Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

I stood there dumbfounded for a few minutes before I realised that I still had chores to do. I hid my letter and the quill in my secret place in my room, and then started on the dishes. When those we're all dried and put away I headed out to the garden to finish pulling weeds for Aunt Petunia's new flower garden she wants me to plant. It was at that time my only friend came up to me. It's sad that at almost 11 years old my only friend is a small garden snake, but she (at least I think it's a she) has been very cuddly since the first time I found her almost three years ago. Maybe it was my imagination, but it always seemed like she understood me. I let her slither around my arm and stroked her scales. "Isss the owl gone?" The small snake said as it looked at me.

"You can talk!?" I asked in astonishment. I knew it was weird when I thought she understood me, but this was insane. With everything that has happened today, I was afraid I might be losing my mind.

"Yesss I can. Issss it gone?" The snake replied.

"Yes, it's gone. It delivered me a letter and then took my response." 

"That'ssss niccccce. I'm hungry. Ssssee you later." And with that the snake withdrew back to the bushes, leaving me to finish pulling weeds. 

It only took me a few hours to finish pulling the weeds and to till the dirt. I should have plenty of time before the Dursleys get back, but I don't want to risk Aunt Petunia catching me with dirty clothes. Last time I had worked in the garden she made me strip and sprayed me with the hose. She didn't even give me a towel, and I had to stay outside until I was completely dry. I was so ashamed at first, being naked outside in the open. After an hour though, I kind of gave up on being embarrassed and just accepted it. With no one around I peeled off my clothes and threw them in the washing machine along with the rest of the laundry. I swept up the little bit of dirt I had tracked into the kitchen, then hopped into the bath. It was nice being able to take a nice hot bath in peace. I'm normally confined to showers downstairs, but on the rare occasions I was left alone, I could indulge myself. I let all my concerns melt away.

I was folding and ironing the laundry when the Dursleys returned. It was early in the evening. And Dudley had a to-go container from his favorite restaurant, and he made sure that I knew they went to dinner without me. I knew better than to ask about dinner for myself. I've gotten used to having to skip meals on a regular basis. 

I was putting all of the laundry away when I heard the doorbell ring. Normally I never pay attention to who's at the door. It's usually a salesman or a friend of Dudley. And if company was coming over, I'd have been told to disappear and stay quiet well before any guests arrived. It was the sound of yelling that got my attention. I moved to the edge of the stairs as quietly as I could and saw a strange looking woman at the door. She was old and stern looking, dressed in green and black robes, and holding a round pointy hat. I thought I was quiet, but as soon as I saw her, she looked up at me and smiled.

"Miss Potter, I'm Professor McGonagall, and you are coming with me. Please gather your things and we'll be leaving." The lady said, her voice now gentle and loving.

"I just have a few things" I said as I ran down the stairs. I grabbed the book from the library, the quill, and my favorite dress (well it's my only dress, but I like it. It's deep blue in color with pink flowers lining the Hem and comes to just above my knees), and my underwear. I took one last (hopefully my last ever) look in the cupboard to make sure I wasn't leaving anything else important behind. Satisfied that I had everything important, I made my way to the door. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon glared at me. The last time I saw that look was when I ended up in the hospital last year. 

Professor McGonagall put her arm around me and we walked off. Uncle Vernon yelled "and don't come back here ever again. We don't want freaks here." before slamming the door shut. 

I couldn't help but hold back the tears. The mix of uncertainty and the joy of leaving the Dursleys overwhelming me. Anywhere has to be better than here.

With her arm still around me as we walked, she rubbed up and down my arm and said "It will be alright my dear. If I had any idea how bad it was for you here I would have taken you away from them a long time ago. To think of how they treated you would have your mother rolling in her grave." The sternness in her voice was reassuring. I knew it wasn't directed at me, and I could almost see a look of guilt on her face.

"You knew my mom?" I asked looking up at her. "All I know of my parents are their names and that they died in a car crash."

She stopped walking and turned me to look at her. Kneeling down to eye level, she put both hands on my shoulders and said "James and Lily killed in a car crash!? Your parents were great wizards and the wizarding world owes them a great gratitude for their actions. I'll tell you everything I know of them, but here is not the place or time." Standing up she continued, "Now come along dear, we have a lot left to do today."

Looking down at the book in my hands I said "Ma'am, if it's not too much trouble can we stop by the library. I have to return this."

"Of course my dear. We can't have overdue books now, can we." A smile now on her face that made me feel reassured. 

_________________________________________

After stopping off at the library we came to a place called The Leaky Cauldron. Professor McGonagall paid for a room for me for the night, and told me she would be back tomorrow to help me purchase my school supplies and a few other essentials. It was then that she told me about the war with Lord Voldemort, or "he-who-shall-not-be-named" while mentioned in polite company, and a lot about my parents. It was with a happy sadness that I laid down and went to sleep.

The next morning was busy. Professor McGonagall came back before breakfast, and after we both ate we went to Gringotts Bank. I couldn't believe the entire bank was run by goblins. They can be rude, but very professional and efficient at the same time. A goblin named Griphook took us to my family vault. We rode what I could best describe as a mining cart down into the depths. The ride was exhilarating, reminding me of a rollercoaster that Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia would never let me ride. I couldn't hold back a few squeals of excitement on some of the steeper descents or a few of the sharp turns which elicited a chuckle from Griphook and a smile from McGonagall. Even more astounding though was entering the vault itself. Gold and silver coins piled high, thousands of them. Elaborate works of art and exquisitely crafted items of gold and silver spread around the cavern. "All of this is mine?!" I gasped just staring at it all.

"Uhh… not until you turn 17, actually." Chimed Griphook. "While you may be the heiress to the Potter family, your magical guardian is still the custodian of your account. You are free, of course, to collect anything that you may need." With that he handed a bag to McGonagall. 

"Are you my magical guardian, Professor?" I asked while walking around.

"That would be Albus Dumbledore, if I'm not mistaken." Replied Griphook.

I heard coins being placed in a bag while I walked around trying to take it all in. "When you're ready Miss Potter. We still have much to do today." When I made my way back to McGonagall she handed me the bag and said "There is enough there to cover all of your supplies, some new clothes, and a bit extra for other things you may want to buy." 

We got back into the cart and made a stop at another vault, numbered 713. Professor McGonagall told me to stay put while she fetched something. She returned just a couple minutes later, placing a small bag into her robe pocket. The ride back to the surface wasn't as exhilarating as was the descent, but it was fun nonetheless.

Leaving the bank she said "Now let's get you out of those rags and into something becoming a young witch." I think she saw my look of embarrassment because the next thing I knew she was holding my hand and was at eye level with me. "There is nothing for you to be ashamed about Miss Potter. You've done nothing to deserve the way you were treated. Now come along and we'll have you looking right as rain."

A nodding of my head later and we were walking into Madam Malkin's Robes For All Occasions. It was amazing how much attention I was receiving. When Madam Malkin was told I needed a complete wardrobe she was ecstatic. I was not only fitted for my school robes, but also several casual outfits, shoes, socks, underwear, and hair accessories. Most of it had to be altered and enchanted, and we would have to return after lunch, but I left the store in a new dress. The material was soft as silk, but the color changed from black to purple depending on the light. I was also wearing new shoes. Black closed toe 1 inch wedge sandals. 

Next was the most interesting experience of the day, Ollivanders. Professor McGonagall sent me in by myself, saying she had something to take care of. Stepping into the store I looked around. Nobody was there so I rang the bell on the counter. A ladder came rolling along the shelves of boxes from the back of the store, carrying with it an old man. "Can I help you young miss? His voice seemed almost whimsical, but his eyes were serious.

"Yes. I'm here for a wand." I said, slightly intimidated by his stare.

"Of course young miss. Why else would you be here in my store?" His gaze was penetrating, as if he was gazing into my soul. "I have not seen you before." He paused while climbing down the ladder to lean over the counter, his face about a foot from mine. Lowering his voice he asked "And by what name does the young miss go by, hmm?" His eyes peered deeper and deeper into my soul.

"Umm… Holly Potter, sir." came my meek reply. It wasn't fear that caught my voice, but it felt like my soul was laid bare for him to read. 

"Potter, why yes. The girl that lived. I see your mother in your eyes." He said jovally as he went to fetch a box from a nearby shelf. "It seems like only yesterday that I sold your parents their first wands." He came back with a wand which he handed to me. "Well? Give it a flick!"

Not knowing what to expect I flicked my wrist. A shockwave was sent down one of the rows of wands, pulling with it a large amount of boxes and wands off their shelves to land on the floor.

"That one will not do." He said as I set the wand down and he went to retrieve another wand."The wand chooses the wizard, you know!" He shouted while retrieving another wand. This one had similarly disastrous results, as the flick of my wrist shattered the vase behind the counter and disintegrated the flowers that it had previously contained. "Definitely not that one." 

It was the third wand he brought out that made my heart skip a beat. It was white as ivory, the handle silvered, and engraved with a rose vine. "Aspen, 10 and 3 quarters inches, dragon heartstring core." As soon as I held it I felt a wind envelop me and I felt a power flow through me. It was euphoric. "Yes. That's definitely the one for you. A powerful wand indeed. I see a very bright future for you Miss Potter."

"Thank you. It's beautiful." I replied still in awe.

"Yes, the wand chooses the wizard! You'll also want some wand polish. If you take care of that wand it will certainly take care of you."

I paid for the wand as well as a can of polish and a cleaning cloth. "Thank you for everything. And I'm sorry for the mess I made."

"Think nothing of it Miss Potter. It happens almost every time."

With that I left the store to find Professor McGonagall outside waiting for me. We finished our shopping which were books, my class supplies and a magic chest that was bigger on the inside. I paid a little extra to have the chest enchanted with a featherlight charm, and a security lock that simply required a tap of my wand to unlock. Placing all of my newly acquired items in my chest, we got lunch and then picked up all of my clothing from Madam Malkin's. Our last stop was the Eeylops Owl Emporium, where I bought the cutest little thing that I named Nimue, after the name of Merlin's wife (at least in one version of muggle legend). She was by far one of the more expensive owls there, due to her colors being primarily blue with a few streaks that are almost purple and speckled with white spots, but I had the money and it's not like I've gotten fancy things before today. Returning to my room at The Leaky Cauldron, Professor McGonagall informed me that she had arranged for me to stay with another first year student, Hannah Abbott, and her mom.

"Can't I just stay here?" I tried my best to hide my fear that I would become the unwanted ward of another family.

"Now Miss Potter, we can't have an 11 year old girl staying by herself for a little over two months. And unfortunately I have a rather busy schedule getting everything ready for the new school year to be acting as your guardian." Her tone softened somewhat after that. Maybe she saw the hurt and fear I was trying so hard to hide. "Miss Potter, it will do you good to have at least one familiar face among the students. And I have personally talked to Mrs. Abbott, and can assure you that everything will be fine. I'll even come check on you next week just to make sure everything is working out well."

"Yes ma'am." I was still a little worried, but her reassuring words put me more at ease. 

"Good. Now that that’s settled, I would ask that you stay here in the inn until I come for you tomorrow, and I have notified the staff here to keep an eye on you. I shouldn’t have to tell you that the world can be a very dangerous place for a girl your age on her own. When you get hungry just head downstairs."

"Yes ma'am." And with that Professor McGonagall left. I spent the rest of the day reading through some of my books, especially Hogwarts: a History, and practicing the first few spells in my spell book. I was able to cast Lumos pretty consistently, and was even able to levitate a couple small items a couple times. You'd never think it, but learning magic can be quite exhausting. I was in bed and asleep shortly after dinner.

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have always liked

the Harry Potter books and movies. This is a unique twist on the tail. I can see that Holly becoming a bright young witch of her day.

Glad you like it

Oh, she is going to be a bright young witch alright. The big question though is will she fight the darkness, or succumb to it?

Harry Potter fan fic

WillowD's picture

I love it. And this looks like it will be a good one. Thanks.

Fun story

What a fun story to read so far! I've enjoyed your writing style so far, keep up the great work!

Learning spells as soon as she got the books?

WillowD's picture

That is so a Hermionie thing. Not something the original Harry seemed to be into. I think I'm really liking this version of the story.