New Tale to Tell Chapter 2: Introductions

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 2
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

From the corner of his eye he can see the girl tighten up and hide her nose in the textbook. Sniffs a moment later tell him the words had their intended effect. A sound he's become too familiar with these past months. He makes a mental note to find out who the voice belongs to.

~o~O~o~

CHAPTER 2. INTRODUCTIONS

It takes the first period for Jonathan to complete paperwork. One of the firm's attorneys joined him to avoid answering the awkward questions. As far as the school knows he is just another transfer whose parents are either too busy or too disinterested to be bothered with something as mundane as their child’s school enrollment.

With the paperwork completed an aide gave him his schedule, a map and directions to his next class, AP History, with Ms. Linda Hayes. Arriving the thirty-something brunette assigns him a vacant seat in the front row.

“Welcome Jonathan. It's nice to have you. Why don't you stand up and tell the class a little about yourself?”

Without hesitation he flatly replies, “No thank you ma'am. I will not.”

Ms. Hayes takes in his matter of fact tone, the emotionless look of his face, the pained look in his eyes, and decides not to push the subject thinking, “Great! Another frigging problem child.”

“Perhaps another time. Class turn to chapter 4. Jonathan if you have any questions you can see me after class or ask one of the other students.” She indicates a dark haired girl sitting next to him, ”Shelby takes excellent notes. Perhaps she would be willing to share?”

The girl blushes when he glances her way. Unthinking, he looks again. Her hair is black as a Raven’s wing, with the same silky shimmer. Her eyes a deep grey-green behind square rimmed glasses and a creamy white complexion. “Striking” is the word that comes to his mind. Realizing what he’s doing, the boy turns back to his notes silently angry with himself for the lapse. He isn't allowed. He's a bad person and to expose anyone is wrong. He spends the rest of class buried in the textbook. When called upon his answers are prompt, to the point and correct.

For her part, the girl Shelby spends class contemplating the boy seated next to her. He is platinum blonde, half a head taller than her five feet four inches, maybe 150 lbs, built like a swimmer. Deep hazel eyes, broad shoulders and oh-so smooth skin. There isn't any sign of stubble on his face and the hair on his arms is almost non-existent. She has never liked hairy boys. Her first impression is he’s quite handsome with a quiet no nonsense way about him. And… something more.

During self study she offers her notes. “You can copy them after school or I can email them to you.”

Jonathan looks at the dark haired girl. He's about to refuse her offer but hesitates...momentarily lost in the grey-green depths of her gaze. Again the realization of what’s happening startles him and he looks away.

From nowhere behind them a low voice “See! Not even the new kid wants anything to do with a freak!”

Out of the corner of his eye he can see the girl tighten up and hide her nose in the textbook. Sniffs a moment later tell him the words had the intended effect. A sound he's become too familiar with these past months. He makes a mental note to find out who the voice belongs to.

Despite the insult Shelby cannot escape the memory of the look from the new boy when their eyes met. The feelings triggered by his gaze... By the end of class she decides to put a smile on her face and speak to him. She could offer her notes again or advice on how to find his next class. Something. When the bell rings she looks over to his desk only to find it empty. She glances around to see his back as it exits the classroom. Grabbing her bag she hurries out the door to follow, and just like that he’s gone. Lost amongst the throngs of students traversing the halls.

Disappointed the girl wanders to the next period’s class. By the time the bell rings she's already seated with her books out, distracted but ready for another droning lecture. “Class we have a new student. Jonathan Moorland, would you stand up and tell us about yourself?”

He is sitting behind and to her left. “No thank you sir. I will not.” The same flat refusal. Not disrespectful but not friendly either.

“Well I think it rather rude of you. But, you have to live with it. Class turn to page 36 in your textbooks.” Shelby can hardly concentrate on the lecture. The excitement of having him in two classes is overwhelming.

Again after class he is gone. Walking to her next class she holds out hope… YES! He is there. She can hardly think straight. “Miss Curtis…? Shelby? Shelby Curtis! Pay attention!”

“Yes ma’am. I’m sorry ma’am”

“What is the answer to question number 12?...”

To her delight they share all but one class and study hall together. She has drama while he has Computer Aided Design. She knows because both are in the liberal arts wing just a few doors apart. The girl finds herself excited that she will get to see him throughout the day.

Her bonus comes the following morning in homeroom. When she arrives he is already there studying. She takes her seat near him and attempts to study, but the excitement prevents her from focusing on the task. Shelby doesn’t even see the words in the textbook.

With each passing day she becomes more enthralled with Jonathan. She learns his habits, the way he wears his clothes, always neat but in a stylish casual way. How he is able to write with either hand. The way he runs his fingers through his hair when he is thinking out a calculus problem. How polite he is. Even what he drives. She especially likes the way he smiles when their eyes meet. Warm, kind, even interested. She doesn't see it when other girls approach him. Of course it could just be the jealousy she feels when other girls show interest in him. Still, when he isn't looking at her she can see pain behind his eyes. A loneliness, where in her mind there shouldn't be. She knows the look.

Unconsciously she has begun tracking his movements around school. It isn't hard since they share many of the same choices of where to spend time. It's mostly the library before and after school for homework and study. For Shelby it's because she's waiting for her mother to pick her up. For him... Jonathan just doesn't want to go home. Several times she notices he has no homework but just sits and stares out a window. It’s at these times he seems most lonely, most sad, most in pain.

By week four she had his patterns memorized. So when Shelby notes a sudden change in his habits she cannot resist her own desire to find out why. Twice a week he is absent from the library after school but his car remains in the parking lot when she is picked up by her mother.

On one such day she sees him leaving class but instead of her rushing to the library to be “casually” there when he arrives, she discreetly follows him. Jonathan wanders quietly towards the arts center and turns into the music wing. She loses him in the practice studios hallway. Puzzled she stops to consider the options. While attempting to work out where he’s gone the faint sounds of a piano begins to play. It's a song she has heard before, NO! Not a song. A lullaby, a melody she remembers from when she was little. Her mother would hum it to her. What she hears now is much longer, broader and with more depth. She stops outside the room it's coming from, one of the practice studios for students to use in private. She listens for several minutes and wonders if it could be… the music falters and ceases followed by a slam and what she thinks is soft sobbing.

After a few minutes the crying fades and is replaced by movement. Shelby hurries around the corner out of sight. Hearing a door open and close so she turns back for a peek at whoever it is. She’s just in time to see Jonathan exit the music wing possibly going to the library. It's time to head there to await her mother. When she arrives he’s gone.

She follows him several more times narrowly avoiding being caught by him once. Just in time she ducked around a corner before he sees her. Her plan today is to go into the studio next to his and press her ear to the wall. She hears the door to his studio open then softly click close.

Just as she’s about to emerge from concealment, “You know it's not polite to spy on people Shelby.”

The girl jumps at the voice from behind her. “Oh crap! Mrs. Marks, you scared me.”

“Would you care to tell me why you are spying on that young man?” She asks with a raised eyebrow. Mrs. Lisa Marks is the school's music director and assistant drama coach. Attractive, just short of beautiful,strawberry blonde, fair skinned, tall and well endowed. With a quick mind and love of the arts, she thinks of Shelby as one of her most cherished drama students. The girl is even a member of the community theater troupe she directs. Today Lisa has a pretty good idea what the young lady is up to.

“Well...Um it’s like this...I uh… well… Shit. I don't have a good answer, Mrs. Marks.”

Lisa ignores the profanity, “I understand.” She smiles at the girl, “He is rather cute. Maybe you should use the room next to the one he’s in. That way you could spy on him undisturbed.”

“Really? You’ll let me do that?”

“Not a chance. I’ve a better idea, why don’t you come help me with something in my office.”

“But Mrs. Mark's…”

“No buts Shelby. Come along.” They walk down the hall into the music director's office. Shelby’s mood sinks. Mrs. Mark's closes the door. “OK. How about you arrange these sheets by instrument for me? While you're doing that I'll put on something for us to listen to.” Shelby is about to object when the rooms speakers start playing. The sound is the same lullaby she heard on the first day she followed Jonathan. When she looks at Mrs. Marks the woman is grinning slyly. “I get all the stations on this thing." She points to her computer which is running an app that says Music Practice Studios. Room 3: Baby Grand is highlighted.

“Why! You're as bad as I am Mrs. Marks.” Shelby says with mock sarcasm.

“Gotta keep an eye on my equipment. This stuff is expensive. Speaking of keeping an eye…” She slides the mouse to a radio button, clicks it and up pops an image of practice studio three. It's Jonathan. “We don't have much time, he never makes it through the second movement without… well you’ll see.”

His playing is fluid, almost effortlessly his fingers slowly caress the keys. His face however is sad and pained. More than she has ever seen before. A few stanzas later she hears and sees him falter then fail, close the key-lid and lay his head on his forearm. Mrs. Marks kills the feed. “I think we've invaded enough of his privacy for one day.... He really is quite good. I've listened to him play guitar and piano. He favors the darker sadder melodies, never finishes them. Brahms is particularly hard on him.” She sighs, “Always ends up like that. In five minutes he’ll be gone.”

“Have you asked him why?”

“Asked him? Shelby I've never even spoken to him. I was in here one afternoon and happened to see room three was in use so I clicked on the feed. Up pops this young man I’d never seen before playing beautifully, lost in the melody as I watched. These rooms are for everyone who has music in their heart. He definitely qualifies. Your fella has never done any damage, leaves the room clean and doesn't bother anyone. So who am I to run him off. If he ever gets to the point he can finish I may ask him to accompany the symphonic band. Until then I'll let him be”

“Thanks Mrs. Marks. I think he needs this.”

“You've a crush on him don't you, Shelby?”

The girl smiles and looks away.

“I think he's a good kid, Shelby. With his affinity for the classics, he must have a good heart. You could do worse. But do me a favor, TALK to him... and be HONEST. This stalking stuff is beneath you. You’re a beautiful girl, you're intelligent and have much to offer. Quit selling yourself short. The opportunity will present itself. When it does, go for it.”

“I hadn't realized I was stalking him. You're right Mrs. Marks. I would like to talk to him. Guess I better just suck it up and do it.”



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


Thank you for the comments on "New Tale's" first installment. Evoking an emotional response as reflected in your comments is part of the thrill I realize has been very much missed these years. With that said I hope you find Chapter 2 equally emoting.

As before, feel free to comment and inspire me to improve.

v/r
JM

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good writing

Robertlouis's picture

This is special. You have a talent for both narrative and characterisation.

☠️

Mrs. Marks

WillowD's picture

Mrs. Marks is an awesome teacher. I was lucky enough to have a number of awesome teachers in both public and high school and the very good fortune to never need the extra empathy Mrs. Marks is showing here.

Yes she is.

Yes she is. Though only a minor character she and the elements of her music department were inspired by a wonderful woman and the music department she led.

Justin

I had a teacher who was very

Rose's picture

I had a teacher who was very much like this when I started music in grade school. I didn't know what I wanted to play, but 40 years later I playy several instruments, conduct, and compose. He died many years ago, but I owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

Wonderful story! There are times I am so depressed I think I'm going to break the keys. This story is very realistic to me.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

My appreciation

My appreciation to all who have commented on the first two chapters. I realize this story builds slowly but it's about overcoming grief and here as in real life overcoming grief takes time.

Ironically so did this story. It's several years or writing and revising. Most of it was thumbed out on a phone while travelling; sitting in airports and on planes. There were quite a few bars involved as well.

Justin

Music can evoke

Podracer's picture

the deepest passions. Can it be the gateway to these two meeting as well?
Yes the story has captured me as well.

"Reach for the sun."

Not wanting to introduce oneself rude?

Jamie Lee's picture

Assumptions after assumptions, never once taking into account there is a very personal reason for the why that have been assumed.

Johnathan is very gifted, getting homework done before going home is one indication. His music ability another.

But he still hurts from the death of his parents, deaths he's been told he caused. But is it the truth or just rumor those first bitches heard?

Shelby may be the only one, so far, who might be able to get through to Jonathan. She fancies him after all, and for some reason, empathizes with him. And if she can get through to him, then maybe he can finally get through the pieces he's been playing.

Others have feelings too.