Castle The Series - 0099 Kæna, Morgelle, Vikki, Carley

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically. There is now an appendix of Folk words and language and one of places, food, animals, plants and minerals too. Both follow the story chapters.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00098010

TWO SCANDALOUS STORIES

KÆNA’S (26) BABE WHITEBEAM

7th of Stert Day 98

Kæna was birthing for rather less than two hours. It was her seventh child, and as she had bluntly put it, “The way out must be obvious by now.”

Though Chive was relaxed concerning events, Ivy, David and Birch were aught but. Chive asked Kæna, “Is it all right, Love, if I take Dad and Birch away with the boys, and leave Mum to Hyssop, you, the girls and Suki?”

Kæna, who knew Chive was trying to make her life easier by taking her new dad and her sister’s man away, replied, “Don’t let them become too drinkn, Love. I wish them to be able to appreciate my crafting.”

Chive kissed her and said laughing, “In the Swan? Don’t worry, Love, I’ll have Dad telling stories, and Birch can only take two glasses at most before falling asleep.”

Chive had gone on to the musician’s platform and explained to the customers his mum and dad were in expectation of becoming first time grandparents of a newbirtht, and Birch a first time uncle, so allowances had to be maekt for the quality and speed of the service at the counter, but if someone were willing to help behind the counter he would make sure it was worth her while. Pipperidge and Starlight, who had both worked for Ivy before, agreed to do half the eve each, and normal service was ensured. David had telt two scandalous and scurrilous stories concerning supposedly fictitious Folk, which were even more outrageous than usual, which the customers had loved even more than usual, though they did wonder who the tales could possibly have been based on. Birch’s wife Hyssop had had five children, but they had all been birtht the children of her previous man, and Birch had never fathered any himself. He loved his new sister and he was frightened for her, so it was not altogether surprising he drank himself to sleep. As Chive had said, it didn’t take much. Hyssop was a comfort to Kæna, as both had been to each other before, and both of them were a great comfort to Ivy, who had never birtht children.

Whitebeam had finally arrived, in the presence of a crowd of elder sisters and cousines, her aunt and her granny. When Kæna had been maekt comfortable, and Suki had left her and Whitebeam in the care of her family, Hyssop went onto the musician’s platform to announce, “Kæna and Chive have a daughter, my man will no doubt when he sobers be telt has a niece and Mum and Dad have a granddaughter. She’s Whitebeam. I suggest you drink to Kæna and Whitebeam.” She had returned and said to Ivy who had heard her, “My last remark should be good for at least a barrel and a half, Mum. Chive’s areadying them now.”

Ivy had kissed her and remarked, “When I first seeën the size of your bosom I knoewn you’d be good for trade, but I’m glad to see even under stress you keep the interests of the family first, Love.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00100010

YES DAD I’M SURE

JODIE’S (16) BABE PEACH

9th of Stert Day 100

A tenner after Peach’s birth, the crew loaded the waggons ready to finish their tour. Peach not only had a dad, she had two dozen auxiliary dads. Reedmace had been turning down men regularly once word of Jodie, and more to the point the consequent improvement in the food, had become common knowledge mongst the forestry crafters. He had taken on Oat, a horseman with good fish trapping skills, and Winkle, a young feller of sixteen released early from his apprenticeship by his ex-Master because of his skill, who was reputedly able to take geese in flight with his bow. Reedmace had also, without telling any, acquired some extra fishing tackle. This time, the trip back to camp, as had the trip to the Keep, only involved one night under canvas. Though the weather was calter it was dryer and the hard ground was easier on the horses than the axle-deep mud of Jodie’s first trip to the camp had been. The camp settled down into its usual routine, but the men were much happier, they were eating good food in pleasant surroundings, and some were spaeking of asking their wife or intendet to join them on their next tour, which Jodie thought would be a good idea. She encouraged them saying, “The company of a woman or two would be pleasant, and you would of course live and eat better.”

Reedmace’s reason for agreeing it was a good idea was because with a few women in the camp there was a possibility of recruiting female crew which would give him a wider choice of crew on his next tour, and there was a large number of highly competent women fellers and other forestry crafters. Ganger had killed a gris with his crossbow, and what they hadn’t eaten in two days Jodie had brined, according to the provisioners’ instructions, to make saltt gris, which she called bacon and ham, and the crew were looking forward to tasting it. In the meanwhile they were eating his second gris as part of a varied menu of fish, fowl and meat. However, the crew thought the biggest improvement to the food was freshly baked bread, and the presence of vegetables other than rehydrated pulses on their plates. Winkle was a moderately knowledgable forager, so the crew also enjoyed fungi and other fresh greens as additional vegetables. Even the widely available fresh crispweed was appreciated, for whilst of little taste itself it had a crisp texture and was tasty when mixt with small quantities of various pungent wild leafs that could not be eaten on their own.
Reedmace was puzzled one braekfast to see a large pile of a soft, yellow substance sprinkled with chopped, green hollow stems, which he recognised as chives from one of Jodie’s planters, atop a toasted half-bannock the size of his plate. “What is it?” he asked Jodie, reaching for his knife and fork.

“Scrambled egg on toast. I suppose you would say scrambelt. Do you not do eggs that way here?” Jodie had to wait for an answer while Reedmace and the crew maekt inroads on their braekfast.

“Delicious. No. Never hearet of it.” There were nods and mumbled agreements from the rest of the crew as they concentrated on eating. “When can we have it again?” Reedmace asked.

“To lay enough eggs for all of you takes the hens half a tenner if I don’t use any for anything else.” Jodie was refilling mugs with leaf as the men reached for extra bannocks to wipe their plates. “I’ll just get the last of the savoury bannocks for you. I’ll be baking another batch ready for dinner. If you will any more the now there are some sweet ones I baked lastday with honey. You’ve two each in your lunch tins with lingberry, but I have some left over and I’ll be baking some sweet ones too this afternoon.”

“You had these scrambelt eggs before, Ganger?” Whiteout asked.

“No,” Ganger replied. “What maekt you cook it thisday, Love?”

“I’d been planning on it for a while, but I kept using the eggs for other things. I didn’t know it was unknown here which does seem odd to me as its a very simple thing to do with eggs. Grace telt me of it, she used to cook it for several hundred school children four times a lune. She shewt me how to make omelettes too which are similar, but I’d need more eggs unless I cookt them with something else too, like the toastet bannocks or maybe some bacon, saltt gris I mean.”

“Don’t know what you opine, Reedmace,” Sandpiper said thoughtfully as he scoured the last trace of egg off his plate with a piece of bannock whilst staring hard at it as if trying to will a bit more egg to appear, “but I opine we need more hens.”

There was general agreement with that, and Reedmace said, “We’ll acquire some more for our next tour.”

Jodie telt them, “One of the hens has gone broody, Reedmace, and I’ve put some extra eggs under her like Swansdown telt me to, so with a bit of luck we’ll have a few more hens of our own. Swansdown telt me over half the chicks will be cockerels and as soon as they start to fight and bother the hens it will put the hens off laying. She said to separate them as soon as we can see they are cockerels and kill them when they are big enough to eat. I know how to kill them, but I’ve never done it, and I should rather not.”

Jodie looked at the men, and a number of them said things along the lines of, “No need, Jodie. I’ll do it for you.”

She continued, “If any of the others go broody I’ll do the same, so maybe you won’t have to buy any, Reedmace. By the time of the next tour they should be laying, or be very near to it. I would, however, like a milch goat. Solace telt me she would be happy to teach me to milk and how to look after her.”

Reedmace lookt to the men and said, “I don’t have a problem with being able to enjoy fresh milk even if it does mean the bonuses are lower. I’ll take some of my bonuses in milk. What say you?” There was universal agreement from the crew.

The weather had been kind and two lunes after their return from the Keep they still had no immediate plans to return, though all was in readyth for an instant departure should the weather suddenly change. They had eaten of a huge pike, provided by Oat, with mashed starchroots, rehydrated peas, and tansy flavoured haw sauce, one eve, when Reedmace suggested to Ganger, “We are nearly finisht here, Ganger. When we move after the winter braek, if we take a double crew, of say fifty to sixty, and you take one gang and I the other, we could make the same profit without having to craft so hard. We could each work one side of the camp, and Jodie could run the entire camp. I suspect we should be able to find someone to help her now, probably a wife of one of the crew or may hap even two or three. She telt me she intends to clean the cabins as well as the the messhall at our next site. What bethink you to crafting as equal partners on it?”

Ganger was hesitant not because he didn’t wish to, but because he wasn’t sure of his ability. Reedmace who was sure of his ability continued, “I don’t have any to follow me, none of mine are interestet in logging, so I wish to adopt Jodie and you.” Embarrassed he grimaced and continued, “I’m reluctant to part with Peach, so it’s important to me you stay with me, and Cwm will be happy regards it.” Peach was spoilt, any girl child with two dozen dads would have been, and Ganger had more than enough sense than to resent it, for her presence maekt the lifes of the men far better and as a result there was a lot less dispute twixt(1) them. That his little girl was so highly thought of just added to his pride in her, but she did seem to have a special relationship with Reedmace who could settle her almost as easily as Jodie when she was crying for no obvious reason.

Reedmace, a taciturn man, who was known to be rendered almost friendly when holding Peach, looked vulnerable, and Ganger said, “Granddad Reedmace, you’ll be laught at I’m sure, but Jodie and I should be pleast to have you as a dad. Neither of us has any family, but at least I was birtht and grew up here. I shall leave it to you to tell her, but kiss her when you tell her that you are now her dad, because having family means a lot to her.”

Reedmace said, “I doetn’t wish to take her in the beginning, but I was wrong. She had a poor start, but she has doen more than any could have expected. Are you sure you wish me to approach her of this, Ganger, rather than you telling her?”

Ganger replied, “Yes, Dad. I’m sure.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00102010

YOU WILL PAY, NOT ME

CATHERINE’S (39) BABE BRAID

11th of Stert Day 102

Catherine was glad she had taken a chance on Crane. He was a caring, loving husband, and her crafting with their clan of kine crafters was rewarding. Their four children, who had been overjoyed to have a mum at last, were a constant source of pride to her, and she couldn’t have loved them more if she had been their birth mother; she had become Folk. Maidenhair was thirteen, and she’d started her lunetimes just before Catherine had married her dad, and despite her many caring women kith she had been grateful to have a mum to have spaech with of womanhood. Eleven year old Snowberry, who had yet to start her lunetimes, was now looking forward to womanhood, and no longer dreading the embarrassment she was sure she would have had with only her father to have spaech with. She was shyer than her sister and, despite her cloesth to numerous women kin, she wouldn’t have been able to have spaech with them of womanhood. Snipe just remembered his mum had hugged and kissed him when he had hurt his foot which had maekt it bearable. Lærie, who was six, loved having a mum to tell of her friends and what they had done, but best of all Mum tucked her into bed at night, kissed her and said, “Love you, Lærie.

All the children were looking forward to their new sister. It was a great mystery to them how Mum knew it was a little girl, despite Catherine’s repeated attempts to explain how she knew. She had asked Maidenhair and Snowberry if they wished to watch their sister’s arrival. Maidenhair who had watched two of her cousines’ birthings said yes immediately. Snowberry, who had never seen a birth before, only knew what happened second hand, and was not sure she wished to see her mum in pain asked, “You will be all right won’t you, Mum?”

Catherine had reassured her saying, “There may be pain, but anything worth having in life has to be paid for, and I am prepared to pay for your sister in any way I have to. If you decide to watch your sister’s birth you will possibly see me in pain, if so, that’s the price you will have to pay. If you decide not to watch, you won’t experience the joy of your sister’s birth, and that is the price you will then pay. I’m sorry, Love, but I can’t decide for you, it has to be your decision because you are the one who will pay, not me, but no matter what you decide to do there will be a price to pay.”

Snowberry had decided two days later she wished to watch her sister’s birth. Catherine was birthing for seven hours, and Snowberry had become a little distressed towards the end, but Margæt’s reassurance that all was proceeding as it should, and Crane and Maidenhair holding her hands settled her. When Braid finally arrived Snowberry was moved to tears, and that she had nearly decided to not watch was something she didn’t wish to consider. That her mum seemed to have forgotten what she had been through as she nursed Braid matched what she had been telt. The looks on her parents’ faces as they held hands maekt her realise there were things she wouldn’t understand for a long time, but she finally accepted, though her childhood was far from over yet, she was growing up and was glad to be doing so.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00105010

EELS

SMOKED WEÄLTH

14th of Stert Day 105

Morgelle had been a married woman for four tenners. She hadn’t thought she would be pregnant so soon, but she was now convinced she was, notwithstanding no obvious, or even subtle changes. She felt no different and had noticed no changes despite the closest scrutiny of herself. Her lunetimes since her incursion had been even more unpredictable than before, but she thought the shock of incursion, and it being less than a year since she had experienced menarche would account for that. When she’d had no lunetime in Uernith she’d been unperturbed, but it was now the middle of Stert, and over the last few days she had counted days over and over again, and as near as she could calculate it was now fifty-seven days since her last lunetime, and she was experiencing none of the symptoms that warned her up to eight days in advance.

That Fritillary and Bistort were considering herself and Tuyere as the next clan chiefs in waiting was now clear to all, and though she was not bothered one way or the other, she knew Tuyere wished to be Bistort’s successor very much indeed, if only to confirm his sense of manhood, and what her man wished she wished. She knew great-grandchildren for Fritillary and Bistort would consolidate Tuyere’s position gainst his assertive cousins, who were still bitter she had chosen Tuyere as her man, so despite what she had telt Tuyere she had been desperate to become pregnant as soon as possible. Given her hips had only started to widen and her breasts to develop half a year since she had not really expected to be able to conceive for at least a year or two, and her conviction she had thrilled her for herself, but even more so for Tuyere. She left it another eight days before she telt Tuyere.

In bed, just as she was going to tell Tuyere of her probable pregnancy he said, “It will be the season for eel soon, and Bistort will be taking most of us to trap them from the nearby meres as they journey to the sea this lune. We’ll be away more than a tenner and send several waggon loads back here for packing.”

Putting off telling of her news, Morgelle looked at Tuyere and asked, “What do we do with them when they are catcht, Tuyere?”

“We normally pack them in ice for the ships to take to the Keep. Why?”

“Do we not smoke or jelly any then?”

“Smokt eel? No, I’ve never hearet of that being doen. What’s jelly eel?”

“It’s jellied eel, not jelly eel. You’d say jellyt eel. If you cook them in a little spicet sourt wine(2) and water and then reduce the liquid before putting the meat back it sets as it cools to a jelly, and you eat it calt, though I always liekt it warm rather than calt or hot. It’s a long time since I ate any. Bethink you I could keep some eels to try it?”

“Granddad would let you try aught new to see if the clan could profit from it, even more so if it providet a bit of variety for us to eat. Granddad likes his food. Best if we go to see him of it as soon as possible.”

The conversation regards eels had run its course, and Tuyere was pursuing a matter of much greater interest when Morgelle whispered, “I am sure I’m pregnant, Love. My last lunetime is now over two lunes since, and I doubt I’m going to have a lunetime in the next tenner. I don’t feel any different, and I can’t see any differences, but I’m sure I am.” Tuyere had tears in his eyes as he kissed her, and their love making was very tender. They spake of names and the things they would need for a babe. In the afterglow of their loving Morgelle said, “I wish to tell Mum and Dad, but none else yet.”

Tuyere felt he wished to shout the news so loudly that the entire Folk at the Keep could hear him from the holding, but he agreed, and with his hand on Morgelle’s still flat stomach he pondered wistfully, “I wonder how long it will be before I shall be able to feel the babe move? Do you know, Morgelle?” Morgelle didn’t, but she said she thought it varied. They went to sleep spaeking of her pregnancy and what they should be looking for in confirmation.

After braekfast nextday the couple went to see Fritillary and Bistort in their affairs chamber, which they uest for managing the clan’s trading, where they could usually be found at that time of day. Fritillary and Bistort wondered what the obviously excited couple wished to see them for, but not for long. “Mum, Dad, I’m certain I’m pregnant, and though I’m not ready to tell any one else of it yet I wisht you both to know now.” Fritillary went to Morgelle to hug her when Morgelle burst into tears saying, “I don’t know why I’m crying because I’m so happy.”

“Of course you are, Love,” her mother telt her with a spaeking look at Bistort and Tuyere over Morgelle’s shoulder advising silence. “We shan’t say aught of it till you are ready.”

Whilst Fritillary went to make some leaf, Bistort kissed his daughter and declared, “Even if I can’t tell any, that is the best news I have hearet for a long time, and it adds to the joy of Quarterday.” As Morgelle regained her composure, she nodded to Tuyere to tell Bistort of smoking eels and making jellied eel. Tuyere had barely started when Fritillary returned with the mugs of leaf on a tray. It was indeed as Tuyere had said, Bistort was very interested, especially in smoking eels. “How big is best for smoking? And what wood do you use to smoke them, Love?”

Morgelle, completely recovered replied, “May hap a foot to three feet long, but I don’t know what wood was uest, Dad. I suspect oak or beech, but probably anything that would give a tasty cooking smoke would do. My great grandda, and all his generation, refert to them as kippert(3) eels. A kipper was a heavily smokt sea fish callt a herring, which tastet like a smokt delta, so I suppose there must have been similarities in the way they were smokt.”

“At least you’ve telt me it’s a hot smoke, Love. Ælfgyfu can start from there, Morgelle. I can almost taste them now, and I don’t understand why we never considert it before. You take what ever you wish for your jellyt eels. I’m looking forward to trying them as a change from baekt eel. Gratitude, Daughter, the clan is in your debt.” The young couple left, and Bistort said to his wife, “She’s the best thing that has happent to the clan for a long time, Love, and I’m glad she chose Tuyere, but we won’t need to say aught. Just the look of her tells any with any wit at all she’s pregnant and thrillt by it.”

What Bistort had just said maekt Fritillary aware, yet again, why she had chosen agreement with Bistort, for few men would have been aware of the changes in Morgelle. “I know, Love. She’s blooming, but she may be in for a difficult time of it.”

“I know she’s not big, Love, but she has the hips of a woman not a girl surely?”

“I doetn’t mean that, Bistort. She’ll birth with no more problems than any other first time mother. I meant her emotions. She doetn’t become weepy because she was telling us, that was the effect the babe is having on her.”

A tenner later, they were in the middle of the eel harvest. Most of the clan were with them, and they were living in tents berount the cooking and eating cabin which had been constructt years over and located such that the four meres and their rivers were all easily accessible from it. Bistort joked with Morgelle as for the fourth night in a row they ate boilt eel and waxroots after a hard day’s work, “It’s truly glut or famine isn’t it, Daughter? But Ælfgyfu packing eels with ice at home for smoking later will enable us to spread the glut out considerably, and will make the harvest of much greater value to us. Too, may hap your jellyt eels will trade to the Keep too. We’ll try a few barrels if you consider it worthwhile. However, you, Daughter, are of even greater value to us.” He kissed Morgelle’s cheek as he said the last and then added as her saw her emotions beginning to overwhelm her, “But, I’m still looking forward to trying them jellyt as soon as we are home, so don’t forget will you?” Which enabled her to recover her composure almost before she lost it.

Later Tuyere had asked Bistort if it would be possible for them to build cabins for them to live in near the cooking and eating cabin when there was little else to do. “I have considert it before, Tuyere, but for one reason or another I’ve never doen aught regards it. However, you are right. So I opine we should start this year by felling the trees after the first allday frosts, and in the slack times next year build the cabins. A few days after we return I shall let it be known your first act as clan chief in waiting will be the building of the Eel Meres cabins.” Bistort grinned at his spaechless grandson and continued, “That will give me the opportunity to let your gran tell me what to say. I suggest you do likewise with your wife. That way we’ll both survive the event in comfort.”

All Tuyere managed to say was, “Yes, Granddad,” but with Morgelle to wife, a babe and now this he could not imagine being any happier. The eel harvest had been good, but when it was over none of the tired clan were unhappy to return to the comforts of home and the end of eighteen hour working days.

It had taken Bistort a long time to decide he was sure of Tuyere as future clan chief. Fritillary and Bistort’s daughter Calmth, Tuyere’s mother, had left the holding to apprentice as a healer. She had married Orca, an ingeniator, and Tuyere, her only child, was birtht and had spent his early years at the Keep. On a visit to Graill Shores, Tuyere, six at the time, had refused to return to the Keep. He loved his mum and dad, but they had eventually accepted he was happiest living with his grandparents. Bistort had worried that eventually Tuyere would wish to return to the Keep permanently. Fritillary had maekt her decision a long time since, years over, but she’d left Bistort to decide for himself, confident he would eventually agree with her. Two key factors for Bistort were Tuyere’s insistence the large flatfish were returned to the sea to breed and his relationship with Morgelle, which reminded him of his own relationship with Fritillary years over. Tuyere wasn’t any cleverer than himself, but Morgelle was as clever as Fritillary and the young couple complemented each others’ skills in a way he could appreciate if not articulate.

Morgelle’s Aunt Ælfgyfu, who was in charge of the smoke house, had started by using the usual oak chips, but because the smaller eels were thin she put green pine boughs over the chips, to cool the smoke and prevent over cooking which would have maekt the eels dry. The boughs gave the eels a pine and slightly yellow-sour(4) resinous flavour. The smoked eels proven to be delicious, the effect of the trace of pine in the smoke was a pleasant balance to the somewhat oily smoked eel, and it was decided Castle had been kind, and no further experimentation was required. Ælfgyfu, like Fritillary, had birtht many a babe and was a kind and perceptive woman. Alone in conversation with Morgelle she quietly telt her, “You need to have it over with and announce your babe, Dear, because it will betimes be obvious to all from the joy on your face. The older women are already having spaech of it, and it will be much easier for you if you can spaek of it with other women. For women there is a joy to be had, and shaert, spaeking of babes, particularly for pregnant women. Don’t deny yourself that joy, Morgelle.”

Morgelle was struggling with her emotions, and Ælfgyfu opened her arms to the young woman. Ælfgyfu was a large and wide woman with an ample bosom and features that proclaimed her kinship with Bistort. As Morgelle cried away the emotions she couldn’t control enfolded in Ælfgyfu’s embrace the older woman telt her, “The tears are part of being a woman. There is no shame, Child. Now I suggest you wash your face, and consider how you wish to tell the clan. You could always ask your mum to announce it at the eve meal, or you could of course make a song of it.”

Morgelle had come to the same conclusion concerning announcing her pregnancy. She felt different, and her body was beginning to change. “Yes, I shall. Gratitude, Auntie Ælfgyfu. I shall ask Mum to announce it. I’m not sure I could, but I should like to make a song of it to sing later. I’ll make one as a celebration for all pregnant women.”

Ælfgyfu had kissed her and said, “That will be good, a new song to put the men back in their place where they belong, Love!” The two had laught, and back in control of her emotions Morgelle had yet again considered how wonderful her life was.

Bistort had kept the entire last batch of eel from the smoke house for clan use, and Morgelle’s jellied eels were tasty. She had tried different combinations of herbs and spices. The first two batches had uest sourt wine, but though tasty, neither had been as good as what she remembered eating. She had been taking to Auntie Ælfgyfu, to see if she had any suggestions, who had sayt “The yellow-sour resin flavour from the pine boughs was tasty with the smokt eel. You could try using yellow-sour in the stead of sourt wine. Ask your Auntie Jennet, for I’m sure she will have some dryt peel and bottelt juice in the kitchen store, or you could even add a net of young pine needles to the cooking liquor.”

Jennet, who had charge of the kitchen, suggested juice rather than peel, and shewed Morgelle her extensive collection of herbs and spices. After sniffing various jars and bottles for half an hour Morgelle decided a mixture of ground and roasted sweetbean and powdered gær bark reminded her of what she had eaten before. “They go together, Morgelle, but sweetbean can become overpowering and overmuch becomes bitter.”

Morgelle had the large kettle of eel ready for cooking and asked, “How much do you suggest, Auntie?”

“The yellow-sour is very sour so I suggest a quarter of the fillth of sourt wine you uest maekt up with water and try less rather than more of the spices.” Morgelle poured the yellow-sour juice into a mug, rinsed the mug into the kettle, maekt up the fillth with water and looking questioningly at Jennet.

Jennet reached for a cooking spoon and a plate. She put a heaped spoonful of the gær on the plate and less than a quarter of a level spoonful of sweetbean with it. “That won’t risk spoiling it, Love, and if need be you can always add more next time. Now I’ll just write down in the kitchen book what you’ve doen, so you know next time.”

As Morgelle lifted the kettle onto the stove and put the required amount of water in she noticed Jennet looking closely at her waistline and then at her face. “I’m going to ask Mum to announce it at the eve meal, Auntie.” Morgelle was surprised she wasn’t tearful as she spake to Jennet. She had intended to spend an hour or two that afternoon in her chamber knitting babe bootees, but in stead she spent the time helping in the kitchen gossiping with Jennet of babes and pregnancy. Auntie Ælfgyfu had been right, there was a joy to be had, and shared, spaeking of babes, and it provided her with much inspiration for the song she had just decided to create. The jellied eel she had maekt with Jennet was a definite and popular success, and she left the spicing as it was with no pine needles, but she added a little more salt in future batches, and of course then amended Jennet’s receipt notes.

Bistort announced at the eve meal, “We are no longer sending eels packt in ice to the Keep. We shall smoke them and trade them accordingly. Morgelle, Jennet and Ælfgyfu tell me the Jellyt Eel receipt is now ready for trading, so we shall prepare a barrel for Grangon ready to go on the next ship. Both will be of great benefit to the clan, and we should be grateful to Morgelle for this new source of increast income.” There were sullen looks at this from some younger adults, women who resented Morgelle for the attraction the men felt towards her, men who resented Tuyere’s agreement with her and both who resented their status as Fritillary and Bistort’s heirs and the respect she was held in as a musician by all.

Fritillary looking berount announced, “I see resentment. I caution those who feel that way till you provide such weälth to the clan you have no entitlement to resentment. I recommend you put it to one side lest I decide to put you to one side and declare you no longer suitable as a member of the clan.” There was a long silence and several knew her words were intended for them. Bistort was generally an easy going man capable of extreme action if he thought it necessary to protect the clan, as had been seen when Furnace had confronted him, but Fritillary was much harder than he, and whilst Bistort was the heart of the clan and clan chief Fritillary was the mind of the clan and Bistort’s chief, and they both had the total support of the older clan members, for under their chiefship the once impoverished clan had prospered, so much so they’d attracted a number of skilled and gifted adults with families to join them as clan members. All knew in a matter affecting the weäl of the clan Fritillary would have the final word. She concluded with, “Morgelle has not only bringen weälth and pleasure to the clan she is also giving us new kin in a few lunes, and I shall become unpleasant if I find any upsetting a mother to be.” Fritillary was known to become glacially enraged with any she considered to be treating a pregnant woman with aught other than the utmost of consideration, and none in their right mind would willingly cross her over that issue.

Bistort knew Morgelle’s pregnancy was for the younger men who had hoped to reach agreement with her, the final blow delivered by Tuyere as he achieved the manhood they had yet to take their first step towards, and Fritillary was aware for the younger women, who had yet to find a man, Morgelle’s pregnancy terminated any sense of competition. Mothers do not compete with the unintendet. Fritillary looked to her husband to soften her words. Bistort, who felt all that had needed to be said on the subject had been said, continued in a helpful tone, “Be there any, woman or man, who would like to have spaech with me concerning their place in the clan, and how they may find opportunity to mature and grow I shall be happy to assist.” All knew that he was sincere and could be of great help in the way he had suggested. There were several young women and men who decided to avail themselfs of his offer. The matter of Morgelle and Tuyere was closed.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106010

APPLE BRANDY AND INTIMACY

CATTAIL (14) AND GUY (13)

15th of Stert Day 106

Cattail had wanted to be a beekeeper for some lunes and Jessica and Kingfisher had been delighted to accept her as an apprentice on her fourteenth birthday. Cattail was happy with the way her life was going, but had braeken her heartfriendship with Uyleign because he’d been caught making love with a much older widow. Cattail had had needs for a long time which despite her hints and encouragement Uyleign had never taken her up on, and she’d been outraged and upset by Uyleign’s rejection and perfidy. She met Guy at the Quarterday dance. Despite his quietth, which attracted her, she was perplexed by one of his age drinking apple brandy. Like all the squad Guy enjoyed a glass or two, but had never been flaught of it. Cattail had fetched him a third glass which unwisely he drank. Cattail, a buxom girl whose recent rejection had maekt her a victim her needs, fell in love with Guy thateve. Guy by no means drunk but slightly uninhibited by the brandy had no problems with the liberties Cattail taekt with his body when they taekt a walk for, as she suggested, a little kissing practice. When she put his hands inside her apron he was mesmerised by her breasts to the point where when she put his hands to her softth he could no longer think. As she eased herself to accept him the couple lost all sense of reality and spent the rest of the night making love.

The couple became heartfrienden that eve and had no regrets concerning making love but a tenner and a half later Cattail telt him she thought she was pregnant. They initially telt her parents who smiled and Briar telt them that history was repeating itself as that was how Molly became pregnant too. The couple decided to have agreement when their babe was birtht and to live with Molly and Briar.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106020

CALT MEALS AND CALTER BEDS

VIKKI (16) AND BUCKWHEAT (33)

15th of Stert Day 106

It was the fifteenth of Stert which was Third Quarterday. Sheep brought back from the far grazing grounds had been grazing the Gatherfield down for tenners, but it was only the eve before the Council had decided it was warm enough to use the Gatherfield for the main celebrations. Most of the mining and forestry crews were back at the Keep for a few days. Vikki had spent over three lunes with Aaron’s family, and as he had known would happen she had absorbed enough of the Way to survive in Folk society at the Keep. Like Carley and Bekka, she had spaken with Stonechat of her return for the Quarterday appearances.

Zoë’s example of falling in love with and rapidly marrying a man over twice her age, whom she had willingly followed onto the waggon trail so as to be with him, had unknowingly set a standard which the other women wished to equal. Vikki wished love, she wished a life with interest in it and she wished to feel secure. She had met several men at the holding who had expressed interest in her, some of who had travelled there purely to meet the three pregnant incomers, but she hadn’t met any she was interested in enough to wish to marry. She had decided she would make an appearance at third Quarterday. Stonechat had telt her if naught came of it she was well come to return to the holding to extend her knowledge of the grower craft and to try again at another Quarterday. She had also telt the three women if they did return to the holding it was unbelike they would be able to return to the Keep for fourth Quarterday due to the weather, and first Quarterday was seven lunes hence. Vikki was a moderately pretty young woman of sixteen, she was of average highth with long dark hair to her waist and pale blue eyes. She was also eight lunes pregnant, and Stonechat thought it improbable she would remain unmarried for long.

Vikki maekt the trip back to the Keep with Carley and Bekka in the waggon of Wheatear, who had cheerfully telt them, “If I weren’t a happily marryt man of fourty-four I’d run off with and marry all three of you.” They all liekt him and, as he knew and enjoyed, regarded him as a father figure. He had advised them, “When you go on the platform for your appearance no detail is too small to make sure you find the best man you possibly can. Rehearse what you are going to say, and make notes if it helps. You won’t be the first to read a prepaert spaech. What ever you do say it all and make sure you don’t leave aught out.”

The advice he gave them was clearly sensible. They all taken it to heart and did what he said concerning taking notes and rehearsing. When Vikki went onto the platform she was nervous, but looking at her notes she knew what she was going to say. “I am Vikki, and I am newfolk. I am sixteen and eight lunes pregnant. I want a husband and more children and I should like to be in a large extended family. I am not terribly bothered by age, but I do want to be loved, and I want a man I can love. I have been learning growing craft with Stonechat and Anvil. I like the craft, but I should like to keep poultry too. I am inexperienced in both crafts, and I need a man who knows what he’s doing and who will be patient teaching me. It would be advantageous if members of my new family would also help to teach me. I wish to learn, but I find learning difficult.”

Bram of the Master at arms staff on realising Vikki was finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of newfolk Vikki. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

There were a dozen or more men ranging in age from late teens to possibly fifty at the foot of the platform stairs. Bram was spaeking to his assistants loudly enough so not only they but the Folk could hear too, “As usual we shall hear the applicants in order of best match to Vikki’s requirements till such time as she has a man acceptable to her. He went over to Vikki and said, “My assistants will present them in what they consider to be the most probable order to be acceptable to you. You must not feel obligt to accept any of them. If none of them meets your requirements the rest of the Folk will have hearet of your appearance by nightfall, and we can arrange meetings for you nextday, or even later. I consider it most improbable you won’t meet a man who fits your requirements closely, but it may not be on the platform thisday.”

Vikki nodded and said, “Thank you.” She realised Bram was telling her not to accept a poor match. The first man on to the platform was a quiet looking middle highth man with a thin looking face of thirty or so. Vikki’s initial thoughts of him weren’t positive.

He spake quietly to Vikki, and the crowd had to quieten considerably to hear him, “I am Buckwheat, I am thirty-three and my wife Galingale dien birthing two years over. I lovt her greatly, and I have two children. Hawfinch is eight and Corncrake is six. I bethink me you are beautiful, and if you would let me I should come to love you before the Mother sets thisday. I should like to be father to the babe you carry under your heart, and I should like to have others with you. I have a large extendet family all looking to make any woman I take to wife well come. I craft with family on a large holding, and my family operate as part of a clan coöperative. Our holding, Cattail Mere, is a long day’s waggon from the Keep. It has a small mere uest as a stew pond for perch and ducks, and I should be willing to acquire what ever poultry you would like. All breeds of poultry are keept by at least one of my family, who would be willing to advise you. We have some of the new poultry from the last incursion. I also have a sister who keeps coneys and a cousine who keeps bees with her man. I should consider myself honourt to be lovt by you, and I too wish to love and be lovt. I am not trying to marry a substitute for my loes Galingale, but I miss her love, and I wish a new wife’s love. I wish your love.”

Vikki was intelligent enough to realise Buckwheat was trying to tell her what ever she wished from him he would do his best to give her. He really wished her love, and was probably already a good way to being in love with her simply because he wished to be. He seemed a good man, and his quietth intrigued her. The idea of making love with a man totally committed to her was an idea that moved her, and one she found to her surprise sexually arousing. She maekt her mind up. He may be the first of the many prospective men the Master at arms staff had lined up, but Bram had telt her they thought he was the best match for her. She believed not only he was a good and honest man, but he would be a good husband to her. She said, “I should enjoy being mother to your children as you have said you would enjoy being father to mine. I should like more children. If you are willing to father more with me, which I want, and you and your family will help me to learn the craft skills I shall need then I want to marry you. Is that acceptable? Do we have agreement?”

Buckwheat had tears in his eyes, and then with the odd tear running down his face replied just as quietly as before, “Yes. I wish you to be my wife.”

Vikki was flooding with tears at this, and the thoughts running through her head were embarrassing even though none else was aware of them. She walked slowly to him, and they hugged and kissed each other. Vikki remembering the protocol said in an emotion laden voice, “I thank the Folk for listening,” and they left the platform assisted by members of the Master at arms staff and Buckwheat’s kin when they reached the bottom of the stairs. The Folk, who were always happy to share in any event that was good and wholesome, cheered their agreement, and the couple left for the Gather with Buckwheat’s kin euphoric at the acquisition of a heavily pregnant and willing mother of more of their clansfolk.

Vikki had never had so much maekt of her, and wasn’t coping, till Coolmint, who, if aught, was even more pregnant than she, said to her, “I’m Coolmint, Sister Vikki. Wait till you’re slim again, then they’ll ignore you, but I’ll still have spaech with you because our wombs are the future of the clan, and we’ll remind the menfolk of that with calt meals and even calter beds till they give us the attention we insist on, won’t we?”

Coolmintʼs robustth enabled Vikki to regain her composure, and she laught and said, “I am very glad to have met you, Sister Coolmint.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106030

YOU MUST ACCEPT MY SISTER TOO

EDDIQUE (38), ANNABELLE (22) & FENDA (26)

15th of Stert Day 106

Thirty-eight year old Eddique (38) of Reedmace’s crew went on the platform looking for a wife. He was a good looking man with a full head of dark hair who like many others had lost his wife and family to the fevers. He walked to the front of the platform and began. “I am Eddique a horse logger with the Elm Tarns crew and can well support a family, though I seek a wife who must be willing to craft in the forest with me. We have Jodie as crew cook and she also looks after the crew, but there is over much for one to manage. Reedmace is more than happy to pay for some help, but suspects few women would be happy in the forest lest their man were there too. Jodie sayt she would appreciate the company of another woman or more. One who could sew or had the emergency healer training would be more than appreciated. I have no major obligations to any and have telt Sagon’s staff they may give details of my account to any woman who feels it wise to check.”

Bram of the Master at arms staff on realising Eddique was finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of Eddique Master forester. We have details of his account with Sagon if any would wish to check now. I’ll give five minutes for that before we continue. If any wish to respond let them then come and be hearet.”

Annabelle a twenty-two year old chamberer was happy with the idea of taking Eddique to husband, and considered checking his account to be pointless for if there was anything untoward to be found there he would not have maekt them available for inspection via the Master at arms office. She considered it more sensible to be first on the platform whilst others if they chose looked at Eddique’s account. Bram indicated since she was the only one on the platform she was to proceed.

“I am Annabelle and twenty-two. I would take you as my man Eddique, but you have to meet my terms. I have no family other than my sister Fenda who I have a care to. She is twenty-six and on the list of protected childhood. She is pretty but has deep limitations. At the moment we both craft as chamberers. Fenda can sew and I would be willing to take the emergency healing if we reach agreement. You must be willing to accept that where I go Fenda goes and she would live with us. Better by far if you would take us both to wife. I am not worried concerning your account, nor your obligations. I have no obligations, but having to care to Fenda means I have virtually no tokens in my account.”

Eddique nodded and said, “I do not have a problem with having two wifes, but suggests Fenda is introduced to the other unmarried men in the crew a number of who are seeking a wife. That would give her some independence, and her limitations would not matter to any logger. You say she is a chamberer who can sew. As such she would indeed be a prize indeed to the entire crew, not just her man if she could reach agreement with one. The two of you would be well come crafting together at the camp with Jodie. If that is satisfactory you have a man, and Fenda too is she is willing and can’t find a suitable man from the crew.”

Annabelle smiled and said, “You have a wife or possibly two, Eddique. I thank the Folk for their attention.” Eddique likewise expressed gratitude to the Folk and as they left Annabell took his hand.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106040

I SHALL TRY

CARLEY (19) AND DUNLIN (19)

15th of Stert Day 106

During Carley’s stay with Aaron’s family she had learnt a fair amount of the Way, yet she was still worried she hadn’t learnt enough to avoid seriously embarrassing herself. Like Vikki and Bekka, she had spaken with Stonechat of a Quarterday appearance and was thankful if necessary she could return to the holding. She knew she wished a husband for security, and she wished a family to join. She thought the men she had met at the holding who had expressed interest in her wouldn’t make enough allowance for her lack of understanding of the Way, and the idea of being married to someone like that frightened her. As a result she had decided she would make an appearance at third Quarterday.

Carley was a plain looking young woman of eighteen who only became pretty when she smiled. Her almost luminescent deep blue eyes completely dominated her appearance, and oft the attention of whomever she was spaeking with, especially if male. She was taller than average and of a slender build, though her pregnancy maekt that difficult to envisage. She had light brunette hair that had been fashionably cut before her incursion, but she was now growing it because she wished to have what she thought of as a French plait, which Beth had recently maekt fashionable mongst younger women of the Folk. She was between seven and eight lunes pregnant which was making her subject to bouts of weeping. Her volatility distressed her because she thought it was stupid, and she worried her weepith wouldn’t create a good impression. The advice Wheatear, the waggoner who had brought the three of them back from the holding to the Keep, had given them had maekt a strong impression on her, and it had forced her to consider exactly what was important to her. She had mentally thought through the details of what she was going to say at her appearance, and at the first opportunity she had written them down. When Carley went onto the platform she was nervous, yet she didn’t appear so, and she maekt no secret of looking at her notes as she spake.

“I am Carley and I am newfolk. I am eighteen and between seven and eight lunes pregnant. I want a husband with a lot of family. I should like more children, and should like especially to have the company and advice of an understanding older woman as I am unpredictably emotional due to my pregnancy, which is embarrassing, and I am still finding adjustment to Castle and the Way difficult. I have learnt a bit of the grower craft since I came to Castle and a bit of cooking too. I am more interested in cooking than growing. Someone who could provide help for me to learn more cooking would be preferable to me. I have come to understand the way of agreement on Castle and am willing to accept liking and respect with the hope of love to grow from that. Despite my preference for someone under thirty, I should rather have a much older man who would care for me and our children than a younger man who had little care.

Bram of the Master at arms staff on realising Carley was finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of newfolk Carley. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

A good-looking young man maekt his way to the platform along with several others of somewhat older appearance. Carley, watching the Master at arms staff spaeking with the men, was happy to see the younger man had been placed first to respond. He walked across to the front of the platform and addressing both Carley and the crowd nervously said, “I am Dunlin. I am nineteen, and I have just finisht my apprenticeship as a woodworker. I was fourteen when my heartfriend dien, and I have never been marryt. I don’t really understand why I am responding to your appearance, or why I wish to marry you, Carley, but I do. I admit I am young, and I have no real idea how to be a good husband or father, but I wish to be. I live with my mother, Garnet, and my sister, Catkin, who is seventeen, and I have relatives I am close to, though not many. My mother is a Refectory meat-cook, and the Keep kitchens are always seeking apprentices and lærers. My sister is an apprentice seamster and next lune is going to marry her intendet and move out of the family home to start her own, but I know she would love you as a sister. I don’t wish to move out of my mother’s chambers till I have establisht myself as a woodworker in my own right. Should you decide to accept my offer to marry you, I should do my best to make us a caring and loving family. My mother I know would wish to help us in any way she could, and she would love to be a grandma. I shouldn’t like you to believe it is only because you are pregnant I wish to marry you, but I can’t give you any reason other than I believe we should be happy together.

Carley had been thinking hard of everything Dunlin had said, and she had reached several conclusions. He was young which, she was honest enough to admit, she preferred. Though he had admitted he was not a member of a large family, he had the older woman relative she wished, his mum was a Keep cook, and she believed he was sincere in his desire to be a good family man. His obvious insecurity didn’t worry her because she had exactly the same problem, and since she knew she wasn’t insincere it wasn’t fair to assume he was. That she would become sister to his sister she knew was the norm on Castle, and she would like a sister. All things considered he had the potential to be part of a good future for her and her babe. He hadn’t mentioned love, and she grudgingly respected that. At least she wasn’t being offered what would make her suspicious, and as she had come to realise love could grow. If it didn’t a genuine liking and respect would be better than a promise of love that never materialised. She said to Dunlin, “I accept what you are saying of yourself and your family, but you haven’t mentioned the possibility of love. What is your view on that?”

“I won’t pretend I am in love with you,” Dunlin replied, “but I hope if you take me to be your man I shall come to love you, as I hope you will come to love me. I wish to be in love and to be lovt. My only experience of love is that of a boy and his heartfriend, which I may not be remembering accurately. I remember it as wonderful, and if I come to love you as much as my childish memories of love I shall be a happy man indeed, but I shan’t promise you aught other than I shall try.” Carley hearing this thought Dunlin was at the least honest, and she would be happy to marry him given what he had promised and what he had intended.

“I consider what you have said to be good reasons for reaching agreement,” Carley said.

“Then let us go and have spaech with our mother of the details of your apprenticeship.”

Carley walked over to Dunlin and taking his hand said, “I should like to meet my new mum as soon as possible.” She turned to the crowd, and said as she had been instructed, “I thank the Folk for listening,” before the pair of them left the platform.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen

99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Twixt, amongst.
2 Sourt wine, vinegar.
3 Kippert, kippered, smoked like a kipper.
4 Yellow sour, a hardy lemon.

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos