Aftermath 9

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath part 9

Both me and Cassie agreed.

Cassie sat behind at the computer again. She began searching the maps and cameras looking for anything helpful. Checking camera after camera nothing to report. She had checked every room and corridor on this level. She moved to the next level. It took about an hour for Cassie to check the 4 levels between here and 13 floor. No evidence of anyone in any of them.

“looks like everything is clear from here to the armory, mess hall, and supply.” Cassie acknowledged.

“Where you each given a weapon?” I asked.

Both Whitney and Cassie nodded.

“I don't have to tell you to be ready we all know how to handle weapons.”

Again they nodded.

“OK, lets explorer.” I held the key card up to the lock on the side of the door. It slid open. A wave fresh air came in.

“Well the hvac system is working still. Must just be out in here.” Cassie said.

We moved cautiously checking in other rooms as we passed. Most were just laboratories. All of them seemed covered in a thick layer of dust. Maybe the Hvac system is turned off in the rooms.

At each intersection we checked down each hall to see what we could see. Everything seemed the same. One hall looked like the next. We decided to bypass the elevators as we don't know what condition they are in. Cassie led the way to the stairs.

We where all shocked when we opened the door to the stairs. It opened into a gigantic cavern. The stair way was run on the side of the building. Luckily neither one of us had vertigo as we seemed about 10 stories above the cavern floor. The same looking up.

If we were on the 16 floor, and supply was on level 13 up 3 stories. We must be way deep. So we headed up. Doing a tactical stair assault. Making sure everything was secure.

Looking in the small window on the 13 floor. Everything seemed normal. We entered, back into the warmer hall. As the cavern was a little chilly. We followed the signs to the armory. Again moving slow and checking the rooms as we went by. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Which was fine with us. Not that we didn't know how to handle something. We just preferred not to.

“Col, the armory is right ahead.” Cassie motioned.

“Great job, lets check it then head to supply.”

“OK”

I put my key card up to the lock, then punched in the code that the General gave me. The door slide open.

The lights automatically turned on. The room was huge, with racks upon racks of weapons as far as I could see. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, of all kinds. Plus crate upon crate of ammunition for them all. Most of the weapons where brand new still in plastic.

We each looked over them quietly deciding which one we would take. We left everything there for now. Wanting to check supply. We followed the signs to supply. We saw took a detour when we say the sign for the cafeteria. We decided to check that. As soon as we opened the door. We where assaulted by the smell of rotting food. It seems that in the chaos that happened when the evacuate order. Most everything was left, the serving table was still full of food. All of it rotten. Whitney checked the kitchen as we checked the rest of the room.

No sooner then she went into the kitchen she came back out. She waved to catch our attention. She then motioned for us to come and see something.

“Check it out,” she opened the door. There were bare foot prints on the floor.

“What do you make of that. Girls?” She whispered.

“Some kids got in after it was abandoned.” I answered back. The foot prints were not adult size but the size of child.

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Something tells me.......

D. Eden's picture

That the other three participants must have gone through some form of age regression. That would explain the smaller footprints.

This story definitely keeps me guessing!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I'm with D

Nyssa's picture

I just hope they didn't actually eat any rotten food.

So far all clear

Jamie Lee's picture

Their search is showing them more and more of the base. And the footprints in the dust indicate either they aren't alone or it's as they said.

But how would a child get into the base without the door codes or keycard or keys. And if they are from one of the six, then either they have keys or keycard or codes.

But what about outside? Aren't they going to use a camera to look outside?

Others have feelings too.