The Violinist Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

It was late in the afternoon when Larry and June arrived back home. Larry had gotten the parts he needed for the motorcycles and June had the other violin. Since it was June’s turn to cook. She decided to make taco’s, refried beans and Spanish rice for dinner.

Mike had arrived home early from work. Which was unusual for him. He walks up behind June and gives her a kiss on the cheek.

“Have you been good today?”

“Yes, I went and mailed off some packages. I also picked up the other violin from the repair shop.” June adds seasoning to the hamburger.

“Well, I can’t wait to hear how the other violin sounds when you play it. How much longer till dinner?”

“Just a few minutes. Everything else is ready, I just need to put it in serving bowls.” June turns the stovetop off. She was glad they had a gas stove, instead of an electric one.

“Leave it on the stove. We can fix our plates in here and go into the living room and eat in there.” Mike didn’t see any reason to create more mess.

“Okay.” June walks over to the refrigerator and pulls out the chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese.

June grabs a bunch of plates out of the cabinet and set them on the counter. She grabs some silverware and set it next to the plates. She double checks everything “alright, dinner is ready. Come and serve yourself.”

She starts fixing her plate first and grabs a soda out of the refrigerator. She heads into the living room and set up a TV tray. She waits till the guys come in and join her.

Mike sets his TV tray up and selects a movie for them to watch as they eat. Mike glances over towards June “have you played the other violin, yet?”

“Nope, not yet. We got home later than we wanted too.” June takes a bite out of a taco.

After dinner, June cleans up and changes out of the dress she was wearing. She slips on a pair of sweatpants and a comfortable off the
shoulder t-shirt that won’t get in her way of playing.

“Come to momma.” June opens the new violin case and takes the other violin out. She tightens the bowstring.

She brings the violin up to her shoulder and pulls the bow across the strings. The violin sounded mellow, not like the other violin she found.
She starts practicing a simple song on the new violin. She stops after a few minutes. The sound coming from the new violin didn’t or doesn’t sound like the same as the other violin.

June places the new violin in its case and picks up the other violin case and opens it. She uses the same bow as she starts playing the same practice piece. The music coming from the other violin sounded a lot better.

June puts the old violin down and picks the new one up and starts playing and listens very carefully to the music. It just didn’t have that rich musical sound as the other violin did. She stops after a while “something strange is going on here.” She places the new violin back in, its case.

“Larry, Mike can you two come to my bedroom, please?” June wanted to get a second opinion. She could hear the music and she hopes Larry and Mike could.

A few seconds later Larry and Mike come walking into her bedroom. Larry was the first one to come in. Mike was a few seconds later.

“What’s wrong, June?” Both men were concerned.

“Can you guys listen to this and tell me if you notice anything?” June picks up the new violin.

“Sure.” Larry steps closer to June.

June starts playing the piece she practices with. She could still hear that the new violin didn’t sound like the other one. She stops playing after
a few minutes and switches to the other violin.

When she starts playing that one, Larry and Mike could hear the difference in them.

“That one sounds like angels singing, where the other one is lower in tone and not as clear as that one.” Larry looks towards Mike to see if he agrees.

“I have to agree with Larry, June. That one sounds like an angel singing, and the other one is more mellow, it has a lower tone or sound to it.” Mike had to agree with Larry on the two different violins.

“I want to get these violins checked out.” June looks at her husband’s.

“We could take it by the Chrysler museum or by ODU Music department and see if either one can tell us something.” Mike figures either place could tell them.

“Or take it to William and Mary. They have a nice music department and the Director is well educated.” Larry figures they should get separate opinions about the violins.

“We could travel to Washington D.C. and see if someone at the Smithsonian can help us.” June figures that would be the best bet.

“Wait, there’s The Virginia Musical Museum in Williamsburg we can take the violins too. They deal in nothing, but musical instruments and
could help us.” Mike just remembered reading something about them earlier today.

“Alright, we’ll take it to Williamsburg, first and if they can’t help us. We’ll take it to the Smithsonian and see if they can help?” Larry figures that would be a good compromise.

“Okay.” June starts putting both instruments away.

Larry and Mike leave June’s bedroom. Mike heads towards his office to see when the Musical museum opens tomorrow. He walks into his home office and sits down at his computer.

After June puts the violins away. She heads into the bathroom and takes a nice relaxing soak.

While June is soaking, she wonders what type of violin the other one is. She didn’t know much about musical instruments, except how to play them.

She closes her eyes and just enjoys the warmth from the water. She wonders what type of violin the other one was. Why did it sound so mellow, compared to the one she has been practicing on?

Once the water starts turning cold. June gets out and dries off. She doesn’t bother putting her night shirt on, as she heads towards her husband’s bedroom.

When she walks in, she notices Mike fucking Larry “you didn’t wait for me.”

“Come and join us, sweetie.” Mike just smiles at her.

“Okay.”

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One could be a viola

Samantha Heart's picture

Insted of a violin but we will find out.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.