New Tale to Tell Chapter 7: Revelations

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 7
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

Sheila levels a doubtful look at him, “Do I need to throw the bull-shit flag or are you gonna come clean?”


~o~O~o~

Chapter 7: Revelations

It’s Tuesday and Jonathan is in for his weekly session with Dr. Michaels. It’s part of the terms of his emancipation. Secretly he looks forward to these sessions. Sheila has become the closest thing to a nurturing parent he’s had since the accident. “OK Jonathan, for several sessions now I've noticed an uptick in your mood. So level with me, what has had you... oh let's call it, less jacked-up?”

“Well..., I’ve met someone.”

Sheila leans forward in her seat, folds her hands across her knees and raises an eyebrow. “Do tell.”

He talks about this girl he has met. How he's strangely drawn to her. Her presence, even his thoughts of her make him feel less sad, less lonely. He can always tell when she is near. She feels comfortable to him. “And cute” he whispers.

“Oh really? Describe her? I'm curious about what traits you find 'cute’.”

“She’s 16, maybe 5’6, around 120 lbs. Jet black hair worn in a 40's style cut. Grey-green eyes behind square rimmed glasses. High cheekbones, a pert nose, full red lips, creamy white skin. She has the voice of a bird. And when she laughs…,” he sighs, “well I like her laugh. It’s like music... Then there's her fashion style. 40's to 50's-ish. She’s always in some type of dress or skirt with um? What are they called, not a slip but frilly and full…”

The light bulb goes off in Sheila's mind, “Petticoats?”

“Yes! Petticoats! Too cute!” Sheila is surprised to hear him sigh. Not a sad sigh but the sigh of a normal boy thinking of a girl who infatuates him.

Sheila takes a moment to think it through “Finally! Progress! But could it?” She makes a mental note to see if her other worst case patient has met someone of her own. It's unlikely there are two such girls in the area. At the top of her steno-pad she nonchalantly writes one word over and over itself, then circles it with a question mark …”SHELBY?”

“Jonathan, I'm so proud that you have met someone your age to become friends with. I'd like you to keep me posted. Now, what else have you been up to?”

He has begun moving forward. Some days he even stays after school to use the music rooms. It’s hard but the music seems to help reconnect with his parents.

But the bigger item he wishes to discuss is he wants the firm to lease out his parents house. “I’d like to move into a small town home. But to do that Mr. Stanley says he needs you to contact him to give the go ahead.”

“OK give me your reasoning for this decision.” She flips the pages of the steno pad to the notes from her most recent conversation with Aaron.

“Well, the house? It's way more than I need. And it's a good business decision." he quickly adds. "The house is paid for and the firm can rent it out for more than the mortgage on a town home. So they make a profit and I get a more manageable place.” He finishes and looks at her with his most convincing business like face.

Sheila levels a doubtful look at him, “Do I need to throw the bull-shit flag or are you gonna come clean?”

The boy huffs then takes a deep breath. “Okay you got me. Truth is... I hate it there. It's too quiet. I keep wishing to hear mom and dad. When I don't, I just want to curl up in a corner and die. Everywhere I look is something that reminds me of them. I know what you are thinking. No. I don't want to forget them. Ever! I think of them all the time, talk to them every day. But everyone, including you, says I need to move forward and I'm thinking everyone is right. It's just that being in that house makes it sooo hard. I don't want to get rid of it. Someday maybe I can live there. But right now it's not the place for me. I need a clean slate. I'm supposed to be an adult. That's what the court says. And I don't think an adult would find it healthy to stay in a house that reminds them constantly of the worst event of their life.” he lets out a big breath and looks at her pleadingly.

“Ok give me some time to think on it.”

Her next note says: 'Call Aaron. Townhouse is a go!’

…..

The following day Shelby comes in for her regular appointment. Dr. Michaels knows with Shelby she sometimes has to be a bit forceful to get things out of her. Today is one of those times. She can see she has something to tell but is nervous to discuss it. “OK Bee. What’s in your bonnet? C'mon, spill it. Something has happened and I want to know!”

Shelby smooths her skirt, folds her hands in her lap, looks up at nothing in particular and shrugs, “Well… Okay. There's a new boy at school and he’s my friend!” She cocks her head and looks embarrassingly at the doctor.

Sheila has to stifle a laugh. Shelby is of above average intelligence and when she acts her age it's so, Amusing - But like any good doctor she plays it cool, “Oh? A new boy? And you are friends with him? Tell me about it.”

Shelby proceeds to unload about how he was sat beside her in history class and she immediately felt drawn to him. Then to see they shared almost all the same classes. And lunch! But different study hall, was more than she could hope for. How she started staying after school to hear him practice music and watch him study. Then their meeting at her bench during lunch. They became friends and now study after school together almost daily. She finishes with “And he’s soo cute!”

Sheila thinks, ‘Well it worked yesterday…’
“Oh really? Will you describe him? I'm curious about what traits you find 'cute’.”

Excitedly she sits forward on the couch, “I think he is 17. Yes 17. A couple inches shy of 6’. Maybe 150 lbs. Platinum hair. A true blonde! He has the deepest Hazel eyes. When he looks at me it’s like he can see right inside me. He has no facial hair yet. I'm not sure he can grow any which is great 'cause I don't like a scratchy face. He has broad shoulders and I'd say maybe overall, the build of a swimmer… yum! He is super smart, kind and attentive. Oh he's just so cute!”

She pauses for a moment as if she is struggling with a secret she is not sure she should tell. “Sheila…?”

“Shelby. If you think it’s important, then out with it.”

“Sheila. The only thing about him that worries me, is there is sadness in his eyes. And loneliness. Not when he looks at me. But I can see it when he is thinking. I can hear it in his music. That’s when it’s the worst. It’s when he cries.”

“Have you asked him about it?”

“Well no. Not because I don’t care, I’m just not sure how to bring it up. Besides when he is with me he is so warm and caring I don’t want to ruin it.”

Sheila looks down at her notepad. Without realizing it she has written at the top one word, in caps…’JONATHAN!’ “Gotcha!” She thinks. “Oh this is too good. The possibilities! I need to call Mary and Aaron to clear the way for what I'm thinking.”

…..

Never one to beat around the bush, “Hi Mary, it’s Sheila. Were you aware Shelby has a boyfriend?”

“Why ye-”

“Ok good. How would you react if I told you he was my patient?”

“Really? How bad is it?”

“I wouldn’t call it bad Mary. Tragic is the word I’d use. Have you met him? Jonathan Moorland is his name.”

“Yes. That’s him.”

Has he talked much about his life? His family?”

“No, not really. We were planning a barbecue for this weekend. I’d hoped to find out more then.”

“Mary? How long have we been colleagues? 17 years if a day I’m thinking. And Shelby has been my patient almost 9 of those years...”

“What are you getting at Sheila?”

“How much do you trust me?”

“With my daughter’s mental health. Helping us with her growth into womanhood. I’d wager that should answer the question.”

“Okay, good. Then do me a favor and trust me when I say Jonathan is a good kid. More importantly, a good kid for Shelby. And she is very good for him.”

“What about-?”

“I don’t see it as an issue. Trust me on that. But more so, trust me when I say you are to avoid asking about his past, his family, his parents. Any of it. For now.”

“I don’t know Sheila. That’s gonna be hard to get by Robert. And you know how Shelby can be. Sometimes she speaks without thinking and so forth.”

“I’m not worried about Shelby. If she asks, then it’s between Jonathan and her. If what I suspect about his feelings hold true, he will be honest with her. But those questions, if they are asked, have to come from her.”

“OK”

“Good. Until then any discussion of his past and parents has to be initiated by him.” She pauses taking a deep breath, “Sheila you know I cannot discuss it... believe me when I said it’s tragic. He’s coming around, more so since Shelby. I really think she may be the key. God knows he’s been good for her.”

“I agree. She seems so much happier, more confident being who she is. I’d say she feels appreciated by him and more. She used to dread going to school. Now she rushes me out the door.” She laughs at the realization. “OK Sheila, I’m gonna go with your direction. I’ll figure some way to reign in Robert. What can I discuss with him?”

“Just be parents. Keep it light and let the kids be kids. You know give them their space. When you talk, keep it about schools and current events. If he seems uncomfortable and tries to redirect - you know what that looks like - let him. Say, does he know you're a psychiatrist?”

“Um I believe so. Shelby told him we were both doctors. And I can tell he chooses his words and topics carefully. I thought he was just being super respectful. Damn I’m too close to this! Thank God I have​ you to calibrate me.”

“No worries girl. I’m going to want a full report afterwards.”



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


To the silent masses. Thank you for taking the time to sample a bit of my imagination!

To all those who comment: Thanks for making me better!

v/r
JM

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sheila

My5InchFMHeels's picture

She sounds like a great doc for both of them. Keeping confidentiality, as well as looking for progress.

Goddess, this story is interesting.

WillowD's picture

And they both have the same psychiatrist. Delicious.

I'm worried about Jonathan's physical health though.

Revelation of the two?

Jamie Lee's picture

Johnathan uses deflection to avoid answering questions about his parents and other topics he wants to avoid. But the topic about his parents might be about to come into the open, as Shelby opens up about herself.

Shelia being their doctor is not really fair, but that's really in love and war. She knows how far they each have come and need to go until they start accepting what both are keeping tight kids on.

It may not seem fair if both teens knew they had the same doctor, but by having the same doctor, said doctor can devise experiences which will help each one in the long run.

Others have feelings too.

I'm shocked

that this has so few reads and kudos, it is wonderful.