Protective Coloring

Printer-friendly version

Protective Coloring

Humans are a weird species.

Yeah, I know, that’s probably not a shock, but let me give you an example.

You may have noticed that if you hang around people with a particular accent or way of speaking, you start to pick it up, and sound more like them the more time you spend with them.

I guess its like protective coloring. We want to belong, to not stand out.

Like I knew a fellow who moved from Canada to Nashville, and within a year, he was you’alling like a native, and there are other examples I could give you.

Like myself.

See things changed for me when I went to high school. I got involved with the Drama group, and for some reason, the girls there decided to kind of adopt me.

They seemed to see me as kind of like a dog who had been rescued, afraid of people but desperately wanting to be able to trust them at the same time.

And the more time I spent hanging around the girls, the more I sounded like them. My voice, which was never very deep softened, and I found myself ending each sentence with a slight inflection like i was asking a question even when I was making a statement.

And it wasnt just my voice. My walk, the way I moved my hands, everything became more and more feminine.

And even my mind started to be affected. I started thinking of girls as “us” and boys as “them”.

And honestly I wasnt even aware of the changes, even when the girls started referring to me as an honorary girl, at least not at first.

That changed the summer before I started grade twelve, and I spent some time at one of the girls’ homes. She and another girl decided it was too hot, and took off their pants and tops, and soon had persuaded me to do the same.

Any regular hetro boy finding himself with two beautiful girls, all three of them only in their underwear, would probably be in heaven, but I realized what I felt was less an attraction and more envy.

That I wanted to be a pretty girl just like them.

Eventually, I’d tell someone, and then more someones and began a transition, and honestly I got very very lucky. If people noticed my more feminine wardrobe, they didnt say anything, and I got the impression that as far as most people were concerned I was a tomboy who finally grew up and wanted to explore her womanhood.

The fact I had an extra appendage between my legs was regarded as a minor birth defect, an inconvenience at best.

And eventually, I came around to feeling the same.

I was Dorothy Colleen, and I was a woman.

And I couldnt be happier with that.

End.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Strange title and description

Strange title and description there.

I'm intrigued.

Nice quick read! And I'm happy for you!

Sweet - Protective Coloring

I didn't know what to expect upon starting to read this. But it seems that's what we all do eventually; join like minded others to feel unified and for support. Thank you.

>>> Kay

finding like minded people

its always good when you can manage that. hugs !

DogSig.png

Short and sweet

Amethyst's picture

Another short piece that gets you right in the heart Dot. It looks like your muse is back and I for one couldn't be happier.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hmmm.....

Like there was any question of this?
All Girly Girl! Loving Hugs, Talia

well dont tell Jaci

I wanna keep blaming her for the girl germs !

DogSig.png

Heartwarming

Daphne Xu's picture

A nice, heartwarming experience, with a nice, heartwarming ending.

-- Daphne Xu

thanks, hon

hugs

DogSig.png

you forgot a few things

its autobiographical and you started to wear dresses more and more since your such a girlie girl.

nope

Your way way more girlie. I not a fan of pink like you.

as much as you deny it

you are a girl. One hundred percent girl.

DogSig.png

Perhaps the reverse on 'coloring' ...

Might it be you were instead dropping your male protective coloring, the disguise that kept you from getting beaten up, that let you get a job, etc.

And letting your real 'coloring' shine ...

that sounds about right

I once described transitioning as like taking off a suit of armor, it had done its job of protecting me, but it was heavy, and clumsy, and uncomfortable, so it had to go.

DogSig.png

I once heard ...

... a transguy describe trying to live as a woman as being like trying to swim while wearing a wedding dress. While I got the message of what he was saying, the way you described taking off a suit of armor resonates with me more.

Interesting descriptions

RobertaME's picture

I guess we truly are all unique. That description isn't like how I felt. Being a guy was just hiding. He had no personality, no feelings, no likes or dislikes... like a blank mask with nothing on the front, not even facial features. I tried to mimic the boys, but they baffled me to the point that I stopped trying and just existed. (honestly, men still baffle me... even my own boys!)

It wasn't like wearing armor, it was like wearing a blank mask. I just ceased to exist for 20 years.

But costumes are only for Halloween, right? ;^)

If I had to describe ...

... what it felt like to me, as something I wore, I'd hafta say a rumpled wool suit that didn't fit right would be the best description. It's uncomfortable, and I need to be careful, or my pants will fall, and I'll be laughed at.

I think maybe a closer description is being in a play, and being told what my role is, then being shoved on stage without any lines. I have a vague idea of what I'm supposed to be doing, but the other actors keep getting mad at me when I miss my lines, or give me weird looks when I do improvs that don't fit in with the character I'm supposed to be portraying.

Apt

RobertaME's picture

That's a very apt way to put it... in my case though it was being shoved on stage with no idea what role I was even supposed to play! No lines, no rehearsals, and the audience booing me because I just stood there because I couldn't even fake a role I didn't understand.

That's what being a guy was like to me. They truly baffle me! I couldn't even fake it! I just did what I was required to do to survive (go to school, get a job, etc.) and the rest of the time just stood around and watched life go by. The only time I did anything was playing RPGs... and you can bet I always played a girl! (because that was a role I understood!)

Freedom

Daphne Xu's picture

The second paragraph may be an apt analogy for freedom. And freedom might entail being trapped in an ill-fitting suit that one can't escape from.

I really don't mean to denigrate freedom; the picture just came to mind.

-- Daphne Xu