said, “We’re not.”

“Huh?” I said, feeling like an idiot.

Marc sat down again and turned to another screen.  “Let me show you something else.” He punched a few buttons and the screen suddenly showed what appeared to be stars, moving stars.

“Those can’t be stars,” John seemed confused. “Asteroids? But so many visible doesn’t seem right.”

“As I said, John, we haven’t arrived here in a week.”

I had glanced back to the first screen, and the red dot seemed to be somewhat dimmer than it had been just a few moments before. “Uh, sorry to interrupt, gentlemen, but, uhm, where’s the sun going?”

Marc sighed.  “To get where we are, even at the speed of light, would take several hundred years.  In fact, it has taken several hundred years.”  He paused a moment and I saw John swallow hard.  Then he slowly nodded.  Dodson continued.  “Time slows down for you as you approach the speed of light.”

Again I remembered something I hadn’t thought of for a few hundred years, and I understood what was happening..  “Okay.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  We are moving so fast, and at such a slow apparent time, that in just a few minutes, we’ve seen our ship move several years.”

“Relative to Earth,” John stated.

Marc nodded, and I looked at the other screen.  “This screen showing what is on our side, is showing stars, not asteroids, but again, we are in a few minutes, seeing what would in actuality be several years… If we were still observing time normally.”

“Uhhhh….” Marc started.

“Yes,” John interrupted. “Let’s keep this simple,” he told Marc.  “No offense,” he added to me, almost as an afterthought.

“None taken,” I said as I stared back at the screen showing our home.  “Well, that pretty well decides turning around and going back,” i said quietly, “Even if we had the fuel to do it.”

Even as I spoke, one of those coincidences that will freak out even the most logical mind happened.  The constant low level vibration of our new home ceased.  We felt some machinery work from both sides of the station, and then everything was still.  A moment later, we saw a long tube accelerating away from the side of the station.  There appeared to be a thruster on the front and back of it, pushing it out into the void between stars.  It was moving at the same velocity that we were, but it was picking up speed.  Without even looking, we knew the same thing was happening on the other side.

“This sets our predicament in stone,” John’s voice was a monotone. “We now have no engines.”

“We will drift at this speed,” Marc said.  He pushed a button and the screen showing our sun changed again.  Now it showed lots of stars coming towards us.  As we watched I expected to see new ones appearing.  They didn’t.  They were thinning out.

“We’re going to leave the galaxy,” John observed.  “He turned to me.  I’m curious what you meant when you said we couldn’t turn back.”

“Simple,” I replied.  “The planet no longer exists as we knew it.  We have only aged a week, and our technology hasn’t grown.  Theirs has.  By over a thousand years.”

“More,” Marc said.  “We were accelerating until we lost the engines.”

None of us felt like speaking.  We just looked at the screen that held our future.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun story so far!

Keep up the great work!

Didn't follow Einstine's theory

BarbieLee's picture

Okay, neither have I. Einstein theory was nothing could go the speed of light. As the object gained speed it gained weight until it was too massive to go any faster. That was shot to pieces when science realized nutrinos traveled faster than light. The other conflict to Einstein's theory is if "light" is traveling at the speed of light it also would be too heavy to move.
Thus we are brought back to this story and the idea the government would waste all that money and energy to toss them out into deep space? Why eliminate the medical personnel if they all they need are nananites to keep them healthy?
Questions and no answers yet.
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Einstein's Theory

Rose's picture

I understand what you're saying. I realize there are glaring holes in my explanation, but then, in reality I'm a musician, not a scientist. Keep in mind, however that Dodson strongly said they're NOT traveling at light speed.

My biggest question, however, is what is their fuel that can accelerate them to such a great speed? (I'm really not interested in solving this problem for the story, as it's not really important -- or is it?)

Thanks for your comments. They're very much appreciated.

If you're interested in some of my technobabble, and like Star Trek, I have some on some of the fanfiction sites.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

The engines.

WillowD's picture

Why try to figure out how fuel could be used to get them to the speed of light if it's not important to the story? Either it is possible to the technology of the time or it is not.

What might be more important to the story is whether or not the scientists on board are seeing things that were not thought feasible to Earth's technology at the time. In other words, did the Earth's government decide to use them as guinea pigs in an experiment that was technically considered possible or are things happening that the Earth's government should not have been expected to be able to do?

Or is it?

Rose's picture

That was actually a "mysterious" question to keep people guessing. Lol.

Why the medical personnel were jettisoned is anybody's guess. Also, why the rest weren't just killed outright seems strange.

I have a few theories as to why things were done this way, but I guess we'll have to wait for future chapters to see why. ;-)

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

It's called

Suspension of belief :)

As far as the engines that propelled them to whatever fraction of C, be in 0.25C, 0.5 C or even 0.8C it is still slower than the speed of light relative to the sun. You did not explain what engines were used, the characters in the story may not ever know themselves?

So it doesn't matter other than we the readers know they were superior to what we use today. If pressed I would call them anti-matter engines. The technology is in its infancy today to make those, although creating and storing the anti matter is a bit difficult and expensive. it does have the energy to drive a ship up into the speeds the story suggests.

What does matter is that those engines had some serious thrust to have propelled them so far away form the sun in so little time. For the acceleration not to have turned everyone inside into mud puddles on the walls means the ship would have to have been equipped with some type of artificial gravity/inertial dampening system.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Artificial gravity

Rose's picture

was mentioned at some point.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

The medical personnel

WillowD's picture

I am also wondering why they spaced the medical personnel.

Regarding Einstein's theories, I do remember that special relativity involves objects that are not accelerating. General relativity involves objects that are accelerating. From what I remember, the theory several decades ago said that if you took a ship, accelerated it to a velocity near the speed of light, let it coast for a while, then applied an opposite acceleration to bring the ship back to "rest" relative to it's initial starting point, then it would appear that time had slowed down for a while on the ship. After a lot of thinking about it I remember I managed to grasp what was going on. But I can't remember the details anymore.

Question: Does it look to fellow readers like the ship is still moving away from Earth at near the speed of light?

out into the universe

reminds me of an old show called "space 1999" where the moon is blasted out of orbit and out of the solar system.

DogSig.png

Space 1999.

Rose's picture

Yes. Me too. In fact, the idea of the slower time for those on the station mirrors that show. It may very well be where my muse got the idea. :)

Also, a Star Trek novel from the '70s had a space station leave Earth's orbit and drift through the galaxy.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Insufficient Reactive Mass

Yes, well it is not absolutely mandatory that the stated physics are valid as long as the story progresses.

What next?

N21

I am no scientist but I am a long time SF reader. The engines could be ramscoop style using as fuel particles found in space, specifically hydrogen. I got that idea from Larry Niven although his never built up that speed they didn't need to carry fuel. They should maintain their speed till something slows them down? They are a living museum but heading out to emptiness it sounds like.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Ramscoop

Rose's picture

Cool! A ramscoop is an idea I didn't think of! I too am a long time SF reader, as well as watcher. I have been a Trekker since the first reruns of the original series (I was born just a couple of months before the 3rd season ended).

I remember watching all of the Six Million Dollar Man, as well as the Bionic Woman. Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. All of those.

They give you a wealth of information to draw on when you write science fiction.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Science!!!

Must have the bangs (exclamation points.)

Relativity came about when Einstein pondered about how light always goes at the same speed relative to the observer. I'm sure he had to really twist his mind in strange directions to figure out how it happened. After all, if we are on a train going 100 MPH, and are walking forward at 4 MPH, we are going 104 MPH relative to the ground. Unless we are walking to the back of the train. Then it's 96 MPH. But light doesn't work that way.

Anyhow, everything without mass (photons) always goes at the speed of light and can't slow down. Everything with mass is going at less than the speed of light. It's kinda like the old riddle of how many steps it takes to get to the wall if each steps takes you half way there. The answer is that you can't do it. No matter how close you are, the next step will only take you half way.

I could do some calculations to figure out how fast you have to be going to get to the edge of the galaxy in a week, but the answer would be something like 99.9% or 99.999% or 99.9999% of the speed of light. Really really freakishly fast.

And the acceleration it would take to do that? Something that would smash you into paste. I would have to look up the equations to figure out the acceleration, so I won't bother because it would be a freakishly big number that we really couldn't wrap our minds around.

How to do it? Someone mentioned an antimatter drive. Even with antimatter, it would take a huge amount. Another mentioned the Bussard Ramscoop Drive. Even that wouldn't pull it off. And there's still the issue of mashing the passengers into paste. Except that they have artificial gravity, which means that it can compensate if it's powerful enough.

A properly constructed blackhole drive might do it. If it's set up as a gravitational tractor, the passengers would never feel the acceleration.

Of course, if you have anti gravity, you aren't far from having an alcubrierre (warp) drive.

Anyhow, I'm still wondering why they ejected all of the medical people. I'm guessing that they programmed their nanites to do something unfortunate to them, and don't want the doctors reversing it.

But why did they eject them so far and so fast, anyhow? It's not like they'll be around to see the end of the experiment.

Or, maybe they will. After all, it seems that everyone will be able to live for as long as they don't get killed by, for example, having to reenter the atmosphere without a heat shield.

With nanites and, presumably, automated factories (run by nanites?) they have a post mortality and post scarcity society. Apparently, the powers that be are maintaining control by artificially creating scarcity. But all it would take is one small group of people to create an automatic factory that can make other automatic factories. Then, their artificial scarcity would go away and everyone would be free. After all, even Caesar or Big Brother can't control everyone without hiring minions. And if the minions don't need to do their minioning in order to have food, shelter, and entertainment, they aren't likely to be all that keen on minioning.

You are right.

Rose's picture

You and I have talked in the past when I was a visitor, and I've always enjoyed what you have to say.

As someone said above, it's suspension of belief. LOL. I didn't want to do any figures as I'm still recovering from having a tumor removed, so I went as far as I could. I had figured on approximately 90% the speed of light would be around where they were at. Of course the week it took them was only in their subjective time. It was actually thousands of years Earth time. I know my "facts" in this story don't fit what we know to be science, but hey... I'm not afraid of bending reality for the sake of a good story. Hollywood does it all the time. :-D

You seem to be on the right track as far as the purpose of getting rid of the medicos. All I can say is, keep reading and you'll see.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Got rid of the "trash" and maybe Earth?

Jamie Lee's picture

So the military just didn't leave the undesirables in Earth orbit, but pushed the station as close to C as it could be pushed out into the universe.

So they've travel for several hundred and have no way to learn what happened to the earth, not that they might care because of the way they were treated.

Because the station was sent out into the universe, and because the military type didn't care about them, how do they know they haven't been set on a course that slams the station into a planet or asteroid?

And because the engines have been automatically ejected, what's to slow their speed but a sudden stop against a solid object? Maybe another civilization discovers them and helps put the brakes on?

Others have feelings too.

Interesting thought

Rose's picture

I was concerned that my muse might have that in mind, but so far it doesn't seem so. Let's hope things continue this way.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary