Babs' New Year's Resolution 41

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s resolution 41. ©

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington. Lola’s new girlfriend in college.

Chapter 41.

While Bab’s lay unconsciously recovering from the anaesthetic, Lola phoned Bridie.

“I’ve got some important news for you when I get back but it’ll be tomorrow.”

“Why is that?” Bridie asked.

“I’m keeping vigil with Bab's in the IC ward tonight.”

“I’ll have to tell the girls then; they were expecting you here tonight.”

“Just tell them the hospital only has one visitor’s bed per IC patient. Gareth’s also here as a guard for Bab’s so he’s guarding me as well, the visitor bed is in a little annexe next to Bab’s room. Usually it’s used by parents being there for their child.”

“Yes, I know the set up. The girls will be over at about eightish in the morning then we’ll make ourselves scarce until the situation is checked out at Canal cottage.”

“Oh don’t say we have to evacuate the cottage! I love that place.”

“All the girls do, but we have to determine how the gang located Bab’s at the courthouse.”

“All they had to do was wait in ambush and they would have been confident she would have been at the court some time. The day of sentencing would have been a pretty likely day. I’m not convinced they’ve located the cottage.” Lola offered hopefully.

“If they’ve identified Bab’s, they’ll probably have learned where she lives. We might have to move you all lock stock and barrel.”

“Where?”

“Good question Lola. It might be expedient to move you out of the UK, particularly as the girls will be attending court next in Holland.

“What? You want us to live in Holland?”

“Temporarily. You’ll have to live there anyway during the Dutch trial.”

“Hold on Bridie, I’ve got surgery booked in a few days. There’s no way I can move to Holland, plus there’s my Uni course. I’m already likely to miss the first couple of weeks while recovering from my GRS. This is a right mess.”

Bridie felt forced to agree with Lola and concluded they needed to sit down and re-formulate their strategies.

“When is your surgery booked?” Bridie asked.

“I go in Monday and the op is scheduled for Tuesday morning early, seven o’clock. They keep me in then until Saturday and if everything’s okay, I’m discharged.

“Damn! The girls will be in Holland by then getting prepared for the next court case.”

“What, all of them?”

“Yes. Olivia and Angela are identity witnesses for character referrals while of course poor Erica is a factual witness. I’m not much up on Dutch, European law because the procedures and technicalities differ somewhat.”

“So you’ll be in Europe as well.” Lola checked.

“Yes, and Inspector John. The problem is where to put you.”

“I’ve had some offers.”

“Can you trust them?” Bridie asked because they were concerned also about Lola’s safety. She could be kidnapped as a bargaining chip to blackmail the other three into staying quiet.

“Two of them certainly,” Lola confirmed.

“Who are they?”

“Callie, my new friend in Yorkshire or Belinda my girlfriend.”

“Callie? Who’s she?”

“Callie Denton. She’s got a house in Yorkshire, north of a place called Keighley,

“Is that the Duchess of Denton? The lady who was in Leeds for the identity parade of Abdul.”

“Yes.” Lola confessed reluctantly.

“My god girl! You’re on first name terms with a Duchess no less now.”

“You met her briefly in that police canteen. She’s nothing like what you’d expect a duchess to be.”

“Well that’s true. So she’s agreed to put you up.”

“Yes. I phoned her this morning when I realised there might be logistical problems with the girls in Holland and Canal Cottage being compromised.”

“Has she said yes and does she realise the risks?”

“You bet. She’s tangled with Abdul before. Her house is really secure that’s when they captured Abdul up to his tricks before. They’ve even got a secure strong-room to hide in if they get attacked. Denton Hall is like a bloody fortress.

She’s even got her own security team. They normally work as tour guides, game-keepers and maintenance people employed permanently around the house and estate but if there’s any problems, they double up – and they’re good. Ex SAS some of them. I’ll be as safe with her as anywhere in the UK.”

“How can she afford all that man-power.” Bridie wondered aloud.

Lola grinned then wagged her head as she realised that Bridie only knew Callie to have spoken to her briefly in the police canteen. She knew almost nothing of Callie’s personal circumstances. She spoke softly as she enlightened Bridie.

“That girl owns half of bloody Yorkshire! – Well not quite, but you get my gist.”

“I’ll have to check with Inspector John.”

“Okay. Well I’m not going anywhere until Monday. For today I’m keeping Vigil with Bab’s, what time will the girls be coming to the hospital?”

“We’ll be there by eleven this morning. We’ll talk more about this then.”

“Okay. Bye for now.”

“Bye darling. Look after yourself and be vigilant.”

“You bet!” Lola finished as she pocketed her mobile and spotted the Surgeon Mr Jacobs, going to Bab’s Bedside.

She waited tactfully and discreetly in the annexe then made herself visible to him when she could see he was finished. Mr Jacobs looked up and smiled before motioning with his eyes to tell Lola to follow him. She did so and he took her to the ward sister’s office.

“I’m glad you have not informed her yet. Well done young lady.”

“Will it be safe to tell her at lunch time; her other daughters are coming back?”

“Yes, but not too much excitement. The ward sister will attend anyway. Bab’s is still very weak from loss of blood.”

“Does she need any more?” Lola asked as concern cracked her brave façade.

“No. She’s doing fine Lola. Give her a week and you can take her home.”

Lola did not mention that she was scheduled for her own surgery before then. There were enough problems to deal with. After Mr Jacob’s left, Lola shared a cup of tea with the ward sister and explained.

“I won’t be here next week; I’m going into hospital for my own surgery. I’ll have to organise care for Nan.”

“Oh dear, what’s wrong?”

Lola was reluctant to say after learning of how Erica had been treated concerning her revelation about her HIV status, but she decided there was nothing to lose.

“Uuhm, I’m the same as my nan. I’m going for my op on Monday and they’re operating on the Tuesday.” I’ll be out of action for at last a week, more likely two.”

The sister’s eyes widened with surprise.

“Good God Lola! You’re saying you’re transgendered!”

Lola nodded and shrugged self-consciously.

“Bloody hell girl! You’re good. I’d have never guessed.”

“Yeah, well that’s down to Bab’s fighting for my hormones when she found me trussed up in the black bags. She rescued me from a frozen gully in thick snow and ice so I owe my Nan everything. She understands.”

The sister was browsing through the notes that Mr Jacob’s had just annotated and she frowned.

“I see he’s put you down as next-of-kin. I thought the police brought her here as one of their patients under their protection.”

“She still is because of the shooting but after the blood thing they had my DNA checked. Technically, I am Bab’s next-of-kin. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, she was apparently my grandfather.”

“Good God! So now you’ve got a relative. That must be reassuring; to find your roots that is.”

“It’s more reassuring to find I’ve got a relative that cares. I don’t see her as my grandfather, I still see her as my adoptive Nan. But it’s nice to find that we are blood.”

“How do you think your adoptive sisters will react?” The ever alert sister checked.

“It won’t affect or change anything. I’ll do my damnedest to see that nothing changes between us all.”

“Well done girl. Have you had your breakfast?”

Lola suddenly realised she was quite hungry.

ooo000ooo

Lola returned to Bab’s ward to find Gareth back on guard duty so they chatted very quietly because Bab’s was sleeping.

“What’s the situation down at Canal cottage?” She whispered to Gareth

“The cats are missing Bab’s but that surgeon Aaron and his family seem to have taken over their care. As to the security thing, we’ve found no evidence pointing to a direct security breach. The gang identified Bab’s from the court-cases and you girls always being around her. When they noticed she wasn't always with you, they decided to wait and ambush her at the courts.”

“So my thoughts were right.” Lola pressed.

“Pretty much. Anyway, capturing the shooters has given us an even deeper insight into the gangs. The connectivity between the gangs and the ‘Mr Bigs’ is being exposed more and more. We think we’ve got the big players nailed.”

“Will we ever be safe though,” Lola wondered, “you know me, Bab’s and the girls?”

“I should think so. We’ve dredged up an awful lot of filth and it’s pretty much broken the business here and in Europe. Turkey remains to be seen, but we’ve even got hopes there. The Turks are still pretty pissed at the killing of that reporter by the Saudis and Erica is one of their star witnesses concerning the trafficking of young girls for prostitution. She’s one of the only known survivors and she’s bloody lucky to be alive. We want to keep it that way!”

“Amen to that,” Lola agreed as she heard the distant sounds of the girls arriving with Bridie.

She put her head around the door and made a ‘shush’ sign with her finger to her lips then stood aside to let the girls gather silently around the bed. The ward sister appeared to check that Bab’s wasn’t unduly disturbed then retreated to her office.

Realising they would get little response from the sleeping Bab’s the girls turned to Lola for news. She explained that Bab’s was mildly sedated but not in a medically induced coma.

“Come down to the television room, I’ve got some news for you all.”

Curious, the girls and Sergeant Bridie trudged down the corridor and swept into the empty television room. Lola chose a chair by the large bay window and from her little shoulder bag she took several pages of a letter stapled to some technical readouts. The others pulled up chairs around the little coffee table and settled down to listen. Bridie, anticipating some important news, quietly closed the door then joined the group as Lola looked up.

“I’ve had some really odd but exciting news.”

She held up the top letter with the hospital heading on it.

“These DNA results from the university reckon that Bab’s was my grandfather.”

“What! Your real grand-dad?” Olivia almost squealed.

“Yes!” Lola confirmed.

“But she’s our nan.” Erica countered.

Lola paused as she realised that Erica, Angela and Olivia were not fully aware of Bab’s history. She now had to reveal the truth.

“Uuuhm, I shouldn’t really say this but Bab’s is like me. She’s tran’s and she had the op donkey’s years ago.”

“What! You mean our Nan was really a man once,” Angela pressed, just to be sure she had heard correctly.

“Yes, Nan – our Nan. She used to be a man; didn’t she Bridie?”

“I’m not sure you should have told them that.” Bridie censured Lola mildly. “That's Bab's private information. Does Bab’s know about this blood relationship connection?”

“I haven’t told her. I was told to break it to her gently.”

“Exactly Lola. I’m a bit angry with you for having told the girls before telling Bab’s. It’s her private information.”

Lola realised she had inadvertently ‘jumped-the-gun’ and went immediately to try and repair the damage.

“Shit! Shit, shit, shit. I’m sorry Bridie, I was so excited I -, well it's my indormation as well ”

She turned to the girls and begged them.

“Please don’t say anything to Nan until I’ve had a chance to sort this. The surgeon said the news might shock her and harm her.”

Bridie intervened yet again to try and sort the problem.

“It’s true girls, Mr Jacob’s the surgeon told me that as well.”

“But it’s good news isn’t it." Olivia pressed. "Lola’s found some real family and Nan’s got a real grand-daughter.”

“Yeah but Nan might feel guilty about the break-up all those years ago.” Erica pointed out.

“Well it’s our job to make sure that she doesn’t. We’ve got to congratulate her and make her feel good.” Olivia emphasised.

“Well first, Lola’s got to break the news to Nan and she’s got to ensure Nan that’s she’s glad she’s found family!” Angela added.

Erica reinforced the idea.

“Right Lola. We’ll stay quiet until you and Nan get your stuff sorted.”

“Thanks girls,” replied a tearful but relieved Lola as Bridie reached out to hug and reassure her.

“Do you want to do it now?” Bridie asked.

“I’ll see what the ward sister says. She seems to have a knack for this sort of stuff.”

The girls motioned to Lola to return to Bab’s ward and see what the situation was,

ooo000ooo

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

Nice to see how the story is progressing. Thank you for sharing with us. And I am looking forward to find out how Barbara takes to finding her own blood and kin. And maybe Lola can step into the role of legal guardian for her sisters.

And I really hope that Erica, Olivia and Angela do not get more re-victimized and traumatized by the judicial system, and especially by the defense attorneys. Since, unfortunately, that is the case more often than not, in order to shift the responsibility, blame and culpability from the perpetrator to the victim.

In that twisted logic, if the raper/abuser can not be held accountable for acting on [baser] instincts triggered by the supposed "invitation" of the victim, and therefor the responsibility lies with the victim, just as a cow in heat is responsible for triggering the bull to jump her and inseminate her, that means that the perpetrator should be kept segregated from the herd until somebody responsible decides when, where and with whom he may copulate. Add the thought, that way over 90% of the bulls born get castrated before puberty.

Take No Chances

joannebarbarella's picture

I did guess that the girls' new home might be Denton Hall but I didn't see the need to reside in Holland (which should have been obvious if I had been paying attention).

I don't think Babs will be too upset about being "outed" by Lola as she's probably been through it all before and no harm was intended and the girls have taken it in their stride.

The toilet cleaned in the UK

Jamie Lee's picture

With the trial maybe the toilet has been cleaned in the UK, at least the tube size toilet. There will still be the individual insane enough to want that sort of action.

The real pain will be getting the girls safely to Holland for that trial. The big pigs could still have influence with the right people who could be hired to make an accident happen if it's known how the girls will travel. The best way to do this is to have several choices planned but keep one unknown until the day they leave. That way if anyone hired to create an accident will find it difficult to prime all choices, and be unable to setup the secret choice taken at the last minute.

Lola, and Bab's, staying with Callie is the safest choice bar none. Even so, the pigs on high may still take the chance to go after them at Callie's. Should this happen, and the attackers are taken alive, it would be further nails driven into the coffins of those on high.

Others have feelings too.

One thing

that I don't think has been addressed, there is no way that they could be doing surgery after the amount of blood that Lola has just donated.