Project: Night Bird Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Lucy looks at all the drawings she did for Captain Burns and Major Kingston. She had been asked by the two of them if she could draw the helicopters she worked on and what she did to them. She was glad she had such a good memory.

“Here’s everything I can recall.” Lucy hands the stack of drawings to both men.

Major Kingston looks at the stack first. He recognizes the helicopters and most of their weapon systems, but some of the things Lucy added he wasn’t familiar with.

“What do you know about the weapons and modifications you did to these helicopters?” Major Kingston looks at Lucy.

“Not much. I worked mostly on installing the control systems and targeting system. The other people helping me installed the weapons and tested them. All I know is that the weapons were brought in and installed.” Lucy wasn’t allowed near them, except to make sure they were mounted properly to the helicopters.

“Do they have any more EMP weapons?” Major Kingston was concerned about that.

“Not that I know of. They were hoping to use the Emp device they used a few more times, but I sabotaged it and I have the only plans to it.”
Lucy made a blueprint of the EMP device.

“Where are those plans?” Major Kingston wanted those blueprints.

“I gave them to Mrs. Blake’s security chief.” Lucy was visited by the head of security.

Major Kingston looks at Captain Burns “I’ll like a copy of those plans.”

“Sorry, that’s not my decision to make. Only Mrs. Blake can make that decision.” Captain Burns knows Mrs. Blake didn’t like to share things with the military.

After several more hours, Lucy is allowed to return to the room she was staying in. According to the reports she got from Captain Burns, her supposed husband and several of his chief engineers have gone missing. Their bank accounts have been depleted and the medical research they had been performing on bionic limbs was missing.

The Australian government was investigating the business to find out what illegal activities Mr. Wright had been doing. She walks over and lay down on the bed. The room didn’t have a bath of its own. So, if she wanted to take a shower or go to the bathroom, she had to use the communal bathroom.

Mrs. Blake’s medical people gave her everything she needed to take care of her bionic arm. She checks the spare battery they gave her and noticed that it was halfway charged. The battery she currently had in her arm was still charged. She figures it would last until around midnight.

She sits down in the recliner that was in her room. She wonders how she managed to be conned into the position she was in. Also, why did Mr. Wright choose her to be his replacement wife?

Several Hours Later:
Cora relaxes as the helicopter she was in lands. She hopes the information she gathered will be helpful. Once the helicopter lands, Cora sprints over towards the building Mr. Webber’s office was. When people glance towards her, all they see is a black blur.

Cora slips her keycard out and slides it through the reader and heads up to Mr. Webber’s office. She looks at her old fashion waist watch. It was made of silver and had black diamonds in the shape of a Fox shaped head.

She found out that a famous Native American artist had made it back in the 1930s. She found it at a local pawn shop. She used some of the money from her first case to buy the watch. She liked it because it was the old fashion style of where you had to whine it up.

Murry Webber’s Office:
Murry covers up a yawn as he looks at all the paperwork on his desk. The past few days have kept him at the office handling the emergency created form the EMP attack. He has gone over Lucy Wright’s statement several times and even had the medical records to back-up what was done to her.

The thing that was bothering him the most, was what was this leading up too? Why knock out the power to a city, if you weren’t going to take anything or do anything? As he picks up his coffee cup, there’s a knock on his office door.

“Enter!”

Cora walks in “I have some interesting information for you and Captain Burns. You might want to call everyone, including Lucy Wright as well.”

“What did you find Mrs. Black?” Murray's curiosity was piqued.

“It’s better I tell everyone at once, instead of repeating myself?” Cora felt that she would do better telling everyone all at once.

“Alright, I’ll gather everyone and meet you in conference room 3.” Murray wants to know what information Mrs. Black has.

“Alright, let me go and get set-up.” Cora turns around and leaves Mr. Webber's office.

Murry sends a text to Jessica, Katey, Captain Burns, Major Kingston, and a few others. He also sends security to bring Lucy up to the conference room.

Lucy’s Quarters:
Sarah couldn’t believe she had been transferred from the mountain complex to Aero Flight Industries, in Coconino County, Arizona. She has only been on the job for a week, since graduating from the academy. She was assigned to watch over Mrs. Wright while she was on the base.
As she is standing outside her quarters, she receives a text from Mr. Webber to bring her to conference room 3.

Sarah knocks on the door “Mrs. Wright, they need you for a meeting.

Lucy opens her eyes when she hears the knocking sound on her door. She glances over towards the clock in her quarters. It was six o’clock in
the morning according to the clock. She couldn’t believe that she managed to sleep as well as she did.

Lucy gets out of bed and walks up to the door and opens it. She spots a young short woman with a brown pixie cut hairstyle, wearing a black security uniform standing in front of her. She hasn’t seen this security personnel before.

“Who are you?” Lucy looks at the young security person standing in front of her.

“I’m security officer Sarah Winters, Mrs. Wright. I’ve been assigned to you.” Sarah was excited about her assignment.

Sarah noticed Mrs. Wright didn’t have her bionic arm attached to her body. She also noticed Mrs. Wright was a good six or seven inches taller than she was.

“How long do I have, before I have to be there?” Lucy wanted to freshen up some.

“I don’t know, ma’am. Let me ask.” Sarah sends a text message back to Mr. Webber.

After a few seconds, she gets a reply. She looks at it “Mr. Webber said we need to be there in twenty minutes.”

“Alright, let me freshen up before we go.” Lucy turns back around and heads back into her quarters.

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

WillowD's picture

for the chapter. I like this story.

The info sounds good

Samantha Heart's picture

I wonder what info Cora has dug up on the helacopters they are after.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.