New Tale to Tell Chapter 5: Enough's Enough

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 5
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

““Leave her alone!” Jonathan is ten feet away and closing fast. Mark sneers at Jonathan's approach. “Fuck off you dick-head before I teach you who’s boss.” Jonathan steps right up on the other kid, forcing him to step back. “Why don't you and I go somewhere and address that.”


~o~O~o~

A Note On Chapter 5
There is a segment within this chapter that many will find highly debatable if not outright offensive. Please understand it is not my wish to offend, but to merely advance the story.

As to how it is presented I chose this answer for two reasons. First even though there are arguments to support both views on the topic. There are many historical documents to support the answer Shelby and Jonathan relate. Remember “When it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.” Second, the characters embody what I believe is a trademark of the community they belong to; They are intelligent free thinkers who refuse to accept doctrine simply because it is popular and the current flavor being presented in our nation's often biased educational systems. They are seekers of knowledge who look at all the facts, seek to understand each facet of the debate and once armed with adequate knowledge they decide for themselves what position they will support while maintaining respect for the views of others.

Lastly please do not allow this minor plot element to overshadow what the chapter is really about.

~o~O~o~

Chapter 5: Enough's Enough

As the days progress the two students quickly become close. Each despite their own torments find comfort in the company of the other. At night Jonathan wrestles with the pain and guilt from the accident. By day he finds escape in the company of Shelby. She on the other hand sleeps well at night, relishing in the memory of time spent with a boy who likes her for her. Who treats her with respect, dignity and kindness. By day she must endure the teasing and bullying of the G.O.P. and other remora.

At school Jonathan’s self imposed anti-socialness doesn’t prevent him from becoming acutely aware of the other students bullying of his friend. His disgust with the other student’s treatment of Shelby finally surfaces during a lecture on the basis of the civil war.

During the lecture Ms. Hayes asks, “OK who can tell me the root cause for the succession of the southern states?... Shelby?”

“One root or underlying cause for the succession of the southern states can be attributed to the federal government’s opposing each southern state's right to self-govern without interference or undue taxation from the fed and designed to benefit other states. Namely the northern states.”

From the back of the room “You stupid wanna-twat! It was the outlawing of slavery. Jesus! Just shut the eff up.”

There are several snickers in the room but before Ms. Hayes can quiet them and go after the speaker she’s muted when Jonathan breaks his usual silence, “Actually, according to the Lincoln Letters as compiled by Merwin Roe and published by E. P. Dutton & Co circa 1907, the late president had serious reservations about how the fed was taxing exports from the south including those used in northern textile mills. Then providing as much as 75% of the revenue to northern states. One theory suggests that in Lincoln's mind the reason it was done was to recoup revenue because the South's savings through the use of cheap labor (slavery) could create a shift in the balance of wealth and power from the north (old money) to the south.”

“When the southern caucasus lobbied congress in 1859 to oppose the tariffs they were turned away at committee. In addition the south attempted to pass the export tax onto the northern buyers but were overruled by the northern controlled fed committee on interstate commerce whose position was the south was bound to pay the tariff on the basis it was the federal government’s duty under the newly powerful Republican Party to levy tariffs on exports and imported goods. It is also thought Lincoln privately agreed the south was being unfairly taxed but also was vehemently against the South's refusal to outlaw slavery en masse thus he publicly supported the taxes.”

“An analysis of data from the period including the Articles of Secession by the Civil War Trust show that of the seven states that seceded only Georgia, Mississippi and Texas show the abolition of slavery as majority reason for seceding. The remaining four sighted economics and the feds interference with states rights to self govern as the prime reason for succession. So before any of you ladies and gentlemen decide to bash someone why don't you do some research.” With a wink at Shelby he returns to his reading.

In the stunned silence that follows a girl in the back of the class raises her hand, “Um Ms. Hayes? Is what he said true?”

“Well... yes Meghan. Shelby and Jonathan are correct. Unfortunately our texts don't go into that level of detail. But rather focus on the fact that slavery was an atrocity which was ended at the outcome of the civil war.”

She looks at the pair in the front row, “I for one would be curious to know how these two learned so much about it themselves.” By this time they have already returned to their normal states of silence. “No answers today,” she thinks, then makes a mental note to look at Jonathan's transcripts...

“What do you mean they're sealed?”

“Just that. Linda. His records are sealed and we cannot access them.”

“Kathy, that's crazy. Who ever heard of a transfer student’s records being sealed so his own teachers can't access them? Can't you or principal Martinez do something?”

“Linda, I'm just the admin secretary. They are locked on the system and the pop-up says all access requests must be submitted through the district's attorney.”

“The attorney? Damn that's just crazy. Maybe I'll just ask him outright.”

“It would probably be easier Linda. Bye.”

Linda waves as she leaves the office on a mission to hunt down her pair of pupils. It's time for some answers. She knows they both favor the library once classes let out for the day.

After classes Jonathan had ran to his locker for a textbook before meeting Shelby at the library. He is almost there when he spots two of the G.O.P. tormenting the girl. Angry at their repeated bullying of her it’s time to take action. With his injuries he knows he hasn’t the stamina to get into a full on fist fight with both of them. Judgement dictates he has to use his wits, to be cunning. His father always said it was another of the gifts he got from his mother. This time his temper, a gift from his father gets the best of him. He barges in hoping they don't call his bluff.

So focused is Jonathan on the bullies in front of him he fails to notice Ms. Hayes approaching from the other direction.

As she walks the edge of the quad she can hear Jason's voice taunting some poor student as usual. Before she can turn the corner and put a stop to it she pulls up short at the sound of Jonathan's voice.

…..

“That's the last time you and your faggot boyfriend embarrass me in class you frigging freak.”

“Please! Just leave me alone! Go bother someone else!”

“That ain't gonna happen you faggot-bitch. That's right you had better cry. Take a pic Mark so we can post how we treat faggot-bitches around here” Jason and Mark grin evilly at their fun.

“Leave her alone!” Jonathan is ten feet away and closing fast.

Mark sneers at his approach. “Fuck off you dick-head before I teach you who’s boss.”

Jonathan walks right up on the other kid forcing him to step back. “Why don't you and I go somewhere and address that.”

“You gonna take me on pussy? Jason and I will kick your ass!”

Without stopping Jonathan grabs both bullies by the throat and keeps going, forcing them backwards. “So let's go do this. I could use a good ass-kicking. Let's see if you two are up to it.” His actions and mood are so calm, so self assured Jason's fear instinct kicks in.

With a frightened look Jason shrugs off Jonathan's grip coughing, “Eff-that you faggot-lover. I ain't gonna let you give me aids! C'mon Mark” Jonathan shoves the smaller boy at him. They both trot off in search of easier prey.

Watching them leave Jonathan sighs, and turns to the girl, taking her hand in his, “I’m sorry you had to see that Shelby. Are you hurt? Do we need to go to the office? Call someone?” He brushes some hair from her eyes.

“No, I'm okay. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.” The excitement she felt from his touch was more than enough to assuage any negative emotions from her encounter with the G.O.P. leadership.

“Shelby I think it’s time someone does something about the G.O.P.”

“Please don't Jonathan. I don't want you hurt because of me.”

“I'll be fine Shelby” That he is concentrating hard to control his breathing and the pain knifing his side she cannot tell.

She steps nearer, “Can we just go study now?”

Linda goes for her phone.

“Hello?”

“Dr. Curtis? Linda Hayes at the high school.”

“Linda! How many times have I told you it’s Mary? Now, what’s wrong? Did something happen to Shelby?”

“Nothing is wrong. But something has happened with Shelby. I believe she has a boy in her life.”

“A boy? I thought something was up. This could be problematic, considering.”

“I’m not so sure Dr. - I mean Mary. This kid is different. I can't say for sure he knows, but he certainly isn't influenced by what the other kids say about her. He’s a hard one to read but it's safe to say he personally doesn't like how they treat her. He’s defended her intellect in class a couple of times and just a few minutes ago rather handily dealt with a couple of the bullies that get off on bothering Shelby.”

“Bullies? You saw it? Didn’t you say anything?”

“Mary I didn’t have to. As a teacher I’ve found that when it comes to bullies telling a teacher or having one interfere on your behalf often makes things worse. However, when another student takes up the torch, things tend to change. And this new kid isn’t the slightest bit afraid of this particular crop of bullies. There were two of them. Quick as a flash he had them backed up and run off. He’s smart too, doesn’t leave his back undefended. I’ll keep an eye on things, but plan to see what this kid can accomplish before interfering.”

“OK. If you say so, just keep her safe. What else can you tell me about this boy?”

“He’s a transfer. His name is Jonathan Moorland. A 4-O plus student. He’s quite smart, appears well educated, but quiet and reserved. He doesn’t talk about himself. Refuses to in fact. He studies all the time except when he goes to the music department. Mrs. Marks says musically he’s very talented and at the same time private.”

“What about his family? His parents?”

“I haven’t met them. As good of a student as he is, there really is no reason for them to come in. Mary, it’s obvious Shelby has a huge crush on him. I think he feels the same. You know she is quiet as is this kid, but since they connected a couple of months ago they have both opened up, only just to each other.”

“Thanks Linda. I think it may be time for Shelby to introduce us to this young man.”



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


Again my apologies if the section on the civil war caused distress. There are many parts of our history that are ugly. So little of it makes it into the record that ignoring or mis-characterizing what happened on any side of history's die does nothing to change what happened, or help us learn from it.

To all those who comment: Thanks for making me better!

v/r
JM

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not offended

Robertlouis's picture

As a post-graduate student of the American Civil War (I make the distinction because we had our own internal disagreement here in the UK in the 17th century) I’m all too aware of the ambiguities and shades of grey that disfigure the certainties that people prefer to apply to the conflict. The fact that moral right prevailed in the end didn’t mean that it was necessarily in the driving seat at all times.

Meanwhile the story continues to shape very nicely, although everyone else seems to know something about Shelby of which Jonathan alone remains for the time being completely oblivious. Perhaps revelation is imminent.

☠️

Great story

I hope he can work on being able to do more with the music.

Will he ever find out the truth about the crash?

I'm never quite certain

Thanks to all who have read and responded. I'm never quite certain how to answer questions and assumptions about an ongoing story. Suffice to say that I have yet to read a question which isn't addressed in subsequent chapters. If one does arise I will respond to it in the comments.

Justin

Guess they'll learn the hard way

Jamie Lee's picture

It is said that the victor writes history, mostly slanted towards the victor's point of view. Many are taught, or were taught, that the American Civil War, or War Between the States, was faught because of slavery. That may be the simplified version, but it is a version that can still cause ugly argument when that war is discussed. States having Self Government without Federal interference is also attributed but isn't remembered as much as the slavery issue.

Jason and his elf friend are very slow learners. The first time they tangled with Johnathan he mentally handed them their heads. This time he physically handed them their heads. If they haven't figured out it's best to leave Johnathan and Shelby alone, after he bodily shoved both of them into the lockers at the same time, then they make rocks look intelligent.

Others have feelings too.