Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *39*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 39*
Wednesday Week He Loves Me

 
"You doing anything later?” Con enquired.
I shrugged my shoulders, "Dunno, not given it much thought.”

Well that's not exactly true, I've been giving it quite a bit of thought but there are some things that even your BF shouldn’t know before the event.

"You fancy going to Steff’s?”
"Maybe?”
"We could go after tea,” she suggested.
To be fair, I've not seen Steff for a bit what with one thing and another, not what I was thinking about but there are worse things than chilling with friends, "Er okay.”
"I'll give her a bell then.”
 

“Frikadel with curry sauce please,” a deep voice requested.
"Moment,” I allowed without turning.
"I've a mind to take by business elsewhere.”
"Er sorry,” I turned to find Con and my boyfriend in hysterics outsides.
"Why you...”
"It was Con’s idea,” he offered in his defence.
"Hmmph!”
"You were humming again,” Con supplied – not sure what that has to do with anything.
"You don’t really want Frikadel with curry do you?”
"Exciting as it sounds I think I'll stick to a Grillwürst.”
“Pommes?”
"You need to ask?”
"Well you could be on some health kick.”
"That’s great coming from the Fritekonigerin1,"Con opined rejoining me inside the cabin.
"Huh, I resemble that remark!”
"Go sit,” I instructed my man. Geez, what am I saying, I sound like some old hausfrau, I'll admit to boy friend but really Gab’s, get a grip!
 

"Cheers,” Max allowed as I plonked his lunch on the table and took the seat opposite.
I nicked a chip, "So what’re you up to today?”
"Horse and some more whitewashing.”
"More?”
"Gran thinks we should do the whole place.”
"Good luck on that, oh and thanks for telling Con about me singing Friday.”
"No problemo.”
"That’s not what I meant.”
"I didn’t tell her about the bed,” he pointed out.
"Nothing to tell,” I hurriedly put in.
"Yeah, but I didn’t tell her.”
"Why you...” I grabbed his sausage and took a bite, hmm not bad though I say it myself.
"Hey, no fair!”
"What’s it worth?” I dangled the food in front of him.
"Er, a fumble in the bike sheds?”
"Ew! That is so not nice, how about the vineyard?”
"Hmm, doable,” he allowed.
"Done!” I pushed the würst into his mouth, "Tonight?”
"Er o atin?” he queried around a mouthful of processed pork.
"Nah, its usually once a fortnight.” I supplied.
"Tonight it is then, seven?”
"Sounds good to me.”

I smiled to myself, a proper make out session, you can’t count Friday can you?
 

Another dry day meant we were kept fairly busy all afternoon, we seem to be the go to stop for most of the Dutch Trekkers who are at least more pleasant than those on the coach the other week. It was a bit of a rush to get everything sorted to catch the next Express, we had to run across to the station after hearing the level crossing closing! We claimed a pair of seats and sank gratefully back for the short ride home to Dernau.

"I spoke to Steff,” Con advised.
"Yeah?”
"I'll come round for you about seven?”
“’Kay.” I allowed, "Take it we’re riding?”
"Well duh.”
"Just checking.”

There was something niggling about seven tonight but what? Never mind, I'll no doubt remember later.
 

"Sugar!” I complained to myself when I finally realised my stupidity as I threaded the ring into my nostril, well he seems to like it, its not as pervy as Boris and those boots is it?

I snatched up my Handy but then was brought up short, who do I cancel? I made the decision and hit the speed dial. The number rang a couple of times before going to voicemail;
"Er hi, Gaby, er something’s come up, can we postpone tonight, call me.”

With a sigh and a shrug I got back to dressing for the evening.
 

I slung my bag and cardy into the Schauff’s basket before getting the behemoth into motion, Gott it weighs a ton!

"What’s with the look?” Con enquired as I joined her on the driveway.
"Nothing, I can’t stay too long tonight though, I've got to do some reading for my English classes.”
"They’re not for ages yet are they?”
"Couple of weeks,” I told her, "They’re on the calendar at the kiosk.”
"Take you’re word for it, come on then, time’s a wastin’!”
 

It’s good to see Steff at any time, she might not be my BF but she is my oldest friend here in Germany, well excepting Kat but I didn’t do school with Kat. No, without Steff I probably wouldn’t have ended up being friends with the other Angels. We convened outside on the ‘patio’, I use the name loosely, its really just a paved area with garden furniture at the back of the Oldberg house.

"Hmm,” Con allowed after taking a slug from her glass.
"Tante Anita’s home made,” Steff supplied.
"Who cares, its definitely drinkable.”
"Go easy Con, we’ve got to ride back,” I reminded her.
"Loosen up Gab.”
"I am,” I huffed taking a sip from my own glass.
"So what’s new?” Steff queried.

And so it began – catching up with each others lives that is.
 

"We so should!” Steff almost squealed.
"What about tents?” I asked.
"We can borrow some,” Con suggested, "Loads of people have tents.”
"No parents,” Steff almost sighed.
"Some hot boys,” Con added.
"Like who?” I enquired.
"There’s bound to be some at the Campingplatz,” Steff told us with some certainty.
"Why do we have to complicate things with boys?”
"Well some of us don’t have boyfriends,” Con stated flatly.
"S’not my fault.”
"Yeah its not her fault she grabbed the hunkmeister Con,” Steff noted.
"A...” was all I could manage as a reply.

I'm not sure where the idea of a camping trip came from but it does sound pretty cool, just us girls, on a campsite partying for a few days, no ‘rents, no timetable, do what we like when we like. Quite when we can fit it in is another matter, we‘ve all got different stuff going on – well we can dream. Anyhow it was time to adjourn, I've got ‘stuff’ to do.
 

"See you tomorrow.”
"Yeah,” I agreed, "Nite!”
"Tschussie!”

I turned into Zaungartenstraße but instead of heading home I did a U turn and watched for Con to ride out of sight. I waited a minute more just to be sure then headed back out to the turning to the fitness course through the vineyards. And there he was listening to something on his music pod thing.

"Boo!”
"Geez,” he pulled his ear buds free, "You’re late.”
"We got talking, I'm here now though.”
"Well that deserves a reward,” he suggested.
I parked my steed before following him through the gate.
"At least Frau Holdorf and her crazy dog won’t be about.”
"That's a definite plus,” he agreed as I caught up and dragged him to a stop. I reached up and planted my lips on his, now this is what its about. We snogged for a bit before breaking for air.
"Come on,” I suggested tugging him along.
 

"I wish this could go on for ever.”
"What, laying here in a vineyard?”

He’s so romantic – not!

"No dummy,” I slapped at his arm, "You and me, summer nights, snogging.”
"I can do two out of three,” he suggested turning towards me and moving in for some more tonsil hockey.
"That tickles.”
"What this,” he waggled my nose ring with his tongue – again, before moving to that most delicate of erogenous zones, my ear. Grrr!
 

"I should get home,” I suggested a while later.

It might be June but it does still get dark at night and at ten thirty its fast closing in. I know we’ve sort of got Dad’s approval but I don’t want to push my, our luck.

"You’re probably right,” he allowed sitting up.
"Well we could probably get another five minutes.”
"Hmm!”
 

We rode slowly around to Chez Bond where we resumed our snogfest.

"So,” I started between eating Max’s face again, "You coming for lunch tomorrow?”
"Expect so.”
"Curry Frikadel?”
"That’s not funny, I'd best go, someone’s in your kitchen,” he observed.

They’d been there awhile, I saw the light come on just after we arrived.

"Yeah,” I reluctantly agreed finally letting go.

He slipped his helmet on and hit the starter, the tiny motor kicking into life at the second attempt.

"See you tomorrow!”
"Nite liebchen.”
"Nite honeybunch.”

The motor revved and I watched him crawl away into the night.

 

© Maddy Bell 16.06.17

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wednesday Week never happened at all!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Oh the joys of young love! Honestly Madd, one of the ( many) great joys of your story is Gaby's Joi de Vivre, and this chapter has it in spades....takes me back as I am sure it is intended to do..The Undertones, a bottle of Cider and sharing a bag of chips sitting in the local churchyard .now that's what we used to call romance, back in the day!
Lovely stuff, genuinely had me in tears, honeybunch indeed!
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

It was probably

Maddy Bell's picture

on the radio when I was writing! A thorough search of my scribbles will reveal lots of chapters sharing titles with songs, hopefully reflecting the content, at least a little.

Thank you for the kind words, I'd be fibbing if I agreed that I was writing something deep but I think a well crafted tale should be capable of being interpreted by more than just the words on the page. That it says something to you, well I'm pretty chuffed that it does. Of course, this careful crafting is why it takes so long to write - hey that's one of my excuses and i'll defend that stance in an Undertone!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell