Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *38*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 38*
New Order

 

To be fair, the rest of them weren’t much behind, by the time we passed the sawmill we were back together. From here its not far back to Altenahr, down to the main road at Ahrbrück then less than five from there along the valley.

"This the road we went out on?” Mark asked as we passed the rail terminus.
"Uh huh.”
"Thought so, recognised that car back there.”
"Car?”
"Some sort of old Porsche I think, right bit of kit.”
"I know someone with a Porsche.”
"Nice, what model?”
"One of those four wheel drive things.”
"Pah! That's not a real Porsche, if its got more than two seats its a Volkswagen,” he espoused.
"Whatever, its got a Porsche badge on it, I suppose the tractors aren’t real either?”
"Only one seat, classic Porsche!” he stated with an almost straight face.
"Next right!” I called forward as we approached the Kreuzberg turn and the run in to Altenahr.

 

"Last sign!” Mand shouted as we approached the garage.

Bum, I was hoping to get the drop on Cav. Well its not over until its over as they say, I do at least know where the sign is, the others will be sprinting blind. A quick glance behind, clear, clunk, clunk and go.

"Go on Gab!”
"Get her Mark!”

The comments were partisan to say the least. It wasn’t a long sprint but it was fast being slightly downhill, I gave one last thrust forward and sat up. Mark whooshed past, another couple of metres and he’d have had me despite my head start, I'm gonna have use every trick in the book to best him when we’re racing.

Moments later we were back at the bahnhof, the rest came in in dribs and drabs, seems other than me and Cav only Mand, Tal and Daz made any effort for the sign. We were already drinking and comparing boasts when the minibus pulled in behind Josh – I wondered where he’d got to.

"Wassup Geordie lad?” Jamie queried.
"Puncture man, just as we came off the main road.”
"Gab beat Cav,” Sal advised him.
"Only just,” the Rocket pointed out.
"She still beat you,” Claire mentioned.

Dad came over to where we were stood by the Hymer.

"Okay folks, good session now if you want to eat I suggest we get the bikes stowed.”

Bike riders and food – there was no need for a repeat request.

"See you later,” I suggested.
"Where are you off to?” Dad queried.
"Home?”
"You not wanting to eat?”
"Yeah,” I allowed, "There’s some ham and pasta in the fridge.”
"Or you can come to Neuweid and join the rest of us for one of Angela’s dinners.”
"I'm in,” Mand enthused.
"If you put it that way,” I added.
“Best get sorted then,” Dad suggested.

 

There seemed to be a natural selection with the transport, BC in the minibus and Apollinaris in the camper – except for Geth who we’ve sort of adopted after the weekends exploits. The journey to the Rhein and across to Neuweid took best part of an hour, there really isn’t a quick route. Its my first visit to the training hub and whilst we’ve been saying its at Neuweid its not, well its just outside the town, a place called Niederbieber, Neuweid is easier to say!

Anyhow it wasn’t quite what I was expecting, I had some vague ideas of a huge ranch with loads of rooms, what it actually is is an old apartment block which has been used until quite recently for college boarders – I guess a bit like university accommodation.

"Right, showers, dinner in thirty,” Angela told the arriving masses in passable English.
"Er what about us,” Mand queried.
"You can use room eight,” Angela advised.
"Wish I'd known, I don’t fancy putting this stuff back on,” I opined, I was even in just socks as my Keds are locked safely in the kiosk.
"You not got any kit?” Angela posed.
"We weren’t expecting to be coming down here,” I pointed out.
"Your papa! Right, go shower, there should be towels in there, I'll see if I can rustle something up for you to wear. No shoes either Gaby?”
"Erm,” I managed.
"On with you.”

 

Which is how I found myself wearing Claire’s slippers and other donated clothing from the girls in the house. Not stylish but not smelly either. By the time I reached the dining room the rest were already digging into the buffet that Angela has put on.

"Nice outfit Bond,” Cav grinned.
I shrugged, "We can’t all be runway models.”

There was a bit of chuckling and at least one person choking, Cav is a bit particular about what he wears.

"Its an interesting look lassie,” Jamie offered.

To be honest, that's being kind, a pink T with some glittery inscription topping lime green shorts, well given a choice of this stuff or smelly bike kit what would you do? I headed over to the food and started loading a plate with annoyingly healthy looking food, no Pommes, no würst, or even Frikadel. Instead there was four bean salad, fish, chicken and pasta, urgh!

"What’s that?” Mand queried.
"What?”
"In the tureen thingy.”
I lifted the lid, "Now we’re talking, Stroganoff!”

 

"This is all a bit healthy,” I suggest after finding a seat at the communal table.
“’s not bad,” Geth pointed out.
"Caroline says we’re on some sort of performance diet,” Sal supplied from down the table, "Pass the water jug Josh.”
"I guess that rules out roast dinners then.”
"Gab does great roasts,” Mand supplied.
"Nothing wrong with this, better than mums cooking,” Daz offered.
"So you work at that café place then Gabs?” Laura enquired.
"Sort of a manager,” I got out around a mouthful of the Stroganoff.
"Manager?”
"My friends parents own it.”
"I can’t imagine working like that,” Claire opined.
"Its not so common in the east,” Gret put in.
"Most of my friends have jobs,” I noted.

The conversation moved on to other things, it was gone nine by the time eating was done and the table mostly cleared. I sort of felt obliged to help with the clear up, its hardly fair to leave it to Angela.

"You two ready?” Dad enquired.
"I guess,” I allowed adding more cutlery to the bucket.
"Already,” Mand sighed.
"It’ll be ten before we get home,” Dad pointed out.
"I guess,” she allowed.
"I'll just have a wee first,” I suggest.
"I'll see you outside,” Dad promised.

 

"So what do you think?” Dad asked as we headed down to Neuweid and our river crossing.
"What about?”
"The house?”
“’S better than Manchester.”
"You can say that again,” Mand added.
"It’s better than Manchester,” I repeated.
"Well?” Dad pressed.
"Are they really on a diet?” I queried in turn.
"Not as such, just a bit more balanced than some of them are used to, no fry-ups, more green stuff, less red meat, maybe we should get you on it?”
"As if!”
"We’ll have to see how they get on at the house.”

I didn’t like the sound of that, next he’ll be banning cake!

 

"What’s up with you,” Con enquired as we waited for Mr T to return from the apartment, we’re catching a ride with our bread delivery this morning, we’ll get the Express home later.
"Nothing, just feeling a bit, you know, offish.”
"You want something?”
"Pflaumküchen?” I suggested.
"That’s not what I meant.”
"I know, but it always cheers me up.”
"Whatever.”
Therese chuckled, "Go on Gaby, I'm sure we can afford a slice.”
I brightened immediately, "Thanks!”

Con rolled her seeing orbits.

 

I hummed along to the radio as we spluttered up the valley.

"Max said you were singing on Friday night,” Con stated.
"When’d you see Max?”
"Sunday, he stopped on the way up to the stables.”
"Right, he never said.”
"So what did you sing?”
"I just sort of joined in for a bit.”
"Not how Max told it.”
"Okay, I did some Nena,” I admitted.
"You have a fine voice Gaby,” Herr Thesing suggested from up front.
"Not really,” I replied, the colour rising in my cheeks.
"I bet you did Luftballons,” Con mentioned before croaking the first line, ”Hast du etwas Zeit für mich?”

I couldn’t help myself, I slipped straight into the rest of the opening stanza,

“Dann singe ich ein Lied für dich
Von 99 Luftballons auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont
Denkst di vielleicht grad an mich?
Dann singe ich ein Lied für dich
Von 99 Luftballons und, dass sowas von sowas kommt.”

 

I ended singing all the way through, which earnt some funny looks when we stopped at the roadworks.

"You sing better than most of that rubbish you girls listen to,” Mr T stated when I finished.
"Its not rubbish.” Con pouted.
"I do not!” I added.
"Yes you do!” both Thesing's told me forcefully.
"It was just a bit of fun,” I mentioned without too much conviction.

And so started another day of culinary non adventure, nothing to see, nothing healthy here!

 

© Maddy Bell 14.06.17

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay, it's Sunday!

Hooray!!! Another episode!

Whatever next.

Podracer's picture

Haha - the Singing Kiosk; sausage and a song ;-)
Healthy training, hm? We are a long way from Alf Tupper these days.

"Reach for the sun."

Love it...

"nothing to see, nothing healthy here!"
... move on to the next chapter!

Denying her abilities

Jamie Lee's picture

Why does Gaby always deny something when she's paid a compliment? She's told she beautiful and she denies it. She's told she's cute and she angrily denies it. Now it's the fine singing voice she gas, which she also denies.

Why does she belittle herself by denying something others see as true? Does she think that band would ask her to sing if her voice sounded like nails scrapping across a chalkboard? Being humble is one thing. Putting herself down is just wrong.

Others have feelings too.