Castle The Series - 0085 Jo, Jade, Alwydd, Brett, Russel, Gove, Alma

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00012020

YOU ARE JO I KNOW I’M KNOTT

JO’S (18) BABE SALLOW

9th of Chent Day 12

It was seven days since Jo had gone to the Keep with Billie and Stacey. She was of moderate intelligence, and Billie’s experience of birthing two days ago had maekt her even more frightened than she had been before. She was relieved she was at the Keep, and not still at the camp where she was sure Billie would have dien in childbirth. An experience which she had yet to go through, and was not looking forward to. She had a placement as an apprentice dairy crafter with Daisy, who specialised in cream and butter production, which she was going to start as soon as she was on her feet after her girl child was birtht. Daisy had telt her she had crafted soon after her birthings, and still had the crib that conveniently fitt into the rather small dairy affairs chamber, and a host of other things Jo would find useful and could gladly borrow.

Earlier in the day, at braekfast in the Refectory, she had met Knott, a twenty-eight year old Keep ingeniator,(1) who had asked her to eat with him. She had done so, and he had said, “You are Jo I know. I’m Knott.”

He had paused for breath and had been startled by her helpless giggles of laughter. When she had finally managed to spaek she spluttered out, “It was what you said, ‘You are Jo. I know I am Knott,’ it rhymed, and I too know you are not Jo.”

When he had realised what she was laughing at he joined in and said, “I could have phraest that better since I wisht to know you better with a view to seeing if we could reach agreement.”

Jo had stopped laughing and asked, “Are you serious?” Knott was a good-looking man of medium highth, compact build and he had dark wavy hair that reached his collar. Jo knew she would have to find a man eventually because life for any single parent with no family was difficult on Castle. She had thought the time to start looking was when she had regained her figure and looked attractive again. She still couldn’t understand to the men of the Folk at nine months pregnant she was as attractive as she would ever be. She thought her normally tall slender figure with its much more moderate bosom would give her more options and thought of herself as a good-looking young woman currently in an inflated body which maekt her look ridiculous.

“Very serious,” had replied Knott, “I wisht to ask before any other doet, but may hap I’m too late?” he said with a worried expression on his face.

“No, you’re not too late. I haven’t found a husband and had planned on looking after my baby was born.”

A relieved expression had come over Knott’s face at her reply, and he’d asked, “Will you consider me?”

Jo had thought for a few moments and replied, “I am not planning on making any decisions till after my baby is born and yes I shall consider you. Tell me of yourself.” Knott did so, and he appeared to Jo to be a somewhat shy man who had been driven to ask what he had from the loenth of having lost his wife the year before. They had never had children and had wished them badly. He thought she was pretty and her pregnancy maekt her even more so. Being telt men of the Folk thought pregnancy enhanced a woman’s looks was one thing. To be telt by a man of the Folk he considered her to be prettier because she was pregnant was another. Jo was taken aback by the reality of being so telt by Knott.

He had asked her, “Will you allow me to take you to the White Swan at seven thiseve for dinner, and we can listen to the music afterwards.” Knott was not in any way pushy, but he was not giving up either, and any way Jo felt he was a definite possibility so she had agreed.

It was not to be. Jo started birthing at two and was still in the early stages at six when Tabby apprentice midwife arrived. Tabby beckoned to Margæt who, along with Irena, was managing her birthing. Margæt went to have spaech with Tabby, and a minute later came back to Jo. “Knott is outside. He says he’s not yet your intendet, but wishes to be, and he’s here for you if you wish him. He’s worryt for you, but sayt he is prepaert to go away if you tell him to. Tabby tells me if you send him away he probably won’t go far, for his behaviour is that of a typical husband.” Jo had another set of contractions, and after they had passed she burst into tears. “Shall I tell him to go then?” Margæt asked.

“No, if he wants to be with me bring him here.” Margæt spake to Tabby who brought Knott back with her. He sat at the side of Jo, and held her hand.

Jo was still crying and she said, “I’m sorry about the White Swan, another time maybe?”

Margæt and Irena had become friends as well as colleagues and crafted together as oft as they could to share Castle and Earth knowledge and practice, and to both of them Knott’s behaviour was exactly that of a calm husband whose wife was having her first. They both knew Jo, as a result of Billie’s experience, was more tense and worried regards what she was undergoing than she would have been elsewise. Knott’s presence was a calming influence they both approven of. However, they were both surprised when Knott asked, “Will you marry me, Jo?”

Jo looked at Knott, and said, “You don’t give up do you, Knott? So, you’d better kiss me quickly before the next one.”

Knott did as he was telt and said, “You haven’t answert my question, Jo.”

Jo waited till she was in command of her body again, and replied, “Of course I shall. It looks as if it’s the only way I’m going to keep you.”

The couple continued to spaek of their future as Jo became nearer to birthing, which gave her something to consider other than her fear. For the three midwifes Knott’s presence had turned what could have been a difficult birthing into a normal first one. Knott was calmth itself all the way to the end, and Sallow, his daughter, was birtht just after three the following forenoon and was a little under three weights. Jo was tired after Sallow’s birth, but not exhausted, and the food Tabby brought for Knott he shared with her.

Knott telt her, “I shall take a few days off my crafting to be with you and Sallow which will be pleasant, but I admit I wish you to be there when my mum finds out I have a wife and daughter.”
Jo stuck her tongue out at him, and said, “Coward.”

Knott agreed, but said in self defence, “She never smackt your cotte(2) when you were little so you don’t know what you’re spaeking of. You go to sleep, and I’ll have some too because there are things I need to organise thisday, chambers, furniture and a crib just to start with.” He kissed Jo and Sallow again, and left.

After Knott had gone, Margæt smiled at Jo, and said, “I’m not surpriest he’s aflait of Alice, he was a naughty boy and probably had his cot smackt regularly. You sleep now. I’ll be back sometime nextday forenoon, and if you remind me I’ll tell you of some of the things your husband doet when he was little. Then when you have a little boy you’ll know what to expect. Otter and Luval are on night duty and one of them will look in on you from time to time.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00013010

A FAMILY FOUND

JADE (17) AND PHTHALEN (20)

10th of Chent Day 13

Phthalen(3) was worried. A long time over he had notified the Master at arms office of his desire for a wife. He accepted he was an average man, and his sister Willow was the intelligent and gifted one in the family. He was proud of her, but he didn’t feel inferior to her in any way, and the only thing he envied her for was she had an intendet. He had never had a heartfriend when he was young and had never found a woman he wished to marry. In his heart of hearts he knew he wished a woman who would need his love and protection and who would love him even when he maekt mistakes. He had been honest when he telt the Master at arms staff of this. He felt if he weren’t he would never find a wife, or worse he would find one and not be able to keep her. He had believed he could find a suitable wife from amongst the eight women who had joined Basil’s and Milligan’s offices and had been devastated to find he was too late and they had all reached agreement before he was aware of their existence.

Lastday, the Master at arms office had telt him of Jade, and she sounded to him a perfect wife. That she was pregnant maekt her all the more desirable. She needed love and care and a large family to support her, and he could provide all those. She needed a craft where she would be guided and supported, the Keep had many such, and his craft as a tanner kept him near the Keep most of the time. He was desperately hoping she was as he had been telt, and he would be the first to ask her to marry him. He had been telt of her limited intellectual abilities which didn’t bother him, and he had been also telt of her vulnerability and reluctance to trust any, especially men. He had decided he would take one of his sisters with him to convince her of his sincerity and to gain her trust. Yumalle(4) had no hesitation in helping her brother to find a wife. She knew he was a good man, and had the situations been reversed he would have done his best for her. That was why the pair of them were going to meet Stonechat in a light vehicle pulled by a pair of semi heavy horses, but still Phthalen worried.

They arrived in the mid-afternoon and, as instructed by Willow, went first to see Stonechat and telt her why they were there and of the kind of woman Phthalen was looking for. Stonechat telt Phthalen and Yumalle more of Jade and agreed Jade and Phthalen would be a good match for each other. She telt them their best approach was for Yumalle to have spaech with Jade, and for her to introduce the idea of marriage to her brother when it became appropriate.

They had taken Stonechat’s advice, and Yumalle had initially spaken with Jade of potential crafts she could follow after her babe was birtht. Jade had asked her what did she do, and Yumalle had telt her she kept goats for their hair and their milk. Jade had been interested in the goats, and she had asked, “Are they friendly? Do they bite?” Yumalle had telt her of Sisky who had just birtht twin nannies and more of her own goats as opposed to goats in general. She had telt her how goats oft had twins, and the milk they gave maekt tasty cheese. She didn’t mention whilst most nanny kids were kept for milking, most billy kids were raised as bens(5) for meat. Too, she didn’t mention the stink associated with entire billy goats. Jade was particularly interested in the kids and said, “It sounds as if it would be enjoyable to work with them. I know I have to find something to do, and I think I’d like to work with goats.”

Yumalle had telt her she would like a helper, and Jade would be well come. She then asked, “How are you going to manage a craft and your babe?”

“I don’t know,” Jade replied. “The Folk here keep telling me I need a husband and a family. I’d like to be married, and to be in a family that loved me, but I struggle learning things, and I don’t know any one.”

Yumalle recognising an almost perfect opening said, “My brother wishes a wife, and we are a big family. Would you like to meet him?”

“Is he nice?” Jade asked, and then quickly said, “I don’t like being shouted at.”

“Yes, he’s nice, he bringen me here because I askt him to, and he never shouts.”

Jade thought hard for half a minute or so, and said, “Yes, but only if he’s nice. What’s his name?”

“He’s Phthalen, and I can go for him now if you like?”

“Will he like me?”

Yumalle who thought Jade, who was good-looking and heavily pregnant, would definitely attract her brother mostly because she needed care and love, rather than because of her looks and the obvious attraction of her pregnancy, replied, “Yes, he’ll like you. I’ll go for him and you can learn for yourself.”

Before Jade had any opportunity to respond Yumalle went for Phthalen. She telt him, “Jade is aught but intelligent, and she will need a lot of love and care and she’s pretty too. She will suit you, and you will come to love her quickly. She likes the idea of crafting with goats, so may hap she can craft with me rather than in the Keep. Go and see her, she’s expecting you. I have telt her you are nice and don’t shout, which worries her.”

Both Jade and Phthalen were nervous to begin with, but to his surprise she asked him, “Do you like me enough to marry me, so they won’t take my little boy away?”

Phthalen not at all sure what the second half of the question meant naytheless replied, “I’d like to marry you if you would come to love me. I wish to love you.” Thinking of what Yumalle had said, he continued, “You could craft with my sister with the goats if you’d like?”

Jade, who was uest to being telt what to do, felt relief at the complications in her life beginning to be dealt with for her, replied, “Yes, I should like that.”

“If we agree to be marryt then we are marryt. Would you like that?” Phthalen asked.

“Yes,” No more, just, “Yes.”

“Then we are marryt, and I should like to kiss you. May I?”

Thinking Jade would be reluctant Phthalen had accepted after agreement he would in all probability have to woo his wife, but he was surprised to hear her say, “Yes, and can we sleep in the same bed like married people do?”

The kiss they shared was enjoyed by both, and he telt her, “We shall always sleep in the same bed.”

Jade asked anxiously again, “They won’t take my little boy away now will they?”

Phthalen thinking he would have to discuss this with Stonechat and discover what was behind her question, replied, “You are my wife. None is taking any of my children any where.”

The idea her children were Phthalen’s children too and his children couldn’t be taken away settled Jade, and she asked him when could they go home. That he had a home to take her to was never in doubt in her mind, and Phthalen telt her, “We shall go home nextday. I shall have to arrange for a suite of chambers for us, for I only have a single chamber at present which is not appropriate for a marryt couple expecting a family, but there are plenty available. Would you like a sea view or a view over the plain towards the hills?”

It was the first time any had ever asked Jade a question of what she considered to be of such import, and she fell in love in that instant with Phthalen. “Could we live looking at the hills please? The sea makes me nervous.”

“Certainly. And I shall sleep in the same bed as you thisnight too.” Jade was delighted with that, and Phthalen was happy he had managed to meet Jade and marry her before any other seeking a wife had found her. Intelligent she wasn’t, but she needed him, and he needed a wife who needed him.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00013020

THE INFORMAL DANCE

SPEARMINT (10) AND ALWYDD (8)

10th of Chent Day 13

Jed and Warbler went to various friends’ dwellings starting at Outgangside and it was a group of near twenty youngsters who arrived at the Great Hall in time for the informal dance. As usual there was a kitchener serving drinks from a limited range of fruit juices, wines, beers and brandy though it were mostly adults drinking beer or brandy. There were always a number of elders watching the dancers and gossiping. Making sure nothing untoward occurred and taking part in the odd slower dance was an enjoyable way for them to spend an eve and the Master at arms office ensured there were always enough of them to keep the high spirited youngsters in check. Later in the eve, usually at ten, the kitchens would send a few trolleys with snacks and probably pasties for the dancers to enjoy for supper. The first musicians were a group of young flautists and fiddil players. “We’re playing for an hour and then some others will play. We shall focus on dance music though Luval is going to sing at some point,” Seriousth telt the dancers.

Alwydd had asked Spearmint to go to the dance with him and she had kissed his cheek when she said yes. Both were looking forward to further intimacy. Spearmint had been searching hard for a heartfriend and was almost convinced that Alwydd was what she was seeking. She knew the events of the next hour would make her mind up for her and doubted that she would be disappointed. Her menarche had occurred shortly after her elder sister’s and her hormones maekt her temperament far more mercurial. She was subject to more extreme and more frequent rages and crying jags than her sister, but for most of the lune she was much more placid. Her granny had telt her that her moods swings, which frightened her, would eventually settle down. She’d also said that it was known that there was something in a man’s essence that stabilised a woman’s lunetimes though the effect was not as great as having had her first babe.

Warbler had explained to Spearmint concerning Jed’s worries regarding his family and she’d agreed to treat Warbler and Jed as just another couple of dancers. Alwydd had seen Jed dancing with Warbler and a lot of other girls and he’d danced with Warbler a couple of times. By the end of the evening he’d realised Jed was interested in Warbler the way he was in Spearmint, but that was all.

Though Spearmint had decided with her sister long over that intimacy with any else than a heartfriend was pointless, she was far more desirous of intimacy than her sister. They’d been dancing for a couple of hours when she’d bluntly telt Alwydd, “I’m looking for a heartfriend, Alwydd, and it would make me glad if it were you.” Alwydd had sought explanation which Spearmint had given him in a far more explicit manner than her sister had explained to Jed.

“If we are caught doing those sorts of things what will happen, Spearmint? I’m not unwilling, but my life for the first time is good here, and I don’t wish to mess it up right at the beginning.”

“It’s catcht, not cort, and nothing will happen. It’s normal and acceptable for heartfriends to be intimate. Not may hap for very young ones, but none will consider it to be other than of our concern. Have I a heartfriend Alwydd? May I persuade you with a kiss?” Alwydd nodded and Spearmint’s kiss rendered him spaechless. She’d never kissed a boy like that before, but she’d paid careful attention to what the older girls had said concerning kissing with tongues. Eventually, with her hand inside his shirt, Spearmint asked, “Have I a heartfriend, Alwydd?” Alwydd just nodded in bemusement. “Have I, Alwydd?”

Eventually he replied, “Yes. Yes you do. That was amazing, Spearmint. I need to sit down with a glass of fruit juice after that. How about you?”

“A glass of the rosé please. Are you sure you wouldn’t like a brandy. I know you drink it with your dad and brothers.” They went for their drinks and Alwydd’s nerves were settled by the brandy that Spearmint ordered for him enough to ask for explanations of being heartfrienden whilst they sat out a few dances. Spearmint’s explanations continued when they resumed dancing. Now Spearmint had what she’d been so desperate to acquire she started to think her situation through. She had a heartfriend who had a craft in a huntsman’s squad, a heartfriend with more status than she had ever considered possible for her to acquire. Alwydd was big for his age, good looking and quiet, kind and far less intense than Jed, who she instinctively knew was dangerous even without what she knew of events regarding Otday. She liked Jed, and though she knew he suited her sister perfectly, she knew she couldn’t live her life that close to any like Jed. Of more importance to her was Alwydd’s obviously male reactions to her femininity and intimacy. She’d initially considered that due to his age she may have had to wait till he became mature enough to be interested in her in the way she desired.

However, now she knew she had a heartfriend of sufficient maturity, Spearmint wanted to make up the time she’d loes and she wanted Alwydd’s hands within her blouse and knickers thatnight, even if she had to put them there herself. Likewise she decided she wanted to exercise her leaçe(6) to the full with her hands on Alwydd. Despite her granny’s words concerning a man’s essence, she had no intention of making love till she and Alwydd were better acquainted, but considered she would certainly be doing so within the quarter year, so she intended to go to the herbals for the herbs to prevent conception nextday just in case it happened unexpectedly. Whatever happened Spearmint was prepared to live with the consequences and she’d just gladly taekt a major step on her way to adult womanhood.

Warbler had watched her sister at the dance and could read her face and body language and was not happy that her younger sister was making so much more progress with Alwydd than she was making with Jed. It never occurred to her that Spearmint was prepared to take much greater chances than herself, but having seen them kissing it elevated kissing considerably on her agenda.

Spearmint and Alwydd left when the dance had half an hour to go and she taekt him up to the ramparts where she indulged herself and her heartfriend in all the activities she had planned. With her encouragement and guidance Alwydd taekt her to a far more profound experience than she had ever given herself, and though she knew far more of boys than he knew of girls her pleasure in his experience was as unexpected as it was satisfying. To her joy, Alwydd was aggressively masculine as he kissed her good night outside her auntie’s chambers and she was fast asleep dreaming of lovemaking and babes when her sister returned to their shared room.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00014010

A PICKAXE THROUGH HIS HEAD

ARDOL MINERS BRETT (17) AND RUSSEL (20)

11th of Chent Day 14

Master miner Barleycorn had discussed with his husband of many years, Crossbill the crew cook, the events of lastday. A tenner since they had left the Keep with a crew of thirty-one miners and four reluctants: seventeen year old Brett, eighteen year old Lizo, twenty year old Russell and twenty-four year old Hendrix. It had been clear to the entire crew Lizo, Russell and Hendrix had been trying to succeed as future Folk, even if they were not willing to spend the rest of their lifes as miners. Brett was different, he didn’t do his share of work in his gang and was a sullen and uncoöperative crafter. He was not liekt by the miners, and all three of the other incomers had telt Barleycorn they did not wish to craft with him in order to avoid being considered to be like him.

Barleycorn had been planning on killing Brett out of hand to solve the problem. However, Crossbill asked him not to and to give Brett a further chance. Barleycorn knew himself for a hard and intolerant man, and he respected his husband’s tolerance knowing it was more in keeping with the Way than his own impatience and lack of forbearance, so he stayed his knife hand.

It had all come to naught. During a game of sanno, a gambling game the crew played for relaxation, which, even though they only played for tallies,(7) was taken very seriously as it required considerable intellectual ability and psychological insight to be a successful player. Brett had clearly maekt an illegal move, whether accidentally or deliberately was never determined, in front of a third of the crew, and when Russell had pointed it out to him Brett had attacked him with his work knife. Deputy mine Master Monkshood, seeing Russell weaponless had threwn him a pickaxe and shouted, “He’ll kill you if you don’t stop him.”

Brett had lunged at Russell with his work knife, and Russell in self defence had braeken his arm with the pickaxe. Russell expecting the matter to be over had walked away, but Brett had picked his knife up off the floor of the mess hall with his left hand and attacked Russell from behind. Warned by the shouts of the crew Russell turned, and Brett had opened a foot long diagonal cut over his ribs. Russell had, as he admitted later, lost control, and had gone for the kill. What he said afterwards was, “I felt ice-cold and my thoughts were as clear as crystal. I didn’t have any worries of the consequences, for he was trying to kill me and no matter what happened as a result of what I did it had to be better than being dead. It were as if things were happening in slow motion, and I knew I was going to kill the lowlife or die in the attempt.” He had braeken Brett’s other arm with the pickaxe and then caltly and deliberately put the point of the pickaxe through his skull. Crossbill had uest fifty-seven stitches to sew Russell’s wiedth deep wound which though it had run obliquely over his entire ribcage fortunately had not cut into his abdomen. Brett was dead and none was saddent by his deadth.

Crossbill telt Barleycorn that eve in bed, “You givn him every chance, Love, and the matter is endet. I am glad you stayt your hand and it happent the way it doet. As it is you have no personal guilt to deal with. He attackt Russell for no good reason, and had he not he would still be alive, so his deadth is due to his own actions. All you have to do is write it in the log and try to help Russell come to terms with his guilt which is inevitable, but also without reason.”

Barleycorn had fallen in love with Crossbill decades over for his ability to see the truth, and the best, in every person and situation, no matter how difficult. Crossbill had enabled him to be a much better man and live with himself far better than he had ever managed before meeting him. He had kissed his husband and said, “You are as usual correct, my love, and I shall act accordingly.”

The following forenoon Barleycorn had been going to instruct the crew to bury Brett, but Eyrie had informed him with an expression of revulsion on her face, “Whelk and I dragt his carcass out of camp lasteve, and it has disappeart. Presumably something out there has stomach enough to eat him, lothsome as he was.” Barleycorn expressed his gratitude to her. He had known how sixteen year old Eyrie felt towards Brett for some time. He had been informed she, thinking Brett believed her to be unintendet, had telt him of her intendet, assuming that would stop his approaches, which were coarse and disgusted her, but it had maekt no difference to him because he had seen himself as irresistible to women and had not been in the least interested whether she thought of herself as another man’s woman or no.

After Brett’s deadth the camp had been a much happier place, and the three remaining incomers settled down and became incorporated into the Folk totally, even if not as miners. A tenner before returning to the Keep Barleycorn had spaken with them together, and they had all admitted they had enjoyed their time with the crew after Brett had dien, but they did not wish to continue as miners. Barleycorn had telt them he would give good report of them to the Master at arms, and he wished them a successful future.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00014020

NOT SAFE WITH CHILDREN

GOVE

11th of Chent Day 14

Gilla had a good idea as to why Faarl had asked to see her privately, she had heard of Gove from a number of sources, and had been expecting Faarl to seek her out for a couple of lunes. She was surprised it had taken him so long. She was a senior healer with particular skills in dealing with the elderly and was supervising the care to and assimilation of the elderly in the recent incursion. She could see Faarl was unhappy, but determined to spaek of the problem. She suspected he had come to a conclusion and was seeking some level of assistance in the matter.

“It’s concerning my father, Gove,” he had said. Gilla had nodded gravely, and Faarl continued, “since my mother, Laceflower’s, deadth and his illth, he has changt, and he’s no longer my father. We can no longer leave him alone with the children. He has developt an unnatural interest in them and tryt to take them to his bed. We can protect ours, but what of other children? He is not willing to go to the new holding with us, and it is impossible to ensure he is under someone’s eyes at all times. Eyebright and I can do no more and we can’t shirk our responsibility for what he may do to the children of others. We’ve spaken at whilth to our kinsfolk, and all are agreen I as his eldest must spaek to you concerning his passing. All are agreen they do not willen it sayt the clan has shirken its responsibilities to the Folk.” Faarl had spaken the last quietly and haltingly, and tears were running down his cheeks.

Gilla said in serious but calm tones. “I understand, and this matter is of course difficult for you, Eyebright and your kinsfolk. I have hearet a little of the matter and I was expecting you. The healers can take care of the matter for you, or we can assist you to take care of the matter yourself. We do appreciate you are aware the matter has to be taken care of and it is hurtful for you and yours.”

Her dispassionate but empathetic and understanding response had steadied Faarl, and he said with a trace of pride in his voice, “The clan has always dealt with its own, and shall continue to do so, Mistress, but we should appreciate some assistance in the matter of the means. He has been a good husband and father who has contributet more than his share to the weäl of the clan. The loss of my mother has hurt him beyond hurt, and we should have his passing easen with dignity and no more hurt. This I ask not just for myself and Eyebright but in the name of the clan.”

Gilla acknowledged his request saying, “There is a preparation you may give him in a drink, and he will fade away in his sleep. I shall give you enough and no more. You must use it all at once and make sure the bottle is tightly washt after use before returning it to us. It is dangerous and the empty bottle must be returnt. They are maekt specially for us and only uest to contain this particular preparation.”

Faarl with tears in his eyes again said, “Gratitude, Mistress Gilla, from myself and all of mine. I shall see to it myself. It is the least I can do for him. I should hate for the memory folk had of him to be of him diminisht after the deadth of my mother.”

Gilla said, “I shall bring the preparation to you later. I shall only give it to you. There will only be a spoonful. Though tasteless it is strong, and I shall leave the exact details to you. Please keep it with you at all times till you have uest it. It would be a tragedy if there were to be an accident.”

“Gratitude, Mistress.”

Faarl left, and Gilla was left with her thoughts. Life was hard sometimes, but as long as the Folk had the Way to help them measure up to its demands it was worth living. She went to measure out the small dose that contained a merciful release for Gove, and a safer life for the young.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00014030

HE’S JUST WORRIED ABOUT ME AND THE BABE

ALMA’S BABE AXX

11th of Chent Day 14

Alma had been surprised how quickly she had settled into marriage with Allan. Allan having had no expectations of marriage accepted their current contentment as normal. In the last few days of her pregnancy Alma was very much focussed on her child, who she knew was a boy, and spent her time making babe clothes which she enjoyed doing even though she tended to daydream whilst doing it. Marriage had in a short time matured Allan. The huntsmen he crafted with and his relatives, particularly his mother, approven. He had grown up. His mother had been a little upset when Alma had called her Daisy, but when Alma had explained whence she came to have called her Mum would have been considered by some mother in laws to be both presumptuous and bad mannered and she was happy to call her Mum and be considered as a daughter as opposed to a daughter in law, all had been resolved happily. In law was a term of no usage, and not understood, by most of the Folk. Family, kin and clan were just that to them, whether by blood, agreement or adoption maekt no difference.

When Daisy and Alma had been discussing names for her son Alma had said, “I want a Folk name, but I don’t know many.” Allan’s father had dien when he had been a boy, and the most significant male influence in his life had been his maternal grandfather Axx. Allan later had tentatively suggested Axx after his grandfa.(8) Alma who knew of the relationship Allan had had with his granddad who had dien three years over thought it perfect. Though she had come to an appreciation of the way the Folk regarded adoption, she’d still had residual worries her son was not of Allan’s fathering, and naming him after Allan’s grandfa went a long way to settling those worries.

Alma started birthing after braekfast, and Suki the midwife had arrived shortly afterwards with Tull her husband and Daisy. Tull like Allan was a hunter acting as a guardian during the initial tenners of the incursion, but he was ten years older than Allan, and his rôle in the proceedings was as Suki explained to Allan, “To take you out from under my feet.”

Tull taekt Allan’s arm saying, “Allan there is naught here a man can do. Let’s go and flight a few arrows at the butts(9) and keep you busy. The women will let you know as soon as you should be here.”

Reluctantly Allan followed Tull out and Suki turned to Daisy when the men had gone and said, “Every midwife needs a man to stop the father from fretting.”

Daisy laught and said, “I know, they’re much worse to deal with than birthing women.”

Alma smiled and said, “He’s worried for me and the babe, and I’d rather that than he didn’t care. You will bring him back nearer the time won’t you? I don’t want him feeling guilty due to being unable to support me even if there is nothing he can do.”

Daisy kissed her and said, “You’re a good wife, Alma, and I’ll make sure he’s here for you when it is meet, Daughter.” Things proceeded as Suki and Daisy, who’d had five children, considered to be normal for a first child, and Daisy sent a runner to find her son after nine that eve. Axx was birtht as one day became the next. It was now the twelfth of Chent, and all had gone safely. Alma was tired, but had never been so happy, Axx was a big babe at a shade over four weights and was nursing strongly.

Allan was overcome watching his son nurse, and Suki left after all that was necessary had been done saying, “I’ll leave you in the care of your mum, but I’ll be back in the late forenoon.”

Daisy left saying, “I’ll leave you alone for a little, and make some leaf and something for you to eat, Allan. Would you like a biscuit or something with your leaf, Daughter?”

Alma started to say no, then changed her mind and said, “There is a fruit loaf I baked lastday, or maybe it’s lastdaysince now, a thin slice with a little butter would be very nice please, Mother.” Daisy left them, and when she returned Allan was holding Almaʼs hand who was asleep.

“She maekt me promise to awaken her for the fruit loaf, Mother.”

Alma awoke at the sound of his voice, and looking at her son asleep in the crib at the side of her said, “I’ll sleep tight thisnight.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Ingeniator, origin of engineer (civil).
2 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft.
3 Phthalen, pronounced Talen as in T + Allen, (talɛn).
4 Yumalle, pronounced You + mar + lay, (ju:marlei).
5 Ben, a castrated billy goat.
6 Leaçe, a right to intimacy reserved to heartfriends, intendeds and agreäns.
7 Tallies, method of keeping score in games instead of gambling for tokens.
8 Grandfa, specifically maternal grandfather.
9 Butts, place where archery is practised.

up
22 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos